These flourless chocolate pumpkin muffins are gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free, but so soft and chocolatey that you’d never be able to tell they’re healthy! Whipped up in the blender in under 5 minutes flat, they make a delicious fall-inspired breakfast or snack!
Apologies in advance to anyone still clinging to the fleeting days of summer.
I know fall doesn’t officially start for another 2 weeks, but with the days getting colder, the nights getting longer, and the kids back in school, it’s time to accept the inevitable — pumpkin season is upon us. Brace yourselves.
Do you love it? Do you hate it? Do you not really care either way?
I have to admit that, up until I started reading food blogs a handful of years back, I didn’t even know the pumpkin craze was a thing. I thought pumpkins existed for the sole purpose of carving into jack-o-lanters — I had no idea people actually ate them.
But in my defense, my family is Polish, and pumpkins aren’t exactly a thing back in the homeland. We never did pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. Or pumpkin soup. Or pumpkin bread. Or… catch my drift? Pumpkin just wasn’t in the picture.
Now, though? It’s rockin’ centre stage.
I’ve been sitting on a handful of pumpkin recipes since the end of July (I know), so I’m kind of psyched to finally be able to share them with you. I try to hold off until at least September before subtly suggesting that you start introducing the orange squash into your diet, and with labour day in the bag, I think I’m in the clear.
I’m sorry, summer-clinger-onners; but does it help that I come
in peace with chocolate? And muffins? Because I’ve got a batch of flourless chocolate pumpkin muffins that I think you’re going to like…
That’s not a bad compromise, right? I mean, yes — it’s pumpkin in what’s technically still summer — but it’s marginally detectable pumpkin in a soft and tender chocolate muffin that’s gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, and 100% crazy delicious.
So how ’bout them
Flourless muffins are actually some of my favourite things to bake (read: eat) because I’m a texture freak and the texture of these is spot.ON. They’re a little denser and fudgier than regular muffins, but still soft and doughy in that melt-in-your-mouth kind of way. And the best part is that you can toss all the ingredients into your blender and whip them up in under 5 minutes. No fuss, no muss.
So don’t lament the end of summer, because there are plenty of good things to love about fall — with these delicious chocolate pumpkin muffins being one of them. After all, what’s better than hanging out in a warm kitchen on a crisp fall day? Well, besides enjoying what comes out of that kitchen…
- 1/2 cup (128 g) almond butter*
- 3/4 cup (180 g) canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 6 Tbsp (120 g) honey
- 1/4 cup (20 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp (14 g) ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup (45 g) mini chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 375F (190C) and prepare a muffin pan by spraying 9 cavities with cooking spray or lining them with parchment liners. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips to a high-speed blender or food processor and process on high until the batter becomes smooth and creamy. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour the batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cavity until it is about 3/4 full and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the tops of your muffins are set and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in pan for ~10 minutes before removing. Store them in an air-tight container for up to 5 days, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Looking for more flourless muffin recipes? Try one of these!
Pumpkin – love it or hate it?
Are you clinging to summer or ready for fall?
More places to find me!
E-mail — [email protected]
Twitter — runwithspoons
Facebook — runningwithspoons
Pinterest — runwithspoons
Instagram — runwithspoons
Bloglovin — runningwithspoons
Snapchat — runningspoons