10 minutes and 5 ingredients are all you need to whip up these healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Energy Bites! They’re nut-free, gluten-free, vegan, and taste like soft and doughy poppable bites of banana bread!
This recipe is for my fellow impatient banana bread lovers.
The ones who can’t understand how something that takes an hour plus to come together can be called a “quick” bread; the ones who need their craving for a soft and tender bite of doughy banana goodness satisfied yesterday.
This recipe is also for anyone who happens to be looking for a healthy snack option that comes together in 5 minutes, requires only 5 ingredients, is allergy-friendly, and tastes like a little poppable bite of banana bread.
No-bake/protein/energy bites and/or balls may be one of my favourite things to snack on. Why? Simple.
First, they are simple. A handful of pantry staples, a food processor, a few minutes of hands-on time that bring back fond childhood memories of playing with Play-Doh, and voila! You’ve got yourself a delicious grab-and-go snack that’s guaranteed to tide you over until your next meal.
Second, they’re naturally delicious. Whole food ingredients, no refined sugars, and a balance of carbs, proteins, and fats means all the satisfaction without any of the energy highs and lows.
And finally, they just straight up taste good.
The only thing that can be bothersome in some cases is the fact that most energy bites are made with some kind of a nut base… which isn’t normally a problem since nuts are a great source of plant-based protein and healthy fats, but they’re not so great if you’re allergic to them.
You know all those snowboarding trips I go on? I almost always bring some kind of snacks to share, and energy bites are my go-to since people love them and they make a great high energy snack that doesn’t take up a lot of room. My last trip threw me a little curveball, though…
See, I’m usually the most allergy-ridden of the bunch (womp, womp) so the only thing I really need to avoid is peanuts, but this time we had someone coming along who was allergic to all nuts and gluten… And because I didn’t want anyone to feel left out since I totally know how much that sucks from having to live with my own food allergies, I decided to come up with an energy bite recipe that was totally allergy friendly. No nuts. No gluten. No dairy. No soy. No corn. None of the most common food allergens.
These banana bread energy bites are loosely based on my carrot cake energy bites, and like those, these are lighter and fluffier than most other energy bites thanks to their lack of nuts. They’re soft, doughy and quieten those banana bread cravings in under 10 minutes. And if you need more protein (or if you’re allergic to coconut or don’t have any flour on hand), you can swap the coconut flour for your favourite protein powder and call it a day. Just make sure your bananas are super spotty — that’s when they’re the sweetest and moistest (sorry).
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 1 medium-size ripe banana (100 g)
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup (28 g)coconut flour*
- 1/2 cup (40 g) rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp (20 g) dairy-free chocolate chips
- Into the bowl of a food processor or high-speed blender, add dates and banana, processing until dates have broken down and mixture is smooth.
- Add coconut flour and oats, continuing to process until ingredients are well combined and the mixture sticks together easily. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Using a heaping tablespoon, roll dough between your hands to form balls. Set aside on a plate and repeat with remaining dough. Store balls in an airtight container in the fridge for best results, or freeze for longer periods of time.
* You can easily sub the coconut flour for your favourite protein powder to add more protein, or use 2 Tbsp. of each. ** Make sure to use certified gluten free oats if you need these to be gluten free.
Keywords: banana bread energy bites, bananas, energy bites, food allergies, gluten-free, nut-free, recipe, vegan
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Udi’s Gluten Free. The opinions and text are all mine.