. thinking out loud #30 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on May 9, 2013

Aaaaaaaand GO!

1. I can’t even begin to thank you guys for all of the sweet comments you left on my last post. It’s a beautiful thing to be able to look back and realize how far you’ve come, especially when you pair that with reading the success stories of others. Don’t laugh, but I’ve got a folder set up in my e-mail account where I save comments and messages that really make me gush. I know. I’m a total sap…

Sweetest Comments Folder

2. There are certain comments that definitely do not make the cut, though. You know you’re writing quality content when acne cysts are commenting on it ;)

Acne Cyst Comment

3. It’s official. I’m not a fan of Starbucks’ Happy Hour…

Happy Hour

I always hit up Starbucks after work to enjoy my daily capp and get some blog work done, but ever since Happy Hour started, the place has become a less-than-pleasant work spot. Big crowds. Loud people. New trainees that can’t make a decent cappuccino. Ugh. May 13th can’t come soon enough…

4. Speaking of huge crowds, I mustered up some courage and decided to brave the ones at Target last night…

Target

Target was only introduced to Canada a little while ago, and our store here in Edmonton just opened its doors something like a week ago (maybe??). I wanted to avoid the initial stampede of people, buuuuut curiosity got the better of me and I had to see what all the fuss was about. Maybe I set my expectations way too high after hearing everyone in the blog world rave about it, but… I really wasn’t all that impressed. The prices didn’t rock my socks off, and I didn’t really come across many things that I couldn’t get anywhere else. I did, however, walk away with a hot pink loofa…

Pink Loofa

5. And I may or may not have made up for my lack of Target buys during my subsequent walk in the mall…

Chanel Bag

Beauty Buys
Lush Buys

Chanel Hydra Beauty Crème – MAC paint pot in Painterly – Lush’s R&B and Honey Trap lip balm.

The way I see it, I… yeah, no – I don’t really have a legit justification aside from needing/wanting those things.

6. I also don’t really have a justification for this picture that I took of my neighbor’s cat…

Cat Creeper

I was opening my window the other day and saw him (her?) sitting there looking all cute and felt compelled to tell you guys about it. I swear I’m not a creeper :shock:

7. I picked up a hanging jewelry organizer in Winners (Canadian equivalent of TJMaxx) the other day…

Jewelry Organizer

Now, I don’t really have any sort of extensive jewelry collection to boast about, but I do have a cluttered nail polish collection that I’m constantly complaining about – or at least I did

Nail Polish Clutter

Before.

Nail Polish

After.

8. I’m pretty particular about my oats. They have to be cooked just so, and have a nice cakey/pillowy texture. Runny oats skeeve me out. I honestly have no idea how people can eat them when they’re all soupy :shock:

Perfect Oats

9. This song just tugs at my heartstrings…

10. But before I start feeling too lonely, I’d like to share one of the perks of living alone: not having to worry about anyone stealing your last banana…

Last Banana

MINE!

Do you like shopping at Target? What do you normally buy there?
How do you like your oats? Rolled? Steel cut? Baked? Overnight? Raw? In cookies? As granola?
What jewelry do you wear on an everyday basis?

1 Sara @ Magia e Pasta May 9, 2013 at 7:12 am

Using the jewelry organizer for your nail polish is brilliant! Totally stealing that idea :)
Sara @ Magia e Pasta recently posted..Passport DCMy Profile

2 Lisa May 9, 2013 at 7:14 am

I just went to Mac yesterday and picked up that same pot haha awesome.
I looooove your nail polish collection. Love it, mine is so disorganized. I should really get better at that.
I also love bananas when they’re that right perfect for oats or banana bread.
Same with my oats. No soupy style for me
Happy Thursday love!
Lisa recently posted..My Definition Of HealthyMy Profile

3 Emma May 9, 2013 at 7:15 am

Wow! Your oats look heavenly, what’s your cooking secret?

4 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 8:27 am
5 Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 9, 2013 at 7:17 am

Aww I love that idea to make a “sweetest comments” folder. Especially for days when the world feels like “ugh” that would be the perfect folder to read. i love it, i may steal that idea :) my friends always tell me that i need to mix up my jewelry combo because i literally wear the same thing every day- pearl earrings my mom gave me a while ago and a necklace my boyfriend gave me for christmas. i love both pieces so much, i can’t not wear them. sometimes ill add a bangle. depends on my mood.

And i love the way you sorted your colors in the nail polish holder- it’s so pretty!
Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted..Happy Birthday / Mother’s Day, Mom!My Profile

6 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 8:29 am

Looking through that folder definitely helps when I’m going through one of those blogging funks. And wearing jewelry that has such special meaning behind it is so sweet! Why on earth would you want to switch it up? Pft.

7 Jessie May 9, 2013 at 7:23 am

Can you believe Kuwait DOESN’T celebrate Starbucks Happy Hour deal. Seriously, what is going on w/ this country??!!! With that being said, my starbucks isn’t crowded so if you want you can fly here & we can go blog and have our peace & quiet.. Ill even pay for yours so it’s like your geting half off =) lol
Jessie recently posted..2 separate reviews & a giveawayMy Profile

8 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 9, 2013 at 7:24 am

I love Target for really cheap cute t-shirts and shorts, workout clothes, home decor stuff and some hard-to-find food products. I always wear earrings… I have two holes in each ear and I never take out these little diamond studs in my 2nd hole, but I change up the other one. I also always wear my wedding ring and another ring on my right ring finger and usually wear a bracelet and sometimes a watch.

I was wondering why Starbucks has been so busy and didn’t even think about it being happy hour….my son and I couldn’t even find a seat last time we were in there! :(
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Waffles for MomMy Profile

9 Heather @fitncookies May 9, 2013 at 7:29 am

I didn’t know you were from Canada! Do you have Walmart there? I actually prefer that to Target. The prices at Target are expensive if you ask me and I don’t really see the huge deal either. I would love to never worry about the last banana.. I always have to call dibs!

That jewelry organizer is amazing for nail polish!! Such a great idea. I need to do it lol

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 8:34 am

We do have Walmart! And it’s a lot bigger than Target, but that might just be because it’s been around for so much longer…

11 SD May 9, 2013 at 7:35 am

I don’t always have time to leave a comment but I would just like to say that I’m always left with a really good feeling after reading your posts. . .whether it’s smiling inside, that totally-can-relate feeling, or deeply inspired its always good :D ! So just to echo everyone else – thank you and keep being you ;) . No Target on my end of the world. I think I enjoy oats in every single way possible; its just so versatile.

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 8:35 am

Awwwr gush. Thanks SD <3

13 Sarah @PickyRunner May 9, 2013 at 7:35 am

Target is seriously an addiction. I remember the first one that went in by my house at home and I swear to god my mom acted like it was Christmas. She is obsessed with that store. Okay, I am too, but still. They just have the best stuff there! I can never walk out of that place without buying half the store. Which reminds me, I should go there today to find a dress for the athletics banquet… the spam comments always crack me up. I am constantly trying to figure out what I said in a post that caused them. Usually I’m still baffled.
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Time to CelebrateMy Profile

14 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 9, 2013 at 7:35 am

I 100% agree with you on the oats, but then again, I think we may have had this “discussion” before. haha I’ll be braving Target today, so wish me luck!

Must not buy all the things!!!
Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers recently posted..Workouts & Why I’m Not RunningMy Profile

15 Khushboo May 9, 2013 at 7:40 am

I might be going against the blogger grain but Chanel definitely trumps Target ;)! Living your stash of Essie- I’m actually at the salon now and your pic is making me think I should go for a bright color like an orange..hmm you got me confused now!

As much as I love toppings on my oatmeal, I’ve started to embrace more simpler bowls with just applesauce and almonds! Have you tried raw oats in your yogurt bowls? Too die for (with applesauce & almond butter of course)!

Happy Thursday, girlie!
Khushboo recently posted..Za’atar QuinoaMy Profile

16 Khushboo May 9, 2013 at 7:42 am

Loving not loving :-)
Khushboo recently posted..Za’atar QuinoaMy Profile

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 8:42 am

Oooo an orange would look great on you! Especially at this time of the year :D And yessss the raw oats in yogurt bowls are fantastic. So chewy and nutty <3

Hope you’re having an awesome Thursday, Khushboo!

18 Lisa @ Live and Be Awesome May 9, 2013 at 7:41 am

What I always loved about Target in the States was the wide variety of candy, and I don’t know if they’ll have the same collection in Canada. So if not, it loses all its appeal for me haha.
Lisa @ Live and Be Awesome recently posted..Zombies, Run!My Profile

19 Hollie May 9, 2013 at 7:50 am

Wow someone that doesn’t care for target? That is almost unheard of! LOL. I actually do the majority of my grocery shopping at Target.

Your nailpolish collection is pretty baller, I’m not going to lie. When I was in college and was only like 15 minutes from Canada, we would go to winners. I liked it the most because of the name seriously. I always wanted to find a shirt that just said “Winners” or “Department of Winners”…but of course they didn’t have that.
Hollie recently posted..Mountain Goat Run 10 Miler (1:08.23)My Profile

20 Ashlee@HisnHers May 9, 2013 at 7:55 am

Eeek runny outs skeeve me out as well! Yuck!
And I love Target in comparison to Walmart, that is all. I mean Target isn’t amazing on its own but if comparing it to similar stores it’s SO much better!
I love everything LUSH. They make some amazing products!
Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted..We’re planting a garden!My Profile

21 Hayley May 9, 2013 at 7:55 am

I am so with you on the oats!! I love mine just like you do!! I love overnight oats or egg white oats! I also end up going to target and getting way more than I need! I have fallen in love with all their clothes…they have gotten such cute stuff for the summer!!
Hayley recently posted..An Award!My Profile

22 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 9, 2013 at 7:56 am

I laughed so hard at the picture of your neighbor’s cat! Also, love your nail polish idea. It’s so handy! I keep my nail polish stash in a plastic bag…it gets a little inconvenient after a while. :)

Target’s pretty good if you need snacky foods or random around-the-house-stuff like shampoo, toothpaste, dishes/cups, etc. It’s a no-go for produce or clothes (at least for me). Although I do experience the phenomenon where if I go into a Target for let’s say shampoo and conditioner, I somehow come out with bottles and bottles of nail polish, boxes of snacks, a pillow, some extra pens just because…you get the picture! :)
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..Chocolate Banana Berry Overnight OatsMy Profile

23 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 8:55 am

I totally expected that to happen to me based on what other bloggers seem to complain about all the time, but I only walked out with that one thing. It’s actually the worst for me at grocery stores – I go in for toothpaste and walk out with 5 bags worth of stuff that I didn’t know I needed ;)

24 Lawrence May 9, 2013 at 7:56 am

I am a Steel Cut man myself. I need something with a little bite when I have my cereal lol.

I am loving your blog..so keep it coming:)
Lawrence recently posted..Elevator Face-OffMy Profile

25 Ashley @ Life and Fitness May 9, 2013 at 7:59 am

It’s probably a good thing you weren’t a huge fan of Target. You can not just buy one thing from that store. It gets me every time. I use the painterly paint pot too. It’s such a great universal color that’s flattering.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Thoughts On A ThursdayMy Profile

26 CL May 9, 2013 at 7:59 am

I LOVE target. They have great inexpensive swimsuits, good deals on food, and nice giftwrap stuff (I love giftwrapping haha!). You can also get some good deals on small kitchen appliances (toasters, blenders, etc) and books/DVDs. It’s one stop shopping! And their popcorn is so addictive. It’s 1 billion x saltier than any other popcorn, but it’s delish

Oatmeal…I like cooked pretty firm with lots of cinnamon. Not a fan of oatmeal cookies (just give me the chocolate chip ones, please). I do love granola!!

I almost never wear jewelry…I always forget to put it on! Too much of a hassle haha

27 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 8:58 am

Ha! Finally someone who shares my views on jewelry! I almost never wear any because I can’t stand it clunking and sliding around on my wrists and fingers. On special occasions? Maybe. But everyday? No.

28 Shreya @ rushofendorphins May 9, 2013 at 8:13 am

That’s a great way to organize your nail polish… So smart, Amanda! – I’m gonna have to leech off that idea ;)

I love oatmeal in any form – thick or soupy, in cookies, as granola or muesli… And I only tried them less than a year ago!!!
Shreya @ rushofendorphins recently posted..ProgressMy Profile

29 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 9, 2013 at 8:18 am

Spam comments are so annoying! I love those organizers you bought, those are awesome! And I have to get in and out of Target as fast as possible or I’ll do some serious damage. ;)
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..‘Cool as a Cucumber’ Beet JuiceMy Profile

30 Tamara May 9, 2013 at 8:18 am

What DON’T I buy at Target? Over the years, I’ve purchased the following and more: Workout and other apparel, shoes, books, CDs, DVDs, almond & coconut milk, toiletries, bath tissue and paper towel, greeting cards, makeup, toys (as gifts), kitchen gadgets, mirrors, accessories, office supplies, candles, nutrition bars, various food products… the list, it goes on.
How DON’T I like my oats?! (Hmm, a trend!) All of the above, please. :)
Tamara recently posted..Fun Finds #1My Profile

31 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin May 9, 2013 at 8:18 am

LOVE the nail polish in the jewelry hanger! Totally something you would see on Pinterest. I may have to do that…

32 Taylor May 9, 2013 at 8:26 am

I did the exact same thing! I went to Starbucks to study and was like why on earth are there a million people in here..low and behold it was ‘happy hour’.
Taylor recently posted..You’ll Move MountainsMy Profile

33 Ari May 9, 2013 at 8:32 am

You walked out of Target with just a loofah? You make me sad. Lol! And ooh, fun shopping… love your nail polish solution!
Ari recently posted..Rallying (and iPhone snapping) at the Capitol…My Profile

34 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 9:02 am

But… but… it was hot pink!! :oops:

35 Carly @ Snack Therapy May 9, 2013 at 8:32 am

You have the most impressive nail polish collection I’ve ever seen. I’m coming to live with you. I’ll cook you dinner every night in exchange for full nail polish access.
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..Skipping Over SchoolMy Profile

36 Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom May 9, 2013 at 8:38 am

I like Target, but I’m a rare breed of American who can actually go into Target and leave empty handed. I love their clearance rack, but the Targets in my area are NOT that impressive! However, I did find a HUGE Super Target about 20 mins from my house that’s worth the trek. I usually buy workout clothes, bikini tops, or clothes.

I like my oats all sorts of way! I love oatmeal so much its ridiculous. I’m going to go out on a limb and say oatmeal to me is how cereal is to you. I just can’t get enough ;)

The only jewelry I wear everyday is my nose ring and one of my ear piercings. Exciting. I used to have a necklace that I wore every day, but when my ex and I broke up, I stopped wearing it because it was too sentimental. Now I only wear that necklace on special occasions!
Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted..Why I’m Single and Will Be #ForeverAloneMy Profile

37 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 9:09 am

I usually only wear small hoop earrings as well. All of the other things are just too much hassle, and it’s kind of hard to believe that I used to walk around with half my arms covered in various bangles and bracelets when I was younger :shock:

38 Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living May 9, 2013 at 8:41 am

I like Target a lot. Like way too much. I buy magazines, books, clothes, groceries, décor, and of course, everything in the $1 section :)
Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living recently posted..Blogging>ChoresMy Profile

39 Alex @ therunwithin May 9, 2013 at 8:42 am

this makes me smile, you would have a sweetest comments box. I love that! I could do a whole post about my past life as well, it is hard to even think about it because it is so disconnected to who I am now (thank god). as for target, I think we could have a ton of fun exploring that place. I could spend hours in just their kitchen section. I get that mind set of I need all the things!
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Breathe in For LuckMy Profile

40 Chelsea May 9, 2013 at 8:44 am

I think the thing I love most about Target is the fact that all their store brand food is absolutely delicious! Like, of all the Kroger-type brands, its the tops!

Sorry about the packed Starbucks. The one right by my house got so bad I stopped going, and to this day I’ll only go if I’m desperate and I always use the drive-thru, lol
Chelsea recently posted..A fitness thoughtMy Profile

41 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 9, 2013 at 8:58 am

I need that organizer, but for my jewelry! I love your creative idea to use it for fingernail polish, though. And seriously, I am beyond jealous of your collection. You have some amazing colors. I want those orange/coral colors for Summer!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: May 8, 2013 + The Best Vegetarian BLTMy Profile

42 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 10:09 am

Thanks girl! It’s funny because I keep telling myself to experiment with more colours and move away from the corals and pinks, but they just suck me in every time. And the worst part is that sometimes there’s only the subtlest difference between shades, so it’s like… do I -really- need another shade of pink?

Hope you’re having a great Thursday!

43 Christina @Thetinyrunner May 9, 2013 at 9:02 am

I LOVE target! I come out with something different every time! I know exactly what you mean about Starbucks happy hour- I feel the same way. It is obnoxious!

44 Lauren May 9, 2013 at 9:12 am

You weren’t impressed by Target?! UGH. I die. The store sucks me in and I cannot leave empty handed. Ever. I love my oats to be hearty and thick. I will remake them if they come out too runny… Actually, I’d rather slightly burn them than have them undercooked. Ew. You are such a creeper! Hahaha. Just kidding :-)
Lauren recently posted..PT: No Pain, No Gain.My Profile

45 Lift, Sleep, Eat May 9, 2013 at 9:19 am

Ah wow I need an organiser like that in my life; I have so much nail polish floating around! So much easier to find them when its neat and organised like that :).
I’m really fussy about my oats as well; I don’t mind whether they’re baked/overmight/regular as long as they’re thick! I agree I cannot stand soupy oats, they have to feel substantial to me!
I really wanna see what the big thing about Target is; we don’t have them in the UK and everytime I visit the U.S. they seem to evade me! I’m gonna have to track one down next time I go on holiday there haha
Lift, Sleep, Eat recently posted..WIAW : Start of SummerMy Profile

46 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Hehe that sounds like me every time I take a visit to the States – scope out the nearest Whole Foods and stock up on all the food I can’t get up here.

47 Alyssa @ Road to RD May 9, 2013 at 9:51 am

I love Target! I’m glad you finally got one! And I totally agree with you on the Starbucks thing. I waited for over half an hour the other day to get my frap after I ordered it!
Alyssa @ Road to RD recently posted..And This is Why We Shouldn’t Compare Ourselves to CelebritiesMy Profile

48 morgan May 9, 2013 at 10:01 am

oooh. Target! it is a 3 hour drive away in the city but when I get up there, look out! I always wander those back end caps with the clearance stickers & find some treasures. There is just something about new & cool that always gets me there, like last time- they had Archer Farms GF quinoa pasta! and they have awesome cheap jewelry too. I am not a expensive person (our wedding bands are steel off ebay for like $80 ten years ago) but I love color & flash & target is good at both! Love oats in almost anything- raw in yogurt, rolled in cookies, whole in pancakes, I even use them in my salmon “burgers” for a little texture. Bob’s Red Mill GF are the best IMO. I always read your blog first thing in the AM with a big cup of coffee & it makes me smile- thanks!! (weird but living in Alaska I feel like Canada is very similar & we have a lot in common- LOL!)

49 Brittany May 9, 2013 at 10:14 am

I’m not a huge Target fan, I’ll go there for workout clothes or tampons and that’s about it. The prices are not exceptional, I don’t know WHO said they were haha! BOO about the crowded Starbucks I have not gone in during happy hour times at alllll. I like regular ol’ oats, oats in cookies, raw in breakfast bars, steel cut, man I just love all oats!
Brittany recently posted..BBQ Tofu BowlMy Profile

50 Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 9, 2013 at 10:29 am

I love your nail polish collection! I tried to stop at Starbucks for a half price yesterday and the line was out the door.
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..WIAW #17My Profile

51 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) May 9, 2013 at 10:34 am

Awesome polish set-up!!

I wear bracelets and necklaces on a regular basis.

52 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian May 9, 2013 at 10:40 am

I feel like the obsession with Target comes from the fact that it’s one-stop shopping. You can get grocery items, home improvement items, pet food, personal items, clothing, and groceries all under one roof. Plus, in the states – it’s definitely cheaper. Not as cheap as Walmart, but it’s around that neighborhood.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #51: Pasta Night {What I Ate Wednesday}My Profile

53 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Yeah I’m thinking you guys probably just have better ones down there in the States… in addition to having Whole foods and Trader Joe’s… Lucky buggers ;)

54 Jess May 9, 2013 at 11:24 am

Even photos of soupy oats make me want to gag. We seem to like oatmeal exactly the same texture…great minds and all that ;)

xxx

55 De @ Cooking for the Other Half May 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

Ahh! I have the same jewelry organizer but I use it for my jewelry. But that is an AMAZING idea. I, too, have way too much nail polish. Genius!
De @ Cooking for the Other Half recently posted..ghosts, or the longest post i’ve ever writtenMy Profile

56 jen May 9, 2013 at 11:40 am

ahhh i haven’t even been to target when i’ve visited the states, and they only have them outside the city, really. i live in a major city but was going up north to my cottage last weekend and spotted one and was like ‘bahhhh TARGET’ but i don’t want to get too excited. usually when things arrive here the prices are like a third more at least, i noticed that when abercrombie came like a while ago. i haven’t gone to jcrew yet and continue to buy stuff from their website. hopefully it will get better, i would just be interested in certain brands maybe but i don’t really know what their brands are. that banana looks so good though lskdjlfksdjf i want it now. xox

57 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I think the main brand that Target carries is Archer Farms. Some of their snacks looked good, and I was really interested in some of their coffees, but other than that… nothing too special.

58 Ashley @ OurPersonalRecords May 9, 2013 at 11:43 am

I don’t really care for Target. I will occasionally go if I need something and it’s convenient to go there, but I don’t get the hype about it. I like rolled oats, but that’s only because gluten free rolled oats are the easiest to find. The only other option I’ve come across is quick oats, and I don’t really care for those. Everyday I wear a necklace my sister bought me, a ring my mom bought me, and pair of earrings my boyfriend bought me, and a SPOON ring I bought myself. Everyday. If I forget a piece of said jewelry I feel naked. I want your nail polish collection!!

59 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 9, 2013 at 11:50 am

We cannot be friends anymore. Target is the SHIZ! Seriously, LOOOOOOOOOVE

PS – I’m just joking. We can still be friends.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..simple summer pasta saladMy Profile

60 Becky @ Olives n Wine May 9, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I totally need to do that with my nail polish!! I just have mine thrown into a random drawer and I have no idea what colors I have! I must say, I’m slightly Target-obsessed. (I actually work at HQ…) I can see how the media hyped up the entire experience. It is pretty much just like any other discount retailer… just slightly more fashionable!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Chicken Fried Tofu + Hooch + Derby Pie… What to Eat in Louisville!My Profile

61 Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl May 9, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I love Target, I have one within walking distance which is pretty dangerous. Every time I go in the store I have 1 or 2 things to get, and I end up coming out with 10. They have pretty great kitchen design things, and their clothes are getting better and better.
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl recently posted..Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chip Granola BarsMy Profile

62 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling May 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Maybe because it wasn’t a Super Target? I find the regular Targets to be kind of boring, but I love the Super Targets because they have all the food! haha. And usually a Starbucks ;)

63 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I have no idea if it was a Super Target or not, but it DID have a Starbucks, which is way better than the McDonalds’ that come in Walmart…

64 Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen May 9, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Haha I like the cat picture. Artsy! I’m a big Target fan but an even bigger fan of Channel, despite the fact I’ve never actually tried their products. Hm I’m clearly a product of marketing but I’d love to try their makeup!
Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen recently posted..Bestowed GiveawayMy Profile

65 Rosalie May 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I’m kind of disappointed with the Canadian Targets. They’re definitely very different from the American ones :/ (in a bad way). American Target deserves the praise it gets, Canadian Target is kind of just an upgraded Zellers to me. Buuut they have shoes in large sizes, for cheap, which is unbearably rare in my experience so I’m not totally dismissive ;)

66 Lisa May 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I like my oats the same way. :-)
Lisa recently posted..Welcome to my world!My Profile

67 Ashley May 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Honestly target makes me a little nervous, there’s too much stuff. I would have been much happier with just some lush lip balm (that stuff rocks) than a hectic target run.
Ashley recently posted..A Sunny Ol’ ThursdayMy Profile

68 Sophia May 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm

You are so sweet saving messages you find beautiful! I’m sure that folder comes in handy when you are feeling down- you are never really alone :) I like firm porridge too- usually rolled oats or sometimes steel cut just with honey and banana- I have simple tastes. And I love oat cookies of all kinds- the texture is great- real fresh butter on an oatmeal cookie or muffin is wonderful! That’s probably my second favourite way of eating oats after porridge- in a cookie/muffin spread with butter :) I am simple with jewellery too I occasionally wear a necklace but often have a bare neckline- but always wear the wrist-band my brother made me the summer he first was released from hospital- its made with shells we found on the beach xo Sophia

69 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Taking a glance through that folder definitely helps when the funky mood hits, and that’s so sweet that you wear a wrist band made by your brother :) It must bring back such wonderful memories every time you look at it.

70 Katherine May 9, 2013 at 2:14 pm

targets the best!! and i’m super jealous of your essie collection.
i love steel cut. speaking of, i just wrote a review of a place called OatMeals in NYC for the online food magazine i write for. you should check out their menu. its inspirational! you’d love it
Katherine recently posted..friends.My Profile

71 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Oh man :shock: That place sounds like heaven. I’m especially curious about The Canadian… or maybe that’s just me being biased ;)

72 meredith May 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I love Target but it is definitely not overly cheap. I have one down the block from where I live so it can be kinda fun just to take a stroll through and see what’s new. It is also great to have in pinch for the supermarket section…I love steel cut oats probably the best but I go through phases of choosing Old Fashioned oats (which my son recently decided is his favorite form over the steel cut).
meredith recently posted..I Am Nice. Really I Am…My Profile

73 Cori @ olivetorun May 9, 2013 at 2:16 pm

LOL to the banana comment. Ben and I fight over bananas all of the time so when you said it that made me laugh. Even if we try to buy even numbers so we will each have equal amounts we somehow always fight over the last one. Cracked me up!
Also, I suck at painting my nails. I’m definitely not lacking in options but I do NOT have that extensive of a collection. Impressive.
Cori @ olivetorun recently posted..Popeye “Runs” the Chicago Marathon- Race RecapMy Profile

74 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I’ve been adding to my collection for -years.- It’s like impossible to finish a bottle, so some of those are probably like 3 or 4 years old.

75 Michelle @ Mishfish13 May 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm

OH MY GOD. That nail polish collection. I want. For some reason, I always think I’m getting some vastly unique color that I’ve never had before only to bring it home and have it join 5 others that I’ve already bought before.
Michelle @ Mishfish13 recently posted..Why yellow fever is not OK.My Profile

76 Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Love love love that nail polish organization! Such a great idea. And I can’t believe you weren’t a fan of Target! You have to give it another chance. It’ll suck you in, roaming the aisles of kitchen appliances and home decor stuff..I always find about a thousand things I want and don’t need.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thursday Thoughts 5/9/13My Profile

77 Ja @ Ja on the RUN May 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Haha! #2 is funny! :) I like reading spam comments. I think they are hilarious! :)
I love Lush. When I go to Toronto to visit family. I would go to that store to get some scented soaps. I love it. I love Winners too! :)
I love Target to buy workout clothes. It’s really cheap there and the quality is not bad! :)
I like how you turned the jewelry organizer into nail polish organizer. :) That’s a LOT of nail polish!!!
Same here I get eat soupy oatmeal. Ek! I like it fluffy! :)
Ja @ Ja on the RUN recently posted..I Am Versatile! :) My Profile

78 Ja @ Ja on the RUN May 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I *dont eat soupy oatmeal.
Ja @ Ja on the RUN recently posted..I Am Versatile! :) My Profile

79 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie May 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I have to say, I’m pretty jealous that you weren’t that impressed by Target…because whenever I go, I always tell myself I’ll just browse and I always end up leaving with something I didn’t necessarily need but somehow convinced myself I did. I’ve bought countless bottles of nail polish, cute dishes, pairs of shoes and tote bags there just because they were on sale or caught my eye and while I love them all, my wallet doesn’t really appreciate my Target visits. However, I’m very disappointed in Target because after the peanut butter recall of last fall, they stopped making their almond cashew butter (my former fave) and it makes me sad that I can never get it again!
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..WIAW: 1 WeekMy Profile

80 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I think you guys just have better Targets in the States. Pretty much every Canadian I’ve talked to has been disappointed by Target, while the Americans keep raving about it. You guys are lucky buggers.

81 Clair May 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I LOL’d about your last banana… “MINE!” I haven’t been to Edmonton for the Target yet… Hopefully I can make it there sometime soon! I love going to the ones in the states. I get tired of Walmart. Maybe because that’s about the extent of the ‘shopping’ in my town!

82 Maddy May 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Ha! I love that you have a folder for Sweetest Comments. That reminds me of my old phone, where I’d never delete any text ever that made me smile. It got to be pretty difficult at one point, because my phone could only hold like 100-200 texts at a time. But I could not bring myself to delete them.

On a random note, I have to say, it’s awesome to find someone else who loves Starbucks as much as I do.

I’m honestly not a huge Target fan. I only go there when I need a Starbucks fix (gotta love Targets with Starbucks) and it’s the closest one, ha.

As far as oats go, I like old fashioned cooked the normal way. Overnight oats are good too, and they can be awesome in chocolate chip cookies.

The only jewelry I wear every day is my nose ring and belly button ring. Mostly because I don’t have to think about putting them in every morning because I just constantly wear them. OH and my class ring. I keep that on 24/7 too, or else I’m sure I would’ve lost it by now.
Maddy recently posted..the three Cs to happiness: Consume, Contemplate and CreateMy Profile

83 Kelly @ Femme Fitale May 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Thought #2… Amaaazing.

Thought #4… In my opinion, Target is simply a glorified Zellers. The Targets in Australia are SO expensive compared to Canada/States as well. #notafan
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..I Like Girls That Wear Abercrombie & Fitch (just not the CEO)My Profile

84 Kelly @ Femme Fitale May 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Oh and Thought #8… as I am reading this post, I am eating oatmeal to which I added just a bit too much milk. Hah!

85 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I’m with you on Canadian Target…not that exciting. Although, they did have a trail mix there that I wouldn’t mind going back for. US Targets, however…I go a little nuts ;-) I usually end up with shoes, about 6 different kinds of cereal, and different yogurt brands. I’m hoping to make a shopping trip down in the next month or two…I may have to make a list now :-p

And I have one of those jewellery hangers in my closet…that I got for Christmas and haven’t touched yet. It’s a good idea, but apparently I’m lazy! Since starting the job, I’ve been sticking to pretty simple jewellery (and the earrings stand out enough on their own). Usually my D & G watch and maybe a necklace, depending on the top that I’m wearing.

Oats – thick and goopy. Runny oats are an absolutely not.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Month Without a Plan.My Profile

86 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Wait… they have different cereals in American Target?! No fair!

87 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 9, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I’m not too impressed with the Canadian Targets either… I wish ours had all the cool food products in the American Targets! :P But I did get a cute purse at our store and I saw some necklaces that caught my eye too.

I like my oats halfway between chunky and runny – more of a pudding texture I guess? And I love them in granola and cookies too of course. :D
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Road trip ’13: Day 1My Profile

88 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I love Target!! I love the workout stuff, shoes, clothes… everything! Maybe it was picked over??? You must try again!
I want to come over and play in all your nail polish! :)
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..What’s Beautiful: Yes I Can!My Profile

89 Emily May 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm

OBSESSED with that nail polish storing idea! Seriously. Brilliant.
And I actually don’t blame you for not being blown away by Target. I do love it for being a one-stop shop but the prices aren’t usually anything to write home about. And it looks like you made WAY more exciting purchases at the mall anyways. (:
Emily recently posted..you have been choppedMy Profile

90 Kelly May 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I buy PICKLESSS YUMYUMYUM PICKLEPICKLEPICKLES TARGET JARRED PICKLES

91 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 9, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Omg, brilliant idea on the jewelry organizer! My nail polish stash has become quite the sight! I need to invest in one (or four?!) of those! Lol

Love Target! They have some of the best sales on clothes/purses/shoes…and I love shopping the homegoods section for new bowls and mugs (total weakness!)

I’m with you, my oats have to be SUPER thick! It always creeped me out when my sister would ask my mom to make her oats just by pouring hot water over them instead of using the microwave….ewww! I like them in overnight form too, but again, it has to be THICK!

I’m not big on jewelry. I usually just keep it simple with a pair of earrings unless I’m getting dressed up to go out and then maybe I’ll pull out a necklace!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..WIAW: Just Keep DroolingMy Profile

92 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 10, 2013 at 6:51 am

My mom is a soupy oat eater as well, which makes me question whether or not I was actually adopted :shock: And very much yes to simple jewelry… I only wear tiny hoop earrings that I never take out – I’m not really a fan of things clunking around on my wrists.

93 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Oh girl, I feel ya on the Starbucks happy hour. I popped in there several times while I was in San Francisco, and it was an absolute zoo. Not just busy, but complete chaos. I sincerely felt bad for the baristas because lines were literally out the door, customers were edgy, and drinks were being spilled right and left (yep, a latte ended up on my pants, and I have a little burn to prove it!). I guess half priced drinks are a successful marketing strategy on their part, though!

Bummer about Target, although I think you more than made up for the disappointment with those Chanel and Lush goodies. Whatsinsidewhatsinsidewhatsinside?! ;) I shop for basic food items at Target because the prices are relatively lower than at other grocery stores (at least in the US). And by basic items I mean Lindt chocolate and Reece’s peanut butter cups.

As far as oats go: our relationship is constantly evolving. Just a year ago, I couldn’t stomach oatmeal in any form, but I’ve learned to like rolled oats, and eat them when I’m craving something hearty in the morning. While I was in SF, I tried steel-cut for the first time (at Starbucks nonetheless!), and really enjoyed them, so I may be purchasing a bag soon. Granola, oatmeal cookies and oatmeal pancakes have ALWAYS been favorites, though!
Sara @ Nourish and Flourish recently posted..WIAW: My Favorite Food Day in the Bay {Sushiritto and Roam Burger}My Profile

94 kris May 10, 2013 at 1:37 am

I’m not really much of a target shopper although I live within 2 miles of one. I usually just go to the super walmart across the street from target because their bananas are cheaper. And once I’m in walmart I figure I may as well pick up all my other necessities (mainly just toiletries and almond milk) from there before going to get my groceries at my usual grocery stops.
Doesn’t it just feel the best to get thing organized?? Loving the way you paired all your polishes!
I like my oats on the denser side. Totally feel ya with the liquidy kind. Not good. Usually just rolled oats topped with some kind of fruit and nut butter. Simple, but yum :)
kris recently posted..yogurt + a juice latteMy Profile

95 Sara @my less serious life May 10, 2013 at 5:28 am

that last banana is a precious commodity!
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..i need a momentMy Profile

96 Jen @ SavedbytheKale May 10, 2013 at 5:38 am

Just wanted to tell you that I have followed your blog for awhile now without commenting, but wanted to say how much I enjoy reading all your posts. It is easy to tell how truthful and authentic they are and that is so refreshing. I loved your idea for using the jewelry organizer for nail polish. I may have to try that!

97 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 10, 2013 at 7:43 am

Awwr… thanks Jen! :)

98 jill May 10, 2013 at 7:27 am

Wish I lived alone…I’m sitll doing the rentals of less-than stellar places. Difficult to feel settled…really. But, that’s that.

My thinking out loud: “my god, I’m SO stuffed after the big breakfast I just had….I “binged” again last night on 1/4 cup almmond butter + 3/4 cup banana flavored yogurt + 2 oranges + a granola bar….awful :( …not hungry this morning but FORCED myself to eat double what I wanted..that seems to go against the ‘eat what you are hungry/want etc….but I also know I’ll get “too” excessively snacky if I don’t start trying a bigger breakfast…hard to transition now though cause my tummmy is pregnant and i can barely move , i’m so stuffed”…

my thinking out loud #2: “why do people only eat 1/2 apple or 1/2 banana at breakfast…sure i got halfway thru my ginormous-assed apple this morning and couldn’t stomach the thought of eating the rest….but I did..because…..”
I guess I’m a fruit fanatic…I tend to eat…a lot .

thinking out loud #3: 2 whole eggs + avocado + salsa + english muffin with TBSP + butter = yum

99 dixya@food, pleasure, and health May 10, 2013 at 8:17 am

Target is my goto store for random household stuff and anything else I need or often times do not need. I prefer more rolled oats overnight or in granola bars (read: eating one right now)..I really liked how you organized your nail polish, need to get one! Lately, I am really into necklaces but m not much of an accessory person.
dixya@food, pleasure, and health recently posted..Virtual Coffee Date {Peanut Butter Crisps}My Profile

100 Lauren May 10, 2013 at 9:52 am

People get excited over a Target?? Maybe it’s because I’ve always had one nearby but I’ve never thought it was all that great. Every time I go, I end up buying things I don’t need!

101 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) May 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I wish we had target in the UK! So jealous :-) Love that you have a folder in your email for that – James told me to start saving sweet comments so that when I have a blog downer day, I can look back and remind myself why I love blogging and helping others :-)
Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) recently posted..My favourite dress + iced coffeeMy Profile

102 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Definitely start saving them! I read mine whenever I find myself in a blogging funk, and it always helps :)

103 Lisa C. May 10, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Yes, kids grow up faster than ever. :(

I don’t have girls (4 boys here) but I still see it. I have tried to talk to them about how people come in all different shapes and sizes. I’m pretty strict about eating healthy food (most of the time, not all the time) and make sure they get lots of exercise but try to always emphasize that it is so we can be healthy, not get sick as often, and have lots of energy to do things we love….not to be “skinny”.

My 8 year old has rubbed my belly a few times and made comments about there being a little bump (and I am at what I feel is my ideal weight- losing more than a few lbs would put me in the underweight range). I just calmly tell him that women’s bodies are meant to have curves and that Mommy grew four babies in there so it’s a little softer than it would be if I never did that. I also make a point that when they see pictures of celebrities on the front of magazines in the grocery store checkout line that many of those pictures are not even real pictures (airbrush, photoshop) to try to emphasize that we ALL have lumps and bumps and curves and dimples…even when we are thin…and that’s good and beautiful.

104 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 10, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Your approach sounds beautiful, Lisa. Your kids are lucky to have you as a momma :)