. monthly favorites – september 2013 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on September 30, 2013

Hi friends! Happy Monday to ya :D

After about 5 days of travelling in a car, I finally made it back home, all safe and sound. We didn’t end up getting in until pretty late last night (hence today’s later post), and I haven’t even touched my suitcase much less looked through the crazy amount of pictures I took, so a recap of my trip will have to wait. BUT! It’s the end of yet another month, and you know what that means… A recap of my monthly favourites! :D

. food .

This probably won’t come as a surprise to anyone, but topping this month’s love list is definitely all things pumpkin and squash

Kabocha Squash

Pumpkin Chilli
Roasted Kabocha

Canned Pumpkin

Roasted, pureed, in soup, on pizza, hot, cold, savoury, sweet… Any way, every way – I am a woman ob.sessed. I roast my kabocha from scratch, but I buy my pumpkin already canned and pureed. The one from the Farmer’s Market brand is my favourite – organic, BPA free, and always smooth and sweet.

Next up we’ve got… what do we got *checks list* AH! Next up we’ve got chia seeds

Chia Seeds

I know, I know. I snarked on them to death back in the day… But since giving them another chance, I’ve actually warmed up to the pesky buggers quite a bit. Not only do they boast an impressive nutritional profile, with plenty of calcium, manganese, phosphorusfibre, and omega 3′s, but they can also help boost energy, stabilize blood sugar, aid digestion, and lower cholesterol. Not bad for a tiny little seed… Just be sure to check your teeth before you go out.

And be sure to do yourself a favour and jump on a jar of Justin’s maple almond butter if you ever happen to come across it…

Justin's Maple AB

As much as I enjoyed the vanilla AB, I have to admit that it was just a tad bit too sweet for me. The maple has a much more subtle sweetness, balanced out with a nice amount of saltiness. I still love natural roasted AB the most, but this one is probably my favourite as far as flavoured almond butter goes.

And speaking of flavoured almonds, September had me falling in love with the ones from Blue Diamond

Snack Almonds
Blue Diamond Almonds

I’m not normally a fan of eating nuts on their own, but these are pretty amazing. The flavours are incredible and the nuts themselves are delightfully crunchy. Definitely a perfect on-the-go snack option. The toasted coconut and caramel macchiato are my two favourite flavours.

. beauty .

Hands down, the best beauty product I came across this past month has been Bioderma cleansing water

Bioderma Water

It’s essentially a makeup remover, and I usually sweep it over my face after I cleanse just to make sure I get any leftover gunk off, but I’ll also often use it throughout the day to refresh my face if my skin starts feeling a little dry or tired, as well as first thing in the morning instead of scrubbing my face with a cleanser. It cleanses, soothes, balances, and just improves the overall look of your skin. Great, great product.

Another great beauty product find from this past month is the Rouge Volupté Shine lipstick from Yves Saint Laurent.

YSL Lipstick

I’ve been hearing such great things about this lipstick for months but I couldn’t justify the hefty pricetag ($39) since I’m not the biggest fan of lipstick and don’t usually wear it all that often. I’m so, SO glad that I finally bit the bullet and picked up a tube, though, because this is by far the best lipstick I’ve ever owned — mostly because it feels more like a lip butter than a lipstick. It goes on really smooth and doesn’t feel dry on the lips at all. The colour payoff is wonderful, and although it does wear off as the day goes on, it has a subtle stain that continues to enhance your lips. Right now I have the colour Corail Intuitive, but I definitely plan on picking up more shades soon.

And on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, something ridiculously unglamorous but nonetheless related to beauty, the Orabrush

Orabrush

The Orabrush is basically a toothbrush for your tongue, but unlike a toothbrush, the soft, pointy bristles are specifically designed to clean the surface of your tongue — a place where a lot of the bacteria that cause bad breath like to hang out. After you give your tongue a quick brush over, you run the scraper over your tongue to pick up the residue, and yeah… you’d be surprised at what comes off. I’m pretty strict when it comes to my oral hygiene, so this is basically a must for me.

. odds and ends .

After going what felt like forever without a really good book in my life, I finally came across one that I fell in love with…

The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Set in Nazi Germany, The Book Thief follows the story of Liesel, an orphaned German girl who’s love for books helps her (and those around her) make it through World War II…

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

A few things struck me about this book. First, it is narrated by Death, but not exactly a Death that you would expect. This Death is haunted by what he has to do, and compassionate towards the plight of the souls he has to take. Second, Zusak’s beautiful writing. The vivid imagery throughout the book is amazing, and Zusak’s writing almost poetic. He paints a clear picture of a war torn Germany, but manages to keep the piece from being full-out depressing by threading humour throughout its pages. This book made me laugh, cry, and everything in between. A must read for sure. I can’t believe this book has been out since 2006 and I’m just reading it now. Way to be late to the party, Amanda.

Speaking of which, I’m kind of kicking myself for not hopping on the milk frother bandwagon sooner…

Milk Frother

Frothing the Milk
Frothing Milk

I have a pretty basic handheld one that I got in my HLS swag bag, but it still does an amazing job in making my milk nice and foamy. Can we say homemade cappuccinos and lattes? Not exactly, since I don’t have an espresso maker, but adding some foamy milk to my coffee and hot chocolate has been all sorts of wonderful.

And while we’re on the topic of coffee, we need to talk about my latest obsession with Coffitivity

Coffitivity

What it is is a site that will play coffee shop background noise for you (think the quiet murmur of people, clatter of dishes, etc.). Apparently this kind of ambient noise is supposed to increase your creativity, and I’ve been putting the theory to the test by basically playing it nonstop when I’m working from home.I have a feeling it might be working, and even if it isn’t, it’s still nice to listen to :)

. blog .

Goofy GIrls
Fig and Goat Cheese Muffin
  • If I had to choose a motto for September, it would definitely be “Choose Happiness.” I’m a firm believer that attitude trumps circumstance when it comes to your overall level of happiness, and this past month was all about practicing gratitude and focusing on positivity — something which blogging definitely helps me do.
  • Speaking of blogging, September sent me off to Healthy Living Summit – an informative weekend where I finally got to meet some bloggers that I’ve connected with over the past year. Good times.
  • Two new recipes! First, the marriage of pumpkin and chocolate in my Chocolate-Filled Pumpkin Spice Muffins, followed by the delicious pairing of figs and goat cheese in my Fig and Goat Cheese Honey Muffins. Apparently it was a good month for stuffing muffins ;) And if muffins aren’t your thing, how about a collection of fall recipes instead?
  • And last but not least, a roadtrip to BC to round out the month. Buuuut I didn’t quite manage to fit a recap in.

What was something awesome that happened in September?
When it comes to nut butters, do you prefer flavoured or natural ones?
What’s your favourite kind of squash? Or are you not a fan? :shock:

1 elise September 30, 2013 at 6:52 am

Ah September was such a good month for food in welcoming back fall favorites! One of my favorite times of the year for that reason alone. I can have pumpkin anything and everything and enjoy every bit of it! Plus, those Blue Diamond almonds are fabulous. I love every flavor I have tried so far.
elise recently posted..Keeping Monday MarvelousMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I have to agree that this time of the year is basically perfect for us foodies. The abundance of comforting dishes and warming spices means I’m basically in heaven. And don’t even get me started on the squash… :shock:

3 Lisa September 30, 2013 at 7:01 am

Glad you made it home safe and sound!
It’s very safe to say September was the month of all things amazing food related. I love all the kabocha, pumpkin…basically orange food in general:)
And I adore Yves Saint Laurent lipsticks. They feel SO amazing on the lips. There is seriously no lipsticks quite like how they feel.
I’m pretty sure it’s worth the price in the end.
PS I’m sad we couldn’t meet this weekend…but you better bet either this year or next year it is FOR sure happening!
Lisa recently posted..Autumn MustsMy Profile

4 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I’m holding you to that :P

5 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green September 30, 2013 at 7:01 am

Oh my goodness, that lipstick looks beautiful! Love love love the colour! I’m not a big lipstick person either but once and awhile I will splurge and buy one. Have you checked out the new Marc Jacobs make up collection? I sampled the berry red in Sephora and adored it!
Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted..9 Month Countdown + Weekly PlanMy Profile

6 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I haven’t looked at the lipsticks yet, but I’ve heard amazing things about the foundation. I’ll give it a look the next time I’m in Sephora.

7 Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com September 30, 2013 at 7:03 am

I need to get my hands on that Orabrush! Thanks for the heads up!
Were you able to track down a supplier for your Blue Diamond Almond nut fix?
Fav thing bout September – why my birthday! :)
I think I prefer Peanut butter without any flavoring – just got my hands on Crave PB Cookie Nookie and Choco Choco and while they are delish, think I like my Trader Joes Creamy PB the best. Opposite holds for AB – love Justins Maple AB and Chocolate Hazelnut – wierd huh!
Squash – seriously whats not to love – roasted spaghetti, acorn and butternut is one of my favs – no kabocha sightings yet on my end!
Hope your trip was wonderful!
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Pumpkin Edamame & Chick Pea Concoction!My Profile

8 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I haven’t had a chance to do much searching after those almonds yet, but I still remember (and love you for) your offer <3 And if it weren’t for Maisie Jane’s, I’d have to agree with you about flavoured AB being better than the natural ones. I’m not a fan of most natural AB’s, but MJ’s stole my heart.

9 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee September 30, 2013 at 7:06 am

Just made a note on my kindle to order the Book Thief! My reading has been lacking lately (now that I drive to work) I used to get so much reading done on the subway.
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..Weekend SnapshotsMy Profile

10 Natasha September 30, 2013 at 7:09 am

Maple almond butter is a gift to humanity!! hahah I’m slightly obsessed with the stuff so I only get the individual packets because I can WAY overdo it :)

As far as squash goes…i Love zucchini and yellow squat! YUMMY

Have a fantastic monday :)
Natasha recently posted..MIMMMy Profile

11 Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles September 30, 2013 at 7:13 am

I love Crunch Time from Peanut Butter and Co. but I really do love Mighty Maple too. I can’t decide which is my favorite so I often just mix the two together….I think butternut is my favorite squash. I do like Kabocha too though.
Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..The Cheesecake Factory Might As Well Be My Kitchen.My Profile

12 Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes September 30, 2013 at 7:23 am

Oddly enough I can’t get enough of the sea salt and vinegar or wasabi almonds! Which is strange for my sweet tooth… but now I’m wishing I would have grabbed more!
Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes recently posted..What I’ve learned from a period of not running.My Profile

13 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:24 pm

You and me both! If only my suitcase were bigger :cry:

14 Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 7:25 am

Wait a second- some people DON’T like squash??? Surely they are either crazy or haven’t tried it roasted! Unfortunately it’s not as easily available in Mumbai but fortunately I’m back in London over the weekend which means I will literally EAT ALL THE SQUASH ;)! I thought of you today as I whipped up a batch of homemade almond butter- so yum! As much as I love the idea of flavored peanut butters, I am classic with my choice i.e. I rather eat it plain and get adventurous with toppings/pairings! Lately I’ve even been foregoing the latter and just eating plain nut butter straight off a spoon – so.freakin’.delicious! Happy Monday, my friend!
Khushboo recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie CakeMy Profile

15 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 30, 2013 at 7:42 am

I just can’t believe September is over! It flew by so quickly!

That’s my favorite brand of pumpkin too! I buy it all the time. My favorite kind of squash is definitely butternut squash. I love roasting it! I tend to prefer natural nut butters; although, I did purchase a chocolate PB last week and that one is amazing!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..MIMM #10 – ShopaholicMy Profile

16 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy September 30, 2013 at 7:49 am

I love all squash and zucchini, spaghetti squash it probably my favorite at the moment.
and I totally agree on checking your teeth before you go out after eating chia seeds! I may have learned that the hard way….
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..My 20 Mile Weekend Recap.My Profile

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:25 pm

:lol: You and me both. I think I walked around with one caught in my front teeth all day, and I’m not sure if no one noticed, or no one had the heart to tell me…

18 Danica @ It's Progression September 30, 2013 at 7:50 am

I read The Book Thief in college and really liked it – once I figured out who was talking and what was really going on :) It’s such a unique book!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Enough.My Profile

19 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health September 30, 2013 at 8:19 am

Can’t wait to see the pics from your trip! Not to rush you or anything. ;)

The Coffiivity idea sounds neat but I think I would get annoyed. I actually can’t focus as well with all kinds of noise around me. But if you came up for the recipes for those muffins while listening to it, then I’d say its working very well!

I’ve actually never tried flavored nut butters but the maple almond sounds delicious!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Kendall-Jackson 17th Annual Heirloom Tomato FestivalMy Profile

20 Parita @ myinnershakti September 30, 2013 at 8:26 am

In the state of India my family comes from, we use metal tongue cleaners that scrap off all the gunk and leave your mouth feeling extra clean. I’ve been using it all my life and can’t imagine not cleaning my tongue – it’s very much a part of my routine.

And I’ll definitely have to check out that make-up remover. Thanks for sharing!

21 Carly @ Snack Therapy September 30, 2013 at 8:35 am

I love those sassy little chia seeds. They’re so weird and jelly, but I keep ‘em around ;). My favorite butter de nut is plain ol’ peanut butter, with a dash of salt. Unless Nutella counts. Does Nutella count? Yum.
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..Milan: What We DidMy Profile

22 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Nutella always counts. Chocolate is above ALL the rules.

23 Angela @ Health's Angel September 30, 2013 at 8:48 am

The past few books I’ve picked up to read have just been so lackluster. It’s frustrating! I’ll have to check out The Book Thief.
I’m trying to get myself to enjoy wearing lipstick/lip gloss! I usually just stick with basic balm because my lips dry out so easily and I feel like anything else on them just look ridiculous. Maybe I just haven’t found that incredible product yet…
A highlight of September was definitely this past weekend- a family roadtrip with lots of shopping, good food and quality time. :)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Silence the MindMy Profile

24 Brittany September 30, 2013 at 8:51 am

I am SOOO big on oral hygiene!! I have a tongue scraper that is a bit more rough than the looks of this brush and I use it EVERY TIME I brush. It’s so essential for me. I wish more people used tongue cleaners..hahaha. That coffee noise website is so awesome!!
Brittany recently posted..Early Morning ConfessionsMy Profile

25 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 30, 2013 at 8:54 am

There was lots of awesome for us this September! It was a great month filled with all sorts of fun stuff – Cody’s birthday, family visiting, The Dirty Dash, etc. Not to mention I always love September weather here in Utah. It’s just beautiful.

As for nut butters, I prefer natural ones on a regular basis, but flavored ones are fun for the occasional treat! :)

Butternut squash is my fave for sure! There hasn’t been a squash I’ve found that I don’t like though…
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..California Adventures {Part 1}My Profile

26 Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome September 30, 2013 at 8:59 am

Wow lots of great things on this post! Loving that pumpkin puree and just added some to our chili last night. Delicious! I have a frother similar to that from Ikea but it definitely doesn’t do that to my milk! Hmmm… Maybe it’s because I use coconut milk?
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted..Marvelous First weekend of Fall!My Profile

27 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Could be! I’ve never tried frothing coconut milk, but I’ve had no problems with cow and almond.

28 Lauren September 30, 2013 at 9:25 am

September was great for me because I felt myself relax a bit. I know, I know! It’s amazing what happens during recovery. Yesterday was a family party and one where I thoroughly enjoyed time with my family and didn’t fret over food. Amazing. Just amazing.
I just bought my first kabocha this weekend!!! How should I make it? What’s your favorite way?
Lauren recently posted..coffee buzz like a beeMy Profile

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I just slice it up into little chunks, sprinkle with some coconut oil and cinnamon, and then bake at 425F for 15 min before decreasing the temp to 375F and baking for another 15 min.

30 Davida @ The Healthy Maven September 30, 2013 at 9:29 am

I’ve been wanting to read the book thief!!! I think my milk frother was the cheapest and most useful kitchen appliance I ever bought. I love it!
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..{MIMM} Weekend Recap 09/27-09/29My Profile

31 Hollie September 30, 2013 at 9:31 am

What do you use the chia seeds for?

As far as squash and pumpkin, I’m been grilled squash myself and pumpkin pancakes are always easy. LOL. September absolutely flu by for me as well but that is because of a move and getting situated. I’m pretty sure October will be the same way.
Hollie recently posted..An Actual Feel Good Training Week (75 miles)My Profile

32 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I’ve heard a lot of people say that September flew by — it did for me as well. As for the chias, I just take a small spoonful and sprinkle them over my yogurt messes. I’m not a big fan of them when they get all gelled up, but I like the crunch they give when they’re dry.

33 Miss Polkadot September 30, 2013 at 9:56 am

Don’t consider yourself late when it comes to reading The Book Thief. I used to read such a lot of books on the topic yet this one somehow slipped my focus. Or, well, it was actually published after that reading phase. Anyway, I’ve now ordered the German version in my library though fingers crossed I’ll be able to find the English one, too. Call me ridiculous but I prefer English to my mother tongue :).
That lipstick is gorgeous but I agree it comes with a hefty price tag. Maybe for once I’ve become better at budgeting and saved some money :).
Kabocha squash! Is there really any other option when it comes to picking a favourite?!
Awesome in September were the two weekend visits at my parents’ after not having seen them since the beginning of August. Just this past weekend I also reunited with an old friend from school which was amazing. Meeting family and friends – the best part of any month, really.
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Marvelously memory-filled weekendMy Profile

34 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 30, 2013 at 10:08 am

Yesssss pumpkin and squash!! And Justin’s–I’m obsessed!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti SquashMy Profile

35 Laura @ RunningJunkie September 30, 2013 at 10:29 am

Something awesome that happened was I got a new part time job as a personal trainer:-D

I LOVE squash. I haven’t had Kamboucha (SP?) but I love acorn squash, butternut squash, and most of all pumpkin! Pumpkin everything!

I love maple almond butter. It’s the perfect combination of sweet/salty, plus it’s a bit gritty, which I really love.
Laura @ RunningJunkie recently posted..AFSP Community Walk – Washington, DCMy Profile

36 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Okay, I was wondering if it was just my jar because I’ve noticed it being a bit more gritty too. I love that, though, so it’s good to hear that it’s a regular thing. And congrats on getting that PT job!

37 Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food September 30, 2013 at 10:31 am

I just bought a couple small packets of that maple almond butter for the first time the other day! I can’t wait to try it out. I also have some honeycrisp apples with me so I think the two will go together perfectly!
Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted..On The Mend (And Back On The Road)My Profile

38 Ang @ Nutty for Life September 30, 2013 at 10:34 am

You have no idea how many times I’ve had chia seeds unknowingly stuck in my teeth. It’s a disgrace but I won’t give them up because they are such lil powerhouses!
Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted..I Will Get My Wine [Half-Marathon Monday + MIMM #10]My Profile

39 Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. September 30, 2013 at 10:40 am

That book sounds interesting. The cover looks familiar so I think my wife may have read that and liked it. I wonder if she has it or if it was a library borrow – will have to ask now!

Nut butters I generally like natural ones, but I tried a white chocolate one recently and it’s wonderful. My fave squash is butternut.
Courtney @ Don’t Blink. Just Run. recently posted..Rock N Roll WeekendMy Profile

40 Becky @ Olives n Wine September 30, 2013 at 11:04 am

Oh girl, I’m also not a lipstick kinda lady. I feel that it wears off too quickly and smears and all of that jazz… I’m intrigued about this new brand however! Did you find it at Sephora? (probably a dumb question ;) ) And how did you decide on a color??
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Dark Chocolate Pumpkin CookiesMy Profile

41 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Yup! You can get ‘em at Sephora or probably the beauty counter at your big department stores (I have no idea what they are in the States). As for the colour, you can either ask one of the people working there to apply a few on you and help you choose a colour, or you can just try to wing it.

42 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

Considering that your taste in books is pretty similar to mine, I’ll have to make sure I check that book out! And as for awesome things that happened in September…well…I went to Minneapolis and got the hang out with you for a weekend, so I’m going to go ahead and say that that’s pretty fabulous ;-)
As for nut butters, I tend to buy natural ones and pick up the flavoured ones as a treat once in a while. like that Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut – holy wow I am obsessed with it. So good.
And favourite squash…actually, so far the red kabocha is winning out for me. It’s sweeter than the regular one, so even better for my sweet tooth.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Rehashing September.My Profile

43 Mary September 30, 2013 at 11:19 am

I’m yet to try chia seeds! Adding it to my to-do-list now.
September for me was all about starting my new job in a secondary school and adjusting from working full time hours to part-time hours across two jobs!
Book Thief is the book I literally picked up to start last night, can’t wait to get into it. :)
Mary recently posted..I’ve missed club trail runsMy Profile

44 Natalie @ Lift,Sleep, Eat September 30, 2013 at 11:25 am

I can’t believe that tomorrow is the first day of October! How fast is the year going! I loveeee squash also – especially the kabocha variety (of course) my store didn’t have any in today though! Upsetting!
I really need to buy myself a milk frother – those things look amazing.
I prefer flavoured nut butters normally, but then it usually depends on the brand .
Natalie @ Lift,Sleep, Eat recently posted..Pumpkin Kabocha Smores Protein WafflesMy Profile

45 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm

My regular grocery store was out of kabocha too, which was super upsetting since I’ve basically been going through withdrawals after not having it for a few days!

46 Cassie September 30, 2013 at 11:28 am

What a hard question to answer about the nut butters! It depends on my mood. I love flavored ones but I also love plain ones… maybe what I’m using it for?

I bought a kombucha squash because I saw how much you ate it… excited to try!
Cassie recently posted..Race Recap: Pittsburgh Great RaceMy Profile

47 Nicole @ FruitnFitness September 30, 2013 at 11:31 am

Glad you made it home safe after your trip. I know I always get so tired after road trips, which is funny since I’m not usually doing anything but sitting in a car. I’m glad the fig and goat cheese muffins made it into September favorites!
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..MIMM – squash and sushiMy Profile

48 Anna @ Fitness à la Anna September 30, 2013 at 11:40 am

What a great list! I am a HUGE fan of butternut squash and trying to learn what to do with spaghetti squash haha. I am trying to start reading more now that the weather is getting cooler, I always let it kind of fall by the wayside during the summer…maybe I will check out the Book Thief as well!
Anna @ Fitness à la Anna recently posted..09/30 Marvelous in My MondayMy Profile

49 Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite September 30, 2013 at 11:41 am

I finished the book thief this month, too. I’m glad you are liking it…it took me forever to get through for some reason. I liked it but I can’t quite put my finger on why it wasn’t my favorite book ever if you know what I mean. I am glad I read it, though…especially since the move is coming out in November. And I am sooo obsessed with justin’s maple almond butter. I had a single serving packet and was really sad when it was gone- I need to bite the bullet (with the price of it!) and just get it :)
Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted..Five Friday FavoritesMy Profile

50 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 3:04 pm

It took me a while to get through it too – I think maybe because it was a was pretty heavy with its subject matter.

51 Cassie @RedLetterDaye September 30, 2013 at 11:53 am

Omg, September has been such a whirlwind, and October is gearing up to be, too. I’ve seen lots of live music, been to a few music festivals, met some members of Said the Whale and Crystal Fighters this weekend lol(definitely a story there haha), I’m shopping for a new car, and fall is here!

Lately I’ve been digging Delicata squash, and honey peanut butter is my fave (only behind Cookie butter- which counts, right?) ;)
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..the only thing constant in life…My Profile

52 Jemma September 30, 2013 at 12:18 pm

That lipstick is such a pretty shade. I stocked up on some squash at the weekend, cannot wait to get stuck in! :-)
Jemma recently posted..I {HEART} SeptemberMy Profile

53 Alex @ Kenzie Life September 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Something awesome that happened for me in September was meeting Marianne Williamson!

54 Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen September 30, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Blogging is so great for finding happiness. I like that expression, “choose happiness.” Right on! Have a great week Amanda!
Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen recently posted..Marvelous Cheesy PastaMy Profile

55 dixya| food, pleasure, and health September 30, 2013 at 1:52 pm

i cant believe Sept is over, just like that..I have seen metal ones for the tongue but I havent used it. I need to check out that makeup remover. Thanks..Goat and Figs muffin has been on my mind so much but I havent had any luck with finding figs. Have a great Monday
dixya| food, pleasure, and health recently posted..Vegan Pumpkin Brownies {with Barley Flour and Jaggery}My Profile

56 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl September 30, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I think that you and I may have to fight over who loves Justin’s maple AB more! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Tempeh “Chicken” Nuggets with Sriracha KetchupMy Profile

57 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 4:01 pm

May the nuttiest one win ;)

58 Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy September 30, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I love Justin’s Maple AB! It’s definitely my favorite AB by far! My favorite squashes are spaghetti or butternut squash. But, I just love squash in general, because you can do so much with them!
Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy recently posted..Baked Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar DoughnutsMy Profile

59 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen September 30, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Something awesome that happened in September… hanging out with you at HLS, obviously! ;) Also starting my internship this month was pretty awesome as well.

I’ve unfortunately never had the chance to try flavoured almond butter, but I’ve tried flavoured soy nut butter and I’m not a fan. I like the regular kind way better!

Favourite squash is definitely kabocha! #predictableblogger
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Weekend highlightsMy Profile

60 Ashley {Whole Foods New Body} September 30, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Love this post! On my list to buy…..Milk frother and Bioderma Cleansing water. Definitely checking out Coffitivity!!! I couldn’t agree more about the Chia seeds, Pumpkin and Squash. They are all on my list of obsession right now also!! :)

61 lindsay September 30, 2013 at 5:05 pm

have you made chia pudding yet? you could top it with frothy milk! hehe

do it! and then unpack your suitcase
lindsay recently posted..Yeah, But… & Basil Lime Tamari GlazeMy Profile

62 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I’ve only made it once a loooong time ago and I don’t remember being a fan. I guess I could try it again, but I’m afraid to ruin the good thing I’ve got going here…

63 lindsay October 1, 2013 at 5:07 am

i make it with banana and greek yogurt. Maybe some chocolate chips involved??
lindsay recently posted..Yeah, But… & Basil Lime Tamari GlazeMy Profile

64 Arman @ thebigmansworld September 30, 2013 at 6:01 pm

We have the same taste in lipstick….just kidding. I look at my hands, see the orange tinge and swear off eating it for a while. Go on your blog, see someone with the same obsession, and consider the previous statement blashphemy. Cannot believe you even asked that squash question. Next!

Nut butters- I like natural ones- the flavoured ones are usually overpowering or too sweet- I really like nut butters slightly salty!

Really looking forward to your recap of the trip!
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..MIMM- New blog features, a review and GIVEAWAY!My Profile

65 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables September 30, 2013 at 6:30 pm

September went by so fast!!! I can’t wait to do all things pumpkin! I haven’t started yet… :) My favorite squash is hands down butternut squash!
ps… I’m so with you on checking your teeth before leaving after chia seeds! It can be dangerous! lol
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..Marvelous SeptemberMy Profile

66 Dana @ Dana's B.S. September 30, 2013 at 8:42 pm

It’s hard to believe September is over, but October is the best. I have not had kabocha sqaush, but you have convinced me to change that. Adding it to next week’s grocery list.
Dana @ Dana’s B.S. recently posted..Made Me Laugh MondayMy Profile

67 Emily September 30, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Must. Find. Bioderma.
After hearing countless bloggers and YouTubers rave over it, it’s obvious that it’s an AMAZING product. Unfortunately, they don’t sell it in the states. Boo. I’m considering just breaking down and ordering a bottle.
So many fun things this month! I’m still planning to try your fig & goat cheese muffins soon- I can’t wait!
Emily recently posted..yes, girlMy Profile

68 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 1, 2013 at 9:15 am

Yeah I only know of one drugstore that sells it in Canada. BUT… I’ve heard that the L’Oreal Skin Perfection 3 in 1 Solution is a pretty good dupe for it, and I think they sell that in the States…

69 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate September 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I am so with you on the squash, chia seeds, and milk frother. And now I am seriously intrigued by this Bioderma business…like Emily said, I wish they sold it here!
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Weekend MomentsMy Profile

70 Jessie October 1, 2013 at 12:09 am

Perfect time on returning back from vacation. I’m not sure where you went (3 week long vacation will do that to ya), but I’m glad your back so I can read all about your adventures.. and I don’t have to go without my daily nose of Amanda now that I’m home =)

p.s. the caramel macchiato almonds are my favorite ones.

71 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 1, 2013 at 1:39 am

I saw the trailer for The Book Thief the last time I went to the theater! It looked like it was really well done…though definitely more of a wait until it comes to Redbox to see sort of movie! Now you’ve got me wanting to read the book!

I need to check out that cleansing water! I’ve been thinking about getting something a little gentler on my face than cleanser for in the mornings…er, afternoons when I get up! ;)

Favorite squash: Kabocha ALL THE WAY! And as far as nut butters go, I do like the occasional tryst with the flavored stuff, but I’ll take a plain crunchy peanut butter over anything!
Something awesome: ME!! Haha! But seriously, the moment I realized that I’m ME again! I honestly can’t believe how normal I’m feeling! I’m still loving food but I’m not thinking/obsessing about it non-stop, I’m enjoying the occasional treat without regret, and feeling adventurous when it comes to eating out again! Cue cheese-eating emotion…:D
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Currently: SeptemberMy Profile

72 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 1, 2013 at 9:22 am

Awwr lady… talk about bringing the biggest smile to my face on a gloomy October morning. So, SO ridiculously happy for you <3

73 Eating 4 Balance October 1, 2013 at 5:01 am

We don’t have any brands of canned organic pumpkin around here… Jealousy time. Oh how the tables do turn! :D

I kind of want a tongue scrubber now.

The Book Thief sounds really good. I never knew that is was narrated by death. I will have to check it out before the movie comes out.
Eating 4 Balance recently posted..Liebster… Why Not? (Marvelous in my Monday)My Profile

74 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 1, 2013 at 7:07 am

Great stuff! I need to start paying attention to your beauty tips/products. I feel like I need a makeover! (or at least some new fun stuff to play with)

Fav squash is probably butternut. Fav nut butters taste like nutbutters… except PB & Co’s cinnamon raisin. Drooooool
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Fun with FeltMy Profile

75 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change October 1, 2013 at 7:26 am

I definitely think the best thing about September was attending Healthy Living Summit. It was such a great experience and made me feel like I was in the right spot with blogging! I am so intrigued by the Orabrush – definitely something for me to look into!
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..When School Ate My Life.My Profile

76 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl October 1, 2013 at 8:24 am

You had quite the amazing month! I feel your love for all things squash. I’m really glad that you mentioned that lipstick. It’s been a long time since I’ve bought a nice lipstick, so I’m taking note of this one and just might pick some up next time I’m shopping. I’m also glad that you mentioned the book. I’ve had it on my “to read” list for some time, but I’m just not sure that I would like it. I think that you finally convinced me to give it a try. I’ve had really bad luck in the book department and I need something to end it. ;)
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Slow Cooker Pumpkin Turkey ChiliMy Profile

77 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Definitely pick up the YSL lipstick if you’re looking for a good one – I’ve never come across another lipstick that feels quite as nice as this one does, and it doesn’t hurt that the packaging just makes it feel totally glamorous ;)

78 Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness October 1, 2013 at 9:05 am

cant wait to hear more about your trip!! and see the photos of course :) personally, i think i prefer straight up non-flavored nut butters… although.. yes, im sticking with that before i think too hard about it. personally i learned a lot in september about inner strength, which was awesome in its own way, however, im glad that month is over. looking forward to october!!
Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted..The Real TV GuideMy Profile

79 Ja @ Ja on the RUN October 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Wow I learned a lot from this post especially on the Beauty section part! I may have to check the lipstick! :) Thanks for sharing! :)
Ja @ Ja on the RUN recently posted..Coast-to-Coast Trip Part 4: Jackson Hole, WYMy Profile

80 Katherine October 1, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Glad you had an uneventful and safe trip home!

I’m in love with your pictures. I want to dive into your life and eat yummy pumpkin baked goods and almond butter. Your pictures look so homey and comforting. I don’t know how to explain it, but I just love them!

I’m in love with YSL lipstick. I have a light pink one that is my absolute favorite, so I would have to agree.

I prefer all natural nut butters. After eating all natural for most of my life, the flavored ones sometimes taste funny to me. I love most types of squash. Spaghetti squash, pumpkin, and kabocha are some of my favorites though!
Katherine recently posted..Check That Off My Bucket List: Running in a Hurricane!My Profile