1. Guys! Remember how last week I complained about my nail polish always chipping ridiculously fast? I think I may have stumbled upon a pretty good solution that doesn’t involve a trip to the the nail salon. Now, I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I’ve been wearing this polish (Revlon Colorstay in Wild Strawberry)…
… for about four days now, and lookit!
Not a chip in sight! And I’ve been putting my nails through some pretty hardcore cleaning/dish washing duties, too. Not bad, eh?
2. And yes, I’m one of those stereotypical Canadian that says “eh?” I do not, however, commute by dog sled (although I probably could with all the snow we’ve been getting), live in an igloo, or enjoy poutine. Maple syrup, on the other hand, I could probably drink straight from the bottle. Not that I’ve tried it before or anything…
3. I went to the store to pick up some toothpaste the other day and came home with this…
Apparently I decided I was running low on some staples. Don’t judge me. Luckily I remembered to actually buy the toothpaste too. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve gone to the store with a specific purchase in mind and left with everything but what I had originally intended to buy. Apparently I’m easily distracted.
4. I probably would have done well to add some new socks to my list of impulse buys too…
Again, don’t judge me – all the good ones were dirty! And don’t act like your socks are better! I don’t believe you.
5. I also don’t believe that replacing the cinnamon in my yogurt messes with cumin would be a good idea. I was making myself a yogurt bowl the other day when I accidentally grabbed the wrong jar of spices…
Luckily I noticed my mistake in the nick of time. I’m all for experimenting with strange food combinations and all, but that’s pushing it a little far, even for me.
6. This may be TMI, but I’m no longer a Healthy Bites virgin! And wow does that sound wildly inappropriate. Nevermind. The point is, these custom cherry vanilla protein bites that Lindsay made for me are out of this world delicious and I highly recommend ordering a batch for yourself. Lindsay is the sweetest person ever to work with, and she’ll make sure to cater to any allergy/dietary needs that you might have.
7. Oh man. Please tell me you guys watched The Land Before Time when you were growing up? And All Dogs Go To Heaven. And The Last Unicorn. And Balto… Childhood nostalgia, right there…
8. This week’s song obsession issss… Oh Yeah! by Siiines. They’re actually a local Edmonton band that I recently came across and took a liking to. Note: video is slightly racy in parts.
9. I was sitting in Starbucks the other day, half listening to the barista call off the orders at the bar, when I noticed that about 90% of them were the skinny version. Now, I know that some of those fancy flavored drinks are pretty high in calories and sugar, but… to be honest… the chemicals and artificial sweeteners in those syrups skeeve the heck out of me. I’ll order a flavored drink every once in a while, but for the most part I keep it pretty simple with a normal latte or cappuccino.
10. Update on my encounter with weight-loss-guru barista: After giving it some thought, I decided to go back to the scene of the crime and talk to the manager about my experience. Not because what she said bothered me, but because I was worried that I wasn’t the only one she’d been giving her ‘advice’ to. I’m thankful to be in a place where comments like that make good blog posts and nothing more, but had that been said to me when I was deeper in my ED, I know it would have resulted in some not-so-pleasant emotional/mental/physical backlash.
Turns out, several other customers complained about her as well and she’s been ‘spoken to.’ Serves her right, I guess? I hope she learns something from it…
. – . – . – .
Do you have a problem with… err… impulse buying?
Have you seen The Land Before Time? What are some of your other favorite childhood movies?
Do you order skinny drinks at Starbucks?
As somebody currently beginning recovery from an eating disorder, I am finding ordering “skinny” drinks to be a good first step for me, but I am greatly looking forward to the day when I can order the real deal and not have a panic attack!
Amanda @ .running with spoons.
That’s a great first step, Erin! I started out with things that felt safer to me as well, and I can promise you that it does get easier over time 🙂
Irina @ Chocolatea Time
The Land Before Time is one of my all-time favorite movies! Oh my goodness I love love loved it as a child and I wouldn’t mind watching all the movies over again in marathon mode. I’m also glad that you decided to talk to the manager about the barista’s comment. Hopefully it will prevent her from saying anything that could impact someone in a negative way.
One day I added cinnamon instead of cumin into my chili. Yes, I still ate it and yes it was…odd tasting. No food goes to waste though!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables
Love the nails! So jealous over your healthy bites… AND I’m so glad you went and spoke to the manager about that girl. It still gets me all fired up!
We are on the same wave length. I rarely do my nails, msotly becaus ei can’t sit still long enough for them to dry, so I use the quick dry stuff that only lasts, maybeee 24 hours. Quick tip? Try swiping a stripe across the edge of your nail tips to help avoid chipping there. The worst part is trying to get nail polish off though. I’m so bad at that! The nail dip jars are the best! Not for toes though :/ and despite the holes, your toes look great! 😉
I also can never just one thing in the grocery store, and I once switched cinnamon with cumin and it was nasty, and I was sad. Hate wasting food because I rush and am disorganized. My spice cabinet is atrocious.
I LOVED the Land Before Time as a kid, but only the first one, and All Dogs Go to Heaven. And the Brave Little Toaster! I also loved live action movies like Annie, and the Wizard of Oz. And some outliers like Pippy Longstocking, Milo and Otis, and OH! The worst witch with Fariuza Balk from The Craft, and Tim Curry, and the old lady from The Facts of Life? No one probably knows what I’m tlaking about, but if you had Disney as a child, this played around Halloween, and was absolutely 80s-Amazing. 😀
Good for you for speaking up to the manager! You were watching out for others for sure and that problem was definitely worth addressing! Good for you girl!
Sara @my less serious life
good for you for going back and saying something to that barista – or to the manage. i hope she learned her lesson!
That totally happens to me, too! I go in for a random thing, and end up with groceries haha. Love that polish!
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie
Oh gosh, I am horrible with the impulse buys! I always go to the store with a list but I leave with way more than I planned on buying–good for me trying out new things, but bad for my wallet. I’m going shopping this weekend and I’m going to try my hardest to stick with the list but I’m not holding my breath 😉
I really wish Starbucks would offer more natural syrups because I like the flavored drinks but I’m moving away from getting them because I know the sugar-free ones are filled with chemicals. Even though I don’t go to Starbucks regularly and the stuff in their syrups isn’t in my diet otherwise, it still is kinda scary to think about what all those artificial sweeteners can do. Though I have to admit I’m a hardcore sugar free gum lover!
I am so glad you went back and spoke to the manager!! Starbucks is such a reputable company I am surprised she still has a job with other complaints under her belt. I loveee movies from my childhood, heck yes I have seen Land Before Time. I used to legit want to eat a tree star. I never ever everrr get skinny drinks, I actually just get black coffee or tea, I am crazy boring.
Amanda @ .running with spoons.
You, my dear, are anything but boring 😉
NO WAY about the Starbucks Barista….dude that was ballsy of you to speak up about it and, um….what a bitch!!! Lol! NOT the server’s place to judge a customer for what they order, EVER – I’ve been a barista and a waitress before and that is just so inappropriate.
Anyway AHHH CHILDHOOD MOVIES!! Balto, Last Unicorn, Land Before Time….some of my favorites. I wish I had my copies with me right now! And I’m totally gonna have to pick up some of that brand of nail polish, cuz mine chips constantly too – just painted them last night with Essie’s “Mademoiselle” and they’re already ruined 🙁 but there’s hope!
Amanda @ .running with spoons.
It’s super depressing, but I find that Essie tends to be the absolute worst when it comes to chipping… most of the time it barely lasts a day. OPI lasts longer, and this Revlon one actually surprised the heck out of me…
Liz @ iheartvegetables
Hahaha my socks always get holes in them too. No judgement 😉 And I need that nail polish!
Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living
Just ask the girls at Forever XII if I have an impulse buying addiction. Hint: YES!!
4 days looks awesome! I’ll definitely need to start upgrading to better nail polish… or repaint every 4 hours haha.
[email protected] Life Is Sparkling
That’s awesome that you went back and said something! I would never have the courage to do so.
Good for you for talking to the manager! The fact that other people have complained tells you that it’s pretty bad, since Canadians are so nice and polite and all (another Canadian stereotype alert!).
That song was really good 🙂 If you like them you’d probably like Arcade Fire check them out too!
Matt @ The Athlete's Plate
#3 is the reason I only go shopping once a week! It’s cheaper to just use what I have until the weekend.
Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes
I’ve totally done that with Cumin and Cinnamon!!!!! Terrible, terrible experience.
Amanda @ .running with spoons.
I can imagine. I’m thinking that I should maybe make my cinnamon shaker look a lot more distinct…
Lindsay @ Conscious Cravings
That seriously happened to me the other day when I went to the grocery store. I told myself I just needed to get some toilet paper and I came home with two baskets of stuff that I probably didn’t need. My roommate just laughed when I walked in the door. At least I remembered the toilet paper!
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin
Good for you for going to talk to the manager! I hope that puts an end to that girl’s “advice”.
I’m not much of an impulse buyer at the mall, but when it comes to groceries, I almost always throw something extra in my cart. There’s always some new product I want to try or some craving I get while at the grocery store. 😛
I’ve seen The Land Before Time, but I remember it kind of scared me as a kid for some reason… my favourite childhood movies were The Little Giants, It Takes Two, and Richie Rich!
My Starbucks orders are all over the place. Sometimes I get tea, sometimes coffee, sometimes plain lattes, sometimes skinny lattes, and sometimes regular lattes when skinny versions don’t exist, like pumpkin spice and chai. I figure chemicals every once in a while aren’t going to kill me. 😉
Haley @ The Saucy Apple
Okay, so I totally watched all those movies as a kid… only once. The thing is, I don’t like sad movies, and All Dogs Go to Heaven is pretty much the saddest movie ever. No really, EV-ER. TLBT is right up there with it, too. But I think I watched that a few times because I loved Duckie so much. Anywho:
-Awesome nail color!
-I go to the store with a list usually, so my impulse-buying is limited. But if I don’t go with a list, all bets are off.
-And I don’t drink coffee, so I rarely visit a Starbucks. But I totally agree about ordering “skinny” things on a menu… any type of menu, really. Skinny doesn’t usually = Healthy.
Amen to the love of maple syrup!! And your socks don’t have holes, they have breathing ports. Your toes need to breathe too!
I watched the first three Land Before Time movies for sure, maybe the fourth and fifth as well ..? But the fact that they ended up doing 15 or 16 of them?! Ridiculous. Should have just made a TV show …
I’m glad that you went and spoke to the manager, if only for your peace of mind. I don’t order skinny drinks at Starbucks … if I’m getting a fancy drink, I’m going all out. 😉
Amanda @ .running with spoons.
You’re a horrible enabler to my bad habits! And yeah… I’ve probably seen the first 3 before giving up – it just got ridiculous after that.
Hello! I don’t have impulse buys so much as things I tell myself I WON’T buy (like a jar of crunch peanut butter when I still have 3/4 of another jar at home) and then somehow end up with it in the cart. I blame my inner conscious.
I LOVED Land Before Time and Balto when I was younger! (still do!) The Last Unicorn was a film I saw at my grandma’s house when I was 7 or 8 and I remember thinking how magical the film was. And I was also obsessed with the theme song..
I don’t drink skinny drinks at Starbucks. Then again, I don’t go to Starbucks 🙂