Bananas, nuts, and a double dose of chocolate! This healthy chocolate chunky monkey breakfast bake combines the light and fluffy texture of a muffin with the hearty staying power of baked oatmeal. It’s vegan, easily made gluten-free, and absolutely perfect for anyone who loves eating dessert for breakfast!
Is chocolate chunky monkey a thing?
Because I know chocolate is technically part of the whole chunky monkey trifecta (bananas, chocolate, & nuts), but what if you put in double the chocolate? Does that make it chocolate chunky monkey?
Google wasn’t overly helpful on this one, so I made an executive decision – chocolate chunky monkey is indeed a thing, and a pretty fabulous one if this chocolate chunky monkey breakfast bake is any indication.
If you aren’t familiar with breakfast bakes, then you need to reevaluate your life choices! Or at least the ones that pertain to breakfast… because these bakes will rock.your.socks right off.
They’re similar to baked oats in so far as they involve oats and baking and a nutritious breakfast, but the texture is a little lighter and fluffier thanks to a couple spoonfuls of flour – almost like that of a muffin.
A single-serve, slightly chewier and flatter muffin that’s almost as big as your face… but a muffin nonetheless.
Speaking of muffins as big as your face… did anyone else go through a muffins-for-breakfast phase? I’m not sure if mine came before or after my Eggo and Poptart phase, but I do remember my parents buying these trays of huge chocolate chip muffins that literally were as big as my face. And I remember throwing them in the freezer and eating them when they were still mostly frozen because apparently I’ve always had an obsession with cold food (??).
But that’s neither here nor there. The point I was trying to make is that I tend to go through breakfast phases; and while I’ll deviate from it every now and then, I’ve been in an oatmeal phase for a good handful of years now.
I don’t know what it is, but oats are just one of my favourite [healthy] comfort foods and I never seem to get sick of them. Then again, how do you get sick of something like this?!…
This chocolate chunky monkey breakfast bake is my most recent oatmeal obsession, and it might become yours too if you give it a chance.
It’s based off my chunky monkey breakfast bake, buuuuuuut with an extra dose of chocolate because… chocolate. The result is a healthy bowl-sized double chocolate chip banana muffin topped with some killer banana nut sauce. Seriously, this sauce is life. You’ll totally feel like you’re eating dessert for breakfast… and who doesn’t love that?!
I’d love to know if you make this recipe! Leave a comment and rating down below to let me know what you think, and subscribe to our mailing list to receive new recipes in your inbox!Print
For the bake:
- 1/3 cup (30g) rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp (15 g) flour of choice*
- 1 Tbsp (5 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 medium, ripe banana (50 g or 1/4 cup mashed)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 Tbsp (8 ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla flavour
- 1/2 – 1 Tbsp (8–15 g) mini vegan chocolate chips
For the sauce:
- 1 Tbsp (16 g) nut butter**
- other half of the banana
- small splash of almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and lightly spray an individual sized (~16oz./500 ml) ramekin with cooking spray or grease it with cooking oil. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the oats, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, roughly mash the banana (some chunks are okay) before adding in the almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla, mixing until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until fully incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the dough to your greased ramekin and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the centre has set and the bake has reached your desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by mashing the other half of the banana in the same small bowl you used before before and adding a spoonful of nut butter. Mix until smooth, adding a splash of almond milk to reach your desired consistency. Pour over the bake once it comes out of the oven and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
* I usually use an all-purpose or whole wheat, but this recipe works fine with most flours, including gluten-free and grain-free ones. ** I used a natural almond butter, but feel free to use whichever nut or seed butter is your favourite.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Keywords: banana, breakfast, breakfast bake, chocolate, chunky monkey, gluten-free, healthy, nuts, oats, recipe, vegan
Looking for more healthy breakfast bake recipes? Try one of these!