These flourless double chocolate zucchini brownies are gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free, but so tender and chocoately that you’d never be able to tell they’re healthy! Whipped up in the blender in under 5 minutes flat, they make a delicious snack!
Hey, hey! It’s Spoons’ birthday! And I made us some flourless double chocolate zucchini brownies to celebrate! 🎉
So, 4 years ago, I nervously hit publish on my first post here on Spoons. I’d been in [and out] of the blog world a little longer than that, but it was August 27, 2012 when I really decided to take this whole blogging thing a little more seriously.
That’s a lie. I actually decided on it some time around the end of July if my hosting and domain renewal dates are any indication, but it took me a little longer to actually get things up and running between transferring Spoons to a self-hosted server (a painful process I conveniently blocked from my conscious memory), working out all the kinks, and going back and forth on whether I actually wanted to go through with it or not.
True story – it almost didn’t happen. I’m a super private and introverted person, and putting myself out there for anyone to see and then regularly interacting with people I’ve never met before basically went against every part of my nature.
But I did it anyways (obviously), and while it’ll still overwhelm me from time to time, I couldn’t be more grateful that I stepped out of my comfort zone.
Like… how is this my life, ya know? How did I go from pursuing a career in clinical psychology to blogging full time and anticipating the release of my first cookbook?!?
I still have no idea. I mean, this wasn’t exactly in my 10-year plan (I didn’t even know blogging could BE a plan)… and to be completely honest, it wasn’t even something I considered when I first started out. I just wrote because life gave me a story to tell and I felt like I could help others (and myself) by sharing it… which really makes me wonder if I’d be where I am now if I never got sick…
And while I might not mention that chapter of my life so much anymore (it gets harder the more removed from it you become), the desire to help, motivate, and inspire still hasn’t waned… it’s just that now I do it by sharing healthy recipes and a lighthearted, positive approach to life.
And speaking of recipes, we should probably get to that part of the post, eh? I could ramble on for a few more hours about all the things that blogging has done for me, but I figure that you clicked on this post to see some flourless double chocolate zucchini brownies and not to listen to me wax poetic about how grateful I am to be able to wake up every day and do something that I love.
I hear ya. Let’s celebrate with some brownies.
I guess I could have gone all out and tried to whip up some triple layered cake, but I didn’t really see that being practical or useful for you guys… which is something I always try to keep in mind when coming up with recipes. Like… Spoons isn’t exactly known for its fancy cakes or decadent desserts, ya know? But I’ve found a very cozy spot in the realm of healthy baking, and that’s exactly what these zucchini brownies fall under.
They’re gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, refined-sugar-free, and dairy-free so long as you use dairy-free chocolate chips (I swear by these ones). And you can also make them nut-free by using a soy nut butter like this one.
They sport some hidden veggies, and make a perfect vehicle for all those monster zucchinis that come out at this time of the year. AND you can whip them up in a blender or food processor in about 5 minutes, and enjoy them in just under 30.
So happy birthday, Spoons!!! And a big THANK YOU to you guys for making all this possible.
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 1/2 cup (128 g) almond butter*
- 1 ripe medium-sized banana (100 g)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (80 g) honey
- 1/4 cup (20 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (115 g) zucchini, shredded and squeezed of excess liquid**
- 1/4 cup (45 g) chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350F (176C) and prepare an 8×8 (20x20cm) baking pan by lining it with a sheet of parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on the sides to allow for easy removal. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients except for the zucchini and chocolate chips to a high-speed blender or food processor in the order listed, and process on high until the batter becomes smooth and creamy. Stir in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan, using a spatula to distribute it evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
* I like using almond butter because of it’s mild flavour, but you can sub it out for whatever nut butter you have on hand. Or, use a soy nut butter to make these nut-free. ** I like to place a handful of shredded zucchini between two paper towels and squeeze it over the sink.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Keywords: brownies, chocolate, dairy-free, dessert, flourless, gluten-free, grain-free, healthy, oil-free, paleo, snack, zucchini
Looking for more healthy zucchini recipes? Try one of these!
Disclosure: Some of the links included in this post may be affiliate links and I will earn a small commission if you purchase through them, at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products or services I use personally use and believe will add value to my readers. Thank you so much for your support!