Happy #thinkingoutloud Thursday! No idea what I’m going on about? Click here!
1. It was only a matter of time! Pokemon Go finally hit Canada, and apparently all the new downloads were enough to crash the app’s servers on Sunday afternoon. I dunno. I don’t really feel like I’ve seen a tonne of people wandering around and playing, but then again, people are always walking around looking at their phones anyways so it’s hard to say what they’re up to. That and I’m probably not hanging out in all the right spots since I haven’t downloaded the game myself. I’m not sure why, but I never got into the whole Pokemon franchise, even back in the day when it first came out.
2. That doesn’t mean I’m not constantly playing something though. Last week I told you guys about Google Feud, and this week I’m telling you about Slither.io…
So if you’ve ever played the old-school game Snake, then Slither.io will look pretty familiar since it operates on the same basic premise. You’re this little worm/snake guy, and your goal is to zoom around and eat as many orbs as possible so that you can grow bigger and longer, all while making sure you don’t crash into anything. The only catch is that you’re in the world with a bunch of other people, a lot of whom are probably trying to kill you. See, the bigger you get, the better chance you have of using your little snake body to surround and trap another player, which will eventually force them to crash into you, breaking them apart into little orbs that you can eat to grow even BIGGER. Or you can be a jerk and cut them off so they crash right into you. I’m telling you… it’s strangely fun once you figure out all the little tricks. Oh, and it’s a lot easier to play if you do it with an actual mouse vs. the trackpad on a laptop.
3. Okay. Enough about the games. Let’s talk hair. I’ve lost count of how many weeks I’ve been doing the co-washing thing, but at this point I feel like I can confidently say that I’ll never go back to shampoo. Never. Well, maaaaaaaaybe once in a blue moon if I start feeling like my hair has a tonne of build-up on it, but so far I’ve seen nothing but positive results from giving up the ‘poo… and it just keeps getting better now that my hair has adjusted to the new routine. Oh! And I picked up a cleansing conditioner designed specifically for co-washing, but don’t ask me why I picked this particular one because the answer is pretty lame -> it was on sale and I just so happened to come across it while doing my grocery shopping. Good thing it seems to be working.
4. And because I’ve had a bunch of people ask, I need to do a nail update. So I didn’t end up going the full 14 days because: a) the nail-bed growth was driving me crazy, and b) I wanted to see what my nails looked like after having gels on them for a few weeks. For those wondering, removing the Essie gel couture polish is like removing any other polish – you just take a cotton ball soaked in remover and it comes right off. Easy, peasy. My nails did end up feeling a little dry and rough, but after a couple days of no polish and regular moisturizing, they were pretty much back to normal… And now I’m back to rocking some Essie again.
5. I’m also back on Instagram after disappearing for… err… a while 😳 See, I have this bad habit of abandoning certain social media platforms when I start feeling overwhelmed (it’s the introvert in me), aaaaaand IG was the most recent victim. BUT! I’m back and planning to stick around from here on in, so check it out if you want to get some early sneak peaks on upcoming recipes and see pics that don’t appear on the blog.
6. Also! Thank you guys for all your feedback last week on WIAW vs. Favourites question. I was actually really surprised to see that the majority of people prefer to see a favourites post over a WIAW post, so I’ll be sticking to showing my eats every other week.
7. And that’s it for me this week! I hope you guys have an awesome Thursday (and Friday), and I’ll see you on Saturday with a new recipe 😋
No questions! Just tell me whatever randomness comes to mind!
More places to find me!
E-mail — [email protected]
Twitter — runwithspoons
Facebook — runningwithspoons
Pinterest — runwithspoons
Instagram — runwithspoons
Bloglovin — runningwithspoons
Snapchat — runningspoons
Try this new super nice hack
Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
Hahaha that Jumanji meme – I love it.
I recently started washing my hair less often – I’ve gone from every other day to every 3 days, and now I’m working up to every 4 days. I feel like my hair feels different, but I’m not sure if it’s necessarily looking different yet… I’m interested to see if that changes. Maybe I’ll have to try co-washing next if this experiment doesn’t make a difference.
Okay I definitely need to go pick up some of that new Essie polish- sounds like miracle polish to me! Have a great weekend Amanda!
K, wait. You don’t wash your hair at ALL anymore? What’s co-shampoo? It sounds like a sorority shower room. Sexy. But, I’m thinking it’s probably not, and will leave you with a lot less rashes. 🙂 But seriously, my hair is SO HUGE and SO THICK and I run SO MUCH that I barely wash my hair that much anyway. Mayyyyybe once a week? I freshen it up (aka disguise the bacon/sweat smell) with coconut scented conditioner whenever I shower (at least once a day). But shampooing dries my hair right out.
Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
I was wondering where you were on IG – so glad you are back! Gosh – I am addicted to old school Bejeweled Blitz – play it during meetings – so hopefully no one from my work will read this…
And – do you mind telling me where you found that cleansing conditioner, Amanda? I sure would love to get my hands on that!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend! xoxo
Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet
I’m the same way with Instagram..I hate to admit it, but the second I start to feel stressed in other areas of my life, I begin to neglect responding to comments and posting regularly. Ah well, we’re only human! Glad you’re back 🙂
I’m not a gamer and have no interest in Pokemon Go! I’m glad it’s getting people out and active at least 🙂
Ange // Cowgirl Runs
I also don’t see myself downloading Pokemon Go. I think I’m just a bit too old as I was never into it as a kid, but my sister sure was!
If you ever do have build up of product, I highly recommend using baking soda water to get it out… I read it in curly girl (the updated one), and I tried it and it works so well! I love the way my hair feels afterwards. The recipe in the book says 1 TBSP of soda to 1 c. of water, which I use because I have thick hair. You might want to reduce it if you have thin hair. Also, word of warning, be careful of getting it in your eyes. I cover my eyes with a washcloth while I pour it on, and that works well for me. Just wanted to throw that out there, so that you could try it if you wanted/ever needed to!
Amanda - RunToTheFinish
Totally get you on abandoning a platform!!! lately the blog itself has felt like so much as the interaction has dropped…but in 10 years I’ve really never taken a break and it freaks me out. Social on the other hand, ehh it happens.
Sarah @ Foxy's Domestic Side
hahaha!!!! That first MEME…hilarious!
Jo @ Living Mint Green
Finally found the Essie polish and currently rocking coral! I’m excited to see how they hold up against my outdoor adventures this weekend!!
Also, your blog always crashes my browser and it takes forever for things to load/comment. (Google Chrome)
Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
I never got into Pokemon as a kid either. I think because we had just become teenagers when it got popular, so we were interested in other stuff.
I only wash my hair twice a week. I only recently heard about co-washing, I might have to try it, especially since my hair is trained to not be washed a lot…yes even if I exercise…it can usually tolerate one pretty sweaty workout without being washed (just a good rinse)!
Jessie @ The Acquired Sass
I’m staying away from this Pokemon nonsense, but I did see a group of grown men who no doubt were playing Pokemon the other night. They were all walking very slowly, en mass, staring at their phones and abruptly stopping occasionally. You’ll know it when you see it.
Happy Fit Mama (@happyfitmama)
I so don’t get the Pokemon thing. We did a sunset hike last Friday and a girl was playing it while hiking. Really?!?! What about enjoying the beautiful nature around you instead of creepy little Pokemon things. What are they anyway?!?!
I for one love having you back on Instagram. Instagram first, Snapchat next. 🙂
Rachael @ Catch me if you can
what im curious about with the co-washing is do you workout/sweat a lot? i run a lot and i want to try this but my head gets super sweaty and i wonder if the conditioner only would still be a good choice. i dont remember reading if you worked out or not so I was just curious.
I’ve been to the beach a bunch lately…..because hey, I live here and I should go….right? Well, I’ve noticed that the salt water makes my hair super soft if I don’t wash it with shampoo for a few days, just scrub up the natural scalp oils into the hair and rinse really well. I’m not even getting that sticky feeling that usually happens with salt water hair. I’ll be curious to see how the co-washing goes in the winter as that’s the time my hair really suffers!
Pokemon Go has definitely been the rage, but since I live out in the country, I don’t really see anyone playing it. I watched some videos on people playing it in NYC, and it was crazy. I’m not really a computer game person anymore. I used to play them, but I guess life got too busy? Or maybe they lost the appeal for me.
Co-washing really fascinates me. I wonder if I could do it!
Not even kidding, the guy next to me on the elliptical at the gym yesterday was playing Pokemon Go. AT THE GYM! WHILE EXERCISING! Thats going too far my man. My sister totally plays a worm/snake game like that, but I think its called something else. Same premise though!
Im so excited to get away from social media and all the things it requires this weekend. Off to get my camping on! 😉
Meagan @ My Life as Mrs
I’ve tried different methods of washing my hair, but my hair is just wayyy too oily. I have to wash my roots because nothing else gets rid of the oil build up and if I use only conditioner it makes it worse. I still haven’t found the perfect method but I don’t think this way really works for me. And I have pretty curly hair.
Meagan @ My Life as Mrs
By the way, have you tried out Agar.io?
Laura @ This Runner's Recipes
I agree with social media being overwhelming! I can’t even keep up with the newer ones like Snapchat. As an introvert I find social media somehow even more draining than person to person conversations.
Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday
I’m officially on the lookout for that nail polish since it doesn’t totally destroy your nails! Target let me down and didn’t have it 😛 So I just bought 29358 things because it was Target…
Julie @ Running in a Skirt
I do feel like I’ve been back in the 90’s lately!!
I’m going to have to try that polish! Good to know it still lasts a while.
And I might have to try the no poo experiment– you’ve been very convincing!
GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
I haven’t downloaded pokemon either but I do see tonnes of people wondering around playing it. Maybe it’s cuz I live in a university town?
Also, #5 is so me. I’m forever escaping from IG because it drainssss me. Who knew that social networking could be as exhausting as actually talking to people? #introvertlife
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood
Girl, you SPEAK to me when you say you abandon social media once it overwhelms you. Basically my life story, A bad habit to have when you’re a blogger, right? ha!
Amanda @ Real Life Recovery Diary
You’ve definitely re-inspired me to try the no ‘poo thing. As someone with naturally dry hair, I think it would be a great solution! And I can NOT seem to understand the Pokemon Go thing either. To each their own! 🙂
Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
It’s hard keeping up with social media which is why I do only one or two. You could social media full time though if that was your thing. Crazy!
Yay for both wiaw and favorites. I’m a wiaw fan myself but do love a good favorites post.
I’m sad to say that I do play pokemon and I see everyyyyone playing here in Montreal. It’s like a craze!!!
I can totally relate, Instagram is definitely the most overwhelming social media.
Have a great weekend!
I refuse to get into the Pokemon thing too. I think it would take over my life and I don’t have time for that right now!
I’ve been loving your instagram posts this week! I keep reading all of your recipes and am excited to try a few once I get back from vacation!
I don’t care for Pokemon. I think it’s a great people are being more active but there have already been so many user errors, accidents and just idiotic events that have happened because of it. It surprises me that Favorites won out too actually.
Susie @ SuzLyfe
I never understood pokemon either, so it is pretty easy for me to abstain from getting involved. Also, the last thing I need is something else to keep track of! I’m having enough trouble with my own life, thank you ;D. And that is great tohear that the Essie polish came off so easily. The time that I got gels /no chip done in a salon, my nails were destroyed.
I’m pretty much the same way with IG & twitter . . .
My biggest problem with doing my nails is finding a nail polish remover that doesn’t wreck my nails. I usually can’t grow my nails for months afterwards because they’re so brittle! I’ve got a new one to try, but haven’t had the time lately.
Michele @ paleorunningmomma
I might have to try the co-washing thing. My hair is ridiculously curly and frizzy this summer and it might be exactly what it needs!
meredith @ cookie chrunicles
I can’t stand seeing my nail bed growth either, ruins the polish look! my nails don’t chip that much but I still need them done every week to 10 days because they grow so crazy fast that the base always looks messed up lol