Chocolate lovers rejoice! This healthy two minute brownie is so fudgy, moist, and chocolatey that you’d never be able to tell it’s made without flour, butter, or oil. The perfect way to satisfy a chocolate craving in a vegan, gluten-free, and paleo treat that’s super quick and easy to make.
? Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to meeeee, and here’s a recipe for YOU!! ?
You need to hum that line to the tune of “Happy Birthday” for it to make any sense, but in case I totally failed at getting my point across… TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY! ?
And, as is the case more often than not, my birthday also happens to fall on the first day that most people have to head back to work/school after the holidays. I mean… there were a few days between Christmas and New Year’s where we all pretended to work, but let’s not kid ourselves — our heads were still in holiday mode, big time. Real life doesn’t start back up until today.
So how about some chocolate goodness to make the transition a little more bearable?
I can’t even tell you how long I spent mulling over what kind of recipe to post on my birthday. I was originally going to go with chocolate cake, but Spoons is a place for quick and easy recipes, and cakes don’t exactly fit that bill. Besides… my birthday is the one day of the year where I can convince someone else to do the baking for me, so I wasn’t overly keen on the idea of making my own cake.
Next up were cupcakes, but that idea fell short because: a) cupcakes are basically muffins with frosting, b) I’m not a fan of frosting (I know), and c) I was having a hard time getting excited about chocolate muffins.
Ok, what about… brownies! Everyone loves brownies! Which is why that idea almost came to fruition, until I drove myself crazy with a tonne of different recipe ideas only to realize that I didn’t have enough ingredients on hand to make a full pan of brownies.
So I improvised and made one brownie. In a mug.
Let’s talk about why you NEED this healthy 2-minute brownie in your life.
Reason #1: it’s healthy… or as healthy as you can make a brownie without sacrificing on texture and taste. I’ve seen a bunch of brownie in-a-mug recipes that call for a few tablespoons of oil and 1/4 cup of sugar… for one serving. I try not to get too hung up about stuff like that, but that’s not exactly the kind of thing I’d include in my diet on a regular basis.
This brownie, on the other hand? This incredibly fudgy, dense, and chocolatey little gem that’s made NO flour, butter, or oil, and can be made without refined sugar as well? I can happily enjoy it every.single.day. Which is basically what I’ve been doing…
Reason #2: it’s super quick and easy to make, and you don’t have to worry about having any pesky leftovers lying around. All it takes is two minutes and a handful of simple ingredients to make one perfectly sized treat that’ll knock those chocolate cravings out of the park. And the fact that it’s gluten-free, vegan, and easily made nut-free means anyone can enjoy it.
Reason #3: it’s fudgy, moist, chocolatey, and 100% guaranteed to induce inappropriate noises.
So happy birthday to me, and here’s the recipe for YOU.
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp (10 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) unsweetened almond milk*
- 1/2 medium ripe banana, mashed (50 g or 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 Tbsp (8 g) nut/seed butter of choice**
- 2 tsp (8 g) coconut palm sugar***
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- sprinkle of dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Add coconut flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder to a microwave-safe mug or bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Add milk and mashed banana, stirring until no clumps remain. Add nut butter, sugar, and vanilla, mixing well to ensure that everything is fully incorporated.
- Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on microwave strength and thickness of mug. If brownie has not set by then, continue to microwave in 30 sec intervals until desired consistency is reached.
- Carefully remove from microwave (mug will be hot!), sprinkle with chocolate chips,**** grab a spoon, and enjoy!
* If you don’t have almond milk, or you want to make this nut-free, use any milk (rice, soy, dairy, etc.) you have on hand. ** I’ve used roasted almond butter and soy nut butter, but feel free to use any nut/seed butter you have on hand. *** You could also sub this with regular brown sugar or granulated sugar. OR use 1 tsp. of maple syrup or agave to make this refined sugar free. **** You want to add the chocolate chips after baking or the brownie might not rise as well. It’ll still be hot enough coming out of the microwave to melt the chips.
Keywords: brownie in a mug, brownies, chocolate, gluten-free, healthy, microwave brownie, paleo, recipe, two minute brownie, vegan
Looking for more healthy 2-minute dessert recipes? Try one of these!