. random ramblings and three excuses .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on June 10, 2013

You know… I really can’t hate on Mondays. I mean, sure there’s the whole work/school thing to deal with, but it’s kind of nice to get back into a routine after the randomness of the weekend. I wouldn’t object to some better weather, though (temps are in Celsius)…

Rainy Monday

I also wouldn’t object to another slice of banana bread

Simple Banana Bread

… butttttttt it seems to have just up and vanished. I swear I left it sitting on my kitchen counter, but now it’s nowhere to be found… Funny how that works. And now I’m left to deal with a broken heart and a green banana situation – it’s hard to tell which is worse. Excuse me while I go drown my sorrows [in a big bowl of oatmeal]…

Apple Oatmeal

Much better.

So I feel like I should apologize for bombarding you with a whole lot of randomness this morning. I was originally planning to write a post sharing my thoughts on constantly feeling like I have to be on guard with diet and exercise to make sure that people don’t think I’m falling back into old habits, but that just didn’t happen. Why? Three reasons.

First, I didn’t really find myself with a lot of downtime this weekend. You know those days that pass by way too quickly, yet you really have no idea what it is that you did? That was my weekend. It was Friday and now it’s Monday, and I couldn’t tell you what happened in between.

Second, I didn’t get to spend any time alone in Starbucks, which is where most of my blog writing happens.

Blogging in Bux

I have this theory that the high concentration of caffeine in the air makes me 100x more productive, so no caffeine delighting my olfactory senses means I’m more than likely sitting there staring at a blank computer screen… I mean, I guess I could have sniffed some coffee beans or something, but that doesn’t really have the same effect, you know?

Third, I may or may not have spent far too much time on my newest addiction…

Candy Crush

If you haven’t yet exposed yourself to the phenomenon that is Candy Crush, please do yourself a favor and stay.away. No jokes. It’s all fun and games at first, until you reach the higher levels and it transforms into an unhealthy obsession. Gotta crush the candy. Gotta pass level 29. What do you mean I have no moves left?!? Gah! Screw you, Candy Crush.

So I’m afraid that’s all I have for you this morning – a whole lot of randomness. I’ll do my best to have something a little more concrete for you tomorrow, but for now it’s off to brave the nasty weather and get myself to work. Happy Monday, friends!

Do you play any games on your phone?
Coffee shops increasing productivity: fact or fiction?
What was breakfast this morning?

1 Lisa June 10, 2013 at 7:50 am

Ohhh, your weather is not looking too pretty.
Even though the weather’s not that great oh well, coffee makes things much better:)
I find my same relationship with coffee….it just makes me that much more productive.
I’m a major major sudoku fan. Like absurd amounts I play. I have this thing where I have to play it before bed too. I feel like I should be 83 saying that.
Breakfast is overnight oats! Hopefully I can stomach them, because they’re mighty delicious.
Lisa recently posted..Strangely GoodMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 9:15 am

Awwr hope that you feel better soon, girlie! I love Sudoku, but I usually play it in some sort of book rather than on my phone. I don’t know why, but those sort of brain puzzles just feel more legit with pencil and paper :lol:

3 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health June 10, 2013 at 7:52 am

Your banana bread looked delicious! I made banana cake this weekend and it was fail. Gluten free flours are so tricky! I’ve never played Candy Crush but I see it everywhere so it must be crazy addicting! I used to play Words with Friends but I stopped because it made me feel unproductive.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Baker Beach + The Golden GateMy Profile

4 Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness June 10, 2013 at 7:53 am

Lol, my boyfriend was just telling me about candy crush over the weekend! I’d never heard of it which apparently means I’ve been living under a rock seeing as how it’s been the #1 app for weeks! (months even?) i gotta try it. aside from words with friends, im not really a big game player on the phone- after the angry birds addiction of 2011, I had to go cold turkey. perhaps its time i get back into it :) and i agree- caffeine in the air makes me more productive too. happy monday girlie!
Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted..Mixape Monday: You’re An Animal!My Profile

5 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 9:20 am

Don’t do it! It’ll become the Candy Crush addiction of 2013! I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to end up deleting it from my phone… not only to save myself, but my poor phone as well. Holy battery drain, Batman.

6 Alyssa @ Road to RD June 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

I keep hearing about Candy Crush, but I have yet to give it a shot. Everyone says it’s so addicting!

7 Sky @ The Blonde In Black June 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

For some reason I’m not a game person. I just don’t play games on my phone. And I do think coffee shops increase productivity. I know that at college whenever I go somewhere rather than staying at home to write papers I am much more productive. I guess it’s because I went somewhere special to work so I have to work while I’m there. Breakfast this morning has yet to happen…I’m thinking a green monster smoothie or oatmeal. Hmmmm…I wish I could have a slice of your banana bread!

8 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles June 10, 2013 at 7:57 am

I’m sorely tempted to look up Candy Crush, but I also know that I waste too much of my time already and I really shouldn’t be finding more distractions for myself. :P I’ve taken to bringing my MCAT stuff to Starbucks because something about the atmosphere also kick starts my brain!…the downside of that is that my wallet doesn’t quite appreciate daily trips to Starbucks. :) I’m convinced I need to start making my own iced coffee…it’s not the same though!…this was kind of rambling comment. I guess it suits your rambling post. ;)
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..MIMM #8: A weekend of fantastic foodMy Profile

9 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 9:23 am

And it suits me just fine :D I definitely know what you mean about homemade coffee not being the same. That’s why I’ve just given up and accepted the fact that I enjoy my daily Starbucks treat… I figure if something I enjoy and it’s not doing -too- much damage, then it’s all good. Happy Monday, girlie!

10 Katie @ running4cupcakes June 10, 2013 at 8:03 am

FACT coffee shops do increase productivity. I don’t think I would have graduated college or medical school without them!!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 6/9/13My Profile

11 Megan @ runningonjava June 10, 2013 at 8:14 am

Soooo we have some incredibly ripe bananas in our banana bowl. I think they’re screaming at me to make them into bread. I’m sure you wouldn’t object to that, right? I’m with ya on the productivity with caffeine thing. I swear I can get 100x more work done just being in the presence of Starbucks.
Megan @ runningonjava recently posted..lobster kissesMy Profile

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 9:28 am

No objections as long as you send some my way ;)

13 Andrea June 10, 2013 at 8:19 am

I, like you, am trying to use up all of the random crap that I have bought in the past and right now it’s this random bag of wheat germ. I made some mini wheat germ corn muffins last night and that’s what I’m having for breakfast along with a banana and peach jam / apple butter. The thing with mini muffins is, there is really no limit haha. I’ve had six already and I’m not necessarily done. They’re mini! That’s allowed, right?! ;)

14 Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom June 10, 2013 at 8:22 am

I don’t play any games at all….I think I’m lame but I just never got into games. I don’t drink coffee, but I don’t do well in areas of high traffic when trying to concentrate and be productive. When I was an undergrad, I could never do my homework in the library because I always got sucked into conversations or people watching.

Breakfast this morning was a Greek yogurt bowl topped with strawberries, raspberries, and my newest addiction, Trader Joe’s Ginger Cashew and Almond granola cereal. YUM!
Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted..MyOatmeal.com: Dirty Banana ReviewMy Profile

15 Lucie@FitSwissChick June 10, 2013 at 8:28 am

Oh no, that weather!! We had this in Switzerland for the past few months. Not acceptable.
I can concentrate so much better in coffeeshops than at home – probably because I can not always stand up and doing other stuff instead of working :-)
And I am the hugest comp. game whimp. The only games I know and understand are Tetris and Car Races. My bro is a WOW champ and tried to get me into it – fail.
Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted..Star Systemz and Fit Friends – Guest PostMy Profile

16 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 9:30 am

Tetris will always be a classic <3 And WoW… oi. Let’s not even get into how many hours of my life that has sucked up. It’s probably better not to be a gamer!

17 Kate June 10, 2013 at 8:29 am

blehhh I hear you – our weather isn’t too fantastic either! Lots of rain and storms coming this week….oh well. Indoor time is okay I guess. I also have that same green banana situation! I don’t wanna have to wait another 3-4 days before making that bread gahh. And hey, get all the randomness outta your system (and get some sbux!) and then the words will just come flowing :-D

18 Tracey June 10, 2013 at 8:37 am

I’m recently obsessed with candy crush too! I usually give up on those games quickly though once I get stuck. & I feel you on the rain, for 3 straight days it rained, we had 1 sunny day yesterday and now it’s storming again :( This severely limits my hair and clothing options! haha
Tracey recently posted..Marvelous Monday!My Profile

19 Sarah @PickyRunner June 10, 2013 at 8:37 am

I’m on level 29 too!!! The worst is after I’ve lost all 5 lives and I have to wait a million years to start playing again. Seriously. The worst. I don’t hate mondays either. I never really have, but especially not in the summer because technically this week monday/tuesday is my weekend. Keeping track of the day of the week gets exhausting. I just show up where I’m supposed to be at any given time. Randoms are the best way to start out the week anyways. Get all the thoughts out so it’s a clean slate :)

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 9:42 am

I actually just beat level 29 last night, but it was the first one that gave me some serious grief – the lives thing is the worst! Currently working on level 34 and may just end up throwing my phone out the window :mad:

21 Ari @ The Pace of it All June 10, 2013 at 8:41 am

I have been avoiding candy crush because I heard how addictive it is lol! I will definitely keep away now.

Mmm banana bread sounds good. And have you heard of myoatmeal.com? Shipping might be pricey for you but I bought some oatmeal off there, yum! White chocolate? Totally got me back into eating oatmeal again!
Ari @ The Pace of it All recently posted..The perfect weekend? Working hard and hardly working…My Profile

22 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 10, 2013 at 8:50 am

Sometimes I forget that you are in Canada, so when I saw those temperatures I almost freaked out!! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Seitan Tacos with Buffalo Coleslaw (Vegan)My Profile

23 Emma June 10, 2013 at 8:53 am

Ugh, don’t get me started on that weather. I’m about to go outside and brave it now :( I just started playing Candy Crush – I’m not addicted yet, but I’m only on about level two, haha! And I love the randomness, keeps everything interesting :)
Emma recently posted..Enjoy it While it Lasts: MIMM #2My Profile

24 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 9:50 am

You wouldn’t happen to live near my neck of the woods, would you?

25 Emma @ Life's A Runner June 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Yep, born and raised in Edmonton! I love your comments about our weather here, makes me feel less alone :)

26 dixya| food, pleasure, and health June 10, 2013 at 9:16 am

i hear you about bread disappearing – it is happening to me as I type :P I have no idea what candy crush is about but I keep getting invite on fb and it drives me crazy. I love randomness on Monday – have a great day :)
dixya| food, pleasure, and health recently posted..Marvelous Weekend through my Lens #MIMMMy Profile

27 De @ Cooking for the Other Half June 10, 2013 at 9:18 am

I’m starting my juice cleanse today so I think I’m going to have a hard time with all these food pictures! I want that banana bread right now. :(
De @ Cooking for the Other Half recently posted..back from D.C. and day 1 of my juice cleanseMy Profile

28 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 10, 2013 at 9:26 am

I’ve been avoiding Candy Crush for that very reason…I keep hearing how addictive it is! I was hooked on Family Feud and Scrabble on my phone for a while, but thankfully seem to have moved past that. And boo weather! At least you won’t spend too long at today’s temperature though…11 degrees in June? Unacceptable.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..MIMM: Some Pretty Marvelous Cupcakes.My Profile

29 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy June 10, 2013 at 9:30 am

I had Kashi Cinnamon Harvest mixed with Honey nut Cheerios. You seriously changed my life completely with the mixing of the cereals. I think I’ve said this before.
I dream of being able to go to a coffee shop to blog. We have a Panera down the street but it’s a matter of finding time without children to go. Which is never. One day… One day… Now a days I blog while Subliminally listening to Dora the Explorer in the back round. I find myself knowing Spanish words out of the blue sometimes.
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..I Got It OutMy Profile

30 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 10:29 am

Well, I wouldn’t necessarily consider that a bad thing ;)

31 Khushboo June 10, 2013 at 9:34 am

I’m definitely with you about coffee shops boosting brain power….as do hair salons! Some of my best posts were written while getting my hair done – maybe I ought to get my hair done more often ;)! Your breakfast bowl of oats looks rather delicious! I stuck with my current favorite: Plain yogurt with raw oats, applesauce, roasted almonds and peanut butter! It was so good that I had the same or lunch…in a near empty jar :)!

32 Missy June 10, 2013 at 9:42 am

I spent an embarrassing amount of time on Candy Crush last weekend.
I used to scoff at the idea that people would PAY MONEY for more lives etc..
BUT.

Now I can understand. I do not condone it, nor will I ever do it…
but it’s addictive.
Addiction drives people to great lengths.

33 Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes June 10, 2013 at 9:48 am

I agree I like weekends but I also enjoy the routine of the weekdays! Sounds like a fun weekend! Get some caffeine soon or I don’t know if you have the energy to beat level 29…

34 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 10:30 am

Hehe… I actually beat it last night, but it was the first one that gave me some serious trouble. Drat having to wait on new lives…

35 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers June 10, 2013 at 9:53 am

I haven’t gotten into Candy Crush. I prefer candy munch. Mmmm.
Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers recently posted..19 Weeks: Sharing My StrengthMy Profile

36 meredith June 10, 2013 at 10:18 am

I am not a big game player although I see everything is playing this Candy Crush. The little candies look cute but I will stay away like you say lol. I do have the easy bake oven app. Sometimes I create a cake or cupcake or two….
meredith recently posted..The Feng ShuiMy Profile

37 Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries June 10, 2013 at 10:33 am

Im trying to stay away from candy crush. I have enough problem with pinterest, facebook and blogs…I cant handle another screen obsession!

I think coffeshops are hit or miss for productivity. Sometimes I go and can get in the groove. Other times they have blaring musing or loud people and I just cant think straight. But Im lucky to have an office where I can close my door if I need to get serious!
Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries recently posted..Motivation monday: One step at a timeMy Profile

38 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables June 10, 2013 at 11:10 am

I about freaked out when I saw 6 degrees! I’m glad you said celsius! lol I’m trying to use this Monday to get back into the swing of things from our vacation. I have never heard of Candy Crush, but after I get caught back up, I might have to check it out!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..JetLag and Eggplant and Mushroom DalMy Profile

39 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Well even in Celsius, it’s still only 6 degrees away from freezing, which is kind of unacceptable considering summer is only a week and a half away :mad:

40 Kay June 10, 2013 at 11:38 am

I’m way to content with people-watching to concentrate in a coffee shop! There are just so many things that move and make noise to ever seriously study there ;)
Kay recently posted..Join me as I RUN for WATERMy Profile

41 Lauren June 10, 2013 at 11:45 am

I just downloaded Candy Crush two weeks ago and then about an hour later (when I thought it was about five minutes) I believe “Screw you, Candy Crush” really did come out of my mouth. Lol. I get wayyyy too invested in video games which is why I refuse to buy them anymore. Counterstrike did me in at an early age so it would just be bad to start again.

Coffee shops are where I got most of my work accomplished in college. I would try sitting in the library but got MORE done in the Starbucks out front. I guess I like being able to people watch as “breaks” from my work. Plus, the coffee is about two feet away at all times. ;-)
Lauren recently posted..All About My KneesMy Profile

42 Tara June 10, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I had to stop CandyCrush. I’m on level 65 and invested so much time on it and just couldn’t pass the level until I didn’t care anymore. I just put it down one day and stopped playing. You will see what I’m talking about when you see the chocolates for the first time! I can’t believe some people are level 200~.
Tara recently posted..Back To RealityMy Profile

43 Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen June 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Hmm I need to start doing work in coffee shops then! I used to study at Starbucks in college from time to time when I needed a break from the library. Come to think of it, I always did feel very productive there! Have a good Monday Amanda!
Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen recently posted..OvereatingMy Profile

44 Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset June 10, 2013 at 12:56 pm

No excuses needed- I take days (ok, months!) off from blogging! #yolo. I got Candy Crush awhile ago, and coincidentally just started playing it yesterday. haha. Very timely. I understand the hype now!
Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..Something worth fighting forMy Profile

45 Nausheen June 10, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Hi Amanda!
I just wanted to say that I love your blog and all your posts, and your amazing pics! :) I love how much process you’ve made with recovery. I’m trying to gain some weight back but it’s been quite difficult :/ Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful Monday and thank you for another great read!

46 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Nausheen :) And I know it’s hard, but a healthy life is definitely worth fighting for.

47 Nicole June 10, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I’m one of the rare few without a smart phone (I don’t need another distraction!) but I do have a game where you roll two dice by shaking the phone… Very simplistic, but potential for a game of snake eyes with friends :P today’s brekkie was two pieces toast with smashed avocado, black pepper, and cottage cheese on top, one of my favorites! :)
Nicole recently posted..recent nomsMy Profile

48 Ashley June 10, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Ugh, fellow Edmontonian here and I am very thankful to be sitting in my office today and not braving the elements outside. I’m also addicted to Candy Crush and currently stuck on level 77. So. Hard. Hope you are having an awesome Monday! :)
Ashley recently posted..I did it!My Profile

49 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples June 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I’m not a big game person… or coffee person… but i am sitting in panera working on blog stuff so maybe i’m energized by all the coffee in the air and don’t even know it ;) breakfast this am = a couple almond crisp crackers, a spoonful of natural peanut butter and a cutie orange w/water :)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Exercise May Protect Against Alcohol’s Effect on Cognitive AbilitiesMy Profile

50 Nicole @ FruitnFitness June 10, 2013 at 2:23 pm

The weather here in lexington has been really crappy the last two days. It’s cold and rainy here today. A nice big bowl of warm oatmeal might have to be dinner if my workout doesn’t warm me up some. I’m always so cold and my office is freezing! How can people actually want to sit in an office that’s 62F?
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..weekend full of foodMy Profile

51 Parita June 10, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Like I mentioned on IG, I had to delete Candy Crushers off my phone! You’re so right, the higher up you go in levels, the harder it is to quit. Vishnu found me under our covers playing before bed. I often find myself wanting to download it again…but I won’t! Ha!
Parita recently posted..New Beauty FavoritesMy Profile

52 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm

:lol: The only saving grace is the fact that you run out of lives and have to wait a while before you can play again. I have a feeling they put that in there because they knew how addicting it was going to be.

53 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 10, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I’m definitely not minding your randomness today. In fact, I’m kinda feeling in a random mood myself. Not sure why!?!

Well anyway, I have not played Candy Crush yet, but now I’m afraid to after hearing your thoughts. I know I would be addicted to it (FYI…my long time addiction is to Pinterest…just in case you were wondering ;-)).

For breakfast this a.m., my newest addiction is cookie dough cereal…yummy!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Easy Turkey MeatloafMy Profile

54 kaity @ kaityscooking June 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I had pancakes this morning, the best. I honestly get so much done at coffee shops, thats why I would force myself to go and study because I know I actually would then lol. I haven’t played phone games since snake lol on a old old phone of mine. I know I’d like candy crush but I won’t play it because I know i’d get obsessed lol
kaity @ kaityscooking recently posted..rain rain go awayMy Profile

55 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I remember Snake! I had that on one of my first computers and was completely addicted to it. So simple, but so satisfying.

56 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit June 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Happy Monday! Those temps look delightful, we’ve been having some stellar weather as well! Cannot complain. I hate when food just up & disappears…usually in my mouth ;) And I’m sucked into endless games of Words With Friends…I’m fearful of what would happen if I branched out into other games!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Outdoors…Indoors Weekend RecapMy Profile

57 Becky @ Olives n Wine June 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Would you think I’m crazy if I told you that I haven’t had caffeine in over a year? I still love coffee (obv!) but only order decaf if I decide not to order tea. I was having some serious low blood pressure/lightheadedness/fainting issues and traced most of my symptoms back to caffeine so I went cold turkey last Memorial Day weekend. I honestly feel SO much better and more awake without it. I think I just listen to my body better now – go to sleep when I am tired and don’t try to mask it with caffeine :)
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Jalapeno-Spiced Black Bean Burgers + A GIVEAWAY!My Profile

58 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Wow, really? I have some issues with low blood pressure as well, but I always assumed that coffee was supposed to help with that… I did cut it out for about a year a little while ago, though, and didn’t notice much of a difference… so I guess (hope) I can keep drinking it.

59 Kat June 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Too bad you don’t have a dog or cat to blame the missing loaf on. That’s what I blame all our missing food on ;)
Sorry about the weather love. Would it help if I told you it was like 70 and cloudy over here?
Kat recently posted..Marvelous Monday: Weekend CheatsMy Profile

60 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate June 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm

The problem of disappearing baked good seems to be a regular occurrence in my life also. ;-) We are having some weather weirdness here too, but I can certainly never complain! Breakfast for me this morning was a nice big warm bowl of oats to combat the dreary day. Perfect!
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Flea Street CafeMy Profile

61 Lisa C. June 10, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Oh geez…so what is 6 degrees C? It can’t be very warm! Brrr.

Is that greek yogurt on your oats? I think I have seen this in other pictures. Very interesting.

I enjoyed your random post!

Today was the first day of our summer vacation around these parts and the first time I have taken all four kids for a BIG grocery trip in a while. Whew, I need to sharpen my skills. LOL

62 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 5:57 pm

It’s 43 F… so not very warm at all. And yup! It’s Greek yogurt. I love adding a spoonful or two to my oats and then stirring it in a bit. Gives an awesome taste and texture.

63 Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now June 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Yeah, I don’t mind a little drizzle, but when it starts pouring, I’m just like “no”
I play PapiJump … pretty addicting. I also play Minecraft, but it makes my iPod’s battery die and it won’t let me charge while using the app? WTH(eck)?
Fact! Escpecially Starbucks … :)
A nutigrain strawberry bar and coffee
Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now recently posted..My day in picturesMy Profile

64 Sophia June 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I feel the pain of losing food to unknown circumstance- try having two brothers- but I have the advantage now- I can bake and cook ;) I actually find I can’t study well in a coffee shop, perhaps the caffeine is too enticing and my mind gets distracted my delicious things… Breakfast will be some fresh tomatoes on toast with shaved Parmesan, olive oil, salt and cracked pepper ;) Love Sophia

65 Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet June 10, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Idk something about coffee shops do make me do work. I think its just a mental thing for me. Plus seeing all the people do work makes me motivated to do work as well.
Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet recently posted..Ooo La LaMy Profile

66 Maria@The_Brooklyn_Fig June 10, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Ooo tell me what’s in your oatmeal- looks soooo good!
Maria@The_Brooklyn_Fig recently posted..Week at a Glance: 6/10/13My Profile

67 Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 10, 2013 at 6:00 pm

The base is just my eggy oats http://www.runningwithspoons.com/for-spoons/steel-cut-oats-base-tutorial/ and then I topped them with some Greek yogurt, homemade applesauce, almond butter, and cinnamon.

68 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 10, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I’m pretty sure the coffee shop theory isn’t just speculation; for me it’s a fact! ;) Caffeine permeating through the air definitely increases my productivity, but so does the rich creamy chocolate I nibble on as I study. A cappuccino and a few squares of Lindt is my go-to mid-afternoon treat that helps me power through whatever I’m working on. Without it, I’m a lost soul with a mind that refuses to stay focused on one subject for more than five minutes. Thank God for Starbucks! :)

I’m going to take your advice and stay far far away from Candy Crush. Not only does the name sound enticing, but my OCD tendencies pretty much guarantee that playing games on my iPhone wouldn’t end well (i.e. I’d be up until 3am trying to crush the candy). I do have two iPhone obsessions, though: Instagram and Pinterest. Gah, both epitomize a love-hate relationship. ;)

Breakfast this morning: banana oatmeal pancakes. :) Hope you had a lovely Monday, Amanda! <3
Sara @ Nourish and Flourish recently posted..All Good Things {+ Some News}My Profile

69 Alex @ therunwithin June 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Monday is always meant for random tidbits. there is never enough time in the weekend, or even weekdays. I feel ya girl, I feel ya
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..MIMM: Aha!My Profile

70 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen June 10, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Green bananas?! Oh girl I feel for you. That’s the worst. And I’m not even being sarcastic hahaha.

I haven’t been sucked into any computer or phone games yet, but I know how easy it can be. Back when I was like 12 or 13 I was addicted to the Harry Potter computer games (don’t judge :P).

This morning for breakfast I had egg white banana oatmeal with almond butter and berries. It’s been my standard breakfast for pretty much the past 2 years.
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..New job + my weekendMy Profile

71 Bowrag June 10, 2013 at 8:55 pm

DANG.. Its 93 degrees here and we are already sweating buckets.
Bowrag recently posted..I’m Impressed AgainMy Profile

72 Jessie June 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Darling, I hope you had the most wonderful, fantastic, awesome & super day :) I love playing bubble shooter on my phone. Talk about one heck of an addicting game!!
Jessie recently posted..Benefits of Lemon WaterMy Profile

73 kristen @ verbs and vignettes June 10, 2013 at 9:07 pm

do i play any games on my phone? please. when do i not play any games on my phone? i have a whole screen dedicated to them… dots, temple run, doodle jump, flow free, sudoku. oh man.

i think coffee shops increase my overall happiness. not so sure about productivity. the things i do there are all just-for-fun things. journaling, reading, making lists… mainly people-watching. ;)
kristen @ verbs and vignettes recently posted..start of summerMy Profile

74 Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 11, 2013 at 6:44 pm

CANDY CRUSH!! Is there a support group? I just downloaded it yesterday. And it’s an issue. Can’t. Do. Anything. Else.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies RecipeMy Profile

75 Trudy June 12, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Hey…you’re the one who cursed us all by saying you liked all this rain!
Sunny in Calgary today :D
Though…it’s supposed to rain for the next 2 days D:
Trudy recently posted..Weekend Shenanigans: Fish, DQ, and still sick…My Profile

76 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 30, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Ok, so I’ve never heard of Candy Crush until now…pretty sure with my obsessive personality that I should heed your warning though…Words with Friends was almost the death of me! I’ve had friends inviting me to games for a couple of weeks now, but I just can’t go back…must not go back! Lol

It’s funny, I think I get LESS productive in coffee shops or other places where there’s a lot of activity (read: distraction) going on. Hello my name is Heather and I have ADD…and a love of people watching/snooping! ;) Oh and um, I’m also the same Heather who is 3 1/2 weeks behind on my favorite blog! :-/
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Salad CerealMy Profile