. currently – january 2014 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on January 3, 2014

Happy Tuesday Friday, friends! :D

I don’t know about you guys, but having a holiday in the middle of the week has totally thrown me off. Wednesday felt like a Sunday, yesterday felt like a Monday, and today should technically be a Tuesday. Friday is tonnes better, though, so let’s just roll with that ;)

I’m still kind of trying to fall back into a blogging groove after the holidays, so we’re going to keep things on the lighter side today with a “Currently” survey. I love filing these out because it let’s me look back at where I was at during different months of the year. Actually, I published my first currently post in January of 2013, and it’s been fun to go back and look at what’s changed/stayed the same. Gotta love blogging for that :D

Current book: The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. I’m pretty much finished with it and looking for something new, but it was definitely good while it lasted (TWSS). I especially love that I recognized so many lines from the movie, and that one of my favourite authors (Patrick Rothfuss — Name of the Wind) gave it a shoutout as one of his favourite books.

The Last Unicorn

Current music: Taking a trip down memory lane with Closing Time by Semisonic.

Current guilty pleasure: Listening to 90′s pop music ^^ I stumbled across this link to the 18 Best 90′s Pop Songs You Forgot Existed a couple of weeks ago, and it sparked a craving for the cheesy wonderfulness that I used to listen to when I was younger. Well, listen to while singing along at the top of my lungs and trying to learn all the dance moves. Oh gosh… how embarrassing.

Current nail colour: Garnet from RGB Cosmetics. I know I already mentioned this in my December favourites post, but this polish is amazing. I’m sportin’ 5 day nails in the pic below, and aside from a couple of tiny chips, they still basically look good as new. And I haven’t been easy on them, either — they’ve managed to survive plenty of dishwashing, vacuuming, scrubbing, and showering without looking any worse for wear. So.much.love.

RGB Garnet

Current drink: Still showing some serious love to kombucha and ginger tea. My stomach’s been giving me a lot of grief lately and I have no idea why, so I might have to take a look at what I’m eating if it doesn’t start clearing up soon. It’s a lot better than it was around the holidays, but dang… go away, bloat!

Current food: Crispbreads, specifically the ones from Doctor Kracker. I’ve been craving more savoury/salty snacks after The Great Christmas Cookie Coma of ’13, and these have been a definite favourite. So crunchy. So good.

Doctor Kracker

Current obsession: Birthday cakes. I’ve pretty much decided on the kind of I want for the big day, but I can’t help but keep browsing to see if I can’t  find something better. Dratted perfectionism! At the end of the day, any cake is good cake… Well, maybe except for that weird red and green fruit cake they sell around here during the holidays. What.the.heck…

Fruitcake

Current wish: Warmer weather for my birthday! It’s -4C (25F) today, and going down to -22C (-7F) tomorrow. Why?! Why can’t it be warm just.one.year? My birthday always falls on a ridiculously frigid day, which makes it especially annoying when I had plans to go to the mountains. Oh poop…

Current need: A chalkboard for my food photos. Actually… more food props in general. I really hate the idea of cluttering my condo, but I also really want to work on my photography this year, especially since I plan on posting more recipes. And let’s face it… a little more variety wouldn’t hurt…

No Bake Almond Fudge Protein Bars
Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Chocolate Fudge Filling

Almond Fudge Protein Bars  – Chocolate-filled Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Current triumph: I got hit with a huge boost of motivation yesterday and ended up cleaning pretty much my entire condo. Laundry (x2), vacuuming, dusting, tidying… all squeaky clean. I blame the new year.

Current bane of my existence: A lack of sleep. I have no idea what it is, but my sleep has been completely whacko lately. Some nights I can’t fall asleep; some nights I can’t stay asleep. Stress? An overactive mind? Whatever it is, I really need to work on getting more shut eye — the zombie look isn’t good for anyone.

Current indulgence: Not quite ready for this one yet — still recovering from the holidays. Besides, I’m gearing up for birthday cake.

Black Forest Slice

Current procrastination: Answering the overwhelming amount of e-mails in my inbox. Gulp. This is actually something I really need to work on (as anyone who’s ever tried to keep in contact with me can attest to)… I always try to respond to each one, buuuuuuuut it might take me a while. Ideally I’d like to answer within 24-hours, especially since I start stressing when they start adding up.

Current blessing: Absolutely amazing blends (blog friends). I woke up this morning to a Bloglovin feed full of the sweetest happy birthday posts from Davida, Arman, Sam, Lucie, Miss Polkadot, Heather, and BeckyOh.em.gee. I started blubbering like a baby.

Current excitement: I think I may have mentioned on more than one occasion that it’s my birthday tomorrow? (Sorry!) Yeaaaaaaah, kind of happy dancing about that one.

Current mood: Reflective, content, happy…

Current link: The local weather… hoping against hope that it’ll miraculously show warmer temperatures for tomorrow!

Bad Birthday Weather

Signature

Am I the only one who’s garbage at answering e-mails in a timely fashion?!?
Give me your current:
1) … book.
2) … guilty pleasure.
3) … obsession.
4) … bane of existence.
5) … procrastination.

1 Davida @ The Healthy Maven January 3, 2014 at 6:10 am

Current blessing is YOU my dear friend! And you know my untimeliness with email answering…Also I swear I’m not ignoring your texts, my phone is broken again! Grrrr

A very happy birthday to you babe! You deserve only the best. Lots of love!
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..A Spoonful BirthdayMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Thank you AGAIN for being the absolute sweetest. Giving you the BIGGEST hug when we meet this year. When… not if.

3 Jess January 3, 2014 at 6:20 am

Happy Birthday, hope it magically gets warmer! Who knows ;)
Book: “Banquete Total: cuando la corrupción dejó de ser ilegal” It’s a book from a political analyst
Guilty pleasure: frozen yogurt!
Obsession: cereals! I eat them everyday!
Bane of existence: a lack of exercise motivation! I need a partner, working out alone isn’t so fun :/
Procrastination: Pinterest
Oh I waste time there :)
Thanks for sharing! Again HAppy Birthday!!

4 Lucie January 3, 2014 at 6:24 am

I feel you on the email issue, though I always schedule some time on the weekend to reply to all of them. I once completely missed 1-2 cause they dropped down too far and I felt so bad.
Yay!! I was so waiting for you to see all out posts!!
Lucie recently posted..10 things I heart….My Profile

5 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I think I’m going to have to start scheduling in e-mail time. Thanks again for the love, hun! You’re amazing <3

6 Cassie January 3, 2014 at 6:24 am

Happy Birthday! I hope you survive the cold!
Cassie recently posted...thinking out loud. #4My Profile

7 Megan @ Meg Go Run January 3, 2014 at 6:26 am

Book- I am re-reading a Sweet Valley High book I used to love!
Guilty Pleasure- I started DVR’ing Dr. Phil again!
Obsession- Eastbound and Down. A hilarious TV show not for the faint of heart.
Bane of my existence- My knee. Still trying to figure out the cause of the problem so I can FIX the problem that has been plaguing me since July!
Procrastination- Studying for my personal training test. I have only studied once in the past several weeks. It’s just so harrrrrrd to focus after working all day! Complain. Complain. Complain.
Megan @ Meg Go Run recently posted..You may have missed…My Profile

8 Sarah @pickyrunner January 3, 2014 at 6:29 am

Happy birthday!!, I’m sorry it’s going to be so cold for your birthday (mines in march so it’s hit or miss) but I hope that cake warms you right up- it certainly LOOKS delicious so I bet it tastes even better ;) I feel you on the sleep thing. I’ve been ready for bed around 7:30 most nights and then I can’t sleep until midnight! Maybe it means I need to do something.. Like leave my house lol
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..Hangover Classic 5KMy Profile

9 Becky @ Olives n Wine January 3, 2014 at 6:31 am

Emails… Glad we can relate on that one ;) I cannot wait to see which birthday cake you select… There better be lots if chocolate is all I gotta say… And have the most wonderful birthday tomorrow!!!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..10 Things I Love About SpoonsMy Profile

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Oh girl, you KNOW there’s going to be chocolate :mrgreen: And thank you again for your sweet post <3

11 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty January 3, 2014 at 6:34 am

Happy birthday (almost)!!
Guilty pleasure: sweatpants all day, all night.
Procrastination: an inbox that needs some major updating!
Obsession: smoothies—yes even in the cold!

Have an awesome day and birthday weekend!!
Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty recently posted..Friday Favorites 1/3/14My Profile

12 Liz S. January 3, 2014 at 6:45 am

Hope you have a FABULOUS birthday coming up, Amanda!!!

1) Melissa Explains It All
2) Big Bang Theory
3) The newest Panic! At The Disco album
4) Insanely cold, snowy weather
5) Getting through a stack of magazines

13 Heather @fitncookies January 3, 2014 at 6:47 am

Happy Birthday to you one day early :) I have loved reading the posts by those girls! So awesome :) I will be here to wish you a happy birthday tomorrow, though ;) Current obsession- getting my house clean by making ridiculous to do lists haha current procrastination- menu planning for next week since I have to go in the cold to go shopping :(
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Christmas Part 3 RecapMy Profile

14 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles January 3, 2014 at 6:48 am

I am so excited that your birthday is tomorrow! I may even enjoy a slice of cake in celebration for you. I can’t wait to see your cake selection! I love that we both take this so seriously- some people just don’t get it….I am pretty good at responding to emails but as they pile up, I have to be careful to not open them and not respond because then I may forget…I really need to read a book, I haven’t been reading and once I fall off the reading wagon, it is hard to get back on.
meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..Red Mango, Homemade Pizza And A Snow Day From RunningMy Profile

15 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I’m seriously tempted to make that fudge cake you posted! It looked amazing and I love the simple ingredients list.

16 Alex @ therunwithin January 3, 2014 at 6:58 am

happy one day early birthday!! so sweet all the posts I saw, I mean who doesn’t love Spoons? haha. Your weather is insane, I couldn’t deal with it.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..TOT: No, Not Tater TotsMy Profile

17 Tatum January 3, 2014 at 6:59 am

I totally did a throwback for my #current music also!
Your posts ALWAYS make me so hungry. That cake looks delish!
What did you end up picking for your birthday cake!! Happy birthday love :)
Tatum recently posted..Five Things Friday #1My Profile

18 Ang @ Nutty for Life January 3, 2014 at 6:59 am

Hey, at least it’s not 4 degrees (F) like it is here! Regardless of the weather, I’m sure your birthday will be sweet (pun intended!). Happy birthday early, since I don’t know if you’re posting tomorrow. Have an amazing weekend!
Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted..Let’s Talk About Running…My Profile

19 Parita @ myinnershakti January 3, 2014 at 7:01 am

Happy Birthday, friend! Hope it’s an amazing one!

And that nail color is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Must buy soon!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Ringing in 2014 + NOT setting resolutionsMy Profile

20 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! January 3, 2014 at 7:06 am

Current book is girl, interrupted . Current obsession is my easiest morning muesli (I posted the ‘recipe’ today. Seriously I’ve had it everyday for a week!) Current obsession: tea as always. Current bane of existence is his winter weather. Gah! It’s neg 22 in Toronto! Current procrastination is nothing since school doesn’t start til Monday; I’m still a. Free bird tweeeeeeeeeeet

Happy birthday to you girl! Davs’ post was sooooooo sweet :)
Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted..Easiest Morning MuesliMy Profile

21 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Hope it warms up for you soon! It’s -21 here tonight, but with the wind chill it feels like -35. Gotta love Canadian winters…

22 Laura @losingrace January 3, 2014 at 7:23 am

OMG I haven’t listened to SemiSonic in years!! Hellooo flashback!

Current bane of my existence…this 4 degree weather, and digging my car out of the snow at 5:30 this morning.
Laura @losingrace recently posted..Catching up on the ‘News’My Profile

23 Chelsea January 3, 2014 at 7:23 am

HAPPY ALMOST BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! :) :) :)
1) … book. – I’m in between right now. I need to pick out something good.
2) … guilty pleasure. – hitting the snooze button for ‘just a few more minutes’
3) … obsession. – Justin’s maple almond butter. Which is your fault for posting a picture of it. :)
4) … bane of existence. – the.weather. – negative 30 degree (Fahrenheit) wind chill right now. My weather app has pictures of igloos on it. Really weather app? That’s not funny.
5) … procrastination.- getting dressed and going to work. It’s.just.so.cold.

AGAIN. HAAAAAAAAAAAPPY almost BIRTHDAY! I hope it is FABULOUS!
Chelsea recently posted..[What I Learned Friday] Week Ending 01/03/14My Profile

24 Cori @ olivetorun January 3, 2014 at 7:28 am

Happy almost birthday! I saw the adorable link up from the blogging buddies… love it, you deserve it :)

Current book:Fault In Our Stars ;)
Cori @ olivetorun recently posted..Link OLoved #2, Ab Blaster, and Divergent Series ReviewMy Profile

25 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I -just- picked that up yesterday! Better be better than Allegiant… :mad:

26 Ms.J January 3, 2014 at 7:46 am

Totally feel you on the bloaty belly. Mine seems to appear toward the end of every single day..not noticeable to the eye but very uncomfortable. I’ve been thinking that I could be overdoing it with drinking water, but I haven’t come so far to cutting down yet. Current book(s) are Archie Comics LOL..it’s been so busy at the office all I want when I’m chilling is a very light read :p .
Gosh I wish I could send you some of our heat as a birthday gift. It’s basically too hot to wear pants over here!
I’m sure you will still have an awesome day nevermind the weather..Happy Birthday :D
Can’t wait to see your cake!
Ms.J recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #4My Profile

27 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope January 3, 2014 at 7:48 am

LOVE Dr. Kracker flatbreads!!! I used to have multiple a day… I need to buy those again!
Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope recently posted..Friday Crunch TimeMy Profile

28 Lisa C. January 3, 2014 at 7:53 am

Ha! I always thought your outside temperature updates were in F! I used to think- wow, that is cold! It finally clicked that it’s C. ;) Still cold, but not quite has cold as I was imagining!

We have an “arctic blast” coming through on Monday- high of 3F! (yes, F!)

Stay warm!

29 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 3, 2014 at 8:09 am

Ah I love that song!! The bar I used to go to on a regular basis when I was younger would always play this song at last call. Such a good one.
And I’m glad we were able to surprise you today. You know how much I adore you, so it was a lot of fun…and hard to keep a secret the last couple of days :-p

1. book: just started reading A Clash of Kings again last night.
2. guilty pleasure: making everyday pajama day.
3) obsession: the No Limits tank I bought last week.
4) bane of existence: the weather. If I could punch snow and cold in the face, I would.
5) procrastination: I’m allowed to procrastinate right now because school doesn’t start again until Monday ;-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 01/03/14.My Profile

30 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I still can’t believe you managed to keep it a secret! I’m horrible at things like that. And I love the No Limits tank. I would wear mine more often, but it’s way too darn cold. -35 with the wind chill? Yeah, no…

31 Amy @ Long Drive Journey January 3, 2014 at 8:13 am

Happy birthday girl! Eat lots and lots of cake (or in your case, nut butter covered oatmeal). I am currently making my way through the last Hunger Games book, and also reading George HW Bush’s memoirs (the first Bush). I hope you get some warmer weather for your birthday, too, but since that probably won’t happen, here’s to hoping that you enjoy it anyway!
Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted..5 Lessons from My Vegetable ChallengeMy Profile

32 Hollie January 3, 2014 at 8:25 am

I hope you do get some warmth on your birthday. That would be nice. New Jersey was hit with some heavy snow sadly so I’m, pretty much snowed in. My guilty pleasure is probably about 8 hours of trashy TV if we are being honest.
Hollie recently posted..Sugar Free for 2 Whole DaysMy Profile

33 Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run January 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

1) Allegiant – for the second time. I can’t finish it knowing what happens :(
2) Coconut gelato
3) Divergent Series, Running, The Gym
4) School/finals
5) School
Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run recently posted..Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

34 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves January 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

Ahh I wish you a very happy birthday, girl! I hope your cake, whatever it may be, is good enough to make your eyes roll and that you get to spend the day with loved ones ♥
I also hope you are able to get some quality rest this weekend!
Current guilty pleasure: chips and salsa
Current obsession/procrastination: I’ve been reading blogs like it’s my job lately. I keep forgetting that thing…homework? I blame winter break.
Have a fabulous weekend, Amanda!! :)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Fascinating Friday Links #18My Profile

35 Kim @ Racing Bananas January 3, 2014 at 8:33 am

Happy early bday! I’m so glad I’ve stumbled upon your blog – I really, really love it! And I also love that we share a love of 90s music. It’s the reason I haven’t cancelled my Sirius XM subscription yet – 90s music any time of the day!
Kim @ Racing Bananas recently posted..How to Make the World’s Best Sandwich (Recipe!)My Profile

36 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:49 pm

And I’m just as happy to have stumbled upon yours!! :D Also… I may have mentioned that you have the most gorgeously infectious smile ;)

37 Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com January 3, 2014 at 8:33 am

Happy birthday Lady!
I so love 90′s and 80′s music!

Current book is Allegiant
Current guilty pleasure is Kemps Moose Tracks fro yo
Current obsession is weather
Current bane of existence is weather – though yours at -7 and 25 are pretty bad and I shouldn’t complaint bout 28 degree weather, I am a big time cold wimp and adore the heat always!
Current procrastination Bejeweled Blitz!
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Thinking Out Loud Link-UpMy Profile

38 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 3, 2014 at 8:39 am

Happy, Happy Birthday to you!!! I hope its the start of an amazing year. And that you do enjoy a little indulgence. ;)
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Strange But Good: Roasted Grape & Kabocha Kale SaladMy Profile

39 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles January 3, 2014 at 8:41 am

Happy (early) birthday!! I understand some of your frustration with the cold–it’s been like that here, too! And the snow is up to my knees. And all I really want to do is run outside… sigh. Freshman year of college, my friends and I had Closing Time on repeat CONSTANTLY. Looking back, I have no idea why, but it was what it was, hah.
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..Well This Is AwkwardMy Profile

40 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:52 pm

!! You don’t like it?! Sad face! Brings back so many good memories…

41 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne January 3, 2014 at 8:42 am

Well happy birthday!!
My current obsession: Reading. I’ve just realized I’m on break, and have been using it to good use with a book in my hang almost everyday!
My current indulgence: Cookie butter. I put it on everything!
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Don’t Be AfraidMy Profile

42 Heather Murphy January 3, 2014 at 8:43 am

I need to do a major clean sweep of my house; especially since I still have my Christmas decorations up! Happy early birthday, pretty girl! I hope it is the best one yet!
Heather Murphy recently posted..Friday Favorites!My Profile

43 Ashley January 3, 2014 at 8:50 am

I used a quote from Closing Time in my high school yearbook! “Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end.” So deep. But you gotta love the 90′s music. I’ve been needing a chalkboard for photos as well…where does one find a chalkboard?

My current bane of my existence is the weather…it’s 15 degrees F outside right now and I’m “working from home” due to the snow! Thinking about making your pumpkin pie oatmeal bars for a little treat!
Ashley recently posted..thinking out loud #3My Profile

44 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I’m pretty sure you can get them in any office supply store. Do you guys have Staples down in the States? I saw some there.

45 Erin @ The Almond Eater January 3, 2014 at 8:56 am

Happy [almost] birthday Amanda!! Glad to see the weather is just as nice where you are ;) hhaa. I also go through phases where I become re-obsessed with 90s pop. It is so good. Uhmmmm what is wrong with that red and green cake? Like wtf. I’m anxious to see what kind of cake you DID decide on :) Enjoy your weekend, lady!
Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted..2014 Ch-Ch-Ch-ChangesMy Profile

46 Lauren January 3, 2014 at 9:15 am

Since you normally skip Saturday posts, I want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! today.

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday, Amanda who runs with spoooooons; Happy Birthday to you!

Have a great one gorgeous girl!

47 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Awwr thanks love <3 Thinking of you!

48 Christine@ Apple of My Eye January 3, 2014 at 9:17 am

Love that nail color! And curious to see what you’re planning on doing with the chalkboard for your photography. I JUST went to Cost Plus Wordl Market (not sure if you guys have that) which is a store that has a ton of great props for killer prices. Going to another similar store today! Let me know if I can pick anything up for you- they have plenty of chalkboards and anything else a food blogger could want ;). Early birthday present haha!
Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #1My Profile

49 Autumn January 3, 2014 at 9:18 am

Book: General Tommy Franks, Commander in Chief
Guilty Pleasure: hmmmmm, sitting in my pjs all morning! (cmas breaaaaak!!)
Obsession: Reading and (still) baking yummy foods!
Bane of Existence: me. outside. BRR!
Procrastination: probably going to bed around my scheduled time! my books just too hard to put down!

50 Sarah @ Sweet Miles January 3, 2014 at 9:27 am

Holy cow it’s COLD there!!! I thought it was cold here! Brrr!! I think my current guilty pleasure is the bag of mint Hershey kisses sitting next to me in my desk drawer :) They might be almost gone!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Marriage Is Worth ItMy Profile

51 Caitlin January 3, 2014 at 9:33 am

Happy early birthday love!! I am very excited to see what bday cake you chose :D

Current book: lady catherine, the earl and the real downton abbey (think that’s the full title)
Guilty pleasure: massive amounts of chocolate and slipper socks…can’t and won’t stop
Obsession: see above
Bane of existence: snow, cold, and my car
Procrastination: cleaning the house…no desire to do that

Have a great weekend lady
Caitlin recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #4My Profile

52 Amanda @runtothefinish January 3, 2014 at 9:38 am

Too funny I just went shopping for a chalkboard for photos this weekend! found one i liked at Marshall’s. I actually loved the mid-week holiday but I think it’s because I pretty much work any day of the week so I had lots of fun having David home.
Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..One Word Resolution: PeaceMy Profile

53 Andrea @ PencilsandPancakes January 3, 2014 at 9:46 am

Happy birthday tomorrow!! Current bane of my existence is the fact I have to go back to work Monday after 16 days off…..oh the terrible life of a teacher.
Andrea @ PencilsandPancakes recently posted..Since when is being healthy unhealthy?My Profile

54 Karey @ Nutty About Health January 3, 2014 at 9:52 am

It’s super cold here as well… going to be -12 on Monday. :( I’ve been hibernating inside like it’s my job…. many extra long & fuzzy warm socks & multiple layers.
Current book: A Shade of Vampire series… kind of addicting. Bane of Existence: the cold.
Hope you have a Happy Birthday tomorrow lady!! Can’t wait to see the cake you end up with! :)
Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted..Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

55 Ange @ Cowgirl Runs January 3, 2014 at 9:59 am

Looks like I’ll need to add The Last Unicorn to my reading list :) I’ve been hearing a lot about it lately.

I’m super hard on my nails, I’ll have to try an RGB polish and see if it works better for me (once I’m allowed to spend money, that is).

When it comes to emails, if I don’t answer them immediately, I forget and then never do. Oops. Have you heard of the Mailbox app? It’s totally helped me keep my emails under control.

1) Book – Eat and Run. So good!
2) Champagne. I opened in on New Years Day and am still drinking it.
3) Netflix. Anything and everything.
4) Snow. Seriously GO AWAY already :)
5) Uhm. Work? Being off for two weeks means I’m slow at work.
Ange @ Cowgirl Runs recently posted..No Spend ChallengeMy Profile

56 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Mailbox? I’ve never heard of it… but if it can help, I seriously might have to look into it. Actually… going to look into it now.

57 Heather @ The Soulful Spoon January 3, 2014 at 9:59 am

I’m so excited for you that it’s almost your birthday!! I hope you have a great one and can’t wait to see what cake you choose!:)

OH MY GOSH. SAME PROBLEMS here with the tummy. It’s like constant gurgling ALL the time. No matter what I take out of my diet, change or do, it’s constantly bubbling and bloated. I hate this! I wonder if there is something going around?? If so, it must be spread EVERYWHERE because I’ve heard many people having the same issues. I follow a FODMAPS diet for the most part, so I have no idea what the issue is:( When probiotics won’t help, or enzymes, I know something is going on in there:) Hope you feel better soon!

I love this currently series. I need to do this on The Soulful Spoon soon. I think it’s a great way to get to know somebody, and we have all loved getting to know you a bit better too:)

Have a FABULOUS pre-birthday!!!!
Heather @ The Soulful Spoon recently posted...:*Fab Finds Friday*:.My Profile

58 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life January 3, 2014 at 10:34 am

Is that fruitcake?! Ick- it looks so gross! OH! But I bought “I’m No Angel” after seeing you talk about it on one of your LinkLove posts and I’m so excited to start reading it!!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..High 5 for Friday #12My Profile

59 Leigha @ Minougirl January 3, 2014 at 10:40 am

So I kind of feel like you just wrote the currently about MY life! My birthday is this month, I have WAY too many emails to respond to, my sleep has been crazy weird lately, and I just bought those same exact crackers! Happy birthday!! :)
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..2014 New Year’s ResolutionsMy Profile

60 Hey Lauren Rene January 3, 2014 at 10:43 am

Heading over for the first time from Olives n wine and wanted to wish you a very Happy Birthday!! Excited to check out your blog some more :) Have a great weekend!

61 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi, Lauren Rene! And thank you for the birthday wishes :)

62 lindsay January 3, 2014 at 11:17 am

currently eating molasses and celebrating YOU a day early. Save up for the cake bday girl!
lindsay recently posted..Fueling Friday: Raw Patties & Savory MuffinsMy Profile

63 Diana @sosmallsostrong January 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

Happy Early Birthday Lady!! I hope you have a beautiful day filled with love and most importantly CAKE! Enjoy it. :)

1. Intuitive Eating
2. Old Britney Spears CDs
3. Downton Abbey – I just get sucked into that show..even repeats!
4. Snow that traps me in the house
5. Lesson Planning!

64 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Old Britney! Oh gosh… I don’t think I’ll ever stop [secretly] loving her music. Thanks for the sweet wishes, Diana! :)

65 De @ De-Lightful January 3, 2014 at 11:21 am

Omg that cake!
De @ De-Lightful recently posted..2014 will be our yearMy Profile

66 Alice @ Daily Sweet Potato January 3, 2014 at 11:31 am

Happy Birthday! Is it bad that I kind of want to know what it’s like to be in a cookie coma? Hehe! Well I hope suddenly Canada and Arizona switches weather on your birthday– wouldn’t mind those negatives your having…. Love you so much and hope your stomach feels better!
Alice @ Daily Sweet Potato recently posted..Vegetarian Black Bean ChiliMy Profile

67 Sarah January 3, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Happy Birthday Eve Amanda! If you’d like to hop on a plane it’s about 75 degrees F here in SoCal right now. As a newbie to California I have to keep checking the calendar because it certainly does not seem like January.
Currently…
book) Jim Henson The Biography by Brian Jay Jones
guilty pleasure) mini naps
obsession) The Sunday New York Times crossword
bane of existence) unable to get new computer to connect to the internet
procrastination) working on a writing project

68 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I can’t even imagine that kind of weather in January, but it sounds fabulous… Hopping on a plane doesn’t sound like a bad idea right about now…

69 Laura January 3, 2014 at 12:28 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Don’t let the cold bring you down! I’m also pretty sure I’m in a permanent state of cookie-coma. Those peanut butter cookies with the hershey kiss in the middle get me every time. I wonder if they can be made with Almond Butter…hmmm….
Laura recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #3My Profile

70 Rebecca January 3, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Happy early Birthday. Here I am complaining about temperatures in the teens and you’re in the negatives. Brrr. The Last Unicorn is on my to read list, I just haven’t gotten to it yet. I’m currently reading “Clash of Kings” by George R.R. Martin. It’s going to take a while.
Rebecca recently posted..2013 Goals ReviewMy Profile

71 Danica @ It's Progression January 3, 2014 at 1:45 pm

The weather is just awful here, too (Minnesota). Our Governor actually ruled that no schools be open this coming Monday because of the terrible cold coming our way – it’s supposed to be 50-60 BELOW zero (F)! Yuck!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..2014 GoalsMy Profile

72 Kim January 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Wow – y’all do have some really cold temps!! We are supposed to get to -11 Sunday night and I’m sort-of dreading that!!! Sweet that you had so many birthday posts!!
Happy birthday (tomorrow)!!!
Kim recently posted..Well, the Break Is Over but There Is Still Plenty to Enjoy!!!My Profile

73 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change January 3, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Currently – I am so overwhelmed with happiness because of the wonderful posts other bloggers have done for you today. My heart was all happy when I was reading them! I am also happy that I stumbled upon your beautiful blog because it has simply become one of my favorites. Sometimes, I feel like you are reading my mind when you write stuff, and other times I can’t help but feel completely inspired by your words.
Side note – current bane of my existence is work. BUT, current mood/feeling is so so joyful/happy/anxious for my trip to see my mama in 10 days in Florida! I have so many happy, grand plans for when I’m down there!
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..Five Things Friday – 1My Profile

74 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Oh goodness, your comment just totally made my night. Thank you so much, Kelsey <3 And even though it’s a little early, I hope you have the most amazing time with your mama :D

75 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli January 3, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Ok, so I just realized that I never even told you happy birthday in my post to you so….HAPPY BIRTHDAY GORGEOUS!!! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that there is some sort of weather miracle and you can have a birthday that is at LEAST above freezing! And omg, you know I’m right there with you on the emails…I’ve got a couple right now that are calling my name…and comments to respond to…and blogs to read…and yeah, I can totally understand!

I want a chalkboard!! Actually, I’d really like to look into making some photo boards/backdrops of some kind…or maybe I’ll check out some kind of poster board? You know, as if I don’t already have like 3296 placemats and other props! It’s an affliction I tell you!! 8O
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Ten Things I Love About SpoonsMy Profile

76 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I think I may end up looking into some poster boards as well. Gah! This can seriously become all-consuming if you let it… And THANK YOU again for the sweetest post ever <3

77 Eating 4 Balance January 3, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I’ve just been reading about 100 ways why you are awesome. Ms. Amanda, you are definitely one special chickadee. I think the only thing that will make you more awesome is when you finally become obsessed with Harry Potter. Just sayin….

Happy Early Birthday. I will happily sacrifice a few degrees of our 10 degree temperature here so that you can make it above freezing on your b-day.

My favorite pop song ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6QDNC4jPs
Eating 4 Balance recently posted..New Things in 2013 and My Goal for 2014My Profile

78 Christina @ the athletarian January 3, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Happy (early) birthday to YOU!! I really hope it warms up for you. It’s -18*C (feels like -35 with wind chill…yikes) here today so I totally understand where you’re coming from. You can’t really do anything in this weather without your toes falling off.

1) book – I’m reading and loving Eat & Run by Scott Jurek right now.
2) guilty pleasure – Pyjamas. It’s 5pm and I’m still wearing them.
3) obsession – Princeton, but that’s no surprise.
4) bane of existence – The FLU. It needs to leave me. Stat.
5) procrastination – I’m with you on emails!

Have an amazing day tomorrow! Eat an extra slice of cake for me :)
Christina @ the athletarian recently posted..2014 GOALS!My Profile

79 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:11 pm

-35 with windchill here tonight too :( BAH, I say. And I hope you feel better soon! Give Prince a hug for me <3

80 Molly January 3, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Happy Brithday for tommorow!!! Current book- game of thrones (just started- love!) current guilty pleasure- chocolate. Chocolate. Cake and chocolate :). Current obsession- did I mention the chocolate? May as well add white chocolate and salted caramel to the list too :) current bane of my existence- waiting to hear back from people that will make my career dreams a yes (so anxious!) that fruit cake is gastly- I came see why Americans an Canadians make fun of it! In Britain fruit cake is most and dosnt have those hideous gummy things (well at a least none I have come across in my lifetime!) here it is absolutely amazing- dense- spiced- moist- boozy- fruity and all round delicious! I suggest a nigella Lawson or Delia recipe :) and spread it with a bit of butter if you feel like it :)Have a great Brithday

81 Arman @ thebigmansworld January 3, 2014 at 3:45 pm

HAPPY OFFICIAL BIRTHDAY- It’s 9.42am here and I eat my cold, leftover pesto pasta in your honour ;)

I’ll have to hunt down TLU book- I love reading a novel AFTER watching the movie- not the other way as it always leads to disappointment (You would know that if you had read/watched HP :p)

Fruit cake is the absolute worst ‘dessert’ ever invented. It’s like all those gross cherries mushed with brandy and.. I don’t even know what else. Speaking of emails, I will reply to yours this weekend- I wanted to wait till after today :p
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..10 Things I Love About SpoonsMy Profile

82 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:13 pm

THANK YOU again for doing all this, Mister… And here I was thinking you e-mail abandoned me :P

83 Kim January 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm

1. Dexter series (started forever ago but determined to read them all)
2. Skinny margaritas
3. Working out
4. Bills…
5. Putting wedding photos into photo album!

84 Linz @ Itz Linz January 3, 2014 at 4:23 pm

i wish for warmer weather too! itz only supposed to be getting colder here, too – colder than it has been in 20+ years!!!!!!!! craaaazy!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Prenatal YogaMy Profile

85 Miss Polkadot January 3, 2014 at 4:39 pm

It’s Saturday over here so I can officially say it: Happy Birthday, Amanda <3!! Current .. .hm, is it a guilty pleasure or procrastination that I try to read your blog while at work ;)? It's tricky to do when I'm working at a computer without internet access having to sneak to the desk of a colleague who's currently on vacation and whose internet access I use for work research in anyway. And blog reading totally counts as research, right?!
I'm so happy you liked the birthday surprise and it was hard to keep the secret until today.
After a long time without really getting into a book – I'm clearly [too?] picky – I'm currently reading The Book of Fate by Parinoush Saniee.
Don't feel bad about not answering mails right away. Anybody who knows me can attest I'm the worst at this myself though I don't mean it in a bad way. It just … happens? Maybe it's time to make a conscious effort at getting better here.
I hope you'll have a great birthday no matter how you decide to celebrate!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..10 Things I Love About SpoonsMy Profile

86 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Thank you, Missy <3 And thank you so much for your sweet post :)

87 Lyric January 3, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Happy {almost} Birthday Amanda! Im useless at answering emails, texts, phone calls you name it; however when it comes to blog reading I am always caught up. Priorities right ;)
Lyric recently posted..Get your new blog off to a great start (Hint: we can help!)My Profile

88 Yasmeen January 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Book – I’m reliving childhood memories and re-reading ‘A Little Princess’ by Frances Hodgson Burnett!

Guilty pleasure – I can’t think of one! Chocolates, chocolates and lots of it will always be a guilty pleasure

Obsession – all things social media/food & fitness

Bane of existence – lack of sleep for me as well. On days that I have work the next morning, I can’t sleep but when I don’t have work, I can sleep…why?? I will never understand.

Procrastination – hmm, I’ve been good lately, I haven’t let anything slip or haven’t been lazy. It’s the longest I’ve ever gone but I guess I do procrastinate a little when it comes to housework…I’m always telling myself I have to much to do…
Yasmeen recently posted..I’m Starting My Fitness Journey!My Profile

89 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen January 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm

That’s so funny – “Closing Time” has been in my head ever since I watched Friends with Benefits on Wednesday (it’s in the movie). Man, I miss 90s music. Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of 90s playlists on Songza while I work out and I’m loving it. :D

Current book: A Dance with Dragons… finally!
Current guilty pleasure: My homemade chocolate soy nut butter cups. So good!
Current obsession: Girls. I’m so excited for the next season!
Current bane of my existence: All the internship projects I have looming over my head.
Procrastination: All those projects. :P
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..NYE 2013/2014: 7 courses at QuatrefoilMy Profile

90 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Chocolate soy nut butter cups? Gah! You made allergy-friendly Reese’s! I’ve been meaning to try making some of those -forever- so I’m gonna need you to tell me how fabulous they are so that I finally take the plunge.

91 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl January 3, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I want a chalkboard for photos, too! I loved reading your b-day wishes this morning and happy early b-day to you, chickity!! ;)
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..A tutorial: How to make the PERFECT green smoothieMy Profile

92 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate January 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Just the appearance of fruit cake has always made me gag…I have no doubt your cake choice will be muuuch more appealing. I am so guilty of dancing to 90s pop songs and embarrassing myself horribly attempting to learn the dance moves. Picture me flailing around to NSYNC solo in my bedroom…
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Link Love: Body, Mind, and Soul FoodMy Profile

93 GiGi Eats Celebrities January 3, 2014 at 5:57 pm

If you entered my apartment, you would think I were baking 15 cakes!! ;) Come on over, however…… You might get mad cause no cakes would actually be baking – LMFAO!
GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..2014 Looks Pretty SexyMy Profile

94 Julie January 3, 2014 at 6:23 pm

A little birdie says your birthday is soon!

1) … book. Wild by Cheryl Strayed
2) … guilty pleasure. Bread and more bread
3) … obsession. Same as #2 and “Scandal”

95 Cassie January 3, 2014 at 8:53 pm

1) … book: – I have Lean In started but it’s too boring haha… so maybe ManRepeller’s book?
2) … guilty pleasure: every type of nut butter ever
3) … obsession: tea – I can’t get enough
4) … bane of existence: this cold weather!

Happy birthday in a few hours! Hope it’s amazing!!
Cassie recently posted..Spill It Sunday [3]: 2013 RecapMy Profile

96 Jen @ SavedbytheKale January 4, 2014 at 5:40 am

I didn’t get a chance to post yesterday but I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday Amanda!! much love!!!
Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #4My Profile

97 Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate January 4, 2014 at 6:32 am

I LOVE Doctor Kracker crackers! And super cute nailpolish color too– perfect for this time of year. Keep warm and have a great weekend!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted..True Story: Third EditionMy Profile

98 Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life January 4, 2014 at 8:39 am

Happy Birthday Amanda! Found you via Davida and really enjoyed this post! My favorite book right now is any cookbook sitting on my dresser;) Guilty pleasure? Chocolate peanut butter. I’m pretty obsessed with bananas and Egyptian licorice tea (not together, that would be a little weird) and the bane of my existance is all the ice everywhere! It makes going outside pretty impossible, although our temps are nothing like yours!
Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life recently posted..Whole Wheat Gingerbread Cinnamon RollsMy Profile

99 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi, Mary Frances! Chocolate, bananas, and licorice tea? Definitely all fabulous things :D Headed over to check out your blog!

100 Ari @ Ari's Menu January 4, 2014 at 3:15 pm

1. Most importantly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I adore you, and you will always be the AB to my J (I got it right that time, right???)!
2. That list of 90s songs. OMG so excited. My itunes will never be the same.
3. For food props, I suggest World Market. I don’t know if they have them in Canada, but I would imagine you can order online? I’ve gotten almost all of my napkins there, and I was so surprised how the little splash of color from a napkin took my photography to the next level! I want a chalkboard too! There’s a lot of cheeseboard ones out there that have my eye.

101 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 6:34 pm

And you will always be the J to my AB :D That was definitely an epic night… I still look back on those pictures with fondness :)

102 Brittany January 4, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Umm those blog friend posts are the sweetest things ever. Holy cow. THAT FRUIT cake makes me want to DIE! EWW NO NO NO!! HAHAHA. I too want to work on my photography this year, and just bought myself a fancy DSLR camera..here’s to hoping I can figure it out!

103 Brittany January 4, 2014 at 3:29 pm

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY OF COURSE!
Brittany recently posted..Balance is BlissMy Profile

104 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body January 4, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Happy Birthday! I hope you are enjoying some incredibly indulgent birthday cake and filling yourself up with friends and family! I’m loving that nail polish color, I currently have gold on which I am very excited about solely for the reason that I got it on sale!
Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted..Protein Corn Cakes – with reminiscingMy Profile

105 Consuelo @ Honey & Figs January 4, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Happy Birthday! I hope you get a nice warm day and lots of cake!
And I hope you get some sleep soon too. I haven’t slept for the past three days and I know that it feels terrible uuugh.
Hugs
xxxx

106 Lyric January 4, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Happy Birthday!!!

107 Ellie@Fit for the soul January 4, 2014 at 11:16 pm

1) A woman’s devotional, specifically written for moms! It’s awesome and it’s actually reading my mind. Really weird and cool in that way. ;)
2) Been loving too many pastries and cookies since my mother in law baked for us! And then I got some more at the bakery. :(
3) Clothes. I’ve been loving fashion more than usual and the thrill of getting a good bargain is more exciting than it should be.
4) See above. Hah!
5) Working on updating and taking care of my blog some more! It’s just not easy with a 6 month old, ya know?

And happy birfffffdayyyy my dear friend! You are clearly loved by so many of us and I hope you feel blessed this year! Excited to see what God has in store for you in 2014….:D
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Kleenex, Laughter, and What to ExpectMy Profile

108 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 5, 2014 at 6:27 am

I need to borrow some of your fashion enthusiasm! My wardrobe has seriously been suffering lately… I wear almost nothing that’s not black/grey/white :shock:

109 Jessie January 5, 2014 at 12:17 am

Happy Birthday, Love! I can only hope that this year become your best one yet. That you’re able to achieve all your wildest dreams & wishes. That you can find a reason to smile every single day. That your LD relationship continues to blossom & grow <3
Jessie recently posted..New Workout & is 14 too Young?My Profile

110 elise January 5, 2014 at 7:59 am

Ah happy birthday, lady! :) :)

All I can say is that that slice of cake looks absolutely decadent. Mmm. I, too, have had an overload of sugar lately, but I can still appreciate a tasty lookin’ piece of cake!
elise recently posted..Learning What’s Really ImportantMy Profile

111 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 5, 2014 at 10:16 am

Sugar! I was a day late on your birthday. My bad, although the sentiment is still the same. I hope you had a wonderful and fabulous day.
I’m super impressed with the lasting power of that nail polish. I went on a cleaning (and small cooking) frenzy yesterday and my nails looked horrible by the time I was done. Needless to say, I took it all off and I’m back to clear polish today.
My current book is A Feast For Crows. My guilty pleasure is the giant baked pancake breakfast I just consumed. My current obsession is apples (and yes your apple sauce made an appearance: I loved it), and my current bane of my existence is the fact that after two full weeks together, the Hubby is leaving and going back to school today. Since I’ve decided I hate living separately, I am not looking forward to his departure.

112 Emily @SinfulNutrition January 6, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Soo I thought those crackers were sesame seed pop-tarts and got so excited! Womp womp. They still look tasty though. And I think I may be the only person under 65 who likes fruitcake. Guess it’s cuz I am one.

Happy (late) birthday!!
Emily @SinfulNutrition recently posted..Monday Meals: Bananas Foster OatmealMy Profile