This healthy Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Bake let’s you enjoy the taste and texture of a traditional cinnamon bun without all the added sugar and saturated fat! Gluten-free, vegan, and super simple to whip up.
My house smells like Christmas morning.
That’s literally the first thing that popped into my head while I was experimenting with today’s recipe… which is strange considering my family’s never done the whole “cinnamon buns for Christmas breakfast” thing. We have pancakes. Or crepes. Or leftovers from Christmas Eve dinner.
That being said, I have no idea where the Christmas morning association came from… aside from possibly reading about it on various blogs over the years. If anything, the smell of cinnamon buns should have sparked an image of a shopping mall food court, since it’s impossible to walk past one of those without getting hit by the tantalizing aroma of cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla. Swoooooon.
I’m such a sucker for the taste and smell of cinnamon, and even more so for for the taste and smell of cinnamon buns. The only thing is, I’m not crazy about the idea of eating store-bought cinnamon buns that are upwards of 700 calories with 50+ grams of sugar and a nice helping of saturated fat. And while making them at home sounds great in theory, it doesn’t translate so well to practice. At least not for me.
I’ve only ever made cinnamon buns once, and that was on a random Wednesday afternoon when I finally mustered up enough courage to face my fear of working with yeast. They came out alright, but all the kneading, rising, waiting, rolling, cutting, stuffing, waiting, and baking was a little much for my need-it-NOW mentality.
Luckily, I’ve found a healthy, happy, and easy medium…
In the interest of full disclosure, this Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Bake doesn’t taste exactly like a cinnamon bun, but it does tastes pretty darn fabulous and has the added bonus of not being loaded with tonnes of sugar and saturated fat, nor does it require any yeast to make. Yay!
Instead, you get a nice dose of fibre and plant-based protein alongside the delicious cinnamon sugar taste and doughy texture of a traditional cinnamon bun in a gluten-free and vegan breakfast bake that you can enjoy any day of the week. It’s like Christmas morning every day.
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp. oat bran*
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flour**
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup***
- 1 tsp. vanilla flavour
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F, and lightly spray an individual sized (~16oz.) ramekin with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine oats, oat bran, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Add almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla, mixing until well combined.
- Transfer half of the dough to your greased ramekin, making sure covers the entire bottom. Top with cinnamon and sugar (and raisins or nuts, if desired) before adding the remaining dough. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon and sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until centre has set and desired consistency is reached. Top with a glaze****, if desired, and enjoy!
* If you don’t have any oat bran on hand, just use an additional 2 Tbsp. of oats. ** You can sub this for any flour you have on hand, but the coconut flour really helps give this bake a doughier texture. *** If you’re not planning to top your bake with a glaze, you might want to use 1 Tbsp. of sweetener. **** To make a glaze, take a heaping tablespoon of powdered sugar and add a tiny bit of water until the proper consistency is reached. You could also try to do this with a vanilla flavoured protein powder instead of the sugar.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Keywords: breakfast, breakfast bake, cinnamon, cinnamon bun breakfast bake, cinnamon buns, gluten-free, healthy, vegan
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Udi’s Gluten Free. All opinions and text are my own. Lots of love for showing some love to the brands that help sponsor Spoons! If you want to learn more about gluten-free or allergy-friendly living, you can visit Udi’s community page or check them out on Facebook!