These delicious little Apple and Gouda Mini Frittatas (aka: egg muffins) make a perfect grab-and-go breakfast or a fun brunch! Simply make them ahead and pop them in the microwave when you’re ready to eat.
Could it be? Another savoury recipe on Spoons?!?
Your eyes do not deceive you, my friends, and believe me when I say that I’m probably more shocked than anyone. Considering I can’t even remember the last time I posted anything even close to a savoury recipe on the old bloody blog before last week, the fact that I have another one for you today is kind of a big deal.
But I can’t help it! I mean, obviously I eat more than just sweets, but I don’t usually find those foods as interesting or share worthy (sorry!)… which is probably why even today’s RARE savoury recipe has a little bit of sweetness tossed in.
Please tell me that you’ve tried the combination of apples and cheese. And please promise me that you’ll stop what you’re doing (as soon as you finish this post) and try it straightaway if you never have.
Creamy, salty cheese; a crisp, sweet apple… The two elements come together perfectly in a harmonious combination that’s an absolute delight for the senses. I’ve only ever had it in sandwich form prior to this, but I wanted to try something a little different this time around, so I grabbed some eggs and whipped up a batch of mini frittatas…
Besides the fact that they’re a great source of protein, vitamins, and minerals, eggs are awesome in their versatility. Not only can they be used in breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert recipes, but they have no problem playing either the sweet or savoury card, which makes them a perfect addition to the already phenomenal apple and cheese combo.
The result is a [mostly] savoury breakfast that has tantalizing hints of sweetness in each bite; and the fact that these frittatas are made in a muffin pan makes them a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack option for those days where time is scarce and sustenance is needed.
So do yourself a favour and give the egg, apple, and cheese combo a go – I promise you won’t be disappointed!
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Place spinach in a steamer set over boiling water, cover, and steam until just wilted, about 1 minute. Remove and pat dry with a paper towel to remove some of the excess moisture.
- Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. When pan and oil are hot, add the diced onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a separate bowl and add the wilted spinach and diced apple. Stir well and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, Gouda, salt, and pepper. Divide the spinach, onion, and apple mixture evenly among the muffin tins, and use a ladle to spoon the egg mixture over top, filling about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until eggs have set and edges begin to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from tins and serving.
Keywords: apple and gouda frittata, apples, breakfast, brunch, egg muffins, eggs, frittatas, gouda, mini frittatas
Eggs have always had 14 important vitamins and nutrients including protein, iron and vitamin A. Natural goodness, brought to you by your local egg farmers.
For more information about the natural goodness of eggs, visit eggs.ca.
Disclosure: This post was brought to you by Egg Farmers of Canada via Mode Media Canada. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Egg Farmers of Canada.