. WIAW … doing what works .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on February 13, 2013

Helloooooo, friendly faces!

I missed you guys yesterday, but only a little :P Truth be told, it feels nice to get away every now and again – the blog world can get to be a little much sometimes, no? But that’s a whooooole other topic on it’s own, and one that I don’t really want to get into today seeing as it’s WIAW and all. So if no one objects, let’s talk food; and I really hope that no one does because I’m kind of a big fan of it – it being food…

WIAWveggies

I do have to admit, however, that I’m not really a fan of this month’s theme (sorry Jenn! I still love you, though!). Or rather, my stomach isn’t. Back in the day, I used to eat massive amounts of veggies; in fact, there was a time in my life where that was pretty much all I would eat…

Hooray for Blah Food?

But even without going all the way back to the darkest days of my ED, there was a long period of time during my recovery where I would bulk up my meals with a crazy amount of veggies because I was absolutely terrified that not having enough volume in my meals would leave me hungry… and heaven forbid I eat more if I wasn’t satisfied. So I ate monster salads…

Lunch Spread

… and enough squash and broccoli to make me look like I was 5 months pregnant…

Kabocha Remains
Broccoli and Ketchup

But even though I stuffed myself with enough veggies to leave me in a decent amount of physical discomfort, deep down I was never truly satisfied. It took a bit of time and a lot of effort, but eventually I cut the bulk out of my diet and started focusing on eating smaller volume, higher density foods that, despite my initial fears, actually left me perfectly satisfied. And as an added bonus, the massively protruding veggie-belly that had plagued me earlier disappeared as well. Double win. So now? Now the only veggies I really eat come in the form of these guys right here…

My Only Veggies

… and when they do make an appearance, it’s more as an afterthought than anything else. At first I wasn’t quite sure what to make of the lack of veggies in my diet, seeing as it goes against most healthy living recommendations and what have you, but following those ‘recommendations’ left me feeling like garbage more often than not, whereas now I’m feeling pretty pretty darned good – probably because I get most of my vitamins and minerals from eating my weight in fruit. And now, with all that backstory out of the way, we can finally get to the food!

So I know yesterday was Pancake Tuesday and all, and to give myself a little credit, I actually considered whipping up a batch of pancakes for breakfast to celebrate the occasion… buuuuut that thought lasted all of 5 seconds before I broke into the cereal stash…

Veggie-less Breakfast

Plain Greek yogurt – banana – blueberries – Puffins – Enjoy Life trail mix.

What can I say? I like my yogurt messes best. And as a quick aside, you know what kind of skeeves me out? The idea of eating veggies at breakfast. I know it’s a perfectly normal and common practice, but I just can’t stomach it – I tried putting pumpkin in my oatmeal on a few occasions and wasn’t even a big fan of that. Veggies for breakfast just doesn’t sit well with me. Veggies for lunch, on the other hand, I can definitely do…

English Muffin Lunch

Ezekiel English muffin with cheese, hummus, and deli turkey. Random veggies on the side.

And on the days where I don’t opt for having breakfast multiple times a day, veggies are perfectly welcome to make an appearance at dinner

Savory Pizza Oats

Savory pizza oats.

Sometimes I don’t even mind snacking on them…

Carrots and Sunbutter

Baby carrots and Sunbutter.

Sweet Potato

Baked sweet potato with cottage cheese and almond butter.

But more often than not, I have to admit that I prefer snacking on things like this…

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffin

Chocolate chip oatmeal muffin.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Chocolate chip cookie dough ball.

Chocolate Banana Muffin Mess

Deep chocolate Vitamuffin – plain Greek yogurt – banana.

Favorite Snack Combo

Banana and almond butter.

Quite the picture of health, aren’t I? I’d like to think so, actually. My diet may not be veggie and superfood packed, but it seems to be working for me – I feel good and I look good, so what else matters, right? :)

And now if you’ll excuse me, I have a date with a plumber. My shower drain has been backing up and as willing as I am to go without veggies, going without showers is just…. no.

Happy Wednesday, friends!

Can anyone relate to my veggie-bulking woes?
Do you have an easy time getting your veggies in?
Do you ever eat veggies at breakfast?

1 Lisa February 13, 2013 at 8:55 am

Haha, I love squash wayyy too much so I probably eat it more than I should;) although, I do have that problem where it just leaves me wayyyy too stuffed which I’ve finally picked up on so now am relying more on healthy fats and you know some more normal carbs like bread and oats;)
I have a pretty easy time getting veggies in, just because it’s like second nature now. Although I loe fruits much more than veggies.
And nope, veggies will never be eaten at Breakfast, it just doesn’t seem right!
Hope you got my e-mail a-okay:) Have a great day beauty!
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I did get your e-mail, hun :) I’ll be getting back to you soon!

3 Parita February 13, 2013 at 8:56 am

Woe is me when it comes to too many veggies! I feel SO UNCOMFORTABLE! But I find that if I eat very slowly and chew thoroughly, it decreases the painful side effects. And I love veggies, but those last few pics, especially the chocolate chip muffin, are making me drool. YUM.
Parita recently posted..A Well Stocked KitchenMy Profile

4 Alex @ therunwithin February 13, 2013 at 9:01 am

Your dinner is making me drool. thank you for bringing this up about ‘bulking meals’. you see it all so much in so many bloggers that show a lot of food when in reality that smoothie is maybe 100-150 calories and a salad or sandwich on low calorie bread that amounts to nothing. It is such a facade that leaves me asking what do their readers think? I don’t know, a big pet peeve of mine when I see it and wonder where the food is at? I mean for real.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Hello my name is…My Profile

5 Nicole February 13, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I second this! I see it a lot too and no one seems to comment on it… yeah, that person may be eating 6 times a day, but their meals are still only like 200 calories each so…. ugh. But I’ve realized that I’ve gotten past that hurdle myself with struggles and tears, and that means someone else can too — if they don’t, it’s their choice. I can only regard them with pity at this point.

But anyway, I would love to have pancakes but just like you, I go for the norm because I’m typically starving in the morning and don’t feel like spending too much time whipping something fancy up ;) And with regards to veggies… I basically eat them for dinner every night, but never for breakfast and very rarely for lunch. I used to eat salads (without a protein) for lunch all the time, but nowadays, there’s no way I would even TRY that again because the difference is: I actually like feeling full and can’t stand being hungry! Veggies are really just a side dish.

6 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 13, 2013 at 9:05 am

Besides for the occasional omelet (and I mean occasional…maybe a few times a year?) I don’t do veggies for breakfast either. I’d much rather go the sweet route. And yes – I’ve realized that my body seems to prefer a little volume-density over massive amounts of veggies too. I’m happier without the crazy bloating side effects! i’ll usually throw in a side salad or veggie with lunch and dinner (usually…I am planning brinner tonight so that will be veggie-less) and a handful of spinach into my smoothies and I’m good to go.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Eating Disorders Awareness Week.My Profile

7 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Woot for brinner – me too! Great minds think alike ;)

8 lisa fine @ vermont vittles February 13, 2013 at 9:27 am

I love my veggies, but I love fruit (and dairy) even more. We’re all out of my beloved bananas, oranges, apples, and yogurt, and it’s been a real challenge around here to figure out what the heck to eat for breakfast.

Yeah, there are definitely a bunch of bloat-causing veggies, and it’s about finding what works. I love cabbage, but find that making homemade sauerkraut (my fiance just made some last week!) is way easier to digest than when it’s sauteed or stir fried.
lisa fine @ vermont vittles recently posted..help improve vermont vittles enter to win a homemade vegetable moleskine notebookMy Profile

9 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

No bananas or yogurt?! Omigosh I would be at a loss too. I’d have to resort to eating dry cereal I think…

10 Allison @ Life's a Bowl February 13, 2013 at 9:46 am

I definitely can relate to your veggie bulking baby belly… But I actually have always loved veggies, strange but true. My parents said that when I was a baby, I could eat bags of frozen peas and be perfectly content. Strange child. Nowadays, especially the past couple of weeks, I’ve been changing my veggie consumption to focus more on cooked veggies and cutting back on raw veggies aka roughage because of my tummy troubles. I’d be lying to say that I didn’t miss them, but I’ve been enjoying trying new combos!
Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted..National Food HolidaysMy Profile

11 kris February 13, 2013 at 9:48 am

Veggies at breakfast just doesn’t have the right ring to it. nor does it sit too well with me. I like my breakfasts sweet and carby :) My stomach definitely cannot deal with an abundant amount of veggies either so I’ll just try to get them in whenever I feel like it. And in smaller servings. Mostly at dinner time. I like your approach to veggies though!
btw, savory pizza oats? geeenius.
kris recently posted..chinese new year + bulked up oatsMy Profile

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

The savory oats are kind of amazing… it’s like the perfect blend of breakfast and dinner ;)

13 Sarah @PickyRunner February 13, 2013 at 9:50 am

I had the same problem where I would get massive cramps from pretty much only eating veggies during the day. At night I would eat a regular dinner which would help with some of the cramping, but not all of it. I really do love eating vegetables in large quantities and it does make my stomach a little uncomfortable at times but carrots and green beans are two of my absolute most favorite foods, so I have decided it’s worth it sometimes. I just make sure to balance them with enough carbs to soak up all of the acidity. Or that’s what I tell myself carbs do, at least. I really just like them a lot.
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Quinoa mac and cheesyMy Profile

14 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Haha! That sounds perfectly legit to me.

15 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit February 13, 2013 at 9:51 am

So glad you mentioned the “5 months preggers” look, I have been there before & quickly got away from it by adding more protein & fats. Loading up on the veggies rather than the other stuff leaves me hungry 2-hours later! No bueno on the veggies for breakfast, unless it’s hidden in a smoothie, I like the sweets in the am! And you look gorgeous so you must be doin’ it right. Happy Wednesday chica!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Jamaican Me Crazy!My Profile

16 Chelsie S February 13, 2013 at 10:14 am

I know that veggies are important, but my body just feels so BLAH when I have them. I’m actually proud of the fact that I (too!) eat my weight in fruit each day (berries, bananas, apples, and pears mostly) and I really only get veggies from a pre-chopped salad mix with dinner. My tummy is happy, my brain is happy, and my body isn’t complaining yet! (I was never really much of a veggie fan anyway … I like them, but in moderation. Distance definitely makes me fonder!) I know that my food cravings and phases will bring many back, so I’m really not worried — like you said, going with what works! And I would definitely rather be actually full than tricking my body into thinking so, anyway. As always, thumbs up and big smiles to your insight. ;)

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Heehee. Yeah, the random handful of veggies that I throw in with lunch and call a salad is pretty sad. But stomach woes bring on an even bigger sad.

18 De @ Cooking for the Other Half February 13, 2013 at 10:29 am

I am totally with you on the veggie issue. With similar experiences and struggles, I also used to eat a ton of veggies and pile them onto my plate, both for “volume” and for “comfort” (safe foods and all…)

Your breakfast looks delicious– I love puffins! They have always been one of my favorite cereals.
De @ Cooking for the Other Half recently posted..haircut remorseMy Profile

19 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) February 13, 2013 at 10:42 am

Well, I WAS VeggieGirl, so… :D

20 Caitlin February 13, 2013 at 10:55 am

I definitely bulk up on veggies still. I’m trying to get away from it because I think it’s actually hurting my stomach ha but old habits die hard…thinking about limiting what i get at trader joes to helpbwith this ha…and i do eat a lot of veggie omelettes for breakfast and dinner
Caitlin recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday (Favorite Snacks)My Profile

21 Sharon February 13, 2013 at 10:56 am

Uh, your timing with this post is perfect.
I felt really hungry today, and instead of eating something satisfying I just filled myself with vegetables. It wasn’t until the afternoon when I was hit with horrible cramps. I had a feeling I knew what was the reason, and when I logged what I ate into a website I found out I at 300% of the recommend intake of fiber even before noon.
So now I’m just waiting, chewing on gum (I found that it helps), drinking herbal tea and waiting for my digestive system to sort it out.

22 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Eep! Definitely feel your pain on that one, girl. Hope you feel better soon!

23 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 13, 2013 at 10:57 am

OOooooo, thanks for the the link to the savory pizza oats. Those sound super tasty!!

And baked sweet potatoes are a MUST for me. I cannot live without them ;).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Roasted Radish ChipsMy Profile

24 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness February 13, 2013 at 11:04 am

I’m totally with you! I’d take cereal over veggies any day!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

25 Kendra February 13, 2013 at 11:14 am

I definitely had the same issue when I was trying to eat a “perfect” diet–I would eat a ton of veggies because they were on my list of “acceptable food to eat in illimitable quantities,” and would end up with a bloated stomach and other digestive woes. Though I still love eating veggies, I have come to realize that eating a ton of them at one time is NOT good for me; it is too much bulk and not enough calories. Sometimes I try to satisfy my hunger by eating several carrots or a bunch of squash, only to feel full but not SATISFIED, if that makes any sense:) Which isn’t surprising, seeing as I probably needed fat or carbohydrates, not just vegetables. The only time I have veggies for breakfast is when I have green smoothies or oatmeal with pumpkin or zucchini. Those I actually love, but my breakfasts are always on the sweeter side, even when they DO include veggies.
Kendra recently posted..WIAW–New FavoritesMy Profile

26 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Full but unsatisfied is a perfect way to describe it. Physically uncomfortable, but still hungry. Eek I definitely don’t miss those days.

27 Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes February 13, 2013 at 11:21 am

I used to do the exact same thing with veggies. I genuinely like them still, I just have them in much more moderation. Looks like an awesome WIAW and if it makes you feel good, that’s all that matters :-)
Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes recently posted..An early Valentine’s Day present for meMy Profile

28 sara @ fitcupcaker February 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

I love the idea of savory pizza oats…yum! And I love all your cereal messes…they truly inspire me :) Sometimes when I crave something sweet ill have almond butter or peanut butter with sweet potatos too, so good!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW & DIY Valentine’s Day GiftsMy Profile

29 Laura @ RunningJunkie123 February 13, 2013 at 11:24 am

I have found that if I have a big ol salad for lunch or breakfast than I feel really bloated, yet still hungry, for a rest of the day. I have to go with smaller portions of cooked veggies. I try to make sure I have some with lunch and dinner, so I get my 3 servings in.

I usually prefer a sweet breakfast, but every once and a while I like eggs w/sauteed veggies.

30 Missy February 13, 2013 at 11:34 am

I am living your veggie-bulking woes, Amanda and want to follow your lead and jump OFF that bandwagon because the tummy tautness is NO FUN.

The thing is …. I REALLLY love them. Not in a disordered way. And yes, I eat them at breakfast. Eggs and Greens and avocado….I could go on and on and it would for sure gross you out. LOL.

PS- Your first paragraph makes me think we may be in for another thought and discussion provoking post … and YAY!
Missy recently posted..Sparkly Side of the BedMy Profile

31 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Haha yeah there may be one of those coming up soon. And you can still love your veggies as long as you’re showing other food love too! A good balance is what helps keep the veggie-bulking woes from being so bad.

32 Lauren February 13, 2013 at 11:43 am

My veggie loving ways definitely went away with my ED, too. I used to eat an entire bag of raw broccoli in a night… Not only did I have a pregnant belly but I had bathroom woes, too. Oof. How embarrassing but so, so true.

I really don’t like eating veggies for breakfast. I used to eat eggs for breakfast but thinking back, it was always just an egg with toast and jam. I never wake up craving an omelet and if I would eat one, it would be lunch/dinner. Now, I like sweeter things in the morning. It brightens your day :-)

I wish I could say I’ve never been able to go days without showering; however, surgery has left me lazy and grouchy because I don’t go anywhere >:(
Lauren recently posted..Blueberries and Puffins, Oh My!My Profile

33 Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living February 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I know that vegetables are so good for you, and I should definitely have more salads in my life, but I have never been a natural grab for veggies kind of girl. Fruit, yes, vegetables, not so much. It definitely requires much more of a conscious effort on my part. Every once in a while I will have a veggie omelet for breakfast.
Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living recently posted..Long Days and Big BlessingsMy Profile

34 Khushboo February 13, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I definitely am the typical healthy living blogger in that I do love my veggies. Although I try to watch my intake otherwise I end up feeling so uncomfortably bloated. One thing that seems to help is eating my veggies with some kind of fat eg olive oil.

I love that you listen to your body even if it goes against popular consensus that veggies are the epitome of good health. As much as I’m all for eating veggies, I am sometimes surprised by the obsessiveness of eating them in every single dish from some bloggers- I believe the last straw was seeing someone add kale to their sweet oatmeal…ick!
Khushboo recently posted..Pick your joysMy Profile

35 Picky Nicky February 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm

hahah omg the kale in the oatmeal is hilarious!! I’ve seen someone add a blended spinach puree to “cookie” batter (need quotations because the cookies were nothing like real cookies!)
People should realize that there’s a time and a place for everything! :P
Picky Nicky recently posted..You Don’t Eat Enough SaltMy Profile

36 Khushboo February 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm

There truly is a time & place for everything! Sorry to knock it but spinach cookies sound vile.! You can probably guess my stance on “Green Monsters” :D

37 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I wish that pairing veggies with fat worked for me! I used to eat my squashes with copious amounts of almond or coconut butter but it never seemed to help :( Pity, because I honestly did love that stuff… And kale in oatmeal is blasphemy.

38 Hollie February 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Okay so I thought I was the only one who had the vegetable issues and enough to make me look like I had caught the pregs. I’m glad to know that is typical I guess…I have constantly found myself so bloated from having too many veggies. I haven’t been eating a lot of vegetables lately honestly. I have never been a huge veggie person (little kid at heart) but lately I think I’ve had 5 servings in the last month.
Hollie recently posted..Running Injuries and PaceMy Profile

39 Cassie @RedLetterDaye February 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I used to have the same tragic relationship with veggies and disatisfaction, and food babies, that you had. I eat way less now, but I’ve been eating egg scrambles round the clock, so if they come at breakfast, that’s usually where I’ll add some. I don’t really think I like omelets anymore though.I definitely think it’s about finding what works for you.

Just curious, you talked about HR monitors (that tried to spellcheck to monsters, btw) recently, and how posting pics can be triggering. And then I felt guilty, since I jumped on that bandwagon a bit, since I just got one and was intrigued my my own body’s workings. My “calorie burns” are never close to other girls, but I don’t care. Life’s not a competition for me anymore, but I know it is an unhealthy one for some

But I wondered how you felt about posting what you ate as being triggering. I can never even remember to photograph my food, and I eat like, the same thing all the time until I’m sick of it, so I don’t think I’ve even participated in a WIAW. But I’ve wanted to and like seeing everyone else’s meals for inspiration. Do you think this could possibly be a trigger though for some?

I deal with some really serious issues at work, and have become more attuned to how everything we say and do impacts others in ways we can’t possibly predict. It’s tough not to offend someone somewhere now.

Sorry for the novel. Just curious :) <3
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..Just dance: No if’s, ands, or but(t)s about itMy Profile

40 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 5:03 pm

That’s actually something that crossed my mind when I was writing that HRM post, but you’re right that eventually it becomes almost impossible to talk about anything without it offending someone. I just find numbers to be particularly bad when it comes to triggers and comparisons, which is why I try to avoid posting exact portion sizes when I talk about my eats. I also never post a full day of eats, which is something that I hope readers are aware of.

41 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Your food looks amazing! I bought some cottage cheese today. I’m so going to have to try it with almond butter.
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..{WIAW} Pancakes and ProteinMy Profile

42 Picky Nicky February 13, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Yep I’m with you on ditching the veggies a bit! I go through phases were I go vegetable crazy and it leaves me feeling sick to my stomach! All I want at that point is some greasy grilled cheese or a croissant to soothe my stomach haha most people might not understand but I really know what you’re talking about!!
Picky Nicky recently posted..You Don’t Eat Enough SaltMy Profile

43 Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian February 13, 2013 at 1:08 pm

What a veggie-filled post! It can be hard sometimes (even for a vegetarian like me) to get in tons and tons of veggies, but I’m always happy when I take the extra time and effort to chop them up and integrate them into what I’m eating.
Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian recently posted..Yesterday’s WorkoutMy Profile

44 Sana February 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I hate to call you out on it, but it’s a bit misleading to add random pictures of snacks to your WIAWs that are from other days while making it sound like all of the snacks were eaten on the same day. Also, why don’t you put dressing on your salads?

45 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Misleading? I never said anything about those snacks being from the same day, just that those are the kind of things that I prefer snacking on. I don’t always have the time or desire to photograph everything I eat, which is when older examples come in handy. I purposely avoid giving an accurate day of eats because the comparison trap is a nasty one and something that I wish people would stop doing. Besides, my WIAW this week wasn’t so much a WIAW as much as it was an attempt to address a different issue. And salad dressing? Olive oil and salt is how I roll.

46 Ashley @ Life and Fitness February 13, 2013 at 1:55 pm

The only time I can eat veggies at breakfast is spinach mixed in with eggs. Plain spinach is just gross.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..WIAW-Veggie StyleMy Profile

47 Miss Polkadot February 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Still guilty of eating huge amounts of veggies at lunch most of the time. At least I’m long over that phase when it was solely veggies but it’s still one of the major points I need to work on. What I’m worried about, though, is that downsizing my meals to include denser foods like grains wouldn’t satiate my stomach. It’s used to high quantities so I often find it hard getting saturated by smaller servings. My family doesn’t believe me which is making me feel even worse.
How were you able to “train” your stomach to feel full with smaller, less vegetable-laden meals? Did it take long? Sorry for these questions but I really want to be “normal” again.

Regarding vegetables for breakfast: These happen every now and then when I’m waking up craving savoury foods or during kabocha season :).
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Food with a side of feelingsMy Profile

48 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I actually didn’t find it being that much of a problem… the denser foods satisfied me a lot more than the massive amounts of veggies did, even in the smaller portions. Have you ever given it a shot to see if its an actual problem for you as opposed to just an irrational fear that you have?

49 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I’m a fellow non-veggie fanatic and pretty much have to force myself to buy them and eat them occasionally. The only staples I do have are lettuce and carrots, not much variety there! You know I’m a major supporter of eating what you’re actually craving!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #20: Old FavoritesMy Profile

50 Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom February 13, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I’m a vegetarian so I LOVE veggies! But I do get a little bit of a veggie belly sometimes, particularly if I’ve eaten a lot of veggies that give me gas (i.e. broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc.) I have NO trouble incorporating them into my meals ;) I usually will only eat spinach, onions, and green peppers as veggies in the morning, usually chopped up in potatoes or a tofu scramble.
Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted..Spaghetti Squash Blood WarsMy Profile

51 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 13, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I’ll be honest, I can’t eat too many veggies either!!! Some just KILL me. I really enjoy the taste of veggies, but my stomach hates me for it. I eat more “starchy” veggies than green veggies, because things like kale, brussel sprouts, etc. literally tear me up it’s terrible! I loooove your yogurt bowls, they make me droool!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..What I AteMy Profile

52 Ksenija @ Health Ninja February 13, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Happy Wednesday!

I had a good laugh as you mentioned veggies for breakfast. I also don’t get that concept. Even something breakfasty as omelette with vegetables sounds borderline lunch (brunch?) in my ears and even if I would enjoy more savory foods for breakfast, I would just miss my daily breakfast-food fix and needed to get the yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, pbj sandwich, pancake like food somewhere else in. And that would result in total chaos, wouldn’t it ;) ? Nah, I guess I am just a square when it comes to my favorite meal of the day and like to keep it veggie-free, aside from the occasional carrot cake oats or pumpkin pie oats.

But breakfast food for lunch or dinner is totally excusable. And those savory oats are bookmarked!

53 meredith February 13, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I can absolutely relate to the massive amounts of veggies! My son sometimes wonders if I am pregnant after dinner. I hate when that happens but I do love my veggies. I have been trying to eat less of them or figure out a way to eat them and not have my stomach protrude. It is so annoying, and sometimes rather uncomfortable!

54 Alex February 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

YES!! I had the same problem with eating sooooooooo many veggies, I looked like I had a food baby every day :) I’ve cut back from something like 5 HUGE servings of veggies spread over two meals. Yikes!! Let’s just say the bathroom and I were best friends for some time and I favored baggy tops. TMI? SORRY!!!
Now I have to force myself to throw a small handful of baby carrots next to my sandwich at lunch instead of half the darn bag! (My hands are extraordinarily orange, I’ll tell ya).
At one point, eating too many veggies caused MAJOR health issues..but now we’ve got a pretty good relationship going.
I sometimes eat eggs with cottage cheese, salsa, SPINACH, and lots and lots of hummus and parmesaen at breakfast. My family thinks I’m crazy :P
Alex recently posted..FATTY FAT TUESDAY!My Profile

55 Karey @ Nutty About Health February 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Wow, great post! I can relate to your veggie bulking woes. I think I tend to do this from time to time because I LOVE to see a big bunch of food on my plate, plus I really love roasted veggies. The problem lately seems to be some major tummy issues for me right now, wich may be similar to the situation you described… my tummy is so bloated & not very happy. :( I guess I need to look into it more & find out exactly what is causing the upset. I love the look of all of your eats & that you just do what works for you & your body. Good for you. :)
Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

56 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Definitely try to cut back on some veggies to see if it helps. I know it kind of sucks because I love roasted veggies too, but I love being bloat free a whole lot more!

57 Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes February 13, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I love sunflower seed butter! I just made a batch of my own!
Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes recently posted..WIAW: Whole 30 EditionMy Profile

58 Aimée @ Brighter, Balanced Future February 13, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I’m really working on reducing my veg inatke because I spend most days bloated and in pain, and I suspect my overload of veg may have to do with it.
Random question – since you live in Canada, do you speak French?

59 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I don’t. I studied it in school for about 8 years, and at one point I could actually understand it decently enough, but since stopping after high school, I’ve kind of lost most of what I picked up :?

60 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I eat my veggies! I make room for other food though too :)
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..#Whole30 Day3My Profile

61 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables February 13, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Your meals look pretty perfect to me girl! I eat spinach sometimes in my eggs for breakfast. I have been eating a ton of carbs and nut butter but not so much veggies lately either. I need to add more, but I’m allergic to all the good ones!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..WIAW #37 Lot’s of DalMy Profile

62 Jillian R February 13, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Hi! I noticed that you said that you never post a full day of eats. I would love it if you did- honestly, I love that you aren’t afraid to eat the calories that you need. Seeing how beautiful you are, even though you’re not munching on carrot sticks all day, is an inspiration to so many people! I’m very curious to see a full day of your food

63 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I’ve considered it before, but I really don’t like the comparison and judgment that comes with that sort of thing, and trying to photograph every random handful of stuff that I grab throughout the day would probably drive me a little crazy. I try to show that it’s perfectly healthy to enjoy everything in moderation, but aside from that, the amounts and specific foods are so different for everyone that I really don’t want anyone thinking that I’m some perfect example.

64 kaity @ kaityscooking February 13, 2013 at 7:05 pm

veggies have been so blah to me lately.. i use to do that and have just a whole squash for dinner, yeah it filled me up but obv was never enough ! i have been having savory oatmeal for breakfast for the past few days i cant get enough of it ! i love my green smoothies though but i really need to bulk it up with coconut oil , nutbutter or an avocado to make it satisfying, something i would have NEVER done a year ago..baby steps!
kaity @ kaityscooking recently posted..What I Ate On the WeekendMy Profile

65 Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition February 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I love this post Amanda! You are awesome. I put my veggies into green smoothies. If I eat too many veggies (ahem..squash ), then I’m way too full for anything else. Thank you and happy WIAW!
Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition recently posted..WIAW- The Protein Pancake TakeoverMy Profile

66 Kate February 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Hey, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it right?? Do what works for YOU. I am with you on this one – i do generally eat veggies for both lunch and dinner most days, but the only ones I can really eat without stomach issues are spinach, kale, tomatoes (which are technically a fruit lol), avocado, potatoes (which don’t really count…they’re like a starch)…yeah that’s about it. I mean, I truly LIKE asparagus and zucchini and carrots and squash, but eating too much of them just makes my stomach HURT. Fruit is where it’s at! plenty of phytonutrients there, and hey – you eat whole grains, hummus is made of beans, you’re not really completely “veggie” deprived. :-D

67 Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet February 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Once in a blue moon I’ll have a spinach egg white omelette for brunch with toast. I just need my sweets at breakfast! Which reminds me I need to get puffins to make your breakfasts!!
Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet recently posted..Amaretto Fudge “Truffles” (GF & Vegan)My Profile

68 Jessie February 13, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I have always been very big into veggies, hint why I eat so many during the day, but I do pair it with protein as well… and I think that’s why it works for me.
Jessie recently posted..Thankful Thursday : Part 2My Profile

69 Brittany February 13, 2013 at 9:18 pm

It sounds like you’ve found EXACTLY what’s working for you and you OWN IT! I eat so much randomness that I am sure I’ll never figure out what causes me to bloat and be gassy (other than the obvious like..beannnss!) I love me some veggies, but I gladly go a day or two without a lot of them. I have been carb heavy lately and I am more than ok with that!
Brittany recently posted..Taking A Week OffMy Profile

70 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie February 13, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Veggies for breakfast are a no-go for me unless I’m having a sweet potato topped with nut butter or using shredded carrot to make a carrot cake inspired breakfast. Otherwise it’s just too weird!

I try to eat some kind of veggie every day, more often than not at lunch and dinner, but I definitely prefer greens like spinach and kale to a lot of other veggies, and I’m weird in that I actually prefer most veggies in their raw form, like cauliflower and broccoli–both taste amazing dipped in salsa! I’ve been branching out with my veggies a lot in the past couple of years and I’ve found ones I love and ones that are just no-nos, like beets and tomatoes. However, I will always be a bigger fan of fruit than veggies! They’re just too darn good, and I LOVE most of them!
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..WIAW: I’m Baaaaack!My Profile

71 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 14, 2013 at 8:28 am

Anything dipped in salsa is pretty amazing – I think even cardboard would be passable as long as it was smothered in salsa. But even the thought of eating raw broccoli or cauliflower gives me a stomach ache – those are a couple veggies that I definitely can’t tolerate unless they’re cooked.

72 Sara @my less serious life February 14, 2013 at 4:14 am

i crave sweet meals like you all the time. except for dinner that is what they are most of the time. i do get my greens usually – but in the form of a sweet green pb chocolate smoothie! you know its true!
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..what i ate wednesday: issue 68My Profile

73 Shreya @ rushofendorphins February 14, 2013 at 4:26 am

Veggies for breakfast are like veggies for dessert – a big no no! Actually I can only stomach savoury for lunch and dinner… Every time else my sweet tooth is raging!
Shreya @ rushofendorphins recently posted..A realisationMy Profile

74 Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 14, 2013 at 4:39 am

I have certainly been there before… huge salads for lunch and dinner would occur, no dressing, minimal fat added (maybe a few almonds), and then I expected to feel fantastic after. UMM NOOOPE. It was a feeling of death, or errr extreme gassiness and yep, pregnancy like you said! Gorgeous, urgh. Now I do have vegetables in my diet but they are more often cooked than not as this is easier on my stomach and FAT is always there to help with digestion and delicious flavor!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- Busy and Admittedly ConfusedMy Profile

75 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 14, 2013 at 5:43 am

I can so relate! Back in the day when I first started my blog, I ate so many monster salads, because I let myself be too influenced by what I saw on blogs. But then I realized that I was treating F/V like they were the only important food group, and slacking in the other food groups. Nowadays I still enjoy eating my vegetables, but not in massive quantities at once and I make sure I balance them with other food groups!

I can’t do veggies at breakfast either. I need my sweet foods in the mornings! The exception is pumpkin in oatmeal, but that doesn’t count because I cook it into the oatmeal with half a banana, so it ends up being a sweet breakfast. :D
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..8 foods for heart healthMy Profile

76 Karla @ myhighonlife February 14, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I love my veggies for breakfast.. an egg white omelete with lots of peppers/onions is the bomb. But that’s not to say I don’t like my fruit/yogurt/granola bowls either. All depends on the day :)

I need to make sure I’m eating more veggies. My boyfriend hates all vegetables (and anything remotely healthy for that matter..yet he still is super fit) so when we’re together I find myself eating junk!
Karla @ myhighonlife recently posted..Perfect Weekend GetawayMy Profile

77 Irina @ Chocolatea Time February 14, 2013 at 2:04 pm

It’s so refreshing to read a WIAW post that’s not a photo bomb of veggies, veggies, and more veggies. I think it’s almost too easy to fall under the comparison trap, especially with these WIAW posts. She ate more veggies than me?!? She had smaller portions than me?!? Etc. Which is why I adore that you stay true to what your body truly craves instead of what it “should” be fueled with. You set a great example for all the people out there who struggle with unhealthy eating habits. And I’m totally with you – carbs all the way! My veggies have been sparse lately as well, especially these past few wintery months. Once the cold strikes I’m all about “heavier” foods. But the thought of veggies for breakfast kind of makes my stomach churn – the only exception is a breakfast skillet which I tend to order only when I go out to eat for breakfast.
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Frames From The Weekend 2/8/2013 – 2/10/2013My Profile

78 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling February 14, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I cannot stomach veggies for breakfast either! I need sweeeet food in the morning. On rare occasions where I go out to breakfast or brunch I may get an omelet or skillet but usually accompany those with pancakes ;)
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..Curly Hair TutorialMy Profile

79 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 14, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Everything looks and sounds so delicious. Well except the whole shower backing up thing. That’s no fun. I’m afraid I must confess. I adore my veggies in all shapes, sizes and pretty much at any meal. I could drink them for breakfast, eat them for lunch, plate them with dinner or even brinner. My stomach is like steel (not in a six pack way…sigh) but they don’t make me uncomfortable. Weird but true. I could also and sometimes do eat my body weight in fruit, eggs and cheese.

80 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate February 14, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Amen, if your body is loving the way you are eating that it all that matters. :-)
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..The Best Part About Valentine’s DayMy Profile

81 sarah February 14, 2013 at 6:22 pm

This is actually a really common problem, and kudos to you for doing what works, even though we are constantly told to eat more veggies! I don’t have this problem personally, but I know a lot of people who do. Many of them continue to eat a ton of veggies, thinking their body will eventually adjust, but for most of them it doesn’t. I am not sure WHY some of us can digest loads of veggies better than others, but such is life. Do you do better with cooked veggies?
sarah recently posted..Blog Revival and a Few Book Reviews: Introverts, Decisions, and Critical ThinkingMy Profile

82 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I do slightly better with cooked veggies, but they still cause me problems if I start to eat them too regularly.

83 Jill February 14, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I wish I could break free what the crap tanglement I’m in and be like u more. For sure.

What kind of deli slices do you buy? Do you have a link? I miss deli meats but can’t find anything that looks “normal” enough to eat if you know what I mean…

Ever try the full fat mediterranee PLAIN yogurt ? A lot less protein and not organic but its the only one at my grocery store lately…very thick and creamy! Not bad. Full of cals and fat…the way I like things apparently :) (not sure how to make an icon for “sheepish face” ).
I also have been eating “Iogo” either the 2 or 3.5 % milk fat cause yogurt selection is zilch lately…and I must say, its okay…I use to ban “Iogo” because its not what my orthorexic self terms as “healthy”…well screw that..the vanilla is yummy. So there.

My mother just bought a kingsized package of multigrain cheerios. She loves them…you? Honey nut use to be a fave of mine.

I wonder if you’ve ever had the Mini Wheats? Tons of different flavors and if you like little pillows and shredded wheat, you might like them. You can get frosted, or honey or blueberry muffin flavors. I use to love the vanilla or the maple frosted!!

I’m trying to get my mother to try the Nature’s Path pumpkin flax granola cause I think she’d like them…she’s very much a “stick to my foods’ person though…she’ll eat her balogna, corn flakes, oatmeal, and 10 slices of bread per day literally :) Creature of habit and “old school”.

I also hear the “Mesa Sunrise” from Nature’s Path is okay…not sure.

And I don’t know about you about I eat chocolate literally every day…kind of funny how I can’t go one day without at least one ounce of chocolate (and that’s with a big snack…I tend to eat at least 600 calories at 10 pm bedtime snack….problem I am working on, or pretending I’m working on it anyway).
I also made these “chocolate cupcakes” from “Elana’s Pantry”. Makes 6 cupcakes. Ate them all in one sitting. Fricking delicious. Eeasy recipe too, you can google it…but basically 1/4 cup EACH of coconut flour, cocoa powder, coconut oil, honey + a bit of baking powder or soda (can’t remember) and 4 eggs….pretty easy and quick to make. And quick to devour (apparently for me!!). I also tried the “almond butter fudge” and the “pb blondies” from the Detoxinista and addicting.

Elana’s Pantry has a nice fruitcake too that my parents love …full of sweetend cherries (I added gumdrops), raisins, nuts, etc…quick and easy to make.

I made some blueberry muffins from “Sally’s Baking Addiction” and a good classic recipe I must say that was.