Flourless banana bread muffins that are gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, oil-free and whipped up in the blender in under 5 minutes flat!
A strange thing happened to me this past weekend… I actually found myself in the company of a pair of overly spotty bananas. And no, that’s not me trying to be cute or coy — I mean that quite literally. There I was, standing in my kitchen on Sunday afternoon, staring down a pair of too-brown bananas that were sitting on my counter, and wondering how the heck I got myself into that kind of situation.
See, too-brown bananas are a rarity around these parts… I’m more likely to run out of bananas than I am to find some that are too brown, and for a few good reasons. First, I average about 2 bananas per day, meaning that most bananas end up digested before they end up too brown. Second, I have a feeling that my definition of “too-brown” might be a little browner than the average person’s, and I don’t often come across a banana that I consider too ripe to eat as-is. But, lo and behold, I met my match…
Fortunately, when life tosses you brown bananas, you can make banana bread.
Unfortunately, the idea to do so dawned on me a little late in the day and I only had about 30 minutes to spare before I needed to run out the door to head over to my parents’ for dinner… not ideal when a loaf has to spend around 50 minutes in the oven.
Fortunately, necessity is the mother of all invention, and she birthed a pretty awesome recipe this time around.
Unfortunately, using “birthed” when referring to a recipe is probably about as appealing as relating it to… well… never mind. I should probably stop there before I lose you. I think I’ll stick to pictures instead…
It’s been a handful of months since I’ve made a batch of flourless muffins, which is a handful of months too long. I love these little buggers. This batch is a tad bit different from my previous batches in that it uses two bananas instead of one and almond flour in place of half of the almond butter, but the result is the same — a soft and fluffy muffin that tastes just like a slice of banana bread and is gluten-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free, oil-free, and made in the blender in under 5 minutes flat.
I thought about tossing in a small handful of chocolate chips or slivered almonds, but I’m a fan of keeping things simple when it comes to banana bread, so I decided to leave them as-is. The extra banana makes a big difference when it comes to giving these muffins a banana bread feel, making them the prefect way to get a fix when you only have 15 minutes to spare.
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 1/4 cup (64 g) almond butter*
- 2 ripe medium bananas (200 g or 1 cup mashed)
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp (40 g) honey
- 1/2 cup (40 g) rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (28 g) almond flour/meal**
- 2 Tbsp (14 g) ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and prepare a muffin pan by spraying 9 cavities with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until oats are broken down and batter is smooth and creamy.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cavity until it is about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the tops of your muffins are set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for ~10 minutes before removing. Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
* can sub with any nut/seed butter. ** can sub with 1/4 cup more oats.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Keywords: banana bread muffins, flourless muffins, gluten-free banana bread, gluten-free muffins
Looking for more delicious flourless muffin recipes? Try one of these!