- 1/2 cup (160 g) brown rice syrup*
- 2 Tbsp (32 g) sunflower seed butter**
- 1 Tbsp (14 g) coconut oil
- 3/4 cup (60 g) old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (15 g) crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup (17 g) pretzels, crushed***
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (80 g) dried fruit (I used raisins and cranberries)
- 1/2 cup (70 g) pumpkin seeds***
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chocolate chips, for melting
- Add the brown rice syrup, sunflower seed butter, and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl and nuke on high until the ingredients are fully melted and combined, about 1 minute. Remove from the microwave and allow the mix to cool and thicken for about 5 minutes. Alternatively, you could heat them over the stove on medium-low heat.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stirring until evenly distributed. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until they’re fully incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge to chill for about an hour. This is to make it easier to shape the mix into balls, otherwise it’s slightly too sticky and loose.
- Using a heaping tablespoon, roll the mix between your hands to form individual balls. Set them aside on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and repeat with the remaining mix
- To prepare the chocolate coating, melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a double broiler, stirring periodically to ensure no clumps remain. Drop each ball into the melted chocolate, and use a spoon to roll it around and make sure it’s fully coated. Remove and place back onto the parchment-lined baking sheet, repeating until all the bites have been coated.
- Refrigerate the bites for ~15 minutes, or until the chocolate has set. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks..
* You can also use honey if you don’t need these to be vegan. ** Feel free to sub these with another type of seed or nut if you don’t need them to be nut-free. *** Make sure to use certified gluten-free pretzels if you need these to be gluten-free.
Keywords: bites, gluten-free, healthy, no bake, recipe, snack, sweet & salty, trail mix, vegan