. WIAW … this AND that, take 2 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on February 19, 2014

Some foods just taste better when they’re together. Almond butter and honey. Macaroni and cheese. Chocolate and… well… everything ;) I’ve done a few posts where I’ve talked about some of my favourite foodie combos, but seeing as the last one was waaaaaay back in November, I figure it’s time for another. So for today’s What I Ate Wednesday, I give you this AND that… take 2.

WIAW

Breakfast… [ oatmeal AND yogurt ]

Oats and Yogurt

If you’ve never stirred a couple spoonfuls of yogurt into cooked oats before, you need to get on that. Seriously. Do it right now. I’ll wait. What’s that you say? You’re not hungry? You’re not at home? Pft… fiiiiiiine… you can just listen to me ramble on about how much I love this combo instead. I’m not a huge fan of using yogurt in things like overnight oats, but cooked oats are a whole other story. I actually can’t even remember the last time I had oats without yogurt — I live for the creamy tanginess. Throw some ground flax, cinnamon, and almond butter on top, and I’m a happy camper.

Morning snack… [ dates AND almond butter ]

Dates and AB

So simple, so good — nature sure does know her candy. This obsession is actually getting a little out of hand… I can literally polish off an entire bag of dried fruit in a day if I’m not careful… and we’re not even going to talk about the amount of almond butter that accompanies that. The supply I brought back from my trip to Cali? It’s now short two jars. Ahem. :shock:

Lunch… [ sweet AND salty

Sweet and Salty Snack Plate

Still snack plating, still loving it. I tend to vary what I toss on them from day to day (this one has: Dr. Kracker crispbread, deli chicken, kabocha, carrots, cherry tomatoes, almonds & raisins, and cottage cheese & jam), but one thing remains constant — there’s always something sweet, and there’s always something salty. I’m a huge fan of the combo in general, but I find that I always need to have a little something sweet with my lunch or I just don’t feel satisfied.

Afternoon snack… [ coffee AND chocolate ]

Chocolate Protein Smoothie

I realize this looks nothing like a typical cup of coffee with a side of chocolate, but if you caught the thick and creamy chocolate smoothie recipe I posted yesterday, you may have noticed that I sometimes toss a teaspoon of instant coffee granules into the mix. Not only does the coffee enhance the chocolate flavour, but it adds a nice little caffeine boost on the days when I feel myself dragging in the afternoon.

Dinner… [ noodles AND stir fry ]

Noodles and Stir Fry

I’d normally say noodles AND butter AND parmesan cheese (favourite combo since I was a kid), but these are leftovers from Sunday’s family dinner, and apparently my parents don’t think that eating plain buttered noodles is an acceptable meal. Pfffft. Whatever. Mom still makes a mean stir fry.

Evening snack… [ cereal AND milk ]

Cereal and Milk

Unlike last week’s crazy late night soup snack (yeah I have no idea either), this week’s evening snack is a lot more Amanda-ish. Cereal and milk. I normally get all fancy with my cereal bowls and toss in things like yogurt, fruit, and nut butter, but I just wanted something simple last night, so I went with plain old milk… aaaaand 3 different cereals (Raisin Bran, cinnamon Puffins, Kashi Cinnamon Harvest) because I’m apparently incapable of keeping things that simple. I always forget how good cereal with milk is — have to write myself a sticky note to remember.

And that’s it for me today, friends! I’ll see you guys tomorrow for Thinking Out Loud! :D

Signature

Your turn!!

a) Oatmeal AND _____.
b) Dates AND _____.
c) Coffee AND _____.
d) Noodles AND _____.
e) Cereal AND _____.

f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?)

More places to find me!
E-mail — runwithspoons@hotmail.com
Twitter — runwithspoons
Facebook — runningwithspoons
Pinterest — runwithspoons
Instagram — runwithspoons
Bloglovin — runningwithspoons

1 Liz @ I Heart Vegetables February 19, 2014 at 5:45 am

Sweet and salty is my favorite combo!!! I’ll have to try dates + almond butter :) Happy WIAW, Amanda!
Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted..Southwestern Hash Brown WrapsMy Profile

2 Jo @ Living Mint Green February 19, 2014 at 5:49 am

Oh man, almond butter + dates (or dried fig) is seriously amazing. Like, how can something so simple be incredibly mind blowing? I was craving oatmeal last night – I thought of you. I’m going to be living out of a hotel room for a month & I predict a LOT of oatmeal & yogurt will be consumed during this time.

a) Oatmeal AND cinnamon
b) Dates AND Maranatha raw almond butter
c) Coffee AND toast with PB or butter. Or a muffin. I always need something grainy with coffee
d) Noodles AND homemade bolognese sauce
e) Cereal AND my hand + face. Just give me that whole damn box.
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) CRUNCHY! But, when I was a kid I liked it soggy – esp Mini Wheats
Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted..I Have A FriendMy Profile

3 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 7:41 am

Bonus points if you use the in-room coffee maker to make your oats and store your yogurt in the ice bucket ;)

4 Jen @ SavedbytheKale February 19, 2014 at 5:51 am

I recently just discovered the awesomeness of dates! Not really sure how I have gone this long without them. I definitely like my cereal crunchy!
Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted..Valentine’s Recap + The Best AlfredoMy Profile

5 Caitlyn@BareBalance February 19, 2014 at 5:54 am

a) Oatmeal AND coconut.
b) Dates AND [I agree] almond or almond butter
c) Coffee AND air.
d) Noodles AND …I hate noodles.
e) Cereal AND yogurt.
f) crunchyyyy.

I love your snack plates; they look AMAZING :)
Caitlyn@BareBalance recently posted..02.19.2014.. wiaw.. cuckcoo for coconut combosMy Profile

6 Eating 4 Balance February 19, 2014 at 5:59 am

a) Oatmeal AND frozen raspberries.
b) Dates AND almond butter… Good call on that one ;)
c) Coffee AND coconut milk.
d) Noodles AND alfredo sauce.
e) Cereal AND nut butter.
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) Crunchy!!! Nothing worse than forgetting your breakfast and coming back to a softened pile of goo.

I completely agree with the savory + sweet, except no cottage cheese for this girl. Except for in small amounts in lasagna… No.
Eating 4 Balance recently posted..Eatingforbalance.com — Update your Blog Readers!!My Profile

7 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 7:48 am

The cc isn’t the easiest on my stomach either, but gah… sometimes it’s just so hard to resist.

8 Fran@BCDC February 19, 2014 at 5:59 am

Your lunch plate looks delicious! I don’t know why I never think of cereal as a snack in the evening. I have trouble with eating the wrong things at night. This would be great. Thanks, Amanda, have a great day!
Fran@BCDC recently posted..WIAW~Food All OverMy Profile

9 Alexis @ Hummusapien February 19, 2014 at 6:07 am

Cereal in a jar!? How adorable is that! That’s totally gonna be my new thang. Loving your snack plates!
Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

10 Shannon February 19, 2014 at 6:16 am

I definitely love the sweet and salty combination = aka TRAIL MIX. But that’s dangerous, and should not be left alone with me :)
I definitely like my cereal crunchy, but will always finish it even if it’s a little soggy too!
Your coffee chocolate combination sounds killer too. Yummmmm!
Shannon recently posted..Tuesday Tastes: Sweeeeeet PotatoesMy Profile

11 Ksenija @ With An Open Mind February 19, 2014 at 6:16 am

Some delicious food combinations going on there girl! I wouldn’t mind any of these right now. Trying to finish my thesis gave me the munchies today!

a) Oatmeal AND bananas, always
b) Dates AND bacon – try before judging
c) Coffee AND creme, recently
d) Noodles AND (in) ratatouille
e) Cereal AND my fingers – in the cereal package – no need for additions
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) CRUNCHY!

My munchies might just have gotten a lot worse. thanks. :)
Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday {in France #6}My Profile

12 Juli @1000lovelthings February 19, 2014 at 6:19 am

All your pictures and combos just sound so mouthwatering!!! I could totally grab through the screen and steal you some of the loveliness :-)

For me it’s definitely
a) Oatmeal AND cinnamon
b) Dates AND Almonds
c) Coffee AND cake (cheesecake preferably) or vegan power bars
d) Noodles AND basil pesto + mozzarella
e) Cereal AND soy milk
f) soggy cereal with some crunch on top – Yes I want it all :-)

Have a lovely Wednesday
Juli @1000lovelthings recently posted..What I ate Wednesday #30 – Embracing the VeggiesMy Profile

13 Alexis @ funrunning4life February 19, 2014 at 6:21 am

Definitely an oatmeal and banana girl. Cereal and milk will always have the most special place in my heart, of course. There’s just nothing like it. When I was younger, I used to pretend that I was a cereal inventor and mix a whole bunch of different cereals together. Still one of my favorite pastimes :)
Alexis @ funrunning4life recently posted..Aches and PainsMy Profile

14 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 7:55 am

Dream job, right there. Did you come up with any killer combos I should know about? :D

15 Katy February 19, 2014 at 6:25 am

Got to love that sweet and salty combo!!!
Katy recently posted..WIAW: 2/19/2014My Profile

16 Mayra February 19, 2014 at 6:27 am

Amandaaaaa that snack plate looks so so so good awesome marvelous and I’m starring at it and I wanna do bad things with it! hahahaha
Joking, but no, really, I want it!

Here we go

a) Oatmeal AND bananaandcinnamon :D
b) Dates AND not me. I don´t like dates…
c) Coffee AND almond milk! Iced!
d) Noodles AND my italian grandma’s italian tomato sauce!
e) Cereal AND yogurt!
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) crrrrrrrrunchy <3
Mayra recently posted..Titanium (Acoustic Cover) – Mayra Capelasso & Lucas CapelassoMy Profile

17 Tatum @ eats from the oil patch blog February 19, 2014 at 6:27 am

Oats and egg whites
Dates and coconut butter
Coffee and more. Coffee :)
Noodles ands butter and Parmesan!!!
Cereal ON smoothie

Cereal must be crunchy for me… Ps bought cinnamon harvest as per your suggestion… Wow!!!
Tatum @ eats from the oil patch blog recently posted..{Vegan} Chewy Chocolate Chunk Snack BarsMy Profile

18 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 8:00 am

Buttered noodles and parm? A girl after my own heart <3 And riiiiight?! That cereal is freaking epic, and it’s even better if you mix it with some others (like Puffins). Also… did you register for Blend?!?

19 Tatum February 19, 2014 at 8:02 am

I sure did!!!! Maybe we can try and link up on th same flight :)
Tatum recently posted..{Vegan} Chewy Chocolate Chunk Snack BarsMy Profile

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 8:13 am

That would be #winning. I’ll hit you up with an e-mail when I figure out what the heck I’ll be doing.

21 Tatum @ eats from the oil patch blog February 19, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Perfect :)

22 Alex @ therunwithin February 19, 2014 at 6:27 am

all about sweet and salty lately, can’t get enough of it. let’s see…
Oatmeal AND _____. I have never had oatmeal so can’t answer this…
b) Dates AND _____. I have actually never had a date either.. major fail over here
c) Coffee AND _____. nunaturals, the only way I take it.
d) Noodles AND _____. this just makes me think of the restaurant chain noodles & co.
e) Cereal AND _____. unsweetened almond milk my favorite and DUH it needs to get soggy before I eat it
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?)
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Spill it: Shuffle EditionMy Profile

23 Kim@hungryhealthygirl February 19, 2014 at 6:28 am

Love yogurt mixed into hot oats! And I just recently tried cottage cheese….It was delicious!

24 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles February 19, 2014 at 6:31 am

We are way too alike – I said the same thing this morning about not digging the overnight oats vs. the cooked with yogurt. Too funny. I like my oats with yogurt best cold but warm is lovely as well. Different taste and texture depending upon the temperature of it.
meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..WIAW- Don’t Let Me Down And Red Mango At HomeMy Profile

25 Mary Frances February 19, 2014 at 6:32 am

I love stirring yogurt into my cold overnight oats, but I haven’t tried it with hot oats. Looks really good! And cottage cheese is the best. Your noodle stir fry has my tummy a rumblin’ – and it is only 8:30!
Mary Frances recently posted..Double Chocolate Pudding BrowniesMy Profile

26 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 19, 2014 at 6:39 am

a) Oatmeal AND Peanut Butter.
b) Dates AND Peanut Butter.
c) Coffee AND Chocolate.
d) Noodles AND Tomato Sauce.
e) Cereal AND Almond Milk
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) Definitely crunchy!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #33 – Chocolate Mocha Protein SmoothieMy Profile

27 Susie February 19, 2014 at 6:41 am

DEFINITELY sweet and salty. Also, soft AND crunchy (I’m a huggggge texture person).
And I have to say, cereal AND ice cream, oatmeal AND blueberries, coffee AND everything :D, yogurt AND freeze dried berries.
Cottage cheese AND cocoa!
Susie recently posted..#WIAW Sushi, Seafood, Sweet Potato. SUZLYFE FOR THE WINMy Profile

28 Erin @ The Almond Eater February 19, 2014 at 6:43 am

Ohh dates and AB huh? Since I’ve never had a date maybe I’ll try figs and AB? Also–tried your choc smoothie last night and Miguel and I both approve :) I’d say coffee and ice (does that count?) and cereal crunchy for sure!
Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted..WIAW 2/19/14My Profile

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 8:18 am

Figs and AB is AMAZING! Especially since the seeds give such a lovely crunch. Gah! Now I need to get my butt to the store and go pick up some more.

30 Miss Polkadot February 19, 2014 at 6:55 am

a) Oatmeal/oat bran AND wheat bran [and several other add-ins]: I can’t seem to use oatmeal only [or in my case more often: oat bran] when cooking it stove-top but have experimented and found my -perfect- mix of grains several years ago.
b) Dates AND almond butter. BUT not stuffed into the dates – blended into a caramel-y spread. By the spoonful. Okay, now I sparked a craving. I wonder if there are some dates hidden in the pantry …?
c) Tea [because I don't drink coffee] AND chocolate.
d) Noodles AND soup. Given the fact that I’ve been having Chickpea Noodle Soup today and various kinds of soups with noodles added in the past days it’s become a new favourite combination.
e) Cereal AND … cereal.
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) Preferably a mix of both textures. As in: adding more crunchy cereal on top of the soggy. A mix of textures – perfect.

Happy Wednesday!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Filling the food memory blankMy Profile

31 Hedda February 19, 2014 at 7:05 am

Food combinations ^_^ Makes life (even) more delicious and interesting.

Oatmeal and . . . Yoghurt, dried fruit and lots and lots of nut butter. Almond butter is the favorite.

Dates and . . . Almond butter ;-) You know my heart, Amanda. It beats for AB.

Coffe and . . . Chocolate or cookies. Chocolate cookies?

Noodles and . . . Either beef or tofu, veggies and nuts. And a hearty dash of oil.

Cereal and . . . Yoghurt, dried fruits and nut butter. Hah! Same as oatmeal ;-) Can’t go wrong with that combination.

Crunchy or soggy? I’m not hard to please, so I have no preference. I love and embrace cereal.

Warm hugs your way, dear :-)

32 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 8:22 am

Your heart beating for AB makes my heart super happy <3 Tonnes of love, lovely lady!

33 Lisa C. February 19, 2014 at 7:08 am

a) Oatmeal AND _____. *chocolate!! (of course!)
b) Dates AND _____. *nut butter (you nailed that one)
c) Coffee AND _____. *cinnamon
d) Noodles AND _____. *vegan cheese sauce, mmmm
e) Cereal AND _____. *fruit + soymilk
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) definitely crunchy; soggy—eeeew!

34 Tina Muir February 19, 2014 at 7:09 am

Can I just have your food every day? That sounds like a wonderful day of food! I think I would need some more snacks to maintain my training, but otherwise it looks great! I have never tried yogurt in hot oatmeal, but I could see how it would make it so creamy. I use it in overnight oats a lot though :)

I love all your combinations there! I am hearing a lot about the dates and almond butter….time to give it a try!
Tina Muir recently posted..Sweet Potato Stir FryMy Profile

35 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 19, 2014 at 7:10 am

Well, I already ate breakfast…so I may just have to stir some yogurt into my oats tomorrow ;-)
a) Oatmeal AND Eggs. Always one of my favourite breakfast combos.
b) Dates AND ummm….more dates? I think I usually end up eating them by themselves. Apparently, I should change that.
c) Coffee AND ice cream. AKA: pretty much the only way I’m getting coffee ;-)
d) Noodles AND marinara. If you asked me that when I was 10, I would have given the same answer as you ;-) But apparently, pasta with tomato-based sauces has grown on me.
e) Cereal AND yogurt. I didn’t have any cereal for my yogurt bowl yesterday, which made me sad.
f) CRUNCHY! I usually end up munching on dry cereal because I hate it when it goes soggy. (P.S. the cereal talk has given me a mini wheats craving…)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIA(OOT)W.My Profile

36 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 8:27 am

NEVER tried dates with a nut butter?! :shock: Expect me to pester you through texts all day long until you break down and do it just to shut me up :P

37 Morganne @ NutButterRunner February 19, 2014 at 7:11 am

YES! Oatmeal + yogurt is the best! So filling. And with a spoonful of almond butter? Hello, fullness for hours upon hoursssss!
Of course…I can’t have that right now (the Whole 30 thing) so I will stick to my eggs + plantains. Oh and can we add Kabocha + almond butter to that list too?? YUM. (And with a spoonful of coconut butter..holy cannoli).
Happy Wednesday, friend!
Morganne @ NutButterRunner recently posted..All Smiles Edition: WIAWMy Profile

38 Sarah February 19, 2014 at 7:14 am

I’m a big fan of combo foods. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I ate a single food item on it’s own. Fruit just begs for nut butter or yogurt, cereal needs milk and toppings, most savory dishes want avocado… and so on
oatmeal and banana
dates and yogurt (but I have feeling this would change once I try the almond butter combo)
coffee and … can you believe as a native of Seattle I dislike coffee? (drops head in shame)
noodles and a simple fresh tomato sauce
cereal and milk
I’m middle of the road, prefer my cereal neither crunchy nor soggy. Sort of like Goldilocks, “just right!” Except for shredded wheat, soggy all the way!

39 Kat February 19, 2014 at 7:15 am

sweet and salty is such a perfect combo!! I had pretzels and chocolate almond butter the other night for a quick snack and it was the bomb.com. And I don’t think Ive ever put yogurt into COOKED oats before. Maybe I’m worried it will make them less hot or something? I prefer my oats nice and toasty…unless they are overnight oats….then Im good with them cold lol I do however love love love me some crunch which is why I put as little milk in my cereal as possible. I hate when it gets soggy!
Kat recently posted..WIAW – chocolate everythingMy Profile

40 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 8:38 am

But you live in Cali! I would think you’d WANT cooler oats in the crazy heat! They do cool down a little, but I prefer them that way ’cause they get a little thicker and gooey-er in the process.

41 Davida @ The Healthy Maven February 19, 2014 at 7:17 am

Love that we discussed so many of these yesterday! Okay here goes (though I’m sure you could probably guess my answers if you tried)

a) Oatmeal AND almond butter (the overnight oats this morning were loaded in it!)
b) Dates AND a food processor + nuts = balls
c) Coffee AND my sanity
d) Noodles AND truffle oil (last night’s dinner)
e) Cereal AND a massive bowl and milk post exams a la Forgetting Sarah Marshall (these days swap in granola which I announced to Curt was banned and he’s displeased)
f) Depends. Boring cereal I like warm milk and to mash it into a mix and fun cereals aka fruit loops I like cold and crunchy!
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..Feel Your Fears.My Profile

42 Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food February 19, 2014 at 7:18 am

Ooh, I’ll play!
a) Oatmeal AND Nothing…I don’t really eat oatmeal more than once or twice a year
b) Dates AND ummm, same- nothing. I’m not doing very well at this.
c) Coffee AND peppermint creamer! And a croissant
d) Noodles AND everything. But preferably turkey meatballs and marinara. My fave.
e) Cereal AND almond milk and fruit and chia seeds. I make a giant bowl out of it!
f) Cereal MUST be crunchy.
Your meals look fantastic btw!
Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted..WIAW- my life is completeMy Profile

43 Jess February 19, 2014 at 7:19 am

I’ve never tried yogurt in oats, but I think I need to give that a try soon!
Jess recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #150My Profile

44 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries February 19, 2014 at 7:21 am

I have yet to try dates with nut butter! I need to get on that!

Let’s answer your fill in the blanks…
Oatmeal AND peanut butter.
Dates AND (we’re just going to go with almond butter since I’ve never had it before!).
Coffee AND half & half.
Noodles AND veggies.
Cereal AND almond milk. I prefer cereal more soggy by the way. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Day in the Life {February ’14}My Profile

45 Andrea@pencilsandpancakes February 19, 2014 at 7:24 am

Coffee and coconut milk …. I’m addicted
Andrea@pencilsandpancakes recently posted..What I ate on Valentine’s DayMy Profile

46 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne February 19, 2014 at 7:25 am

YUM! Dates AND Justin’s Almond Butter, I have a feeling I could eat that for breakfast, lunch and dinner :) Ugh and coffee, that just goes good with chocolate, and also strawberries!
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Pilates Wednesday – AbsMy Profile

47 Jenn@ Mark My Miles! February 19, 2014 at 7:26 am

I love your pictures. they make food look so pretty!!!!
Jenn@ Mark My Miles! recently posted..An Upper and A Downer?My Profile

48 Liz S. February 19, 2014 at 7:26 am

This is fun :D

a) Oatmeal AND almond butter.
b) Dates AND raw almonds.
c) Coffee AND ice.
d) Noodles AND pesto.
e) Cereal AND milk.
f) I prefer a mix of soggy and crunchy pieces.

49 Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut February 19, 2014 at 7:30 am

Everything goes with chocolate!!

I LOVE the combination of coffee and chocolate…I made a chocolate coffee bark last year and I think I need to bring it back.

Also I love your photography. It makes me feel relaxed…if that makes sense? Something about the lighting. :) Happy Wednesday!
Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted..That Time I Freaked Out Giada + Giveaway WinnerMy Profile

50 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 9:46 am

Aww well thanks girl! Happy Wednesday to you too :)

51 Jen@Twenty-Something&Starving February 19, 2014 at 7:48 am

OOO This is fun!! Way more exciting than work this morning – though I was half tempted to put “peanut butter” as my answer to everything (which is generally applicable) here we go:

a) Oatmeal AND peanut butter (annnd bananas and chocolate chips simultaneously).
b) Dates AND almonds.
c) Coffee AND vanilla.
d) Noodles AND cheese.
e) Cereal AND milk.
f) I want crunchy cereal but I don’t want it dry so I dump on the milk and just eat it really fast. Oh well!
Jen@Twenty-Something&Starving recently posted..I Am A Snack Machine – WIAW #14My Profile

52 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 9:47 am

Noodles and nut butter — now there’s an idea :D I’m pretty sure I could eat almond butter with everything too…

53 Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com February 19, 2014 at 7:49 am

So loving your dates and nutbutter – thats a big time staple for me these days too! Your photo is making me wish I had access to some right now!

Oatmeal AND nutbutter and chocolate :)
Dates AND nutbutter
Coffee AND chocolate – oh yeah!
…and am not a hooge fan of noodles or cereal yet…
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Hummus Sauce!My Profile

54 Emma @ Life's A Runner February 19, 2014 at 8:06 am

I have been ALL about new food combos lately, but just finished my oatmeal (sans yogurt). My greatest apologies. ;)
Oatmeal AND chocolate AND peanut butter AND pumpkin. Because heaven. :)
Emma @ Life’s A Runner recently posted..Dark Chocolate Cookie Dough BitesMy Profile

55 Christine@ Apple of My Eye February 19, 2014 at 8:08 am

Mhmm I’m totally with you on the yogurt and oatmeal combo!! I tried it a while back and it adds such a great tang to your oats :D. And YES to the sweet and salt combo. Will forever have a special place in my heart <3
Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted..Fudgy Dark Chocolate Avocado CookiesMy Profile

56 Alex @ Kenzie Life February 19, 2014 at 8:08 am

Dates and almond butter are literally one of my favorite combinations. I don’t know how anyone could *not* like it! It’s the perfect pre-workout fuel too. I keep a few of those individual packs of nut butter in my gym bag and pack a few dates in the morning. After work I snack on them on my way to Pure Barre and I’m ready to go!
Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted..How to Say “No” Without Feeling Like a JerkMy Profile

57 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body February 19, 2014 at 8:10 am

I love your this and that posts. ..combos are so fun to play around with and are always a great way to get creative with old favorites. I’m not a fan of sweet and salty mixed in the same dish…but snack plates are a total different story! Oatmeal and yogurt is a sure combo for me!
Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted..Strawberries n Cream Pancakes – with cream talkMy Profile

58 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves February 19, 2014 at 8:15 am

Thanks to you, I discovered the wonderful combo of oats and yogurt! :)
a) Oatmeal AND banana. (tryin’ to make it a liiiittle different from yours)
b) I’m changing this to dried figs AND Greek yogurt.
c) Coffee AND …. I don’t like coffee…
d) Noodles AND peanut sauce. (sorry)
e) Cereal AND greek yogurt or smoothies!
f) crunchy!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: Blogger-Inspired MealsMy Profile

59 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 10:01 am

I read your post after I finished my breakfast this morning and seeing your oats totally made me crave more. Oats for lunch is highly possible today :lol:

60 Ms.J February 19, 2014 at 8:36 am

Yes whenever I happen to have cooked oatmeal I always add yogurt..thanks to you! Your photos are verrry persuasive you know ;)
Oatmeal and nut butter/yogurt <- is that cheating?
Dates and errrm..I haven't had dates in too long to decide.
Coffee and CHOCOLATE!
Noodles and tomato chutney
Cereal and yogurt
I'm quite particular with my cereal..I like it partially crispy..sorta slighty softened yet still crispy!
Ms.J recently posted..WIAW a good ol’ fluffy dayMy Profile

61 runnermamablogger February 19, 2014 at 8:37 am

I love the idea of adding instant coffee to certain things. I plan on making a version of your smoothie later today after my run. Love the idea of adding a little yogurt to oatmeal. It’s like adding sour cream to chili.
runnermamablogger recently posted..Such A BumMy Profile

62 Miranda @ Loving Every Mile February 19, 2014 at 8:44 am

K so don’t mind me, just drooling over your food. NBD ;)
a) Oatmeal AND banana.
b) Dates AND (I don’t know- I’ve never tried dates!).
c) Coffee AND caramel.
d) Noodles AND tomato sauce.
e) Cereal AND almond milk.
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) Crunchy!
Miranda @ Loving Every Mile recently posted..wiaw 2/19: unwavering loveMy Profile

63 Hollie February 19, 2014 at 8:45 am

I think chocolate and cherries are one of the best recipes that go well together personally. That is so foodie of me I guess. I think a lot of foods just taste better in combination. i don’t know where I’m going with this LOL.
Hollie recently posted..Lake Effect Series: Your Heart Will StopMy Profile

64 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles February 19, 2014 at 8:56 am

You don’t stick the yogurt in the oatmeal while you’re cooking it, right? Just afterwards to eat it? (I think the idea of cooking it with yogurt is a little weird, but you are the one who introduced me to egg whites in oatmeal so I should probably trust your judgment…)
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..I Don’t Know How To Not Talk A Lot…And I Really Like HoneydewMy Profile

65 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 10:18 am

:lol: No, I always scoop it in afterwards.

66 Tamara February 19, 2014 at 8:59 am

I agree wholeheartedly, I don’t like yogurt in my overnight oats but love it on cooked oats! It’s so good mixed with some PB2 and dolloped onto hot oats, then topped with sliced banana and dry roasted peanuts. SERIOUSLY good.

a) Oatmeal AND runny egg. I miss savory oats… time to make them!
b) Dates AND nothing, really. I should try them!
c) Coffee AND half & half. I’m a purist
d) Noodles AND spinach. (LOTS of things and spinach.)
e) Cereal AND fruit (and milk). Just had Kashi Heart to Heart Oat Flakes and Blueberry Clusters with fresh blueberries and 2% milk for today’s breakfast. Yum.
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) Crunchy. But it’s good either way.
Tamara recently posted..Thursday Thoughts #2My Profile

67 Ashley @MilesonOats February 19, 2014 at 9:01 am

a) Oatmeal AND whipped in egg whites, topped with peanut butta, cinnamon, and pure maple syrup. Or shall I say imposter maple syrup since only the good stuff is in your neck of the woods? ;)
b) Dates AND Merp O___O I have never tried a date…..! I’ll predict you might be doing a face-palm right now.
c) Coffee AND cinnamon. Oh my sweet, sweet, cinnamon. How I love thee. (erm, sorry for my awkward Shakespeare ramble….)
d) Noodles AND cheese. To be specific, Annie’s whole grain shells, cheese, peas, cracked black pepper and a few chunks of avocado on top. Just for good measure ;)
e) Cereal AND almond milk. Maybe raisins if I am feelin’ sassy. And if I am eating raisin bran or something similar. Otherwise I can’t get down.
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) Soggy. Like mushy soggy. Feel free to gag, I think I just did too when I actually wrote the description. I digress.
Ashley @MilesonOats recently posted..WIAW- Kabocha ProMy Profile

68 Maria February 19, 2014 at 9:14 am

Mmm everything looks so yummy! I love the sweet and salty combo too!
Maria recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday- Hey it’s Reading Week!My Profile

69 Jen @ Chase the Red Grape February 19, 2014 at 9:18 am

Sooo with you on the oats and yoghurt – but for me that also has to be partnered with banana and almond butter!
As you know, dates and almond butter is the most fantastic winning combo in my book – I hope my tweet didn’t end up in the loss of another bag! :-S

Also dates stuffed with blue cheese and a pecan nut, oh my goodness!
Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted..What I ate Wednesday!My Profile

70 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 10:41 am

Wellllll, since you brought it up, I should probably admit that I kind of made a beeline for my pantry after seeing your tweet this morning :P

71 Nicole @ FruitnFitness February 19, 2014 at 10:13 am

Tasty combos indeed! I just had dates and almond butter and chocolate for my morning snack when I ran home to let Bentley out. I go through almond butter way too quickly too, the thing I have the hardest time controlling myself around. Another, healthier favorite combo of mine recently has been eggs and spinach. In salads, cooked, smoothies have all been including the combo.

72 Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom February 19, 2014 at 10:18 am

Oatmeal and peanut butter… or oatmeal with chocolate chips. I just love oatmeal in general…. so there’s no way to lose!
Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted..Taper CraziesMy Profile

73 Marjorie February 19, 2014 at 10:23 am

a) Oatmeal AND banananananas :D
b) Dates AND dried apricots! Sugar rush yummm!
c) Coffee AND creamer!
d) Noodles AND ricotta cheese! (If we’re talking about regular pasta noodles :P)
e) Cereal AND yogurt! Mmmm
f) do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?: Crunchy all the way! My heart breaks a little bit if my shredded wheat starts to fall apart in my milk :’(
Marjorie recently posted..Valentines Day + Delicious, coconutty oatsMy Profile

74 Lauren February 19, 2014 at 10:32 am

a) Oatmeal AND mustard.
b) Dates AND spaghetti sauce.
c) Coffee AND brown rice.
d) Noodles AND jelly.
e) Cereal AND tuna.

And I really hope you know I’m joking and kept your breakfast down. LOL ;)

75 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 11:20 am

:lol: I didn’t catch on at first because I can -totally- see oatmeal and mustard working in something like savoury oats. And is it weird that I would actually consider eating noodles with jelly just to see what it’s like? I just so happen to have both in my fridge right now too. Oooohhh tempting.

76 Megan @ The Skinny-Life February 19, 2014 at 10:36 am

a) Oatmeal AND BERRIES
b) Dates AND GREEK YOGURT
c) Coffee AND CINNAMON
d) Noodles AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS
e) Cereal AND PEANUT BUTTER
f) (do you prefer your cereal soggy or crunchy?) Definitely prefer the crunch!

77 Tiff @ Love, Sweat & Beers February 19, 2014 at 10:45 am

Yes to coffee and chocolate! (and pb and chocolate, or strawberries and chocolate, or pretzels and chocolate, or wine and chocolate… okay – I’m done now. haha)
Tiff @ Love, Sweat & Beers recently posted..It Takes A VillageMy Profile

78 leigha@minougirl February 19, 2014 at 11:02 am

Lately I’ve been putting cottage cheese in my oats too. You HAVE to try it! I adds a ton of creaminess! Cottage cheese + jam is the BOMB. Especially with my grandma’s homemade jam… mmmm :) and I guess I’m now obsessed with cottage cheese. Go figure. I also put it in my pasta. Trust me, it’s good.
leigha@minougirl recently posted..WIAW – Meatless MondayMy Profile

79 Lyric February 19, 2014 at 11:14 am

Your actually the one who has turned me on to oatmeal and yogurt! Its becoming a problem. Especially when there is almond butter involved. Dates and strawberries! I like to stuff the strawberries with dates when Im not feeling lazy but if I am then I just take a bite of date and take a bite of strawberry. Coffee and cinnamon; on its own, in dessert seriously that combo rocks. Noodles and Im going to be boring and say spaghetti. Seriously can’t go wrong with that one. I actually haven’t had cereal in a while.. I used to love it and I think I kind of over did it; but I know I liked it with almond milk and banana and it HAS to be crunchy. Seriously the minute I pour the milk I am going to town on that sucker.
Lyric recently posted..One of Those DaysMy Profile

80 Missy February 19, 2014 at 11:19 am

Crunchy!

The best trick is to pour your milk before the cereal… don’t know how this works but it somehow makes the crunch last longer.
Missy recently posted..Treat YourselfMy Profile

81 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 11:57 am

Fl0aters! :lol:

82 Dawn@OfficeGymRepeat February 19, 2014 at 11:26 am

Definitely going to get on that oatmeal and yogurt, sounds good!
a) Oatmeal AND peanut butter.
b) Dates AND I dunno? Never been a huge date fan…
c) Coffee AND chocolate (I’m with you on that one!).
d) Noodles AND chicken – like chicken noodle soup but thick & creamy!
e) Cereal AND milk.
f) Crunchy! and i like the flavored milk at the end :)
Dawn@OfficeGymRepeat recently posted..Sassy Sangria RecipeMy Profile

83 Brittany February 19, 2014 at 11:32 am

YES YES YES dates and almond butter. HOLY YES. I cannot put them down. Coffee always needs a cookie..always.
Brittany recently posted..Discover Portland: The Pittock MansionMy Profile

84 Amy@Long Drive Journey February 19, 2014 at 11:46 am

Macaroni and cheese for the win! Also, butter and rice. Don’t knock it til you try it!
Amy@Long Drive Journey recently posted..Just a ThoughtMy Profile

85 lauraagarwilson (keepinghealthygettingstylish) February 19, 2014 at 11:58 am

I do love a bit of yoghurt with oats, its the hot and cold combo I love there!

86 Sarah @ Sweet Miles February 19, 2014 at 12:01 pm

My husband and I semi-argue about this all the time: I eat my cereal dry! Is that weird?? I think because when I was younger I didn’t like milk, and it just stuck!

Love all of those combinations, and especially the mason jar at the end :)
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Bring On The ProteinMy Profile

87 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Definitely not weird — I love dry cereal! Just give me a box and I’m a happy camper. Actually… don’t give me a box… it’ll be gone before I know it :lol:

88 Kim @ FITsique February 19, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Dates AND chocolate!
Kim @ FITsique recently posted..How More Sleep Can Help You Lose WeightMy Profile

89 Laura @ RunningJunkie February 19, 2014 at 12:26 pm

a) Oatmeal AND fruit and coconut
b) Dates AND _____. (Haven’t really ever had dates. I should probably change that)
c) Coffee AND nothing. Coffee is delicious just as it is.
d) Noodles AND tomato sauce.
e) Cereal AND anything! Fruit, raisans, coconut, cinnamon, nut butter.
f) I hate soggy cereal. SO gross. I am all about the crunchy foods. Today I had a scone that was super dry and the edges were crunchy, I LOVED it.
Laura @ RunningJunkie recently posted..Ankle Weight Routine to Strengthen Those Hips (& Booty!)My Profile

90 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run February 19, 2014 at 12:40 pm

oatmeal and almond butter!

dates & almond butter!

EVERYTHING with almond butter!
Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted..Fueling Our Fitness {Weekly Workouts}My Profile

91 Arman @ thebigmansworld February 19, 2014 at 12:55 pm

This is why we are twinning. So much similarities! Cooked oats and yogurt is my standard method and sweet and salty? Always have to be present. Snack plate lunches make me jelly…. I want to have that instead of my boring Tupperware.

Sea salt on ALL things sweet- legit!

92 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 2:46 pm

You can always start a new trend with a snack Tupperware lunch ;)

93 Karey @ Nutty About Health February 19, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Dates… and coconut butter for me! But, I have to say, I may be swayed to the almond butter side too. Yum!! All of your eats look great as usual! :)
Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted..WIAW: Fruit MuncherMy Profile

94 lindsay February 19, 2014 at 2:28 pm

i’ve been putting dates and turkish apricots on everything… yogurt, smoothie, almond butter, and oatmeal. yep. but not coffee,. I’ll stop there
lindsay recently posted..How to Fuel a Professional Triathlete for Race SeasonMy Profile

95 Lauren@LoveChocolateLife February 19, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Love coffee + chocolate
a) Oatmeal AND peanut butter – like everyone else in the world here
b) Dates – chopped and mixed in to make cookies/balls ?? :)
c) Coffee AND girl scout samoa creamer — obsessed
d) Noodles AND peanut butter.. again? Lol I love soba noodles and PB at sushi places so good..
e) Cereal AND yogurt
f) Crunchy !!!!!!
Lauren@LoveChocolateLife recently posted..WIAW: Delicious Easy ChickenMy Profile

96 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 19, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Granola and yogurt.
Dates and blue cheese.
Coffee and cream.
Noodles and anything really.
Cereal and fruit. I love to add fresh berries to my cereal, along with my almond milk.

Your moms stir fry looks fantastic. I’d like a bowl of that.
Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted..WIAW: The Delightful and Delectable DayMy Profile

97 Aimée February 19, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I am one of those people that always loves to try crazy combos! For the most part though I like to keep it pretty simple.

1 – Oatmeal AND salt! I grew up with my Scottish Dad making porridge with just oats, water and a pinch of salt. It tastes so good! I still love my oats like that, just these days I top them with sweet toppings like banana and nut butter. A perfect sweet/salty combo!

2 – Dates AND tahini with a pinch of salt. Again with the salt! I feel like the deep taste of the tahini and a little salt brings out the sweetness in the date and it tastes so goo! (even better if you microwave for 10 seconds (; )

3 – Coffee AND nothing because I’m allergic to caffeine )’:

4 – Noodles AND well this question confuses me, as in Australia noodles are strictly an Asian food that you have with stir frys, etc. but I think that you also call pasta noodles? Because I wouldn’t have Asian noodles with butter and cheese. Anyway, if it were the Asian type it would have to be ramen, and the pasta type would have to be a traditional spaghetti bolognaise.

5 – Cereal AND banana! I just love the combo!

6 – I can never decide how I like my cereal. It kind of changes everyday!

98 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 19, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I adore adding a pinch of salt to my oats! I do it every morning, and I definitely noticed a huge difference in taste when I couldn’t do it while I was on vacation. Gonna have to start packing a cinnamon shaker AND a salt shaker when I travel…

99 Natalie @ lovenataliemarie February 19, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I will take up your order and try greek yogurt in my oatmeal tomorrow morning. I love creamy oats, so I think this will be perfect. :)

I can’t find dates anywhere. I am really missing out. *le sigh..*

I love jam and cottage cheese. I don’t know what it is, but it just gives off a salty sweet flavor to me. :)

I am obsessed with coffee and chocolate right now. :D

Milk and cereal will forever be a favorite.
Natalie @ lovenataliemarie recently posted..WIAW – The Food Does The TalkingMy Profile

100 Cassie February 19, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Oh my goodness I loooove oatmeal with yogurt. I haven’t had oatmeal sans yogurt in so long… I love the creaminess of it. But I basically will add yogurt or cottage cheese to anything that stands still!
Cassie recently posted..Blueberry Sweet Potato MuffinsMy Profile

101 Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run February 19, 2014 at 7:43 pm

a) Oatmeal AND Brown Sugar. I am obsessed with this combo
b) Dates AND Peanut butter. My Grandma used to stuff the dates and roll them in sugar :)
c) Coffee AND a microwave muffin. <3
d) Noodles AND butter (duh) ;)
e) Cereal AND yogurt
f) I love crunchy cereal – good thing as I really don't like milk (at all)
Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run recently posted..Monday Miles #5My Profile

102 Ellie@Fit for the soul February 19, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Your posts always have me drooling, Amanda! I agree that yogurt and oatmeal go verrrryyyy well together. Sometimes I don’t even put it in the pot and put a dollop of yogurt on top of my finished oatmeal. Love the tangy mix too! :D
a) Oatmeal AND banana
b) Dates AND pb/coconut butter!!!!
c) Coffee AND anything+everything.
d) Noodles AND fish
e) Cereal AND yogurt
f) Definitely crunchy cereal! I love everything crunchy, so even the edge of baked goods is my favorite part.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Eat Beautifully Challenge: One Small Change for 21 DaysMy Profile

103 Albizia February 19, 2014 at 9:23 pm

a) Oatmeal AND chocolate pudding (this one’s from you).
b) Dates AND almonds.
c) Coffee AND caramel.
d) Noodles AND *insert random thick creamy sauce here*.
e) Cereal AND fingers in the bag. If I eat it for breakfast, I eat it with milk but most of the time I just eat it straight from the bag as a snack.
f) crunchy all the way

104 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 20, 2014 at 7:39 am

I can’t believe I forgot about oats and pudding! Ohhh my gosh. A trip to the store is happening today. Love you. Owe you.

105 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen February 20, 2014 at 4:59 am

a) Oatmeal AND bananas! Seriously the perfect combo. Sometimes I’ll switch it up and have oatmeal with pear or apples, but oatmeal and bananas will always have my heart.
b) Dates AND almond butter. Totally agree with you here!
c) Coffee AND soy milk. I don’t really use soy milk that much, but I love it in my coffee for some reason.
d) Noodles AND sesame oil. I love cold Asian noodle dishes with sesame ginger flavours!
e) Cereal AND milk… I can’t think of any other combo haha.
f) Crunchy cereal all the way! Unless we’re talking about Mini Wheats, in which case soggy is the best!
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Sadie’s DinerMy Profile

106 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli February 20, 2014 at 7:22 am

I still need to try the buttered noodles and parm! And I want to try it with Vegemite too…I hear it’s pretty tasty! I couldn’t agree more on the yogurt. I like overnights too but there’s just something about the fluff factor of cooked oats! And sweet and salty…ALWAYS!!!

a) Oatmeal AND applesauce AND caramel apple cashew butter…since that’s what I just finished eating for breakfast…’twas delicious!
b) Dates AND peanut butter…that used to be my GO-TO pre-run fuel!
c) Coffee AND booze! Ha! I was actually just telling a friend how summer before last, I rarely had a cup of weekend coffee without a “splash” of Bailey’s or some other froo froo liquor…I think I may jump back on that train soon! ;)
d) Noodles AND cheese. Yup, I’m boring…that is until I try your combo!
e) Cereal AND my hand! Which is how I’ve been eating it lately…well, when it hasn’t been sprinkled with peanut flour and doused in almond milk!
f) I actually used to really like soggy Chex when I was younger, but nowadays I’m all about the CRUNCH!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Birthday Cake, Booty Burnin’, and Other Randomness!My Profile

107 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change February 20, 2014 at 1:06 pm

a) Oatmeal AND – blueberries! This is something my dad always does, so I think that’s where I learned the ways from!
b) Dates AND – carrots! Practical Paleo has an amazing recipes for these.
c) Coffee AND – coconut creamer, aka, best thing EVER created.
d) Noodles AND – homemade meat sauce. Matt and I are pretty much masters at this meal.
e) Cereal AND – almond milk!
f) I like a little mix of both when I’m eating, like with Chex, but always a little more crunchy.
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..When the World Tells You to Slow Down…My Profile

108 Kristen February 20, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Can you eat the skin on kabocha squash?

109 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 20, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I know people who do, but my stomach doesn’t handle that much bulk too well so I tend to avoid it.

110 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate February 20, 2014 at 5:06 pm

You pretty much nailed all my current favorite combos. Expect cereal, I’m still recovering from the cereal overload that occurred a while ago. But I am happy to report that my nut butter (well, sun butter at least) craving has finally returned. I have been adding cold brew coffee to my chocolate banana shakes and it is just perfection.
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Wordless What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

111 Iman February 25, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I love the fact that you hit a lil bit of cereal at the end of your day! I love Breakfast(can have it through out the day!) and your breakfasts look soo yummy! your blog is also too awesome, I love reading your WIAW’s, they always are too school for my cool! ;)
Iman recently posted..Surprisingly Great Gym session and A lil Confession!My Profile