Happy #thinkingoutloud Thursday! No idea what I’m going on about? Click here!
1. Can we please talk about the matcha craze that’s been sweeping the web lately? Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like I’ve been seeing it everywhere lately. Or maybe I’ve just been noticing it a lot more since I’ve never tried it and have serious FOMO as a result. What do you think? Do I need to give it a shot? Is it all it’s hyped up to be? Let me know!
2. What I have been using is kind of like matcha only without the “t” and “h” 😂 Lately I’ve really fallen into the habit of including a small spoonful of maca powder in my smoothies every other day, mostly because I found a baggie of it in my pantry and I don’t want it to go to waste. Maca is an adaptogen that’s supposed to help the body adapt to stress, as well as balance hormones, increase energy and stamina, improve mental clarity, and a whole host of other benefits. Sounds pretty awesome, eh? I don’t think I’ve been taking it regularly for long enough to really say much about it, but I definitely notice the improved energy bit. And because it’s a bit more of a potent superfood, you might want to talk to your doctor prior to using it if you’re dealing with any kind of hormonal issues, on any medications, or pregnant/breastfeeding.
3. Speaking of potency… maca also boasts a pretty strong taste that not everyone is going to love. It’s…uhm… earthy, nutty, and kind of what I imagine chewing on burnt tree bark would taste like. Yup. Burnt tree bark. You know that smokey smell that hangs in the air when trees burn? Take that and inject it into a powder, and you have maca. It’s bitter and kind of ashy, and the only way I’ve been able to tolerate it is to cover the taste with cocoa. That seems to completely mask it, and you’re left feeling like you’re drinking a dark chocolate smoothie. I’ll take it!
4. And while we’re on the topic of chocolate smoothies… I’ve been drinking one for lunch every day for about a week now, along with an almond butter and jelly sandwich on the side. What can I say? I’m a big kid at heart. That and I picked up this new jam that I’m kind of obsessed with. I’m normally a blueberry jam kind of girl, but this raspberry one from St. Dalfour is to.die.for.
5. Also! I finally got around to trying out that Costco brand almond butter that I told you guys about, and I give it two thumbs way up 👍🏻👍🏻 It’s got a nice and drippy texture with a roasted almond taste, and I love that the only ingredient on the label is “roasted almonds.” No oils, salts, or sugars in this guy; and you seriously can’t beat that price tag.
6. I feel like I’m constantly moving from one “kill it on repeat” song obsession to another, and right now it’s this remix of “Faded” by Alan Walker. The original is pretty awesome too if you want to give that a listen.
7. What else, what else, what else… OH! Have you guys seen the new teaser trailer for Beauty and the Beast? They barely show us anything good, but the song gives me the feels so bad! I was 6 years old when BatB originally came out, and it’s always been one of my favourite Disney movies.
8. So I’ve been munching on a bar of chocolate while writing this post and I’m pretty sure I just ate some of the foil wrapper in the process. Oops? And that, my friends, is the real danger of eating with distractions 😂
9. Very important question time! What are your guys’ opinions on nutritional info being included in recipes? I ask because, while I don’t care much for it personally, I know it’s important to a lot of people, and it’s probably the most common question I get asked regarding my recipes. I don’t like to encourage people to count calories or macros, but at the same time I realize that it’s what a lot of people do, and that not providing nutritional info isn’t going to encourage them to stop counting, but to move on to a recipe that has it. Then there’s the whole issue of people not caring so much about the calories, but about things like sugar and carbs (for those dealing with diabetes, for example). If I did end up adding it in, I’d probably put it on a separate page so that those interested could click over, and those not interested wouldn’t have to see it. Right now I’m leaning more towards adding it in, but I’d love to hear your guys’ take on it!
No questions! Just tell me whatever randomness comes to mind!
More places to find me!