. WIAW … pancakes for dinner .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on January 8, 2014

Hey, hey, hey! Happy Wednesday!

Or should I say happy [What I Ate] Wednesday? It’s been a couple of weeks since I last talked food with you guys, and I’m looking forward to sharing some delicious eats so let’s skip over the fancy-shmancy intros and go straight to the good stuff, mmmmkay?

WIAW

This week, we’re starting from the end and work our way back. Why? Because I’m writing this on Tuesday night and having a hard time remembering what I did on Tuesday morning, so hopefully the process will jog my memory. Aaaaaand go.

Last thingI ate — an evening snack of cereal, plain Greek yogurt, and frozen berries.

Crunchy Yogurt Bowl

I don’t know why I buy mixed berries when I don’t even like half the fruit in there. This mix had cherries, blueberries, and strawberries at some point, but I picked out all the good stuff and was left with a bag of raspberries and pomegranate arils, which made for a sourer and crunchier snack than I would have liked.

It actually reminds me of the relationship I had with Lucky Charms as a kid — I’d pick out all the marshmallows and be left with a box of plain cereal, which I didn’t care for but had to eat anyways because Mom wouldn’t let me have another box otherwise… And even though there are no more rules saying I have to finish what I like to call the bottom-of-the-bag-baddies, I still feel bad for wasting food.

But I don’t feel bad for enjoying breakfast for dinner!

Pancakes for Dinner

Greek yogurt banana oat pancakes — recipe coming soon!

I have a strange relationship with pancakes. I like them, but not for breakfast. The reason being that they require far more effort than I’m willing to put in at 6 AM. Oatmeal is easy… toss it in the pot with some water and walk away — it does its thing on its own. But pancakes? Pancakes need to be mixed, poured, monitored, and flipped… and the process becomes even more stressful when your pancake flipping skills are as sub-par as mine. I literally stand there with a white-knuckled grip on my spatula, constantly repeating “Not yet. Nooooooot yet. Wait for it. WAIT.” Like I said… not the most peaceful way to start the day. Pancakes for dinner, though? That I can do.

For breakfast, there’s oatmeal…

Apple Almond Oatmeal

Eggy bananafied oatmeal layered with plain Greek yogurt and topped with roasted almond butter, honey, and homemade applesauce to be more exact. And yes, I realize that I just completely messed up the chronology of going from finish to start, but this is how my brain works — I’m just along for the ride. And since we’re back at the beginning, let’s just keep going from there.

After breakfast came a morning snack

Yummy Granola Bars

Soft and Chewy Protein Granola Bar

… which tastes even better on the second day. The oats get softer, the bar gets chewier… gah! I went to heaven at 10 AM… aaaaand promptly came back to earth at 10:05 to study until it was time for lunch

Snack Plate Lunch

Nothing to see here, folks…. just a snack plate consisting of a Dr. Kracker flatbread, roasted almonds, strawberry yogurt, roasted kabocha, and broccoli. Random, but good. Lunch and I don’t really get along, but at least we’ve learned to be cordial with each other. I like it far better when it consists of a snack plate, but let’s not kid ourselves… I’ve really got my eyes set on the afternoon prize

Birthday Cake Top

A Slice of Cake

Delicious Birthday Cake

Birthdays mean leftover birthday cake, and leftover birthday cake means happiness. Sorry for assaulting you with the cake pics, but the only picture I posted didn’t even come close to doing this cake justice, so I had to have a mini photoshoot with it when the lighting was better.

And because I like to end things on a sweet note, we’re going to end it here. Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday, and I’ll see you tomorrow for Thinking Out Loud!

Signature

What do you usually have for breakfast? Oats? Cereal? Eggs? Pancakes?
What are your favourite pancake toppings?
Maple syrup, always and forever.
What did you have for dinner last night?

1 Elise @ 9toFit.com January 8, 2014 at 5:46 am

The cake looks ridiculously goodddd.. man now I’m hungry again
Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted..Game Day Food: Healthy Black Bean DipMy Profile

2 Ksenija @ With An Open Mind January 8, 2014 at 5:49 am

This cake… oh man, Amanda, I would totally be mad at you if it weren’t for the awesomely delicious pancake recipe coming our way. Definitely something I can do in my tiny French kitchenette, so I’ll wait for it!

Also how fun is your lunch. I really prefer snacking through lunches too. A) I am not really having a big appetite for anything special at this point and B) snacking is so much more fun than thinking of some fancy-schmancy meal. I prefer to leave that for dinner ;)

Have a beautiful day, lady and enjoy your cake!
Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday {in France #1}My Profile

3 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Can I just say that I adore the die oaf your tiny French kitchenette? I’m sure it poses its challenges, but it’s just another reason to bust out the creativity, right? :D Happy Wednesday, darlin! xox

4 Christina January 8, 2014 at 5:52 am

Good grief, everything looks so amazing!! Especially the cake *dribbles*.
Christina recently posted..WIAW: Croissants, Chaat, Chapattis and CleaningMy Profile

5 Liz @ I Heart Vegetables January 8, 2014 at 5:54 am

That cake!!! Oh my goodness. I want to reach through the screen and steal a bite. YUM! ;)

6 Becky January 8, 2014 at 5:55 am

Your food all looked good and made me hungry. :) I usually go with oatmeal for breakfast because like you said, it’s quick and easy!
Becky recently posted..8 Things to Never Say to a RunnerMy Profile

7 Kim @ Racing Bananas January 8, 2014 at 5:55 am

Those pancakes! I agree – way too much work for the morning, but always good for dinner!
Kim @ Racing Bananas recently posted..WIAW: The One Where I Photo DumpMy Profile

8 Ms.J January 8, 2014 at 6:02 am

Ok looking at that cake is pure torture. It’s more like a fudgy chocolate pie which is what makes it more appealing than any normal cake. And thanks for making me crave eggy oats again.. I haven’t had it since the weather screamed summer. Adding applesauce to your regular concoction is a small stroke of genius. Tell me about pancake making! The mixing, the pouring, the waiting! .. I just can’t.
I may be coming for dinner tomorrow. Your pancakes look perfect!
Ms.J recently posted..WIAW no rulesMy Profile

9 Becky @ Olives n Wine January 8, 2014 at 6:03 am

Brinner for the win! I had a sweet potato scramble for dinner last night, great minds think alike… Except for the whole sweet vs. savory part ;) And that cake! I need to think of birthday cake ideas but something simple because Kyle will be making it. As for waffle toppings (I prefer waffles to pancakes…), anything sweet! Chocolate, fruit, whipped cream, syrup – it’s a dessert to me :)
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..A day in the the life…My Profile

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Confession: I always turn to store-bought mixes when I need a simple cake option :lol: But I try to get a little fancy with the decor, so I get bonus points for that, right? I do recommend a Black Forest, though — one of my favourite cakes ever.

11 Heather @fitncookies January 8, 2014 at 6:15 am

I eat oats for breakfast, sometimes mixing it up with French Toast. Cereal is usually a snack at some point for me if I want it. It just doesn’t keep my full long enough to be breakfast. I had Salsa Chicken last night for dinner.. delicious!

12 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles January 8, 2014 at 6:16 am

I’m not really a fan of frozen raspberries on their own–they need to be mixed with other fruit or I feel it’s just a little too sour. I do, however, LOVE pomegranate arils, sour or not. :) A few summers ago, I made pancakes for myself every morning…man, was that a chore. Now I just throw a couple of eggs on a pan and find some easier things. :) I still can’t handle that cake. Totally wouldn’t mind if you sent some to me… ;)
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..That Awkward 38 Year Old Living In Her Parent’s BasementMy Profile

13 Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom January 8, 2014 at 6:17 am

I always LOVE your photography. oh and Brinner is always a Winner!
Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom recently posted..Get me out of hereMy Profile

14 Lauren-Kate January 8, 2014 at 6:20 am

I am so having breakfast for dinner tonight! The question is do I save the banana in my desk drawer to make pancakes or shall I go for a sweet potato, fried egg number? Breakfast is definitely my favourite meal, I could eat it all day long! I normally have porridge with a ridiculous amount of cinnamon and nuts. Pancake toppings – drippy nut butter and honey all the way!

15 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Seeing as I’m kind of on a pancake kick right now, I say go for the cakes… especially if you plan on topping them with nut butter and honey <– best.combo.ever.

16 Lauren-Kate January 8, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I had a massive fail and left my lone banana in my drawer :( . I had to defy all said options and went with fluffy egg porridge (trust me it is good), coconut oil, lashings of nut butter and cinnamon :) Satisfied!!!

17 Jen @ SavedbytheKale January 8, 2014 at 6:21 am

I almost always start my day w/ either a green smoothie or I juice some fruits and veggies. Every now and make an omelette.
My absolute favorite pancake topping is ginger syrup. It is delicious and will seriously change your life, or at least your pancakes :)
and for dinner I tried out a recipe from It’s All Good…the Posole and it was so simple to make and delicious. You may want to check that one out. It was my first experience with hominy. I only used half as much of the hominy that the recipe called for and I liked it that way.
Your pancakes look amazing and now I want some :)
Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted..Curried Sweet Potato SoupMy Profile

18 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I’m embarrassed to admit that I actually had to Google what hominy was, but that soup definitely looks delicious — especially on a day like today when Mother Nature decided we haven’t quite had enough snow yet :roll:

19 Carly @ Snack Therapy January 8, 2014 at 6:22 am

That cake is just too damn beautiful for anyone’s good. It’s 5:20am here and my stomach is now begging my brain for cake. My breakfast is usually either Greek yogurt with fruit and maybe some kind of topping, kefir with fruit, or a smoothie with fruit and yogurt. Notice a theme here?
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..CurrentlyMy Profile

20 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat January 8, 2014 at 6:25 am

Yay for brinner!!! I love having pancakes for dinner! That’s something I end up doing fairly often and of course, yours look delicious and I’m excited for the recipe!

I usually have oats, eggs or a smoothie for breakfast, and when I do make pancakes, my favorite toppings are nut butter, maple syrup or honey and sliced banana.

For dinner last night, we had sausage and peppers that I made over the weekend. Yum!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #27 – A Recipe ReviewMy Profile

21 Marina @ Lazy for Diet January 8, 2014 at 6:32 am

I won’t be able simply to choose favourites of a breakfast. I am simply broken off between eggs and porridge. Equally I love both that, and that. Now I at an “oat” stage. I enjoy week the chocolate… That is really strange because I usually try to change fillers for oats. Probably, chocolate the best decision is simple? ;)
Marina @ Lazy for Diet recently posted..#WIAW: НетипичноеMy Profile

22 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Chocolate is -always- the best decision. Happy Wednesday, Marina!

23 Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com January 8, 2014 at 6:33 am

Oh my goodness – you are such a tease! Those cake pictures…they convinced me to hop on a plane and cab it to your doorstep PRONTO as maybe you need help finishing off that cake?!
Its funny you had banana oat pancakes – I made banana walnut pancakes on Monday and have yet to post the recipe too! I love topping my pancakes with melted nutbutter – AB/PB and honey or chocolate or all 3!
Last night for dinner was soup – chicken and veggie soup!
Be on your doorstep in a few minutes with spoon in hand! :)
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..1st WIAW of 2014My Profile

24 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Anytime, lady! I’ll keep some fresh coffee brewin’ :D

25 Autumn Wieland January 8, 2014 at 6:35 am

I usually go between protein pancakes or toast for breakfast, but i agree, i hate having the hassle in the morning or trying to make breakfast and also pack a lunch :P not my cup of tea!
I try to restrain myself with the syrup sometimes by microwaving frozen blueberries (they get so juicy!), but sometimes you just got to load on the good stuff! like, a lot!

26 Mary Frances January 8, 2014 at 6:36 am

Oh man, that cake is killing me. I wishing I had those pancakes for breakfast until I saw the cake and then it was all over ;) I actually prefer pancakes for lunch or dinner, too, and am having some today! I usually have cereal for breakfast; a mix of bran flakes/granola/fruit. I’ll have to try the snack plate idea! I like snack foods better anyways, so why not make a meal out of it? I really enjoyed this post, Amanda! Thumbs up!
Mary Frances recently posted..Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter MilkshakeMy Profile

27 Jessie January 8, 2014 at 6:42 am

That cake – oh myfingwordiwantsomeofitright now — however, I am a bit upset that you never included any kitkat to the mix =( =(

For breakfast, I usually have eggs, smoothies, waffles, or pancakes. Never oatmeal though.
Jessie recently posted..WIAW: January 7, 2014My Profile

28 Kim@hungryhealthygirl January 8, 2014 at 6:46 am

What an awesome day of eats! From those pancakes to that piece of chocolate cake….Yum! I can’t wait for the pancake recipe and I’m kind of with you, pancakes are a little bit too much trouble for mornings. And your lunch actually looks really good to me. Have a great Wednesday!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Breakfast x 2My Profile

29 Sarah January 8, 2014 at 6:53 am

Snacks lunches ftw :) I have a feeling today is going to be an endless eating day. I just finished breakfast and I’m already hungry again. It’s only 9. Yikes. Pancakes for dinner sound SO GOOD. I crave bagels in the morning now so I don’t feel like pancakes anymore which is a bummer because I love them, but dinner is another story. And that cake… Yum. Leftover cake is the best.
Sarah recently posted..Cookie Butter CookiesMy Profile

30 Amber January 8, 2014 at 7:02 am

I’ll gladly send warm weather in trade for a slice of that delicious looking cake. :)
Amber recently posted..Spicy Tuscan SoupMy Profile

31 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm

You’ve got yourself a deal! :D

32 Lucie January 8, 2014 at 7:08 am

This is my favorite WIAW ever, because it simply contains all the food I love. Pancakes for dinner? Hell yes please!! And I would eat that cake for any meal of the day, I swear.
As for the pancake toppings, I love maple syrup mixed with almond butter or greek yogurt.
Last night I cooked at my friends place, Sweet Potato fries, side salad and chicken soaked in coconut milk. I can’t complain.
Lucie recently posted..WIAW#46 – My Vacation MealsMy Profile

33 Sarah January 8, 2014 at 7:09 am

Greek yogurt and pomegranate arils is one of the best combos ever. I cannot stand wasting food either.
For breakfast I usually have Greek yogurt with frozen mixed berries and Ezekiel bread toasted and topped with almond butter. I would love to have oatmeal but I find it to be uber-filling, when i start the day with a bowl of oats I have no appetite for the rest of the day.
Favorite pancake topping is either warm homemade applesauce or nut butter.
What did I have for dinner last night? Think, think…Oh, yeah, a wrap with avocado, hummus, ground turkey breast and a ton of veggies. When I say wrap I mean eat most of the over-stuffed filling with a fork and then finish the meal off with a soggy tortilla.
Hope you have a day of yummy eats!

34 Kat January 8, 2014 at 7:14 am

oh my goodness…that cake….
and in our household, we are a fan of the brinner. In fact, we probably do waffles or biscuits and eggs for dinner once a week or so. Ninja requests it :)
Kat recently posted..WIAW:exhausted eatsMy Profile

35 Ang @ Nutty for Life January 8, 2014 at 7:22 am

I think I already said this on your Insta, but when I saw that pic of the pancakes I was like darrrrrrrrn it, I knew I should have made pancakes for dinner like I’d wanted. But then I was like, maybe I should have some chicken and vegetables since I’m sick and my day had consisted of basically just almond butter and apples. Sick problems, I tell ya. I can’t wait to see the recipe! Thanks for the cake assault. I’m just living vicariously through you I guess.
Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted..Two Yoga Resources I’ve Been Loving LatelyMy Profile

36 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Awwr! Well you can always whip up some pancakes for dinner tonight :D And I hope you feel better soon <3

37 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life January 8, 2014 at 7:24 am

Breakfast for dinner is not a bad thing :D I love love love pancakes but since I don’t have a kitchen easily accessible to me at college, I rarely make any! And now I’m craving some, so thanks :D
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..WIAW 1/8- Return of Dorm FoodMy Profile

38 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 8, 2014 at 7:25 am

I’m diggin’ oatmeal for breakfast lately, and I have been for pretty much months now. It’s quick, easy, filling, and healthy – my kinda breakfast! ;)

Mmm I love breakfast for dinner! We just had quiche for dinner the other night, and it was spot on. I don’t really discriminate when it comes to pancakes and their toppings, but I would say the combo of PB + maple syrup is definitely a favorite. Love the sweet + salty combo!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Hungry Beast ModeMy Profile

39 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee January 8, 2014 at 7:37 am

So pumped for that pancake recipe and even more pumped that you are on the pancake train! Toot toot… welcome aboard (<– woah, lame!)
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..Balanced Travel Eats {WIAW 26}My Profile

40 Chelsea January 8, 2014 at 7:38 am

You just *exactly* explained my relationship with pancakes. Creating them stresses me out. They go from perfect to burnt in about negative 2 nano seconds. And then flipping them? Yeah. That is usually a disaster. I tend to do waffles. And also not for breakfast. Because who has time for that?
Chelsea recently posted..Creamy Chipotle Mac ‘n’ Cheese [Vegan/Gluten Free]My Profile

41 Jenn@ Mark My Mile! January 8, 2014 at 7:39 am

I LOVE syrup and peanut butter on pancakes. Last night I had about 4 bowls of Life cereal with peanut butter and banana for dinner…was too lazy to go to the store and cook!
Jenn@ Mark My Mile! recently posted..Total blogger fail…My Profile

42 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Cereal for dinner is always a good choice, in my books. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve “settled” for cereal when I was too lazy to make anything else. And when I say settled, I mean secretly super pumped about it ;)

43 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) January 8, 2014 at 7:42 am

Those pancakes look amazing, I do enjoy pancakes for dinner, but only usually on Shrove Tuesday! Maple syrup all the way for pancake topping, and for usual breakfasts at the moment it’s a rotation of green smoothies, porridge or my coconut flour microwave bake!

44 Nichole C January 8, 2014 at 8:04 am

oooh, I can’t wait for the pancake recipe! Love all your food photos.
Nichole C recently posted..Whole 30 Challenge {wiaw #6}My Profile

45 Miss Polkadot January 8, 2014 at 8:11 am

If your birthday cake tasted just half as good as it looks [and we know it tasted twice as amazing as it looks] then … I want you to ship me one for my birthday. Especially since you used whipped cream instead of buttercream because I grew up with the former and the latter is too sweet for my liking.
Your Lucky Charms story reminds me of my sister and me begging my mum to make buttermilk soup – despite not enjoying the soup but being ALL about the little semolina dumplings she’d prepare as an add-in.
Breakfast has been oatmeal with caramelized banana and coconut flour topped with peanut butter for the past weeks. Keeping it semi-normal at the office :).
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Edible lessons in satisfactionMy Profile

46 Hollie January 8, 2014 at 8:18 am

Everything looks so good. I like to have pancakes, waffles or eggs. I used to eat a lot more pancakes a couple years back but lately have been in an egg mood. That being said I can always throw down on some pancakes. HA ha
Hollie recently posted..WIAW: SugarlessMy Profile

47 Cori @ olivetorun January 8, 2014 at 8:21 am

I always go for eggs in the morning- omelet form, scrambled, it doesn’t matter. I could really go for some pancakes for dinner this week… nothing beats breakfast for dinner.

Oh, and while that cake looks delicious, I don’t ever care about cake for my birthday, but I do care about ice cream :)
Cori @ olivetorun recently posted..Meet My Second Main ManMy Profile

48 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:11 pm

As much as I love ice cream, I really can’t imagine having it when it’s -30 outside. That being said, I used to love the DQ ice cream cakes before they slapped an allergy warning on ‘em :mad:

49 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 8, 2014 at 8:24 am

It has been waaaay to long since I had breakfast for dinner. I think that I’m going to break out my breadmaker this weekend, so I’m thinking french toast for dinner early next week. Yup…that’d be nice. As for breakfasts, I actually planned on having a smoothie this morning, but apparently my blender has decided to bite the dust. Boo. A typical breakfast for me is usually oatmeal or a protein pancake.
And I love that you eat cake for a snack. It doesn’t get annnny better than that!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Winter is Going to Turn Me Into a Hermit.My Profile

50 Jen@Twenty-Something&Starving January 8, 2014 at 8:28 am

Wow – that cake looks amazing! The photos definitely do it justice! I change up my breakfast week to week – this week I’ve been nomming on my chocolate chip banana oat muffins. Usually something oatty or eggy are the standards though!!
Jen@Twenty-Something&Starving recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #9My Profile

51 Parita @ myinnershakti January 8, 2014 at 8:35 am

THAT cake! Wow. I need it in my life now. Good job, Amanda!

And my favorite pancake topping is PB and chocolate chips, but a close second would be fresh strawberries and a little bit of maple syrup. ANNND now I’m craving pancakes. :)_
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Don’t Say “I’m Fine” When You’re Obviously NotMy Profile

52 Christine@ Apple of My Eye January 8, 2014 at 8:42 am

Great eats! I actually feel the same about pancakes. Not only are they just more work in the mornings than I want to put in, but I usually go a little overboard with the syrup and it ends up too sweet for breakfast haha!

AND GIRL. THAT CAKE. Drool.
Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted..WIAW: A Day In The LifeMy Profile

53 Amy@Long Drive Journey January 8, 2014 at 8:45 am

Totally with you on the mixed berries thing. I was making a smoothie with frozen mixed berries today and I had to keep picking around all of the stuff I didn’t want. Last night I ate a heaping plate of pasta with tomato sauce. There was also cheese involved. Quickest, most delicious dinner ever.
Amy@Long Drive Journey recently posted..The best (and only) veggie burger I’ve ever hadMy Profile

54 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Ohh man, making smoothies with frozen raspberries is the worst — the seeds just do me in every time :mad:

55 Caitlyn@BareBalance January 8, 2014 at 8:57 am

Oh, wow! Yummy day of food, for sure.
I personally do not like pancakes! I have always been more of a waffle kind of gal! But when I do have pancakes, I like to top them with honey and blueberry jam, or almond/peanut butter. :) I have also done pumpkin during the fall

Great post!
C

56 Yaz January 8, 2014 at 8:59 am

That.cake. :O looks gobsmackingly amazing haha.

I like to mix my breakfast up when I’ve got time in the morning, so it varies between omelettes, pancakes, oatmeal. But when I go back to university (2.5 weeks away sob sob) I tend to take baked oatmeal with something like HB eggs. But I’ve recently bought a bowl thing that’s meant to keep good warm up until lunchtime so will be trying oatmeal with that to take with me!

Dinner last night I had homemade wedges, chicken with swede and brocolli on the side :)

57 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2014 at 9:03 am

We are so alike – I totally used to buy boxes of cereal that had marshmallows or even raisins in them just to pick them out lol….And I love picking the cherries out of the frozen very cherry blend from TJ….I do like pancakes but never seem to really eat them anymore. I always think I will want them for dinner but then dinner comes, and I don’t want them. Lunch and I don’t really get along either – unless I rename lunch breakfast and have oats and yogurt with peanut butter.

58 AC January 8, 2014 at 9:09 am

Breakfast is usually berries and an egg or a few little turkey sausages

Ok, well…I’m actually not a pancake girl. My dad’s French Canadian and makes the most DELICIOUS crepes…a little oilier (I know that sounds weird) and thicker than a normal French crepe, and we top with maple syrup (none of that “table syrup” bs) or granulated sugar and sliced strawberries :) But I don’t like normal waffles or pancakes

Last night was a little funky. I was at work late…so I ended up having steamed broccoli and cauliflower with balsamic drizzled over top, a few slices of deli turkey and a few spoonfuls of dark chocolate peanut butter

59 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I -adore- crepes, and I think that’s the breakfast I might try to tackle next. My mom used to make them for me all the time when I was living at home, and my favourite way to eat them was always stuffed with cream cheese and blueberry jam. Oh swoon.

60 Nicole @ FruitnFitness January 8, 2014 at 9:10 am

That cake! I want to jump through the screen and come eat a piece of that with you. I’m not usually a big cake person but that looks so good. Last night on IG it looked like lots of people were having brinner, I had eggs and chex cereal. I want to make pancakes soon and top them with peanut butter and banana!
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..Trying New Things – Butternut Squash, Lentil, Zucchini and Apple Hot SaladMy Profile

61 sara @ Fitcupcaker January 8, 2014 at 9:10 am

your bowl of oatmeal looks so tiny, like its in a little ramekin…but it does look tasty! Does it just look like that or is it really that small of a portion? I still NEED to make your homemade applesauce!!
sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- Eats Lately: Cheesy Brussel’sMy Profile

62 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:19 pm

:lol: It just looks like that. It’s in a ramekin, but the ramekin is the size of a normal bowl.

63 Megan (The Lyons' Share) January 8, 2014 at 9:26 am

I’m the same way with pancakes! I like them but so rarely end up eating them for breakfast unless it’s the weekend and I have more time. I’m a pumpkin yogurt girl year-round … I just love my combo of pumpkin, chia seeds, cinnamon, plain Greek yogurt, oats, and berries too much to give it up :).
Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted..How to Increase Exercise Without Getting InjuredMy Profile

64 Karey @ Nutty About Health January 8, 2014 at 9:30 am

I used to be a pancake girl for breakfast before going Paleo… & found it just spiked my blood sugar levels & left me feeling hungry not too long after. Now days I’m filling my plate with 3 whole eggs, veggies, & usually some kabocha or sweet potatoes.
I had to laugh at your Lucky Charms marshmallow story… cause my sister & I used to fight over that ALL the time growing up. She’d sit & eat all of the marshmallows out of the box & then I’d come along, ready to enjoy a bowl for breakfast… & only the plain crappy oat things! I’d be so mad. Then our parents would refuse to buy another box until that one was finished. Grr.
Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted..WIAW: Arctic Weather EatsMy Profile

65 Michelle @ Esculent Dreams January 8, 2014 at 9:38 am

Just read an article saying that “pancakes for dinner” will be a hot trend for year 2014 – looks like you’re ahead of the pack! My typical breakfast consists of eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, or fruit + bars if I’m really in a rush. (although dinner is basically whatever breakfast I didn’t choose that day ;) hehe) Can’t wait for your pancake recipe!
Michelle @ Esculent Dreams recently posted..WIAW #10My Profile

66 Lauren January 8, 2014 at 9:44 am

The cake looks like a hunk of fudge! Please send me some fudge-y ness :)

I don’t really eat breakfast. It’s not my thing, but breakfast for dinner/lunch/midnight snack? YES PLEASE. My favorite has to be oatmeal, but I’ve been on a waffle kick lately. Anything warm!!
Maple syrup and chocolate chips for my waffles… And, really, any of my breakfast foods!

Have a great day!

67 Diana @sosmallsostrong January 8, 2014 at 9:47 am

I’m with you Amanda! I can eat breakfast any time any place and I’m always kind of meeeeeh about lunch. I may try your plate of snacks idea..hope that’s ok!? :)

I tend to make my breakfast selection in phases. I’m currently on an eggs, veggie, toast run. Then I’ll switch over to egg & oat cakes with fruit and syrup. One thing always holds true. Eggs are ALWAYS involved!
Diana @sosmallsostrong recently posted..This Guy is Going to Annoy Me!My Profile

68 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Definitely hop on the snack plate train! The more the merrier :D And I’m the same way with going through breakfast phases, only mine tend to last a year or so :lol:

69 Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom January 8, 2014 at 9:47 am

I usually have oatmeal, a smoothie, or greek yogurt with fruit and cereal/granola in it for breakfast. I am a total pancake hater…so I don’t like them any time of the day. I do like waffles, though…and I like peanut butter on top of them :) For dinner last night, I made roasted butternut squash fettuccine with broccoli pesto. it was delicious and heavenly :)
Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted..One Year Blog-iversaryMy Profile

70 Nicole January 8, 2014 at 9:55 am

So when I’m by myself, I’m still kind of weird about my breakfasts and hold off on having heavier ones so I end up eating egg whites or oatmeal. But if I’m with my boyfriend, we always try new recipes, so we’ll end up making massive omelets, French toast, or go with cereal and berries if we’re feeling lazy. If we feel lazy AND super hungry, we drive to IHOP :D

Oh man, I looooove maple syrup too! The smokey flavor is absolutely perfect. When I was younger, I’d always do the strawberry or boysenberry syrups, but as I got older, I opted for maple.

Dinner last night was a grilled chicken, spinach, and mushroom Panini :)

71 Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food January 8, 2014 at 10:13 am

Oh my gosh, that cake! I die. I like butter and maple syrup on my pancakes, and maybe some fruit. Dinner last night was turkey meatballs and spaghetti!
Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted..10-15-20 WorkoutMy Profile

72 Andrea@pencilsandpancakes January 8, 2014 at 10:16 am

Must.have.that.czke.
Andrea@pencilsandpancakes recently posted..What does a school teacher do on vacation?My Profile

73 Christina @ the athletarian January 8, 2014 at 10:31 am

Keep assaulting. I love those cake pictures!!

What do you usually have for breakfast? I’m with you on the oats. I just don’t have the patience for anything else and I’m usually running late in the morning since I try to get a workout in before work. Oats are the quickest and the most delicious, in my opinion!!

What are your favourite pancake toppings? I’m with you on the maple syrup…you sure we’re not related?? ;)

What did you have for dinner last night? I went out for dinner and had soup and bruschetta pizza!
Christina @ the athletarian recently posted..This post is on DATING and PIZZAMy Profile

74 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I think we’re just Canadian ;)

75 Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair January 8, 2014 at 10:35 am

I’m with you that pancake making is way too stressful in the morning. I’m a horrible flipper. I’ve been trying to perfect my skills for years and it never seems to get better. Based on your photo, you’re a pro! Can’t wait for the recipe.
Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted..Weekly Workouts: Goodbye 2013, Hello 2014!My Profile

76 David crichton January 8, 2014 at 10:39 am

That’s one mean looking birthday cake, Amanda. I think I’ll order mine for October. As much as I love my fine dining dinners, I wish I could eat breakfast three times a day. Especially when it looks like yours.
David crichton recently posted..Five Spice Duck Breast with Firecracker RiceMy Profile

77 Meghan@Clean Eats Fast Feets January 8, 2014 at 11:09 am

Please feel free to send those end of bag baddies my way, especially if they contain raspberries. They are my absolutely favorite fruit (even above the almighty banana…shhh), and I will eat them anyday of the week and twice on Tuesdays.
Leftover birthday cake is fabulous and so’s having enough left over to do another photo shoot when the lighting has improved. I’ve given up for the winter. Unless it’s the weekend and I’m actually home, good photos aren’t happing.
By the way, this is random, but I’m loving the broccoli. I brought some to one of our Christmas dinners and it was my first broccoli in months. Now that my CSA is done until Spring, I’m back to being able to buy whatever veggies I please, and I can tell you broccoli is going on the list (along with cauliflower and asparagus). I’m super excited. I should also probably be embarassed to admit that, but I’m not. :)

78 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm

No shame! My stomach rebelled against broccoli for the longest time, and I can’t even tell you how giddy I was to reintroduce it into my diet after months and months of going without it.

79 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 11, 2014 at 7:55 am

I bought mass amounts of broccoli yesterday. Far be it from me to buy normal portions sizes. I don’t even know how to work with those anymore, which means lots of broccoli for me!!!
Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted..An Apple A DayMy Profile

80 Davida @ The Healthy Maven January 8, 2014 at 11:10 am

If I had the energy I would eat pancakes everyday! Scratch that, I’d probably choose waffles. But you can’t beat the convenience of oatmeal!
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..Bike Boredom Blaster WorkoutMy Profile

81 Caitlin January 8, 2014 at 11:13 am

Mm that cake!! Need some now! Haha I have jumped back on the oats train this week but like to rotate between eggs, pancakes, cereal and bagels. If I’m making pancakes, though, I make the batter the night before so all I have to do is cook them when I get home from a run or the gym! Topping wise for pancakes I usually stick with butter or nut butter and maple syrup. Sometimes, I’ll do blueberries but I usually just prefer plain :) And dinner last night was bbq pulled pork over a sweet potato…thank you crock pot…and Joe ;)
Caitlin recently posted..Stay Warm and Check It OutMy Profile

82 Ashley @ Broc Blog January 8, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Pancakes for dinner is one of my favorite things but definitely not as awesome as that cake! That looks so good.
Ashley @ Broc Blog recently posted..Back To Better EatingMy Profile

83 Kaitlin January 8, 2014 at 1:23 pm

All the food looks wonderful but my sweet tooth is calling out for that cake! Divine :) Have a great rest of your week!
Kaitlin recently posted..Eating Through Chelsea MarketMy Profile

84 Lisa C. January 8, 2014 at 1:25 pm

So does this mean you had cake for dinner? You’re my kind of girl! ;)

My breakfasts tend to be snacky. I don’t like to eat a heavy breakfast. So it’s usually scoops of dry cereal, coffee, a few bites of fruit. Sometimes I have a bowl of fruit topped with yogurt and nuts.

Pancake toppings? sauteed bananas!

Dinner last night? My tummy has been off for several days so I just had some quinoa with an egg frittata. I did end up having pretzels dipped in peanut butter and chocolate chips later in the evening though….

85 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Sadly it was just pancakes for dinner — the cake happened some time around mid-afternoon. And I hope your stomach feels better soon! Mine was acting up a few weeks ago, and it’s seriously one of the worst feelings.

86 Kristy @ Southern In Law January 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm

That cake looks so incredibly good. You really can’t go wrong with a fudgy chocolate cake.

For breakfast, I pretty much always have one of my breakfast bakes – which is basically eating healthy cake for breakfast :P Usually they’re topped with peanut butter or cream cheese and devoured in 0.01 seconds. I make them in advance in big batches and freeze them so they’re fast, easy and oh so delicious.

My favourite pancake toppings have to be either melty peanut butter or lately, I’ve been OBSESSED with mascarpone. Mix it with a teensy dash of maple syrup and it’s incredible.

Last night, dinner was Mushroom Pesto Pasta for me. I am currently OBSESSED with mushrooms.
Kristy @ Southern In Law recently posted..SIL in Bali: Our Six Course Degustation DinnerMy Profile

87 Megan @ Meg Go Run January 8, 2014 at 1:31 pm

90% of the time I have Special K Protein Plus for breakfast. Last night I had an omelette in a wrap for dinner. Hey, bfast for dinner!!
Megan @ Meg Go Run recently posted..What it’s like to run the Boston MarathonMy Profile

88 lindsay January 8, 2014 at 1:34 pm

how did you get them so thin? they look like crepes. must be gluten. damn gluten. Can you make me the cake GF? I know, i’m bossy. LOL!
lindsay recently posted..Wednesday Warm-Up: 4 New Running DrillsMy Profile

89 lindsay January 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

p.s

i make pancakes for dinner for that very reason… more patience. Breakfast, ya not so much. Unless it’s slow sunday!
lindsay recently posted..Wednesday Warm-Up: 4 New Running DrillsMy Profile

90 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 1:50 pm

No promises on the cake, but the pancakes -are- actually gluten-free :D

91 Bailey January 8, 2014 at 1:36 pm

We should develop some sort of mixed fruit sharing system because the raspberries and pomegranate arils are my favourite part of that particular bag (and I’m always left wondering what to do with the strawberries at the end)

I tend to go the toast with nut butter route for breakfast because I’m super dysfunctional in the morning before class and don’t trust myself to operate any device more dangerous than a toaster.

A butter/maple syrup combo is my favourite pancake topping. It has the perfect sweet/salty/rich/mapley (don’t tell me that’s not a word) balance going on

Ha! I went the frozen pesto pizza route for dinner last night. Elaborate, right?

Also I just have to add that your birthday cake looks spectacular and was well worth the extra pictures!

92 Tiff @ Love, Sweat & Beers January 8, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Mmmm, cake AND breakfast for dinner!?! Winning!
Tiff @ Love, Sweat & Beers recently posted..Winter BreakMy Profile

93 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 8, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I usually have either a hot cereal like quinoa flakes, or creamy buckwheat, or cold cereal, but on the weekends I go crazy with pancakes and waffles! I always top mine with protein “frosting” which is just protein powder mixed with water :)
P.S. those banana oat pancakes look like perfections, can’t wait ;)
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted..Red Winter Kale SaladMy Profile

94 Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health January 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm

awaiting for the pancake recipe…
Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted..Raw Energy BitesMy Profile

95 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! January 8, 2014 at 2:55 pm

It has been TOO LONG since I’ve had pancakes; now I really want them!
Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted..Falafel PieMy Profile

96 Arman @ thebigmansworld January 8, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Pancakes for dinner. Amazing. The best part? You have fulfilled one of my 2014 goals already 9 days in…I am impressed. The fact that you have a recipe coming too? The icing on the cake. Speaking of icing….THAT. CAKE. Is 8.49am too early for cake cravings? Never.

Seeing as I’m eating pancakes now, that might answer the question. The topping? Maple syrup mixed with cream cheese and cinnamon. The joys of experimenting.
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..WIAW- Cleaning out the fridgeMy Profile

97 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Confession: I’ve been known to give in to cake cravings at 9 AM, so no… 8:49 definitely isn’t too early.

98 Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run January 8, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Coming from a chocolate meh-er, that cake looks. so. freaking. amazing! You are so good at food photography!

99 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves January 8, 2014 at 3:31 pm

My friends and I were JUST talking about Lucky Charms today. I agree that the marshmallows were the best part. That will always be my favorite childhood cereal.
I’m also with you in that pancakes are amazing, but they do take a little too much time and effort for a morning meal. Pancakes and waffles are really only for weekend breakfasts in our household. Even then, I need a bowl of yogurt or something to hold me over while I watch and flip the pancakes.
I dress my pancakes quite interestingly— a dollop of Greek yogurt, nut/seed butter, and a drizzle of maple syrup. :)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: Super SnackyMy Profile

100 Kim January 8, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Yum to everything!! I love trying new pancake recipe and flavors. Lately I am loving pumpkin pancakes with cream cheese and cinnamon on top :)
Kim recently posted..Just a Bit on the Chilly SideMy Profile

101 Julie January 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I typically have something warm for breakfast like pancakes, but if I have no time or have leftovers, Greek yogurt with protein powder and berries too.

I love maple syrup on top of my pancakes of course!

102 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen January 8, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Haha I feel the same way about pancakes, which is why I rarely make them for breakfast. Plus, I like foods that you eat out of bowls better. :P But when I do make pancakes, I like to top them with banana, soy nut butter/almond butter, and maple syrup!
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..What I’m loving latelyMy Profile

103 Lyric January 8, 2014 at 6:22 pm

You can send me your pomegranate seeds and raspberries because I love that part of the berries! I love basically all breakfast foods but I go through phases. Sometimes its oats, pancakes, eggs etc. and then I eat that one breakfast food for like a month straight and then move on to my next favourite… Syrup all the way for pancake toppings; the real stuff only.
Lyric recently posted..WIAW: Filled with Almond ButterMy Profile

104 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I go through those phases too, only mind tend to last for a year+ :lol:

105 Alex @ therunwithin January 8, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I’m very late to this party but man I want that cake. it just looks amazing and I don’t even really like chocolate
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Supernova Girl.My Profile

106 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I would put stale Peeps on it, just for you <3

107 Eating 4 Balance January 8, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Really, anything else other than maple syrup on pancakes is blaspheme. Sure, nut butter, berries, banana slices, apple slices, chocolate chips, etc…. Those are all amazing toppings. WITH maple syrup. No ORs.

Your snack plates look perfect. I don’t get people that can only have one food item for a meal. A meal must consist of at least two. Preferably more.

Wow. That CAKE. Keep the pictures coming.
Eating 4 Balance recently posted..What I Made in 2013My Profile

108 Laura January 8, 2014 at 7:32 pm

For the first time…ever…I woke up this morning craving eggs. I NEVER crave eggs for breakfast. Lunch and dinner? Always. But I gave in and made some scrambled eggs this morning.

Also, I admire the courage you have in order to eat squash AND broccoli in one sitting. God bless your belly.
Laura recently posted..Spill it, Sundays #3My Profile

109 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Sometimes I think about trying eggs for breakfast just to see how I would feel after ‘em… As for brocco and squash in one sitting, I’m okay as long as I keep my portions on the smaller side… and pop a digestive enzyme :lol:

110 Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome January 8, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I’m not much of a cake person but that looks amazing! Happy belated birthday! I’m a blog reading slacker lately!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted..WIAW – NormalcyMy Profile

111 Cassie January 8, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Those pancakes look epic!! AND THAT CAKE!!

I have smoothies when it’s hot out and oatmeal when it’s cold out… except I’ve been craving a smoothie the past few days I just know I’ll have a hard time warming up after…

lately on my pancakes I’ve been eating greek yogurt with peanut butter mixed in, mainly because those two things are my favorite things ever.
Cassie recently posted..PB&J OatmealMy Profile

112 Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet January 8, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Holy cake!!!! That looks delicious. For breakfast I normally go to my chia and flax protein pancakes, but I think I am going back to a good bowl of oats starting tomorrow.

113 Ari @ Ari's Menu January 8, 2014 at 8:58 pm

That cake….

114 Brittany January 8, 2014 at 8:59 pm

DEAR LORD that birthday cake…perfect way to end this post. I’ve nearly lost my train of thought for this comment!! HAHA! I love pancakes, but whenever I eat them in the morning I feel a bit blah the rest of the day, so I prefer them mid/end day as more of a treat!
Brittany recently posted..Post Vacation BluesMy Profile

115 Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia January 8, 2014 at 9:07 pm

your pancakes are perfect! and that cake looks like it is too!

116 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change January 8, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I like to do overnight oats, but most days, I liked to sauté apple slices and chicken sausage in coconut oil with cinnamon. It is so so good! I’m really simple when it comes to breakfast. M and I like to make pancakes for dinner and its actually on the meal plan for this week – my favorite topping is homemade jam. I also have a love-hate (most hate) relationship with lunch. I never know what to do!
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..Five Things Friday – 1My Profile

117 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 9, 2014 at 5:02 am

Lunch is a bugger, but I definitely recommend trying out a snack plate — it almost reminds me of being a little kid and getting a packed lunch to school :D

118 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change January 9, 2014 at 11:23 am

Such a good idea! Maybe I’ll play around with it when I’m on vacation! I’ll have all day to plan things out and no stresses!
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..Thinking Out Loud / #1.My Profile

119 Alice @ Daily Sweet Potato January 8, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Those pancakes looks gorgeous… *eagerly waiting for recipe*….
For breakfast, I generally go with toast and eggs… maybe a sweet potato ;)

120 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate January 8, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I used to do the same thing with my frozen mixed berries so eventually I just start freezing my own in separate bags.

That cake…I swear. It doesn’t even look like cake. It looks like fudgy heaven delicousness disguised as birthday cake. Oh my.
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..What I Ate in Southern CaliforniaMy Profile

121 Leigha @ Minougirl January 9, 2014 at 5:48 am

I looove pancakes, but I’m with ya on not being able to make them in the morning. I’m way too hungry to wait to mix, flip, etc. And I suck at flipping so then I get crabby because I murder the pancakes. Oh well. ALL of these eats look absolutely delicious! And my birthday is next Saturday… I might have to request that cake! :)
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..WIAW – Last Day OffMy Profile

122 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli January 16, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Oh my GAWWWWWWD Amanda! You’re killing me with the cake pictures! Seriously…it looks amazing…. ugh, sorry, I had to scroll back up and look at it again! ;) Oh hey, guess what! Foodgawker accepted my German Chocolate [Sex] Cake on the FIRST try! *fist bump* Really though? Why do I put so much stock into their opinions of my pictures?

Confession: Most if not all of the pancakes that appear on my blog are actually lunch! ;) I find I have much more patience for cooking AND photography later in the day when I’m less likely to chew my arm off! Ha!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..I’m Sexy and It’s Snowin’!My Profile

123 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 16, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Woo! Congrats on the acceptance :D And is it even possible to take food pics in the morning now with the bad lighting? Even taking pictures of my breakfasts for WIAW has gotten to be a pain in the butt… I need to start making oats for lunch instead. Or, you know, summer just needs to come :D