Boom. One month of 2015 in.the.bag.
How are we feeling about this? Personally, I’m not quite sure. I mean… it’s a little hard to believe that it’s already the end of January, but at the same time Christmas feels like it was for.ev.er ago, so… I’m undecided. How about I get back to you on that one? In the meantime, what do you say we take a little look back at the past month?
I know I usually put up a monthly favourites post to close off each month, but after doing it for over 2 years, I think I’d like to try something new for a little while. I enjoyed sharing my favourites with you guys, but I always felt like I was trying to cram way too many things into one post, so instead I’m going to split things up and do a little blog/life recap at the end of each month and then insert some random favourites posts whenever I feel like I have some favourites to share.
I have to admit that part of my desire to switch things up has to do with the fact that I’ve fallen into the habit of reflecting on my days and noting the things that stuck out… and I wanted to start doing that for Spoons as well. That One Line A Day book I mentioned a while back? You can blame that. But I’ve actually really enjoyed taking the time to make a note of what happens — it makes time slow down a little so it doesn’t feel like the days and weeks are flying by without me noticing. So without further ado, January at a glance.
For Savory Style:
. – . – . – .
- After a semi-slow December, Spoons got some pretty sweet features in January!
- SHAPE Magazine featured my Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Bake in their “Healthy Breakfast Ideas for New Year’s Day.”
- Huffington Post featured my No-Bake Almond Fudge Protein Bars in their “15 Clean-Eating No Bake Snacks and my Banana Oat Greek Yogurt Muffins in their “18 Healthy Breakfast Ideas.”
- Teen Vogue featured my Banana Bread Mug Cake in their “9 Things You Absolutely Need to Know to Survive Dorm Life.”
- And Fitness Magazine featured my Flourless Gingerbread Muffins in their “9 Gluten-Free Muffins You Can Make at Home.”
- You guys keep rocking my socks off with all your Thinking Out Loud posts! January saw the linkup’s highest number of entries yet (at 96), and here’s hoping we can hit over 100 in the next few months!
- And thanks so much for helping Spoons hit over 7k on Facebook. You guys really are sock rockers.
. – . – . – .
- I’m pretty sure the biggest event of January was the fact that I turned 30 years young. It didn’t end up going over quite as I had expected, but being almost a month into it, I have to admit that 30 doesn’t feel any different from 29. Or 28. Or 27. And if the past month is any indication of how the next decade is going to go, then I have a feeling it’s going to be a good one.
- Abnormally gorgeous weather in January meant not one, but two snowboarding trips up to the mountains. Cravings almost satisfied.
- I discovered my newest obsession this month, and was pretty darn stoked to see so many of you treat yourselves to it as well. If you ever need anyone to talk planner-related things to, then hit me up because I’m obsessed with all things planner, sticker, washi, post-it, and marker related. And yes, it’s a real thing — Google it.
- I started putting a little more effort into my running [again] by following the Couch to 5K program. I haven’t been as consistent with it as I would have liked because of needing some recovery time after boarding, but overall it’s going really well! I think I’ll squash my goal of being able to comfortably run 5k by the end of the year.
- Studying, studying, and more studying. I’m currently working on getting my Registered Holistic Nutritionist degree through the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, so every spare moment goes into my studies. Is it weird that I actually look forward to it?
. – . – . – .
- More recipes! February means Valentine’s Day and Valentine’s Day means chocolate! Lots of sweets and treats coming up next month.
- Online health coaching! I’ve been meaning to introduce my services online for what feels like forever now, but the perfectionist in me wants to have all the details nailed out before I do. It’s coming!
Tell me at least one awesome thing that happened in January!
What’s in the books for February?