. WIAW … have you ever… .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on March 26, 2014

Hey, hey! Happy What I Ate Wednesday! :D

I missed you guys yesterday, but sometimes you (read: I) just need a little break, know.what.I.mean? I’d love to say that I used my day off to do all manner of exciting things, but the reality is that I spent most of it catching up on work and sleep, and hiding from the nasty flurries outside. That’s right — it snowed. But we’re not going to lament the fact that spring may have forgotten about us Edmontonians, and focus on happier things instead — like food.

Even though I could never go back to sharing all of my eats on a daily basis like I used to back when I first started blogging, I still love highlighting the occasional day because it gives me a chance to share some of my brilliant ideas with you guys (humour me). The blog world is a great place to find some meal time inspiration, so hopefully I can give you some tasty ideas :)

WIAW

Have you ever… tried adding yogurt [and salt] to your oatmeal?

Yogurty Oats

Breakfast: eggy bananafied oats layered with plain Greek yogurt, banana, and cinnamon, then topped with soy nut butter.

I know that I’ve already mentioned both of these oatmeal add-ins on several occasions, but seeing as I almost never make my oats without them, they’re definitely worth repeating. Yogurt — stirring in a couple spoonfuls of Greek yogurt after your oats have finished cooking makes them unbelievably creamy while adding a nice boost of protein. If you’re a little skeptical, don’t be. I’ve had a good handful of people telling me they tried it, and everyone loves it.

Salt — adding a pinch of sea salt to the water you use to cook your oats in is a great way to enhance their flavour. Salt tends to get a really bad rap, and I know that a lot of people avoid adding it to anything they cook, but as long as your diet doesn’t consist solely of packaged and processed foods, then you probably don’t have to worry about your sodium intake. Our bodies need sodium to function properly, and we can run into a whole host of problems if our electrolyte balance is off. Personally, I notice myself feeling a lot more lethargic when I don’t eat much salt, but a nice salty meal will perk me right up.

Have you ever… added an apple to a smoothie ?

Apple Pie Protein Smoothie

Morning snack: an apple pie protein smoothie

You’re giving me the raised eyebrow look — I know — I’ll admit that I was skeptical of this one as well. I mean, how can you get a wonderfully thick and creamy smoothie (which is what we’re all after, no?) without the addition of a banana? With oats! And Greek yogurt! And nut butter! Any combination of those three will result in a creamier smoothie, and the best part is that you can adjust the ingredients based on whether you want more proteins/carbs/fats or you’re making a meal vs. a snack. Bananas will probably always be my favourite smoothie ingredient, but it’s nice to switch things up every now and then too.

Have you ever… put together a snack plate for lunch

Savoury Snack Plate

Lunch: a snack plate made up of a Dr.Kracker crispbread, half an avocado, hummus, carrots, and dried pears.

Before I started making snack plates, lunches were basically the bane of my existence. I never really knew what I wanted, and I’d always end up feeling like I needed a little something extra, no matter what I made. Snack plates solved that problem for me. Not only do they let me satisfy any random cravings I might have by giving me a little taste of everything, but they’re also a breeze to whip up… Winning all around :D It’s actually gotten to the point where I don’t even know if I’ll ever be able to go back to traditional lunches again :lol:

Have you ever… enjoyed a bowl of sweet rice?

Sweet Rice Bowl

Afternoon snack: white basmati rice topped with plain Greek yogurt, homemade applesauce, almond butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

You guys… I’m obsessed. I’ve already professed my love for this glorious grain so I’ll try not to go on and on about how much I adore it, but I will say that while oats will always be my #1, rice definitely comes in a close second. It’s my go-to for most savoury dishes, but lately I’ve really been loving using leftovers for sweeter bowls as well. I basically dress it up like a bowl of oats with yogurt, nut butter, and fruit, and the whole thing makes me a very happy camper.

Have you ever… noticed that simple can be the most satisfying ?

Grilled Cheese for Dinner

Dinner: a grilled cheese sandwich with a glass of almond milk and an orange.

Maybe it’s because I’m usually only cooking for myself, but there are a lot of nights where I just can’t be bothered to whip up something fancy for dinner… and by something fancy, I mean anything that takes more than 10-15 minutes to make :lol: Sometimes that means mooched leftovers; sometimes it means pancakes; and sometimes it means grilled cheese and a glass of milk. No matter what it happens to be, simple and satisfying is where it’s usually at.

Have you ever… tried soy nut butter?

Banana and Wowbutter

Evening snack: a banana with Wowbutter.

I know [pesky] peanut butter is pretty much king when it comes to everyone’s favourite nut butter, and while almond, sunflower seed, and coconut butters have a pretty solid fan base as well, I don’t really ever see anyone (aside from this girl) talk about soy nut butter. That needs to change because this stuff is fantastic. Obviously I can’t tell you whether or not it actually tastes “just like peanut butter,” but it’s delicious in it’s own right. It has a really robust toasty flavour, along with a hint of sweet saltiness… and it’s so creamy I could die.

Alright friendly faces, that’s it for me today. I hope you guys have an amazing Wednesday, and I’ll see you tomorrow for Thinking Out Loud! :D

Signature

What’s something you love that I need to try? I love getting ideas from you guys!
What would you put on your ideal snack plate?
What’s your favourite nut or seed butter?

More places to find me!
E-mail — runwithspoons@hotmail.com
Twitter — runwithspoons
Facebook — runningwithspoons
Pinterest — runwithspoons
Instagram — runwithspoons
Bloglovin — runningwithspoons

1 Becky @ Olives n Wine March 26, 2014 at 5:23 am

I totally understand needing a day off! Everyone deserves breaks, especially breaks as tasty as your day was yesterday. And my favorite type of nut butter? The ol’ PB for sure ;)
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Chocolate-Peanut Butter DayMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 6:46 am

Like I said… I won’t hold it against ya ;)

3 Kate @ Baking in Yoga Pants March 26, 2014 at 5:37 am

I am all about snack plates and simple meals. As a matter of fact, almost all of our eats around here fit into one of those 2 categories :) We all need a mini break sometimes! Especially when it is snowy in almost April. Snow=Nap if you ask me!
Kate @ Baking in Yoga Pants recently posted..Workout Wednesday – Tabata Time!My Profile

4 Heather @fitncookies March 26, 2014 at 5:39 am

Everyone needs those days to catch up on life (uhm, sleep!) but I did miss you! I woke up to snow.. ugh over it! I would put an apple, some cheese and crackers, some chips, and carrots on my snack plate ;) I actually love snack plates! haha
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..New York City: Cronuts, the Highline, and Chelsea MarketMy Profile

5 Ms.J March 26, 2014 at 5:40 am

Hey, hey..guess what I made today!?
An apple pie smoothie! I could write a hold paragraph on how much I enjoyed it, but I’ll save it for tomorrows TOL post ;)
I’ve never come across soy nut butter, but it looks just like my beloved Peanut butter…sounds like it too – robusty toasty, salty sweetness.
Oooh your snack plates always look so appealing. I need to get on that when I’m standing in the kitchen at noon, without the faintest idea of what my tastebuds are hankering.
What cheese do you use in your grilled cheese?
Oh if you havne’t already, do try an almond butter, chunky applesauce toasted sandwich! And make sure to add in lots of cinnamon…it reminds me of a warm, melty cinnamon roll. Far fetched maybe – but that’s what it reminds me off. (I am kinda crazy though ;) )
Ms.J recently posted..A Promise To MyselfMy Profile

6 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 6:52 am

I’m glad you liked it, girl! And o.mi.gosh that apple AB sandwich sounds AMAZING. I’ve gone the banana AB route before, but never apple. Thanks so much for the idea! Definitely going to try it :D

7 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio March 26, 2014 at 5:43 am

Your apple smoothie sounds awesome!!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..WIAW: Traveling WestMy Profile

8 Ksenija @ With An Open Mind March 26, 2014 at 5:45 am

Sweet rice <3 you know that we definitely share this love for using up rice leftovers. It is no coincidence that one of the first things I've bought here in France was a rice cooker for my microwave. And lady, your WIAWs remind me every week to try a snack plate for lunch, but since I eat most of them at university, I usually just end up throwing random veg and grains in a lunch box and make one random salad. It's still on my to-do-list though and as soon as I've found similar crackers (these look especially tempting) I will make it happen.
Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted..I Challenge Myself to Try Something NewMy Profile

9 Hayley@healthyregards March 26, 2014 at 5:49 am

Salt in oatmeal is an essential (: Hmm I must try this sweet rice, sounds really good!
Hayley@healthyregards recently posted..So Many Eats Lately and Hayley’s Hump Day Hemp HummusMy Profile

10 Tina Muir March 26, 2014 at 5:50 am

YES to salt! And not a pinch of salt either! When I was younger, I raced in Scotland in an international competition, and that morning (I remember it so clearly), I went to the buffet breakfast, scooped myself a nice big bowl of oatmeal (or porridge as we call it at home), and took a giant spoonful. I almost spat it all over my dad! It was SALTY!!!! In Scotland their oatmeal is always salty, bleugh! Never again! A pinch of salt, YES! Salty oatmeal, hell no!
Tina Muir recently posted..Nana’s Cookies ReviewMy Profile

11 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 6:55 am

Eek! That sounds a little too extreme for my tastes as well. But Scotland… ohhhh I would love to visit it some day.

12 Natalie S March 26, 2014 at 5:55 am

I just recently started putting Greek yogurt into my oats every morning. OH. MY. GOSH. So good! Thanks for the great suggestion!

13 Jo @ Living Mint Green March 26, 2014 at 6:06 am

Simple meals and snacks are the best! One of my favs is half an avocado, slightly mashed (still in the peel), seasoned with salt & pepper, and then I scoop chunks of avo out with Marys crackers or blue corn tortilla chips. HOW can something so simple bring me so much joy?!

Idea snack plate is (and always is) hummus, olives, cucumbers, crackers and cheese and wine. Yum!!!

14 Shannon March 26, 2014 at 6:06 am

Oooh I’ve never tried soy nut butter! But you know me… ALL about the nut butters :) I love ‘em all!

Simple is almost ALWAYS the way to go for me. I eat super simply, raw, and easy. So that’s my game-plan every time I cook and pick out recipes.

Lately I have been all about vegetables. I try and eat them for every meal of the day! I have been making mashed cauliflower “rice” probably 3 times a week. And homemade guacamole too – with peppers, tomatoes, garlic…mmm!

Happy Humpity Day!
Shannon recently posted..Tuesday Tastes: What to do with CeleryMy Profile

15 Julie @ Coastal Runner Girl March 26, 2014 at 6:11 am

Your meals & snacks look so delicious! Esp. the grilled cheese… I think I’ll make one for lunch!

My ideal snack plate would have havarti dill cheese, triscuits, apple slices, grapes and a glass of white wine on the side ;)

16 Brittany March 26, 2014 at 6:11 am

Oh my goodness, YESSSS to the salt! Thank you! I actually add salt to most of the things I eat. I have orthostatic hypotension, which means I get lightheaded upon standing too quickly sometimes, and adding salt actually helps me. If you eat a healthy diet, there’s really no way that you’re getting too much sodium. I’ve never tried soy nut butter, but I may have to now!
Brittany recently posted..Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Pumpkin Protein BarsMy Profile

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 6:57 am

I have low blood pressure issues as well, and my doctor actually suggested that I add more salt to my diet. Sometimes I find that it gives me more energy than a cup of coffee :lol:

18 Sarah @pickyrunner March 26, 2014 at 6:13 am

I ate a grilled cheese for dinner last night too. It hit the spot. Simple really is the best in my book :)
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..How I’m Doing ItMy Profile

19 Juli @1000lovelthings March 26, 2014 at 6:15 am

A big fat yesssssss to everything besides the soy butter! I’ve never seen soy butter here but I would greedily grab it if I ever get my fingers on one glass! MY PRECIOUS!!!!!!
Juli @1000lovelthings recently posted..What I ate Wednesday #34 – What I ate latelyMy Profile

20 Tiff @ Love, Sweat & Beers March 26, 2014 at 6:18 am

Simple is most often most satisfying. (Bonus points, simple is also easiest to prepare. Score!)
Tiff @ Love, Sweat & Beers recently posted..Happy, Sad, & Hangry WIAWMy Profile

21 Samantha @ Anatomy of My World March 26, 2014 at 6:24 am

I miss grilled cheese. I developed lactose intolerance in college and never really grew back out of it. I’m hoping it disappears eventually though… i miss cheese…
Samantha @ Anatomy of My World recently posted..Tuesday TunesMy Profile

22 Kim@hungryhealthygirl March 26, 2014 at 6:36 am

Love adding Greek yogurt to oats, but I always forget about adding it in. Salt can do wonders for meals that need a little something extra. Since I rarely eat processed foods, I don’t worry about using it at all.

23 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body March 26, 2014 at 6:37 am

The only time I don’t add salt when making my oats (or oatbran) is when I forget! Snack plates make incredible lunches, but I only ever get then in weekends. Rice is probably my least favorite grain haha! :)
Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted..Green Lentil & Tomato Casserole – with computer buildingMy Profile

24 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 7:03 am

Aww sad face… but I promise not to hold it against you ;)

25 Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com March 26, 2014 at 6:40 am

Ahhh…your oat bowls always have me wishing I had a second breakfast of oats! Salt makes it into my almond milk cooked oats, but I haven’t added yogurt – and rice with applesauce, almond butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon – why that’s just BRILLIANT!!! I grew up eating Sri Lankan “Kiribath” which is basically overcooked, sometimes sweet, rice, but I have never topped my rice with a nutbutter or cinnamon! I am horrible with lunch too…I mostly kinda spread my snacks around between lunch and dinner…your snack plates always look incredible! If I had a snack plate, think it would take me all day to eat each thing on there…and there would have to be some chocolate covered pretzels or dark chocolate chips or something chocolate for sure! These days I am liking Justin’s maple AB a whole bunch – have not tried soy nubutter yet and since someone once had green cookies after baking with it, I have been a little reticent in digging a spoon into it!
I have learned so much from your WIAW posts – hummus pizzas, those no bake almond fudge bars/balls…oats in smoothies…would love to see what you do with Freekeh when you get your hands on some, someday. Hope you have a wonderful day, lovely lady!
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Chocoholics Beware This WIAW!My Profile

26 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 26, 2014 at 6:41 am

Yay, grilled cheese! For the past week or so, I’ve been having such a craving for grilled cheese and soup, so that’s what my dinner has looked like for the past few days. Last night I put a slice of tomato in the sandwich. So good!

I love lunch snack plates. I like adding veggies, hummus, crackers, cheese and some type of smoked meat.
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #37 – Soft and Chewy Granola BarsMy Profile

27 Chelsea March 26, 2014 at 6:50 am

Your lunch snack plates have me wanting lunch-snacks. It looks so yummy and versatile!
Also. Sweet rice = wonderful!
Happy Wednesday!
Chelsea recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday : 03/26/2014My Profile

28 Emma @ Life's A Runner March 26, 2014 at 6:51 am

I really need to get back on the snack plate train. I’ve only had them a couple of times but they are the ONLY thing that don’t leave me snacking the entire afternoon away. Carrots and chocolate are “snacks” so maybe that’s it, hah!

Annnd spring…I don’t think it forgot us. I think us Edmontonians are just mind-blowingly amazing and invented a time machine that took us back to Christmas. ;)
Emma @ Life’s A Runner recently posted..WIAW: Noms Make Me (Not) Blind.My Profile

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 7:32 am

I definitely like the way you think ;) Still… I wouldn’t mind spending a little bit of time in the summer. You know… just so Christmas time doesn’t get boring…

30 Kat March 26, 2014 at 6:56 am

This post speaks to my taste buds on so many levels. While I have not tried yogurt in my (warm) oats, only overnight oats, I am for sure giving this a shot! You sold me on the creaminess thing. That just sounds….yum :)
And snack plates for lunch…well, you know where Im at with that one! Although this week I have been bouncing around a bit for lunch with Sissy being here, but I kid you not, I totally got her hooked on snack plates as well :)
True story, TOTALLY had a grilled cheese last night.
Kat recently posted..WIAW – What I’ve been eatingMy Profile

31 Sarah March 26, 2014 at 7:02 am

I’m a big fan of sweet rice too. I usually use leftover brown rice or a brown and wild combo then add a spoonful of pumpkin, raisins, tahini, and cinnamon. Sounds odd, I know but it’s mighty tasty. Also, I highly recommended adding chunks of frozen cantaloupe to your smoothies. Half a banana and a few chunks of frozen melon (plus milk, protein powder, nut butter, yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon, or whatever else you fancy) makes for a creamy, thick drink.

Even when I don’t eat an actual snack plate my meals almost always involve severe; random items. I like to satisfy all my taste buds! :)

I have tried soy nut butter and I do like it but my heart belongs to almond butter, specifically Trader Joe’s raw unsalted creamy variety. I have yet to meet a nut butter I don’t like but ab is king around here.

32 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 7:55 am

I’ll have to try the frozen melon trick! All I have right now is honeydew, so maybe I’ll pop 1/4 of it in the freezer to see if that works. And it makes my heart happy to hear that AB is king for you :)

33 Jenn@ Mark My Miles! March 26, 2014 at 7:03 am

Today is my day off from blogging : )
I love all nut butters, I do not discriminate. Loving some now by the spoonful!
Jenn@ Mark My Miles! recently posted..PMS or Overtraining?My Profile

34 Ang @ Nutty for Life March 26, 2014 at 7:10 am

I’m gonna buy that soy nut butter and do a taste test. I think I would be a good authority on that?! My mom always used to add salt to my oatmeal when I was little (jeez I kind of miss her making my oats :() but anyway I’m gonna start doing that! I think an oatmeal kick is slowly but surely building for me … I’m about to go NUTS. Also I saw your grilled cheese on Insty and ummmm ya I need to make some asap. I’m thinking cheddar, apple and onion grilled cheese.
Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted..True Love [WIAW #42]My Profile

35 Nichole March 26, 2014 at 7:17 am

Mmm, I love making snacky plates for “meals”…your grilled cheese looks sooo tasty!
Nichole recently posted..wiaw #9My Profile

36 Tatum | EATS From The Oil Patch Blog March 26, 2014 at 7:34 am

spring forgot about us grande prairians also.. i could sure warm up with that grill cheese sammich you got there…
Tatum | EATS From The Oil Patch Blog recently posted..WIAW #12: The Girl Who Ate Pasta, Cookies & Waffles in One Day.My Profile

37 Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom.com March 26, 2014 at 7:42 am

I’ve been taking a lot of breaks lately. My mom goes on and on about how she used to eat sweet rice for breakfast almost every day in the wintertime. She made it for me once when I was little and I…. was very disrespectful and said… what the heck is this? I was probably 6 or 7 but I still remember it. And I feel bad about it too now that I think about how rude my little bum was.
Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom.com recently posted..Is working on yourself okay after recovery?My Profile

38 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 8:05 am

Awwwr. I was kind of a nightmare when I was little too — I think it’s just a thing most kids go through. You could always whip up a batch of sweet rice and tell her how much you like it, just to make it up to her ;)

39 Mayra March 26, 2014 at 7:48 am

Now I’m reeeeally interested in trying sweet rice! Never thought of doing this, and at home me and my husband have been wasting more rice then we would want to… I’ll give it a try!! Do you sweeten the rice or just mix it with those sweet things you said? From the picture it looks really good!

I love PB and AB just as much. Never tried coconut butter though! And I’m a coconut lover! I have a lot of shredded coconut at home, Would it work out if I just blend it like we do with nuts??

Have a happy day Amanda!
Mayra recently posted..Hero – Mayra Capelasso no Acesso MTV – 05/11/2012My Profile

40 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 8:08 am

I’ll usually add a little bit of brown sugar or honey to sweeten the rice, in addition to all the toppings. And for coconut butter, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some tutorials online that use shredded coconut, but I think you might have to add some melted coconut oil to get everything going.

41 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 26, 2014 at 7:53 am

Why yes, I have had a snack plate for lunch ;-) woot avocado!
And THANK YOU for the point on salt. It legit bugs me when people refuse to put salt on anything – 1. our bodies need some sodium, and 2. it makes things more flavourful! Like you said, if you generally avoid processed food, we don’t need to worry about adding a pinch with cooking.

I haven’t tried your sweet rice thing though…and I actually have a batch of plain rice cooked in the fridge right now. So…maybe I’ll have to get on that?
And a grilled cheese is definitely happening this week, ohmygoodness, all that melty cheese…

And you know I love my peanut butter….but I’ve got Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut open right now, and that jar is not going to last long…
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: All The Foods.My Profile

42 Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food March 26, 2014 at 8:10 am

Drooling over your grilled cheese. I could eat that every day! I’m the same way when it comes to dinners by myself. If it’s just me it’s usually a sandwich or just picking at random things until I’m full.
Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted..Games, girls night, and a break from routineMy Profile

43 Lucie@FitSwissChick March 26, 2014 at 8:13 am

I SO need to start with snack plates for lunch!! I really don’t like lunch and I feel exactly the same – never really satisfied. So this must change.
I am not a peanut butter fan at all!! :-) I love my Almond Butter and Coconut Butter, even PB2 freaks me out a bit.
I know you tried this before, but coconut flour in oats is absolutely amazing!! I also tried almond meal and it’s pretty delicious too!
Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted..THANK YOU and some last words on thisMy Profile

44 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 9:18 am

I completely forgot about coconut flour oats! I need those in my life again, stat. And I love you for not loving PB. Have I mentioned that we need to hang out sometime? :)

45 Cat March 26, 2014 at 8:16 am

Dried pears sound SO good right now! I’ve actually spotted that soynut butter here in the UK and was a bit skeptical but you may have convinced me to give it a whirl! (Not that I need any more nut butter obsessions in my life…)

46 Hilary March 26, 2014 at 8:17 am

One of my new favorites is cinnamon swirl laughing cow cheese on toast with warmed raspberries! It is so yummy :)
I love your snack plates! They look delicious! I would for sure have cottage cheese, turkey and rice cakes on mine, I always have this as a snack and love it! With some additions of course but those none the less !
I just say that soy butter in the store the other day and almost bought it, but for once I listened to the fact I have quite the collection going haha but next time I need nut butter I really want to try it out !
Hilary recently posted..WIAW Or Rather The WeekendMy Profile

47 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 26, 2014 at 8:20 am

I’ve never actually added salt to my oats at all, but I hear that a pinch of it lifts the flavour. I love the creamy texture that adding yoghurt to oats creates.

48 Beth @ The Small Victories March 26, 2014 at 8:27 am

Awesome. I just finished my breakfast and now I want a grilled cheese sandwich. ;) I might have to make one for lunch… with pesto and tomato. That sounds fantastic.

I’ve never put apples in a smoothie and I don’t think I ever will… I’m just not that big of a fan of apples. And there’s very few things that can rival the creaminess that a frozen banana adds to a smoothie, other ingredients be damned.
Beth @ The Small Victories recently posted..Chocolate Is A VegetableMy Profile

49 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 9:24 am

:lol: I love your commitment ;) And I’m definitely not going to argue with you on that one.

50 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 26, 2014 at 8:27 am

We all need a day off from time to time! Glad you were able to catch up on some work and sleep. Mmmm, lots of delicious eats here! Grilled cheese is such a simple and delicious meal, isn’t it?! We’ve been doing those a lot around here thanks to things be so crazy. Pair it with some soup and it’s even better! I’ve never tried soy nut butter, but I sure am intrigued!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..My Jumbled Thoughts About MovingMy Profile

51 Miss Polkadot March 26, 2014 at 8:29 am

We talked about the fact I’ve never had grilled cheese before already so yes, it needs to happen and to me will be anything but simple. Even though I feel Liz (I heart Vegetables) will tell me I need to have tomato soup on the side and that sounds like a good idea.
Something I feel everybody should try just once – no matter how strange it sounds – is adding lightly mashed chickpeas to their yogurt bowls. Add a drizzle of almond butter, a sprinkle of sea salt – perfect. And adding pear chunks to oat bran is another great one. Again with almond butter on top – so yes, that’s my favourite [non-]nut butter. We can’t find soy nut butter over here or I’d try it right away. Lame, lame country I live in. Or at least when it comes to food.
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Eating [on an] off scheduleMy Profile

52 Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli March 26, 2014 at 8:37 am

Grilled cheese makes everything better.
Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli recently posted..Weekend Eats – 3/22/14My Profile

53 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate March 26, 2014 at 9:04 am

Sooo I have done all of these…does that mean I win all of your delicious food? Eggy oats with yogurt are definitely on the menu for breakfast today.

54 Gabi March 26, 2014 at 9:07 am

I really like the “have you ever” theme Amanda. Simple and delicious is always so satisfying with meal ideas.
Something that I absolutely love is coming up with new salad mix ideas. I know salads are not satisfying for everyone, but if you put enough of the right stuff in you tummy will be full :)
I always like to add some sort of protein in the mix, with veggies, maybe fruit, or sweet potato…the list goes on and on! What do you think of salads? Ever experimented with creating your own mix?

55 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 10:13 am

Oh girl I love salads! And I completely agree that they make for a wonderful mean if done right. I tend to have a harder time eating them in the winter months, but I do love adding avocado, roasted kabocha, grilled chicken, or some chickpeas.

56 Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite March 26, 2014 at 9:13 am

I have tried the soy nutbutter but for some reason wasn’t a major fan- it just doesn’t compare to the class AB, ya know? I love the idea of adding an apple to my smoothie! I should have read this post before I made my smoothie morning ;)
Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted..WIAW: Warm the SoulMy Profile

57 Christine@ Apple of My Eye March 26, 2014 at 9:14 am

I actually have tried putting yogurt in my oats and the result is thick, creamy, and tangy! It also gives them a bit more staying power. Which is good for me because for some reason, oats just don’t keep me that full o.o.

And YES to the snack plate! I hate when I’m torn and feel like I have to choose one dish over another. I’m also a big fan of grazing when I’m reading blogs or immersed in a book :)

58 Molly @ Fresh Basil For Two March 26, 2014 at 9:22 am

I love sweet rice!! When I was little my mom and I would always take left over rice from Chinese takeout and mix in milk, cinnamon, apple sauce, vanilla yogurt and enjoy it for breakfast the next morning! I had forgotten all about that until just now!
Molly @ Fresh Basil For Two recently posted..Gilled Ginger Pork Chops and WIAWMy Profile

59 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! March 26, 2014 at 9:39 am

I am still LOVING snack plates; thanks for the idea, girl! The soy nut butter looks great; I’ve heard good things about it!!
Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted..Hawaiian Lentil ‘Neat Balls’ with Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce: Lentil Revelations Contest!My Profile

60 Krista @ Tiny n Fit March 26, 2014 at 9:58 am

I took the day off as well! I love mixing up oats- it’s such a good canvas to create anything!
Krista @ Tiny n Fit recently posted..Scenes from the WeekendMy Profile

61 Andrea@pencilsandpancakes March 26, 2014 at 10:04 am

Sweet rice…..I’m intrigued!
Andrea@pencilsandpancakes recently posted..What I ate in Buffalo- Blue MonkMy Profile

62 Ashley @MilesonOats March 26, 2014 at 10:19 am

Spoooons. Preach on honay’ (Madeas voice) and I really hope you know about the Tyler Perry Madea movies, or my reference is going to be awkward.

Thank you for kindly reminding everyone that sodium isn’t bad a thing. Social media and these “body builder lifestyle” mis-conceptions are scaring people away from salt. A little salt (especially sea-salt) here and there is necessary, and delish. Just make sure you toss a little over your shoulder, for good measure ;)

And woman, what kind of cheese did you use for that thickness?! It looks like brie…ohhh please tell me it’s brie so I can start drooling. I am sure my co-workers in the break room would love that see that, haha <3

63 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 11:01 am

Awwwkwardddddd. I actually have no idea what the Tyler Perry Madea movies are — do I need to add them to my to-watch list? And I WISH it was brie! Unfortunately, it’s only old cheddar :cry:

64 Davida @ The Healthy Maven March 26, 2014 at 10:28 am

puhhhh-leaaase I know what you really did yesterday!!! Ima steal some of my nephews Wow Butter this weekend. It really was surprisingly good! And I might be the only person who doesn’t like greek yogurt in oats. BUT I changed up the morning breakfast and had berries (frozen) and greek yogurt instead of oatmeal. Do you forgive me?!
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins with Pecan StreuselMy Profile

65 Megan @ The Skinny-Life March 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

Everyone needs a day off! Life happens. I love how you put a twist in this post. I just started adding nut butter to my oatmeal. Holly yum! Tastes like candy. I bet your sweet rice does too. Must try that one pronto.
Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted..Comment on Spring into Your Fitness & Health by Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeetsMy Profile

66 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles March 26, 2014 at 11:12 am

I really should add salt to my oats. I need more salt in my diet and that’s a good place to start. I always forget how much I love brown rice. I won’t make it for a while and then when I do, I question why I don’t do it more often. Perhaps it will be part of tonight’s dinner – which would make life pretty simple and I too enjoy a simple meal.
meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..WIAW – Then…And NowMy Profile

67 Lauren March 26, 2014 at 11:35 am

I absolutely lovvvveee jam + cheese on an English muffin. Seriously, SO good!

I must say… picking my favorite nut butter is almost impossible but I LOVE earth balances pb + coconut spread! I wish so badly you could try it!!!

68 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 12:17 pm

You and me both! And thank you for reminding me about how much I love the jam and cheese combo — that’s something that needs to find its way back into my life, stat.

69 Kim @FITsiqe March 26, 2014 at 11:43 am

Sweet rice!!! That looks so good. I always make plain, boring old rice.. or if I feel fancy I make it into a bake but NEVER have I ever tried it sweet! You may have changed my whole perspective on that little grain!
Kim @FITsiqe recently posted..Tracking Your Macros – The Ultimate GuideMy Profile

70 Christina @ the athletarian March 26, 2014 at 11:53 am

Snack plates are my fav and often look just like yours! I need to try those crackers though…I’ve never seen them before and they look so good.

I love all Justin’s nut butter. I think my fav is the chocolate hazelnut!! I really want to try the vanilla almond butter though…I hear it’s amazing. Have you tried??
Christina @ the athletarian recently posted..ALBION GIVEAWAY!My Profile

71 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Yes! It’s definitely a good choice, but almost a little TOO sweet. I like the maple one a lot more.

72 Alexis @ Hummusapien March 26, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Come onnnnnn you know I DIE for your snack plates!! I love me some apple in smoothies so I def need to try your apple pie smoothie version! Good for you for taking a day off blogging…we all need a break sometimes, that’s fo damn sho.

73 Lauren March 26, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Everything here looks so satisfying!!!!!!

74 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 26, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I’ve been wanting to give sweet rice a try for quite awhile. I love rice in all forms and I have a major sweet tooth so this seems like a natural progression!

75 Leigh Anne @ livefitandrun March 26, 2014 at 1:53 pm

That grilled Cheese looks to die for. I have a problem with grilled cheese sandwiches… what makes them so good?!
Leigh Anne @ livefitandrun recently posted..Baseball Game & Tank Top Arms [Workout]My Profile

76 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 5:49 pm

A problem making them or a problem seeing what all the fuss is about? It’s just all about the cheese :)

77 Leigh Anne March 27, 2014 at 10:06 am

A problem EATING them!

78 Mary Frances March 26, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I wish I could have greek yogurt … alas, I’ll stick to my peanut butter, although I just bought almond butter for the first time! I thought of you ;) I can’t wait to try it (I’ve restrained using a spoon so far) So we’ll see which nut butter wins out soon!
Mary Frances recently posted..Mini Funfetti Cheesecake PastriesMy Profile

79 Ellie@Fit for the soul March 26, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Good for you for listening to your mind! (instead of forcing yourself to not rest) And oh mannn I still need to try the basmati rice dish. It kind of looks and reminds me of Argentinean arroz con leche (rice+milk), but much healthier, yay! And I’ve seen those soynut butters but I’ve been really wise with my money (aka cheapskate, lol) so I haven’t been able to splurge on certain foods. Greg likes regular PB, so most of the time I sacrifice and stick to that. :P Can’t wait to give it a try though!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Guest Post: The Yoga Body MythMy Profile

80 Jessie March 26, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Well damnit! I had a jar of that soy butter in my vitacost order, but decided at the last minute to remove it from my list. Guess theres always next time now that I know it is actually good!
Jessie recently posted..Maca Latte Protein BallsMy Profile

81 Leigha @ Minougirl March 26, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I always add greek yogurt to my oats. FABULOUS. Loving all your eats, as always! I think I need to try the sweet rice. I made couscous for dinner and I have about 5 cups of leftovers in the fridge so I guess sweet couscous will be my night snack :)
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Lansing EatsMy Profile

82 Natalie @ lovenataliemarie March 26, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I have recently took your advice and added greek yogurt to my oats. The creaminess was out of this world! I have yet to try salt. I have a real sensitivity to salt.
I have not yet tried the apple in the smoothie. In due time. :)
Snack plates are all I have for lunch. I never can decide on what else!
Sadly, I have not tried sweet rice. I should get on that, huh?
The classics are the best!
Curious about the soy nut butter. ;)
Natalie @ lovenataliemarie recently posted..Ignoring the Thoughts and Eating (WIAW)My Profile

83 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 26, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I’m glad you liked it! :D But definitely try sweet rice — while it’s not exactly on the same level as oats, it’s still pretty darn good.

84 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen March 26, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Ok I really need to try yogurt in my oatmeal soon! And I totally agree with you about salt – a few years ago I used to really avoid it, but these days I liberally use it in all my cooking. It makes food taste SO much better.

Something you need to try is roasted sweet potatoes paired with hummus. I’m really obsessed with the pairing lately!

85 Kim March 26, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I love adding yogurt to my oatmeal! I recently bought a small packet of sunflower seed butter to try, but peanut and almond will always be my favorite.
Kim recently posted..Acupuncture for Infertility- Initial VisitMy Profile

86 Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate March 26, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Ever since you mentioned adding salt to oatmeal I have been doing it ever since and…WOW! Can totally taste the difference. Thanks, girl!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted..My Favorite Trader Joe’s Wines For Under $10My Profile

87 Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition March 26, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Omg Amanda that smoothie looks awesome!!! Apple and cinnamon need to get married ;)

88 Arman @ thebigmansworld March 27, 2014 at 1:30 am

Ideal snack plate? ANYTHING? Isn’t that the beauty of it ;)

You need to try peanut butter. It’s sahhhhh good. Or maybe peanuts? It’s sahhhh good.

OR Davs on toast.
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..5 reasons I was destined to be a Foodie!My Profile

89 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 27, 2014 at 6:44 am

ANYTHING anything? What about crickets?

90 sarah March 27, 2014 at 2:04 am

Almond butter rocks my world wah-haaay more than pb…Gosh I adore it.
You’re not allergic cashews right? I seriously think it’s in your best interests to try some creeeamy white-chocolatey cashew butter ( if you haven’t already?). The Artisana one, I see you loving it, trust :D.

Hmmm key snack plate components for me right now:
Cherries
Hard boiled egg
Banana
Home-made roasted almonds

I like random.
Xxx

91 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 27, 2014 at 6:46 am

I think I might be mildly allergic to cashews, actually. Definitely nowhere near as bad as peanuts, but I do get random reactions from most nuts other than almonds so I try to avoid them.

92 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 27, 2014 at 2:35 am

Hmm, I know there’s really not much out there that I love that you HAVEN’T tried…except cooking a whole egg in oats thing. Let’s see…have you ever…tried dessert hummus? All that talk about my food processor and hummus and stuff earlier makes me think I need to get some ideas together soon for a new one! :D My idea snack plate: something with crunch, something to dip, something salty, and something sweet! And my favorite nut butter will always be peanut (sorry), but I REALLY want to try soynut butter now that you’ve talked it up as much as you have!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..WIAW: The Animal EditionMy Profile

93 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 27, 2014 at 6:47 am

You know, I haven’t actually tried dessert hummus before, but I’ve been meaning to for ages and I can definitely see it happening soon. I just need to invest in a few more cans of chickpeas :lol:

94 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 27, 2014 at 6:32 am

If it makes you feel any better, it snowed in Cleveland yesterday too. In fact, we still have patches of snow on the ground. I’m trying not to lament it, but I sure would like Spring to hurry up and get here.

I’m still carving snack plates, but aside from the cheese, I don’t have the right ingredients for a snack plate. I guess I could eat just eight different kinds of cheese, but that might be a bit much, even for me. I have plans to pick up the snack plate staples this weekend though, so I can snack plate away all my lunches next week.

I love a good grilled cheese for dinner. It’s easy and comforting all at the same time. I’ve also been digging baked potatoes lately. I’ll bake them at random times (like last night for example) so I can just heat it up in the oven real quick and then bury it in delicious toppings (bell peppers, green onions, butter, cheese, hot sauce (you could skip that one), chives, plain yogurt or sour cream and whatever else I’ve got handy. They make a full meal, they’re incredible satisfying, and super easy peasy. They’re my new thing.

95 Marina @ Lazy for Diet March 27, 2014 at 6:40 am

Honestly, I tried sweet rice once… It simply doesn’t work for me ;) But plate of snack my favourite. I think, I have to thank to you for this idea – because I impudently use it some months :D
Marina @ Lazy for Diet recently posted..#WIAW: По ВоскресеньямMy Profile

96 Cassie March 30, 2014 at 7:02 am

I think you might love spiraledized veggies… making pasta with zucchini or carrots – oh and def spaghetti squash, get on that girl!
Cassie recently posted..Getting it Together Thursdays: Collect Moments, Not ThingsMy Profile