This lightened-up Strawberry Greek Yogurt Banana Bread is made without butter or oil, but so soft and tender that you’d never be able to tell! Naturally sweetened and loaded with strawberry and banana flavour in each bite, it makes a great healthy alternative to a traditional favourite!
I feel like it’s been for.ev.er since I posted a recipe for you guys! Err… probably because it kind of has been 😬
I was going to try prescheduling a bunch of posts before I left, buuuuuuut I can’t for the life of me write posts ahead of time.
Like… how would I have known a couple weeks ago what I wanted to say today? What if something interesting happened between then and now that I really wanted to tell you about? I’d have to go back and change everything.
I’ve had to do the whole pre-written thing a couple of times, and each time I go to post what I wrote prior, I’m like… “uhhh… really, Amanda? Really, though?!?” This is why I rarely go back to reread old posts — the #facepalm moments are real when you’re in a different head space.
So! here I am sitting at a table overlooking the ocean, attempting to write about the strawberry Greek yogurt banana bread that I whipped up about 2 weeks ago…
I even froze some and packed it with me to refresh my memory 😉
And before you go thinking that I’m crazy for working on what’s supposed to be my vacation, you may very well be right.
BUT! It’s not that bad because: a) I like writing, b) I miss you guys, and c) it’s currently noon here and I need to hide from the sun for a while because even an SPF50 didn’t do much for the skin on my poor shoulders and chest. Let’s just say they very closely resemble the colour of the strawberries that dot this delicious banana bread…
And yes, I realize that’s a pretty horrible comparison to make, but hey man – that’s real life. I’m Canadian and fair skinned – I burn easier than… than… things that burn. Easily. <– #brainfart 😳
Luckily, this bread does better in the heat than I do, and 50 minutes in the oven not only makes it perfectly golden brown, but super tender and flavourful as well. So tender that you’d never guess it’s made without any butter or oil – just Greek yogurt and bananas to keep it nice and moist.
I added a bunch of strawberries because they pair perfectly with bananas, and you could even take things a step further and use strawberry flavoured yogurt to add even more berry flavour. OR go all out and add a [big] handful of chocolate chips – I’m kind of wishing I did that myself…
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 1 3/4 cups (210 g) whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 medium-size ripe bananas (200 g or 1 cup mashed)
- 1/2 cup (115 g) plain Greek yogurt**
- 1/4 cup (80 g) honey
- 1/4 cup (50 g) coconut palm sugar***
- 1 cup (140 g) diced strawberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (176ºC), and lightly grease a 9 x 5 (23 x 13cm) loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well combined and set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, honey, and coconut sugar. Stir until well combined before gently folding in the diced strawberries.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, spreading it out evenly, and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top starts to get too brown, you can cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil at around 35 mins.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store it in an airtight container T room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
* You can also use a mix of whole wheat and all purpose. I recommend 1 cup AP and 3/4 cup WW. ** If you want a slightly sweeter banana bread, you can also sub out the plain yogurt for a flavoured variety like vanilla or strawberry. *** You can also sub this out with brown sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
Keywords: banana bread, bananas, healthy, healthy banana bread, recipe, strawberry, strawberry banana bread
Looking for more healthy banana bread recipes? Try one of these!