Happy #thinkingoutloud Thursday! No idea what I’m going on about? Click here!
1. Hello, hello! Firstly and foremostly, I want to apologize if you’ve had any issues accessing Spoons in the last handful of days. I’m still not 100% sure what the issue was for the super slow load times and timeouts, but I think it was a plugin causing a tonne of errors in my coding and creating a bottleneck on my server. Yeah, I don’t really get it either. BUT! I deleted the plugin and that seems to have helped for the most part, so fingers crossed that that was the actual problem. And the most frustrating thing is that I’ve had that plugin for almost a year without ever having any issues, and then it just randomly started acting up in the last few weeks even though I didn’t change anything. Logic. I like it.
2. On that note, have you ever noticed that the more time you have, the less you get done? Like… I ended up having a tonne of free time this past weekend since working on the blog just felt painful, so I figured I’d get ahead with some recipe testing… which was a great idea in theory, but not so much in execution. See, I did that thing where I was like: “oh, I have a tonne of time – I’ll just chill for a little while longer and get it done later.” Only later kept turning into later and all of a sudden it was tomorrow. But then if I know I only have 30 minutes to squeeze in a recipe during a crazy day, it gets DONE. Life. I win at it.
3. BUT! I did manage to take care of a bunch of errands, which included a trek to Costco to pick up some essentials. And by essentials I mean cinnamon. I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but not all cinnamons are created equal. There’s good cinnamon, and then there’s cinnamon that tastes like sawdust with an alcohol-y cinnamon flavour. Not that I know exactly what sawdust tastes like, but it’s how I imagine it would taste from the smells at the hardware store. And the Costco cinnamon, in case you’re wondering, is good cinnamon. Highly recommend.
4. Speaking of Costco. You know the dates I get there? These one here?
I actually like to leave them sitting around with the bag wide open so that they dry out a little. I mean, they don’t get dry dry, but I find they get a little harder and chewier… which I like way better than when they’re too moist and meaty. Sorry for that lovely mental picture, but it’s the best way I could describe it. Or maybe plump and juicy would have been a better choice. Anyways, another option is to just stick them in the freezer so they’re not so gloopy.
5. And I’m not sure if I actually picked this next thing up at Costco, but I got this hydrogen peroxide contact cleaner a while back and I’ve been afraid to use it 😂 My eye doctor actually recommended it years ago, but I dunno… all the fizzing and reacting? I’m afraid I’m going to burn out my eyeballs. Am I being crazy? Does anyone use it regularly for soft multi-use contacts?
6. In other shopping news, I’ve made no progress on my goal to start my Christmas shopping early this year. None. Granted, October feels a little too early to start, but that didn’t stop me from picking up an ornament for my own tree 😂 His name is Cornelius, and I think he’ll fit my woodland critter theme quite nicely..
7. And yes, I really did look at Christmas decorations 5 days before Halloween, but I mean… the stores make it so easy.
8. Alright, friendly faces. That’s it for me this week. See you Saturday!
No questions! Just tell me whatever randomness comes to mind!
More places to find me!
E-mail — [email protected]
Twitter — runwithspoons
Facebook — runningwithspoons
Pinterest — runwithspoons
Instagram — runwithspoons
Bloglovin — runningwithspoons
Snapchat — runningspoons
I have never eaten dates before reading this post. In Costco yesterday, I picked up the same kind and ohhh myy….
I cannot believe Ive been missing out on these treats! One serving of a 1/4 cup does not make sense! Especially good dipped in almond butter, haha 🙂 I have a new addiction. Thanks Amanda!!!
Arman @ thebigmansworld
I think our first video should be you doing the cinnamon challenge with that…tub. BEST EVER.
You are so odd with your dates.
Daisy @ Fit Wanderlust Runner
I had about a week off and I did pretty much nothing! It was nice at the beginning but then I hated that I wasted my time.
Costco cinnamon is the best! Gah I miss it so much… Maybe one day Costco will work its way over to Western Australia.
Also thank you for your tip about dates in the freezer. Done it for months now and wouldn’t keep them anywhere else now!
Cornelius Is an aweseome name btw. Reminds me of Professor Cornelius Brown from Bedknobs and Broomsticks – awesome movie!
I agree with all the comments above about Clear Care. I used to get recurring infections and thought it was pink eye, but since starting on Clear Care several years ago it hasn’t ever happened again. I definitely recommend it! Just maybe keep a saline rinse around just in case you need to rinse your contacts off for some reason, because you sure don’t want to rinse with Clear Care right out of the bottle.
I heard that Vine is no longer a thing, so yeah. I just lost 15 minutes looking at post of people’s all time favorite post on Vine. Seriously funny stuff!
Ange // Cowgirl Runs
I LOVE Clear Care!
The tip is you HAVE to leave your contacts in the solution for at least 6 hours and then rinse with your regular saline.
You can send all your soft dates my way – I love them that way!
Yeah for early Christmas shopping. I always leave it too late. I want to do it early this year too.
And you’re right about getting less done when you have lots of time. They say if you want to get something done, give it to a busy person to do because busy people make time to accomplish things.
Jo @ Living Mint Green
I love drying my dates out too! Not to the point where they start to crysttalize, but moreso to make them a little chewier & meatier. I’m also SO HAPPY Costco has medjool dates again! Those honey ones are alright but they’re not as good. 🙁
Oh my gosh – I do that all the time. If I wake up early I think I can have a nice relaxing morning and get a few little chores done before I need to leave and then all of a sudden I’m like 10 minutes late. But mornings I wake up late it’s quick and out the door.
Yes, I use that contact solution. My eye doctor recommended it to me too. I was scared but it doesn’t sting at all – though I do use regular solution to rinse it off before putting it in my eye. One night my husband used it to rinse his contacts and then came up to me with his eyes running so bad and were red and puffy and I’m like ‘didn’t you see all the RED caution warnings all over the bottle?!’
I’m still in Halloween and pumpkin mode but I see gingerbread making an appearance! I tried to link to your TOL as I am a brand new blogger but I can’t even figure that out…not sure I am going to be very successful LOL. I don’t know how to copy my permalink? 🙁
Some stores already have their Xmas stuff out – but some have the boxes on the shelves ready to go. too soon!
Erin @ Erin's Inside Job
Girl you know I go a step further and dehydrate my dates bc I cant stand them squishy or soft at all. They’re so much better when they’re tough and chewy and covered in nut butter!
Cornelius is adorable and I approve of his name.
I need to start Christmas shopping too except I have no funds and very little time so there’s that. Normally I would have started months ago.
It took like a year but I finally ran out of my Costco cinnamon. Time to restock.
hahaaaaa I love this title so hard. I swear coming up with that wonderful headline can make my head hurt
Jessie @ Just Jessie
Oh noooooooo, Christmas shopping! I hadn’t even started thinking about that!!
YAY For Christmas decorations! We still have fall ones up, but we usually put Christmas ones up after Thanksgiving. However, I don’t think there’s any law about not getting them before Christmas. :o)
I had to smile about your description of the dates. Moist and meaty is definitely a good contrast to the dryer texture. 🙂 And I am totally like you when it comes to time. If I’m pressed for it, I do a lot, but if I have all day, I dilly dally doing other things. 😀
Jen Rawson, RD (@PrettyLilGrub)
I completely agree about having too much time and getting nothing done. I work way better under pressure.
And I do the same with the dates. I don’t like them fresh they’re too soft.
I use clear care! You have to be very careful to let the contacts sit in the solution for at least 6 hours for the solution to deactivate. One early morning, I accidentally used it instead of my saline solution to rinse my contacts before wearing. I was in horrible pain and my eye was red and swollen for 2 days. Just be sure to use it correctly!
Im the same way with time. Yesterday I had all these plans to make recipes and work on the blog after I got done with my evening spin session. I finished at 6, showered and was ready to work at 6:30, but then I sat on the couch with my phone and got lost in it [and the World Series] till 8. Oops.
Sam @ Grapefruit & Granole
Re: cinnamon- I feel the same way about olive oil. Can’t go pick up just any bottle. I really like the Trader Joe’s kind.
I am also the same way about time management, esp at work. If I’m not busy then I waste SO much time and sometimes have to stay late. If I’m super busy then I’m good about staying on a schedule.
Rachel @ athleticavocado
Oh my gosh saigon cinnamon is my favorite thing ever. Every time I go to costco I buy at least five jars and I’m being completely serous lol. It’s only like 2 dollars per jar and the cinnamon CANNOT compare any where else. It’s life changing!
I HAVE noticed the cinnamon debacle. And it’s recent. It was never like that before!!
I also do less with more time. Sigh… lol.
Annnnnd, not to be a nuisance but I can’t link up this week again. 🙁 I submitted my link anyway.
Omg my little sister uses that contact solution and one time I use it but with my regular case and i seriously thought my eyes were going to burn out of my head when I put my contacts in- so painful. So yeah make sure you use that special case to store them, but on a more positive note she loves it!
Patricia @Sweet and Strong
I was in Michaels the other day and they were playing Christmas music, I couldn’t believe it! But I am very excited for the holidays as always, but it still feels like we shouldn’t start getting ready until At LEAST after Halloween.
Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
I can’t even believe Christmas is so close! I have no idea what to give anyone. I may just end up wrapping a bunch of cookies because after major surgery shopping is the last thing I feel like doing and I only started walking a few days ago.
Jess @ Keeping It Real Food
I’d love to hear your thoughts about that lens cleaner. I have so much trouble with my eyes/lenses getting irritated and that’s probably the one kind of lens cleaner I haven’t tried. I love my glasses, but I miss peripheral vision sometimes : (
As a procrastinator free time does not work in my favor.i totally feel you on that one.
We bought our first Christmas gift yesterday. It felt strangely early but I know I’ll be happy come December.
michele @ paleorunningmomma
Agree with Meredith that the holidays are 100% better when hanukkah and christmas are together! And those days when time is tight? Yes, that’s me every day and I think that’s how I get recipes in! There’s often a 1.5 hr block to make + photograph!
Susie @ SuzLyfe
We are on such the same page today. When you read my post you know how and why! But YES to too much time leading to a lack of productivity! I’m like… 3 hours… nope, I’ll just sit here.
I TOTALLY get the more time/less done thing. Although I’ve gone back to hand written to do lists, but then sometimes it upsets me if I don’t get to everything on the list. But like I wrote today, if it’s not on the list . . . I just need a little downtime from the craziness of the last couple of months. There’s still a lot to do with/for my parents.
How bizarre that a plugin randomly decided to act up. How frustrating!
meredith @ cookie chrunicles
the exciting thing about the holidays this year for us is that Hanukkah starts on Christmas eve! super late for us this year but makes the holiday season so much more fun.
I’m exactly the same when it come to productivity! The less I have to do, the longer it takes me to do it.
Love Cornelius! So cute!
Those pesky plugins! I am afraid of my next couple Costco shopping trips because I have quite the list that I want to get, which also includes cinnamon (almond milk, almond butter, eggs, fish burgers, frozen berries, water…etc etc)
I use that hydrogen peroxide cleaner– no issues for me, but all of the fizzing was intimidating at first.
I’ve definitely experienced the whole more time = less productivity thing. I always have such noble intentions for my free time… oh well. 😉