. monthly favorites – best of the best .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on August 30, 2013

I don’t know where the heck August went, but my iPhone tells me that it’s almost over, so unless it’s as confused with the date as it is with the place I wake up, I guess we’ll be welcoming September very soon (#happydance). But let’s not get ahead of ourselves…

The end of another month means it’s time for another monthly favorites post. BUT… I’m going to put a bit of a spin on it this time around.  You know how I just celebrated Spoons’ birthday? Well, I also happened to publish my first monthly favourites posts one year ago, so I thought it would be fun to go back through the last 12 months and see which things I’m still using and loving – kind of like a best of the best.

I know it probably makes more sense to do something like this at the end of December, but this is just the way things worked out so we’re going to roll with it. I’ll try to keep my commentary at a minimum since there are a lot of things to go through and I already explained why I love each of them. So, if you want some more info on something, go ahead and check out the original post it was featured in.

. food .

Cappuccino

Dry cappuccinos September 2012.
Still one of my favourite hot drinks. If it’s not black coffee, it’s a cappuccino.

Harney Tea

Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice tea – October 2012.
I can’t even remember the last time I didn’t start my day with a cup of this tea. Obsessed.

Homemade Applesauce

Chunky Homemade ApplesauceNovember 2012.
I’m not exaggerating when I say I always have a batch of this in my fridge. I finish one just to whip up another.

Stocked Up on AB

Maisie Jane’s roasted almond butterNovember 2012.
No matter how many different ABs I try, this one remains my favourite. All almonds; no added salt, oil, or sugar.

Barefruit Apple Chips

Barefruit Apple ChipsMarch 2013.
I eat these on a daily basis. Sometimes a whole bag at once, and sometimes I try to ration. Crispy and addictive.

Greens+

Genuine Health Greens+ multi+ vitamin supplement – March 2013.
One of the only vitamin supplements my body tolerates. I take a scoop everyday.

Bananas and AB

Frozen bananas – June 2013.
Cold, creamy, and sweet… I probably eat 1 – 1.5 frozen bananas a day.

. beauty .

Lip Butter

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters - August 2012.
If I’m looking for lip colour, I usually reach for these. Nice colour payoff without feeling dry.

Naked2 Left
Naked2 Right

Urban Decay Naked 2 eyeshadow palette - September 2012.
My go-to daily eyeshadow. Great colours, great pigment, great wear.

Aveeno Cream

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing LotionSeptember 2012.
I use this every day, all day. Makes my hands so soft without feeling greasy.

Moroccan Oil

MoroccanOil Light TreatmentNovember 2012.
I use this every time I wash my hair. It helps keep my ends soft and smooth.

Maybelline Concealer

Maybelline SuperStay 24-hour concealerDecember 2012.
Favourite concealer when it comes to coverage and long-wear. Daily staple.

Honey Trap

Lush’s Honey Trap lip balm – January 2013.
Another every day, all day kind of deal. This goes everywhere with me.

Mineralized Skinfinish

MAC’s Mineralized Skinfinish in Soft & Gentle – January 2013.
Daily makeup staple. Adds a pretty, healthy glow to your face.

Baby Shampoo

Johnson’s Baby ShampooJanuary 2013.
What I use to clean my makeup brushes. Wallet-friendly and effective.

Mascara

Maybelline Colossal Volum’ mascara – February 2013.
Daily makeup staple. Gives a high-end mascara look at a fraction of the price.

Macademia Hair Repair Masque

Macadamia Hair Deep Repair MasqueMarch 2013.
I use this once a week to give my hair an extra shot of moisture. Leaves it healthy, soft, and smooth.

Urban Decay Spray

Urban Decay All Nighter makeup setting spray – March 2013.
Daily makeup staple. Makes my makeup “mesh together” and last all day.

Simple Makeup Wipes

Simple Cleansing Facial WipesMarch 2013.
Daily skincare staple. Great for removing even stubborn makeup. Doesn’t leave my skin feeling dry.

St Tropez Tanning Lotion

St. Tropez Self-Tan Bronzing Face LotionApril 2013.
I apply this to my face once every few days. Gives a nice glow with no streaks or orange hues.

Philosophy Cleanser

Philosophy Purity Made Simple Facial CleanserApril 2013.
Daily skincare staple. What I use to wash my face every night and get any gunk off.

MAC Paint Pot

MAC’s Painterly paint potMay 2013.
Daily makeup staple. I use it as an eyeshadow base and to cover up any discoloration on my eyelids.

Tarte Blush

Tarte Amazonian Clay BlushMay 2013.
Daily makeup staple. Favourite blush ever. Doesn’t fade, doesn’t make me break out.

Beautyblender

The Beauty BlenderMay 2013.
Best.beauty tool.ever. Makes makeup go on flawlessly. Daily staple.

Vitamin C Powder

Philosophy’s Turbo Boost C PowderMay 2013.
Daily skincare staple. I mix this into my facial cream and it’s given me a brighter, more even complexion.

Revlon Colorstay

Revlon’s Colorstay liquid foundationJune 2013.
My current favourite foundation. Great coverage and staying power without feeling heavy/cakey.

Tarte Bronzer

Tarte’s Matte BronzerJune 2013.
What I reach for when I want a sunkissed glow. Doesn’t look orange/dirty and stays put.

Dry Brushing

Dry brushingJuly 2013.
Still doing this every morning. Still loving the results.

. odds and ends .

Song of Fire and Ice

Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R Martin – August 2012.
Probably my favourite epic fantasy series. Martin is all sorts of brilliant.

A Favorite Book

My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok – September 2012.
One of my all-time favourite books. I’m sure I’ve read it at least 5+ times.

Pixie Pant

J. Crew Pixie PantsOctober 2012.
Probably the best legging-type pants I’ve ever come across. Makes the legs and butt look fantastic ;)

Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein – October 2012.
On my list of favourite books – one of the few that make me all misty eyed by the end.

The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss – January 2013.
This book… there are no words. It is easily near the top of the list of my all-time favourite books. Maybe top 3…

Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss – February 2013.
The sequel to the book above, and just as good.

Jesus Calling

Jesus Calling daily devotional by Sarah Young – March 2013.
I start pretty much every day with a reading from this book. Beautiful meditations.

. blog .

No Bake Almond Fudge Protein Bars
Nut Butter Collection

It was definitely nice to get back into blogging after taking most of July off…

Did ya make it this far? :lol: I know that was a lot to take in, and I’m sorry – a year is a whole lot of favourites to go through. I have to admit that it was pretty interesting to go back and see what things are still around, though… BUT! it’s high time to put this post to a close, so I’m going to do so by saying…

LONG WEEKEND! WOOP!! :D

And now, give me 3 of your all time favourite / daily staple:
a) foods
b) beauty products
c) random odds and ends

1 Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness August 30, 2013 at 6:09 am

oh what a great idea for a best of the best list!! love this. also im obsessed with those jcrew pixie pants, i wonder if they’re still available even though those were from last year?? i’ll be checking on that as soon as i finish this comment :) some of my consistent favorites are my daily misto, bronzing powder, and i guess bar method. i picked it up last october and its been a constant part of my life since then.
Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted..Top 8 Occasions You’re Surprisingly Not That SleepyMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 10:51 am

I’m pretty sure the Pixie Pants are one of their staple items so they should still be available. They’re a bit pricey as far as leggings go, but they’re worth the investment! SO flattering, and they’re not thin and flimsy so you don’t have to worry about anything showing through.

3 Lucie@FitSwissChick August 30, 2013 at 6:11 am

I am such a fan of homemade applesauce! I am a bit lazy with making it, but when it’s there, it never lasts long!
I am still a MAC girl. I want to look into organic make up soon, but I am having a hard time letting go my beloved amd perfect MAC products. When it comes to cosmetics though, I am a huge fan of Origins – organic and makes my skin look better than ever!
Happy Weekend love! Ps. the package is ready to go :-) so excited!

4 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 10:53 am

It’s so hard to get into more natural cosmetics because, unfortunately, a lot of them aren’t as good :? But I was actually looking at Origins the other day and thinking about picking some up to try… so I think you’ve just convinced me ;) And I’ll be sending yours out on Monday! <3

5 meredith August 30, 2013 at 6:17 am

I need to try that tea as I have notice I am craving tea in the morning more than coffee this week…I love Yogi’s Kava tea. You must try it if you haven’t…I must admit that my daily staples/favorites are changing lately. My go to answer is forever peanut butter but I have found myself not wanting it at every meal as usual yet I think it still counts as a favorite lol…fave beauty product was always Dior Dior Dior but I have been changing that as well over the last few months due to allergies…here is a random odd/end – I am determined to find myself a new handbag that I can write about the next time you ask what I am currently loving lol. This girl needs a new purse! Have a great weekend.
meredith recently posted..The Best of SummerMy Profile

6 Heather August 30, 2013 at 6:20 am

Oh wow, this was great!:) I was slightly excited, ok very excited, to see someone else loves that concealer as much as me!:) I’ve work it for at least six years now!:) I also lived seeing your makeup. I’ve always wanted to try Urban Decay!:) If you feel like experimenting any at all, I just discovered Physician’s Formula BB cream and powder and I’m in love. I tell everyone about that stuff. In the meantime, I’ve got to see about getting some of that Mac shimmer powder:) I love a good shimmer!:)
Heather recently posted..*:.Fab Finds Friday:.*My Profile

7 Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com August 30, 2013 at 6:22 am

I gotta check out “Jesus Calling”, I have been reading and re-reading Charles Cowman’s “Streams in the Desert” for a couple of years now.
This is a GREAT post – while I have been a reader of your posts for about the last month, I have yet to stalk out your earlier posts – so this is a nice way to read some of them :)

Some of my fav foods are: coffee (yes it’s a food group for me), peanut butter, Food Should Taste Good multigrain chips!
I don’t have an extensive beauty list but love Olay and Tresemme Keratin Shampoo/conditioner/leavin conditioner – am a fritzy kind a gal so this works GREAT in summer!
I love Avocados specially baking with them
I love and need a good ol sweat session EVERYDAY!
And I wish someone would invent a stratch and taste screen/taptop cos I want a taste of your no bake almond fudge protein bars!
Oh well – I am just gonna have to try them out this weekend!
Have a happy long weekend :)
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Peanut Butter-Addiction-Fueled August Foodie Pen Pal Adventure!My Profile

8 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

:lol: That scratch and taste idea is brilliant! And you never know… with the way technology is going, it might just happen someday ;) And PLEASE check out Jesus Calling – it’s such an amazing and motivating devotional, and always puts me in such a good frame of mind.

Happy weekend, lovely lady! <3

9 Laura August 30, 2013 at 6:24 am

Ahhh ABC time!
A) Coffee, chocolate (in any form..even milk), peanut butter. Not very creative, am I? BUT it’s almost pumpkin season and by boy and I are off to the bucks to get pumpkin spice lattes this morning!!
B) Dry brushing (your fault!….or rather….thank you :-) ), Burts Bee’s Cuticle Cream, Essie nail polish.
C) Odds and ends??? AHHH. Ummmm….My tablet? Boat shoes. Andddd my keurig? I’m pathetic ha!
Laura recently posted..Pictures, Galore!My Profile

10 Sarah @PickyRunner August 30, 2013 at 6:34 am

I’m not sure if it’s a good or a bad thing that when I saw this post pop up in my bloglovin’ feed, I was confused as to why you were doing a monthly favorites. Until I realized it’s the end of August. Woah. That’s weird… and since I love all things j.crew, I’ll have to give those a shot! I’m still looking to revamp my wardrobe…
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Friday Confessions: Turn it AroundMy Profile

11 Khushboo August 30, 2013 at 6:47 am

Fun recap, girlie! I know you’re a cappucinno fan but have you tried their lattes? I am hooked lately and fortunately they are just as foamy! Narrowing down to just 3 foods as my “all time favorites” is a toughie but I am going to have to go with yogurt, apples (both cooked & applesauce) and eggs- I am yet to get tired of any despite my mass consumption! I know it’s terrible on my part but I am always So lazy to clean my face in the night- those SIMPLE wipes sound ideal for me! Happy Friday, Amanda!
Khushboo recently posted..Friday Favorites: 08/30My Profile

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 10:58 am

I actually started out drinking coffee with lattes (vanilla to be exact), but now I just find them way too milky with not enough of that strong coffee flavour. That’s actually part of the reason I get my cappuccinos dry – I don’t like them too milky.

13 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change August 30, 2013 at 6:48 am

For foods, my first is definitely the Tazo chai latte concentrate with almond milk and coconut creamer. My Clif Builder’s protein bar in chocolate mint. Lastly, it would have to be sweet potatoes; can’t get enough of them!
Moroccan oil is one of my go-to’s – perfect way for me to style my hair. My Urban Decay Naked palette is a must and one of the best birthday presents. And…probably eos lip balm. I have most of the flavors!
Last! Random odds and ends. I always ALWAYS have a water bottle or tumbler with me. My Jawbone UP to track my movement and sleep. And my planner/gratitude journal to keep me ‘sane’.
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..Getting the Knots Out.My Profile

14 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers August 30, 2013 at 6:50 am

I’ve heard good things about that devotional book. I really need to get better about doing mine. Yeah… pretttttty bad about it. Whoops!

Loving the look of your makeup choices. Now if only I knew how to properly apply it…
Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers recently posted..American QuinoaMy Profile

15 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 30, 2013 at 6:51 am

That Naked eyeshadow pallet is my all time fave. You can creates o many looks with it!

16 Davida @ The Healthy Maven August 30, 2013 at 6:53 am

Just got some awesome makeup and skincare tips from you! I use the same moisturizer :) Also obsessed with Bare Chips and Game of Thrones!!!

Three favourite nut butters:
1. Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter
2. Homemade Pistachio Butter
3. Marantha Peanut Butter

Loaded into my oats with banana! Have wonderful long weekend lady :)
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..Five on Friday: 5 lunches 1 lunchboxMy Profile

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 11:02 am

I’m SO happy that I finally managed to pick up a jar of Justin’s vanilla AB so that I could see what all the fuss was about. It.isamazingggg.

Happy Friday, hun :)

18 Ashley @ Life and Fitness August 30, 2013 at 6:59 am

The Mac painterly paint pot is also something I use everyday too. Sometimes I wear it as a primer for other colors or just alone since the color looks very natural.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Friday Favorites- Makeup EditionMy Profile

19 Danielle August 30, 2013 at 7:00 am

Love this post! Such a great round up of favorites. You’ve finally convinced me I need the beauty blender too! I keep seeing it everywhere :)
Danielle recently posted..The History of my ClosetMy Profile

20 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves August 30, 2013 at 7:00 am

I love this! We have super similar tastes in each of these categories :)
Foods: TJ’s sunflower seed butter, overnight oats, and avocado toast (recently with smoked salmon on top!)
Beauty: Tarte Amazonian clay blush in Exposed, Maybelline One-by-One mascara, Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment
Random: She Reads Truth on my iPad, Food Network, mornings :)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Fascinating Friday Links #2My Profile

21 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 11:12 am

Ohhh you just reminded me that I have a small sample tube of that Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment that I keep forgetting to try out. Thanks girl!

22 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves August 30, 2013 at 6:44 pm

To be honest, I actually only have the Sephora samples of them too ;)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Are We Prima Ballerinas Yet?My Profile

23 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green August 30, 2013 at 7:05 am

Umm seriously, what an amazing collection of things. I just went through and copy/pasted half of those things to remember for later. I use the simple face towelettes as well, adore them. And I must get the Urban Decay All Nighter spray, it is exactly what I have been looking for. My three daily staples for beauty are Burt Bees face moisturizer, Eos lip balm, and MAC studio fix powder.
Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted..Insta AugustMy Profile

24 whiness August 30, 2013 at 7:15 am

It’s such a great idea!
A) Coffee (cappuccino and cafe latte with coconut syrup and whipped cream), pancakes with whipped cream… okay, maybe just whipped cream, coffee and spinach
B) white powder Chanel and blue contact lenses
C) collar dresses, Pinterest and Iphone which I want to finally buy

25 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples August 30, 2013 at 7:32 am

ohhh i might need to pick up some of that urban decay eyeshadow ;)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..I Passed My NASM Personal Trainer Exam!My Profile

26 Tamara August 30, 2013 at 7:33 am

I, too, love Aveeno and the Revlon lip butters. Might have to check out those Pixie pants…
Tamara recently posted..Review: Feetures!My Profile

27 Megan @ runningonjava August 30, 2013 at 7:37 am

You may think this is not the right time to post this, but in my opinion, it’s the best time! You reminded me of my need to make homemade applesauce this year. I know I’ll go apple/pumpkin picking at some time this fall, and applesauce would be the perfect thing to make. Maybe you’ll come up with recipes for my own pumpkin/apple butter? I can always buy it…but I just love homemade treats!

Ugh, I bawled at the end of The Art of Racing in the Rain. Such a great book. Hope you have a great weekend!
Megan @ runningonjava recently posted..here we areMy Profile

28 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 11:14 am

And YOU just reminded me that I need to make sure I go apple picking this fall I mean to go every year but somehow never make it out. And I reread Racing in the Rain and -still- bawled the second time, even though I knew what was coming. Ridiculous.

29 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee August 30, 2013 at 7:39 am

Need to make your apple sauce pronto! Simple wipes are the best. Perfecto-post-workout.
3 fave foods right now: FIGS, sunflower seed butter and flax seeds.
Have a lovely long weekend girly! xo
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..Highlights of the WeekMy Profile

30 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles August 30, 2013 at 7:40 am

I love Aveeno’s skin care products–I have really sensitive skin, but Aveeno’s a brand that consistently works well for me and doesn’t irritate it. Top 3 foods, in no particular order: nut butter (most kinds–I’m not very picky in this department!), froyo (you really shouldn’t be surprised :P), and fresh fruit. I can’t pick just one fruit…that’d be devastating. :)
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..Thursday Thoughts: I like my bed, I like sleeping, SQUIRRELMy Profile

31 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 30, 2013 at 7:47 am

Homemade applesauce is definitely the best! I love the eye shadow palette! Those are totally my colors!

My favorite food products are definitely peanut butter (can’t get enough of it) and coconut cashew truebars.

My favorite beauty products are the YES To tomatoes line! I love the face wash!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Power Foods Friday – TomatoesMy Profile

32 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl August 30, 2013 at 8:21 am

I am pretty sure that almond butter would be on my list EVERY. SINGLE. MONTH.!! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Mexican Cauliflower “Rice” with Vegan SausageMy Profile

33 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

:lol: I would put it on mine too, but I’m pretty sure it would start getting redundant after a while.

34 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 30, 2013 at 8:23 am

This is my reminder to try some of the products I’ve seen you post before. I’m a big moroccon oil fan and I really wan to try that hair mask! I also want to try Lush products and read The Art of Racing in the Rain. I have a feeling I”ll cry over that one too!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Ginger Pear SpritzersMy Profile

35 Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now August 30, 2013 at 8:35 am

I love all your faves :) I need jeans, a tshirt, and coffee on the weekends :)
Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now recently posted..I ran and it HurtMy Profile

36 AC August 30, 2013 at 8:37 am

Foods: peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, ripe nectarines with plain Greek yogurt, sweet potato fries
Beauty products: Cetaphil face wash (so gentle but effective, and cheap too!), Laura Mercier mineral makeup, Too Faced eyeliner (love the texture, and it’s waterproof!)
Random: the Harry Potter series (you’ve GOT to read it), long walks through the city, warm baths

37 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 11:17 am

I love a lot of the Cetaphil face products too. I couldn’t believe how well they worked when I first tried them, but they’re great for sensitive skin.

38 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 30, 2013 at 8:58 am

I’m so excited for local apples…I’m basically going to make applesauce like it’s my job, I haven’t made any in a few months. And my GoT obsession obviously doesn’t even need commenting on at this point. And as for the other favourites:
Food as of currently: bananas (I wasn’t eating them too often for a while there in favour of berries and summer fruits, but the magic has officially been rekindled), ice cream/frozen foods in any form (froyo and coconut ice cream), and hot dogs, because I’ve been to like 12 BBQs this summer and always ate a hot dog.
Beauty: whatever you tell me to buy in Sephora :-p I have been using macadamia oil on my hair and loving it.
Odds n Ends: Insurgent (just finished reading it last night and now I’m extra happy that I don’t have to wait too long for the next one) nighttime walks with the puppy, getting excited to bake Fall-ish things.
Happy Friday my dear! <3
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 08/30/13.My Profile

39 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 11:18 am

Confession: I’m ridiculously excited for our Sephora trip <3

40 Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite August 30, 2013 at 9:10 am

The moroccan oil, maybelline concealer and simple cleansing wipes are ALL of my daily routine, too! I’m obsessed with my Milani lipsticks and I NEED the urban decay naked palette. NEED. Christmas (which also happens to be my birthday) isn’t close enough for it, ha!
Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted..Life Happens & 15 Minute Italian Zucchini BakeMy Profile

41 Brittany August 30, 2013 at 9:22 am

Foods- Peanut butter, apples, bread.
Beauty- Eerrrmm..I don’t do much here..AH I NEEP HELP!
Odds and Ends- COFFEE, does that count as food? CATS! anddd running.

I don’t know if those work, but I AM MAKING THEM WORK! HA!
Brittany recently posted..Hold the Cheese PleaseMy Profile

42 Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 30, 2013 at 9:25 am

Best of lists are always great… and from you they are even better! You consistently have good info going on and the makeup ones are my among my favorite as I have ZERO experience with makeup. Well hmm not entirely true, mascara and me are pals, and I do put some concealer on. That’s about it though haha. Oh wait and eye liner! hey now, we have a few things going on hurrrr ;)

Local apples/apple picking is something I am most looking forward to this upcoming month! It’s among my Favorites about fall and just the general scents, flavors and sights, weeee can’t wait. But again I have said this before, the winter doom thing SUCKS when it comes sneaking in! Ahh well, I’ll just have to enjoy fall as much as possible.

Have a glorious weekend Amanda!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Just….Be.My Profile

43 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 11:21 am

I need, need, NEED to go apple picking this year! I always plan on going, but somehow never make it out. I think I have to post about it and have people hold me to it.

44 Sky @ The Blonde In Black August 30, 2013 at 9:52 am

I love the Jesus Calling devotional!! It really has transformed my daily relationship with God and my intimacy with him, but of course every day is a challenge to focus on the important things :)

As far as food for this month I’ll say Starbucks (I’ve been there too much), bananas, and almond butter :)
I’ll have to check out those J Crew pants. I’m in need of some that are similar to that. And all of the books you mentioned I need to take a look at too. Loved this post!
Sky @ The Blonde In Black recently posted..Banana Chobani & A NapMy Profile

45 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 11:23 am

Oh the devotional has done amazing things for me! I love how it’s written like God is talking -to- you… makes it feel so much more personal and intimate.

46 Lauren August 30, 2013 at 9:59 am

Top 3 Foods: Bananas, Coconut Chobani, Tomato Sandwiches with Laughing Cow Cheese!!!!
Top 3 Beauty Products: Simple Facial Wipes (love them, too!), China Glaze Nail Polish, and Revlon Just Bitton Lip Stains!
Top 3 Random Odds and Ends: Progressing, less obsessing, and you, of course ;) I’m just trying to suck up. HAHAHA.

I love this post and it’s not better way to celebrate a good ‘ole blogiversary!

47 lindsay August 30, 2013 at 11:20 am

i am happy to report that i have almost half of these items. I’m gonna be like Amanda! WHOOP!
lindsay recently posted..Trending? Allergy Friendly FoodsMy Profile

48 dixya| food, pleasure, and health August 30, 2013 at 12:24 pm

favorite – tea tea and tea.
I wish I wash beauty- savvy like you.
dixya| food, pleasure, and health recently posted..Fitness Friday : Q & AMy Profile

49 Amanda @runtothefinish August 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm

i think a best of the best can be done any time of year, that’s the great thing about having your own blog! ha! the books were good for me, I need to go check those out
Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..Mind Over Medicine: Can you heal yourself?My Profile

50 Sophie August 30, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Thank you for your inspiring photographs; some lovely products that you have mentioned.

Sophie x

51 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl August 30, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Man, there is so much awesomeness crammed into this one post!! Can’t wait to reserve a little time and check out all of the links. I’ve still been wanting to try the dry capp for awhile. Once, it cools down a little here I’ll definitely be ordering one!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Fun Gift IdeaMy Profile

52 Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake August 30, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Chunky homemade apple sauce? OMG :))))
Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted..Food Friday: Chicken Apple Sausage Tacos!My Profile

53 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Tastes just like apple pie filling – promise :D

54 Alex @ therunwithin August 30, 2013 at 4:05 pm

the art of racing in the rain made me ball!!! like hardcore cry and break down. Amazing book. have you ever read chasing redbird? it is an easy read but i highly recommend it. makes you think .
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..It’s a Wrap.My Profile

55 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Never have… but I’ll be looking into it!

56 Arman @ thebigmansworld August 30, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Haha, I love how I made both your recipes you published this month! I think I’ll be tackling the apple sauce next, seeing as you referred to it comparable to apple pie filling and not baby food.

So I’m going to skip the middle section ;) but 3 all time favourite foods would be- vegemite, coffee and eggs. Can’t go a day without them. 3 random odds and ends- twitter. instagram. wordpress. Cannot believe how elevated the addiction is already..now only to get my head around utilising it properly!
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..Off the cuff fridays- savoury oat bran + twos editionMy Profile

57 Sarah August 30, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I start each morning with Jesus Calling and absolutely love it! I was thrilled to see you enjoy it as well. I want you to know how much I appreciate your blog. It has helped me tremendously. I have had an eating disorder for years and recently had a relapse. Your words of wisdom are an invaluable asset. I have combed through past entries and find those regarding compulsive exercise and clean eating particularly inspiring. Thank you so much for instilling me with hope and courage. So many so-called “healthy” living blogs only fuel my rigidity. I had completely stopped reading them and then was fortunate enough to stumble across yours. It is refreshing to see someone living a balanced truly healthy life. Have a wonderful weekend!

58 kris August 30, 2013 at 11:44 pm

mmm that applesauce. Sounds SO good right now.
Currently I’ve been really into turkey wraps and pancakes. It may also be due to the fact that I have a very understocked fridge and pantry. Need to work on getting it filled up.
As for beauty products I too am still loving my Urban Decay Naked Palette. It’s hard not to love it! I’m also really into my jasmine korres lip butter. Perfect for summer chapped lips.
Have a wonnnderful long weekend Amanda! :)
kris recently posted..bargains & allergic reactionsMy Profile

59 Sarah August 31, 2013 at 2:39 am

I randomly stumbled upon your blog several months ago. So it’s really neat to see you compare a year ago to now! I really wish there was a list of all the available almond butters. Never heard of Maisie Jane so now I must add it to a list to order! Are you allergic to hazelnuts? I recently ordered hazelnut butter from Amazon, the manufacture is Dundee Orchards. Absolutely amazing, I finished it within several days (oops?).

Favorite foods: nut butters are at the top of the list, give me a banana, nut butter sandwich any day! I’ve done peanut butter, different kinds of nut butters (like Nutzo), but I seem to go back to almond butter. Just can’t pick a favorite brand! Oh what else in terms of foods… honey, yogurt, bulgur! Oh that sounds like an interesting combination all together doesn’t it?

Random odds and ends: does exploring different blogs count?

I hope you have yourself a wonderful day!

60 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 31, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Honey, yogurt, and bulgur DOES sound amazing <3 I think it’d be a pretty fabulous twist on the whole oatmeal breakfast :) And I’m not specifically allergic to hazelnuts, but I do sometimes get reactions to them so I try to avoid them. Shame because there are so many amazing nut butters out there!

61 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen August 31, 2013 at 6:01 am

Love this round up of favourites! I totally agree that homemade applesauce is seriously the best. The packaged kind doesn’t even come close to comparing. I’m so excited it’s starting to be apple season here – I see a LOT of applesauce in my future. :D

And yesss A Song of Ice and Fire is totally on my favourites list for the year too. What a brilliant series. I haven’t been this obsessed with a series since Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings haha.

My favourites:
Food: Barney Butter, anything from Kindfood, pumpkin pie
Beauty products: Neutrogena SPF facial moisturizer, Organix coconut body wash, Burts Bee’s milk and honey hand lotion
Misc: A Song of Ice and Fire (books)/Game of Thrones (tv show), spending time in Toronto, coloured jeans!
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Friday favouritesMy Profile

62 Christina @ Pinch of Healthy August 31, 2013 at 6:25 am

Frozen bananas are the best, they taste like ice cream without having to put in the work to blend them up. I love applesauce but have never tried a chunky version, I think I may like this one better because the consistency of non-chunky gets boring if that makes any sense.
Christina @ Pinch of Healthy recently posted..Italian-Style Potato SaladMy Profile

63 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) August 31, 2013 at 12:01 pm

This post has reminded me that I need to look at my make up again, although I did get a great foundation this month. I feel like now I’m past 30 I need something a with more coverage! Love the philosophy range but haven’t had any products in ages, need to treat myself!

64 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body August 31, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I love the Jesus Calling! I have been reading it since February and it definitely has some encouraging words! Lately I have been loving using coconut oil in my hair, so can that count as a favourite food AND beauty product tahaha :)
Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted..ZuZa Compression Socks – with running updatesMy Profile

65 Katherine August 31, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I know it isn’t in this post, but I just made your little almond butter bars that you recently posted! I was eating little bits and pieces and now half the batch is gone! Those were amazing!
Katherine recently posted..Going to the Chapel.My Profile

66 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 1, 2013 at 11:14 am

Thanks to you, I now no the wonderment of Urban Decay’s makeup and I’m IN LOVE with the Tarte blush! I need to check out the MAC painter pot…I’m always looking for a good eyelid primer/base for discoloration! Seriously, what did I DO before you started doing your little makeup posts?! Haha!

Staple Foods:
1. Peanut butter (I know it would kill you, but no matter how many nut butters out there I try, I ALWAYS come back to my beloved peanut…and it HAS to be crunchy!)
2. Cinnamon…I go through those bulk-sized containers in an embarrassingly short amount of time!
3. Cereal and/or crunchy grab and go snacky stuff! Gotta have my crunch!

Staple Beauty Products:
1. Eyelid primer. I’m currently using a sample of Urban Decay’s from Sephora that works pretty well, but like I said, I’m def gonna check out the MAC stuff
2. Carmex lip balm. I have a million and one lip glosses, balms, and whathaveyous but I think Carmex is still the best when it comes to chapped dry lips! I use it every night before bed.
3. Mascara. I don’t really have an absolute favorite right now since I’m always trying new ones, but I NEVER leave the house without it…even if that’s all I put on!

Staple Randoms:
1. My journal AND a good pen. I’ve found it helps a lot for my mental clarity to just jot down my feelings sometimes…even if I don’t understand them…and it’s critical to have a pen that’s not “throwing up” all over the paper since most of the time, I’m already frustrated enough! Lol
2. Sunglasses. Cannot, WILL NOT go anywhere without my shades. I have about 6-7 pairs of them planted in various places in my house and car just so I never get caught without them.
3. Hair ties/ponytail holders WITHOUT metal clips. Ditto from the sunglasses! And bonus points for not pulling half my hair out with those stupid metal pieces!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Currently: AugustMy Profile

67 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 3, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Oh girl, DEFINITELY check out the MAC paint pot! Even on days where I don’t use any shadow, I still put it on because it covers up any veins and redness on my eyelids.

68 Katherine September 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm

great post! i have GOT to try your apple sauce recipe. i’ve been meaning to for like, a year now. maybe now that it’s turning to fall if i go apple picking i’ll make a big batch! love fall foods :)
Katherine recently posted..pea pestoMy Profile

69 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 2, 2013 at 8:53 am

I like the annual recap in September no less. It’s good to mix things up. I’m a big fan of Aveeno lotion too. Living in Ohio, I have a tendency to get ridiculously dry in the winter time (I suspect Canada is no better) so daily lotion is a must.
I don’t think I could pick favorite foods, especially since it’s always changing based on my CSA produce, although I do make granola on the regular and I’m also a fan of homemade pizzas too.
Happy Monday.