. WIAW … eating without hunger .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on April 23, 2013

Oh, you guys… You’re all sorts of fabulous, you know that?

It’s funny. I was a little hesitant to share my lingering food anxieties with you guys in yesterday’s post, but as always, you continue to remind me of what I love most about the blogging community – support, understanding, and perhaps the best feeling of all, the comfort that comes from knowing that I’m not the only one dealing with those kind of thoughts.

Seriously.

If you ever find yourself feeling anxious because you’re extra hungry but afraid to eat before your prescribed meal time, take a glance through the comments in that post – they may just ease your mind and help you honor your hunger. OR… today’s WIAW might just show you how things have a way of balancing out…

WIAW So, unlike the ridiculousness that was Monday’s insatiable appetite, Tuesday’s was basically nonexistent. So nonexistent, in fact, that I didn’t really even end up eating a legitimate lunch. But more on that in a second. First, breakfast

Lack of Hunger Cereal

Plain Greek yogurt, banana, blueberries, Kashi Cinnamon Harvest, Puffins, and almond butter.

To be honest, I wasn’t even really that hungry in the morning. I blame that on the fact that I ate a pretty hefty snack the night before (appetite, remember?), and that I actually managed to get a decent sleep in (yay!!). Nevertheless, there’s no way I’m passing up an opportunity to eat my favorite meal of the day, so I enjoyed that with a side of blog reading before running out the door and heading to the dentist for a check-up/cleaning (no cavities… yay!!).

Does anyone else have a really hard time eating after they’ve had their teeth cleaned? Everything feels so nice and smooth that the idea of getting food stuck in there again feels all wrong. Solution? Drink your morning snack instead…

Early Morning Coffee

Cappuccino from Bux.

I realize that coffee is probably a lot worse for my teeth in the long run, but it made perfect sense at the moment (read: it’s what I wanted). What didn’t make sense was the fact that it was around 1 o’clock at that point and my appetite was nowhere to be found. Maybe it was the coffee? Or the nerves? (I’m scared of the dentist) Either way… no grumbling sensations in the stomach region.

That being the case, I decided to hold off on lunch and get some work done instead. Aaaaand this is the part where I admit that I didn’t really eat a lunch. BUT! I did end up snacking the afternoon away…

Banana and Chocolate Snack

Spotty banana and an Enjoy Life caramel apple bar.

Trail Mix and Cereal

Kashi Honey Sunshine, Puffins, Enjoy Life trail mix, and milk.

Kombucha and Chips

Barefruit Apple Chips and a Gingerade kombucha.

Don’t give me that look – I know you’ve done it too. And yes, I realize there’s nothing that even remotely resembles a vegetable in my eats so far, but I have a perfectly good explanation for that… Okay, no – I really don’t – but who wants to eat veggies when their appetite is lacking? I did manage to squeeze a few in to dinner

Chicken Salad

Grilled chicken over mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots, drizzled with olive oil and ketchup (??).

… buuuuuut that was only while I worked on the real star of the show…

Dressed Up Pizza

Playing dress up with an Amy’s Margherita pizza by adding some tomatoes, ham, and parmesan cheese.

Extra Toppings

And even though I was pretty satisfied at that point, I was still craving a little something…

Eyes off My Pudding

Eyes off my chocolate pudding, Lindsay!

Gotta end the day on a sweet note, am.i.right? So, appetite or no, I guess I still managed to get a pretty decent day of eats in. Back in the day, I used to adore days where I had no appetite because they’d make it that much easier for me to restrict and eat almost next to nothing. These days, I may end up eating a little bit less (and a little more randomly) than I normally do, but I still make sure to eat; and the funny thing is that even when I’m not exactly hungry, hungry, I still enjoy munching on something. I guess I just like food :mrgreen:

Happy Wednesday, friends!

Do you eat when you’re not hungry? Definitely. Sometimes because I feel like I haven’t eaten enough, and sometimes just because something looks/tastes good.
Snacking the afternoon away: yay or nay?
Do you ever “dress up” ready-made, store bought meals?
I do it a lot with soups too.

1 Lucie April 24, 2013 at 7:32 am

I think your day looks delicious in terms of food :-) I can relate on the dentist thing, I love to do it during the morning so I have at least 2 hours more the nice and clean feeling!
I realized, that lately I am not as starving in the morning as I used to be, which confuses me. I still eat breakfast, because I know my mornings are long and I won’t get a chance to eat breakfast later. Still, eating with hunger is so much more fun!
Lucie recently posted..WIAW#18 – What I ate Wednesday – Whole30 Week 3My Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 9:24 am

It definitely can be, but I’ve also found that eating when I’m not really hungry makes me think a whole lot less about food, and it’s nice to focus on other things with meals just being an afterthought.

3 Sarah @ Feeding the Brain and Body April 24, 2013 at 7:32 am

Although I don’t prefer eating the afternoon away, I have definitely done it in the past…it happens. I LOVE the fact that you actually admitted it and posted about it though – a lot of people would have tried to hide it under the rug for fear of being judged.

That pizza looks marvelous!
Sarah @ Feeding the Brain and Body recently posted..The Simple ThingsMy Profile

4 Sarah @ Feeding the Brain and Body April 24, 2013 at 7:34 am

P.S – I totally meant to comment on the ketchup thing: I’ve added ketchup to a salad before too. It was good! I am glad too know there is someone else who has done it too! :) :)
Sarah @ Feeding the Brain and Body recently posted..The Simple ThingsMy Profile

5 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 9:25 am

:lol: What can I say? I was totally craving some ketchup. Have you tried putting salsa in a salad? Gah! So good.

6 Lisa April 24, 2013 at 7:33 am

yay on more sleep!! I’ve been sleeping more too and can’t complain about that fact.
I was the queen of eating with no hunger, especially after recovering from all that digestive distress and overexercise and sleepless night. I just wasn’t hungry ever.
And then, I usually just made myself eat otherwise I wouldn’t and um that’s no good;)
I sometimes snack the afternoon away and I like them better than regular meals most times. Oops.
Have a great Wednesday my love!
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

7 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers April 24, 2013 at 7:35 am

Bahaha, love the pudding pic. That pizza looks great. Of course, I almost always think pizza looks fantastic.
Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers recently posted..WIAW, without ice creamMy Profile

8 Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness April 24, 2013 at 7:36 am

Your breakfast always looks so good! Oh yes, I do eat when I’m not hungry because I feel like I should, and I get worried that if I don’t, I’ll have the scary hunger later on. And i JUST got back from the dentist and I too came back with a starbucks- i had your exact same reasoning! even though its probably worse in the long run, food just feels wrong with such a clean mouth.
Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted..…A Ping Pong WizardMy Profile

9 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

Great minds think alike :D What did you end up getting from Bux? <– coffee addict over here…

10 Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness April 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

Grande nonfat blonde misto. It’s my usual and I can’t go a day without it, the guys behind the counter see me and just put it in before I even say anything but “good morning” :)

11 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 10:06 am

Love it! And it’s pretty much the same for me… They see me and they start making my cappuccino – feels like coming home :D

12 Ja @ Ja on the RUN April 24, 2013 at 7:38 am

Yup I eat too when I’m not hungry. :) My husband and I love to snack, in front of the TV with a glass of wine. I know, not right, we try to limit those times now. :)
Ja @ Ja on the RUN recently posted..“Runners for Boston” in CincinnatiMy Profile

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 24, 2013 at 7:43 am

Absolutely nothing wrong with snacking-through-the-afternoon sort of days. They actually happen to me on weekends quite a bit. More fun that way, sometimes!
And I’ll eat when i’m not hungry if the situation calls for it. Like if I know i’m not going to have the chance to eat for another three hours but I’m not quite hungry yet, I’ll still eat. I’d rather eat when I’m not hungry now than be starving in an hour! Plus there’s the inevitable “I’m full but I still want dessert” feeling. I’ll eat then, just because dessert is fabulous and necessary ;-)

I love to ‘dress up’ store bought soups. I’ll buy a plain tomato or squash soup, than go nuts adding stuff. More veggies, beans, chicken, Greek yogurt or sour cream…Kinda think I need to buy soup this weekend now…
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Eating in Real Life.My Profile

14 Sarah @PickyRunner April 24, 2013 at 7:51 am

I’m learning this more and more every day. Most of the time I am at the same level of hunger but because my appetite has been all over the place lately, so yesterday I was on the hunger train and thought nothing of grabbing a handful of m&ms to calm that insatiable beast in front of me. There’s nothing wrong with being starving one day, because chances are the next day it will go back to normal. The more I force things and try to follow a cookie cutter plan, the more problems I face with food and the thoughts surrounding it.
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Accepting changesMy Profile

15 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 9:38 am

I’ve definitely found the same to be true! When I go with the flow and stop stressing about following a plan to a T, I end up looking and feeling my best. I think the added stress we put on ourselves when we try to follow a plan perfectly is what causes us trouble in the long run.

16 Tatiana April 24, 2013 at 7:51 am

your breakfasts always look so amazing! I have to remember to make them sometime :)

17 Caitlin April 24, 2013 at 8:04 am

Oh yes…even when I’m not particularly hungry, I try to eat pretty regularly, especially on days where I’ve had a long run, and I have no shame in admitting I’ll have a little bit of something that looks good/I’m in the mood for, even if I’m not really hungry. Snacking the afternoon away is a big yay (or at least 2 snacks between lunch and dinner), and I love dressing up store bought stuff, especially pizza :) Always add extra cheese and tomato sauce haha
Caitlin recently posted..These DaysMy Profile

18 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 24, 2013 at 8:04 am

I’m a big snack person especially in the afternoon. I can never make it from 12-6 without some food in between those meals. When I’m not that hungry, I try to make sure I have a little something because I’ll end up starving in an hour.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..WIAW-I Forgot What A Vegetable Looked LikeMy Profile

19 De @ Cooking for the Other Half April 24, 2013 at 8:21 am

I want that pizza!!!!!!

I love “dressing up” store-bought foods. I do it often with soups or other pre-packaged things from Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.

And I’d totally rather snack than eat a full lunch. Snacks are the best!
De @ Cooking for the Other Half recently posted..apple overnight oats and a great eyelinerMy Profile

20 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 24, 2013 at 8:24 am

Yes I often eat when I’m not hungry and I’m
Trying to work out if its boredom or whether my body just isn’t satisfied. It’s definitely something that I am working on. Love your eats!!
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..{WIAW} Fitness and ComfortMy Profile

21 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 10:37 am

It’s definitely a process! I’ve honestly found my snacking to always be the result of hunger. When I can’t stop thinking about food despite trying to get other things done, then I know I need to eat something. Especially because the feeling usually disappears as soon as I do and I’m able to move on to do other things.

22 Hollie April 24, 2013 at 8:25 am

I will fully admit that as someone who runs 70+ miles consistently there is not a time I really consider myself not hungry. I could honestly eat every hour if I needed to (and I just ate candy, then could easily gain weight that way…would I get the energy yes but would I be able to run as much as I do and feel good? no…probably not).

That being said, sometimes I feel a bit outcasted at work because I don’t eat at normal times (with eating 2 lunches…now and again at 1)but in the long run I have to do what is best for me. So to answer your question, I don’t have a lot of periods where I’m not hungry…or not eating…
Hollie recently posted..The ScaleMy Profile

23 fruityrunner April 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

Same here..I often wonder when people tell me that they ‘forget to eat’. I mean, what??? Seriously???

24 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 10:40 am

Music to my ears <3 It freaks me out when people clock in crazy mileage every week and seem to barely eat more than I do…

25 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 24, 2013 at 8:57 am

That spotty banana looks SO perfect!! I love it :). And that pizza? Holy yum!!

I am definitely a huge snacker (mid-morning, afternoon, and at night!) and I definitely eat when I am not hungry. I easily persuade myself to eat simply because something looks/sounds good.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Slow-cooker Pea and Carrot Rice SoupMy Profile

26 Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 8:58 am

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only eater, hungry or not…I think Freud would refer to it as “oral fixation”. I’ll just say it’s a result of me really liking to eat ;)! However the kinds of foods I eat on non-hungry days definitely differ- I usually go for breakfasty foods like yogurt bowls (any excuse) or oatmeal…vegetables are a no-no! Genius idea to doctor up store-bought pizzas especially as companies tend to skimp on toppings ;)! Also thanks for pointing out about your hungry days being a result of poor sleep! Yesterday and today have been way more hungrier than normal and it didn’t even cross my mind that it could be due to the fact I’ve barely slept in the past 2 nights.

27 Aimée @The Aimee Diaries April 24, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Haha I love the Freud reference!

28 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 24, 2013 at 9:04 am

I have such a hard time eating in the like four hours following a dentist appointment. Your teeth are all clean and shiny and smooth and it’s so sad ruining that! :P

I try not to eat when I’m not hungry, because I know that most of the time, if I want to eat and I’m not hungry, it’s just boredom or emotions talking. If I haven’t eaten in a good while though and I’m still not hungry, I’ll pop in a small meal.
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..Sleeping in SocksMy Profile

29 sara @ fitcupcaker April 24, 2013 at 9:10 am

you crack me up! Also, I will eat if Im not hungry, especially at work if I know I wont be eating for hours and hours! Sometimes I work at 7 and dont get lunch until 2 or 3, that makes for a long long day! And ketchup to salad, im intrigued! I love ketchup, but never thought about using it this way
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- Not What I PlannedMy Profile

30 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 10:45 am

I’ll seriously add ketchup to almost anything savoury, and it tastes amaaaazing in salads with chicken. So does salsa… :D

31 sara @ fitcupcaker April 24, 2013 at 10:47 am

Ive had salsa— makes sense :)
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- Not What I PlannedMy Profile

32 Ashley @ OurPersonalRecords April 24, 2013 at 9:11 am

I always eat when I’m not hungry! I’ve been better about afternoon snacking lately, but it has just turned into evening snacking. I ALWAYS dress up store bought foods. They’re never exactly what I want, and god forbid I eat something that isn’t exactly what I want to eat.
Ashley @ OurPersonalRecords recently posted..I knew I was a runner when…My Profile

33 kris April 24, 2013 at 9:11 am

That chocolate pudding looks so good, even Lindsay is eye it! hehe
A definite ‘yay’ to snacking the afternoon away! Sometimes I just enjoy a variety of small snacks instead of one large meal. Lets me hit all the cravings at once :)
And I too love to dress up store bought things. Makes a meal come together so much quicker. And instantly tastier!
kris recently posted..dark chocolate {tofu} pie – no bakeMy Profile

34 Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 24, 2013 at 9:32 am

Glad you were able to get more sleep! Sorry you had to go to the dentist! I have horrible fear/anxiety with dentist appointments. I almost always have an appetite unless i am not feeling well and in that case I stick to snack type foods that are easy on your stomach like rice, toast and peanut butter. Your salad ingredients were sounding great until ketchup, I hate ketchup. My brother eats ketchup on everything, I will have to ask if he would actually eat a salad if we put some ketchup on it for him.
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..WIAW The UsualMy Profile

35 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 10:57 am

:shock: Hate… ketchup??… :shock: I think you might officially be the first person I’ve ever come across to say that. At least tell me you like salsa?

36 Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 24, 2013 at 11:01 am

Oh I love salsa :)
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..WIAW The UsualMy Profile

37 Miss Polkadot April 24, 2013 at 9:32 am

Dentists … the horror. In fact, my mum keeps bugging me to schedule another appointment as I’d postpone it forever on my own. I’m glad you got away unharmed :).
As I’m afraid of overcompensating the next day(s) I always eat no matter whether I’m hungry or not. The thought of eating all (the calories) I haven’t on one of those – admittedly very rare – non-appetite days the next one scares me. Balancing out is definitely what happens but I’d mind it if was too much.
Snacking all afternoon is a daily occurence for me. Maybe not as much when on the go but at home: all the way.
Though I hardly get store-bought meals – mainly due to the lack of vegan/vegetarian choices not because I’d deem them unhealthy – when I do dressing up always happens. Even if it’s just adding some fresh herbs, vegetables or a handful of chickpeas. Semi-homemade meals, right ;)?!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Turning flops into successes with a side of flipsMy Profile

38 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 24, 2013 at 9:37 am

I’ve never thought to add things to already made meals but it looks like a great idea! I love that the blogging community is so supportive too. It feels great to know so many people go through the same feelings and it is your honest and vulberable posts that help to bring it out, so good job!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Mama’s Stuffed Veggie Loaf (Gluten-Free)My Profile

39 Lift, Sleep, Eat April 24, 2013 at 9:54 am

Haha Lindsey is definitely eying up your chocolate pudding…good job she cant jump out of the cover and steal some lol!
I definitely eat when Im not hungry sometimes; sometimes food just needs to be enjoyed for pure taste and flavour rather than just because im starving and need something to satisfy that pain in my stomach ahah.
I’ve never thought of jazzing up store meals before – really good idea! yum!
Lift, Sleep, Eat recently posted..WIAW : Kitchen MishapsMy Profile

40 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 11:03 am

YES! I kind of hate how eating for simple enjoyment seems to be such a taboo. I mean, obviously you can’t go overboard with it, but there’s nothing wrong with grabbing something just because it looks good, even if you’re not necessarily starving.

41 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit April 24, 2013 at 10:03 am

Such a solid example of how it all really does balance out! I am on the opposite today in that I had some upsets yesterday that made my appetite non-existent, I ate anyway but not near the amount I should’ve…so today I’m ravenous! And YES, snacking all the way, all the time :)
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..WIAW…A Little Goes a Long WayMy Profile

42 Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom April 24, 2013 at 10:23 am

I try really hard not to eat when I’m not hungry…but last night I had a giant dessert when I wasn’t hungry. I should have only eaten half.. it wasn’t worth the feeling I had when I was finished! I snack away the afternoon every day… no shame in that! I dress up soups..but for some reason have never thought about doing that to frozen pizzas? I don’t usually buy frozen pizzas because they don’t have my vegetarian choices… but duh, I can dress it up to my liking!

My eats have been boring this week because I was gone last weekend and will be gone this weekend..so I’m living off very little GOOD food here… and have no fresh veggies, which as a vegetarian, poses an issue.
Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted..I’m Not Sure I Could Handle Being a Real CelebrityMy Profile

43 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness April 24, 2013 at 10:26 am

Sometimes snacky days are the best kind. I tend to aim to just eat as I normally would on the days I’m not super hungry but I do typically end up snacking a lot more than eating regular meals when I’m not super hungry.
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Paleo Strawberry Meringues with Fresh BerriesMy Profile

44 Brittany April 24, 2013 at 10:41 am

Hahaha your placement of your sweet treat next to Lindsay’s creeping eyes had me dying. I love when our bodies naturally balance us out. Especially if the activity levels aren’t crazy high there is no need to shovel tons of food day after day! I do sometimes eat when I am not hungry but I try to keep those foods healthy. Fruits and veggies are always an ok go to when I am not hungry!

45 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 24, 2013 at 10:44 am

Definitely hate eating right after the dentist, or when I brush my teeth! I try to eat light when I’m not hungry – I’m a big believer in frequent small meals. Frozen pizzas are so much better when you add to them – there’s never enough cheese to begin with.
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..WIAW: clearing out the fridgeMy Profile

46 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

Finally! Someone who agrees with me about the meager cheesiness n frozen pizzas. And girl, I will NOT touch food after I brush my teeth – not even because it feels wrong, but because it tastes all sorts of nasty. I like my food without a side of toothpaste, thank you.

47 Alex @ therunwithin April 24, 2013 at 10:47 am

I feel like there is a lot I have wanted to comment about but emailing you is way more fun, just know I think you help a lot of people with your approach to life and eating and that is inspiring. Even to this girl over here. Meaning i want to hang with you in person. did I tell you that is on my 2013 bucket list? it really is
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..‘Til Then you Better RunMy Profile

48 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 11:21 am

Do you think it’ll help if I put it on my 2013 bucket list (that doesn’t really exist) too? Needs to happen. If I read about one more blogger who gets to meet you when I don’t, I may just… well… get a little sadder.

49 Emily April 24, 2013 at 10:53 am

I try not to eat when I’m not hungry, because it usually means I’m grabbing junk food or just eating whatever crap is in front of me instead of real food. Hello, Swedish Fish.

I’ll dress up store-bought food if I’m feeling fancy. But usually at that point it’s GET IN MAH BELLY!

50 Ashley April 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

Where do you fond the apple chips? They sound great but I can’t find them when I go shopping. :)

51 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 11:24 am

I’m not sure where you’re writing from, but here in Edmonton I get them at Save on Foods. They’re in little baskets in the produce section.

52 Kat April 24, 2013 at 11:36 am

Snacking the afternoon away is my daily chore. Seriously I get so snacky right before dinner and I don’t know why! Well, its probably because I work out around 1, so in the afternoon my metabolism is all cray cray. Owell.
And I looooove dressing up store bought stuff!! I do it with pizza too, as well as soups. In fact I have some chicken tortilla that I plan on adding brown rice to tonight as well as some black beans to beef it up more :)
Kat recently posted..WIAW – Cherry Oat PancakesMy Profile

53 Brittany @ FreckledNettles April 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm

That pudding! Oh my goodness. I never get tired of your posts.

54 Christina @Thetinyrunner April 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I usually eat when I am bored. I gravitate towards the kitchen for some reason!
Christina @Thetinyrunner recently posted..The Coming DaysMy Profile

55 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin April 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Usually for me days of being hungry all day are followed by days of not being very hungry – just the body balancing itself out! I’m the same way though in that I could never just not eat most of the day even when not hungry…I love food too much and enjoy eating! Love Amy’s pizzas but I have never tried adding my own toppings to it – great idea love!

56 Liz @ I Heart Vegetables April 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I love how you dressed up that pizza! And isn’t it funny how our body can balance out our appetite? I really need to learn how to trust mine!
Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted..5 Minute Pesto (+ Gnocchi)My Profile

57 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy April 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I eat when I’m not hungry. I think the biggest reason is that I’m scared I’m going to get OVERLY hungry later on. That’s what I used to do back in the really bad binging days. It works for me to eat when I’m not hungry so I don’t feel bad doing it ever.

58 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I hate reaching the point of being absolutely starving too – that’s just asking for all sorts of trouble. So yeah, I definitely try to avoid it by making sure I eat on a somewhat regular schedule. It’s all about preventative measures :)

59 Jo @ LivingMintGreen April 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I like dressing up Amy’s lentil-veg soup by adding chicken, cilantro & a dollop of greek yogurt. How are the frozen pizzas? (Good, I’m assuming) Worth the purchase?
Jo @ LivingMintGreen recently posted..Childhood FavesMy Profile

60 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 1:58 pm

They’re definitely my favorite store bought pizza, but still lack in the toppings department. Great for a quick meal though.

61 Courtney April 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Afternoon snacks are the best :) :)
Courtney recently posted..Leggings and (Daisy) LoveMy Profile

62 Kate April 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm

ketchup on salad ftw! I did that for the first time on my road trip, I was pleasantly surprised. As for eating when I’m not really hungry, yeah I usually do. Skipping meals never did me any good, and especially when I’m training or working out…even if I’m not hungry, I know I need the fuel. But yeah, I probably end up eating a bit less those days – it all balances out!

63 dixya@food, pleasure, and health April 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm

your previous post really talked to me :) I do honor my hunger and now I need that pizza!
dixya@food, pleasure, and health recently posted..Homemade Sushi:Futomaki & Uramaki California RollsMy Profile

64 Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen April 24, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I love dressing up frozen pizzas. They are pretty cheap and taste great with added tomatoes, cheese, and other veggies. I’m the same about not wanting to eat after the dentist. All that work – I’ve got to keep them clean for a little!
Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen recently posted..SolitudeMy Profile

65 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 24, 2013 at 3:12 pm

No appetite days definitely happen to me, and I usually still try to eat a good amount of food just because I need the fuel, or if I don’t eat enough, I am starving by the time I’m ready for bed. However, today I am definitely experiencing one of those cant-stop-eating days haha!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Health Warrior Chia Bar GiveawayMy Profile

66 Stephanie April 24, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I’m kind of in a situation where I have to eat even when I don’t think/feel like I’m hungry. I’ve gone so long only eating when I’m absolutely sure that I’m starving and can’t do anything else until I eat. So I think my hunger cues and metabolism aren’t really there, or at least most of the time. But it’s very helpful and reassuring for me to read about some of your struggles with this and how you’ve worked through them. I’m working on allowing myself to eat even if I don’t feel super hungry because I know I should still be eating consistently throughout the day. That caramel apple bar sounds super yummy! Do they sell them at Whole Foods? Oh, I wanted to ask if you tried the St. Tropez tanning mousse. I just bought some and I’m hesitant to open it because it’s kinda pricey. :P

67 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I went through a pretty long period where I had to eat where I wasn’t hungry, or keep eating way past the point of fullness. You just have to be consistent and keep at it – eventually your body will shift out of panic mode and the normal sensations of fullness/hunger/cravings will start coming back. It’s a long process. Be patient and strong <3

As for the bars, I honestly couldn’t tell you if they sell them at Whole Foods because we don’t have one up here :( And I did try the tanning mousse! I really like it, and I know that it’s pricey, but I haven’t found that I need to use it every day so that’ll help it last a little longer.

68 Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition April 24, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I love love love that Ginger kombucha for when I have stomach problems. It’s like an amped-up Sprite ;) Looks like a great day of eats especially with a side of Mean Girls (that show is too funny!)
Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition recently posted..In TimeMy Profile

69 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate April 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I snack my afternoon away almost every day and just call it lunch. There is plenty of time for veggies later, right? ;-)

70 Aimée @The Aimee Diaries April 24, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Due to messing up my digestive system throughout the majority of my life (thanks ED!) I have a REALLY tough time feeling hunger. I no longer restrict, but I do have to force myself to eat at certain times. It can be really frustrating, but it just motivates me to never harm my body again! I worry that maybe it’s my metabolism that’s slowed down or something, but I’m hoping one day all will be good (:
Aimée @The Aimee Diaries recently posted..WIAW #3 – Why I quit my challengeMy Profile

71 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 8:59 pm

The body is pretty amazing when it comes to repairing itself – as long as we consistently treat it well, a lot of the damage that we did in the past can be reversed :)

72 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 24, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Tuesday’s lack of appetite day is just more proof of how everything balances itself out in the end! Your body doesn’t function in a way that it needs the exact same amount of food every single day..there’s a lot of variables going on, and as long as you’re honoring your hunger and cravings, everything works out just fine I think.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Back from Virginia Beach!My Profile

73 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Haha I’ve had that problem of not being hungry for breakfast because I had such a big night time snack or a big late dinner. When that happens I’ll wait until I get hungry or I’ll just eat breakfast anyway if I don’t have time to wait around. I love breakfast too much to skip it. :P
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Weekly Meal Plan: April 13 – 19My Profile

74 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 24, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I eat when I’m not *hungry hungry* almost every day—not always because I feel that I *should*(although I do eat for that reason, too), but because eating food truly is fun. I wouldn’t have been able to say that several years ago, when every bite I put in my mouth caused anxiety, but those days are over (thankfully).

As for snacking days? Oh yes, I know them VERY well. While I was in grad school full time, I actually rarely ate “real” lunches, and instead opted to munch all day long. It was more convenient, and it made attending meetings and classes much easier because I could just grab a little something and run. The only problem was that I never felt satisfied. When my stomach started acting up, my doctor suggested I eat 5-6 small regular meals, and the switch has done wonders for my digestion and satiety. That doesn’t mean I don’t have “those days,” though! Sometimes nothing appeals more than a yogurt, banana, and chocolate bar. :)

I love “dressing up” packaged meals…In fact, I think that may happen tonight. :) xoxo
Sara @ Nourish and Flourish recently posted..Totally Unnecessary {Wish List}My Profile

75 Emily April 24, 2013 at 7:18 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how life balances itself out. I’m usually the exact same way. If I’ve ravenous one day, I have very little appetite the next. It just goes to show that our bodies are much smarter than our brains and there’s no need to stress over it. (:
And YAY for spotty bananas! The riper, the better.
Emily recently posted..my label-free lifeMy Profile

76 Katherine April 24, 2013 at 9:25 pm

what kind/brand of pudding do you prefer?

77 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I really like Zensoy and Belsoy.

78 Katherine April 25, 2013 at 4:57 am

thanks :)

79 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie April 24, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I’m not sure if I love snacking the afternoon away, but I do love mini meals/snacks more than full meals so it’s great to get in a variety of foods without feeling overstuffed.

Those Barefruit apple chips are so addicting! I go through a bag in a couple of days but then again I have that problem with all dried fruits. I got a dehydrator so I could make dried fruit at home but I rarely do because the stuff from the store is just too good!
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..WIAW: Life LatelyMy Profile

80 Courtney @ Star Systemz April 24, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I have so many on/off days like today I was ravished literally eating after 10 pm so not like me but I was so hungry I could feel my stomach screaming for food..not really lol I feel like you just have to listen to your body and make healthy choices and it all works out! I am a big snacker in have t have my 4 pm snack or else I get cranky! Sending a fun Thursday your way. Love + Shine Courtstar

81 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) April 25, 2013 at 2:04 am

Oh I definitely sometimes eat when I’m not hungry just because something tastes so good! I think it really does balance out doesn’t it, trusting your body enough to eat when you know its genuine hunger is so rewarding :-)

82 Laura April 25, 2013 at 4:05 am

Do I eat when I’m hungry? Every. Single. Day.
I know my body needs fuel, and whether I wake up early for work, or need to have lunch early because I have an appointment at work, there is almost always a point in my day where I’m eating when I’m not hungry. But I mean, I love food…sooooo….it’s not a HUGE inconvenience ;-)
Laura recently posted..Life according to my Android.My Profile

83 Sara @my less serious life April 25, 2013 at 4:11 am

happy to see the return of your chocolate pudding. haven’t seen it in a while!! :)
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..what i ate wednesday: cupcake editionMy Profile

84 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 25, 2013 at 7:11 am

:lol: I was just thinking that myself actually. No idea what happened to it either… Just one of those weird phases I guess.

85 Megan @ runningonjava April 25, 2013 at 6:29 am

I think the best part about this is that even though you were feeling a bit wonky, you knew you had to eat so just did what was comfortable for you. I love dressing up pre-made meals. My favorite thing to do is spice up Annie’s Macaroni with taco seasoning and veggies or put an egg on frozen pizza. So good and so simple!
Megan @ runningonjava recently posted..wise words from mr. rabbitMy Profile

86 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I’ve noticed that on most days (though not all), I actually prefer to have smaller snacks instead of lunch. I never really plan it like that, it just sort of happens. It was something I realized after I gave up on the whole “structured mealtime” thing…I mean, what’s it really matter if you have a designated mealtime? I mean, as long as you are fueling your body as you need it AND enjoying satisfying food, that’s all that really counts! :D

I’m a BIG dresser upper when it comes to soups and I LOVE getting the take & bake pizzas from Papa Murphy’s on Fridays (they’re only FOUR DOLLARS!?) and fixing them up with a whole bunch of veggies…helps clean out the fridge! ;)

Oh and speaking of veggies, I just want you to know you’re not the only one lacking in the motivation department…I’m usually gung ho when it comes to getting in the veg, but lately my cravings have been few and far between. Hence the reason I had green beans for breakfast this morning…the craving struck so I figured I might as well go with it! :D

87 Picky Nicky April 25, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I like this post! Everyone always worries so much about food! Some days I skip lunch too, or breakfast, or I just grab something quick like a handful of cereal or a cup of juice.. It’s not the end of the world :P Seriously, people need to loosen up!
Picky Nicky recently posted..Bye BabaMy Profile

88 Jill April 28, 2013 at 7:25 am

How do you do it? I feel that I MUST eat my 3 BIG meals + 3 BIG snacks….last night after supper I thought I would truly BUST I was SO full…but at 11 pm, I forced myself to eat like 800 calories in pure junk to get my “snack” in….its habit…I “have ” to….I’m ashamed …oye….I need to get myself on a “plan” for one solid week so I get under control and digestively tamed (SO uncomfortably full and constipated every day) and THEN be more “free”…but I need structure for at least a week or this cycle will never end :(

89 Jill April 28, 2013 at 7:26 am

P.s…sorry for all the stuipd comments…I guess you count as my morning “journalling”…oops….but thanks ;)