A crispy nutty filling stuffed into a sweet and gooey shell — these Rice Krispie Stuffed Dates are a perfect way to satisfy that sweet tooth!
Guess who’s back?! 😀 Actually, I’ve been back since Sunday evening, but it always takes me a day or two to get back into the swing of things after travelling, hence the very-much-appreciated blog break yesterday.
Blend was pretty darn amazing. I need a little more time to process the whole experience before I try to write a recap, so I thought I’d distract you with a tasty snack recipe in the meantime.
Stuffed dates — have you ever tried them? How about Rice Krispie Stuffed Dates? Drizzled in chocolate, naturally…
I know I just posted a Rice Krispie recipe not too long ago, but I’m going through a bit of a phase right now and you’re going to have to see me through it. Actually, this’ll probably be the last one you see for a while — I exhausted my current supply and I’m not letting myself buy any more for a little while. Variety is the spice of life, right? Right.
Actually, I’m kind of surprised that I didn’t come back with a few boxes of cereal in my suitcase after hitting up the Whole Foods in Park City this weekend, but I held back because I was a little worried that I’d run out of space. Good thing, too — the swag at Blend was insane and I ended up having to leave a good chunk of it behind anyway. But more on that in the recap. For now, back to those stuffed dates…
Dates have got to be one of my favourite foods. Not only are they delicious [and nutritious], but they’re also incredibly versatile. Dip em, blend em, stuff em, puree em — they’re good for whatever you need, especially if you need a healthy way to satisfy a sweet tooth.
And if you’re a texture freak like I am, then this snack is the epitome of perfection. It’s creamy; it’s crispy; it’s chewy; it’s gooey… and that’s saying nothing about the sweet, nutty, chocolatey goodness that hits your tastebuds with every bite…
I know stuffed dates aren’t exactly anything new, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never come across Rise Krispie stuffed dates before. I’m also pretty sure that there are people out there who’ve never bothered stuffing a date before… because I was one of those people prior to making this recipe. I never saw the point in taking those extra steps, so I’d just dip my dates in almond butter or eat them alongside a few squares of dark chocolate. But holy cow does the stuffing make a difference. Texture and taste perfection. But don’t take my word for it — give it a try!
- 12 Medjool dates
- 2 Tbsp. of your favourite nut/seed butter
- 1/3 cup crispy rice cereal
- 2 Tbsp. chocolate chips/chunks
- Remove pits from dates by using a paring knife to slice them across the top lengthwise and gently spreading the upper half apart until you can pry out the pit with your fingers. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the nut butter and cereal, mixing until well combined. If you're having trouble getting the nut butter to spread, warm it up in the microwave for 20 seconds until it begins to melt.
- Stuff each date cavity with approximately 1 heaping teaspoon of the crispy rice mixture, making sure to pack it in tightly. Set the finished dates on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke on high in 20 second intervals until chocolate is fully melted, making sure to stir between each interval to prevent the burning.
- Using a spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over the stuffed dates. Place them in the fridge for approximately 15 minutes until the chocolate has set.
What’s your favourite way to eat dates?
AND!… is there anything specific you want me to make sure to include in my Blend recap?