Satisfy those chocolate cravings in a healthy way with this paleo double chocolate mug cake. Ready in 5 minutes, it makes a delicious grain-free treat that proves that you can definitely have your cake and eat it too.
… which means you have all the time in the world to whip up this double chocolate mug cake, since it literally takes all of… err… two minutes to come together (actually, 5… but SHHH).
This is a recipe that I’ve been meaning to revisit for about a year now seeing as I first posted it waaaaaaaay back in 2013 when I really had no idea what I was doing when it came to photography (where are the vertical photos, Amanda?!?!) and SEO.
Could I have gone back and just updated that old post? Sure! But the likelihood of it being seen would have been a lot lower, and since Spoons has gained so many new readers since then (hi guys!!! ), I figured it wouldn’t hurt to bring it back into the spotlight.
So here she be!
Ain’t she a beaut?
And since I needed to remake her anyways, I decided to tinker with the original recipe a bit to see what difference a few ingredient swaps would have on the finished product. Here’s what I found:
- chocolate chips are “optional” but not really optional, if you catch my drift
- a liquid sweetener (maple syrup, honey, agave) works best, especially for the version that uses an egg
- you can use a flax egg to make these vegan, but the texture comes out slightly fudgier and less fluffy
- it’s just as delicious, though…
- … possibly more so, depending on what what kind of mouth feel you like
- no one should ever say “mouth feel”
- but this cake is also perfect for hot days since it requires no oven
- … although you could make it in the oven if you really wanted/needed to
And last but certainly not least, two of these will most likely wreck any appetite you had for dinner. Not that I’d know or anything…
But seriously! How do you say no to that delicious chocolatey face?!
It’s like, oh I’ll just take a bite so that I can take a texture shot <- logic.
Ahhh that’s a little small and you can hardly see inside the mug. Better take another <- logic.
Ahh ma gad etsh sho fushy (translation: oh my god, it’s so fudgy) <- ???
I should probably stop now or I’ll have nothing left to shoot <- logic.
Eff it. I’ll just make another one <- primal animal instinct.
Luckily, “another one” takes all of 5 minutes to put together, and nothing more than 1 bowl and 2 spoons to clean up.
2 spoons because you probably don’t want to be eating your mug cake with the same spoon you used to mix the raw batter… unless you make the egg-less version or you’re not as paranoid about food poisoning as I am.
But yeah! Thank you guys for taking a trip down memory lane with me, and I hope you enjoy this paleo and/or vegan mug cake! Again.
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 2 Tbsp (14 g) coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp (5 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg OR flax egg*
- (optional:) 1/2 – 1 Tbsp (5-10 g) dairy-free chocolate chips
- If using a flax egg, combine the ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the coconut flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder in a microwave-safe mug or bowl.
- Add the maple syrup and milk, stirring until no clumps remain. Add the egg (or flax egg), and use a fork to lightly beat it into the batter, making sure that it’s fully incorporated. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips, reserving a few to sprinkle on the top.
- Microwave on high for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, depending on microwave strength and thickness of mug.
- Remove from microwave, grab a spoon, and enjoy!
* To make a flax egg, take 1 Tbsp (7 g) of ground flax and combine it with 3 Tbsp (45 ml) of water.
- Prep Time: 3 mins
- Cook Time: 2 mins
Keywords: chocolate, easy, gluten-free, grain-free, mug cake, paleo, quick, recipe, vegan
Looking for more healthy mug cake recipes? Try one of these!