. a side effect of blogging .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on September 9, 2013

You know those days where you’re feeling great, everything’s going according to plan, and you’re rocking your to-do list like a champ? Yesterday was not one of those days…

It all started when I left home to go to church in the morning. I was waiting for the elevator to show (running down stairs in heels is a big no no), and the doors finally opened to reveal a cute little chihuahua, just riding the elevator all by himself. Awwww. I thought it was a little odd, but adorable nonetheless. Little did I know that what I assumed to be a cute and innocent little doggie was actually a bloodthirsty killer…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

[Source] – my attacker was a light tan.

So… doors open, thing starts barking and scurrying about, and finally decides to latch on to my pant leg. Cuuuuuuuute. It was all of three pounds so no damage was done (to my leg or pants), but it was certainly an interesting way to start the day. And things only went downhill from there…

For whatever reason, I started to feel really sick while I was sitting in church. Lightheaded, cold, tired – all sorts of dazed ‘n’ confused. Although I’m not 100% sure what caused it, I have a feeling it had something to do with the weather… Hear me out. I have chronically low blood pressure, which usually isn’t too much of a problem, but overcast/rainy days and falling atmospheric pressure can easily make it one. I managed to make it through church okay, but I really wasn’t feeling up for anything after that – I didn’t even keep with Sunday tradition and make a pit stop at the bakery to pick myself up a treat. Le boo.did grab a coffee, which often helps when I start feeling that way… buuuuuuut yesterday it didn’t. Le boo times two.

And I’m going to stop there before this turns in to a full-blown pity party, because really, despite feeling kind of crappy and not getting everything I wanted done (besides grocery shopping, because… food… duh), I still had a pretty good day. So let’s take a look at the good things from yesterday, shall we?

There was breakfast

First Bite of Oats

The first bite is always the best. Why? Because it’s the most pleasing to the tastebuds (habituation kicks in after a while and things don’t taste as good) and you know you still have a whole bowl ahead of you to enjoy.

Time with J…

Flowers from J

I think I found myself a keeper <3

Time on the mat…

Time on the Mat

Some days you just really need to stretch it out and breathe.

Time in the grass…

Laying in the Grass

There’s something about laying out in the grass without anything getting between you and the ground that feels so good.

Kabocha…

Kabocha Squash

Definitely pushing the limits when it comes to how much I can eat before I’m nursing a squash belly.

Mom’s apple coffee cake…

Mom's Apple Coffee Cake

It may not have been a scone from Duchess, but it was still damn good. Mom <3

Aaaaand that evening bike ride through the river valley…

River Bike Ride

River Valley

Canada Geese

In retrospect, going for a trail ride while nursing a squash belly may not have been the very best life decision, but hey… a little bit of discomfort is good for developing character… or something :shock:

So that’s that – the highlights of what was otherwise kind of a wonky day. You want to know one of the [many] things I love about blogging? It really forces me to look back and take notice of the positive aspects of my day. Since I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer and whine and mope too much, I try to focus on the positives when I write… and while all the talk of sunshine and rainbows may be one of the reasons that blogs can come across as being unrealistic, another side effect is that they just make you more positive in general – kind of like writing down things that you’re grateful for. Everyone has crap to deal with, everyone has bad days. But there are good things even in those bad days – it just comes down to noticing them.

What do you guys think? Does focusing on the positives make a blog unrealistic or a good places to feel inspired/motivated?

1 elise September 9, 2013 at 6:08 am

Aw, sorry to hear your day started off so crummy. :/ But glad to see that you have some happy highlights, too! Yoga is always a win, no matter what. It always helps me just feel so relaxed and at ease. Whenever I’m super anxious or stressed, it pulls me back to my center and helps me mellow out. Love it! I also love laying out in the grass…especially when it’s a warm day and the grass is still cool from the night (usually only in the early mornings).

Plus, fresh baked goods are always, always, always a sure-fire way to feel better! :)
elise recently posted..Strides are strides, no matter how smallMy Profile

2 Jo @ Living Mint Green September 9, 2013 at 6:09 am

No, it makes you more relatable when you talk about shitty things. But I see what you mean about finding that balance of great vs. not so great stuff. Man, that sucks at the LBP & the weather. Who would’ve thought?! I get migraines from the low pressure sometimes. Not fun.

I’m so excited squash belly season is among us! You should give it it’s own hashtag! ;)
Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted..End Of Summer Fun {Fairmont, BC}My Profile

3 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

:lol: At this point I think I’m going to have to. But I’m going to take your advice and see if the digestive enzymes work. Fingers crossed!

4 Kelly @ Femme Fitale September 9, 2013 at 6:11 am

I was just thinking about this the other day. I came back to Australia after my vacation in Canada, and was feeling slightly down in the dumps. But after writing/listing the things I am grateful for here in the land down under, I felt a million times better.
I think that you could definitely hide behind rainbows and sunshine on a blog, but I think readers will see through that in time. I think if you write for yourself, even if it means focusing heavily on the more positive things in life, then it’s win-win for everyone (blogger included). Happy Monday!
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Monday MondayMy Profile

5 Kelly @ Femme Fitale September 9, 2013 at 6:20 am

PS- That Chihuahua story is out of control !!! hahaha
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Monday MondayMy Profile

6 Lucie September 9, 2013 at 6:12 am

Oh girl…..I am SO with you. After returning from my bike tour last night I felt completely down. We all have these days, we’re human and this is life – we just have to go with the ebbs and flows of it. I think, that blogs which also talk about the bad days, are more relatable – because I can not imagine a life with ONLY sunshine and rainbows – besides that, wouldn’t that be a bit boring? As tough as some days may seem, they give that pinch of pepper and strength to our characters and make us strong.
I am so glad you found some positive and good moments in your day, this is all what counts!
Lucie recently posted..Marvelous in my Monday – Alp Challenge 2013My Profile

7 Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com September 9, 2013 at 6:13 am

I couldn’t agree more with you – everyone does have good and bad days and bad things that happen on good days – and good things that happen on bad days – I think focusing on the positive is very important and one of the reasons I so love your blog! I don’t think it’s unrealistic – but find it incredibly motivating and inspiring! Takes a lot of character to be able to see the good in the bad … all those bike rides with a squash belly are working wonders! ;)
Your mom’s apple coffee cake has me wanting it for breakfast!
And your elevator story – oh too funny – little dogs and their big egos :)
Hope you have a marvelous monday!
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Healthy Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze!My Profile

8 Davida @ The Healthy Maven September 9, 2013 at 6:13 am

A perfect looking weekend! I have chronically low blood-pressure too but never realized that those days when I feel like I’m going to pass out have anything to do with weather! Good to know…I add salt to everything to try to raise it! And coffee helps too.

Tried kabocha finally and my mouth LOVED it…but my stomach was no a fan :( Any tips??

p.s. definitely a keeper :)
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..{MIMM} Weekend Recap 09/06-09/08My Profile

9 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm

:lol: My doctor actually recommended lots of salt and caffeine… Basically what everyone else is -not- supposed to be eating. And with the kabocha, I just try to keep my portions reasonable and make sure I’m not taking in too much fiber with the other parts of my meal. Also, balancing it out with fat/protein is a good idea. And I haven’t tried this yet, but I heard that digestive enzymes make a huge difference. Oh! And I avoid eating the skin as well… that does a number on me.

10 Nicole @ FruitnFitness September 9, 2013 at 6:13 am

Sorry to hear about your evil attacker. I’m glad you survived! Other than that it looks like you had a good weekend with beautiful flowers, kabocha :) and a nice ride. I know its always good to focus on the positive. Thinking positive helps you to feel positive! I like when bloggers focus on being true, and sometimes there are bumps in the road and we all have them so there is no reason to pretend that everything is always perfect. Because that just isn’t life.
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..MIMM pretending its fallMy Profile

11 Ksenija @ Health Ninja September 9, 2013 at 6:18 am

So true! That is what I love about the Marvelous Monday party, I always retrospect my weekends and share the most beautiful things. When I look back a few weeks later it makes me all smiley and happy inside.

Hope you feel better today and your J is around a bit longer? Have a beautiful Monday, lovely!
Ksenija @ Health Ninja recently posted..Marvelous Weekend {barcamp and foodie paradise}My Profile

12 Laura @losingrace September 9, 2013 at 6:26 am

Sorry your day didn’t start great but glad there were some positives later on. You are 100% right, everyone has things going on, ups and downs are a part of life. I like reading blogs that showcase both. I don’t want to read someone who whines all the time but a blog that is most positive with a few “human pieces” in there makes it more relatable. I like your blog because it’s relatable:)
Laura @losingrace recently posted..Wineglass: 4 weeks outMy Profile

13 Khushboo September 9, 2013 at 6:29 am

I definitely agree with your approach on focusing on the goods and making your blog a positive space. It’s almost a domino effect i.e. reading about your ups from yesterday despite feeling less than stellar makes me want to do the same about mine :). I think it becomes more of a problem when a blogger tries to exaggerate their ups constantly to the point that it becomes unrelateable. While we all have issues & problems of our own, I think we are all blessed with small joys too- the difference is that some people tend to not acknowledge them and only focus on what’s going wrong.

Hope you are feeling as good as new today, Amanda!
Khushboo recently posted..K Weigh at Studio FifteenMy Profile

14 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Ahh exaggeration drives me crazy as well. Positivity is infectious, but too much just makes me want to roll my eyes… and I seriously hope that I don’t come across as being disingenuous with mine :?

15 Heather @fitncookies September 9, 2013 at 6:30 am

I also have low blood pressure so I can totally relate! I never really connected it with weather, though. That’s interesting. I feel it the most when I stand up.. blacking out, dizzy spells, ugh. Anywayyy yes I love that blogging makes me look at positive. Obviously sometimes writing about my bad day or somethign that happened helps, I try to turn it around :) Hope you are feeling much better today! Stop at the bakery today and eat something yummy for me, mmmk? :)
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Steeler Home Opener: MIMMMy Profile

16 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee September 9, 2013 at 6:44 am

Little yappy dogs actually terrify me! I am so glad you enjoyed all those other wonderful things. No, I don’t think focusing on the positives is unrealistic. You acknowledged what was not so great but you are showing your readers to move on and focus on the happy. I love it!
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..So It’s Not A Long Weekend?My Profile

17 Lindsey @ Run by Faith September 9, 2013 at 6:45 am

I think you’ve gotta have a little bit of both sides – when people seem too positive and their lives seem too perfect, it doesn’t come off as very real and can actually be the opposite of inspirational! But you’re right, you don’t want to be on the down side too often. (oh, and… I may be the only person in the world that doesn’t know this…but, what is squash belly?)
Lindsey @ Run by Faith recently posted..What Do You Crave?My Profile

18 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Very true – a little bit of balance is key. And squash belly is just the uncomfortable bloated/full feeling that comes with eating too much squash. Nothing serious, just annoying.

19 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles September 9, 2013 at 6:51 am

Drooling over that apple coffee cake. I’ve actually never known anyone who has chronically low blood pressure; that’s really interesting! I definitely agree that a blog is typically a place people come to for positivity. I’ve actually unsubscribed from a few blogs because they turned into complain fests every single day…I get that people have good days and bad days, but no one (or at least, I don’t) wants to hear someone complain every.single.day.
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..That time when I was awake for 20 hours straightMy Profile

20 Becky @ Olives n Wine September 9, 2013 at 7:08 am

Oh my goodness – that dog! How frightening. I have a thing against “little” dogs… don’t get me wrong, some are definitely okay but most of the time they are more terrifying (let’s call it, small dog syndrome…) than their larger counterparts! And I feel you on the low blood pressure – I have the same problem and feel light-headed and faint about 50% of the time. It always like to creep up at the most inappropriate times as well… before a big presentation, meeting new people… fun times. I hope you’re feeling better today! Oh and to answer your question – I don’t think being positive makes a blog unrealistic, especially when you mention and discuss the not so good parts of your day.
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Arugula & Goat Cheese Flatbread PizzaMy Profile

21 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I feel the same way about little dogs! I think they’re cute to look at, but I don’t think I could ever handle owning one – they seem a little neurotic, whereas big dogs are just so chill.

22 Caitlin September 9, 2013 at 7:15 am

Ahhh yes :) I love this way of looking at it, girl! Sometimes I worry when I write that I’m creating a seemingly perfect life, but that’s not my intention at all. I try to focus on the positives rather than dwell on the negatives, which is a HUGE help to me, since it’s very easy to look at things and be like, “well this sucks, i’m in a crappy mood, and i can’t do anything about it.” By looking at the positives, you show yourself that things hopefully aren’t as bad as they seem and there is still a ton to be thankful for :) I hope you feel better today, love!!
Caitlin recently posted..Game TimeMy Profile

23 Parita @ myinnershakti September 9, 2013 at 7:18 am

It’s funny because when my morning starts off on the wrong foot, I know that without fail the rest of the day will follow. Goes without saying! I do think that thinking postively helps get you through those moments, and I love when bloggers write about stressful moments and show how they get through them, which you do very well! :)

24 Samantha @ 10,000 Squats September 9, 2013 at 7:20 am

I think aside from the few small interruptions to your day (weird chihuahua story) you did pretty good! I know what it’s like to feel sick randomly, that’s no fun. Glad your day got better though. :)
Samantha @ 10,000 Squats recently posted..Food for Thought: Gnocchi Chicken MinestroneMy Profile

25 Christina @ the athletarian September 9, 2013 at 7:21 am

Oh no!! I hope you are feeling better today! Crappy days can do weird things to my body as well.

I love when blogs focus on the positives but I also appreciate when bloggers (like you) admit to days not being perfect all the time!! Blogs that are happy-go-lucky, sunshine and rainbows ALL the time are just not realistic at all. I like being able to relate to people and it’s easier to do when they are more “real”.

Now I would like some of that coffee cake and also a clone of J. Okay thanks.
Christina @ the athletarian recently posted..PLAN BMy Profile

26 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Trade you a clone of J for a clone of Princeton :mrgreen:

27 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 9, 2013 at 7:22 am

Sounds good to me! Wonky… but good. ;) I know what you mean about blogging bringing out the positives. I had my share of that last week, and I’m sure it will continue. Always gotta’ look on the bright side…
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..32 Weeks (or Weaks?)My Profile

28 Ashley @ Life and Fitness September 9, 2013 at 7:23 am

Glad to hear you’re feeling better! Isn’t it crazy how looking at all the positives instantly makes you feel better? I do like reading blogs that are positive and don’t dwell on the negatives. Sometimes it can portray they have a perfect life but I remember no one does.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Scenes From My SaturdayMy Profile

29 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 9, 2013 at 7:26 am

Wow, what a start to your day! The dog sounds like a little terror! Yikes!

At least the rest of your day was better! Those flowers are gorgeous and your mom’s apple coffee cake looks scrumptious!

I think always talking about the positive, while not bad, can make things seem a bit unrealistic from time to time. We all have negative events that happen in our life, and I think talking about them helps me relate to you or any other blogger and makes me feel like I’m not alone. I think it’s all about balance.
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Target Practice – HealingMy Profile

30 Ang @ Nutty for Life September 9, 2013 at 7:33 am

I have a tiny fear of dogs/animals attacking me so I probably would have started hyperventilating even with a tiny dog coming at me. I love the perspective of blogging making you take a step back and looking at the positives. But on the flip side, sometimes it’s nice to hear that everything isn’t happiness and rainbows because it makes me feel more connected on a human level. Have a great Monday! And I still contest that the last bite can be the best :)
Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted..Subbing [Half-Marathon Monday]My Profile

31 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm

But… but… how do you deal with the whole “it’s gone :( ” mentality?! It’s like… be sad that it’s over, or happy that it happened?! ;)

32 meredith September 9, 2013 at 7:39 am

Hope you feel better today- I too have low blood pressure and can randomly be affected. When the weather is iffy and the pressure in atmosphere is screwy, I don’t feel so great either – headachy and just off…We are both the kind of people that look for the positive so I agree that blogging helps sort it all out and you find the positives. Have a great Monday – I know how you love Monday!
meredith recently posted..Back to School!My Profile

33 Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes September 9, 2013 at 7:43 am

I hope today gets better for you :-) Sending my love.
Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes recently posted..Fabulous food and finds!My Profile

34 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl September 9, 2013 at 7:47 am

So sorry you didn’t feel good, but it sounds like a pretty positive weekend in spite of feeling under the weather. I can almost smell those roses through my computer screen….. definitely a keeper!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Marvelous Snacking with KIND snack barsMy Profile

35 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health September 9, 2013 at 7:55 am

I’m glad to hear the chihuahua didn’t do any damage. That picture you found is hilarious!

At least your bike ride was pretty and you got gorgeous roses! Those are definite positives.
I love your idea to write down the positives. I think it’s a great reminder to be happy for all of the good things in our lives!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Hot in San FranciscoMy Profile

36 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

I thought it was weird finding a raccoon on my balcony, but finding a mouthy little chihuahua in an elevator wins out I think. How weird! I hope he found his way home though!
And my blood pressure is on the low side, but I don’t think I’ve ever had any symptoms like yours, that’s intense. I hope you’re feeling better today! And your mom’s apple coffee cake looks amazing…and I’m not even the biggest coffee cake fan.
You have officially inspired me to break out the bike again. I’m going for a bike ride through the park in a little while!
As for blogging and positivity, I think I always appreciate a balance. We all have bad days and it’s unrealistic to act like we don’t, but it’s also nice to keep a focus on the general positives of the day. Acknowledge the bad stuff happened, and then move on to the happy stuff :-D
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..MIMM: The Early Bird Catches…a Chil?My Profile

37 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Yesterday just wasn’t a good day for random small animals in Canada, it seems! And I’m pretty sure he found his way home considering I met his owner on the main floor and told him what floor his dog was terrorizing. Now what I wanna know is what kind of guy keeps a vicious little chihuahua for a pet :shock:

38 Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 9, 2013 at 7:59 am

Aww Amanda I’m sorry your day started out crummy and what the heck is with that dog?! Like you said, no damage done but still, that little bugger would have scared the bajeezus out of me. I have heard people say the weather can really effect their health (not just old people with their aching limbs and joints ha), and leads to feelings of illness. Too bad the coffee didn’t help too much and I hope you are all better today of course :)
I know what you mean about blogging and I know when I start writing, starting out as a pity party for me, I am often humbled a bit by my own words and feelings. Then I allow myself to see the big picture and realize that the world has indeed not ended
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Confidence, When Only Physical Apperance Is ConsideredMy Profile

39 Carly @ Snack Therapy September 9, 2013 at 8:21 am

People forget that blogs don’t represent our lives in their entirety. If I tried to that, I would never be able to actually go out and live my life. I say write what makes you happy. And keep including pictures of yummy baked good, please.

xo
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..Confessions: Part Ten ThousandMy Profile

40 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 9, 2013 at 8:21 am

We have a little chihuahua next door to us, and it sounds JUST like the one you were describing in the elevator. It’s all cute on the outside, but it’s really a little monster! That thing scares the crap out of me. Ha! So sorry it was kind of a rough day… We all have ‘em from time to time! Hopefully today will be better! As for blogging, I like a good mix of positivity but also “real-ness”. You have a great mix! ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..The Man Games, Football Season, & LaMaLu Boutique GiveawayMy Profile

41 Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom September 9, 2013 at 8:22 am

Why was a chihuahua riding the elevator by itself? Haha that’s so weird! I think that it’s important that we balance the good and the bad on the blog world. It helps our readers realize that we are normal people. It’s not realistic to pretend that everything is all fun and games, sunshine and rainbows every day!
Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted..Brooks Ravenna 4 ReviewMy Profile

42 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I have -no- idea. His owner was looking for him on the main floor, but I don’t know how you accidentally leave a dog in an elevator…

43 Miss Polkadot September 9, 2013 at 9:27 am

Aw, sorry to hear about you feeling under the weather – literally. I hope today’s going better for you already though the weather’s really been acting up the past days. Still, it makes me so happy to hear how – despite your original plans falling through – happy your Sunday was after all. Honestly, doesn’t a mom-baked cake is at least as good as one from the bakery :)?
Focusing on the positives is a good idea in general to me – but only if it’s not forced. As in: yes to sharing happiness but you shouldn’t feel pressured to do it. We do all have our funks and sad days. To give a true and whole picture our blogs should be a place where we can just let it all out: happy at times, grumpy at others. It’s perfectly okay and – most importantly – honest and relatable.
That being said blogs are a great positivity inspiration for me. In fact, it was Katie and her MIMM link-up that had me make a genuine effort to look at even the smallest upsides on crotchety days. That’s not to say I was an all-around negative Nancy before that but even my mum told me she noticed a difference in me being happier overall after a while. And if that isn’t proof enough of the amazing side effects of blogging I don’t know what would be.
Happy Monday!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Fudgy Dark Chocolate [Black Bean] TrufflesMy Profile

44 Lauren September 9, 2013 at 9:34 am

I do like for people to stay positive, but if they stay positive all the time… I feel I can’t relate to them or I only know about half of the person. I like to have people who open up about everything because I feel as though I truly know THEM not just the things they want me to know about them… If it makes sense. Or you could be like me and share entirely too much :-) LOL

Gosh, your apartment must smell AMAZING with all of these flowers. If you didn’t live eons away, I would definitely come visit you and go to the bakery!

45 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Ohhh if only. And you’d have to bring Elmo! There’s a doggie bakery really close to my favourite one :D

46 Lauren September 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Elmo said he’ll drive the [probably] 48 hour drive to come visit you for a biscuit! He’ll do anything for good food ;-)
Lauren recently posted..where do I go from here?My Profile

47 Angela @ Health's Angel September 9, 2013 at 10:39 am

What a way to start the day!?! Geeze, haha. Very strange, but hopefully the dog found its way home alright. I appreciate honesty in blogs, for sure. We’re all human!
And, that coffee cake looks so. incredible. Yum!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Coconut CrazeMy Profile

48 Cassie @RedLetterDaye September 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

I think we need the recipe for that coffee cake.

I decided last minute to go to a(n expensive) music festival 2+ hours away with my best friend. My boyfriend decided to stay at home. Music festivals mean camping and lugging my belongings up and down the hills of the Catskill mountains. I was already tired and trying to fight off a cough/sore throat I’d been dealing with for 3 weeks, but I never see my friend so I sucked it up and went. Unfortunately, my friend was also getting sick, and ended up getting sicker due to taking cold medicine, and deciding to have a drink, not thinking of the consequences. She ended up going to bed at 9pm, while the music lasted all night. I didn’t know everyone too well, but ended up hanging out with her boyfriend and some of the boys all night and had a ton of fun and made new friends.

Unfortunately, when she woke up, she was not okay, and couldn’t keep anything down. Eventually she begged to go home, so being the BFF that I am, I volunteered to pack all our stuff, hike back up the mountain and drive her home (she lives 2 hours North of the festival, I live 2 hours west). I had spent lots of money on the ticket, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I was sad to leave but being a trooper, but I couldn’t contain my emotions (hello, that time of month) when I got pulled over on the way through a small town nearby. I had forgotten to get my car inspected (5 days past due), so he gave me a ticket for that instead of “speeding” (I know I wasn’t speeding-grr). Thanks, I think? So after getting lost a few times, about an hour and a half away, she started to feel better. She felt bad about making us leave, and then “just kidding, I’m fine” ;) , and the ticket and everything, but we decided to grab some food and head back to the festival . No harm, no foul, I was just glad she felt better and everyone was glad we came back.

Anyhoo, the point of my longwinded story is that even when life hands you a poop show, there’s always something to laugh about, some silver lining, and in the end, it usually gets better. Nothing in life is permanent, the good or the bad. Looking back, despite spending too much money, “wasting” a few hours driving to the middle of nowhere and back, and it was worth the memories.

Hope today is better than yesterday for ya. <3
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..I Feel PrettyMy Profile

49 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 1:33 pm

And if nothing else, it just shows you what an amazing friend you are :) But you’re right… it’s often all the screw ups that end up making fond memories… as soon as we can look at them a little more objectively without the attached emotions.

50 Alex @ therunwithin September 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

it is so true. I find it harder to write a fully negative post even when things seem so utterly crappy there is nothing else good about it. a great reminder to live in the moment and let those bad times roll off. or in your case – shake off (damn dog!)
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..MIMM: But I Must ConfessMy Profile

51 Christine@ Apple of My Eye September 9, 2013 at 11:34 am

I’m sorry you were feeling off and about that super random dog. That’s the WEIRDEST thing.

Glad it got better with the roses (!!!! I love J too – what a cutie!), dessert, and you time!

52 Alex @ Kenzie Life September 9, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I’m sorry you had some tough stuff yesterday but hopefully today is better! I agree about focusing on the positive stuff! But I also think touh stuff shouldn’t ever be mentioned. I guess I think it’s about balance :)
Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted..The Surprising Person I Fell In Love With In New York CityMy Profile

53 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) September 9, 2013 at 12:11 pm

One of the best things I’ve done is write a gratitude diary – even when I don’t write it now, I still go through a mental tick list of good stuff before I go to bed and when I wake up :-)

54 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) September 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Yikes, I hope you’re 100% better and that the rest of your week going way better as well :( Hang in there! And I think that positive posts should still be reality – not the sugar-coated world that some bloggers tend to live in (or post about). Your blog is always real and you’re genuine.

55 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Awwr thank ya, love <3 Today is much better, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the weather is more or less back to normal… eesh :roll:

56 Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy September 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Yoga always makes things better :)

57 Ashlee@HisnHers September 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Ahhh I saw that apple crisp on instagram and drooled over it for a good few minutes

58 Eating 4 Balance September 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

So I am not the most patient of blog readers. I will almost always read a post in its entirety, but I’ve been known to skip around to get there. Take today for example- I read the title, saw the dog, and then immediately started scanning the post for where you were acting like… said dog. Haha. I assumed that you meant that you were acting like a rabid little pooch (which I kind of found hard to believe because of how nice and calm you always seem to be. However, people change :P ). Good to know that my initial impression of you was correct and you are not a yippy little puppy dog.

Speaking of dogs though- did you freak out when it latched onto your pant leg? I would have absolutely freaked. I don’t care how big the dog is (well, I guess a Great Dane WOULD scare me more than a Chihuahua…) if it starts to growl, bark, bite, whatever I’m outta there. Call it traumatization from dog bites as a young middle schooler but there is no way in chance that I am getting surgery again from one of those things! Lol.

Now it sounds like I hate dogs. I don’t. I have two at home that I adore. Just had to put that out there.
Eating 4 Balance recently posted..I Just Remembered… (MIMM + WIR)My Profile

59 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I didn’t actually freak out too much because it was so tiny and the whole situation was just too absurd. It definitely didn’t strengthen my love for little doggies though ;)

60 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl September 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I need some kabocha back in my life. My grocery store better get with it and get some in ASAP!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Banana Pumpkin Breakfast Cookie with Raisin Carrot Cake Oatmeal (MyOatmeal)My Profile

61 dixya| food, pleasure, and health September 9, 2013 at 2:18 pm

im sorry about the sick feeling.. i have never tried kabocha everyones talking so much about it…have a wonderful Monday
dixya| food, pleasure, and health recently posted..Chicken Tikka Wraps | Vacation CleanseMy Profile

62 Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 9, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Ahhh I’ve only had Kabocha once and I liked it but it’s SO hard to find! I totally need to hit up the asian grocery store again, because I think that’s the only place around here that has them!
Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted..The Definition of HealthyMy Profile

63 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Really? Awwr sad face! I think I take kabocha for granted because we literally have it around all year, and it’s basically in every grocery store. Hard to imagine it being hard to find in some places!

64 Emily September 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I actually think you do a really good job of balancing positivity and reality. Using your blog as a place to inspire people is important but it’s also crucial to be honest and open when you’re not feeling 100%. Life isn’t perfect and, therefore, our blogs shouldn’t have to be either.

I’m sorry to hear that you had such an off day though- I know how that goes. But it sounds like you made the most of it…plus, when you get flowers like that, how can you complain?! (:
Emily recently posted..a (re)discoveryMy Profile

65 Lisa September 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Aw boo on the crummy day, but it sounds like you were still able to get in some good moments too!
I definitely like the positive part blogging has played in my life. I used to be a SERIOUS debby downer, and I feel like blogging helped to change my perspective to really focus and see the good parts of each day. It sounds weird that blogging would play a part in that, but it seriously has!
Hope you’re feeling better today! I feel you on the low blood pressure – I have it too and sometimes it totally screws with the day!
Lisa recently posted..My Mantra LatelyMy Profile

66 Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now September 9, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I’m sorry that you weren’t feeling well! It sounds like you are feeling better (right?)
The only positive thing I can think of for that is I have a new fave expression – le boo! Thanks for making my day (x2) ;)
Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now recently posted..I’m sensing a patternMy Profile

67 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Hehe! I warn you… it’s kind of addictive one you start saying it ;) And yes, I’m feeling back to my normal self today, thanks!

68 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life September 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Ugh, I’m sorry you weren’t feeling well! I hope everything’s back to normal today. I love your attitude about looking at the positives. :-)
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..Shortbread CookiesMy Profile

69 Arman @ thebigmansworld September 9, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Mum’s coffee cake > scone from duchess. Mum’s have a knack of producing baked goods out of this world- must be the added love. Or butter. Either or.

While the first bite is always a highlight, I can’t help but save the last to be the one filled with the most nut butter/good toppings…must be the weird way I eat around my bowl of oats!

When it comes to blogging, as long as your genuine, I don’t see anything wrong with being a debbie downer… it shows you as human. I’m not a fan of blogs who are all rainbow and sunshines 24/7. Not realistic!
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..Marvelously brain friedMy Profile

70 Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach September 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm

You know what I had this weekend? Kabocha! It was pretty good but sweet potatoes still own my heart. Although it was nice to switch it up. :)
I have to agree with you on looking at the positives. Blogging has really opened up my mind in SO many ways. It’s been therapeutic and I couldn’t imagine where I’d be if I hadn’t started a couple years ago. I get it though, no one is peachy 100% of the time but It’s very important to remind ourselves of the good over the bad.
Maria @ Pappa Don’t Preach recently posted..MIMM: Is it Fall yet?My Profile

71 Ari @ The Pace of it All September 9, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Sorry to hear the day didn’t start off well but glad you made the best of it. And I wonder what the dog was doing alone. Does he know how to walk himself? :)
Ari @ The Pace of it All recently posted..The latest… plus a new Donor’s Choose project, please help!My Profile

72 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 10, 2013 at 3:44 am

:lol: That would be pretty useful, but I honestly have no idea. His owner was looking for him on the main floor, but I’m not sure how you lose a dog in an elevator?

73 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables September 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm

blogging really does force you to look at the positives in life! I had never thought of that before. I hope you are feeling tons better now friend! xoxo
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..Marvelous AugustMy Profile

74 Jess @ Story of a Girl September 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I have at least one wonky day a week – and your Mom’s apple cake looks completely divine. It made me excited for faaallll (we’re still experiencing high summer temps). I’d love if you headed over to my little ‘ole blog to see what I’ve nominated you for!
Jess @ Story of a Girl recently posted..Because cats are the best.My Profile

75 Karey @ Nutty About Health September 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Aw, sorry about the somewhat crappy day! I think that it’s great to hear a bit of the positive & a dash of the negative… you’re only human & even bloggers have bad days.
Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted..MIMM: Roadtrip to LaCrosseMy Profile

76 kris September 9, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Sorry your morning started off kinda bumpy, but it looks like it turned into a wonderful day! I loved reading about the blood thirsty killer (aka chihuahua) in the elevator. Def something that doesn’t happen on a regular basis. Or ever.
kris recently posted..weekend snaps + kodiak cakes winnersMy Profile

77 Jazial - Foxy Fresh September 9, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Your ride looks lovely…ducks!
I think blogging can force you to keep positive, which I think is a good thing! I have a rule not to negative Facebook status update to my friends and family either, which usually stops me moaning and puts things in perspective. I like to think, would this matter in five years? The answer is almost always no! Honesty is good too though…we all have crappy days :)
Jazial – Foxy Fresh recently posted..Treats On Tuesday: Coconut Flour Peanut Butter CookiesMy Profile

78 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 10, 2013 at 8:19 am

Asking yourself if it’ll matter in 5 years is such a great way to put things in perspective, because you’re right… usually the answer ends up being no.

79 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate September 10, 2013 at 1:21 am

It is so true that blogging makes us grateful for things we normally won’t think twice about. There is definitely such a thing as too much sunshine and rainbows, much just the right amount seems to have such a positive effect. I hope you are feeling better today, I’m sure that kabocha will make everything better, just watch your squash belly limits. ;-)
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Headstands, Eats, and ReadsMy Profile

80 Jemma September 10, 2013 at 6:58 am

I cannot wait to get my mitts on some kabocha. One of the reasons why I love autumn.

81 Robyn @thereallife_RD September 10, 2013 at 7:16 am

KABOCHAAA! So good drizzled with maple and cinnamon or coconut butter!
Looks like a restful Sunday :)

82 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 10, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Ahhh they’re -amazing- with coconut butter. Definitely going to have to switch it up from AB next time around.

83 Brittany September 10, 2013 at 10:14 am

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to focus on the positives on your blog. I am all for venting once in a while, but when people talk about all their drama in full detail all the time it’s a bit much for me. I am all for honesty, but there is nothing dishonest about focusing on the highlights!! That dog story is scary and I would have kicked it. HAHA OOPS. I’m glad your day was positive overall!! Your bike ride sounds magical!
Brittany recently posted..Brownie Protein PancakesMy Profile

84 Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian September 10, 2013 at 11:09 am

I find that the blogs that become my favorites are the ones that are about both the positives and negatives in the blogger’s life. It makes me feel more connected to the person to hear about their struggles from time to time, rather than it being all positive all the time.
Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian recently posted..Re-Focusing on GoalsMy Profile

85 Katherine September 10, 2013 at 11:44 am

The time blogging takes is the only major setback about the whole ordeal to me. Sometimes you just have to chose living life over blogging. I love blogging with my whole heart, but some days I shut down my computer and go for a long walk with my mom instead of commenting on other people’s blogs! This post really addressed my struggle with the whole ‘what am I missing?’ question. Whenever I don’t know what to blog about, I sometimes feel like oh I shouldn’t be negative, or I shouldn’t just write useless details of my life that nobody cares about. But, after reading this post, I was enraptured with your little details! Maybe you’ve changed my perspective :)
Katherine recently posted..Tuesday Thoughts.My Profile

86 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 10, 2013 at 3:45 pm

You’d be surprised how fun the little details can be to read! I run into the same problem sometimes with thinking that no one wants to hear about what seems so mundane to me, but it makes you a lot more relatable :)

87 Brittany @ Dulce Vie September 10, 2013 at 12:39 pm

That’s a tough question! I usually try to keep everything positive because I want my readers to leave happy. I do, however, appreciate when people are honest about what is going on in their lives. It makes them more real & relatable! Now that I think about it.. I should probably open up a little more to my readers!
Brittany @ Dulce Vie recently posted..Internet-Free WeekendMy Profile

88 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves September 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Chihuahuas always sorta freaked me out. Sorry to hear you were feeling under the weather–literally.
I feel the same away about blogging. It really has helped me stay positive amidst my really tired, not-so-great days. It’s a welcomed side effect, I’d say! :)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..10-15-20 Workout {MIMM #4}My Profile

89 Amy @ Mommy Rodeo September 10, 2013 at 2:10 pm

And then blogging over time is fun to look back and see highlights (and lowlights I guess). Although I still don’t get how chihuahuas have no concept of their size. Illogically ferocious.
Amy @ Mommy Rodeo recently posted..Have a Little Faith (book review)My Profile

90 Alysia @ Slim Sanity September 10, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I too will try to focus on the positives! It’s a healthy practice, so whatever helps you do it, I’d say keep at it. :)
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Gooey Mixed-Nut BarsMy Profile

91 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body September 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm

It is really great that you are focusing on the positives. That something I really need to do right now to get myself out of the pits. I also have low blood pressure so I know exactly the feeling you are talking about. It can definitely put a damper on the day, but what bothers me most is when I don’t know whats caused it.
Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted..Frozen Fluff – with stargazingMy Profile

92 lindsay September 11, 2013 at 5:39 am

wow, that’s not a good day. You need to tell us so we can cheer you up! is today better? I get the same aches from low pressure weather. I feel your pain, As or the small dog, i would have kicked it. oops.
lindsay recently posted..Making the Most of It: GF Ingredients & September Slow DownMy Profile

93 Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite September 11, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I totally agree- blogging forces you to look at the good things that happened in your day instead of narrowing in on those not so great moments of the day. Such a total positive of blogging!
Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted..Things That Make Me HappyMy Profile

94 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 12, 2013 at 4:37 am

I think it’s really easy to get bogged down with the negative things in life, but doing so basically means you are surrounding yourself with negativity, which just breeds further negatively. It’s harder, although certainly more worthwhile, to focus on our blessings and the positive things around us. I love that you do that. I love that you talk about being grateful and seeing the silver lining on even the darkest clouds. Even though I feel similarly, reading your posts is always a great reminder and refresher to stop and see the bright side. Keep doing what you are doing; I, for one, find it encouraging.
Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted..WIAW: The Dining Solo EditionMy Profile

95 Cassie September 14, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I think it’s good to focus on the positives, but I also like embracing when life is a little messy sometimes… it makes your blog feel more genuine and real.

96 Tamara Coleman September 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Haha the dogs name should be “Killer”! LOL! I have these days more then I should so I feel your pain! Some days I fly through my to do list with a question mark above my head, “Did I really complete everything”? Then most days I feel like if it could go wrong it does and if it wasn’t for shitty luck I might have no luck at all! Such is life :)

97 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 20, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Oh hon! I’m sorry to hear you were feeling so bad! Do you think it was the oats? :(

I think we’re all entitled to a little whining and complaining. If left to my own devices, I can let a bad day really wear me down, but I agree with you, sometimes when we look back on it all in word form, it doesn’t seem as bad as we first thought! :)
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Falling for SummerMy Profile

98 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Nope! Not the oats, I don’t think. It was just one of those brain fog / mental slumps. They seem to come as mysteriously as they go.

99 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 20, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Well, it stinks that you never know where they’re coming from but at least it wasn’t your precious bowl of comfort…I know you’d be sad to see it go again!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Falling for SummerMy Profile