This soft and chewy chocolate chip skillet cookie requires no fancy mixers and no bowls to clean. The perfect way to satisfy that cookie craving in a flash.
I had all sorts of ambitious plans to get a weekend recap post up yesterday, but I was so exhausted by the time I got home late Sunday night, that it was all I could do not to pass out in my hallway as soon as I closed my front door. Let’s just say it was an epic weekend filled with lots of snowboarding and not much sleep — similar to this one… except slightly warmer and much sunnier.
That being said, I spent most of yesterday napping (6 hours of sleep over two days is not okay), nursing a very awkward sunburn (if you think getting the outline of sunglasses tanned onto your face is bad, try a helmet and ski goggles), and baking cookies. Or, a cookie, I guess I should say…
… a giant chocolate chip skillet cookie 😀
This was my first time making a skillet cookie, and I’m tempted to say that I may never make individual drop cookies again. Not only was this one of the softest, chewiest, and doughiest cookies I’ve ever had, but I’m kind of in love with how easy it was to make. No fancy mixers, only one “bowl” to clean [with your spoon], and no measuring/scooping out dozens of small cookies. Oh, and ice cream…
Let’s talk texture, because after the ease with which this cookie comes together, the texture is probably my favourite part (okay let’s be honest here — it is my favourite part)…
This chocolate chip skillet cookie is soft and chewy with a subtle crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth feel. A thin, crisp shell forms on the top of the cookie, easily giving way to a dense ooey, gooey interior…
And if you need more convincing, have I mentioned it goes great with ice cream?
I’d love to know if you make this (or any!) recipe! Tag @runwithspoons on Instagram and Twitter, and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!Print
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk*
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a 9-inch cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat, stirring frequently until it begins to turn golden brown; about 3 minutes. Whisk in sugars and vanilla.
- Remove skillet from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before adding in egg and egg yolk. Whisk gently until well combined. Add flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring until just incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a spatula, spread the dough until it is evenly distributed in the skillet. Bake for 18-20 minutes until edges begin to turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
* The addition of the extra egg yolk results in a softer and cakier cookie. I made one without it and it still works, so you can omit it if you wish.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Keywords: chocolate chip cookie, chocolate chip skillet cookie, skillet cookie, soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie, soft and chewy skillet cookie