Happy #thinkingoutloud Thursday! No idea what I’m going on about? Click here!
1. Hellooooooo seasonal allergies! It’s not fair. I managed to get through spring and summer pretty much allergy-free, only to get hit with itchy eyes and a runny nose during my favourite season. And when I say itchy eyes, I mean I developed some sort of weird rash under my eyes and on my eyelids that breaks out a few times a day and leaves the skin all tender and red. I was kind of freaking out about it for a while there, because – hi, I’m kind of vain – but it seems to have cleared up now that I’ve stopped going outside. Thank you, whatever has decided to go airborne around this time of the year. I appreciate you.
2. Actually, from my limited Googling, I’ve read that it might be caused by ragweed? And that people who are allergic to ragweed might also get symptoms from certain fruits and veggies… likes bananas?!?! [source]. I’m not okay with this!! Granted, I might not eat as many bananas as I used to, but I wouldn’t be able to give up that banana n’ice cream in my morning oats. Nope, nope. Won’t do it…. Not unless it goes after my eyes. Then I might be a little more open to abstinence.
3. Speaking of bananas! The hands-down, 100% best bananas to use for banana n’ice cream are starchier kind that don’t have any brown spots on them yet. So… not 100% ripe, but a nice yellow with maaaaaybe some green at the tips. Those are the kind that will give you a really light and fluffy whipped banana n’ice cream vs. the spotty ones that’ll give you a heavier and wetter one. Does that make sense? Try it out! The ripeness of the bananas really makes a huge difference in the texture. And if they’re not 100% sweet enough? Add a touch of sweetener or some protein powder. Delish.
4. I just realized that my last two ToLs have had a lot of apple and banana talk. Sorry. Priorities.
5. Apples! So remember how I low-key hint, hint, nudge, nudged my mom to make her apple cake in my last post? I’m not even 100% sure that she reads anymore (hi Mom?), but it doesn’t seem to matter. She must have picked up on the vibes I was putting out there, because she whipped one up for Thanksgiving that I got to enjoy on Sunday. And Monday. And Tuesday. And then it ran out. It had nothing to do with the fact that she had a tonne of apples that needed to be used up. Nope. Just gotta put those vibes out into the universe. That’s how it works, right?
6. Thanksgiving was good, though! Good company, good food, and the first kabocha I’ve eaten in probably… a year? I used to love this stuff and eat it year-round, so I’m not exactly sure why it vanished from my life. I will say that cold, leftover, roasted veggies are one of my favourite things in life, though. Squash, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, potatoes, broccoli. Give.it.to.me.
7. And can we please talk about how perfect this little pumpkin looks? Squiggly stem or bust.
8. Look! I ended on an even number this week! Aaaaand it just feels strange 😆 Happy Thursday, friendly faces!
No questions! Just tell me whatever randomness comes to mind!
More places to find me!