Light, fluffy, and loaded with bananas, chocolate, and nuts, these Chunky Monkey Greek Yogurt Pancakes make an easy and delicious breakfast! Gluten-free thanks to the oats, they’ll keep you satisfied all morning with over 20g of protein!
Heyyyyy, it’s the weekend! And you know what that means… Saturday morning cartoons!
No? Just me? Fine. Actually, I honestly can’t even remember the last time I watched cartoons on a Saturday morning… They used to be a weekly thing back when I was little, with several hours spent vegging out on the couch in my PJs with a bowl of sugary cereal in my lap, but it’s been a good handful of years since I’ve had the pleasure of indulging in some Tiny Toons or Animaniacs.
Is that still a thing these days? Saturday morning cartoons? Or is it something else we lost to the passage of time, like handwritten letters, 3 hour phone calls, and mix tapes? I’d check myself, but I don’t have cable (or kids), so I have no idea what Saturday morning are supposed to look like these days… but I do miss those simple times.
Another thing I miss? Special Saturday morning breakfasts. I already mentioned the sugary cereal (read: Cinnamon Toast Crunch), which I wasn’t usually allowed to have during the week, but there were also things like chocolate chip waffles, blueberry stuffed crepes, and my mom’s famous buttermilk pancakes.
Can I tell you something without you laughing at me too much? Flipping pancakes stresses me out… which is probably why I haven’t eaten many batches since moving out on my own. I’ll literally be standing there over my stove with a white-knuckled grip on my spatula, constantly having to remind myself to be patient. “Not yet. Nooooooot yet. Wait for it. WAIT.” Needless to say, it’s not the simple and serene start that I look for in a day. Pair that with the fact that most pancake recipes are meant to serve a whole family of people, and I usually just stick to a bowl of oatmeal.
But these pancakes are different. And foolproof.
For starters, the entire recipe is a single serving. Yup. That means you can eat all six palm-sized pancakes yourself and enjoy a ridiculously satisfying breakfast that packs in a whopping 20g of protein. Not half bad, eh?
To make things even better, you whip them up in your blender, meaning cleanup is minimal and you don’t have to worry about over-mixing a fussy batter and ending up with tough pancakes. The finished batter itself is super easy to work with as well, so you’re pretty much guaranteed perfectly shaped pancakes every.single.time.
Believe me. If I can do it, you can do it too. My pancake skills, like I already mentioned, are sub-par.
But the best part of this recipe is definitely how simple and delicious it is. Bananas, oats, and Greek yogurt combined in a light and fluffy pancake that’s studded with chocolate chips and topped with a creamy banana nut sauce. Oh lawd. I’m normally a maple syrup kind of girl, but in this case? I’m more than happy to make an exception.
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
For the pancakes:
- 1/4 cup (60 g) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (40 g) rolled oats*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 medium, ripe banana (50 g or 1/4 cup [60 ml] mashed)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1–2 Tbsp (15–30 ml) unsweetened almond milk**
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the banana nut sauce:
- 1 Tbsp (16 g) nut butter***
- other half of the banana
- splash of almond milk
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and coat it with cooking spray or oil. You want to make sure that it’s very hot before you start cooking your pancakes.
- Add ingredients to a blender in the order listed and blend until oats are fully broken down and batter is smooth and frothy. Fold in chocolate chips and allow batter to sit for a few minutes so that it thickens up.
- Pour batter straight from blender onto skillet until desired size of pancakes is reached and cook until the edges have set and bubbles begin to form on the tops of the pancakes, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Repeat until all the batter is gone, making sure to coat your skillet again with oil between each batch.
- Make the sauce by mashing 1/2 a banana in a small bowl before adding a spoonful of nut butter. Mix until smooth, adding a splash of almond milk to reach your desired consistency. Pour over pancakes and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
* Make sure to use certified gluten-free oats if you need these to be GF. ** Start with 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of almond milk and only add a second if you feel the batter is too thick. *** I used a natural almond butter, but feel free to use whichever nut or seed butter is your favourite.
Nutritional info calculated with the banana nut sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Keywords: banana oat pancakes, breakfast, chocolate, chunky monkey, easy breakfast, gluten-free pancakes, Greek yogurt, healthy breakfast, pancakes, recipe
Looking for more Greek yogurt pancake recipes? Try one of these!