. link love 2/16 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on February 16, 2014

Happy Sunday, friends! :D

Valentine Flowers

Did you have a good Valentine’s Day? I didn’t end up getting a chance to Skype with J, so I spent the majority of my night cuddling up to a good book and some chocolate instead. Not my first choice, but I suppose I can’t complain — the man did send flowers, the weekend is a long one, and the weather’s finally warmed up so I’ve finally been able to get back out on the slopes again. Woop, woop!

I hope you guys have an awesome Sunday, and if you find yourselves enjoying some downtime, be sure to check out some of these great links!

Link-Love

In my head…

. fitness .

60 Minute High Energy Workout Playlist via Nut Butter Runner.
Because good music makes your feet grow wings…

9 Easy Ways To Become Fitter This Year via Lifehack.
“The key to changing habits is making small changes and focusing on one thing at a time.”

Improve Your Workout Regimen With A Rest Day via Wellness Today.
Never underestimate the importance of a rest day in reaching your fitness goals.

5 Surprising Health Benefits of Yoga via Huffington Post.
There’s more to yoga than simple flexibility and stress-relief.

. health .

Biggest Loser Winner Says She May Have Gone Too Far via Huffington Post.
… ya think?!? Rachel denies accusations of an ED — I do hope she’s healthy.

10 Ways To Use Coconut Oil via Keeping Healthy Getting Stylish.
Great ways to incorporate more of this amazing oil into your life.

Building A Support System for Gluten Free Kids via Cotter Crunch.
Some really great tips on raising kids with food allergies.

10 Reasons Why You Need To Sleep Even Though You’re Busy via Lifehack.
If you think sacrificing sleep to get more done makes you more productive, think again…

30 Sugar Substitutes For Any And Every Situation via Greatist.
Some healthier ways to satisfy that sweet tooth…

8 Reasons Why You’re Still Hungry After You Eat via Men’s Health.

6 Things You Need To Know About Protein via Lifehack.
Do your research before jumping on the high-protein bandwagon…

A Guide To Eating Out For People With Food Allergies via Huffington Post.
Great tips to make eating out a little less stressful if you suffer from allergies.

13 Surprising Uses for Honey and Cinnamon via Bembu.
As if I needed more reason to love those two foods…

. happiness .

10 Secrets To Happiness You Keep Forgetting via The SITS Girls.
Being happy requires some conscious effort — you can’t just sit back and hope for the best.

On Body Image Activism via Better With Sprinkles.
Some great ways to fight back against the unhealthy images promoted by the media.

What Does God Want Me To Do? via Fit ‘n’ Cookies.
If we put our trust in God and believe everything happens for a reason, our anxieties fall away.

10 Things Smart People Don’t Do via LifeHack.
Life smart, not necessarily book smart…

. blogging .

How To Create A Self Portrait via The SITS Girls.
Having pictures of yourself on your blog helps your readers connect with you. Great tips!

For my belly…

Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup via Shiny Love Affair.
I’ve started craving soups like a madwoman lately, and this is one of my favourite combos.

25 Wholesome Homemade Protein Bar Recipes via Bembu.
Shameless plug :D But really… everyone knows homemade bars are the best.

Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash via Eat Great, BE Great.
Such an amazing combination of flavours and textures. Yum, yum.

Mini Pizza Quinoa Bites via Iowa Girl Eats.
Did someone say mini bites of cheesy goodness?!?! :shock:

Your links…

Signature

What did you end up doing for Valentine’s?
Three things you did yesterday; three things you’re going to do today. Go:
Yesterday: took advantage of the post-Valentine’s chocolate sale, went snowboarding, caught up with a friend.
Today: church, snowboarding, and going to my parents’ for dinner.

More places to find me!
E-mail — runwithspoons@hotmail.com
Twitter — runwithspoons
Facebook — runningwithspoons
Pinterest — runwithspoons
Instagram — runwithspoons
Bloglovin — runningwithspoons

1 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles February 16, 2014 at 6:07 am

Three things yesterday- run, Red Mango (BOGO!) and the mall before it started snowing…Today – short workout to loosen legs, maybe Red Mango (BOGO!) and tackling some work that needs to get done.
meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..French Toast Coffee And Breakfast- RecipeMy Profile

2 Elise @ 9toFit.com February 16, 2014 at 6:07 am

Definitely checking out that coconut oil post, it’s something I want to start trying more but never really know where to add it
Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted..Off the Ground Ab WorkoutMy Profile

3 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I know a lot of people add a spoonful to their coffee to make something called “bulletproof coffee.” One of my favourite things is to put it on toast with a little bit of honey and cinnamon — SO good. You can also replace the butter in recipes as well as use it to sauté veggies and such.

4 Tiffany February 16, 2014 at 6:20 am

Great links! Always love the linkup!
Tiffany recently posted..FO Nutkin Socks AKA Nutty SocksMy Profile

5 Ms.J February 16, 2014 at 6:24 am

I’ve come across mention of the post Valentines Day chocolate sale on a few blogs..but I was out shopping yesterday and it seems it doesn’t happen everywhere! Or wait..do prices get slashed on ALL chocolate or just the pink/red heart things?

6 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I think it mostly just applies to the Valentine’s candies and chocolates.

7 Cassie February 16, 2014 at 6:25 am

Thank you SO much for that rest link. I took an unplanned rest day yesterday and it killed me mentally because I was thrown off my routine.

I spent Valentine’s with my dad… we made mussels because we keep talking about it, got oysters (because we both love them haha) and just had a nice evening together.

Those flowers are beautiful! I love how the vase has a necklace :)
Cassie recently posted..Red Velvet Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

8 Katie February 16, 2014 at 6:59 am

Thanks for sharing such great links!! :) Always look forward to these :)

9 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves February 16, 2014 at 7:09 am

Awesome links! I loved the “10 things smart people don’t do” and the “10 ways to use coconut oil” links.
My Valentine’s Day: made French toast for breakfast, made cinnamon rolls, and babysat the most well-behaved baby ever.
Yesterday: Made the slowwww drive up to Binghamton (slushy roads), evening Mass, and went out for a sushi dinner with mom.
Today: Binghamton University admitted students day and make the slow drive back home!
Have a wonderful Sunday, Amanda! :)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Fascinating Friday Links #24My Profile

10 Christine@ Apple of My Eye February 16, 2014 at 7:52 am

Ohhhh gorgeous flowers! Bummer that you guys weren’t able to spend time together or talk, but what a beautiful gesture of his!

Can’t wait to check out all the great links! Have a wonderful Sunday lovely :D
Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted..A Love Note to KyleMy Profile

11 Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom February 16, 2014 at 8:06 am

I went out with a girlfriend for a dinner and a movie, then we went downtown for a few drinks. It was really nice to spend it with friends :) Happy belated Valentine’s Day!
Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted..Falling in Love with YourselfMy Profile

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 16, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Sounds like a perfect Galentine :)

13 Diana @sosmallsostrong February 16, 2014 at 8:20 am

Thanks for the links lovely! This will be my Sunday reading.
The flowers are beautiful and that vase is so pretty…love it! :)
Diana @sosmallsostrong recently posted..Valentine’s Day Workout & BF’s BirthdayMy Profile

14 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 16, 2014 at 8:32 am

Thanks so much for the link love! :-)

Three things I did yesterday: Went to the doctor, did a workout and went to a friend’s birthday party.

Three things I’m doing today: Making a smoothie for breakfast, going to another birthday party for my little cousin and watching The Walking Dead tonight.
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..My Thoughts on Valentine’s DayMy Profile

15 Danica @ It's Progression February 16, 2014 at 9:04 am

I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you to Skype with him…he did well on the flowers though! They’re beautiful!!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..patience…My Profile

16 Lauren February 16, 2014 at 10:34 am

SHOOT! I knew I wanted to go to Target yesterday for something. The “After Valentine’s Day Chocolate Sale”! Poop.

I’m sorry the Skype date didn’t plan out so well; but hey, those flowers are GORGEOUS!

17 Miss Polkadot February 16, 2014 at 10:35 am

Congrats on your double feature in the protein bar recipe collection! If only I wasn’t all out of rolled oats [shocking?!] I’d whip up a batch of one of these for work tomorrow. Added to my grocery store list already.
The most exciting part of my Valentine’s Day was finally (!) finishing the puzzle I’d been working on for weeks. I wasn’t sure I’d see that happen still :).
Happy Sunday!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Spill It Sunday – Shuffle editionMy Profile

18 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 16, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Ohhh yay! It always feels so good to click in that last piece — are you going to glue it together? Or break it apart and put it back in the box?

19 Catherine February 16, 2014 at 10:40 am

Always love checking out your links post, my tabs bar is now full of things to read!
Catherine recently posted..I frigging love this character… Sirius BlackMy Profile

20 Hollie February 16, 2014 at 10:49 am

I always say this but I really enjoy seeing what other people are reading. I have so many opinions about Biggest Loser but I don’t know what hasn’t been said (honestly).

Glad you had a great Valetines Day!
Hollie recently posted..Base building Week 3 (80 miles)My Profile

21 Davida @ The Healthy Maven February 16, 2014 at 11:33 am

Hi!!!! Stopping in for a quick hello before yoga (which I am going to for the first time in a month!)

I’ll take your self-portrait. In fact I’ll paint it. New hobby of mine. Missed you at lunch and skype this week is a must! xoxo
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..The Great Valentine’s Day Healthy Bake-OffMy Profile

22 Leigha @ Minougirl February 16, 2014 at 12:00 pm

For V-day my mom and I made a fabulous dinner of pasta with mushroom cream sauce! 3 things yesterday… I had a basketball game, I went to church, and I did yoga! 3 things today..I went for a run, I’m going xc skiing, and going to Grandma’s for dinner. Thanks for the awesome links!!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Valentine’s Day DinnerMy Profile

23 Arman @ thebigmansworld February 16, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Hi from the bloglovin app sent via train!

Lol- there is a link there from men’s health- nice one! And how good does Holly’s recipe look?! Except sub the sweet potatoes for white, obv.

3 things today- gym, work, eat. And maybe some random texting for the lol’s
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..Spill it, Sundays #12- Shuffle EditionMy Profile

24 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 16, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I had potatoes for dinner the other night and thought of you. Get out of my head :P

25 lindsay February 16, 2014 at 12:59 pm

i think i need to guest post on peanut allergies next. Would you? Love your support woman! always! <3
lindsay recently posted..Link LOVE & Teff Stew for TWO!My Profile

26 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 16, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Gorgeous flowers! Curling up in bed with some chocolates sounds like a great time to me! For Valentine’s Day, I just spent the day with my husband, keeping it pretty low key. We got in some great quality time together, which was fantastic. Have a great Sunday!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Weekly Workouts, 2/9-2/15My Profile

27 Sarah February 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Great list. Although I know about the benefits of taking rest days it is very hard to give myself permission to take it easy. Reading the Wellness Today article was exactly the reminder I needed.

This may be a really dumb question but I’m going to ask it anyway. Which coconut products taste coconutty? Coconut in one form or another is all over the blogosphere (and has been for quite some time.) Despite repeated attempts on my part I hate the stuff. Both taste and texture make me gag. However, I have had a couple of Thai dishes made with small amounts of coconut milk that I enjoyed and could not detect any coconut flavor. Among coconut flour, butter, oil, milk, and water which do (or hopefully do not) taste of coconut?

Have a great start to your week!

28 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 16, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Well, every coconut product tastes coconutty to some extent — I think it all depends on how you mask it. I think coconut flour would be the most mild, and it has a really wonderful sweetness and texture to it. I replace butter with coconut oil in some recipes and you can’t detect it there either. You just need to hide it with other flavours :)

29 Sarah February 16, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Merci :)

30 Agnes February 16, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Great links as always, thank you! The music playlist in particular came just at the right time!

The advice in the post on how to take a self-portrait made me laugh though…
“Set the camera slightly above your head so you are looking up a bit. This lessens dark circles under your eyes, and helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It also helps with chin issues.”
What on earth are “chin issues”????

31 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 16, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I think chin issues are where you kind of tilt your head downwards and give yourself a double chin… or a shadow that makes it look like you have a double chin. So many tricks when it comes to taking photographs…

32 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl February 16, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Beautiful flowers! I saw those quinoa pizza bites….they look amazing!!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Curried Vegetable Lentil ChiliMy Profile

33 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen February 16, 2014 at 5:08 pm

That article about the health benefits of yoga reminds me that I need to go to yoga again – it’s been like 3 weeks! Maybe that’s why I’ve had trouble sleeping these past two weeks. :P

Those flowers J sent you are beautiful! I hope you two get a chance to skype soon. :) For Valentine’s Day John and I went to Toronto for dinner.

Yesterday I: went to the St. Lawrence Market, went to Ripley’s Aquarium, and watched “About Time”.

Today I: did a 20 minute Jillian Michaels workout, went for brunch with Davida, Sam, and Suzanne (and we wish you were there!!! :(), and went out for lattes with a friend.
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Chocolate almond butter cookies with goji berries and coconutMy Profile

34 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 16, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Ohhh how was About Time? I wanted to see that, but somehow ended up overlooking it. And I SO wish I could have been there with you guys! Talk about totally jealous when Davs sent me that pic.

35 Lyric February 16, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Those flowers are BEAUTIFUL! Your are one lucky girl :D Valentines Day I curled up in bed, watched the Note Book and ate mac&cheese. It was fab. 3 Things I did yesterday: Worked, Caught up with a friend (Copied ya on that one) and watched 21 Jump Street.
3 Things Im doing today; Went out for breakfast with a friend, ate watermelon and tried to pretend it was summer while watching the snow fall and read my entire book over the course of 3 hours.
Lyric recently posted..It’s OkMy Profile

36 Liz @ I Heart Vegetables February 16, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Aw I’m sorry you guys didn’t get to skype! I hope your book was great :) Thanks for sharing all the links!

37 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 16, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Thanks for including me love!! <3
Yesterday: belated Valentine's dinner date, grocery shopping, usinged a cold as an excuse to play video games all afternoon.
Today: took a bus to TO, had brunch with Chelsea, Suzanne and Davs (why doesn't teleportation exist yet so you could come?) and thought about vacuuming the floor, but didn't.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Weekly Eats and Workouts + Spill It Sunday 02/16.My Profile

38 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 16, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Aw, the flowers he got you are beautiful! I’m sorry you didn’t get to talk but I do think a good book with chocolate sounds pretty awesome. :)

We ate Chipotle and watched a few episodes of Conan. Ha! Pure romance, baby.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Spinach Artichoke Quinoa CasseroleMy Profile

39 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) February 17, 2014 at 12:48 am

Thanks for linking me up! Love those flowers, how lovely of J :-)

40 Jan @ sprouts n squats February 17, 2014 at 1:35 am

Lots of great links! Off to check out the biggest loser article now as it sounds very interesting. Really hope as you said she hasn’t moved into ED territory that wouldn’t be good :/
Jan @ sprouts n squats recently posted..Do you feel like you are doing what you are meant to be doing?My Profile

41 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 17, 2014 at 7:17 am

Good links as always. Your flowers are beautiful, but I bet it would have been better to Skype with J. Hopefully that’s happened now.
As if I needed another excuse to get more Zzzz’s. :)
Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted..Week In Review: The More Than Words EditionMy Profile

42 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 17, 2014 at 7:20 am

And I totally forgot to answer your questions. Three things I did yesterday is on the blog, but it involves your Truffles. Three things I’m doing today: shoveling the driveway, a few hours of work, work, but at least it’ll be from home and a mini Girlmore Girls marathon because I love that show and I need a little down time. Happy Monday!! I know you’ll take that as a positive.

43 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 17, 2014 at 7:42 pm

My Monday became a lot happier when I found out you were going to Blend! Oooooomg #happydance

44 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 18, 2014 at 4:42 am

I’m still in shock. I’m half terrified, half excited, but I do know how to dance. #shakeyourbonbon
Plus, it would be totally fabulous to actually meet you. In person. That’s the excitement part. :)

45 Mayra February 17, 2014 at 7:28 am

Awesome links! Love the “Health” ones, I read almost all of them
I tried coffee with coconut oil once… ewww! now I’m adding it to plain yogurt! Really nice :)

46 Jen@PregnantDiabetic February 17, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Gorgeous flowers!!
Jen@PregnantDiabetic recently posted..31 WeeksMy Profile

47 Shannon February 17, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I totally love all your links- this is one of my favorite parts of the week! Seeing what articles I may have missed :)
I love the article on having a healthier body image. Very very enlightening and inspiring!
Thanks again for sharing all these :)
Shannon recently posted..Thursday Thoughts: Loving LoveMy Profile

48 Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair February 17, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Thank you so much for featuring my recipe! Sucks you didn’t get a chance to Skype with J. The flowers are beautiful though. My boyfriend and I just stayed in a made a delicious dinner. Super low key!
Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted..Honey Garlic Shrimp Quinoa SaladMy Profile

49 Robyn @thereallife_RD February 17, 2014 at 7:15 pm

SO many great links! I can’t wait to try all those recipes!
And the truffles you just posted, holy moly lady.

50 Www.Kimtracyprince.Com July 14, 2014 at 1:31 pm

We’ve been a small grouping of volunteers along with beginning a new structure in our group. Your website provided us worthwhile facts to work for. You’ve executed an extraordinary approach in addition to our whole group is often thankful for you.