. monthly favorites – march 2013 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on April 2, 2013

I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I definitely came out on top after yesterday’s April Fool’s shenanigans. Five pranks pulled without falling victim to a single one. Win. The best one was probably the prank that I pulled on my mom…

April Fools

Approximately 10 seconds after I sent that text, I got a phone call from a very panicked mother asking me what happened. I kept up the act for a while before becoming a little concerned that I might cause her to have a heart attack or something. Either Mom is far too gullible, or I deserve an Oscar for my performance. I’d say April is off to a pretty good start indeed. That being said, we’ve got another month under our belts which means it’s time for another monthly favorites post!

. food .

I seriously lucked out on the food front in March and came across two new-to-me products that I became instantly obsessed with. First up, Barefruit Apple Chips

Apple Chips

Guys… As if my applesauce addiction didn’t have me eating enough of them, I now get to add to my daily apple count thanks to these wonderfully delicious chips of joy. What I love most about them is that they’re crispy the way chips should be (not spongey the way dried apples can be), and the only ingredients are apples and cinnamon. No sugars. No preservatives. No nonsense. Love it.

Barefruit Apple Chips
Apple Chips

Next up is Oikos’ Coconut Greek Yogurt, aka Heaven in a 100g Container…

Coconut Yogurt

I’m super picky when it comes to flavored yogurts because most of the time I find them to be way too artificial tasting, but Oikos definitely got it right with this one. It’s subtle enough not to be overpowering, with the perfect amount of sweetness and coconut flavor. Combined with the aforementioned apple chips? Divine. And don’t even get me started on how good it tastes when paired with applesauce. There are no words.

Apples and Coconut

This next one is a bit of an oddball because it’s not a food per say, but it doesn’t really fit anywhere else so I’m just going to lump it in here. What am I talking about? Genuine Health Greens+ multi+.

Greens+

Say what? Hear me out. From the site:

For 20 years greens+ has stood the test of time as Canada’s favorite green food supplement, providing consumers with improved health, energy and vitality, as well as nourishing the body with protective antioxidants and detoxifying ingredients. Just one scoop provides a full serving of greens+ that’s rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants, PLUS the convenience of a superior quality, high potency and food-based multi-vitamin/mineral supplement.

Essentially, it’s a green food supplement and multivitamin all in one. You take one scoop a day in water/juice/smoothie/paste/whatever form, and it provides you with a good dose of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and probiotics.

Green Powder

My mom is actually the one who got me into taking this, so I have to send a huge kudos out to her because this stuff is… wow. Amazing. I’m not normally one to buy in to the claims of green/voodoo powders since I tried so many of them in the past only to be underwhelmed by the results, but this.stuff.works. I’ve been taking it daily since the end of February and not only have I noticed a huge difference in my hair, skin and nails, but my energy has gone way up and, surprisingly and unexpectedly enough, my stomach has been reaping all sorts of benefits as well. I don’t want to go all TMI on you guys, but yeah… let’s just say that things finally feel like they’re working as intended ;) Smitten.

And last but not least, although it’s long gone and my heart aches because I can’t buy it anywhere around here, I have to send an honorable mention out to Cascadian Farm Cinnamon Crunch cereal…

Cinnamon Crunch

I picked up a box while I was in Hawaii, hoping that it would be a slightly healthier version of my beloved Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and was pleasantly surprised. But all good things must come to an end, and it’s better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all? Just trying to make myself feel better here…

. beauty .

Winter was rough this year – cold and seemingly never-ending. In an effort to make myself feel better, I spent a good part of March trying to feel more ‘springy’ by painting my nails with pretty smile-inducing colors.

Spring Nail Polish

Essie’s Tart Deco – Turquoise & Caicos – Lilacism – Off the Shoulder – Fiji

It worked. Kind of. But to be honest, I spent most of March trying to minimize winter’s nasty effects on my skin and hair. On the hair front, I’ve been swearing by the Deep Repair Masque by Macademia Hair…

Macademia Hair Repair Masque

I mentioned this stuff in my post about healing malnourished hair, and while I’ve been using it regularly for about a year now, I find myself relying on it a lot more in the winter. It’s an argan oil based heavy-duty conditioner that penetrates deeper into damaged hair to help rebuild and moisturize, leaving it feeling softer and healthier. Definitely a must in my hair care routine.

In last month’s favorites post, I professed my love for MAC’s Fix+ makeup setting spray, and this month I’m admitting infidelity and professing my newfound love for Urban Decay’s All Nighter makeup setting spray.

Urban Decay Spray

After running out of Fix+ and hearing so many good things about the UD spray, I decided to pick it up and see what all the fuss was about. I definitely see, and I have to admit that I’m probably a convert. What I do is apply my liquid makeup first (BB Cream/foundation/concealer), give my face a spray, wait for it to dry, apply my powder makeup (powder/blush/bronzer/highlight), and give my face another spray. Hello all day makeup with no powdery/dry look to speak of. Love it.

But what goes on must come off, and for that I turn to these Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes.

Simple Makeup Wipes

I have pretty sensitive skin that doesn’t respond well to harsh skin care products. Simple wipes are oil, alcohol, dye, perfume, and irritant free and do a great job at removing my makeup without making my face feel raw – just clean and moisturized. I use these every night as part of my nightly skincare routine, and I have a feeling they’ll be a part of it for quite some time.

. book .

March’s book of the month is a little different. Rather than giving up something for Lent this year, I decided that I’d rather focus on doing something more. That didn’t mean that I wanted to eat more chocolate or drink more coffee, but rather work on spending more time strengthening my faith and relationship with God. Enter Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.

Jesus Calling

Devotional Reading 2

I first heard about this devotional from Lindsay, who recommended it to me after I asked her where some of the readings that she often posted were from, and I’m so glad that I picked up a copy for myself. I’ve been reading the daily entry and then spending a little bit of time each day, either in the morning or at night, meditating/journaling about my reaction/thoughts/feelings to it. There have been so many times where the words were exactly what I needed to hear, and the way it’s written makes it feel like Jesus is actually speaking to you, creating a greater sense of intimacy and closeness. I know I don’t spend a lot of time talking about religion and faith, but yeah… this has just been too big of a blessing in my life for me not to share.

Devotional Reading 1

. blog .

Starting this month, I decided to add a little blog recap to the end of my monthly favorites posts, just as a way to look back and remember some of my favorite blog-worthy moments and memories from the past month… especially because I have a tendency to forget a lot of the things that happened to me over the past 30/31 days :shock:

• Obviously, the best part of March was my vacation to Hawaii. The post-vacation blues were no fun, but can you blame me for feeling a little down after experiencing the beauty of places like Diamond Head and Manoa Falls and then having to come back home to grubby old Edmonton?
  • In an effort to make myself feel a better, I did a little baking therapy and shared a recipe for Blueberry Banana Breakfast Muffins before deciding that the only way to cure the post-vacation blues was to take another vacation. Enter a weekend snowboarding trip to the mountains.
  • Feeling refreshed, I came back and advocated living a life without numbers, before opening up about the girl I used to be in the depths of my eating disorder, and contrasting that with the girl I am now.
Manoa Falls Rainforest
Rockies

Overall, March was a pretty epic month. Here’s hoping that April will follow suit!

Was that post epically long or what? Oops… :oops:
Canadians: What are some products you see on blogs that you wish we could get here?
What’s something awesome that happened in March?
AND!! SOS! My mom’s birthday is coming up in a couple of days… any suggestions on what I can get her?!

1 Cori @ olivetorun April 2, 2013 at 7:08 am

LOVE the Jesus Calling book, it’s such a great way to set the tone for the day :)
Also, I’m not sure there is an ESSSIE color that I don’t like. <3
Cori @ olivetorun recently posted..Brown-Es, Beards and ImpulsesMy Profile

2 Khushboo April 2, 2013 at 7:10 am

Hahah Great prank on your momma :-)! A friend & I got another one of our friends so good with a fake email account- I don’t think we’ve cried so hard from laughter before! I absolutely love those polish colors- they’re so fun! What about a spa voucher for your mom? Spas are one of those indulgences which seem overly expensive to justify purchasing, which makes receiving a voucher so much more pleasant! And of course a hefty stash of chocolate would probably go down well :-)!
Khushboo recently posted..Bringing back old favoritesMy Profile

3 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I was thinking about a spa voucher! I’ve asked her if she’d like one a few years in the past, and she always said she wasn’t really into that kind of thing, but I’m pretty sure that’s only because she has no idea what she’s missing out on. I mean, who doesn’t like to be pampered?!

4 Sarah @PickyRunner April 2, 2013 at 7:16 am

Haha you must be quite the prankster! I made it through the whole day without falling for any and then I got a text late last night from a friend who got me really good. Oh well, win some lose some. I did almost convince my coach that our entire team was quitting track. Just kidding, he didn’t believe me. I’m not a very good liar.
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Rants and RamblesMy Profile

5 Lisa April 2, 2013 at 7:18 am

Twins, I just did my monthly favorites today too:)
Haha I love the prank you pulled, I didn’t do anything too daring for pranks, I’m always paranoid people will play tricks on me though.
Your polish colors are the best! I had to travel to Nanaimo to find cute ones, for some reason Victoria gets the worst color options, I swear it’s weird.
I do like the OPI polishes though, they don’t seem to chip as much for me, but Essie colors are too cute.
Macadamia oil is a life savor…between that and argan oil they are both amazing.
I love that makeup setting spray too! Okay, let’s just say I like everything in your favorite :)
Lisa recently posted..March FavoritesMy Profile

6 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I like the OPI ones a lot better in terms of lasting power as well, but sometimes the colors that Essie comes out with just win me over.

7 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers April 2, 2013 at 7:31 am

Epic indeed, my friend. :) Pretty nail colors, BTW.

You’re the second person to recommend that devotional book. Perhaps I need to track down a copy!
Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers recently posted..It’s not all r&r over here…My Profile

8 Hollie April 2, 2013 at 7:31 am

The sad part for me is that I did slip and fall and proceed to break my arm on ice so I couldn’t pull that one off very well LOL. Glad to hear that you came out on top though as far as April Fools jokes went. :-)

The apple chips look really good. I’ve recently seen the Oiko’s new greek yogurts which I cannot wait to try.

I like the spring colored nail polish. I’m currently trying to find some pretty colors for my nails. I believe I said I was going to buy the pink you posted either yesterday or the day before…I still plan too at Target when I go this weekend.
Hollie recently posted..Spring Forward 15k (1:04.15)My Profile

9 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:35 pm

!!! You seriously broke your arm? Nooo… See, now I’m all paranoid that someone is trying to play jokes on me, but… you’re okay, right? :shock:

10 Hollie April 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Lol-it happened last winter. It healed and I’m okay now :-)
Hollie recently posted..Spring Forward 15k (1:04.15)My Profile

11 Lucie April 2, 2013 at 7:33 am

Gosh, I am SO jealous on that Oikos Yogurt!! It looks so good an I bet it tastes just as!! My March highlight was definitely the trip to Berlin, it was wonderful! Speaking of Mom, here are my ideas and things I use to give to my Mom:
Wellness Voucher (to enjoy together) – same with movies, a dinner out, or a hiking day….
A self baked Birthday Cake (my Mom freaks out about home made stuff)
An evening you cook for her
Gift Voucher of her favorite Beauty Shop or Book Shop

Have a lovely day girl!
Lucie recently posted..Tuesday Recipes – Back to Pumpkin LoveMy Profile

12 Carly @ Snack Therapy April 2, 2013 at 7:36 am

Congrats on your successful April Fools’ Day ;). I want that Oikos yogurt so badly. It looks like pudding!
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..Figuratively the Longest Day EverMy Profile

13 Rachel April 2, 2013 at 7:36 am

hahaha omg that prank on your Mom lol she must have been freaking out! The guy where I work got us good yesterday– pretended he fell and hurt himself lol then started laughing when we came to his aid lol I’m in loooove with Essie’s new color line.. I’m hoping to see them at my Ulta soon :D And I’ve totally seen that cereal at the store! Never thought to try it.. maybe I should :p
Rachel recently posted..Hoppy Easter!My Profile

14 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm

It’s great if you liked Cinnamon Toast Crunch! The only thing I noticed about it was that it had this strange, subtle mediciny taste because of the added vitamins, but it wasn’t really that noticeable.

15 Lauren April 2, 2013 at 7:41 am

I really wish I was more religious because I believe if I had something to read and believe in it would just kind of calm my mind. You can’t really make yourself be religious though which is the downfall. Oof. I’m a terrible Catholic. My face is super sensitive, too, and I use Cetaphil because all other products seem to have some sort of side effect on my face from pimples to black heads to flaky skin. Ew.

If your mom is a massage/spa kind of person, you could get a mother/daughter package deal so the two of you could spend a day together :-) They’re a bit pricey but definitely worth it. Otherwise, I would opt for something to do with mother daughter time because, really, it’s the best gift.
Lauren recently posted..Tuesday TangentsMy Profile

16 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Yeah the faith thing is a little tricky, and I even find myself struggling sometimes :? But I find that the more time I spend reading things like that devotional, the easier it becomes.

17 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 2, 2013 at 7:48 am

You have me thinking that I need to try that greens powder…probiotics didn’t help a hell of a lot for me and digestive enzymes are working ok, so I’m still trying to find my miracle digestive cure.
So many pretty Essie colours! I’m still loving my Turquoise & Caicos.

And I want the massive cereal selection that they get in the states…and Chobani. Two things I always come back with when I go to the States.
Winter is wrecking absolute havoc on my skin right now. Especially on my face – so.dry.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Goal Talk: April.My Profile

18 Miss Polkadot April 2, 2013 at 7:52 am

Wow, I didn’t think you’d be a girl playing such a mean trick on your mum ;). Unfortunately, April Fool’s day passes by like any other in my family and around my friends so I didn’t even fall for one. Okay, maybe I should consider that lucky but I should have thought of pranking somebody else.
One of my favourite moments/days in March was actually Easter weekend because I spent a great time at my parents’ – including a Disney movie and cake on a full-on rest day (!). Listening to my body felt good.
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Happy Easter with [un]successful cake experienceMy Profile

19 jen April 2, 2013 at 7:59 am

ahh you should buy the regular cinnamon toast crunch! i guess that’s a bit hypocritical of me as i haven’t like, ever probably (when i was little we weren’t allowed “sugary” cereals but i’d sometimes get them as a treat for birthday sleepovers…yet my best friend always had huge costco-like box so i’d have it every morning when i stayed there ;) ) BUT…i don’t think it’s too bad now, they recently made them whole grain i think lol. yet my taste buds have sort of changed and it might be too sweet now—is the cascadian one less sweet? i spend a long time talking about cereal :/ so yea this post isn’t too long, maybe it’s because i normally write the longest comments on people’s blogs :O anyway…hm oh well for things we don’t get here…just certain bars i like, lots of flavours aren’t here (like larabars/lunabars and we don’t get purebars which i like), and i guess certain brands of things. otherwise i don’t think it’s too bad. there are great things about canada, and alot of benefits that other countries don’t have, in my opinion ;P anyway, hope you have an amazing april xox

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Aside from the cold weather around these parts, I love being Canadian :) We do have a pretty good selection of products, and it seems to be getting a lot better – I remember a few years back it was super hard to find Greek yogurt in stores, and now it’s everywhere.

As for the Cascadian cereal, I’d say it’s a little bit less sweet than CTC, but it also has this suble mediciny aftertaste because of the added vitamins.

21 Caitlin April 2, 2013 at 8:03 am

Ahhh my mum’s is coming up too! I think I’m doing a mother/daughter mani/pedi date. As far as something awesome in march…i suppose joe coming home for good and running my first half were pretty good ;)
Caitlin recently posted..Little TalksMy Profile

22 Kat April 2, 2013 at 8:12 am

In highschool, I showed up to practice on crutches. My coach had a very concerned look on his face, and I told him I tore my ACL over the week playing soccer with some buddies. You should have seen his face!! He literally stumbled and blubbered through a sentence about being more careful and then I dropped the crutches and jumped on him to give him a hug. PRICELESS!! All my teammates were cracking up. So freaking hilarious :)
Kat recently posted..Weekend Recap – Bridal Shower + EasterMy Profile

23 Lift, Sleep, Eat April 2, 2013 at 8:12 am

Woo go you not getting caught out on any April Fools…I thankfully didn’t either..although my dad tried to play one on me by texting me pretending my local gym had had a fire and was shut.!! Luckily didn’t happen and I didn’t fall for it hehe :P.
Those apple cinnamon chips look amazinggg! And that Coconut Oikos..wow. Bet it tastes like heaven on that applesauce!
It depends what sorta stuff your mum likes but I made a hamper for my mum one year full of all her favourite little bits n bobs so nice bits of food, perfume, beauty stuff etc and then wrapped it all up a la hamper style..she loved it :)
Lift, Sleep, Eat recently posted..Low Carb Rollin’!My Profile

24 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm

That’s a really great idea! I was actually thinking of something along those lines – it’s just coming up with what to put in it that has been giving me some trouble.

25 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 2, 2013 at 8:25 am

I love the spring nail colors. They remind me of cotton candy colors. One thing I’ve been seeing alot of lately is liquid vanilla stevia drops. I would love to make an at home version of my favorite vanilla latte from Starbucks. Must go searching for this product…
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Things I’m Loving LatelyMy Profile

26 Missy April 2, 2013 at 8:31 am

Yes … love that devotional and get so happy every time I learn someone else has found it. She has two more and I recommend those, too. (0:
Missy recently posted..Guest Post (More like Kidnapped Post)My Profile

27 Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition April 2, 2013 at 8:40 am

Yayy for monthly favorites! I was victim of about a million pranks yesterday. On Kath Eat’s prank where she put sardines on oatmeal, I totally commented “thanks for the inspiration!” Embarrassing haha. I love that macadamia oil by the way. Have a lovely day!
Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition recently posted..Lunch Revolution and a Yawp! Bar Review!My Profile

28 Megan @ runningonjava April 2, 2013 at 8:58 am

I LOVE the Simple face wipes. I bought them the other day and they are the perfect lazy girl’s solution to face washing. Love them. You and my little sister would get along quite well based on your Essie collection. I wish I was patient enough to actually let my nails dry after I paint them…
Megan @ runningonjava recently posted..we are not the normalMy Profile

29 Steph April 2, 2013 at 9:06 am

I’d love a greater variety of gluten-free products! A bunch of american bloggers I follow post about all these great GF breads, English muffins and bagels, whereas the only one’s I’ve had an opportunity to try here have been sub-par at best.

I totally need to try that coconut Oikos – I’ve never been a huge fan of coconut per se, but I’m thinking I might actually love this. Also on my to-make list (most definitely inspired by you!): homemade apple sauce! I have a craving like none other now.. :)
Steph recently posted..Easter Monday MorningMy Profile

30 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm

It’s probably one of the things that I crave more than anything else, but be careful! It’s kind of crazy addicting.

31 Allison @ Life's a Bowl April 2, 2013 at 9:13 am

March was definitely marvelous to you – I may have been down in the Caribbean in January but Hawaii sounds awfully nice right about now… The winter blues have definitely put me in a funk and I’m more than ready for spring to spring itself :P
Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Marvelous Random FactsMy Profile

32 Amanda, RD- The Nutritionist Reviews April 2, 2013 at 9:25 am

I completely agree about both of those new products! I tried both this month too and loved them.
Amanda, RD- The Nutritionist Reviews recently posted..Dr. Bronner’s ReviewMy Profile

33 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 2, 2013 at 9:31 am

That is absolutely hilarious. I should have pulled a prank on my mom since she is so gullible, but I didn’t. Those apple chips have my name written allll over them!!

34 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness April 2, 2013 at 9:35 am

Love everything about this post! Those essie colors are so fun, perfect for spring! I’m still on the search for coconut oikos. That cinnamon cereal looks great too. I am cereal obsessed and still on the search for a great gluten free one!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Perfect Fit Protein MuffinsMy Profile

35 Megan April 2, 2013 at 9:36 am

I looove Jesus Calling! It lifts me up every single morning.

That hair stuff looks awesome too- I’ll have to check it out!

36 De @ Cooking for the Other Half April 2, 2013 at 10:10 am

This is such a fun post! Those apple chips look great!!!! And I need to get that hair stuff.
De @ Cooking for the Other Half recently posted..recharged: a post-cape entryMy Profile

37 Meg April 2, 2013 at 10:22 am

I LOVED your posts this month lady. Seriously. Your honesty is much needed.

You always tease me with your beauty faves and I need to stock up on nail polish – you seem like an Essie fanatic – what’s your all time fave color (or you can pick 3 ;) ) I wanna invest :P

Mucho Love! Happy APRIL!
Meg recently posted..Easter and a no poo updateMy Profile

38 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Favorite Essie color? Eep! That’s kind of a tough one. Alrighty. I’m going to go with Off the Shoulder (hot pink), Fiji (opaque baby pink), and Sugar Daddy (subtle natural pink).

39 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 2, 2013 at 10:35 am

Nice job on the April Fools joke! ;)

And don’t you just love the Cinnamon Crunch cereal? I used to LOVE Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but I feel much better about eating this organic, healthier version. I seriously think it tastes the same, too! It is definitely shout-out worthy on your blog :).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Green Chile Seitan CasseroleMy Profile

40 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 2, 2013 at 10:52 am

I need to find those apple chips. It’s getting so difficult to think of gift ideas for birthdays, christmas etc…last Christmas my grandparents and my mom/his mom got “pampering in a jar” – I filled mason jars with gourmet soaps, scrubs, nail polishes (that kinda stuff) and a spa gift card!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..My First Foodie Pen Pal Box!My Profile

41 Kim April 2, 2013 at 10:56 am

COCONUT GREEK YOGURT?! What CAVE have I been living in?!?! I must find this ASAP!

I’m also going to check out that devotional book – it looks good!
Kim recently posted..A New MonthMy Profile

42 Court Star @ StarSystemz April 2, 2013 at 10:57 am

I LOVE your beauty reviews :) I used to use the FX Mac setting spray but will try the Urban decay (huge fan of the 24/7 eyeliner) when I run out. I love the new Essie colors I had to stop myself from buying them all, I usually have my friends buy them and we just share nail polishes so we aren’t splurging on the entire collection. Hope your month rocks :) Love + Shine CourtStar

43 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 1:59 pm

That’s actually a great idea… I don’t think I’ve ever made it through an entire bottle of nail polish, so sharing them between friends would definitely save quite a bit of cash.

44 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) April 2, 2013 at 11:02 am

This post was epically fabulous, not long :) Great list of favorites!

Gift for your mom… does she collect anything? That’s always a good gift, to add to a collection.

45 Jess April 2, 2013 at 11:03 am

April 1st scares the crap out of me to be honest – it was the day everyone at school took as an opportunity to do something extra-horrible to me and usually they got away with it under the guise of it being an April Fool. So I’m jumpy as Hell every April 1st.

The UK is even worse than Canada for cool food products – we literally have perhaps 1/4 of the decent vegan products available in the USA. I mean, fine if you want to pay ridiculous amounts for shipping, but I don’t have a money tree in the back garden!

Happy Birthday to your Mum in advance :)

xxx

46 Brittany April 2, 2013 at 11:05 am

I LOVE that devotional book, I’ve seen it all over Lindsay’s IG and never knew what it was!! I will have to find myself a copy! Thank you for sharing!! Also, that April Fools joke..epic. I did not have ANY pulled on me, and I boringly didn’t pull any either haha. I MUST try this green powder, I am a sucker for green and green powders. I just love em!
Brittany recently posted..Early Morning ConfessionsMy Profile

47 Lisa April 2, 2013 at 11:15 am

Fabulous post. I am going to seek out that book. Thank you!

And can you expand on the taste of the greens powder? I want to love those green powders, I do, but I have never gotten past the taste. Blech.

48 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I really like the vanilla flavor – it’s sweet and doesn’t taste green or vitaminy at all. I actually find that it tastes better the less water you add to it, so sometimes I end up making more of a paste than a drink, but it adds a nice sweet flavor when you put it into smoothies. I dislike a lot of the green powders as well, but this one tastes really good :)

49 Courtney April 2, 2013 at 11:30 am

GREAT post! I need to try that yogurt. And those Simple wipes are great!
Courtney recently posted..Style Spotlight: Humble ChicMy Profile

50 Nicole April 2, 2013 at 11:35 am

I stay away from liquid foundation as much as possible… I just feel like no matter how light and silky it can be, it still must be terrible for your skin to clog your pores like that all day. So I go for a tinted moisturizer if I feel like I need to cover up — most days though, blush is all it takes because a healthy glow looks best! But I’ve never heard of that makeup setting spray… I’m intrigued.

I love shopping for my mom! Well, I love shopping for any female. It’s the brother and the father in my family that I hate shopping for because I never know what to get! If your mom is anything like mine, she’ll love flowers. I always try to find either a cute necklace or something she can have in the house like an angel figurine (Jim Shore does amazing stuff!).

51 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 2, 2013 at 11:53 am

My dad buys that Cascadian Farm Cinnamon Crunch cereal…ahhh it’s SO good. It tastes even better than Cinnamon Toast Crunch in my opinion. And I’m obsessed with all your nail polish!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..GF Hummingbird Cupcakes and a Non-RecipeMy Profile

52 Devon @ Health in Equilibrium April 2, 2013 at 11:54 am

My mom would have done the exact same thing! She worries way too much, I have had to start withholding information from her that I know she will take the wrong way. I reeeallly need to try that yogurt. I love coconut anything, but Oikos is hard to find sometimes.

As for what to get your mom… I really like getting my mum fun kitchen things. Decorative bowls, a pampered chef chopper and nice S&P shakers are a few of the things I have given her in the past. I also gave her a DVD boxed set of oscar best picture-winning musicals for Christmas. I don’t know if your mum is into musicals, but they have set of best picture films of other genres too.
Devon @ Health in Equilibrium recently posted..Playing Catch-UpMy Profile

53 kris April 2, 2013 at 12:03 pm

hahah ohh your poor momma!
I love those crispy apply chips! Sometimes I’ll add them to my salad and they add quiiite the nice crunch and sweetness. And I’ll definitely need to try the UD all nighter makeup setting spray! I always learn of so many neat things from your monthly favorites posts :)

Hmm, presents for my parents are always the hardest for me! I usually try to get my mom something that she needs but typically wouldn’t buy for herself and maybe some flowers that’ll last a while like orchids. Trips to the spa are nice too. I’m sure you’ll come up with something! I mean…you better, after that prank you pulled on her! jkjk ;)
kris recently posted..adventures in seattleMy Profile

54 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance April 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I’ve heard rave reviews about Jesus Calling– Now that I know you approve I’ll have to pick it up once I’m done with my current devotional. I love starting my day with a daily encouragement, It’s a great way to focus on what’s truly important!

55 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I really love it! It’s so simple and straightforward, but the messages really hit home and they always seem to be what I need to hear.

56 Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness April 2, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Your poor mom, after that prank she deserves a really great birthday present!! I have been looking for that coconut yogurt but cant find that flavor. I like getting my mom gardening tools and gift certificates to her favorite local garden store, she has the most beautiful garden and loves spending time outside working in it.
Nicole @ Fruit ‘N’ Fitness recently posted..Easy Baked Turkey MeatballsMy Profile

57 Amanda@maepress April 2, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I am curious, do you use those wipes to remove eye makeup? I am trying that mascara that you recommended and I can’t believe how hard it is to get off! I have heard that Sephora brand eye-makeup removers are pretty good too, but I haven’t tried them yet!
Amanda@maepress recently posted..What I ate Wednesday – where’s the green!My Profile

58 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm

No, I don’t usually use wipes to remove makeup because of all the tugging and pulling that’s involved. I’ve been using Philosophy’s Purity Made Simple facial cleanser to take my eye makeup off for a long time now and I swear by it. You can use it to take your face makeup off too, so it really cuts down on the amount of products you need to have around.

59 Amanda @ Run Principessa April 2, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Oh those nail polish colors are absolutely perfect. I need to get some of that on my nails so I can stare at spring all day. Even when it feels like winter. :)
Amanda @ Run Principessa recently posted..5 Spring Running SongsMy Profile

60 Alexis April 2, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Ah sounds like you had a great march!! I love those cascadian farms cinnamon crunch. It’s so good! And those nail colors are always perfect for spring time :)

I would say a mom and daughter day together!
Alexis recently posted..I never thoughtMy Profile

61 Picky Nicky April 2, 2013 at 1:40 pm

lol april fools was great this year :P I told my mom I got a tattoo and I also posted on facebook that my rabbit had babies and all my friends fell for it (Forgetting that my rabbit is a boy… and alone…. hahaha)
Picky Nicky recently posted..Happy Passover!My Profile

62 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Well done for not falling victim to any of those pranks, they were pretty cool though! :)
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..I {Heart} MarchMy Profile

63 lindsay April 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

okay this is my favorite blog i have read all day! I love that you are ready to share that Faith! God is good! You are sharing your journey and HIS strength! love it! and yay for Jesus Calling.
lindsay recently posted..MMAZ: Round 2&mdash; Two waysMy Profile

64 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Can’t even thank you enough for letting me know about it <3

65 Jo @ LivingMintGreen April 2, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I wish we had access to Trader Joes & more WFs! Product-wise – Chobani, the full GTs kombucha line, and Justins nut butters. Oh! And Kerrygold butter – I can’t find it anywhere.
What about getting your mom an “experience” gift? Like a mother/daughter date – tix to an event or for a spa treatment neither of you have tried, or something she wouldn’t normally do – ie. raindrop therapy or a Thai massage. (Have you ever tried raindrop therapy? It is so awesome)
Jo @ LivingMintGreen recently posted..Snapshot Sunday: Easter WeekendMy Profile

66 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I’ve never even heard of raindrop therapy! But it sounds interesting from what Google is telling me. A spa date is pretty much on the top of my list right now… either that or some sort of pampering package.

67 Leslie April 2, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I wish wish wish we had Trader Joe’s here in Canada! ;)
Beautiful post, as usual. I love the re-cap of favs this month. Question for you: What does the Greens powder taste like??

68 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm

It’s kind of hard to describe. It has a really sweet vanilla taste and doesn’t taste greeny or mediciny at all. That being said, I don’t really like it with too much water, so I have it as more of a paste or toss it into smoothies – it adds a nice sweetness.

69 Gina @ Health , Love, and Chocolate April 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I have never tried the greens plus powder but I love the bars always have a stash of them!

70 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 2, 2013 at 5:40 pm

You had a great month, especially with that trip to Hawaii!! Some things that I’ve bought my mom in the past are books, cookbooks, cooking stuff, jewelry, clothes, gardening stuff, plants and gift cards. We also did a cooking class together; which was really fun!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Happy National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day!!! (Peanut Butter and Jelly Breakfast Cake)My Profile

71 TJ April 2, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Your prank on your mom reminds me of an april fools I pulled on my mom when I was 16. I asked her if we could have a serious conversation and I told her she should probably sit down. Then I took a deep breath and I said, “Mom, I think I’m pregnant” She pretty much died (I mean I was always the “perfect kid” so I knew it would shock her). She totally believed me though. Literally five seconds after I said it I told her “April Fools” because I didn’t want her to have a heartattack…she was so mad.

What about a spa gift certificate, you could even go with her…nice excuse. OR get her a maid for a day to do some deep cleaning (the type of cleaning nobody wants to do).

72 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Oh that’s a great prank! It reminds me of something I did when I was younger too. I got a really good fake tattoo done and “accidentally” let my mom catch a glimpse of it. Needless to say, she freaked when she thought it was real, and I had to tell her it was fake pretty quick ’cause I was getting an earful :lol:

73 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 2, 2013 at 6:05 pm

You are a prankster!!! That was a good one. I’m not a prankster at all! I love the Jesus Calling book too!! I’m so glad it has been such a blessing to you!
I want all those Essie colors. So pretty!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..March FavoritesMy Profile

74 Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 2, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Thank you for all of these reviews and your thoughts on them! I’m most interested in the food supplement/mulitivitamin product. Some of those can taste real GROSS but they are good for you… however, I am not going to force myself to drink/eat something that tastes like mud/dirt/death/etc. just because it claims certain health benefits. But if you genuinely have noticed a difference, this is something I am going to consider trying!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Another Location For The DayMy Profile

75 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Definitely with you on not forcing it down! But this stuff actually tastes really good. I’m hoping it’s not just a Canadian thing, though! Since I know the company itself is Canadian based…

76 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 2, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I’m obsessed with that yogurt too! So heavenly! And I just saw that Liberte released a coconut flavoured 2% Greek yogurt too. Have you tried that one yet?

Oh man there are so many American products I wish we could get here… Barney Butter and chocolate Sunbutter cups (just like Reese’s Pieces – they are amazing!) are the two I can think of right now, but I know there are so many others.
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Easter weekend highlightsMy Profile

77 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I haven’t tried the Liberte one, but I saw it the last time I was in the store and I’ll probably pick some up when I finish my Oikos ones.

78 Emily April 2, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I knew that you’d fall in love with the UD setting spray! I swear by it.

And I’m also obsessed with the Cascadia Farms Cinnamon Crunch cereal. I keep waiting for the day when I’ll get sick of it but I don’t see that happening anytime soon! Addicting little buggers…
Emily recently posted..a case for carbsMy Profile

79 Kate April 2, 2013 at 8:17 pm

such an awesome recap of the month. You totally got me hooked on those Bare Fruit apple chips – they are EXACTLY what I want from a chip, not gummy like most dried fruits are. THat green powder sounds pretty awesome too…Maybe I will order some and test it out, lord knows it sounds more fun than popping multivitamin pills! I might have to get on that hair mask too….winter in Colorado has made my hair a bit straw-like! not okay. And thank you for including the devotional! I’ve honestly been thinking about getting one lately, but I’ve had no idea where to start or what to look for…this sounds perfect for what I need though!

80 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 2, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Yes! If you were looking for a good devotional then I can’t recommend this one enough! The messages are simple yet so profound, and almost always exactly what I need to hear.

81 C April 2, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Amanda, I just discovered your blog after being home sick for the last 48 hours, and I’ve pretty much gone through all your posts. You are a wonderful writer, and my new favorite blogger. Your food looks delicious, your writing is so open, and you seem like such a genuinely awesome person. Thanks for putting all this together for us readers!

82 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Ahh, WAY too much to say! First, I’m in love with the Simple facial wipes as well. I actually discovered them two weeks ago, when my gym began offering free sample packets at the check-in counter. They’ve been there every day ever since, and because I manage to snag two or three every time I walk in the door, I now have a supply of oh, 20. I love freebies that are actually useful!

I’m really intrigued by the Greens + Multi. I’m guessing it’s not available in the U.S., since it’s a Canadian product, but I may try to find it online, as I’m open to testing anything that will help calm my stomach. I’ve been taking a probiotic, which has helped quite a bit, but the additional benefit of this powder sound wonderful!

I never knew Cascadian Farm makes a Cinnamon Toast Crunch copycat! I’ll be on the lookout next time I’m at Whole Foods. And girl, you continue to tease with that darn delicious-sounding coconut Oikos yogurt! Now paired with crunchy apple chips? Gaahhh. Want!

I’m so glad to hear you’re enjoying Jesus Calling. I received a copy for Christmas, but haven’t opened it yet. :)

83 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I am loving so many of your favorites! I am a long time fan of Essie’s Figi and I love the Cascadian Farms cinnamon cereal- it is so good. The green powder and hair mask sound like great products I would love too, thanks for sharing!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Shiitake, Basil and Lemon Cauliflower PizzaMy Profile

84 Shreya @ rushofendorphins April 3, 2013 at 1:08 am

My mom told me once she pranked a family friend on April fools saying her dad had fallen really sick (he was actually out of town). Turns out the worried and panicking friend travelled quite a distance to see her father only to realise it was a joke. Needless to say that was her last prank ;) I never dared trying anything like that after that story! Haha!
Shreya @ rushofendorphins recently posted..WIAW #16 and things I’ll miss in MelbourneMy Profile

85 Emily @ Hungry Delights April 7, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I adore UD makeup setting spray that stuff is a godsend. It really does live up to its name and it is pretty affordable too :)
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..Photos at the Park ~ Our WeddingMy Profile

86 Trudy April 16, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I’m trying to catch up on all my blogs! But I really liked this post :D Love favorites posts.

I’m so over this snow here in Calgary though – boo! Bet it’s been worse in Edmonton! haha

What products do I wish I could get a hold of?
Basically ANYHING from Trader Joes/Target…
I don’t know about Edmonton…but we’re getting Target soon :D
Probably won’t be as good though, but we’ll see!

I want to try that powder now though!!
Trudy recently posted..A George filled post, full of…George!My Profile

87 Vijay @ Daily women tips January 11, 2014 at 1:31 am

I really liked this post! I love the apple chips and Cascadian Farm Cinnamon Crunch cereal.
Vijay @ Daily women tips recently posted..Is gifting in office ethically correct?My Profile

88 california pizza kitchen delivery April 25, 2014 at 3:00 am

This way you will not wind up with a product
you’ll regret purchasing later. Typically cooler and more neutral tones with a jolt of color adds some added drama
to the space. The traditional kitchen uses soft colors that can complement the wood color of the cabinets and counters.
california pizza kitchen delivery recently posted..california pizza kitchen deliveryMy Profile

89 Google May 18, 2014 at 1:54 am

We stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I may as well check things out.

I like what I see so i am just following you.
Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.
Google recently posted..GoogleMy Profile

90 when do women get pregnant May 31, 2014 at 9:56 am

Hi there friends, nice piece of writing and nice
urging commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by these.
when do women get pregnant recently posted..when do women get pregnantMy Profile

91 artistic photography south africa June 10, 2014 at 12:05 am

Its such as you read my thoughts! You appear to understand a
lot about this, such as you wrote the ebook in it or something.
I believe that you could do with a few percent to
power the message home a bit, however instead of that, that
is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.
artistic photography south africa recently posted..artistic photography south africaMy Profile

92 vcp 310 August 1, 2014 at 2:35 am

In 2005 Google designed and activgated a program called nofollow,
a program designed to allow webmasters and bloggers
to create links that Page – Rank is ignored. Increased distribution of client content via the Internet to a new and growing
list of social networking websites has created a significant growth in demand for nline content with a resulting
requirement that busnesses adapt their conten distribution strategy to
fit this neww paradigm. Google Chrome has many novel and impressive features and one
of them is the ability to use multiple search engines or search different websites riight from the address bar.
vcp 310 recently posted..vcp 310My Profile

93 tani serwer vpn connection August 26, 2014 at 1:34 am

They usse artwork and fonts that are vailable οn cartridges.

Аs he is alsо the Presdent of tthe Japan Origami Airplane Association, ɦe
appparently decided to make a run at 27. Ƭo mɑke a success ߋut oof your neԝ and improved paper airplane design, սse a thin, tightly
twisted ɑnd powerful rubber band.
tani serwer vpn connection recently posted..tani serwer vpn connectionMy Profile

94 http://Www.bemodels.pl/profil/kamil98 September 2, 2014 at 4:01 am

They use artwork and fonts that are available on cartridges.

If your paper airplane doesn’t go very far or very fast,
just keep practicing until it does. The more recent variations of this
recreation include way more missions and objectives.
http://Www.bemodels.pl/profil/kamil98 recently posted..http://Www.bemodels.pl/profil/kamil98My Profile