A flourless morning glory muffin that’s gluten-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free, oil-free and whipped up in the blender in under 5 minutes flat! Perfect for breakfast or as a healthy snack.
I love a good muffin.
In fact, if you were to ask me what my favourite kind of baked treat was, “muffins” would probably be my answer. That’s not to say that I turn my nose up at cookies, cakes, brownies, or bars (especially if chocolate is involved), but muffins somehow managed to make their way to the top of my favourites list over this last handful of years. And I say “somehow managed” because I wasn’t all that crazy about them back in the day.
Wait. Nope. I lied. I do remember going through a phase where I was eating muffins for breakfast everyday, but those weren’t muffins so much as small cakes — similar in both size and nutritional value. Delicious, but probably not the healthiest way to start the day.
Not that my younger self was overly concerned with what was healthy, but my present day self kind of is… especially since my present day body doesn’t exactly let me get away with most of the shenanigans I pulled when I was younger. How I managed to go so many years on a lifestyle fuelled by Kraft dinners and minimal sleep, I’ll never know. But I do know that there’s no way I’d be able to pull those kind of stunts now. At least not if I want to be a functional human being, which I kind of do. But I digress. Back to muffins!
Let’s talk about why I love them.
First, they’re perfectly portable and pre-portioned, meaning they’re easy to grab when you’re running out the door or when you’re so groggy in the morning that you can’t trust yourself with sharp objects. Hey, we’ve all been there. No judgement.
Second, they’re dense and doughy. Perfect for those days where you need something a little more substantial. Something you can really sink your teeth into.
Third, they can be made in a blender. Mmm hmm. You guys know I like my recipes to be as quick and painless as possible, and what’s easier than tossing a bunch of ingredients in a blender, pouring it out into a pan, and ending up with something like this?
Flourless morning glory muffins. Chock full of oats, apples, carrots, raisins, walnuts, and everything else you might need to start your day off on the right foot. Except maybe coffee, but you’re on your own with that one.
As with all my other flourless muffin recipes, these are gluten-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free, oil-free, and de.li.cious. They’re slightly denser than your traditional flour-based muffin, but I actually kind of prefer that because — the “sink your teeth into” feeling I mentioned earlier? — these have that in spades.
So whether you’re looking for a healthy breakfast or snack, I hope you’ll give these a try!
I’d love to know if you make this (or any!) recipe! Tag @runwithspoons on Instagram and Twitter, and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!Print
- ¼ cup (64 g) creamy almond butter*
- 1 medium-size ripe banana (~100 g)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (80 g) honey
- 1/2 cup (40 g) rolled oats**
- 2 tbsp (14 g) ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup carrots (about 2 large), peeled and grated (115 g)
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and grated (115 g)
- 1/3 cup (55 g) raisins
- 1/3 cup (40 g) walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and prepare a muffin pan by spraying 9 cavities with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add all ingredients except for carrots, apple, raisins, and walnuts (if using) to a high-speed blender and blend on high until oats are broken down and batter is smooth and creamy. If you do not have a high speed blender, you can mix all the ingredients by hand. Simply grind the oats into a flour and mash the bananas before combining all the ingredients in a bowl and mixing well. Fold in carrots, apple, raisins, and walnuts and mix by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cavity until it is about ¾ full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops of your muffins are set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for ~10 minutes before removing. Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
* Can sub with nut butter of choice. Or use soy nut butter for a nut-free option.
** Make sure they’re certified gluten-free if you need the muffins to be gluten-free.
Keywords: flourless morning glory muffins, gluten-free morning glory muffins, gluten-free muffins, healthy morning glory muffins, morning glory muffins,
Looking for more flourless muffin recipes? Try one of these!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Udi’s Gluten Free. The opinions and text are all mine.