These healthy Chocolate Lover’s Muffins are made without any butter or oil, but so tender and flavourful that you’d never be able to tell! Greek yogurt and applesauce help keep them moist, while a double dose of chocolate makes them taste super decadent. A healthy and delicious way to satisfy those chocolate cravings!
This week has unofficially become Chocolate Week here on Spoons.
And no, it has nothing to do with that one week in particular that us ladies have to deal with every month. Or maybe it does; who knows. Hormones are a crazy thing.
Either way! I have yet another delicious chocolate recipe to share with you guys today, only this time it comes in the form of muffins. Healthy chocolate lover’s muffins to be exact…
Basic? Sure. But everyone loves chocolate muffins, and as a result, everyone needs a healthy chocolate muffin recipe in their arsenal. Bonus points if it has double the chocolate.
I’m not sure if I ever told you guys this, but I use mini chocolate chips in just about 99.99% of the recipes I make… and it’s not only because they’re way cuter.
Maybe I’m a freak for noticing things like this, but I just find that the mini chips are SO much better at evenly distributing the chocolate flavour in whatever they happen to be in. Know what I mean? Like… instead of biting into a regular chocolate chip and getting hit with this huge burst of flavour, you’ve got a subtler but steadier supply of chocolate in every bite. It’s perfection.
ALSO! Mini chips stay put, which means when you sprinkle them on top of a muffin, they stay on top of the muffin, AND look so much prettier doing it…
So now that we’ve got all that out of the way, let’s talk about the fabulous chocolate muffins that house those mini chocolate chips, eh?
Like most of my other healthier muffins, these ones are made without any butter or oil, but they stay super soft and tender thanks to a combination of Greek yogurt, applesauce, and honey.
The muffins themselves are naturally sweetened, but they won’t be 100% refined-sugar-free unless you use chocolate chips that have been sweetened with stevia or xylitol. OR you can sub out the chocolate chips for some dark chocolate chunks because #antioxidants.
No matter which way you choose to play it, these healthy chocolate lover’s muffins are a great way to satisfy those chocolate cravings… whether they’re yours or someone else’s!
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 1 cup (120 g) whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1/4 cup (20 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (225 g) plain Greek yogurt**
- 1/2 cup (160 g) liquid honey
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened applesauce***
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350F (176C) and prepare a muffin pan by lining the cavities with paper liners or greasing them with cooking spray or oil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg until it becomes slightly frothy before whisking in the yogurt, honey, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing gently until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, filling each until they’re about 3/4 of the way full. Top with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for ~10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
* You could also make these with all purpose flour or use a mix of 1/2 cup (60 g) whole wheat and 3/4 cup (90 g) all purpose. ** You could also use a vanilla Greek yogurt if you like things slightly sweeter. *** If you don’t have any applesauce on hand, you could also use an equal amount of mashed banana.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 17 mins
Keywords: baking, chocolate, chocolate lover’s muffins, dessert, healthy chocolate muffins, healthy muffins, muffins, recipe, snack
Looking for more healthy chocolate muffin recipes? Try one of these!