. link love 1/12 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on January 12, 2014

Hello, hello from the cloudy Canadian Rockies!

Cloudy Canadian Rockies

One more day snowboarding in the mountains before making the long trek home and taking up permanent residence on my couch. Bliss. It’s been an awesome trip so far, but I’ll have a recap up tomorrow (or Tuesday, depending on how beat I am when I get back), because today is all about sharing the link love!

Oh, and speaking of link love, I’ll be adding a neat little feature to next week’s edition, so keep your eyes open for more info on that some time later this week.

Link-Love

In my head…

. fitness .

Fasted Exercise – Good or Bad? via Slim Sanity.
To eat [before a workout] or not to eat… That is the question.

Are Exercise Injuries More Common In The Cold via Huffington Post.
Cold muscles make doing a quick warm up extra important.

. health .

10 Ways To Be Healthier and Happier in 2014 via Keeping Healthy, Getting Stylish.
Simple steps that’ll help you feel your best in the upcoming year.

Can the Mediterranean Diet Make Us Happier? via Greatist.
Compelling evidence suggesting what we eat affects not only our body but our mind as well.

Can Too Much Cinnamon Be Dangerous? via Huffington Post.
Say it ain’t so! I guess too much of a good thing can be… not so great.

. happiness .

15 Things You Have To Forget To Get Ahead via Marc and Angel Hack Life.
Don’t let stifling thoughts get in the way of the simple things that make you happy.

Worth the Weight via Snack Therapy.
Ladies, you need to read this. Heck, everyone needs to read this.

8 Things To Remember When Everything Goes Wrong via Marc and Angel Hack Life.
“It’s not what the world takes away from you that counts; it’s what you do with what you have left.”

. beauty .

DIY Deodorant via Greatist.
Iiiiiiinteresting. I try and keep my deodorants as natural as possible, but I’m not quite sure that I’m ready to take the leap into a DIY version.

Winter Hair Care via Alive.com.
Great tips on everything from fighting frizz to avoiding hat hair.

. blogging .

How To Plan One Year Of Blog Post Ideas via The Mommy Mess.
I started doing this a few months back and I love how much less-stressful blogging became as a result.

Your Daily Blogging Checklist via The SITS Girls.
A great list of things to do to grow your blog and take it to the next level.

7 Hard Questions You Must Ask About Your Blog via Creative Kristi.
Great questions that’ll help give you and your blog some direction.

On Burnout And Peace via Pinch of Yum.
Great advice on how to overcome burnout as a blogger.

For my belly…

Skinny Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Banana Bread via Ambitious Kitchen.
Banana bread packed with chocolate, coconut, and oatmeal — all of my favourite things.

Spaghetti Squash Primavera via SkinnyTaste.
Yet another reason why I have to pick up [and actually use!] another spaghetti squash…

How to Make Kombucha Tea via Nutty for Health.
I adore kombucha but hate the price. A great tutorial for how to make it at home!

Crockpot Sweet Potato Chicken Chili via Ari’s Menu.
Yes.please. Add this to the list of reasons I need to buy a slow cooker…

50+ Skinny Treats via Shugary Sweets.
An wesome collection of delicious treats that are good for both the body and soul.

Signature

Three things you did yesterday; three things you’re going to do today. Go:
Yesterday: spent 5 hours in the car, snowboarded in Lake Louise, hung out around Banff.
Today: snowboarding in Sunshine, making the trip back home, passing out on my couch.

1 Jessie January 12, 2014 at 6:17 am

If I were you, I’d get that photo blown up. It’s breathtaking and I could prob look at it all day! My weekend has consisted of: surgery, rest & sleep. Woo Hoo! I know you’re jealous :)
Jessie recently posted..Lentil, Mushroom, & Sweet Potato PlateMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I hope you feel better soon, love <3

3 Sarah January 12, 2014 at 6:50 am

Gah, that’s gorgeous! I have friends in Nelson who adore Banff. I can certainly see why.
Yesterday: laundry, yoga, tea with a friend
Today: trip to the library, work on script, organize
Enjoy the last day of snowboarding!

4 Meg @ Meg Go Run January 12, 2014 at 6:54 am

Yesterday: ran, grocery shopped, made roasted sweet potatoes
Today: read, walk, go to bed early!
Meg @ Meg Go Run recently posted..8 Things I’m Loving… RIGHT NOW!My Profile

5 Caitlyn@BareBalance January 12, 2014 at 6:55 am

These links are so helpful – especially the blogging ones. Since I am trying to take my blog to the next level and more seriously it was a great help! :)
Someday I will brave snowboarding! It looks awesome. I just fear the lives of those around me…

C
Caitlyn@BareBalance recently posted..01.12.1213 | so I said itMy Profile

6 Marina @ Lazy for Diet January 12, 2014 at 6:56 am

My days off absolutely gloomy recently. I usually prepare for examinations, I roll on a sofa and I force myself to read a little more textbook… Arrr, vacation is necessary right now to me!
Marina @ Lazy for Diet recently posted..В Большой ЧашкеMy Profile

7 Ms.J January 12, 2014 at 6:56 am

Sounds like a fun weekend! Yesterday: long walk, made your pancakes for lunch (used one whole egg because I was out of bottled egg whites) turned out fabulous :), movie
Today: lie in, froyo trip, meet-up with friends scheduled for later

8 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles January 12, 2014 at 7:17 am

Yesterday- long run, Red Mango (you so knew it! lol), Cheesecake Factory and mall with my son…Today – food shopping, quick workout, buying a new Keurig machine.

9 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 3:46 pm

:lol: Nothing wrong with being predictable when Red Mango is involved! And I do love how you grab a new Keurig on the same day that your old one bites the dust… No messin’ around when it comes to coffee…

10 Emmeline January 12, 2014 at 7:21 am

Looks beautiful and FUN ! Happy boarding today :)
Emmeline recently posted..Someone teach me to like strength trainingMy Profile

11 Hayley@healthyregards January 12, 2014 at 7:39 am

yesterday: finally got outside on my bike, went shopping for warm clothes finally! (bought the cutest down jacket and boots, in love!), went out in Downtown Denver for the first time <—– sounds like a pretty good day huh?!
today: spin, Cyclocross nationals- working and cheering people on, weekly intentions and plan (usual sunday to do)

ALSO I like the link about being more injury prone in the winter. I just a stress reaction diagnosis and the doctor was telling me that women are also much more bone injury prone during the winter months because of lack of vitamin D. The doctor works with lots of college runners and he said he sees the most stress fractures at this time of year even though the highest mileage is during the summer, so interesting! Moral: go get a bone growth supplement (:
Hayley@healthyregards recently posted..My world famous recipeMy Profile

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Do you supplement vitamin D in the winter at all? I’ve been taking 1000 UIs daily for a couple of years now, and I find that it even helps with the SAD…

13 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes January 12, 2014 at 7:58 am

I hope that you are having a great time. It looks wonderful! :-)
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..Getting back into those jeans, hot oat smoothies and shopping with boysMy Profile

14 Chelsea January 12, 2014 at 8:18 am

We make our own deodorant out of everclear (grain liquor) and essential oil. Spray it on..and you’re good to go. Works way better than anything else I’ve used.

15 Brittany January 12, 2014 at 9:01 am

WHOO I LOVE THat mountain shot. I haven’t been snowboarding since I was 17!!! HOLY COWZA!
Brittany recently posted..Fun FindsMy Profile

16 Carly @ Snack Therapy January 12, 2014 at 9:03 am

Yesterday: Procrastinated homework, made dinner, and spent time with Jake!
Today: Drive home from LA, finish said procrastinated homework, and hopefully watch the Golden Globes!

Thanks for all of the amazing links, and thanks for including me among them <3.
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..Sunday LinksMy Profile

17 Christine@ Apple of My Eye January 12, 2014 at 9:04 am

If cinnamon is potentially dangerous, I’m probably screwed hahaha. I put the good stuff on everything and have is running through my veins ;).

Great post! Going to check out some of those fantastic links now :)
Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted..Brown Sugar Asian Glazed BeefMy Profile

18 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 3:48 pm

You and me both! I take my cinnamon with a side of food :lol:

19 Davida @ The Healthy Maven January 12, 2014 at 9:13 am

Carly’s post was amazing! Just read it. Man that girl know whatsup. Off to read the Pinch of Yum post. Thanks girly! SEE you soon gahhhh YES.
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..White Bean Kale & Artichoke Dip w/ Quinoa FlatbreadMy Profile

20 Annie January 12, 2014 at 9:16 am

Just thought I’d share this with you.

drooooool

21 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Oh goodness that looks dangerously delicious. I’ll have to keep that in mind for the next occasion that requires cake — thanks Annie!

22 Becky @ Olives n Wine January 12, 2014 at 9:31 am

Yesterday: Run/Body Pump, Dinner out with friends, Meal Planning. Today: Errands (Target and TJ run!), blogging and yoga <3
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..The Big 2-9 Birthday WishlistMy Profile

23 Kristi @ Sweetly Fit January 12, 2014 at 9:32 am

I have never been snowboarding before but it is definitely on my bucket list! That pic is breath-taking!!!
Kristi @ Sweetly Fit recently posted..My Favorite Grain Free Banana BreadMy Profile

24 Karey @ Nutty About Health January 12, 2014 at 9:39 am

Thanks for sharing my How to Make Kombucha Tea link!! <3
Have a great time snowboarding!!! :)
Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted..The Week In Fitness: #21My Profile

25 Megan (The Lyons' Share) January 12, 2014 at 9:49 am

Yet another week where I click on 90% of the links you have listed – SUCH a great collection, thanks! I love the Burnout and Peace, which I posted about today as well … the cinnamon one kind of scared me since I love cinnamon … and the injuries in the cold + Mediterranean diets were really informative. And your picture …. ahhh, I love the mountains.
Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted..7 Great Things I Read This WeekMy Profile

26 Lauren January 12, 2014 at 9:52 am

Is it weird I find it extremely hilarious to say, “Banff” allowed?

27 Lauren January 12, 2014 at 9:53 am

*aloud. — Insert embarrassed face. LOL

28 Alex @ Kenzie Life January 12, 2014 at 9:54 am

These look like great reads! I think Mediterranean style cuisine definitely has its merits, but after having lived in Greece for 6 months, I can say that the Mediterranean Diet really seems like an American construct. Not that people in those regions don’t consume things like olive oil and fresh fruit and fish, but a lot of Greek food isn’t inherently healthy. That being said, it is absolutely delicious, their veggie gyros, hummus, and fried zucchini make anything in America just look sad in comparison :)

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I’ve actually always wondered about that… which is why a research trip to Greece is 100% necessary. You know — all in the name of science ;)

30 Anna @thesparkletasticrunner January 12, 2014 at 10:18 am

Love some of these links!

Yesterday: Bikram Yoga, Run, Grocery Shopping
Today: Ironing, Cooking…more yoga?!
Anna @thesparkletasticrunner recently posted..You’re Going to Love This…My Profile

31 Danielle @ LabelsAreForTinCans January 12, 2014 at 10:23 am

Thanks for some great links! I’m definitely going to check out those kombucha and blogging tips!

3 things yesterday: sick with a cold, went for a walk, managed to get through yoga!
3 things today: to be determined ;)
Danielle @ LabelsAreForTinCans recently posted..Link Love No. 14My Profile

32 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I hope you’re feeling better, Danielle!

33 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 12, 2014 at 10:45 am

That mountain shot is gorgeous! And thank you, as always, for providing me with some reading material ;-)
Yesterday I: got my eyebrows threaded, had a visit from my momma, and played video games.
Today: cleaned the floors, going to see Stomp! And doing some laundry.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Weekly Eats and Workouts + Spill It Sunday 01/12.My Profile

34 Danica @ It's Progression January 12, 2014 at 11:29 am

Wow, that picture is gorgeous!!
3 things I did yesterday: brought breakfast to a friend who just had a baby, finished reading my book, played MarioKart with my husband haha
3 things I’m doing today: church, cleaning, blogging
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..workout log: 1/1 – 1/11My Profile

35 Laura January 12, 2014 at 11:29 am

Enjoy the time you have left in the rockies!

Yesterday: Spent the morning with my dad, watched re-runs of New Girl, and went on a double date to a fancy restaurant in Providence for Restaurant Week.

Today: Slept until 9:30(!!!), went shopping with my mom, plan to lay in bed doing nothing for the rest of the day.
Laura recently posted..If there is one thing…My Profile

36 Lyric January 12, 2014 at 11:39 am

Yesterday: worked, made AB fudge and watched one too many episodes of Scandal with my mom :oops:
Today: Grocery shopping (I love it), run and eat more AB fudge. ;)

Sounds like you are having fun and i am so incredibly jealous of you!
Lyric recently posted..Mixing it UpMy Profile

37 Mary @ Travels with Mary January 12, 2014 at 11:58 am

oooooh I am so jealous!! we aren’t going to make it snowboarding this year and it hurts my heart! we might try to go to the little bunny hill an hour out of town but it’s not the same as the Rockies!
Mary @ Travels with Mary recently posted..Spring 2014 Reading Bingo!My Profile

38 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I know what you mean… I go to the local hill when I can’t make it up to the mountains, and while it definitely helps with the craving, getting to the bottom of the hill in 30 seconds vs. 15 minutes isn’t quite the same…

39 Hollie January 12, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Thank you for the hair care article. My poor hair has really been suffering lately so I’m glad for some tips.

I’ve never really heard anything bad about the med diet. That was an interesting article.
Hollie recently posted..Treadmill Training (70 miles)My Profile

40 Jen @ SavedbytheKale January 12, 2014 at 12:33 pm

That was an interesting article about cinnamon…it’s now got me wondering if maybe I’m consuming too much! :) hmmmm…
yesterday… shopping trip to Whole Foods, stopped off at the beach, watched a couple episodes of Parenthood
Today….rearranged my living room, made pancakes, play with Lily and Emma
Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #5My Profile

41 Jana January 12, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Yesterday: ran 5k, drove to Milwaukee, laughed til I cried with great friends
Today: catching up on blog reading, cleaning apartment, churching it up
Jana recently posted..My FIRST Sunday Social!My Profile

42 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen January 12, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Yesterday: experienced the scariest drive of my life when driving home on the highway from the boy’s house in seriously dense fog, went shopping, and went out for sushi with my sister.

Today: went to yoga, did some recipe testing, and worked on the literature review for my research study. Actually that last one hasn’t happened yet… but it will… eventually. Haha. :P
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Mixed greens and shredded root vegetable saladMy Profile

43 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Eeek! Glad you’re safe <3

44 Arman @ thebigmansworld January 12, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Hahahaha I loved Carly’s post…Can I be a lady ;)

DIY Deodorant- As much as the concept sounds decent, I think I’ll leave it to the experts. Well, until the prices rise! And what is with that cinnamon one?! Off to read that craziness.

Three things today- drink water, drink water, drink water. I want to get over this sickness…going to be 40 DEGREES everyday this week.
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..Spill it, Sundays #7- TrendsMy Profile

45 Autumn Wieland January 12, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Yesterday: Hung out with friends, yoga, and took a bubble bath!
Today: Church, went on a walk, and downloaded new music! Yah!

46 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables January 12, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I have been so detached from my computer this week. I can’t wait to sit and read some of these tonight!!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..Friday Five and FavoritesMy Profile

47 Ellie@Fit for the soul January 12, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Ahhh snowboarding sounds so fun! Hope you’re able to use them legs and stay safe on the road, dear. <3 Yesterday: Groceries, park, lots of time with baby
Today: Church service, taking care of Selah because she's never had this much trouble napping–but I think it's due to teething and her cold. Then mayyyybe going to meet some people. :D
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..“Healthier Questbars” Cinnamon Roll Protein BarsMy Profile

48 Ashley January 12, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Beautiful photo! No snow here in the Portland, Oregon area, just A LOT of rain. :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Ashley recently posted..Mini Playlist MakeoverMy Profile

49 Kelly @ Femme Fitale January 12, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Yesterday- Said goodbye to our Canadian visitors, moped around, organized my life.
Today- Back to the gym, tackling a pile of laundry, day dreaming about a future vacation.

Hahah.. not too exciting over here!!! I had a hard weekend seeing everyone head back to Calgary. So hard sometimes! I wasn’t too envious of you guys over there during the crazy polar vortex, or whatever it was called, but now that temps are back to normal, I miss the thought of skiing. Lake Louise is one of my favourites!!!! Hope you had a great weekend on the slopes!
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..This Is It: Appreciating Each MomentMy Profile

50 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Awwwr — and here I am thinking it would be awesome to be in Australia. Stupid “grass is always greener’ syndrome…

51 Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run January 12, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for the links – and have fun on the mountains :)
Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run recently posted..Why I Love the Farm ShowMy Profile

52 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats January 12, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Your link love is helping me catch up on what I missed with taking some time off so thank you :)

Yesterday I went and watched a cycling event with Nick, got sunburnt and made Mexican for dinner. Today I’m working, I’ve done a gym workout and plan on watching The Good Wife tonight.

Happy new year by the way!
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..What a marvelous holidays it wasMy Profile

53 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Eee! Welcome back, lady! So good to see you again! <3 xox

54 Lisa C. January 12, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Amanda, you HAVE to try the DIY deoderant! I know, I know, it sounds…risky. But I used natural deodorant for 10 years and then it just seemed to not work anymore. I briefly went back to conventional out of necessity then a friend told me about the DIY stuff. It works better than conventional! Try it!

55 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm

You make a very compelling argument… I guess it couldn’t hurt to try!

56 Cassie January 12, 2014 at 7:37 pm

That coconut chocolate bread looks so amazing… I need my bananas to ripen fasssst. I can’t believe cinnamon might be dangerous… I go through containers so quickly!!
Cassie recently posted..Almost Getting It Together Thursdays: Mint.comMy Profile

57 Ari @ Ari's Menu January 12, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I’m totally jealous of you and your fun winter sports up there! I’ve never even been skiing! So many great links to check out this week. Thanks for the love friend!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Crockpot Sweet Potato Chicken ChiliMy Profile

58 Natalie Staeckeler January 12, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Totally jealous of your view! It’s beyond beautiful!
I’ve always wanted to go skiing, but there is no snow where I live. Ahh the struggle..
Anyways, great links this week!

I hope you have an amazing day!
Natalie Staeckeler recently posted..A Day at EaseMy Profile

59 Heather Murphy January 12, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Great links, as always. The 15 things you have to forget to move on and ALL of the blogging links are definitely at the top of my list! We went for a bike ride yesterday and today we celebrated my grandfathers 77th birthday, so it has been a great weekend here!
Heather Murphy recently posted..Weekly Workout Schedule: 1/13- 1/19My Profile

60 Alysia @ Slim Sanity January 13, 2014 at 8:21 am

thanks for the link love! :)
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Staying On Track While TravelingMy Profile

61 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 13, 2014 at 9:41 am

So much goodness. I am a firm believer in using food to heal medical ailments. I’m not surprised the Mediterranean Diet makes people happier; it’s all those delicious good omega fats. See eat those nuts (not peanuts, of course) and cook with that olive oil. Those are some of the best fats right there, not to mention the fish, which while I don’t actually eat, I can certainly appreciate the health benefits.
It’s a pity about the cinnamon. I guess the saying is true, all good things in moderation. I recently read an article that suggests too much protein can be equally as bad. It’s actually damaging for your liver so again we come back to balance.
I really enjoyed Pinch of Yum’s post and look forward to checking out her blog a bit more. I was in a similar position a few years back and have since learned to manage the burnout beast, although a little refreshing never hurts.
I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us next week.

62 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 13, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I’ve heard that about protein as well… All I know is that my stomach gets all wonky if I eat a diet that’s too high in protein, so I try to keep things well balanced with carbs… not that that’s hard to do ;)

63 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 13, 2014 at 11:05 am

What a beautiful weekend! You are seriously one tough chick for getting out there in those conditions. I can’t imagine not being able to see where I’m going. Being on a snowboard is terrifying enough on it’s own for me.

I’m also impressed by how fresh faced and pretty you look so early in the morning! I don’t think I could ever take a selfie at those times but you can certainly pull it off.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada CasseroleMy Profile

64 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) January 13, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Thanks for the link love :-) Hope you’ve been enjoying yourself!

65 Eating 4 Balance January 15, 2014 at 5:59 am

So I always like these link loves, but especially the blogging section ones! Thanks for rounding those up.

That’s a little scary about the cinnamon! Have you ever heard of the cinnamon challenge? At first that’s what I thought the article was going to be about.

I NEED that winter care tips article. My hair is an absolute wretched sight with it being both too oily and too dry at the same time. Winter sucks.
Eating 4 Balance recently posted..Theirs, Mine, and OursMy Profile

66 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 15, 2014 at 7:20 am

I’ve actually -done- the cinnamon challenge, and it is painful. As for your hair, I don’t know how often you wash it, but I find that mine tends to get freakishly unbalanced like that when I wash it too often. Your hair might actually be dry and only seem oily because it’s overcompensating for the dryness. Have you thought about a moisturizing shampoo/conditioner, less frequent washes, and using a dry shampoo in between?

67 Eating 4 Balance January 16, 2014 at 11:17 am

I had that problem a few years ago when I was washing my hair everyday with sports. But now I go every 2 or 3 days for the reason that you said and it has seemed to help. I typically use baking soda now in addition to shampoo to help with oiliness on my scalp, and then conditioner to help with my dry ends. I’ve never tried dry shampoo before although it’s been on my mind for awhile of things to try. Maybe that is the answer! :)
Eating 4 Balance recently posted..5 Ways To Know When You Have Been Back Home For Too LongMy Profile