This Double Chocolate Greek Yogurt Banana Bread is made without butter or oil, but so soft and tender that you’d never be able to tell! Naturally sweetened and loaded with chocolate flavour, it makes a delicious healthier alternative to a traditional favourite!
And the winner issssss…. banana bread!
I asked you guys
yesterday on Thursday what bananafied recipe you wanted to see first, and banana bread was definitely the favourite. But don’t worry, bar fans… those’ll be up for you either Monday or Tuesday, depending on how much work I can get done while I’m in the mountains this weekend.
I know, I know — working on vacation sounds a little soul-shattering — but I actually like sneaking in a little bit of writing on the way there/back (7 hours of travel time is… a lot of time), or when I wake up before the butt crack of dawn when everyone else is still asleep. Some might call it being a workaholic… I call it effectively keeping the boredom at bay ?
But I digress — back to the topic at hand!
I made this double chocolate Greek yogurt banana bread for my mom’s office Christmas party earlier this week, and I have to admit that my efforts weren’t 100% altruistic.
I mean, I [probably] would have made her something anyways, but I had the idea for this recipe written down in my blogging notebook for probably close to a month now, and I figured I’d kill two birds with one stone and make her something that I could share on Spoons too.
Some might call that a hidden agenda… I call it effectively taking advantage of an opportunity to introduce myself to some new taste testers ?
And they loved it!
Not even one slice of the two loaves I made survived, and several people even asked for the recipe. I call that a win all around.
But let’s talk deets.
This double chocolate Greek yogurt banana bread is soft, tender, subtly sweet, and loaded with chocolate flavour…
It’s based off the recipe for my much-loved Greek yogurt banana bread, with a few notable changes like the addition of a healthy dose of cocoa powder (obviously), chocolate chips, and an extra banana for flavour, sweetness, and moisture.
It’s still made without any butter or oil and very minimal amounts of refined sugar, but the result is so moist and flavourful that you’d never be able to tell.
As for the flavour itself, chocolate is definitely the most dominant, with subtle hints of banana peeking through. That makes this bread perfect for chocolate lovers, or anyone who’s looking for a delicious and healthy treat that’ll impress even the biggest skeptics!
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 1 1/2 (180 g) cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup (40 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 large, ripe banana (300 g or 1 1/2 cup mashed)
- 1/2 cup (115 g) plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (50 g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup (85 g) chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (176ºC), and lightly grease a 9 x 5 (23cm x 13cm) loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well combined and set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently. Do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, spreading it out evenly, and bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. After 45 minutes, you may wish to cover with a sheet of tin foil to prevent the top from getting too brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
* You could also make this with whole wheat pastry flour or sub our ½ of the all-purpose with whole wheat.
Keywords: anana bread, chocolate, chocolate banana bread, fat-free, Greek yogurt, Greek yogurt banana bread, healthy, quick bread, recipe
Looking for more Greek yogurt recipes? Try one of these!