Happy #thinkingoutloud Thursday! No idea what I’m going on about? Click here!
1. Not to be the bearer of bad news or anything, but has anyone else noticed the days getting way shorter? It used to still be pretty bright until about 10:30 or so, and now it’s pitch black by 8pm. And while I realize that I wake up unspeakably early (read: 4:30 – 5am), I was waking up to the sun already peaking through my windows just a little while back, and now… not so much. I don’t hate it (yet), but it’s definitely been a little harder to leave my warm and comfy bed in the morning.
2. And speaking of waking up unspeakably early (err, what?!), I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that my body maxes out at around 5-6 hours of sleep. Remember how I told you that I was going to sleep later and it was actually helping me sleep better (i.e. falling asleep faster, sleeping through the entire night, not waking up at the crack of dawn)? I figured I’d try to go to sleep a little earlier the other day (10:30), and woke up ready to jump out of bed at 3:45am. Let’s just say the day is very long when it starts before 4… and you end up eating lunch somewhere around 10.
3. But you know what’s awesome around this time of the year? Coffee shops. I mean, they’re awesome year round, obviously, but there’s just something extra comforting about sitting in a warm coffee shop when it’s dark, cold, and rainy outside. I don’t think I set foot into Starbucks all summer, but I’ve been in there pretty much every day over the last week or so…
4. … because it’s been raining on and off for pretty much the entire week, which made me realize one very important thing — I don’t own an umbrella. Or rubber boots. Or a real rain coat. But in my defense, we don’t get much rain over in these parts and I don’t really mind getting wet, so I probably wouldn’t use any rain gear even if I had it. I also don’t own an iron. Or needle and thread. Clearly I’m winning at this life thing… #ornot.
5. But I’d rock the socks off any trivia game!
1. And here I am complaining that my size 9’s never look as cute as the size 6’s. I’m guessing no shoes look good at size 879.
2. … because I really need to talk to myself even more than I already do.
3. Truth. I’d go as far as to say it’s easier to share things with complete strangers online than it is with friends, seeing as I’ve blogged about things that I’ve never even told my RL friends.
4. One? Try at least 75% of my playlist. I think I need some new music.
5. … because poisoned paper cuts aren’t creepy at all 😯
6. Anyone else fall in love with running just a little bit more in the fall? This is the first year in a long while where I’ve actually been running for a good chunk of time prior to fall hitting, but a lot of years past saw me lacing up my running shoes for the first time as soon as the leaves started to turn. The perfect weather and gorgeous sights are just too hard to pass up, and I’m trying really hard not to think about the fact that it’s going to be -30 soon and I’ll be forced to do most of my runs on the treadmill. Eep.
7. Speaking of the treadmill… I’ve been using the gym in my building a few times a week to do some light strength training, and I’ve come to the conclusion that all of my neighbours must love country music. Why? Because whenever I happen to find myself in there with someone else, they always have the radio set to the country music station. I’m not sure if it’s just that no one knows how to change the station or what, but yeah… country music. Always.
8. On that note, I’ll admit that I don’t actually dislike country music as much as a lot of people seem to. It definitely isn’t my favourite genre to listen to, but I spent a good chunk of my younger years out in the sticks so it kind of grew on me. Heck, I’ve been known to rock out to country songs on multiple occasions. Don’t judge me.
9. So I finished reading Queen of Shadows, and it was just… okay. Not a bad read by any means, but not good enough to really suck me in and keep me up at night. Why? Too much boring filler. The book is 650 pages long, and I’d say that at least a third of that could be done away with. The first half of the book was super slow, and I found myself wanting to skip ahead on multiple occasions because I just didn’t care about what was happening. Pair that with the fact that the author really butchered some of the characters and relationships I loved, and yeah… it’s nothing to write home about. I’ll still read any future books in the series because I’m too invested in it at this point, but I really hope it takes a turn for the better.
10. Do not laugh at my fluffy sheep pyjamas. But do have an awesome Thursday! 😀
No questions… just tell me whatever comes to your mind! 😀
More places to find me!
E-mail — [email protected]
Twitter — runwithspoons
Facebook — runningwithspoons
Pinterest — runwithspoons
Instagram — runwithspoons
Bloglovin — runningwithspoons
Arman @ thebigmansworld
Okay, seriously. What is WITH the weather! I swear it’s so up and down lately. Over for you though…pouring like cray.
Also, that almond butter drizzle.
My life has been crazy hectic and I feel like I’ve missed out on so many of your posts lately! I just wanted to say that I would give anything for a rainy, cool, fall day about now! We are still in the high 80’s and yesterday my hubby got a major sunburn while working outdoors. Send the cool weather our way….PLEASE! On the flip side for you….how many days left until snowboarding season again?
Amanda @ .running with spoons.
Definitely sending some cooler weather your way! It’s actually supposed to go down to freezing tonight, which is a little early even for my tastes! But there’s only about 2 more months to get through before snowboarding starts, so I’m kind of getting excited 😀
I’ve been making a point to visit a coffeehouse by my work a morning a week to enjoy an almond milk chai latte and read my book. It has been glorious! And the darkness thing? Totally happened out of nowhere! It used to make mornings easy to head to CrossFit…not so much anymore…
Kelly @ LeanFit
The shorter days are making it hard to get out of bed lately and really messing with my running schedule. In the summer I could run outside anytime between 5am and almost 10pm and now I’ve had to resort to the treadmilll a few times. I ‘ve run up to a half marathon on the treadmill before but it’s hard to get back into.
I live near rainy Vancouver, BC so I can’t imagine not even having a rain coat!
Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous!! Now I want a peanut butter sandwich!!!
Shashi at RunninSrilankan
I’ve noticed the shorter days – and even though I’m not a fan – they do make me look forward to time falling back an hour! Gotta look for that silver lining right? 🙂
And just when I was starting to think we had something not in-common, you go say you don’t own an iron – GAH – my cousin tells me that I’m the only person in the world who doesn’t own one! Guess he’s wrong!!!
Happy Friday! xx
I am laughing at your fluffy sheep pajamas. Just kidding, I think they’re cute and probably the only non black thing you own.
I need to update my playlist too. It’s been like 4 years and I never even finished back then.
Thankfully we are still having some gorgeous weather over here, but the sun showing up late and checking out early is a very real thing. In fact, he doesn’t make a full appearance until 7:30 in the morning and he’s gone almost the same time every night. Insert a case of the sads here.
Kezia @ Super Naturally Healthy
I am no a massive runner but yes the autumn weather makes me want to run and be in the park – love it but also sad about dark days – booooo. Does mean its nearly the festive season though which I get insanely excited about!
Janelle @Wholly Healthy
Yes to Fall running! The slight chill in the air is super invigorating
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
So darn true that there is always one (or ten) songs on my playlist that I always skip but never want to delete for some reason. It’s like, I want to keep the variety but I actually don’t want to.
I was just thinking about how dark it was at 7 pm here! I was also thinking about how fall officially starts in 4 days? Unreal. I will be enjoying that crisp weather though!
Yes, it’s dark tragically early these days. I barely have time to get home, make dinner and I’m walking the dogs with a freaking flashlight. I think I’ll just hibernate in Starbucks until April.
Totally agreed on the coffee shop thing! So cozy when it’s cooler… and great for people watching 🙂
I love that photo of the trees and the sun peeking in through. I really need to update my music too. I just never find enough time. I have not been to Starbucks in a little while, but I did find my giftcard last weekend. So I think Saturday I will use it. I have to get 8 hours of sleep or I am evil all day. Thanks for sharing
Fall running is the best! I am just glad that it is now socially acceptable to drink hot coffee because all summer, everyone was all about the iced and I just couldn’t get on the bandwagon! I like it, but I prefer hot coffee so matter the outdoor temperature 🙂 That (peanut butter?) sandwich looks to die for. <3
I love fall running! Also, that PB sandwich looks super delicious. Have a great day 🙂
Sarah @ SarahRuns26
I would take rain for a week. We are still in 90+ degree days here (hopefully changing tomorrow!) so fall still doesn’t seem like it is here yet. I’m ok with it getting dark a bit earlier, but I don’t like it when it is dark when I leave work, then I don’t want to do anything but sleep when I get home!
Jo @ Living Mint Green
Omg yes, coffee shops in the fall are SO COZY. I love it.
I’ve been waking up at 430-5am lately too! I don’t know why. Shouldn’t we need more sleep as we get older? I’m finding that I’m maxing out around 6-7 hrs now.
Fall makes me crave Starbucks too. Vanilla Chai Latte.
Running and hot coffee are so much better in the fall! I am not digging the dark hours, but it’s a decent trade for cooler temps.
Victoria at Ice Packs + Races
Is that a grilled pb+j?! Oooohhh that looks good!
Daisy @ Fit Wanderlust Runner
I love fall running weather. It actually rained this week in San Diego. We desperately needed it too. Unfortunately I hear we are getting yet another heat wave this weekend! 🙁
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
These days are sad 🙁 So dark in the morning and dark at night. I want the sun up at 5:30-6am again!!!