. smiling baby elephants .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on October 7, 2012

Hello, hello! How’s everyone doing on this fine Sunday afternoon?

I woke up this morning with some serious DOMS in my arms and shoulders, so I guess yesterday’s workout must have been a good one ;) As for the room itself, I have to say that I’m pretty darn happy with how it turned out…

Much better! Now it just needs some finishing touches, and we’ll be good to go. Decorating will have to wait, though – it’s Thanksgiving long weekend for us up here in Canadaland and there’s a turkey dinner to be eaten tonight!

Can.not.wait [for dessert]

And if you’re wondering about the title of today’s post, it’s coming. The lovely Irina over at Chocolatea Time gave me this award a few days ago, and I thought today would be a great day to fill it out, seeing as I’ve been charged with tonight’s dessert and have yet to make it… Someday I’ll stop procrastinating. Someday ;)

Rules:
~If you are nominated you must include the link in a blog, linking to the person/blog that nominated you~
~You must answer some questions and nominate 7 fellow bloggers and link their blogs in your post~
~Let the people you have nominated know that you have nominated them!~

1. Who is your favorite philosopher? :shock: Seriously? I didn’t expect to ever come across a question like this… I’m kind of a hardcore geek when it comes to philosophy (it was my second major in university) so this makes me just a tad bit giddy. I’ll do my best to suppress my inner philosophy nerd and keep my answer simple, though: Socrates and Plato. I like the ancient Greeks. They were clever little pitas.

2. What is your favorite number? I don’t really have one? It used to be 4 based solely on the fact that it was the day I was born, but all numbers are pretty much in the same league for me right now. Do people actually have favorite numbers? Like really? And what makes that one number stand out above the rest?

3. What is your favorite animal? It always has been, and probably always will be, wolves. Aside from the fact that I think they’re absolutely gorgeous, there’s something so mysterious and almost haunting about them – I can’t help but be captivated. That being said, I have a soft spot for elephants as well… especially the baby ones. Squeeeeee.

4. What are your Facebook and Twitter? Don’t laugh, but I literally just set up my very first Facebook account for Spoons like 4 days ago and I still have no idea how to use it or what to even use it for. I never had a personal Facebook account so I’m feeling a little bit lost… As for Twitter, it’s @runwithspoons.

5. What is your favorite time of day? Early mornings. Even though I seem to be slightly shifting back to my night owl ways by consistently staying up later and later, nothing beats the peace and quiet of the early morning – especially since it happens to be the time where you get to enjoy the best meal of the day.

Oikos Greek yogurt – banana – peach – blueberries – Kashi Cinnamon Harvest – roasted almond butter

6. What was your favorite vacation? I’m going to have to go with Disneyland and Cali on this one, mostly because it’s the freshest in my mind and the first one that I went on since getting sick where I truly felt that freedom that you’re supposed to feel on vacation – Europe is a lot less beautiful when you pack an ED in your suitcase…

7. What is your favorite physical activity? Walking. I used to be really big on more intense forms of exercise, like HIIT, lifting, and running, but now a simple daily walk suits me just fine. And when winter hits and there’s a decent amount of snow on the ground? I’ll be hitting the slopes to do some snowboarding.

8. What is your favorite non-alcoholic drink? I’m going to have to go with coffee on this one. Not only am I kind of in love with the taste, but drinking my daily cup of coffee is basically my “me time” and I always look forward to it. That being said, I love a good coffee date with friends, so if you ever need a drinking buddy, look me up ;)

9. What is your favorite flower? Is it strange that, as a woman, I don’t really have one? I guess I could go with one of the more popular choices, like roses or lilies, but in all honesty, I think all flowers are gorgeous. Even a simple bouquet of daisies has the power to brighten up a room, and that’s definitely not something to scoff at. I do have a soft spot in my heart for lilacs, though, simply because the smell reminds me of summers at home.

10. What is your passion? Writing. Reading. Words in general. I can’t remember a time where books and journals weren’t a part of my life, and I can’t imagine my life without them. I see life as a narrative – whether we’re conscious of it or not, we’re the protagonist in a story that we’re constantly writing as we go about our daily lives; and I think it’s a beautiful thing to be able to use language to express that in a more concrete form.

Woo all done!

And now to nominate some other wonderful bloggers… To be honest, I hate having to pick and choose because there are so many blog[ger]s out there that I love, but I also know how awesome it feels to be singled out specifically, sooo:

Kat @ Katalyst Health
Lisa @ Lisa Lately

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin
Sam @ Better with Sprinkles

Tessa @ Amazing Asset

Alexandra @ Tales of a Freckled Lifter
 Khushboo @ Khushboo’s Blog

And now it’s off to bake and enjoy a good old-fashioned turkey dinner. See you guys tomorrow with a recap!

What’s your favorite animal?
Did the baby elephant make you smile? See how ridiculously infectious smiling is? :D

1 Kat October 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Just thought you should know, your blog is the 1st thing I read or check every morning :)
I love this survey!! Thx so much for the tag babe :) I actually LOVE wolves as well. My daddy lives in the country, so coyotes are very common there. They run around at night in packs, and we can hear them and sometimes see them from our house. Creepy but awesome all at once :) And I know not quite the same as wolves, but almost! And writing and reading is totally my passion (besides food and fitness). Ive kept a journal for as long as I can remember, and Ive been reading since my daddy handed me a book at 4 years old. My sissy and I used to go to the book store when it opened and sit there all day, reading books together and sipping on coffee. My daddy used to have me read HIM a bed time story when I was younger. It was so much fun <3
Kat recently posted..Simply Stevia ReviewMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 8, 2012 at 7:55 am

<3 <3 <3 :D

3 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie October 7, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Awww, that elephant is so cute! I love baby animals in general, especially lambs and goats. I’ve always been a city girl, so no personal experience with them but I’ve always thought they were cute.

My favorite physical activity is either going on a long walk (a major shopping trip totally counts!) or playing tennis with my dad. We started playing together a couple of years ago and now we try to play at least a couple times a month as a way to have fun and get more one-on-one time.
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..Vegan MoFo: Pumpkin MacaroonsMy Profile

4 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm

The room looks fabulous! Now you can come work on mine. ;)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Protein Pumpkin PuddingMy Profile

5 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 8, 2012 at 7:53 am

Lol I think I’ve hit my painting limit for the next two years…

6 Alexandra October 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Aww thanks for the tag sista!! :D This survey made me smile so much, especially the title. I mean, what can be cuter than a baby elephant?! especially a smiling one!
My all time favorite animal is either a great white shark or an okapi. I can’t decide!! :D
Alexandra recently posted..Pumpkin OmeletteMy Profile

7 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate October 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Wow, that was the perfect color choice, the room looks great! And I have officially decided that I need a pet baby elephant.
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Return of the Hot BarMy Profile

8 Angela October 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm

You majored in philosophy in university? Very cool! No wonder you’re so brainy and wise lol. Btw if you don’t mind me asking, what university did you attend?

9 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 8, 2012 at 8:13 am

University of Alberta and Grant MacEwan.

10 lindsay October 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm

i shall stalk you on twitter now. YEA!
;-P
lindsay recently posted..Feed me FridayMy Profile

11 Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm

LOVE the color. Love love love. Seeing it on your walls just officially reassured me that it’s the color I want in my room. I was worried that it would be too dark but it looks so cozy, warm, and inviting! I had no idea that you minored in philosophy. Talking to people with your philosophical knowledge is so interesting….please come to Chicago now :) And I actually just set up a Facebook for my blog too and have zero idea how to use it :/
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Weekend Waffles – Buckwheat Pumpkin Spice EditionMy Profile

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 8, 2012 at 8:22 am

Okay, I’m officially convinced that we need to keep in touch outside commenting. Going to e-mail stalk you now ;)

13 Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 8, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Couldn’t agree more :) :)
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Frames From The Weekend 10/5/2012 – 10/7/2012My Profile

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 7, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Thanks for the nomination dearest! <3

Baby animals in general just make me smile…but yes, that elephant was definitely adorable. :-D

Hope your Thanksgiving has been wonderful!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips.My Profile

15 Khushboo October 7, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Ah thanks so much for nominating me, Amanda- really put a smile on my face…great way to start the week! Loved learning more about you and baby elephants are absolutely adorable…and so are pandas! I saw them for the first time during my trip to China earlier in the year and I couldn’t get enough! What I would do to live their kinda life- eat sleep repeat! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family…from your instagrams alone, I am sure it was deeelish!
Khushboo recently posted..Important QuestionsMy Profile

16 Jessie October 8, 2012 at 12:29 am

love the color and final outcome. it looks great!!

17 Floey October 8, 2012 at 5:21 am

Wow your walls turned out great! Have a wonderful week :)
Floey recently posted..The Wordless YearMy Profile

18 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 8, 2012 at 6:31 am

Thanks for tagging me girl. And happy Thanksgiving! :D

My favourite animal has always been otters. I think I read a picture book about them when I was 3 and so I’ve loved them ever since hehe.
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..The House of BlacktreeMy Profile

19 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body October 8, 2012 at 6:37 am

I loved learning more about you from this survey! I think it is great that you know what you are passionate about! Reading and writing is what I loved doing all through highschool, but then I abandoned it once entering university. It something I long for so much now! I am thinking about starting to do some more creative writing exercises which I used to love doing a few years ago. I am totally with you on the coffee, the taste is fabulous, and my me time is when I am having my coffee, which is the best time of day :)
Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted..Broccoli and Cheddar Corn CakesMy Profile

20 Ellie@Fit for the Soul October 8, 2012 at 9:53 am

Ahhh I love how unique you are Amanda! Your choice of animals is super cool, and I have to agree…You’ve opened a whole new realm of them for me :D And you seriously did a great job with the walls~WOW, it looks professional.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Enjoy Your Salmon Two WaysMy Profile

21 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm

It better look good since I’m still feeling it! :lol:

22 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 8, 2012 at 10:53 am

I think my favorite animals are bears. It’s really odd, but since I became a backpacker and really had to start thinking about the threat of bears in the wild, I’ve really developed a respect and admiration for them. They’re so beautiful, and they are nice enough to let me trespass in their wonderful home!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Yogi-in-TrainingMy Profile

23 HollieisFueledByLOLZ October 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

AWE adorable and I love learning more about bloggers through these things. I really like the color of the walls, I think it turned out really well.
HollieisFueledByLOLZ recently posted..Waffles…on MondayMy Profile

24 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) October 8, 2012 at 10:59 am

The chocolate fondue walls look great!!

Plato is awesome – definitely have a few favorite quotes from him.

Favorite animal = White siberian tiger.

The baby elephant is too adorable :D

25 Brittany October 8, 2012 at 11:10 am

Your new wall looks great! I love it. I lovee this survey too. I used to love penguins and pandas..but I love all animals so this is a crazy hard question. Can I be boring and say cats? I love cats because I can actually own them without being mauled. That elephant picture is adorable too, all baby animals make me swoon!
Brittany recently posted..ChangeMy Profile

26 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Lol you can definitely say cats. I’d love to have one, but I’ve got pesky allergies to them :(

27 Ed October 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Love that desk set up, must make things more comfortable now for working n the computer.

My favorite animal would have to be hmmm go questions. I do like the ocean sunfish because they are soo huge and awkward. I also love whales, period. I really enjoy watching them and trying to take pictures of them…
Ed recently posted..Larabar Giveaway and Review!My Profile

28 Missy October 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm

The office is Beautiful!! So happy for you — you’ve created a nice little nest and I betcha anything you will feel so much calmer in there and actually more in love and appreciate of it because of the DIY. That’s been my experience anyways.

I’ve got a serious thing going on for Giraffes – ever since I was little. But I love lots of animals…and insects…Butterflies…caterpillars. I’m a bit cliche in that but alas.
Missy recently posted..ommm….My Profile

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 8, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Omigosh yes, SO much calmer. I swear that the red was subtly anxiety provoking…

30 Lisa October 8, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Oh yay! So excited to do this survey! I love these things so much ha ha!
Elephants are totally adorable, I love penguins. When I was younger I had a major obsession with them.
The walls look great! I could never be trusted with painting my own walls ha ha.
Lisa recently posted..Extra Delicious and Plant PowerMy Profile

31 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm

What a fun quiz! I have No idea how i’d answer #1 though! :)
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..A Taste of AtlantaMy Profile

32 Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm

First, thanks so much for nominating me Amanda! This is a fun quiz and I plan to complete it real soon! Your desk set is great, you need that kind of space to actually get anything done :) Organization and cleanliness keeps me going
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..A Mistake I Made & Blog TalkMy Profile

33 Albizia October 8, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Yes, the baby elephant made me smile. All pictures of happy elephants do. They are just so cute! I’ve had a special place for elephants in my heart since I was 4 or 5. I still have a small collections of elephant toys and figurines. And I love wolves too. Beauty, grace and independent spirit. They can’t get any better.
Albizia recently posted..Quiz time!My Profile

34 kris October 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm

i’m loving the chocolate fondue color of your walls! and the baby elephant definitely made me smile. so.cute. i think i love all baby animals. they’re all so tiny and adorable!
kris recently posted..chocolate banana almond muffinsMy Profile

35 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 10, 2012 at 5:11 am

Oh the color turned out GREAT! You’ve almost convinced me to head to the store for some pain swatches!…almost! ;)

Favorite animal: white tigers…so beautiful!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Ahhhh-ktober!My Profile