. WIAW … snacking at the crack of dawn .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on May 29, 2013

The day is really long when it starts at 4:30 AM. Believe me – I speak from experience.

What on earth was I doing up at such an ungodly hour? I’d love to say it was something inspiring, like trying to start the day on a good note by fitting in an awesome workout before heading off to work, but the truth of the matter is that I was up before the crack of dawn because I was trying to appease a wonky appetite that just so happened to decide that it felt like kicking in at a rather inconvenient time.

Really, stomach? Really?! You couldn’t have held out for another hour or so? You had to force me to get out of my comfy bed, head to the kitchen, and stand there bleary-eyed and half-conscious, with a banana in one hand and a spoonful of almond butter in the other, while I wondered if I was actually awake or if it was all just a bad dream? We are not on speaking terms today, you and I.

But yeah… Despite my best efforts to get back to sleep, it just wasn’t happening. I stayed in bed and read for a little while before giving up at around 5:30 and starting my day…

Morning Tea

Morning Stretches

You would think that having so much extra time in the morning would motivate me to whip up something extra fancy for breakfast (read: pancakes or waffles), but for some reason, breakfast is a meal that I don’t like to mess around with too much, so I went with a tried-and-true classic instead…

Weetabix Breakfast

Plain Greek yogurt with a banana, homemade applesauce, Weetabix, almond butter, and cinnamon.

Oh cereal, you never fail me; even when I cheat on you. I’m actually trying to cut back on oats again for a little while to see if they’re what’s behind my mysterious stomach woes, since those seem to have started at around the same time that oats came back into my life… I’m seriously hoping that’s not the case, seeing as I fell in love with them all over again, but it would be nice to be rid of the wonk. And if it does turn out to be the oats, then I may just have to switch over to those quinoa or rice flakes that I found in the depths of my pantry

Pantry Cereals

Oh! And speaking of which, I’ve been doing pretty well on the whole “operation: pantry cleanup” ordeal. Okay, so my morning snack wasn’t exactly the most creative…

Simple Snack

Banana and hardboiled egg.

lunch was just some leftovers (which tasted even better cold)…

Enchilada Leftovers

… and my daily cappuccino is better at emptying my wallet than it is at emptying my pantry…

Daily Cauppiccino

BUT!! I did manage to sneak some kamut flakes into my [otherwise] oatmeal cookies…

Kamut Flakes
Kamut

Kamut Cookies

And I finally got around to opening up my carton of almond milk to cater to my newfound addiction to, for lack of a better name, fruit soup…

Fruit Soup

I’m not even sure how I came up with this oddity of a snack, but it’s basically become my newest obsession. What I do is scoop some plain yogurt into the bottom of a bowl and toss in a sliced banana, homemade applesauce, and cereal crumbs. Then I top the whole thing with almond milk and let the cereal get a little soggy before going to town. It sounds a little out there, but trust me… the combination of flavors (especially the yogurt and almond milk) and textures is to die for.

So is the combination of cookies and ice cream…

Cookies n Cream

… which, while it may appear as a nice little indulgence at first glance, is actually yet another cleverly devised way to get rid of some unwanted items. Why I buy gluten-free cookies when I’m not gluten intolerant is beyond me, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that they’re also labelled as nut-free, which always makes my allergy-ridden heart do a little happy dance.

But let’s see; what am I missing? Ahhhh dinner… I had cereal…

Quinoa Chicken Dinner

… on my chicken. I loosely followed this recipe, but used Weetabix instead of corn flakes; and while it may not have been as good as having an actual breakfast for dinner, I have to admit that it wasn’t half bad ;) Even the quinoa and green peas were a nice touch.

So that, my friends, is what I’ve been eating [lately]

WIAW

Odd hours and odd combinations, but no complaints :D Happy Wednesday!

Have you ever had to get out of bed at odd hours to satisfy a grumbling stomach?
What’s a food combo you’re loving lately?
What was today’s breakfast?

1 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 29, 2013 at 7:11 am

Yum stuff. I think a lot of casserole-like leftovers taste better cold the next day. Though I suppose lasagna is best hot and fresh, I usually eat the leftovers cold. So tasty!

Sorry about the early morning wake up. Hope you enjoyed an extra cuppa joe!
Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers recently posted..WIAW: Back on TrackMy Profile

2 Carly @ Snack Therapy May 29, 2013 at 7:12 am

Your meals always give me food envy! Especially the ice cream! As a kid, my dad used to always make cornflake chicken. He would dip chicken breasts into sour cream, dip them into a mixture of whole cornflakes + seasonings, bake them, and drizzle with butter. We’d have mashed potatoes and peas on the side. Sooooo amazing.
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..A Raging NarcissistMy Profile

3 Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 29, 2013 at 7:14 am

Girl! I swear you are me sometimes. That hunger can wake me up like a nagging toddler sometimes. And then forget about going back to sleep. it just doesn’t happen. I hope the oats arent behind your stomach woes. it’s so frustrating when you have to give up a feel good, healthy food you love because your stomach doesn’t agree. breakfast today was quick and from the office kitchen- 1 granola bar, handful of almonds & cashews, handful of blackberries and a couple slices of turkey. and of course, my sbux nonfat blonde misto :)
Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted..How To Lose Your Mind In 10 WaysMy Profile

4 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Ha! I love that you stay loyal to your coffee <3 I had a plain cup of jo this morning, but I’m definitely looking forward to grabbing my capp after work.

5 Ashley @ OurPersonalRecords May 29, 2013 at 7:21 am

I’ve never gotten out of bed because of being hungry. There are few things that actually wake me from sleep, and my alarm barely makes that list. I just love all food. Basically cheese with anything. I’m not adventurous like you and creating all sorts of unusual concoctions! I usually stick with a bowl of cereal or waffles, but today I had left over blueberry pancakes. They were delicious!
Ashley @ OurPersonalRecords recently posted..Productivity at it’s finestMy Profile

6 Jessie May 29, 2013 at 7:26 am

Girl, as if I don’t already wake up early enough (4 AM), I was up at 3:45 today with a stomach ready to attack me had I not given it something to eat. I couldn’t believe it.. & you know what, all it needed was a tiny handful of cereal. Really, it woke me up for that!!??!! Ha Ha!

I love the odd combination of yogurt, applesauce, banana, cereal & milk. However I think i’d have to skip the milk bc i HATE HATE HATE soggy cereal. I like it to be nice & crunchy!!

Have a great day love
Jessie recently posted..It’s not about comparisonMy Profile

7 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I’m a big fan of the crunch too, but I’ve found that milk actually changes the taste of the cereal, and sometimes makes it taste more amazing… if that was even possible.

8 Ja @ Ja on the RUN May 29, 2013 at 7:28 am

That happened to me last week. I woke at 4:30am but then I went out for a run to make use of the time.
My breakfast today was oatmeal with cherries and PB2. I never knew cherries and peanut butter are actually a good combination. :)
Ja @ Ja on the RUN recently posted..Simply BreakfastMy Profile

9 Megan @ runningonjava May 29, 2013 at 7:28 am

I’ve used cereal as a sub for bread crumbs on chicken as well – I’m a fan! I’ll have to try the fruit soup…I’ve been loving putting frozen fruit in almond milk when I don’t feel like getting all fancy and making it into actual ice cream :)
Megan @ runningonjava recently posted..i hate to admit this, but…My Profile

10 Lucie May 29, 2013 at 7:31 am

That almond milk/yogurt-fruit-soup is SO my taste!! I love soggy cereal and if I coul donly by almond milk and greek yogurt here, I would be all over it (so you know what to bring if you ever come to Switzerland :-))
I experience this disturbing appetite on weekends, when I want to sleep in. If my stomach does not get breakfast until shortly before 9, it starts to curse at me. Ugh.
Today’s breakfast was an omelette – how creative, right? :-)
Happy Wednesday girl!!
Lucie recently posted..WIAW#22 – What I Ate Wednesday – Eat all the EGGS!My Profile

11 Khushboo May 29, 2013 at 7:33 am

Haha thank goodness I’m not the only sleepless one around today! I fell asleep at 1.30 am last night and was up by 5 am. I wish hunger was to blame but i think it had more to do with my caffeine intake yesterday and just my mind running on overdrive! Although the day seems crazily long today, I also feel very productive- I might have to start waking up before the crack of dawn more often…I managed to get so much done before the time I’d normally be waking up ;)!

See you for dinner on Sunday :)! Dinner is all you but I’m requesting that delicious bowl of cookies & ice cream for dessert….please and thank you!
Khushboo recently posted..Wednesday tangentsMy Profile

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I definitely love being a morning person, but it makes me feel like I should be going to sleep at 8 PM or something. Things just start feeling a little crazy once you reach the “I’ve been up for 19 hours” mark :shock:

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 29, 2013 at 7:53 am

Remind me to stop whining to you when Atti wakes me up at 5:30-6:00 am…4:30 is just ungodly to me. But it’s awesome that your appetite is kicking back in! My stomach is usually pretty quiet at night, fortunately…and my desire to sleep tends to beat all if it does start growling. It usually takes me an hour or so for my appetite to kick in, so I can’t remember the last time I needed to head straight for the kitchen.
No matter if I have an hour to make breakfast or 10 minutse, 90% of the time I’m going with simple. My brain just does not want to put the effort into a fancy breakfast that early in the morning.

Food combo I’m loving lately: goat cheese and blueberries. I’ve been throwing it into salads with spinach, olive oil, fig balsamic, chicken and sweet potato, and it has been amazing. Breakfast was PB & J oats with a fried egg…please, act shocked by that. :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: More Conference Eats.My Profile

14 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Complete shock over here. Mind blown ;)

15 Shreya @ rushofendorphins May 29, 2013 at 7:59 am

2 times in the last week I’ve woken up at 5 starving. But then I go downstairs all zombified, drink a glass of milk, and go back to sleep like a baby!
Shreya @ rushofendorphins recently posted..ProgressMy Profile

16 Lisa May 29, 2013 at 8:02 am

Story of my life.
Those early morning times happens to me a lot, and I’m always confused. Even though I know it’s just out of hunger most of the time that I wake up. Oh well, it happens, but it sure does make the day too long. When I get up that early I always make it an excuse that Starbucks is necessary;)
Ohhh food combo I’m loving…hm tough call! Probably avocado + cocoa powder. Amazing.
Lisa recently posted..Chocolate SunButter Chia PuddingMy Profile

17 Hollie May 29, 2013 at 8:07 am

Actually funny story, I normally eat breakfast around that time anyway LOL. Sometimes around 5. Races that start at 7am, I eat breakfast at 4am. I can’t run on an empty stomach so if I’m racing at 6…I’ll wake up even earlier. Moving on, I keep powerbars in my night stand…sometimes I get really hungry around 2-3am. (true story).

Hopefully your stomach is now settling in and tomorrow it will be 530….then 630…then 730…or whenever you eat :-)
Hollie recently posted..Majestic Diner Review (Long Island area)My Profile

18 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 29, 2013 at 8:10 am

This entire post made me laugh so hard. Your coffee mug is SO adorable! If you find it missing one day, don’t worry about it ;) (and ignore the fact that that meant that I snuck into your house to steal your coffee mug…). Your fruit soup actually sounds incredibly appetizing. That may be my lunch…

Anyway, my body wakes me up regularly at 2 or 3 am every few days and demands food. I think this is a sign that I need to eat more at dinner, but my dinners usually are pretty large anyways, so I don’t know what the dealio is. But I feel you; it’s SO annoying.
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..WIAW #3My Profile

19 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Maybe it just means you need to start having dessert after dinner ;) I always eat before I go to sleep, and I’m usually okay through the night. I’m thinking that this sort of thing has a lot to do with the whole wonky appetite. Hopefully it works itself out soon because I want my sleep!

20 Sarah @PickyRunner May 29, 2013 at 8:10 am

Oreos. Yum. You can’t go wrong with those. I hate when my growling stomach wakes me up at weird hours to eat but when it tells me it needs food, I better listen. I hope your stomach gets onto a normal schedule soon so you can sleep!
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..You’re healthy enoughMy Profile

21 Ashlee@HisnHers May 29, 2013 at 8:11 am

Love your Minnie mug! And your homemade apple sauce looks delicious!
Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted..Baked Spaghetti + Workout FailMy Profile

22 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile May 29, 2013 at 8:18 am

I’ve never had hunger actually wake me up from sleeping, but I’m usually staaaarving when I wake up!! I love breakfast. haha
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Nothing BetterMy Profile

23 Sky @ The Blonde In Black May 29, 2013 at 8:22 am

I love seeing your WIAW pictures! My stomach has been weird lately too. Yesterday I could barely stuff down a half piece of toast with peanut butter. Today my stomach is a raging machine of hunger. Those oatmeal cookies you made look delicious too!

24 Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian May 29, 2013 at 8:25 am

I’ve woken up at 4:30 AM a few times in the past few months, not due to hunger, just due to waking up and not being able to get back to sleep. Whenever that happens, I try to be super productive with the extra time in my day, but eventually get so tired that I can barely function.
Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian recently posted..Completely UnexpectedMy Profile

25 Miss Polkadot May 29, 2013 at 8:26 am

Gah, 4:30 AM is basically middle-of-the-night for me, still. I’m so sorry your stomach insisted on you getting up that early. However, if it marked the return of your appetite than that’d at least be something, right?
Admittedly, I did have a few occasions of getting up sometime around 2 AM to tame the hunger beast last year. Luckily, I was able to fall back asleep after getting enough food in, though.
Ooh, your ice cream bowl reminds me of the Oreo cookies I finally allowed myself to have again lately. Only I tried to be semi-healthy and used them as a topping for chia pudding. Verdict? Thumbs down for the pudding but I’d happily munch on some Oreos again.
One food combo I’ve been liking lately has been Greek yogurt mixed with coconut flour and banana flakes, cooked speltberries stirred in and topped with hazelnut butter (latest addiction).
Happy Wednesday!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Giving [pantry] shelf warmers a second chanceMy Profile

26 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 12:50 pm

As much as I love Oreos, I’m pretty sure that even they wouldn’t be able to save chia pudding for me. I’ve tried it on a few occasions in the past and just couldn’t get past the gloopiness. I definitely recommend ice cream as an alternative ;)

27 Parita May 29, 2013 at 8:29 am

Your WIAW always make my mouth water! YUM.

And I’m really loving the chocolate + coconut combo lately (as evident by my post today)!
Parita recently posted..Dark Chocolate Coconut Banana BreadMy Profile

28 AC May 29, 2013 at 8:41 am

YES! I often wake up STARVING at 4-5…I hate eating that early because once I do, I’m really awake and can’t fall back asleep
Lately, I’m loving TJ’s glutenfree waffles with sunflower butter. SO GOOD. Also: baked sweet potatoes with coconut oil and cinnamon and poached eggs on salad
Eating breakfast right now! Farmers’ market strawberries, a few blueberries, plain Greek yogurt, blueberry hemp granola and roasted almond butter. Delicious!
Hope everything sorts out with your stomach!

29 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) May 29, 2013 at 8:41 am

Yum to all of that! The snack combo with the soggy cereal sounds amazing!
Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) recently posted..WIAW: BBQ’s and back to normalMy Profile

30 SD May 29, 2013 at 8:51 am

I have recently tried a new to me toasted sandwich that I am all gagas over right now. Its homemade applesauce and macadimia nut butter with a ton of cinnamon toasted to melty perfection..like biting into abit of heaven ;D . I’ve had it for breakfast the past three days.. I’m obsessed!!

31 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 12:51 pm

:shock: That -does- sound amazing! I’ve gone the melty banana and almond butter route, but never tried it with applesauce. I’m definitely going to give it a try!

32 Missy May 29, 2013 at 8:57 am

Seems like you are feeling a little better ….good!
Missy recently posted..ReflectionsMy Profile

33 Ari @ The Pace of it All May 29, 2013 at 9:11 am

Yummmmmm. Your food always makes my tummy happy, and rumbly lol. I HATE when my stomach wakes me up in the morning, that always ticks me off! Glad your appetite has come back tho lol
Ari @ The Pace of it All recently posted..Ask Ari… answers on running, teaching and travel.My Profile

34 Andrea May 29, 2013 at 9:11 am

Oh my, YES I have had to get up just to satisfy a grumbling stomach – and usually I have no idea why I’m so hungry since I usually snack before bed :) Lots of foods I’m loving lately – homemade guacamole, salsa, a crazy amount of fruit, and homemade pickles. Can’t get enough! My breakfast today was delicious – oats topped with banana, blueberries, peanut crunch butter, homemade strawberry jam, and raw buckwheat groats. On the wonky stomach front, have you considered that maybe a different food besides the oats is causing it? In just the same way that the oats did?

Have a beautiful day Amanda!

35 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I haven’t really considered any other foods, no… mostly because I didn’t really change my diet much aside from adding in the oats. If getting rid of them doesn’t help, then I’ll start to consider other options, but it can just be so overwhelming when you have to analyze everything and try to pinpoint what it is…

36 Andrea May 29, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Yes, I can imagine :/ Hopefully it’s just a fluke though!

37 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy May 29, 2013 at 9:13 am

I never get out of bed to eat, but I have gotten up for a big ol glass of milk or water.
I’ve been on a sweet and salty kick. I put sea salt in my stevia, cinnamon oatmeal yesterday… weird I know. It was good though.
Today I am have birthday cake for breakfast/lunch… It’s my sons b-day money is very tight and I will gladly give up my lunch money to make him a beautiful homemade cake out of a box. ;-) Happy WIAW!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..WIAW Weight Loss By Not DietingMy Profile

38 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Happy Birthday to your little guy! That’s super sweet of you :) And confession: I add salt to my oatmeal all the time. I find it really brings out the sweetness of everything else!

39 Ashley @ Life and Fitness May 29, 2013 at 9:17 am

Isn’t the weirdest combinations of foods the tastiest sometimes? I was always skeptical of brownies that had zucchini in them or pumpkin hiding in there. But they were always delicious.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..WIAW-Almost CavedMy Profile

40 Sarah Pie May 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

I had a big plate of potatoes and eggs today (long day I figured I should eat something good!) I’m loving your cereal chicken though (I usually use corn chex to the same effect).
Sarah Pie recently posted..WIAW #9: Eats on the go!My Profile

41 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

I’m with you on eating odd combos! They always end up being the best! I like the “fruit soup” idea. I would totally eat that!

For breakfast this a.m., I had an avocado/chocolate (I use unsweetened coco powder)/banana protein smoothie. It was soooooo yummy! I made it super thick (like pudding), so I could eat it with a spoon. Healthy and satisfying! Yay!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Memorial Day HighlightsMy Profile

42 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Your smoothie really does sound amazing! The best kind are the kind you eat with a spoon. My rule is that if I can suck it up with a straw, it’s not thick enough. Happy Wednesday, girl!

43 Christina May 29, 2013 at 9:22 am

Everything looks so good! Especially your cookies – I haven’t made cookies like that in YEARS! Might have to dig out my old recipe at the weekend.
Christina recently posted..WIAW – Bank Holiday EditionMy Profile

44 Alex (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) May 29, 2013 at 9:38 am

This morning’s breakfast: I had a Greek yogurt bowl. Thought of you while I made it :)
That fruit soup looks amazing. I definitely need to give it a try. I used to love tossing some greek yogurt + cereal in a bowl and drizzling it with almond milk. I bet the applesauce makes it even better!
Alex (Veggin’ Out in the Kitchen) recently posted..WIAW – Memorial Day Eats (or everything but)My Profile

45 Alyssa @ Road to RD May 29, 2013 at 9:38 am

Interesting idea of the cereal, yogurt, and milk! I might give that a shot!
Alyssa @ Road to RD recently posted..WIAW- Vanilla Greek Yogurt Cranberry Banana BreadMy Profile

46 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle May 29, 2013 at 10:00 am

haha, i get up at 4 am every weekday for that workout before work! it is very rough. the cereal, yogurt, milk sounds intriguing.
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..WIAW #4: The One Featuring BananasMy Profile

47 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 1:11 pm

See now that’s definitely inspirational. I’m pretty sure that nothing short of hunger or some kind of disaster could force me out of bed that early.

48 Alex @ therunwithin May 29, 2013 at 10:02 am

my stomach seriously never feels hunger in the morning. I wish it did so I could be more of a breakfast person with ease.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..I Can See No WayMy Profile

49 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life May 29, 2013 at 10:04 am

Everything looks so delicious! I hate it when my stomach wakes me up extra early…hopefully everything will be back on track for you soon! I’m the same way about breakfast – I always think the night before that I’ll be exciting and try something different, but I always go with my tried and true favorite. Unfortunately, I notice that if I eat oats too often (so, for days in a row), my stomach goes all weird too. I hope that’s not the case for you, but maybe it wouldn’t hurt to not eat them for a little while? Like I said, hopefully your appetite gets back to normal soon!
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..WIAW: All Over the PlaceMy Profile

50 victoria @ reluctantlyskinny May 29, 2013 at 10:27 am

I’ve been getting so hungry when I lay down to go to bed lately – it’s terrible, because I usually get up and eat rather than just letting myself fall asleep. Maybe that’s why I never want breakfast..and why I can’t wake up in the morning!? Even your fruit soup looks delicious – all of your food photos always make me hungry!
victoria @ reluctantlyskinny recently posted..WIAW: recovering from the weekendMy Profile

51 Lauren May 29, 2013 at 10:28 am

I love putting milk over yogurt and cereal! I haven’t done it since college, so now you made me hungry for it! Specifically, I love using Puffins because they really soak up all the milk. Yum! I hate when my stomach wakes me up at like 3 in the morning because I know if I go down to eat anything, I’ll never fall back to sleep. I just pray it can wait until I get up in the morning. I have no idea how I used to sleep barely eating anything. NO idea.
Lauren recently posted..Butt Massages and Facebook AnnoyanceMy Profile

52 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I’m pretty sure I didn’t sleep back in the day when I wasn’t eating anything. Not on a regular basis, anyways. There were days where I’d just pass out from exhaustion, but overall? It was all fragmented. And I’ve actually been using the cereal crumbs from my bag of Cinnamon Harvest and Weetabix to soak up the milk. Since the pieces are all so small, it really feels like I’m eating some kind of cereal/oats… as long as I’m not adding too much milk and completely drowning them out.

53 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples May 29, 2013 at 10:58 am

now i have a major oatmeal raisin cookie craving :) ..ok so i’ve been asking everyone because i’ve been thinking of maybe joining in on the WIAW fun, but my iPhone pics aren’t cutting it – what kind of camera do you use?
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Exercise May Protect Against Alcohol’s Effect on Cognitive AbilitiesMy Profile

54 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I have a Canon EOS7D, but I use my iPhone for a lot of pics too. There are a lot of apps you can download that allow you to apply filters to your pictures so they don’t look so bland. Instagram is really good for that, and another one I really like is Picframe – that one allows you to make collages too.

55 Lift, Sleep, Eat May 29, 2013 at 11:01 am

Aw no! Annoying that you were up that early; my stomach sometimes does things like that..it hasnt in a while though!
Weetabix is such a delicious breakfast; I used to love it all warmed up to a paste like consistency and then topping it with sliced bananas! Weetabix warmed is the best! So comforting!
My Grandma always used to make weetabix chicken when I was younger; I’ll have to give it a go for myself!
Lift, Sleep, Eat recently posted..WIAW : Pancakes GaloreMy Profile

56 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 29, 2013 at 11:25 am

Isn’t it amazing how absolutely delicious leftovers can taste cold? It is not just pizza that tastes good right out of the fridge!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Hot and Sweet Pepper Jelly TempehMy Profile

57 Kay May 29, 2013 at 11:35 am

I also try to make sure breakfast is always a safe meal. I’m always starving after waking up so if I don’t have a nice oatmeal bowl I will just keep eating random stuff. Making pancakes takes too long when you’re hungry :)
I also add almond milk if I’m eating a yogurt & cereal bowl !

58 Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 29, 2013 at 11:39 am

I’m glad your appetite is back but sorry it came at such a bad time! It should have known you were sleeping! I hope it’s not the oatmeal upsetting your stomach.
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..WIAW #20My Profile

59 Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen May 29, 2013 at 11:45 am

I want that ice cream and cookies! I like those glutten free cookies too. :)
Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen recently posted..Home for the WeekendMy Profile

60 kris May 29, 2013 at 11:59 am

Wow – i officially can never complain about getting up early ever again. 4:30?? Thats almost closer to my bedtime sometimes haha. Most of the time its hunger around bedtime that has me getting up. I’ll toss and turn in bed for hrs, but once I get up to get food, I fall asleep in no time. I guess when ya gotta eat, ya gotta eat!
I’m not really a soup person, but I can definitely get aboard the fruit soup. Mmm that would’ve been a nice breakfast this AM. Breakfast this morning was cinnamon raisin toast with coconut butter and a banana-vanilla smoothie on the side. I’m trying to clean my fridge/freezer and attempting to use everything up.
kris recently posted..the weekend.My Profile

61 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 1:22 pm

It used to be closer to my bedtime, back in the day. I have no idea why my body suddenly decided to make the switch from a night owl to an early bird. And I have to say… for cleaning out the fridge, your breakfast sounds pretty darn good :P

62 L May 29, 2013 at 12:02 pm

out of all your food the thing I found the funniest was your tiny ice cream bowl with what looks like one cookie on top… I’m guessing you wont get through those very fast at that rate ;)

63 Allison @ Life's a Bowl May 29, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I’ve woken up around 4:30AM [give or take an hour or so] for the past month… Thankfully I’ve been going to bed earlier because of it so I don’t feel too tired. Hope you get things settled soon!
Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted..“Little bitty stingin’ rain… and big ol’ fat rain.”My Profile

64 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit May 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Ohhh, fruit soup, yum! I’ve had to get out of bed before due to hunger, I kind of like it though as I take it to mean my body is “working”! And I love eating, so double the fun! I’m still munching away on leftover birthday treats, icing, chocolate almond pie, so those have been a few of my favs :) Glad your appetite is coming back, even if it’s at wonky times!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Say What!?!? Wednesday 5.29.13My Profile

65 Liz @ I Heart Vegetables May 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I hate when you’re tired but you can’t sleep! That’s the worst!! :( I hope you have better luck tomorrow morning! Those cookies look excellent!

66 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin May 29, 2013 at 1:49 pm

When I was training for my first half over summer sometimes I would have to get out of bed in the middle of the night and eat a snack!! It was such a weird and new concept to me because I’d never had that happen before. I am not one of those people who can sleep when hungry! I love the idea of the “fruit soup” and it sounds like something I would try!
Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin recently posted..WIAW and a New PurchaseMy Profile

67 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I can’t sleep when I’m hungry either, and the ungodly hour wake-up calls would make a lot more sense if I was hardcore training for something, but I think my body is just going crazy :lol:

68 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 29, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I’ll eat your lunch leftovers!!! That looks amazing.

Fruit cereal too! I used to do something similar with cottage cheese, but never thought to add apple sauce. Copying you ASAP. :)

69 meredith May 29, 2013 at 2:19 pm

You should have called me this morning at 4:30 because I was totally up and making steel cut oatmeal lol. I was having a hungry hungry early am and I finally gave in and got up for the day to make a pot. My stomach was in desperate need of being filled properly with a bowl of oatmeal. Sometimes that is just what it takes to settle my stomach rumbling. I am exhausted now! I am always up early but I literally had to hold off until 430 rather than being up for the day at 300 am!
meredith recently posted..Your Happy Pill. Without The Pill.My Profile

70 Brittany May 29, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I don’t think I have ever gotten out of bed to eat that early in the morning haha. My appetite is non existent until I’m awake for at least an hour. Knock on wood…OHH my gosh that ice cream and cookies. I need…right now.
Brittany recently posted..The Key to (MY) Successful RunningMy Profile

71 Maddy May 29, 2013 at 5:27 pm

That yogurt/milk snack looks really good. Definitely going to be trying that soon. I’m a weirdo who likes cereal soggy, and will purposely wait for it to get soggy enough (depending on the cereal).
Maddy recently posted..WIAW #2: A taste of Nepalese & moreMy Profile

72 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I’m actually a big fan of soggy cereal as well, as long as the milk doesn’t overwhelm it. I especially love using the crumbs because then it gets all pasty and… tasty? lol

73 Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 29, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Normally I leave your blog craving breakfast and cereal in a crazy need-it-now way, but today I’m actually craving that quinoa and chicken dish for dinner! Looks so good. And cookies on top of ice cream is one of the best food combinations out there.

74 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen May 29, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I had the same thing happen to me this morning! I was woken up at 5:30 am because I was hungry. Actually I usually wake up at 5:30 am anyways, but I’m not usually starving at that hour yet. So I dragged my butt out of bed and had banana egg white oatmeal with berries and Barney butter. Such a good way to start the day, even if I was super tired for the rest of it! :P
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Birthday eatsMy Profile

75 kaity @ kaityscooking May 29, 2013 at 6:33 pm

ahhh 430 is the worst time to get up at! that time you cant go back to sleep at, worst! I wish I wasnt allergic to greek yogurt bc your bfast always wants me to go right in the kitchen and whip that up! Hopefully you figure it out what is bothering your stomach, worst feeling! Same bfast for me todaY again, 2 eggs a sweet potato and kale with a lot of nut.yeast, cant get enough of it! I actually too woke up at 1am starving and had some left over pasta and veggies, so random that I was hungry but I am glad I got back to sleep I wouldve died lol I am on a hummus salsa refried beans combo kick, love my mexican!
kaity @ kaityscooking recently posted..WIAW: Mad EggsMy Profile

76 Devon @ Health in Equilibrium May 29, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I am crossing my fingers for you that oats will be able to stay in your life! Although, if they can’t, at least you still have cookies and ice cream ;)
Devon @ Health in Equilibrium recently posted..Little WinsMy Profile

77 Kat May 29, 2013 at 7:05 pm

You know I don’t think my appetite has ever gotten me up before. I have however, woken up to pee and had a grumbly tummy, but I just went back to sleep. Ive been getting up at 530 the past few mornings pretty hungry though, but that’s about when I typically get up!!
I hope its not the oats messing with your tummy :( That would be all too depressing!! Good thing you still have your beloved cereal and yogurt though!!
Kat recently posted..WIAW: Eating Healthy While On VacationMy Profile

78 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 29, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I have a hard time falling asleep when I’m hungry, or maybe my brain just goes into overdrive a little too quickly. And I’m seriously hoping it’s not the oats. But… better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? Lol I don’t know…

79 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body May 29, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Most of my food I prefer cold so I can totally understand why you found the left overs better cold :) Ouch, 4:30 is early for being awake, hopefully that won’t turn into a habit! I love the cereal on the chicken, although I have to admit I don’t like quinoa. No matter how much I try to like it…it’s just not my fave :)
Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted..A Life on HoldMy Profile

80 lindsay May 29, 2013 at 7:43 pm

that snack, with applesauce… it’s genius. Well, i like soggy milky crumbly goodness. And the cappucino froth.. gah. THE BEST.

81 lindsay May 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

oh and leftovers cold are my favorite. Are you sure we’re not related?
lindsay recently posted..Digital DilemmasMy Profile

82 Emily May 29, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Well, I feel you on the early mornings…I was already on my way to work at 4:30am! So crazy. Turns out here are quite a few people who make their way to Starbucks when we open the doors at 5am.
I’m happy to hear that your appetite is back though, even if it showed up at an inconvenient time! I knew it couldn’t stay away for too long- mine never does!

Oh, and I’m totally a pro at making Dry Cappuccinos now. I actually made one for myself today when I got off of work…love me some foam! <3
Emily recently posted..stop…double-timeMy Profile

83 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 30, 2013 at 5:16 am

That makes my dry cappucinno-loving heart all sorts of happy. So… when can I come visit? ;)

84 Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition May 29, 2013 at 8:34 pm

When I get hungry, I can’t sleep either! It’s the worst, but Almond butter and banana are always a good solution. Still need to go buy a jar of Maisie Janes- I am out of all nut butters right now and am starting to have a panic attack lol ;) Happy WIAW Amanda!
Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition recently posted..WIAW- Almost Wordless EditionMy Profile

85 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 29, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I adore your Minnie Mouse mug. There’s actually a similar one sitting in my cupboard, but your Minnie is far more…expressive? Mine is far too happy for sleepy (read: occasionally grumpy) mornings. ;)

I’m intrigued by your “fruit soup” snack. Umm, yum?! Even though I’ve always preferred crispy cereal, there’s something very appealing about slightly soggy crumbs mixed with Greek yogurt, applesauce and almond milk.

As far as climbing out of bed to satisfy a grumbling stomach goes, I’ve definitely been there. However I’ve realized that eating a hefty snack–more like a meal–right before bed usually prevents me from waking up *too* hungry in the morning. And speaking of morning…Breakfast this morning was scrambled eggs, sauteed sweet potato, spinach, and fresh raspberries. It was a nice change-up from the pancakes, waffles and sunnyside eggs I’ve been eating lately. :)

Happy Wednesday, Amanda! <3
Sara @ Nourish and Flourish recently posted..WIAW: Eating As an (Almost) EverythingtarianMy Profile

86 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie May 29, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I feel like I’m the only blogger who doesn’t wake up before 7…like ever. There are a few rare occasions that I wake up around 6, like if I’m going on vacation and have to leave as early as possible, but I’ve left the 5:15 AM wakeups behind with high school. I never understood why HS started so early when most teenagers prefer to sleep in as late as possible. I do tend to wake up pretty hungry though, but I’m thankful I haven’t woken up at a crazy early hour to satisfy my stomach!
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..WIAW: New and OldMy Profile

87 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Omg, that was me last night! I went to be at 11pm and was up at 2am with my hand in a cereal box!! I tried to lay there and tell myself to just go back to sleep (especially since I had a snack JUST before going to bed…I mean JUST…as in, I was IN BED when I ate it! Haha!).

I hope the oats aren’t the cause of your tummy woes, but I’m glad to hear your appetite is making a comeback…I know you’ve been a bit concerned!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Thoughts on Being SelfishMy Profile

88 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets June 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Look at you eating a real meal for dinner (not that cereal isn’t a real meal). It’s like I don’t even know you anymore. Glad to see your appetite is back and apparently calling for a few new things.
Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted..Week In Review: The Twenty First EditionMy Profile