. that one time i called 911 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on March 17, 2013

Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

Like I said before, it’s not really a holiday that I normally celebrate, and green isn’t exactly my best color, but I do plan on throwing a couple extra spinach leaves in my salad later on in the day…

Baby Spinach

… so that counts for something, right? ;) Besides, I have something else that I’d like to celebrate today:

One Lovely Blog

Rules: Share 7 things about yourself and then nominate 7 other bloggers for the award.

Great friends. The lovely De @ Cooking for the Other Half nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award a little while ago, and you guys know I can’t pass up an opportunity to share some random facts about myself; so without further ado, a few random things I noticed about myself yesterday.

1. I’ve only eaten fish once in my life, and I absolutely hated it.

Fish Are Friends

I know that there are a tonne of health benefits associated with eating fish, and I admit that sometimes I get tempted to try it again for that very reason, but considering the fact that the smell alone makes me feel like I’m going to toss my cookies, I don’t think it’d be a good idea. I’ll get my omegas from sources that don’t assault my olfactory sense so violently, thank you very much.

2. While we’re on the topic of foods I dislike, I’m not a huge fan of eating nuts

Caught Almond Handed

I adore nut butters, but eating nuts straight up? Ehhhh, not so much – they’re too dry, and I honestly find them really difficult to swallow. The same thing goes for eating shredded coconut – it’s a texture thing. I also don’t find nuts all that satisfying. All those diet mags that claim that 12 almonds or what have you is a perfect snack? Yeah no. Not only do I end up physically unsatisfied, but my brain just ends up floating around and thinking “But… but… where’s the good stuff?!” I’ll turn to them in a pinch, but they’re not high up on my list.

3. I can’t drive without my seat belts. It’s not even because I’m afraid of getting into an accident (although I would rather not fly through my windshield if I were to ever have one) – I just feel so… naked… without my seat belt. I like the feeling of being nice and snug like a bug in a rug – it feels like a hug… and who doesn’t love hugs? I really have no idea how people drive without them :shock:

4. I used to collect beanie babies, and even though most of them are stashed away in boxes somewhere in my parents’ garage, I dug out one special beanie and took him (her?) with me when I moved out

Magic Dragon

Magic the Dragon. This guy is super special. He (she?) was one of the more difficult to find beanies back in the day when collecting was all the rage, and the only one I ever saw was in a collector’s store and it cost a little more than my poor little girl pockets could afford. I remember asking for him (her?) one Christmas one year, not really expecting it to happen, and being completely floored when I did. Good times.

5. Speaking of my younger self, I once called 911 when my mom wouldn’t let me get up from the table until I finished my lunch. Let me explain. It wasn’t because I was all “Omigosh, child abuse!!” or what have you, but I wasn’t hungry and I ended up sitting there for probably close to an hour. My mom gave up and left the room, and I got super bored, and well… I was always curious what all the 911 fuss was about, so I gave it a call. Needless to say, I kind of freaked out when the operator answered and I hung up right away. Unfortunately, they called right back and my mom had to have a chat with them. Good times.

6. Considering the huge fear I have of getting food poisoning and throwing up, I have a really bad habit of ignoring expiration labels.

Expired Chocolate

If it smells good and looks good, then I’ll probably eat it even if it’s a week or more past its expiration date. Yogurt, cheese, eggs, cereal… doesn’t matter. The one thing this doesn’t apply to, though, is meat – that’s one thing I just won’t mess around with. On a side note, do things like cereal, bars, crackers, chocolate, and oats honestly ever expire?! They may get a little stale, but I wouldn’t exactly call it expiring…

7. I really love doing the dishes when I’m cold. Okay, I genuinely enjoy doing the dishes in general, but especially when it’s cold. I suffer from chronically cold hands and feet, so being able to spend a little bit of time with my hands under warm water is a treat. For all those other times, I break out these bad boys…

Chilly

Aaaand that’s seven. As for the seven nominees:

Sam @ Better with Sprinkles
Lucie @ Fit Swiss Chick
Meghan @ After the Ivy League
Kat @ Katalyst Health
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
Carly @ Snack Therapy
Khushboo @ Khushboo’s Blog

Hope you guys are having a great Sunday, and a Happy St. Paddy’s! And don’t forget to enter my giveaway if you haven’t already. I don’t have any real concrete plans for the day, but I’m thinking that I’d like to try my hand at baking up some Irish soda bread since I’ve been seeing it everywhere lately but I can’t honestly say that I’ve ever had any. See you tomorrow!

What foods do you just really dislike? Some others that come to mind for me are: olives, eggplant, anything super spicy, and blue cheese.
Anyone else really lax when it comes to expiration labels?
Does anyone else suffer from constantly cold hands/feet? Or have any tips on things that help?

1 Tessa @ Amazing Asset March 17, 2013 at 7:26 am

You are too flippen cute Amanda, I love that last picture of you :) I couldn’t help but smile when I saw that particular beanie baby because that is the one I wanted SO BADLY!!! My step-sister had it and I was incredibly jealous knowing how rare it was and just ahhh I NEEDED it haha. I even plotted ways of stealing it… such a bad 6 year old I was at times! On that note, it appears you were too with the 911 call ;) Too funny of a story and I am glad it worked out alright and no one got in serious trouble!
I have terribly cold hands and feet constantly… especially hands actually. And no I don’t have Raynauds but gah, it really does hurt sometimes! I like to put my hands right to the heater in my car when driving. Well one hand a time that is lol
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Winna Winna WinnaMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 11:05 am

Squee! I love you even more because you know Magic :D And I’m pretty sure my condition isn’t bad enough to be diagnosed as Raynauds either, but it’s flippin’ annoying as heck.

3 Sarah @pickyrunner March 17, 2013 at 7:27 am

Haha I love that you called 911. That’s hilarious! One of the kids I babysat for did that once with a phone no longer in service. That was awkward. I don’t like nuts either. I’d rather eat 6 cups of popcorn than eat 12 almonds. I’m like “where’s the rest of it?” But I don’t like nut butters either so I guess it’s more about taste for me. I’m not even going to try to tell you which foods I dislike. I think it would be easier to tell you what I DO like ;)
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..Being smartMy Profile

4 kim@hungryhealthygirl March 17, 2013 at 7:34 am

I wear socks constantly during the winter, but never feel like doing dishes just to warm my hands up. I would much rather wrap around a hot mug of coffee. I totally feel you on the expiration dates!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..The Fun Night That Wasn’t FunMy Profile

5 Amanda @ Run Principessa March 17, 2013 at 7:41 am

You have me laughing out loud at the 911 story! Haha, sounds like something I would do if we had a phone close to the kitchen table. I was ALWAYS the one there for an hour afterwards because I wouldn’t eat my mashed potatoes!
Amanda @ Run Principessa recently posted..Workout RoundupMy Profile

6 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 11:15 am

Mashed potatoes were actually one of the few foods that I loved so I had no problem getting those down… It was the veggies and meats that never wanted to disappear from my plate!

7 Lauren March 17, 2013 at 7:48 am

I love doing dishes for the same reason! And folding laundry right out of the dryer! Also, I’ve gone on drives before just because I can blast the heat in my car and warm myself up. My mom and I both hate how cold my dad keeps the house so we’ll escape to warmth every now and then haha!

I called 911 way too many times than I would like to admit to people. I was a bad kid sometimes. lol
Lauren recently posted..Right vs. WrongMy Profile

8 Jo @ LivingMintGreen March 17, 2013 at 7:52 am

That unicorn is awesome – I’m so glad you held onto him. I used to collect unicorns when I was a kid…. I’m thinking I should start again? :D
My hands/feet are always freezing too! Sometimes they turn blue. I think it must be a Canadian thing?
Jo @ LivingMintGreen recently posted..Coconut Matcha WaffleMy Profile

9 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 17, 2013 at 7:55 am

Thanks for the nomination love!

The last picture of you is freakin’ cute. And you love doing the dishes?! Wanna come over and do mine? My most hated chore ever – I actually refused to do it when I was a kid. Flat out, would run away and hide refuse.

I pay absolutely no attention to expiry dates. If it smells fine and looks fine, than I’m assuming I’m fine. I also rarely wash my fruit before I eat it…I live of the wild side, food-wise, apparently :-p Nothing bad has happened yet (knock on wood) so I guess I’m good!

I have the same cold hands/feet issue. I’m pretty sure almost everyone who’s shaken my hand in the last couple of years has commented on how cold they are, and my feet tend to resemble ice cubes. Slippers and gloves become my best friends in the winter, although my gloves are not nearly as cute as yours!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..St. Patty’s Meal Plan + BlogLovin’.My Profile

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 11:32 am

Washing my fruit is actually something I do pretty religiously, mostly because the thought of eating something that has been God only knows where kind of skeeves me out. I even wash my watermelon before cutting it :shock:

11 Jenn March 17, 2013 at 7:58 am

come to my house any day! I’ll gladly let you do the dishes :)

12 Alex @ therunwithin March 17, 2013 at 8:29 am

This is so cute. I called 911 once when I thought I lost my mom. I was traumatized after that one. I am the same way about nuts, I hate eating nuts. I don’t understand how people pack almonds as snack or peanuts. The only nuts I can eat raw or sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or pistachios. The rest, nope. Expiration dates? For me that just means they are on sale meaning hell yes.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Every Play is Crucial, yeah that’s my MottoMy Profile

13 Lisa March 17, 2013 at 8:33 am

Twins on the fish department, I tried it once and spat it out…and this was in public. Ick, I will never ever try it again.
And I actually like doing the dishes (at least when they’re my own) I feel you on being cold too. Cranking the water up totally helps.
Same with the laundry, when it’s nice and warm it doesn’t bug me at all.
Haha, I love the 911 story I have a few too. Not the bet situations;) My Mom and Dad were not impressed.
Lisa recently posted..At The MomentMy Profile

14 Carly @ Snack Therapy March 17, 2013 at 8:59 am

Thanks for the nomination <3! I'm sooo with you on the fish thing. I actually dislike ALL seafood. Blech. When I was in sixth grade, my friend and I called 911. They called back and we had to pretend like it was an accident. Haha!
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..The Time I Used the F-WordMy Profile

15 Khushboo March 17, 2013 at 9:05 am

Firstly thank you very much for the tag, girl…much appreciated :)! Loved learning more about you and that 911 story really made me lol…totally something I would have done! I was such a naughty kid, or at least that’s what the grown-ups tell me. And your attitude towards expiration labels just adds to my belief that we would get on extremely well if/when we meet- if a food smells or looks okay to me, I’m going to eat it…labels are just another way for companies to escape liabilities. In fact foods like eggs & chicken in India don’t even come with expiration labels so we have no choice BUT to use our own judgement…we’re all still up & kickin’ ;)!
Khushboo recently posted..Confessions of a Nutrition SpecialistMy Profile

16 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 11:39 am

Eggs coming with expiration labels is such a goofy concept to me. I had half a carton of “expired” eggs sitting in my fridge when I got back from Hawaii and there was no way I was wasting so much food, so I went ahead and ate them anyways with no ill effects. And I’m really hoping that it can be a WHEN we meet – are you planning a trip to Canada or the States anytime soon? :D

17 Khushboo March 17, 2013 at 9:16 pm

No trips to that side of the world coming up soon but the next time I do make it out there, you will know for sure…and I’m pretty sure it’s more a case of “when” than “if” :)!
Khushboo recently posted..Confessions of a Nutrition SpecialistMy Profile

18 Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living March 17, 2013 at 9:17 am

So fun to read these! I am bad about expiration labels too, and will usually realize it after I have eaten. Which is really awesome. Have a great St. Patty’s Day!! :)
Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living recently posted..Happy Weekend!My Profile

19 Courtney March 17, 2013 at 9:19 am

You called 911? That’s adorable :) :) A food I really dislike is tomatoes. I like tomato sauce and soup, but not raw ones!
Courtney recently posted..An AnnouncementMy Profile

20 Miss Polkadot March 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

Ahh, I need (!) those doggies to keep warm! Care to mail me some?
For me, the constantly cold hand and feet are most likely ED-related hopefully getting better as I’m gaining weight. I’m sorry you’re still having them even at a healthy weight :(. What I’ve found helps a little – especially when going outside – is applying a good amount of hand cream and then putting on gloves. My hands at least don’t get cold as fast as without creaming.
What a naughty little girl you were for calling 911 – or maybe I was too much of a goody-goody and missed out on all the fun?
Expiration labels make no sense on anything but fresh foods like unpasteurized dairy or meat. Though even then we’d be able to tell whether or not something’s good. It makes me sad to see how much people throw away because the label says it had expired. That being sad I’ve eaten foods waaaay past their expiration – also “best by” so there still edible afterwards in anway :) – dates. It’s a miracle I’m still alive ;).
Miss Polkadot recently posted..WIAW with [not quite] green confessionsMy Profile

21 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 11:43 am

It really bothers me when people throw away food as well. I have a friend who’s so paranoid about expiration labels that they’ll throw things away a week before it even expires… I guess everyone has their hang-ups though.

22 Brittany March 17, 2013 at 9:58 am

Bahaha I called 911 once when I was younger with a friend and we did the same thing..HANG UP QUICK. Of course they called back and we were spoken with. eeeek. I don’t eat fish either, but I do know that if it smells fishy..it’s not good fish. It’s not supposed to have that ocean odor if it’s fresh! I have raynauds so my hands and feet are always cold too. I usually soak my feet in the bathtub when they get really bad!
Brittany recently posted..Running LocalMy Profile

23 Lucie@FitSwissChick March 17, 2013 at 10:03 am

Thank you so much sweetheart for the nomination you are so kind and precious.
I LOVE that story about 911. Too cute. And I am with you on cold hands and feet, sometimes I don’t even realize that they are permanently cold. It helps, when you shower them with really cold water, then rub them down and then put on some good cream and socks (if it’s the feet, not for the hands of ourse:-)) – it sounds paradox with the cold water, but it acivates the blood circulation and because the air is warmer than the cold water, you feel warm after. Hope that does make sense :-)
Give me anchovies and I will ******* beside the table. I think it’s the grossest food ever. Or salami. Urrgh.
Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted..Friday Favorites – Ignore the snow, welcome Spring!!My Profile

24 Ashley @ Life and Fitness March 17, 2013 at 10:18 am

Oh my goodness beanie babies! How I used to love those things! I would set aside my allowance and buy a new one once a month. My favorite was the teddy bear ones.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Big Party AnimalsMy Profile

25 Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom March 17, 2013 at 10:18 am

Meat is a food I cannot stand. I’m pretty lax about expiration labels as well, especially since (unfortunately) a lot of our food is processed to last past their expiration dates! I suffer from cold hands and feet as well. My Dr suggested always carrying handwarmers with me if it’s below 50*F, but other than that, I try and eat a lot of leafy greens so that I can get some iron and I’ll put socks/gloves on when I get super cold.
Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted..People Actually Read My Blog?My Profile

26 Karen March 17, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’m sorry I just have to say it’s St. Paddy’s day, not Patty’s day. I’m from Ireland, and it’s a major pet peeve of mine!
We don’t have the name Patty here, Paddy is short for Patrick hence St. Paddys.

27 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 11:01 am

Oops! I really had no idea – thanks for filling me in :D Went back and fixed it.

28 Karen March 17, 2013 at 11:39 am

haha! That’s ok, as I said it’s just a pet peeve of mine. I can see how the mistake is made though, seeing as the name is PaTrick not PaDrick. I think it also comes from the irish for Patrick which is Padraig (pore-ick)

29 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) March 17, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Okay, I need to slow down when I read. At first I read the beginning sentence as, “… but I do plan on throwing up…” Haha glad I read it wrong ;)

HAHA omg the 911 story is priceless.

Foods I really dislike = cottage cheese, romanesco (that weird monster-looking vegetable), olives, eggplant, arugula, etc.

I’m very strict with expiration labels – like, I won’t even eat something if it still has one day left before the expiration date. That’s too close to the expiration date for me, haha.

Yep! I was born with poor circulation, so my hands and feet are always freezing. But regular massage therapy sessions help a LOT – excellent focus on the circulatory system.

30 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Have you tried dry brushing at all? I’ve been doing it for a couple of months and it really helped with my circulation!

31 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) March 17, 2013 at 2:18 pm

YES YES YES. Actually, my masseuse uses a dry brush during massage treatments. Definitely a great tool!

32 Ali March 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm

O.M.G., soooo agree with you on the seat belt while driving thing. I don’t know how other people do it? I just love that snug feeling and I feel naked or something without it as well. I think the other thing is that it keeps you in alignment with the steering wheel, you could be all wobbling around willy nilly if you didn’t wear it.

As for the cold hands and feet – I have perpetually cold hands, like so much so that when I meet someone for the first time I preemptively let them know that I am not dead or a vampire, even though my hands may tell a different story. It’s funny though when I meet another “cold hander” and we’re both like, hmmm… it balances out and neutralizes and there’s no warmth coming from the other person’s hand. I kind of like it when that happens because it makes me feel like less of a freak! ha!

33 Picky Nicky March 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm

looks like we have some things in common :) I collected beanie babies too! And I’m soooo picky when it comes to meat and expiration dates!
Picky Nicky recently posted..Cheap TeaMy Profile

34 Jess March 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Sadly I’m a human furnace, so I don’t have any tips relating to how to ease cold hands and feet. It’s ridiculous how warm I always am – someone I know at the gym randomly hugged me (she’s a ‘huggy’ person – I live with it haha) and she was astounded at how hot I was, even though I was wearing a thin top and shorts in the class and everyone else was in about six layers :P

Foods I hate…well, all meat, artichokes (random), spirulina (gag me) and kind of juices (what kind of health blogger am I haha), kiwi fruit (eeeeewwww). I’m sure there are more but those are the main ones that spring to mind.

We’re quite similar in some respects – I tried to run away from home for the same reason that you called 911! I just wouldn’t eat my broccoli, as I seem to recall.

xxx

35 Jess March 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm

*all kinds of juices. Clearly I’m so averse to them they inhibit my ability to type :/

36 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 17, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I so cannot do fish either!! I am a vegetarian now, so I obviously do not eat fish, but even before then I absolutely avoided it at all costs. It wasn’t even that I didn’t like the taste (though I didn’t LOVE it), it is just that the whole concept and idea of eating a fish totally creeped me out!

Ohhh, Beanie Babies!! I used to be obsessed with them and my brother and I would “collect” them. We easily had over 100 total combined. Looking back now, all I can think is…”what a waste of money!”

P.s. I love your gloves!!!! They are too cute ;).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..BBQ “Sausage” and Apple QuesadillasMy Profile

37 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I’m sometimes tempted to look at it as a waste of money as well, but at the time it was soooo much fun to hunt them down so I guess it was worth it :)

38 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables March 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I finally found a way that we aren’t alike… I love nuts, spicy, eggplant, and olives! :) I didn’t like fish at all at first, but it is finding the right kind of fish and make sure it is prepared properly. I love salmon, but I’ve had “fishy” salmon and about gagged! I can’t do water chestnuts. It’s a texture thing!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..Tea TimeMy Profile

39 Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition March 17, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Love this post! I can relate to every one except for the dishes- they are my worst nemesis haha. Have a great day!
Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition recently posted..Snapshots of the WeekMy Profile

40 Aimee March 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I too suffer from cold hands but as the saying goes – cold hands, warm heart!! I’m sure that saying goes for you too!!
I absolutely loooove raw nuts – actually I think sometimes better than nut butters – I think it’s all about the chew factor involved.

41 Amanda@maepress March 17, 2013 at 2:06 pm

My mom and I used to have nightly battles because I never wanted to drink the huge glass of milk that always came with dinner. Wish I had thought to call 911! Too funny!

I also always have cold feet, and the first time I put on a pair of smart wool socks was a little slice of heaven! When they were on sale, I bought eight pairs that look exactly alike and wear them all winter.
Amanda@maepress recently posted..What I ate Wednesday!My Profile

42 Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes March 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Baaahahaaaha I HATE doing the dishes but lately I’ve actually been looking forward to it because it’s SO DAMN COLD! That’s a little sad if you think about it…
Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes recently posted..5 ‘weird’ healthy foods you should eatMy Profile

43 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 17, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Aww, thanks for the nomination sweets! This was a fun post! I’m am right there with you on rebelling against expiration labels…I have ADHD in every sense of the term and FREQUENTLY forget about food that I’ve bought. Plus, I think I have a pretty good sniffer when it comes to deciding if something is fit for eating or not…and in the matter of cheese…I just scrape off the “bad” parts! ;)

Seatbelt hugs…YES! I have always said how I swear I feel like I’ll “fall out” of the car if I don’t have my seatbelt on…it just makes me feel so secure…and loved…by my car! LOL

Food dislikes: capers, radishes, and bleu cheese (most of the time…in rare instances I can enjoy it…like on the Black & Bleu flatbread at our local pub/brewery…it has a balsamic glaze that is to DIE for!)

44 TJ March 17, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Surprisingly I can’t think of any food that I genuinely dislike (I don’t eat a lot of foods because of sensitivities/intolerances but none because of just taste). I have EXTREMELY cold hands all the time. My internship this summer was torture for me because I had to sit in offices all day and of course offices have the air condition BLASTING when it’s the summer. When no one is looking I sit on my hands if I don’t need them. I also wear gloves inside (obviously not at work). Other than that I have no cure…

On a side note your 911 story reminded me of this time I set a tissue on fire at my aunt’s house when I was really young. I was just genuinely curious and I did it “safely” by doing it right over the sink and then running the water right after…that thing LIT UP FAST! I figured out that’s probably why everyone tells kids not to play with fire…Also I remember having a bad knot at the top of my head that I just didn’t have the patience to brush out so I simply cut the chunk of hair (it was literally AT the scalp but I just snipped away)…my aunt thought I was balding and had a sickness. Kids do the darndest things!

45 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Have you tried dry brushing at all? I know that since I started doing it regularly a few months ago, my circulation has improved a lot and my hands have been feeling a lot less chilly.

46 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 17, 2013 at 5:31 pm

YOU DON’T LIKE FISH?
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Sunday BreakfastMy Profile

47 Taryn March 17, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I’m not a fan of fish either! And while I love peanut butter, I cannot eat regular nuts. Love the Beanie Baby. I have a whole bunch of them living in a box in my parents’ house, too.
Taryn recently posted..Kiss me, I’m Irish!My Profile

48 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie March 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I think I actually had that Beanie Baby! Now I wish I knew what happened to it because it was definitely one of the rarer ones. I also had the Princess Diana purple bear Beanie and I still have that one somewhere.

Before I went vegan, fish/seafood was one of the last things I gave up (besides Greek yogurt). I’ve loved shrimp since I was little and I used to be obsessed with mahi mahi, tilapia, scallops, etc. I think if I decide to eat animal products again, I would just do fish because they have so many health benefits and I wasn’t as skeeved out by them as I was with other meats.

My feet are constantly cold, to the point that they are usually purple but the weird thing is, they don’t feel cold to me, probably because my hands are also pretty cold!
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..ConfessionsMy Profile

49 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I have a couple of the Princess Di bears as well :D Good times. And have you looked into dry brushing at all to help your hands/feet? If it’s a circulation thing, then I know that dry brushing can work wonders in improving it.

50 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 17, 2013 at 6:48 pm

That 911 story is hilarious! I always have cold hands and feet, too. I love washing dishes because of that reason haha
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Meditation ChallengeMy Profile

51 Angela March 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm

oh em gee, so you don’t like sushi? gasp.

and I’m totally the opposite of you! I cannot stand nut butters – they stick to the top of my mouth, and it really doesn’t feel like you’re eating anything! on the other hand, I can pop in nuts by the handful! (btw, try eating cashews, they’re a lot less dry than almonds and they’re more sweet!)

52 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Nope, sushi is a no-go for me… plus I’m allergic to a lot of seafood so that doesn’t really help. And on that note, I’m allergic to cashews as well :lol: Not as badly as I am to peanuts, but they give me the itches so I usually avoid them.

53 Emily March 17, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I’m the exact same way about wearing my seat belt. It’s just second-nature for me to immediately put it on and, without it, I feel completely naked. I guess that’s a good thing!
And I never, ever liked fish either. Actually, I never liked ANY meats except for chicken fingers (on occasion) and even that always grossed me out. I stopped eating meat when I was 10 and didn’t even know the term “vegetarian” existed. haha. It’s funny how everyone’s taste buds are so different!
Emily recently posted..let’s plant a money-treeMy Profile

54 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal March 17, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Im totally with you on the expiration date thing. Especially for dairy…its good for at least a week past the sell by date.

But meat….yeah…meat you just DONT screw with. Im scared if it sits in my fridge for more than two days before I cook it, even if it well before the sell by date!!!!
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Wooohoooo DAY FIFTY! What I’ve learned…My Profile

55 Nicole March 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Oooooh I really dislike mushrooms. Seriously, they’re a fungus and even smell bad! I don’t know how people can like them! My mom wants mushrooms in EVERYTHING she eats! AHHH! Fish, on the other hand, I am definitely okay with. Though I used to hate it when I was younger!

I’ve actually sort of grown out of my cold hands/feet I think…. it used to be pretty bad and then got worse (obviously) during my ED. But now, not so much. Though I have noticed cold feet when I go on dates! LOL. Like… literally, cold, clammy feet that feel super uncomfortable as I’m nervously awaiting my date’s arrival or whatever. I’m a wreck sometimes… haha

56 Kate March 17, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Totally with you on the “handful of nuts as a snack”…um, no, not tasty at all. I think I’m a bit of a volume eater to be honest so a handful of nuts just doesn’t feel like a big enough amount of food….but eating too many nuts makes me feel SO sick. Yeah, I’ll just stick with the almond butter…lol. No worries about the fish – my dad hates it too, he says he can smell us grilling it from like….the entire length of the house away haha my mom and I only eat salmon when he’s gone! (I love living alone haha). And expiration dates…I actually read an article where “if it looks good and smells good, its fine” – and as for cereals I have no idea! I think you and me both probably finish that stuff off before it would ever expire though lol….sometimes in my kitchen at home we get moths in our food so in that case yeah – not eating it haha. and OMG YOU HAD MAGIC THE DRAGON……I’M SO JEALOUS. I never found him!!!!

57 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 17, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I love you just a little bit more for knowing about Magic <3 And I think my parents were secretly happy when I moved out because they’re big time fish eaters and I was always complaining that they were stinking up the house :lol:

58 Ellie@Fit for the Soul March 17, 2013 at 9:02 pm

It’s so interesting to see what toys were IN during our generation when we were children and see the differences between different countries~In Argentina we had other things that were collectibles. :D And I love your little gloves! They’re so~”Korean” because Korea has lots of cute little stuff like that. And as for cold hands and feet, my mom says that ginseng is really good for that because it has properties that help the body retain and catch heat; therefore, it’s only good for people with cold extremities and bad menstruation cramps, but not for people with really warm bodies or else it miiiiiight make them overheat! At least, that’s what I’ve learned from different people. Have a great evening Amanda!
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..First Time FoodsMy Profile

59 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! March 17, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Magic the dragon was my absolute favorite!! I think I still have him/her in my collection of stuffed animals at the parents house. Magic was most definitely my most-loved beanie baby :-). Oh, and I’m horrible about expiration dates. As long as it looks/smells/seems okay, I’ll probably eat it.
Also, I love doing dishes, especially when it’s cold (and in general! my friends & fam think I’m nuts). Which is weird, because I don’t get cold that easily.
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..Fun Things FridayMy Profile

60 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish March 17, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Haha, reading about your “let no food go to waste!” approach to eating brought a huge smile to my face, as I literally just finished baking…with coconut flour that expired a year ago. (!!!!) Since when does flour go bad? Sure, the coconut variety might be a little bit different than wheat, but it smelled okay, which in my book means that it is okay. My roommate freaked out when I told her what I was doing, which may or may not have been intentional. Now I know I have the pan of pumpkin bars to myself. ;)

Oh, Beanie Babies! I was completely struck by the craze in the 90′s, and owned an embarrassing amount. I actually have no idea where they are now; that’s a question I’ll definitely be asking my mom when we chat on the phone tomorrow. Tears will especially be shed over Patti the Platypus (one of my favorites!), if she in fact is missing.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend, Amanda! <3
Sara @ Nourish and Flourish recently posted..Ultimate Desserts and Tummy TroublesMy Profile

61 Katy March 18, 2013 at 12:36 am

I reallllly dislike salmon. I’ve tried and tried, but like you I just can’t stand it. Plain fish is fine, though. Especially covered in tartare sauce.
I HATE celery. The texture and taste makes me gag. And blue cheese. That stuff smells rank.
Katy recently posted..Looking After MyselfMy Profile

62 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 18, 2013 at 5:19 am

There honestly aren’t any foods that I strongly dislike – I will seriously eat anything haha! That being said, I’m not the biggest fan of fois gras and I never choose to eat it.

I find raw almonds kind of boring too. But you need to go out and find yourself a container of Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds. I can never keep my hand out of the jar when I buy them!

Haha I’m really bad about expiration labels too. I tend to buy things and put them in my pantry, then completely forget about them for months. I need to start keeping an inventory of my food. :P
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Whole wheat oatmeal Irish soda breadMy Profile

63 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 18, 2013 at 6:58 am

I’ve tried a few different flavored roasted almonds but had the same problem :? I’m thinking that it might have something to do with the almond skins – I’ve heard soaking them helps soften them up, so there’s always that option.

64 Lift, Sleep, Eat March 18, 2013 at 5:41 am

I can’t stand celery!! Ewww even the thought of it makes me gag..and any cheese cold, the only cheese I can eat is mozzarella when its melted on something..anything else and its a no go for me!
I don’t really pay attention to expiration dates either (other than meat or fish)..I’m like you, as long as it smells and tastes ok I’ll eat it..I figure I’ve got a strong digestive system and I’m not gonna throw away perfectly good food.
I’m always cold too! It’s awfullll…I pretty much just live in big fluffy socks + a dressing gown when I’m at home (I’ve been known to do the dishes in my dressing gown) haha!
Lift, Sleep, Eat recently posted..MIMM : Leaving the rain behindMy Profile

65 De @ Cooking for the Other Half March 18, 2013 at 5:59 am

Yay! I loved reading this post. I always like surveys because I get to learn more about my favorite bloggers.

I was also obsessed with Beanie Babies as a kid, and still have my collection at my parents’ house. Magic the Dragon is awesome!!!!!

My hated foods are similar to yours: olives, eggplant, & mushrooms (sometimes). I also suffer from cold hands/feet all the time. Brr.
De @ Cooking for the Other Half recently posted..lazy sunday & a cornbread recipeMy Profile

66 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 18, 2013 at 7:27 am

Yayy thanks so much for the nomination! I’ll definitely fill this one out this week. I love anything that lets me share random things about myself!

I also tend to ignore expiration labels. It’s probably bad, but I’d rather eat something slightly questionable than waste food. Unless it’s completely rotten or something. Now that I’ve typed that out it sounds really gross….haha
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Fitness Friday and Online ShoppingMy Profile

67 Kat March 18, 2013 at 8:12 am

Awww thanks for the tag my love!! I will be sure to do it this week :)
Im with you on the nuts thing, but I love them in trail mix!! Maybe its the crunch? I dont know. Oh and if they are smothered in some kind of flavoring then all bets are off. Sugar coated almonds? I can eat an entire container of them!!
I actually also had a ton of Beanie babies. I actually had some in special cases too, like my Princes Di bear.
Kat recently posted..Weekend’s Best.My Profile

68 kaity @ kaityscooking March 19, 2013 at 4:35 am

lol i am the same way with my food expiration’s.. i neverrrr pay attention to it! That call is hilarious, I think we all did it once in our life. I def have and threatened my family a bunch of times that I would again haha I still have all my beanie babies upstairs, actually all my stuffed animals. So sad. My parents attic is my childhood in boxes because I refuse to get rid of stuff I won at carnivals lol. When I am cold I too like doing dishes! I work at a salon too so when I am starting to get cold and I get to wash someone I get so excited, burning water on my hands at its finest.
kaity @ kaityscooking recently posted..Weekend HighlightsMy Profile

69 Kim March 19, 2013 at 9:25 am

Ahhhh those mittens are SO CUTE!!! I want a pair!
Kim recently posted..Weekend Wrap UpMy Profile

70 Trudy March 21, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Oh man! I can NOT stand fish either. When I was younger, I used to like fish sticks…but now the smell just turns me right off. CAN’T do it!

However, I LOVE snacking on nuts! But when I do eat them…I eat A LOT. Nummers.

The beanie baby is so dang adorable! No wonder you took it with you!

And expiry dates, I’m obsessed with! Except for yogurt…it always lasts longer.

ALSO. That last picture is ridiculously cute…need those mittens
Trudy recently posted..First Day!My Profile

71 Howa February 10, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Cold hands and feet cold be a result of food allergy, or a combination of other unknown issues. I used to have cold hands and feet for years between 18 and 35 years old. Then it just went away. Never thought about the reason until recently, when I experienced it again. The latest experience was definitely due to food problem. I ate some expired eggs. that has to be it. After 35, I took up kickboxing, and my hands and feet started sweating, which never happened before. and the cold hands and feet problem haven’t resurfaced. for years. So, either its the exercise itself, or its because those years was when I stopped eating rice. And I limited my food to a few things. Eliminated pork, and soy products. I notice my body warms up after a bowl of ramen, mixed with my own powders, not the package that came with the ramen. I noticed an acquaintance started to get cold after drinking soy milk. So, food allergy is on top of the list. Watch and make a list of what you eat. Stop eating most of those you suspect would cause a problem. And see if you get cold hands and feet immediately after re introducing them into your diet, one item a week.