Sweet, salty, chewy, and crisp, these no-bake trail mix bites are sure to satisfy any craving! Gluten-free, nut-free, and vegan, they’re a healthy snack that anyone can enjoy!
Hi snack addicts. This one’s for you.
No bake sweet & salty trail mix bites that are guaranteed to satisfy and kick cravings in the teeth, thereby taking away the [sometimes agonizing] process of having to rifle through kitchen cupboards asking yourself “what do I feel like eating?”
Want something sweet? These have it.
Something salty? These have it.
Crispy? Uh huh.
Healthy? You betcha!
No matter what you want, these bites can provide.
They’ve got oats, crispy rice cereal, pretzels, honey, raisins, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, chocolate… they’re basically a bag of trail mix in a chewy, sweet & salty bite that’s covered in chocolate…
And if you’re one of those people who like to pick the good parts out of trail mix and leave the rest?… I’m sorry. That won’t work so well with these bites, but all the flavours and textures work so well together that you’d be kind of crazy to get all picky choosy with them.
No offence. I love you.
And I love these bites.
I made these gluten-free (as long as you use gluten-free pretzels*), nut-free, and vegan so that everyone can enjoy them, but feel free to customize them based on your personal preferences and needs. Don’t have brown rice syrup* on hand? Honey works just fine. Don’t like the taste of sunflower seed butter*? Sub in your favourite nut or seed butter. I like to keep these nut-free to make them safe to take to school, but again… it all depends on what you need. Hope you love ’em as much as I do!
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
- 1/2 cup (160 g) brown rice syrup*
- 2 Tbsp (32 g) sunflower seed butter**
- 1 Tbsp (14 g) coconut oil
- 3/4 cup (60 g) old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (15 g) crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup (17 g) pretzels, crushed***
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (80 g) dried fruit (I used raisins and cranberries)
- 1/2 cup (70 g) pumpkin seeds***
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chocolate chips, for melting
- Add the brown rice syrup, sunflower seed butter, and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl and nuke on high until the ingredients are fully melted and combined, about 1 minute. Remove from the microwave and allow the mix to cool and thicken for about 5 minutes. Alternatively, you could heat them over the stove on medium-low heat.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stirring until evenly distributed. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until they’re fully incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge to chill for about an hour. This is to make it easier to shape the mix into balls, otherwise it’s slightly too sticky and loose.
- Using a heaping tablespoon, roll the mix between your hands to form individual balls. Set them aside on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and repeat with the remaining mix
- To prepare the chocolate coating, melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a double broiler, stirring periodically to ensure no clumps remain. Drop each ball into the melted chocolate, and use a spoon to roll it around and make sure it’s fully coated. Remove and place back onto the parchment-lined baking sheet, repeating until all the bites have been coated.
- Refrigerate the bites for ~15 minutes, or until the chocolate has set. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks..
* You can also use honey if you don’t need these to be vegan. ** Feel free to sub these with another type of seed or nut if you don’t need them to be nut-free. *** Make sure to use certified gluten-free pretzels if you need these to be gluten-free.
Keywords: bites, gluten-free, healthy, no bake, recipe, snack, sweet & salty, trail mix, vegan
Looking for more no bake snack recipes? Try one of these!
*Disclosure: Some of the links included in this post may be affiliate links, meaning I’ll earn a small commission if you purchase through them, at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use and believe will add value to my readers. Thank you so much for helping support Spoons!