These soft and sweet flourless apple cinnamon muffins are made without flour, oil, or refined sugar. Loaded with apple, raisins, and cinnamon, they make the perfect fall treat!
Please don’t ask me what time I woke up yesterday, because then I would have to admit that I was wide awake at 3 AM (2:52 to be exact), and that’s just embarrassing. But it’s not my fault. I suffer from something called post-vacation insomnia, which is a condition where, upon returning home from a pleasant trip, the body protests and throws the whole system out of whack… usually resulting in an inability to sleep and the occasional digestive complaint. It’s like being jet lagged when you didn’t even leave your timezone. And no, that’s not an actual condition — just work with me here.
So yeah… 3 AM. I tossed and turned for a good hour before finally throwing in the towel and heading to the kitchen to make… muffins. What’s that? You were expecting something different? Something like coffee, breakfast, and blog reading? Me too. That’s how things usually go down, but not this time, apparently. This time, we made muffins…
And by “we” I mean I; and by “muffins” I mean Flourless Apple Cinnamon Muffins… with a cinnamon sugar streusel topping because, well, why not?
I think muffins may just be my favourite things to bake [and eat]. I used to be all about the cookies when I was younger, but the older I get, the more I appreciate a good muffin. And these? These are good muffins –in both the body and soul sense.
Because they’re made without flour, oil, or refined sugar, they’re a little denser and more brownie-like in consistency than your typical fluffy bakery-style muffin, but I have to admit that I may actually like this kind better. Why? First, because they have a melt-in-your-mouth doughiness… which might just be a fancy way of saying that they’re incredibly soft and moist (I know… sorry). Second, they’re ridiculously easy to whip up — we’re talking 5 minutes and 1 blender. Third… I just lost my train of thought… but you’re going to have to forgive me for that one seeing as I’m only running on about 4 hours of sleep here. The bottom line is that you need to add these muffins to your recipe lineup — they really do make a perfect fall treat.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 6 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp. quick oats
- 1 tsp. coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F and prepare a muffin pan by spraying 9 cavities with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel topping by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add all muffin ingredients except for raisins to a high-speed blender in the order listed and blend on high until oats are broken down and batter is smooth and creamy. Stir in raisins by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cavity until it is about ¾ full. Sprinkle with a small spoonful of streusel topping.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops of your muffins are set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for ~10 minutes before removing. Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
Looking for more flourless muffin recipes? Try one of these!
What do you do when you can’t sleep? Give up? Or toss and turn?
What’s your favourite kind of baked good? Cookies? Muffins? Brownies? Cakes?
More places to find me!
E-mail — [email protected]
Twitter — runwithspoons
Facebook — runningwithspoons
Pinterest — runwithspoons
Instagram — runwithspoons
Bloglovin — runningwithspoons
Snapchat — runningspoons