. thinking out loud #59 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on January 2, 2014

Welcome to the first ToL of 2014! Nothing like some randomness to start the year off right :D

Thinking-Out-Loud

1. Let’s kick off the new year by taking a quick look back at the old one, shall we? WordPress sends out blog stat reports at the end of each year, and I love reading them to get a better feel of what people like seeing on Spoons. Apparently you guys are a big fan of recipes…

Top Posts

And you definitely have good taste — those almond fudge protein bars are some of my favourite. One of my blogging goals for 2014 is to publish more recipes. I’d like to start with sharing at least 2 per week, and see where things go from there. I’m also playing around with the idea of posting more entrees and savoury snacks… It’s no secret that I have a huge sweet tooth and that I prefer baking over cooking, but it might not be a bad idea to branch out a little this year. I don’t know… what do you guys think?

2. I think that these girls rock my socks off…

Top Comments

Sam, Chelsea, Heather, Miss, and Lauren… I love you guys :D And even if you didn’t make the top 5, I love you too. As much as I enjoy writing and photography, blogging just wouldn’t be the same without the interaction I have with you guys, so thank you so much for continuing to support my little corner of the web — it honestly means the world to me. Spoons has become more than I ever imagined, and I can’t wait to see what this next year has in store.

3. I also can’t wait until my birthday. Two.more.days. SQUEEE! :D I was going to head up to the mountains to do some snowboarding this weekend, but it’s going to be a little colder than I’d like it to be, so I’m thinking I’ll need to switch to Plan B. What is Plan B? I’ll let you know when I figure it out ;)

4. Speaking of my birthday, I wanna update you guys on how Birthday Week is going! 5 days down, 2 to go…

Slipat

Day 1: Silpat.

Potato Smasher

Day 2: potato smasher (ha ha, Mom… but no, I really did need one)

Devotions Scarf

Day 3: Tiny Devotions sent me one of their awesome scarves.

Minion Love

Day 4: minion magnets/stickers.

Distressed Jeans

Day 5: distressed jeggings from American Eagle.

5. Can we just talk about those jeggings for a sec? AE was having an awesome sale for Boxing Day (40% off!) so I ended up picking up 3 pairs of pants (distressed, dark blue, black). You know those pants that just fit you perfectly? AE has those for me. And jeggings are freaking awesome because they look like jeans but feel like leggings. So.much.love.

6. Also really loving dates lately. I have a feeling these might become my newest foodie obsession…

Date Love

7. I also have a feeling that my Advent calendar was trying to tell me that one of my New Year’s resolutions should be to eat less chocolate… I had a calendar that kept on going after Christmas and counted down the days until the New Year, which is great except for the fact that two of my post-Christmas, pre-New Year’s chocolates were missing (note the lack of chocolate smudges in two of the slots)…

Empty Advent Calendar

I feel cheated. Oh, and giving up chocolate? Never going to happen.

8. While we’re on the topic of New Year’s resolutions, I suppose I should share mine with you… or at least I would if I had any. Truth be told, I’m not huge on making resolutions. I know the start of a new year can be a great boost of motivation, but… it’s a lot of pressure! I have this tendency to think in black and white, and it’s way too easy for me to fall into the kind of mentality where I feel like I should wake up on January 1st and suddenly be a new, perfect person. Not realistic, and I know that, but it’s a hard thought process for me to avoid, so I avoid the trap by not putting so much emphasis on the new year and making new goals on a more regular basis instead. Whatever works, right?

9. That was far too serious of a thought for a Thinking Out Loud post. Sowwy :oops:

10. Have I ever mentioned how much I love reading your guys’ random thoughts? Because I seriously look forward to it every week. Thank you again for being awesome :D

Thinking-Out-Loud

Signature
As always… leaving it open for whatever comes to your mind!
BUT!… one question this week — more entrees and savoury recipes: yay or nay?

1 shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com January 2, 2014 at 2:35 am

Yes to more entrees and savory dishes!!! A little spicing up, can go along way!
Yes to dates – I picked me up a 2lb box and (doing a quick check on ‘em) am so embarrassed to say it’s half way gone – how?!?! I must have date mooching minions in my fridge!!!!
I am so with you on the resolution thing…other than trying to watch more tv, I leave the resolutions today to month things – so much can change so quickly.
And – what are your thoughts on the silpat?
shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Thinking Out Loud Link-UpMy Profile

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I think you may just be the first person I know that makes it a point to watch MORE tv ;) And I haven’t actually used the Silpat yet — but I’ll definitely do a mini review of it when I finally get around to baking some more cookies!

3 Julie January 2, 2014 at 3:02 am

I’ve been craving more savory foods at the end of the year! Cheese and salami is always a hit and salt. More salt!

4 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles January 2, 2014 at 4:26 am

I would be so annoyed if I was missing those last few pieces of chocolate. I am so excited for you that your birthday is so soon- can’t wait to see the cake of choice!
meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..Thinking Out Loud – Preparing For BlizzardMy Profile

5 Lucie@FitSwissChick January 2, 2014 at 4:27 am

I LOOOOVE jeggins. I have about 10 pairs of them!! So perfect. Though I must say that the new leggins line from Zara almost beats them. They are a little thicker than normal leggins and kind of work like Spanx. Perfect :-)
Yay for your birthday soon! What did you decide in terms of cake? I wish I could be there with you and celebrate your glorious self.
I don’t have any resolutions either. I do have some goals here and there, but I set them when I feel like and not at the beginning of the year, or week, or month – if I want to change something, I start today.
Happy Thursday love!
Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted..NYE recap & 5 Tips for working out early morningMy Profile

6 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Starting when I feel like I need to see a change is how I go about doing it too — no need to wait for some big day. And my cake will be chocolate for sure, but I’m still working out the final details There are just too many good options to decide between!

7 Hollie January 2, 2014 at 4:40 am

I really enjoy the wordpress stats. I always find it so interesting.

I don’t own any jeggings but really I don’t care for jeans in the first place so tight jeans are not quite my style either LOL.

Happy early birthday!
Hollie recently posted..2014 GoalsMy Profile

8 Alex @ therunwithin January 2, 2014 at 5:24 am

eek your birthday is so close!!!!! so excited for you. just seeing that silpat makes me think of meringues which makes me want them right now. And it is 7:25 in the morning… haha
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..TOT: No, Not Tater TotsMy Profile

9 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves January 2, 2014 at 5:24 am

Happy early birthday!! It’s lookin’ like you’ve been celebrating well :) I love it when I find the perfect pair of jeans— and I think almost all my jeans are jeggings. Shhh.
I also agree with #8 completely.
Yay to more savoury recipes!
Since I didn’t do a ToL post myself today, one random thought of the day is that I’m bummed to be back in school today. I’m glad it’s only a two day week, but really? BUT there might be a snow day tomorrow :D
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Quads on Fire Home Workout {VIDEO!}My Profile

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Confession: I’m kind of looking forward to getting back into a normal work/school routine. The holidays are a wonderful time, but I’m craving some more normalcy! And I wish we got snow days in Canada :lol:

11 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves January 2, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Routine and normalcy are definitely good reasons to be back at it. And yes, my parents tell me that we’re wusses when it comes to snow days. They talk about walking in several feet of snow to school!

12 Ksenija @ With An Open Mind January 2, 2014 at 6:06 am

Sounds like a bunch of great ideas to start of 2014. Cheers to not giving up chocolate and posting more savory recipes ;) both are on my list of resolutions too! Another one: finally make time to take part in this new ToL party. I’ve been missing out for far too long.
Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted..Top 10 Recipes 2013My Profile

13 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl January 2, 2014 at 6:14 am

I would love to see your savory recipes. I am a lot like you and I’m drawn more to the sweet treats, but we all need to eat lunch and dinner, right? Glad you’re having a great b-day week!! I’ve been wanting a silpat mat so bad and I love that scarf. Thanks so much for hosting!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

14 Megan @ Meg Go Run January 2, 2014 at 6:15 am

I totally get what you’re saying about being either black or white. That is how I am wired as well. I work really hard to not be that way, and I’m doing better, but it is definitely the way I naturally am.
Megan @ Meg Go Run recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #2My Profile

15 Heather @fitncookies January 2, 2014 at 6:17 am

Wordpress didn’t email me my top posts! How rude ;) Haha j/k.. that’s so fun to know, though! I’m with you on the new years resolution thing.. Loving the week of birthday celebrations! Those jeggings look great on you. Hopefully the weather warms up a bit, but if not, I can’t wait to hear plan b
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Why I Don’t Have New Years ResolutionsMy Profile

16 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I think it’s actually a Jetpack for Wordpress thing, but you can always look up your top posts in your stats!

17 Allison @ Life's a Bowl January 2, 2014 at 6:20 am

Love that you celebrate birthday week too – my birthday countdown starts on September 1st and lasts through September 27th… It drives my family bonkers :P We desperately need a potato masher too – we’ve been using a meat tenderizer for at least 2 years, ha!
Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Lobster Dinner & Pickle Shots for BreakfastMy Profile

18 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I was just using a fork, which lead to some pretty chunky mashed potatoes :lol: And back in the day when I didn’t have a meat tenderizer, I’d just use a bottle to pound my chicken… Oh man was that an accident waiting to happen :shock:

19 Karey @ Nutty About Health January 2, 2014 at 6:24 am

Minion magnets?! So cool!! I have been LOVING dates lately too… nature’s candy! Have you ever tried them dipped in coconut butter? So yummy! It’s my usual morning pre-workout fuel. ;)
Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted..WIAW: NYE EatsMy Profile

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I haven’t tried coconut butter, but I love them with almond butter. Heck, what -don’t- I love with AB though…

21 Elise @ 9toFit.com January 2, 2014 at 6:26 am

I seriously wish I used WordPress, I feel like blogger doesn’t give us any of the cool features wordpress does UGH.. I need to look into making a switch
Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted..5 Reasons You Need the New Ab Training Plan & Some Winners!My Profile

22 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I’d definitely recommend it! Everyone I know who’s done it has been super happy that they did; and it’s not all that complicated to do.

23 Sarah January 2, 2014 at 6:27 am

I love the wordpress yearly stats email too. I don’t look at my stats ever anymore but that. Was interesting to see. As for resolutions, I’m not big on them either. I feel like it’s setting yourself up for disappointment since. I personally can’t keep them and end up forgetting about them a few days in. I’d rather just keep living life the way it is, sans goals. I hope birthday week continues to be good to you :)
Sarah recently posted..New year confessionsMy Profile

24 Jen @ SavedbytheKale January 2, 2014 at 6:31 am

I am right there with you on AE jeggings. I own a pair of them and they are my absolute favorite! Comfy and cute! :) Love that scarf from Tiny Devotions! I’m glad that you are enjoying Birthday week :)
Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #4My Profile

25 Ms.J January 2, 2014 at 6:42 am

Yes to more savory! Um ok, so I feel like I’m trying to two-time my humungous sweet tooth, but if your past savory recipes are anything to go by they will be stellar I’m sure of it. <3 jeggings..I think most of my pants wardrobe is made up of the comfy buggers. But now I need a distressed pair! I haven't eaten dates in way too long..they used to make a regular appearance chopped into my oats and topped with nut butter awhile back..
Ms.J recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #4My Profile

26 Chelsea January 2, 2014 at 6:46 am

Happppy birthday week! I love all of your birthday week gifts so far! :) I’m really not one to my resolutions either. And Dates? The greatest things, ever.
Chelsea recently posted..Thinking Out Loud : 01/02/2014My Profile

27 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 2, 2014 at 6:57 am

I won the commenting game! :-p P.S. you were number 2 on mine <3
And as for savoury recipes, I say go for it. As much as I love my sweet things, once in a while I need something with a vegetable in it, too :-p
And to be honest, I don't think I've ever bought anything from AE. I got it into my head that I didn't like that store when I was in high school, and apparently that bias has continued. Apparently I'm missing out? But yes, jeggings are definitely fabulous.
Ahhh almost birthday!!! :-D
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Rehashing December.My Profile

28 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:54 pm

#2?!?!?! Who the heck beat me?! And AE is one of those stores that I kind of shrugged off for the longest time as well, but you just can’t argue with an amazing fitting pair of pants — there’s seriously no better confidence booster.

29 Cori @ olivetorun January 2, 2014 at 6:59 am

Today’s randomness…. just a quote from billy…
Back to school. Back to school, to prove to Dad that I’m not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don’t get in a fight. Ohhhh, back to school. Back to school. Back to school. Well, here goes nothing.

Happy New Year!
Cori @ olivetorun recently posted..Would You Rather Running Style Survey #7My Profile

30 Cassie January 2, 2014 at 7:05 am

I like using resolutions to work on routines. But I also do this all year long, just at the new year. I did add ones that will really support me in my journey this year though: more meditation and some blog themes throughout the week! Happy New Year!
Cassie recently posted...thinking out loud. #4My Profile

31 Becky January 2, 2014 at 7:09 am

American Eagle jeans fit me really well too! I have never heard of jeggings, I need to check those out. :) Oh and I definitely think you should post more recipes! I love reading new ones!
Becky recently posted..Surprise, Surprise!My Profile

32 Sarah January 2, 2014 at 7:09 am

Yes to more savoury recipes. Your meals always look so good.
I am the same way when it comes to mind set. I have learned over many, many years I never wake up on January first a brand new person. Change takes effort, there is no magic to an arbitrary day.
Enjoying the Thursday Thinking Out Loud series.
Keep lapping up your birthday week!

33 Autumn January 2, 2014 at 7:12 am

Yes to more savory/snack recipes!! But be sure to keep the sweet ones coming! I have a bear of a sweet tooth that needs its fixin every so often and your recipes are the perfect cure =)

34 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:57 pm

The sweet ones w ill definitely keep making an appearance! After all… what’s dinner without a little dessert? :)

35 Autumn January 3, 2014 at 9:36 am

i would just plain call that not supper! :)

36 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 2, 2014 at 7:14 am

Loving your distressed skinny jeans! I found some cute things from AE a few weeks ago when they were having a major sale too. Love when that happens! ;)

I’m with you on the whole New Year’s resolutions thing. I do feel a little more refreshed and ready to pick up my game with some stuff come the new year, but I don’t make resolutions per say. I feel like I’m constantly making new goals throughout the year, and that’s enough for me.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..01/02/13: Thursday ThoughtsMy Profile

37 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change January 2, 2014 at 7:28 am

Love the idea for entrees and savory snacks – it would probably help me spark more ideas instead of thinking of desserts and sweets all the time! I’m so happy to be back blogging…I think it might be a rough start since I should figure out a ‘post’ plan, so hopefully NEXT Thursday, I’ll have something ready to link up!
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..Guess Who?!My Profile

38 Catherine @ foodiecology January 2, 2014 at 7:36 am

As awesome as your desserts are, yes, I’d love to see more savory dishes.
Go figure, AE skinnies & jeggings are the best fit I’ve found, too.
Happy almost-birthday!
Catherine @ foodiecology recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #3My Profile

39 Amy@Long Drive Journey January 2, 2014 at 7:49 am

I wonder why I didn’t get Wordpress stats!! That’s such a cool feature that I didn’t even know about!!

AE jeggings are AMAZING! They fit me PERFECTLY. I bought a pair in black, though, and they are so stretchy (and comfortable) that holes are starting to form in them. I think the material is too thin. That’s put a stop to me buying them, but I’m sure the jean material is still fine!
Amy@Long Drive Journey recently posted..Light Southern CornbreadMy Profile

40 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Oh noes! Do you use Jetpack? Because I think it was a plugin that did it. And I bought a pair of the black ones and definitely noticed that they’re a little on the thin side, but it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for an awesomely comfy pair of pants… and thankfully they’re not -too- expensive.

41 Caitlin January 2, 2014 at 8:06 am

Ahh yes love AE jeans too! Only jeans I own at the moment…so comfy and cute and affordable :P It looks like your bday week has been awesome so far! Colder temps are hitting us today, too, so I don’t blame you for canceling your snowboard plans…i don’t really want to be anywhere near outside for the near future! I would love to see more savory recipes from you, too! Your baking ones are awesome, and I fully believe your other ones will be equally delightful :)

42 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 2, 2014 at 8:12 am

I LOVE my potato masher! But to be honest…I actually use it to mash avocado FAR more than I use it for potatoes ;).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Happy New Year!My Profile

43 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Mind.blown. I honestly never would have thought of using it for that…

44 Nicole @ FruitnFitness January 2, 2014 at 8:16 am

I love when you post recipes so of course I selfishly like reading that your going to be posting more :) I like the whole week of birthdays, especially if despicable me minions are involved.
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..The cold cabins and new yearsMy Profile

45 Ang @ Nutty for Life January 2, 2014 at 8:45 am

I only wear AEO jeggings as well! I love them, they are the only ones that fit me just right. And I totally agree with the whole blogging interaction thing. Once people started interacting with me on my blog, writing posts, etc became 100x more enjoyable. I love hearing people’s opinions and forming online friendships and that’s why I am sticking around!
Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted..A Happy Birthday & PlanksMy Profile

46 Heather @ The Soulful Spoon January 2, 2014 at 8:46 am

Happy New Year to you sweet girl!!:) I need some of those jeggings, oh my gosh! LOVE LOVE LOVE! I swear, new comfy clothes make me so happy<3 My favorite thing about your blog this year was FINDING IT!!!:) The connection we've made has been so special to me and I love having you as a new friend! Happy New Year Amanda!<3
Heather @ The Soulful Spoon recently posted..My Take Thursday: Creating A Better Version of MyselfMy Profile

47 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Right back at ya, lovely lady. Love.you.tonnes <3

48 Parita @ myinnershakti January 2, 2014 at 9:12 am

Happy New Year! I totally agree with you on #8…couldn’t have said it better myself! Here’s to us living our lives and taking things day by day. :)

49 Alex@Veggin' Out January 2, 2014 at 9:13 am

I seriously need to check out those jeggings! They sound like the absolute BEST of both worlds.
I also really need to try the protein fudge bars. What brand protein powder do you use? There are some that I really want to try, but I’m always afraid that I’ll spend a fortune on a big tub of it and won’t like it (it has happened before :( )… but I really want to try some because I see so many great recipes that use it, and I think it would be a handy item to keep around!
I’ll try to wish you happy birthday on your actual birthday, but just in case I forget (which I’m sorry in advance if I do), happy [early] birthday!! <3
Alex@Veggin’ Out recently posted..WIAW – 5k FuelMy Profile

50 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Alex! It can definitely be hard to keep track of all the blogger birthdays out there. And the powder I use is Proteins+ by Genuine Health. It’s just a basic whey without a lot of crazy additives. We’re kind of limited with what we can find here in Canada, but I’m super thankful to have found one that works for me.

51 Kim @ Racing Bananas January 2, 2014 at 9:19 am

Yay for January birthdays (mine is at the end of the month, so I’m a little biased, hehe). I’ve never tried AE jeggings, but they look cute and comfy! Might have to make my way to the mall today…
Kim @ Racing Bananas recently posted..New Years 2013!My Profile

52 Yoojin January 2, 2014 at 9:52 am

yes! more savory recipes please! one of my favorite meals is the pumpkin scramble from you :)
Yoojin recently posted..dinner & dessert.My Profile

53 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life January 2, 2014 at 10:26 am

I really want some jeggings! Actually, I want a lot of new clothes. I’m at that awkward time where I’m too old to just wear jeans and a tshirt every day like I used to (plus that’s no fun) but I’m too young to dress professional. Plus, Montana is way too cold for anything cute. Haha!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..DIY: Photo Canvas with Lifted WordsMy Profile

54 Davida @ The Healthy Maven January 2, 2014 at 10:35 am

Mission in life. Make your top commenters list! Starting NOW. Bring it on Spoons.
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..Detox Kale SaladMy Profile

55 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Oh it’s on, Maven. Don’t be surprised if I start spamming your posts just to make the list ;)

56 Andrea @ PencilsandPancakes January 2, 2014 at 10:39 am

I love American Eagle’s pants!
Andrea @ PencilsandPancakes recently posted..Since when is being healthy unhealthy?My Profile

57 Miss Polkadot January 2, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Awwr, thanks for the mention! It’s hard NOT to comment when there’s so much inspiration, food for thought and deliciousness coming from your side.
Jeggins, yes! They’re pretty much the only pants I’ll ever wear [though even them not regularly] as a generally dress + tights girl. And that scarf is so pretty! I just -had- to click over to their store – and now I wish I hadn’t because they have so many great items and I can’t get them over here.
It looks like you were really celebrating birthday week in style – perfect!
Don’t feel like #8 was too serious for a post like this. After all, I guess the only ‘rule’ would be to share what’s on your mind and being honest in letting thoughts like this out, too, is just right. It IS on your mind right now after all. And yes, not making any resolutions at all seems like a good way to avoid the pressure. That’s why I haven’t set any ‘real’ resolutions for myself, either. Honestly, how much different from any other month is the start of January? Why not set smaller monthly goals slowly working towards the changes we want to achieve? Also, I may not know everything about you but I’d say there’s no need for you to feel you should wake up as a new perfect person – you’re great just the way you are <3.
Oh, and to answer your questions: yes, more savoury recipes in addition to the already awesome sweet ones would be nice. Do what feels right for you!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Thinking out loud #4My Profile

58 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Your sweet comments always make me smile :) Thank you for being awesome, Miss <3

59 emma @ be mom strong January 2, 2014 at 12:40 pm

recipes are always a good thing!

60 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate January 2, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I am so obsessed with date right now also. They are seriously candy. Can’t. Get. Enough.

I’m glad birthday week is going well! Even if you got cheated a few chocolates. ;-)
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Best of 2013My Profile

61 karla @ finding my fit January 2, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I need to pick up a huge thing of dates. I’m doing paleo to see if it helps my stomach and the sweet tooth is killing me!
karla @ finding my fit recently posted..Let’s talk about Me, Let’s talk about I.My Profile

62 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Dates would definitely be an amazing choice! They’re nature’s candy :)

63 Kim January 2, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I’ll have to go check out AE! I have such a hard time finding jeans that fit me properly. This might be a weird question, but how tall are you? I have a hard time finding pants sometimes because I’m 5’7″ but have long legs…regulars are sometimes too short, but long sizes are WAY too long! So happy to see a blogger than has an early January birthday. Mine is January 9th and whenever my family asks what I want or need I literally have no suggestions. I keep asking my husband if we can celebrate it in July instead, haha.
Kim recently posted..2014 GoalsMy Profile

64 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 4:17 pm

No such thing as a weird question in the blog world — I feel like we share some of the strangest deets here :lol: And I’m 5’9… so I definitely feel you on the pant length pain. The ones from AE do fit really well though.

65 Sarah @ Sweet Miles January 2, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Just found out about this link up! Might have to join next time!!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Easy Breakfast Quiche Recipe via PWMy Profile

66 Anna January 2, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I love that you do birthday week- I do it too! Looks like you’re getting some excellent little gifts there! I’ve heard those baking mats are amazing.

And I also love AE jeans. All of mine are from there because I can always count on their sizes and styles. Most jeans are always way too long on me and I love that AE has a “short” option. The only thing that makes me sad is when I fall in love with a pair and they no longer have them after the season is over!

Have an amazing birthday and an incredible time snowboarding! (or whatever plan B ends up being :)
Anna recently posted..Thinking Out Loud {1/2/14}My Profile

67 Danica @ It's Progression January 2, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I rarely buy jeans but when I do I shop at AE, too. They’re cheap (in comparison) and last a long time!
And YAAY for early birthday gifts! :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..2014 GoalsMy Profile

68 Sarah January 2, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Those jeans are super cute!! Have you tried making sticky-date pudding?- it’s fabulous :) Your Birthday week sounds like it is going very well- so excited for you! I have been Very stressed, this crazy guy has been twitter stalking me and it got really bad so I blocked him- it really freaked me out and made me feel scared, he threw an abusive fit when I blocked him too- I only post things on peace and environmental issues and yet a creep still found me! Ugh- trying to let it fall away. I hope tommorow is much better! Happy Thursday Birthday Girl :)

69 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Oh I’m sorry, Sarah :( As wonderful as the online community can be, there are definitely some less-than-pleasant aspects of it. I hope everything works out okay!

70 Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run January 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Writing a post today!! :)

71 Ellie@Fit for the soul January 2, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Ohhh I can’t wait to see what else you got up your sleeves, Amanda! It seems like we all love to see your beautiful sweet creations, so keep ‘em coming. :D And I had no idea about those stats….I may have a blog and all, but I definitely am not up to date with everything related to it. I only know a few of its features but that’s about it. Haha!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..A Bed&Breakfast DateMy Profile

72 Arman @ thebigmansworld January 2, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I cannot believe you got jibbed in the advent calendar- Fail. Whale. So my mum has a potato masher but I honestly thought it was a hair brush….

As someone who has made several savoury spoons recipes to success (beef rouladen, hummus pizza) I say go for it- they have not disappointed!

You reckon I could rock a pair of jeggings ;) It can go with the makeup from your post yesterday. sahh hawhhht.
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..He thinks/She thinks- Changes Part 1- CareersMy Profile

73 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I’m 99.99% sure you could rock the look. We could ever run a potato masher through your hair to make you look extra polished ;)

74 Ashley @ BrocBlog January 2, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Yay to the recipes! One of my resolutions is to cook a new recipe once a month – baking not included. I want to learn how to make real meals this year like chicken and stuff. Can you tell how kitchen illiterate I am based on this comment?
Ashley @ BrocBlog recently posted..Run This YearMy Profile

75 Carly @ Snack Therapy January 2, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Wahhooooo, two more days! Birthdays are just the best. I am so glad we found each other’s blogs this past year. Hopefully we’ll be able to meet in person sometime during 2014 :)?
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..My ResolutionMy Profile

76 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 4:26 pm

YES! If Blend is happening this year, I’ll definitely be going… so you better be there!

77 Alice @ Daily Sweet Potato January 2, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I can’t tell if I’m more savory or sweet. Personally, up until I read healthy living blogs, I didn’t even know what savory meant…. Hope your birthday week is going well and I’m with you about returning to normalcy, BUT I’m pretty sure I will be regretting that as soon as Monday rolls around. ;)
Alice @ Daily Sweet Potato recently posted..Happy New Year + Blogger Goals!My Profile

78 Carroll January 2, 2014 at 4:37 pm

First love those Silpats!! And AE jeggings, the only pants I wear! And that scarf is amazing! I don’t make New Years resolutions either, I think everyday or month or week can be a new start if you want it. I like any new recipes you can make ☺️

79 Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach January 2, 2014 at 4:42 pm

AE Jeggings are amazing! I had a pair of black ones that I just threw out. I wore them to work religiously for over a year that they started fading and looking gross so I tossed them but I will definitely be venturing back for more!
Can’t wait to hear about your birthday celebration…whatever it is that you end up doing, I’m sure it will be amazing! xo
Maria @ Pappa Don’t Preach recently posted..Thinking Out Loud – New Year, Some ThoughtsMy Profile

80 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I have a feeling that I’ll end up wearing mine out as well, but at least they’re relatively cheap — especially if you pick them up during a sale!

81 Alex @ Kenzie Life January 2, 2014 at 6:07 pm

The almond butter protein bars were amazing! I think I made them about 5 or 6 times and they made the perfect breakfast :) Happy 2014, Amanda!
Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted..Alternatives to New Year’s ResolutionsMy Profile

82 Laura January 2, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Although it’s killing the alliteration of Thursdays are for Thinking out Loud, I think I’m going to do a “Friday is for thinking out loud…but just this one”.

Yay to savory recipes! I can always find a good sweet recipe to make when I’m craving sugar but lunches and dinners still leave me lost for ideas!.
Laura recently posted..2013My Profile

83 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I’ll let it slide… but just because it’s you ;)

84 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen January 2, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I feel so excited to be one of your top commenters! I can’t believe Sam beat me though… I need to step up my game apparently. :P

I’m seriously obsessed with dates too. I just pop them like candy!
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..The best of 2013My Profile

85 Amusingly Quirky January 2, 2014 at 7:31 pm

It’s so hard finding a pair of jeans that fit properly. I might give jeggings a whirl. I’m a huge foodie so of course I’m going to say YAY to more entrees and savory recipes.
Happy Early Birthday to you!
Amusingly Quirky recently posted..A Simple Theme For The New Year: DaringMy Profile

86 Heather Murphy January 2, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Love the scarf! I am the same way with resolutions. It gives me anxiety and sets me up for failure. I like to think of the New Year as a fresh start, but I don’t put any pressure on myself to be perfect!
Heather Murphy recently posted..Nine foolproof ways to feel confident and sexier than ever this year.My Profile

87 kristen @ verbs and vignettes January 2, 2014 at 9:10 pm

have I mentioned how much I love that you host this lovely thursday of ours?? :p

and I’d love to see whatever non-sweets you want to post! happy new year to you and the blog.
kristen @ verbs and vignettes recently posted..thinking out loud // 2My Profile

88 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 3, 2014 at 7:27 am

They are quickly becoming my favourite days :) Happy New Year, Kristen!

89 Jess January 2, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Scarf, jeggins and minions… LOVE THEM ALL! Happy new year!
Jess recently posted..Quick Happy New YearMy Profile

90 Runner Girl Eats January 3, 2014 at 4:11 am

Love the scarf! Hope you have a very happy birthday :)
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Seven miles of rain and coyotes.My Profile

91 Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut January 3, 2014 at 9:34 am

Happy Birthday, Amanda! Apparently WordPress doesn’t claim me because they haven’t sent me stats yet. I don’t think…ha!

I always post more dessert recipes! I would, however, love to see more meal recipes from you!

Happy 2014! :)
Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted..Best of 2013: RecipesMy Profile

92 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli January 3, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Yay to more savory dishes! Or better yet, sweet AND savory! You know I’m a fan…one of your TOP FIVE fans to be exact! Yipeeeee! :D

And I just want to say that too serious or not (which I don’t think it was), I’m glad you brought up your thoughts on resolutions…I feel the same way. A friend of mine asked me the other day if I made any resolutions and I told him, “Nah, I don’t really like to set myself up for failure” Haha! I can’t help it…try as I might to overcome my perfectionism, there are just certain things that will always stay with me. I like the feeling of a fresh start, but I know that at the stroke of midnight, I’m not going to automatically transform into another person.
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Ten Things I Love About SpoonsMy Profile

93 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 3, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Ugh… the perfectionism gets me too… But I think that a big part of overcoming perfectionism and achieving goals is realizing that failure is a normal part of the process.

94 Jordan January 3, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I completely agree with you about American Eagle jeggings. They are my absolutely favorite, they always fit perfectly!
Jordan recently posted..It’s a snow day!My Profile

95 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate January 3, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Mkay my new life goal is to get on that most active commenters list…time up give my commenting mojo a kick in the butt (aka stop putting off commenting for “later” just because I am incompetent at using my Iphone keypad…).
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Link Love: Body, Mind, and Soul FoodMy Profile

96 Cassie January 3, 2014 at 8:49 pm

AH I do social media for AEO this post just made my day – I’m going to have to send to my work account to share tomorrow :) SO glad you love our jeggings – they’re my fave fit too!
Cassie recently posted..Spill It Sunday [3]: 2013 RecapMy Profile

97 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2014 at 8:31 am

No kidding?! Ohhh lucky lady! I’m smitten.

98 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 5, 2014 at 9:24 am

I would love to see some more savory recipes on Spoons. I need to do some more veggiefied entrees on Clean Eats too. I was shocked to see I was lacking in this area. It will be a 2014 resolution, which no surprise I love. For me, it’s just another good excuse to write a list. I love the actual art of writing lists, but I really don’t put pressure on myself to actually accomplish everything. It’s just a way for me to jot down what’s running through my mind.
Now onto very important things. I believe today is your birthday so…cough, cough, ahem, ahem….Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear Amanda. Happy Birthday to you. Let’s pretend that was in tune.