. thinking out loud #48 .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on October 10, 2013

After having to skip out on the randomness last week, it feels extra good to be back at it today! :mrgreen:

Thinking-Out-Loud

1. I honestly can’t believe there was a time in my life where I thought that pumpkins were only for carving and squash was only for decor. In my defense, that’s pretty much how things went down when I was growing up — it wasn’t until I discovered healthy living blogs that my veil of ignorance was lifted. All I can say is thank goodness for that.

Kabocha Squash

2. Speaking of decor, I spent some time adding little fall touches to my home last weekend…

Pumpkin Decor

Orange Sticks
Window Sticks

Fall Potpourri

Wood Flowers

… but, really, besides Christmastime, my home pretty much always feels like fall. I’m big on neutral palettes with warm accents, prefer bunches of dried twiggy branches to colourful flowers, and love mixing beat up classic pieces with more contemporary ones. My home radiates calm, and that’s how I like/need it.

3. Also on the “need list?” A donut pan. Why? To make recipes like this…

Banana Chocolate Chip Doughnuts
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts

Banana Chocolate Chip Baked Donuts // Baked Cinnamon Sugar Mini Donuts

I’ve been craving donuts like crazy lately, but finding a place to buy ‘em that’s allergy-friendly is a bit of a challenge. I’ve been meaning to pick up a pan so that I can make my own, but I keep forgetting whenever I walk into a store.

4. At least I always remember the cinnamon…

Stockpiling Cinnamon

Oh, don’t give me that look — it was on sale! And don’t ask how long those’ll last me for because it’s kind of embarrassing how quickly I go through them…

5. In non food related shopping news, I took a trip to the mall earlier this week…

Old Navy Sweaters

Ankle Boots

Beauty Buys

I didn’t manage to find any coloured skinnies (drat!), but I guess I made out alright ;) Two sweaters from Old Navy in an attempt to add a little colour to my otherwise black, gray, and brown wardrobe; Humbeline ankle booties from Aldo (thanks for the inspo, Lisa!) because the only boots I had were knee-high; LaVanila deodorant and Ole Henriksen 3 Little Wonders from Sephora because I needed the first and wanted to experiment with the second.

6. Speaking of experimenting, I need to get my butt into the kitchen and start doing some. You know how I mentioned that I’m in charge of dessert for Thanksgiving? Well, it’s right around the corner (Monday for us Canadians), and I still have no idea what I want to make. The problem is  that no one in my family is a big fan of pumpkin/pecan pie — myself included. Since that’s basically the epitome of Thanksgiving dessert, I’m kind of at a loss for what else to make. Oh bother.

7.  I know I already mentioned this one in my last “Currently” post, but it deserves another shout-out…

8. The return of random facts! Gosh do I love these things…

RF Saliva Pools

RF Alien Insurance

RF Couch Lava

RF Never Odd

RF Long Pregnancy

1. The image that that conjures in my mind is not a pleasant one.
2. Drat it! I knew I was forgetting something the last time I renewed my insurance…
3. #truth. iPads and computer games got nothing on couch cushions.
4. Mind = blown.
5. Can.you.even.imagine… :shock: :shock: :shock: Beulah Hunter in 1945.

9. Speaking of pregnancy… whoaaaa that’s probably not one of the smartest ways to start a sentence. Before your mind runs away with you, no, I’m not pregnant (you can calm down now Mom… J). What I am is super excited for Tiff, who just had her beautiful baby boy last week! I’ve been reading Tiff’s blog for years, and I literally had a fit when I found out about her surprise birth. I’m not even joking — I was over at my parents’ for dinner and squeed out loud, probably scaring everyone in the process. It’s amazing how close and attached you can become to the people that you spend so much time reading about online. The world is definitely changing…

10. Happy Thursday, friends! Rock its socks off! :D

Did anyone grow up eating squash and pumpkin? Or were you deprived until later in life?
Do you like donuts? What’s your favourite kind?
What’s a good Thanksgiving dessert that’s not pumpkin/pecan pie?

1 Davida @ The Healthy Maven October 10, 2013 at 6:00 am

Those heels are AMAZING! Also how cute is Ethan? I’m so excited for Tiff!

I grew up roasting pumpkin seeds with my family and it’s one of my favourite halloween traditions. Maybe this year I’ll be brave enough to actually eat the real pumpkin because my canned purchasing is getting a bit out of control!
Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted..Learning To WalkMy Profile

2 Heather @TheSoulfulSpoon October 10, 2013 at 6:00 am

I loved seeing this post!:) We are so much alike, it kind of freaked me out! I know we don’t know each other, but you have three of the SAME decorating items I have in our house, I have almost as many fall decorations as Christmas, and those boots- SO ME. Every year I get a new pair of black boots and promise not to get another the next year, yet alas, I do!:) Oh and by the way- that’s my favorite cinnamon brand. It is so good! I go through a container about every three weeks:) I hope you have a great Thanksgiving! I can’t wait to see what you make<3 Blessing!<3
Heather @TheSoulfulSpoon recently posted..Frozen Pumpkin Latte Smoothie – Gluten-Free,Soy-Free, Sugar-FreeMy Profile

3 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I have the same exact problem with boots (and jackets). I swear… this time of the year doesn’t do my wallet any favours, but the fashion is one of my favourite parts of the season.

4 Ashley {Whole Foods New Body} October 10, 2013 at 6:13 am

So you only wear brown and black too?? I feel much better! I am trying to add color into my wardrobe as well….BUT it is SO hard for me! So does that deodorant work well??? I have been looking to switch to a more natural deodorant but didn’t know which to choose!! Oh and those booties are FAB!

5 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Well… brown, black, and gray ;) But yeah, not a lot of colour in my wardrobe. And I’ve been using this brand of deodorant for a little over a year now and I have no complaints. There’s a lot of sketchiness with aluminum in deodorant, so definitely make the switch to a healthier one!

6 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles October 10, 2013 at 6:28 am

I love all of your fall decorations! The only season I get really into decorating (either my room at school or at home) is Christmas. Hanging up lights and streamers, putting up the tree, listening to Christmas music for weeks on end…for me, there’s nothing better. :) Donut pans exist?!? Since when?! Ever since my sister and I had elephant ears at the fair over the summer, we decided that we wanted to fry some dough…maybe I’ll ask for a donut pan for Christmas. (You know you’re not a kid anymore when…)
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..The Most Random Thursday Thoughts Post You Will Ever ReadMy Profile

7 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm

They do exist! You can get them in regular or MINI (!!!) size. And girl, just wait until you get your own place… you’ll be asking for things like bed sheets and dinnerware. Le sigh… to be a kid again.

8 Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 10, 2013 at 6:37 am

That first random fact temporarily distracted me from all other thoughts related to your post today! haha sooo nasty. Alright back to business.
I ADORE those boots and I bet you look real hawt (why yes I am spelling hot in such a fashion ;) ) in them! If I wore those shoes, I would be well over 6’1″, aka reaching giant territory. I would only where them if I was going out with someone equally tall :)
I’m actually not a big fan of pumpkin pie either (surprisingly with all of the other pumpkin/squash love), but what about another kind of pie? Apple perhaps? Or apple bars of some sort with a crumb topping? I will be testing an apple recipe today as a matter of fact, as I am also in charge of dessert on the holiday! Though ours is a bit farther away
I am sure anything you make will be glorious ms Amanda!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- Eating The FoodMy Profile

9 Kim@hungryhealthygirl October 10, 2013 at 6:39 am

All of your Fall decor looks great! I buy a large container of cinnamon from Cosco, so don’t feel bad. ;-)
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Copycat Panera Bread’s Autumn Squash Soup (vegan, Paleo and gluten-free)My Profile

10 Taryn October 10, 2013 at 6:40 am

My mom attempted squash ONCE when I was younger. It was so bad that we gave it to our dog and even he wouldn’t eat it. So gross.

I bought a donut pan months ago and have only used it once, but it was awesome. You’ve actually inspired me to make something else in it.. maybe pumpkin donuts this time!

Apple pie! As much as I LOVE pumpkin, something about the consistency of pumpkin pie has always freaked me out. Apple pie is a Thanksgiving staple in my house.
Taryn recently posted..An Exciting WednesdayMy Profile

11 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 10, 2013 at 6:45 am

I love your decor and that little squash ornament is divine! :-)
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..The case of the comparison trapMy Profile

12 Kelly @ Femme Fitale October 10, 2013 at 6:50 am

I ate so much squash as a small child that my skin pigment took on a yellowish tinge. True story. This is not a myth. I then did not eat squash again until last year! :)

By the way, I took your bloggy advice and ordered LaVanila deodorant. It’s honestly changed my life!!! I’ll be mentioning it in a blog post soon (i.e.: tomorrow). It’s not here in Australia, and if it weren’t for you, I would never have heard of it. So, a big thank you from me and my armpits. :P
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..It’s Okay To Skip A Workout…SometimesMy Profile

13 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm

:lol: That seriously made me laugh out loud — I’m glad you’re enjoying it ;)

14 Alex @ Kenzie Life October 10, 2013 at 6:51 am

I never knew people ate pumpkins in anything other than pumpkin pie until I lived in Australia in high school. The family I lived with would cut them up and bake them. They were pretty good! I want a donut pan as well after seeing Ashley’s baked donut recipes all over the blogosphere! Some of my best memories are from my first year in recovery when my boyfriend at the time and I would go get donuts and coffee….chocolate cake and sprinkles for me!
Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted..Thoughts On College and Eating DisordersMy Profile

15 Sarah @pickyrunner October 10, 2013 at 6:54 am

Wow your house is way more decorated than I could ever dream of doing. I don’t know how to make things look good together but I’d say you nailed it :) Donut pans are awesome. My roommate and I are actually planning on getting one. Right now we just use muffin pans because it means I can eat the hole in the middle ;)

16 Carly @ Snack Therapy October 10, 2013 at 6:56 am

Those ankle booties are straight up sexy. Love ‘em.

That pregnancy fact freaks me out. 17 months?! I don’t even understand. So confused. And kind of terrified, as well.

And you should make something CHOCOLATE for Thanksgiving. Maybe some cookies? :). Ooo, ooo, I know! Pumpkin dark chocolate chip cookies. Boom. You’re welcome.
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..Self-likeMy Profile

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:33 pm

!!! I’m not sure about -cookies- but you definitely got my wheels turning with the pumpkin & chocolate chip combo. Yes. Yes this could be good…

18 Heather Murphy October 10, 2013 at 7:00 am

I love your decorations! It reminds me of my style. I am a fan of donuts, but the totally horrible for you kind. I hardly ever eat them, except of vacation! Banana pudding is always a great option for a holiday dessert.
Heather Murphy recently posted..Legs and booty circuitMy Profile

19 Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. October 10, 2013 at 7:02 am

I’m with you on the donut pan. Those look great. And I like the sweaters.

Today, my Thursday is a Friday. Which is the best kind. ;)
Courtney @ Don’t Blink. Just Run. recently posted..Exciting StuffMy Profile

20 Parita @ myinnershakti October 10, 2013 at 7:03 am

First of all, your house looks gorgeous. This is your official invite to come to Miami and help me. Oh and did I mention I live near the beach?? :)

And I am so excited for Tiff! Ethan is so darn cute! It is funny how much we care about people we’ve never actually met in real life. The world is most definitely changing!

21 Nicole @ FruitnFitness October 10, 2013 at 7:04 am

I was so excited to see that Tiff had Ethan too, and glad they are both doing well with the early and pretty scary birth. My mom always made pumpkin bread, and we would eat acorn squash in the winter but I never tried kabocha, or butternut squash until this past year. Crazy I know! Maybe your bread pudding would be a good option for dessert? Or something with apples?
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..winter squash and leek soupMy Profile

22 Lucie October 10, 2013 at 7:13 am

Loooove the heels!!! I actually just packed very similar ones for our business trip today, but with chunky heels. I just love ankle boots.
And it seems like our music taste goes in the same direction. I LOVE that song.
I explained my Mom today how I roast kabocha squash after she saw me on the street carrying 2 huge kabocha squashs and a butternut squash home. So that means I had no idea that you could eat these babies until….get prepared – THIS year. I only ate pumpkin puree last year when entering the blogging world. And don’t forget, I am 35. 34 years without squash. oi.
Lucie recently posted..Peach Chocolate Yogurt Layer ThingyMy Profile

23 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:36 pm

But you have the excuse of living in Europe! I don’t think it’s as big of a thing over there as it is here, especially with the lack of Thanksgiving. My parents immigrated from Poland a few years before I was born, so I grew up on a pretty traditional European diet — that’s my excuse ;)

24 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee October 10, 2013 at 7:15 am

Your decor is just beautiful! I can’t wait to have my own place again to decorate it. Hmm maybe I should still decorate my room… sorry you didn’t find the skinnies but definitely keep looking they are worth it :)
For Thanksgiving, my mom usually makes her full-fledged (aka totally sugar-ladden) apple crumble. It is delicious! I am a big fan of apple desserts. Also Davida posted a recipe for apple crumble bars that look pretty delish.
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..The Numbers GameMy Profile

25 Samantha @ 10,000 Squats October 10, 2013 at 7:19 am

Love those boots! So cute! I’m making a pumpkin pie for my family’s thanksgiving this weekend so I’m not really of much help. Sorry! Love your random facts, I was all about the lava couches when I was a kid. Haha!
Samantha @ 10,000 Squats recently posted..Week 10: 8lbs Down and Disney Part 1My Profile

26 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 10, 2013 at 7:20 am

Firstly, love your fall decorations and your shopping finds, especially those boots! I kind of have a minor, okay fine…a major boot obsession! ;-)

Come to think of it, the only time we ate pumpkin growing up was in pumpkin pie. I seriously don’t know how I lived without it! I eat it all the time now!

Oh yes, I love donuts. I have 2 favorites – chocolate glazed or a white donut with chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles on the top. Mmmmm!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Apple Crumble PieMy Profile

27 Christina @ Pinch of Healthy October 10, 2013 at 7:27 am

I will have to agree with you on the squash and pumpkin. It was solely used at decor in my house up until maybe 5 years ago when I started experimenting with different foods. Oh and love your decor :)
Christina @ Pinch of Healthy recently posted..No-Bake Almond Fudge Protein BarsMy Profile

28 Beth October 10, 2013 at 7:36 am

I’m another one who grew up thinking pumpkins were only for carving and squash was a fall decoration.

Your home looks so festive and I love your taste!

How about a classic Apple Pie. It is apple season too! Or apple cake.

What are your allergies?

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I have a severe allergy to peanuts, which wouldn’t be that big of an issue if there wasn’t “traces” of it in literally everything…

30 Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles October 10, 2013 at 7:38 am

I always make my apple crisp for Thanksgiving – it works as a side or dessert. With a layer of crisp on the bottom and top, you really can’t beat it! I didn’t eat pumpkin or squash as a kid either so don’t feel bad!
Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..What Are You Waiting For? Start Running!My Profile

31 Miss Polkadot October 10, 2013 at 7:41 am

What a coincidence you’re mentioning it. I’ve been growing up pumpkin-less, too, always wondering if I was the only one. We didn’t even carve any pumpkins let alone eat them. It was shortly before starting to read blogs that I tried red kuri squash [yes, I still remember the variety] for the first time – and fell for it immediately.
Maybe I can’t vouch for it being a typical Thanksgiving dessert because we don’t celebrate it over here. But you can never ever go wrong with Apple Crumble. We usually sub some of the (white) flour with whole wheat making it one of the few occasions where everybody in my family agrees (a little) ‘healthier’ tastes better, too :).
Oh, and you’d make me feel better if I knew I wasn’t alone in the speed I grow through those cinnamon jars/bags [for me] :).
Also: I haven’t forgotten about the reply to your last mail. It’s coming along :).
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Swapping fear with curiosityMy Profile

32 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 10, 2013 at 7:42 am

So, i’m going to come to see your condo so I can get decoration inspiration (because I reaaaaaaally have no idea what i’m doing for that kinda thing. Right now, the giant tub of sour keys is sitting in the centre of the coffee table basically acting as inspiration, if that’s any indication) and I’ll bring my donut pan and we can bake some fabulous donuts. Deal? I think so.
And I adore those boots!! I have similar ones, but I need new knee-high boots. Must get on that soon. Are the deals decent at Aldo right now? Oh and p.s., your mention of coloured skinnies inspired me to wear my purple ones when I went to school on Tuesday…you need to find yourself a pair, they’re pretty fun :-p
I don’t remember eating squash as a kid either…even sweet potatoes only came out around Thanksgiving when my grandma would make mashed sweet potatoes with a pecan and brown sugar crumble topping (note to self: recreate). Oh blogs, what would I do without you? (not eat nearly as well as I do now, clearly).
Annnnd I’m planning on making an apple cake with a caramel glaze for my family thanksgiving, but I don’t have mine until the 19th.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Roasted Buttercup Squash and Pumpkin Soup.My Profile

33 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Donuts for decor tips? Deal! I’ll prep the spare room ;) And I don’t even think I had my first sweet potato until the ripe age of 25 or 26… my mom only ever made the normal kind when I was growing up.

34 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green October 10, 2013 at 7:49 am

Believe it or not, I actually picked up a pair of dark green skinny jeans at Smart Set yesterday! They were originally $45 and I got them for $25! Check it out if you have one near you! They also had burgundy and dark blue.
Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted..Pumpkin Apple Crisp [Vegan and Gluten Free]My Profile

35 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Thanks Christine! We do have those here, so I’ll have to check it out.

36 Angela @ Health's Angel October 10, 2013 at 7:51 am

I never ate nor cared for squash or pumpkin until a few years ago. Crazy considering I can’t get enough of both now, and I’m eating squash as a snack these days. I think blogs sparked my interest, but then my mom starting making it more often because apparently her mom was a big squash fan back in the 1950s. :)
Your decorations look wonderful! I love having my own space to decorate as well.
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Silence the MindMy Profile

37 Kat October 10, 2013 at 8:59 am

Yes, having a donut pan is probably one of the most exciting parts about my kitchen life right now lol I adore that little thing.
And I’ve been wanting to try that 3 little wonders business, so let me know how you like it! Sephora has great reviews on it, and I was looking into the night moisturizer I think. My skin just gets crazy dry and red in the winter time so Im looking for something with a bit more ummph for the colder months!
Kat recently posted..Fitness Thursday: Bashing MileyMy Profile

38 Brittany October 10, 2013 at 9:08 am

Your photos are so gorgeous! As are your fall decorations, ahh I want to come live with you!!
Brittany recently posted..Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad RunMy Profile

39 Em October 10, 2013 at 9:15 am
40 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Those mini apple pies are the cutest thing, and I’m loving the look of those pears! Thanks Em!

41 Becky @ Olives n Wine October 10, 2013 at 9:25 am

A 17th month pregnancy??! How is that even possible?? I need to read that right now… And yes, starting a sentence with “speaking of pregnancy…” only brings one thing to mind ;)
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Body Image and PregnancyMy Profile

42 Lauren October 10, 2013 at 9:29 am

Those boots! UGH, I love the belted look because it makes it look badass. I ate pumpkin seeds and canned pumpkin growing up, but never ate too much squash. I didn’t even know about the tens of thousands of varieties until recently! I don’t like donuts (I know!) but these kind of made my mouth water. Maybe I need to try a good one? I always hate the glazes on the outside. Blech.
We always have coconut cream pie at Thanksgiving along with Pumpkin Pie. You could always try making some sort of Pumpkin Dump Cake or Pumpkin Crumb Cake (on Sally’s baking addiction). OR pumpkin cinnamon rolls? Or a pumpkin roll?!
Lauren recently posted..lots and lots of cake… and picturesMy Profile

43 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 10, 2013 at 9:46 am

LOVE those shirts!! The gray/yellow color combo is one of my faves!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Breakfast CookieMy Profile

44 Cassie @RedLetterDaye October 10, 2013 at 10:07 am

I saw a recipe on Pinterest for a Sweet potato and Mollasses Buttercream cake. I may do that this Thanksgiving, since my boyfriend’s mom always covers the apple and pumpkin pie. Last year I brought a Snickers Pie, go figure, and it was the hit of the dessert table. I’ve also seen some great blondie recipes– white chocolate maple, and caramel apple….man, I love Pinterest. Bake all the things! ;)
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..RocktoberMy Profile

45 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm

A Snickers Pie would be amazing… if it weren’t for the fact that I’m allergic to Snickers :mad: :mad:

46 Erin @ The Almond Eater October 10, 2013 at 10:18 am

I’m new to your blog but I really liked reading the WoW Facts! #4…..crazy! Or maybe I should say #5. Anyway–I also recently decorated my apartment for fall–little things can make a big difference sometimes. And yes, I was deprived of pumpkin and squash. Thanks mom.
Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted..Spicy Pasta with Chicken SausageMy Profile

47 Cori @ olivetorun October 10, 2013 at 10:21 am

I can always say no to a donut… I donut even like them. ;)
[yes, I went there.]
Also, I am pretty sure we have the exact same style when it comes to decorating our houses. Love it!
Cori @ olivetorun recently posted..The Beauty in DiscomfortMy Profile

48 amanda @ maepress October 10, 2013 at 10:28 am

I never had winter squash growing up – I’m starting to get into it now. I’m wondering if you’ve ever shared your favorite methods for cooking squash? I’d love to know.

I found some super cute raspberry skinny cords on Alloy (http://www.alloyapparel.com/home.do?commTrack=shopChannelNowFromAlloy&incmpid=alloymediaAlloyshop). They are the most comfortable pants ever!

49 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I don’t think I ever have, but it’s pretty simple! I cut my squash in half, scoop out the seeds, cut each half in half, and then slice it into 1′ strips. Then I peel the strips (lots of people leave the peel on, though), put them on a baking sheet, spray with coconut oil, and bake at 425F for about 30 minutes.

50 Ang @ Nutty for Life October 10, 2013 at 10:43 am

Your decorations are absolutely gorgeous! Seriously. I wish I had half that decorative eye. I certainly don’t. One thing about house design that I just can’t get is mixing colors and patterns. I always love how that looks but can never execute on it myself! I’m going to need mad pinterest boards once I get my own real house.
Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted..Coffee DateMy Profile

51 Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food October 10, 2013 at 11:00 am

Ooh your boots are super cute, good selection! We used to roast a lot of pumpkin seeds when I was younger, but we didn’t eat a ton of other squash. I like to make pumpkin bars for Thanksgiving. I also like chocolate chess pie- the best!

52 Agnes October 10, 2013 at 11:02 am

I’m asking this out of pure ignorance as I’ve only had a doughnut once in my life (don’t think they even existed until quite recently in the part of the world where I come from), but isn’t the whole point of doughnuts that they’re deep fried? I mean, is it still a doughnut if it’s baked in the oven, or isn’t that more like a muffin with a hole in the middle? You know, like when people bake strips of potato (or other root vegetables) in the oven and call them ‘fries’? Or is it the shape that makes doughnuts unique? Please educate an ignorant person from outside of North America… :)

Never ate pumpkin growing up, my first pumpkin experience was when I moved from Europe to Australia as an adult.

53 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm

You’re right — I’m pretty sure donuts are meant to be fried, so baking the dough is definitely cheating. But they look like they’d be fun to eat, so as long as they taste good, I can overlook the slightly false advertising ;)

54 Khushboo October 10, 2013 at 11:46 am

Although I start eating squash long before HLBs, they certainly make me crave them more than before! My love for squash (particularly butternut) started during my Weight Watcher days as it was a “free” food and of course I milked it completely! You got me wanting a donut pan now too! I find the store-bought/Krispy Kreme varieties way too sweet for liking but I would love to turn muffin/cake batter into donuts! Has the Starbucks in your hood introduced the “duffin” (a.k.a. donut muffin) as yet?
Khushboo recently posted..Quick & dirty workoutMy Profile

55 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Duffin?!? Whaaaat?! No! At least I don’t think so. I admit that I don’t spend a lot of time looking at the baked goods in Bux because they’re not allergy friendly, but I’m liking the sound of these mixed breed baked goods…

56 morgan October 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm

odd but for the holidays my mother would make, for dessert, jello salad with huge chunks of fresh fruit & copious amounts of whipped cream (in a can- the spray kind!) we had non pumpkin and non nut eaters in our house but we would always eat jello & fruit!

57 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health October 10, 2013 at 1:19 pm

1. I love your fall decorations. You have great taste.
2. Yes, you HAVE to get a donut pan. I love mine and I just made a new recipe with it.
3. I still have to try the LaVanila deodorant. I’ve heard it’s great.
4. I use Ole Henrisksen’s Sheer Transformation at night and I LOVE it. I also like the vitamin C serum but the green one is just weird.
5. That’s disgusting that we produce that much saliva.
6. Yay for Ethan! He’s so freakin’ adorable. :)

58 Marjorie October 10, 2013 at 1:45 pm

OMG I’m in love with those boots! I may have to go hunt them down

59 Lisa C. October 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I can not find these kabocha squashes that everyone is raving about and it’s making me mad! I look every time I am at the grocery store or farmers’ market. Nada, nada, and nada. :(

That being said, a good friend brought me flowers, donuts, and homemade apple butter the other day to cheer me up after a particularly stressful week. I ended up putting some apple butter on the maple glazed donut. Oh my. SO good!

60 Cassie October 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm

1. I definitely grew up eating squash and pumpkin. I made my first kabocha squash last night though and I’m obsessed!

2. I love donuts! I like pumpkin ones (of course) or chocolate cake ones.

3. What about pumpkin bars or pecan bars? Apple pie is a little seasonal too, right? Or maybe a crustless fruit tart with pears to be seasonal?
Cassie recently posted..Race Recap: Columbus “Run Like a Girl” Half-MarathonMy Profile

61 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Mwaha! Another kabocha addict :D And I’m thinking there’s definitely a very high possibility for pumpkin bars… especially if chocolate is involved.

62 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine October 10, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Love Simply Organic’s Cinnamon! I go through bottles of it in just a few weeks!

63 Floey October 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm

You know, it’s strange — I don’t necessarily like the taste of doughnuts, but the smell is just so good and comfy :)
I love croissants though :P, especially almond ones!
Floey recently posted..DoingMy Profile

64 Emily October 10, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I’m absolutely in love with those shoes. Like, IN LOVE.

Just thinking about being pregnant for 17 months makes me cringe. I have a hard time imagining being pregnant for the normal amount of time, let alone almost double! Sheeeesh.

If you find a donut pan and start posting those recipes I’m definitely going to have to invest in one too. I’ve always wanted to but never got around to it. Plus, I like the taste of baked donuts WAY better than the fried version.
Emily recently posted..FALL in love [a survey]My Profile

65 Arman @ thebigmansworld October 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I must say, your interior designing skills are quite impressive- love the use of colours there (even it it means its a ‘Fall’ like state most of the year ;)

Thats so funny about the squash as decor thing- I found it so strange reading how people ate it when I was directly looking at one on the living room table! I really wish we celebrated Thanksgiving here in Australia- I love Turkey and the whole ideal behind it is great- although never knew you guys celebrated earlier than the Americans. Maybe its a good excuse to do it twice ;) A good thanksgiving dessert…just produce a jar of AB, several spoons and say dig in.
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..He thinks / She thinks – A Bloggers unspoken responsibilitiesMy Profile

66 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 8:25 pm

You should join the celebration and host a turkey dinner this weekend too, just for the heck of it ;) And I would totally be fine with the AB and spoons route, but my family doesn’t share my sentiments when it comes to the best nut butter out there. I’m pretty sure that means I was adopted…

67 Arman @ thebigmansworld October 11, 2013 at 3:41 am

LOL. imagine the meal ”I’m thankful Amanda’s not my daughter…”
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..Off the cuff Fridays 11/10- Lean beef balls with a twistMy Profile

68 Sara October 10, 2013 at 5:05 pm

So I’m terrible with desserts, I don’t like a lot of them, plus I eat Paleo so i haven’t figured out yet how to balance that with making any paleo desserts….
But I digress.. I’ve always eaten pumpkin seeds if that counts for eating pumpkin related things!
Sara recently posted..Miss Movin’ OnMy Profile

69 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves October 10, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I remember helping my mom scoop out pumpkin seeds when we carved them, but I don’t think I ever associated pumpkins/squash with eating either. What a shame…
I do like donuts! I could say that I love healthy baked donuts and all, but if we’re talking about the real stuff, give me some apple crullers :)
For dessert, apple crisp is an idea! This is a maple-walnut apple crisp that I found from Cooking Light: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/maple-walnut-apple-crisp-10000000223084/
And just because we’re scone lovers: http://www.yummymummykitchen.com/2013/04/apple-maple-scones.html
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Thursday Things + Strength and Cardio Circuit WorkoutMy Profile

70 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Thanks, girl! That apple crisp actually looks pretty fantastic. I might do something along that route.

71 Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach October 10, 2013 at 6:57 pm

My mom used to make acorn squash all the time and I hated it! I hated a lot of the things I love today and I’m glad I did. I likely wouldn’t have the same love for them today! Instead I hate everything I loved back then (all the junk), which is good. ;)
Those boots … HOT! I need a pair!!
Maria @ Pappa Don’t Preach recently posted..Hopping through the Greenwich Wine and Food FestivalMy Profile

72 brickhousechick October 10, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Came across your blog! LOVE.IT. Your fall decorations are beautiful and I too like earthy decorations. I like bringing the outdoors in. I can’t help you on the non-pumpkin dessert suggestion because I am currently in the midst of a pumpkin anything obsession. I eat anything and everything pumpkin. I just devoured an entire (minus one slice) pumpkin pie over the course of 3 days. I bought pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin butter and pumpkin bagels. {Somebody stop me.} :)

73 Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now October 10, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Omigosh the boots are adorable! I wish that I could wear heels without falling every 10 minutes ;)
Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now recently posted..I Have a Title!My Profile

74 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen October 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm

My parents never fed me squash growing up… like literally never! I didn’t try it for the first time until I had it at a restaurant well into my teen years. I can’t believe they deprived me of such deliciousness! Ah well, I’m definitely making up for it now.

Given how much you love pumpkin and squash, I can’t believe you don’t like pumpkin pie! It’s like pumpkin oatmeal… but so much richer and sweeter! Gah, I can’t wait until Monday haha. Maybe instead you could make an apple crisp? Or how about a pear upside-down cake?
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Weekly meal plan: Sept 28 – Oct 4My Profile

75 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I know, I know — it’s blasphemy. I honestly think it’s a texture thing for me. But an apple crisp sounds pretty fabulous, so I think I’ll probably end up going that route instead.

76 Sarah Pie October 10, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Oh. My. WOW those boots are gorgeous!! And now I really want something with cinnamon ;)
Sarah Pie recently posted..WIAW #25: Reality eatsMy Profile

77 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 10, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I feel the same way about Thanksgiving desserts! Thankfully, my mom found the perfect solution: Kentucky Derby Pie. We make it every year – there’s a recipe on my blog, but it’s like pecan pie… but with chocolate chips and bourbon. That makes it not so ewwy-gooey and adds SO many more flavor layers.
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Plantain Zucchini MuffinsMy Profile

78 Jessie October 10, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Two things – 1. Come decorate my home for me and 2. Those black heels are sexy. I want a pair.
Jessie recently posted..How do you handle the Heat?My Profile

79 Mary October 10, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I LOVE the smell of cinnamon, but can’t stand the taste. I bake it lots for my boyfriend all the time just to have the smell in the house!
Mary recently posted..Marathon legsMy Profile

80 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 11, 2013 at 6:12 am

You may just be the first person I’ve ever come across that doesn’t like the taste of cinnamon :shock: I’m just going to pretend I didn’t see that :P

81 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope October 11, 2013 at 2:51 am

I love all of your fall decorations! No shame on the cinnamon… I go through that stuff like crazy too haha!

I’ve loved Imagine Dragons lately – great song!
Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope recently posted..Time FliesMy Profile

82 Eating 4 Balance October 11, 2013 at 5:11 am

Apple pie, lemon meringue pie, pumpkin apple streusel muffins, sweet potato casserole, cranberry bread are all desserts that we’ve had for Thanksgiving at one point or another («« I vote for the streusel muffins because those are flippin fantastic ;) ).

We have many containers of those organic spices at home too, although admittedly only two are filled with cinnamon. Haha.

Before blogs I had never really considered squashes to be edible either! Kind of strange how they make up a big part of my diet now :)

83 Laura @losingrace October 11, 2013 at 8:02 am

We definitely ate pumpkin and squash growing up, but not as much as I do now. My mom is a fabulous cook, and they were fall/winter staples for us. Now I do so much more with these things, and get more creative, it’s cool because I share the recipes with my mom now!
Laura @losingrace recently posted..The “buts” and the “what ifs”My Profile

84 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 11, 2013 at 9:30 am

That’s definitely awesome. I think my love for it rubbed off on my mom because guess what I found sitting on her counter the last time I was over there — kabocha! I’m not quite sure her level of adoration quite equals mine, but give me another month and I’ll have her converted ;)

85 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) October 11, 2013 at 8:28 am

I was exactly the same with squash, I can’t believed I missed out on it for so long! Just one of many things I owe to HLBs!

86 Kate October 11, 2013 at 9:08 am

SO deprived. Seriously, for-real-pumpkin, butternut and kabocha, even sweet potatoes – not part of my repertoire until adulthood. I kinda dig making up for lost time, though. ;) And I love decorating with them (not so much the sweet taters) so it’s a total two-for-one. Your decor is very much on par with mine – natural, calm, soothing, and generally fall-inspired. It is a sweetly dangerous time of year for my wallet.

87 Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut October 11, 2013 at 10:01 am

I might need some of that calming decor in my life! But usually what draws me in are bright and beautiful colors…possibly in an attempt to keep myself cheerful? Now I’m looking into this way too much…

I cannot get over that long pregnancy…slightly terrifying!
Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted..Girls on the Run 5K in the Twin Cities!My Profile

88 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 11, 2013 at 12:22 pm

No such thing as too much! Decor actually has a huge impact on our moods — that’ why people make such a big fuss over things like paint colours and feng shui.

89 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets October 11, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I didn’t grow up eating squash or pumpkin and I still don’t eat it all that often, unless I get something in my food share. That being said, I currently have a butternut squash, an acorn squash and a spaghetti squash hanging out on my counter. The butternut and acorn should be easy, but O have no idea what to do with the spaghetti squash, although I have been eyeing the spaghetti squash lasagna you linked to earlier in the week.

I’m digging your fall decorations (I swear you must get such amazing natural light at your place), I adore the ankle booties, and I want homemade donuts too. If you find a place that sells the pans, let me know because I’m going in.
Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted..Sometimes This Needs To HappenMy Profile

90 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 11, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Love the new boots! Even though I would TOTALLY break my ankles in them! Ha! And honey, you get absolutely no judgement from me on the cinnamon thing…I buy all my containers from Sam’s or Costco…and they usually last about two months! ;) Your random facts are always the bets! Ohhh, the couch cushion fun I used to have as a kid…those were the days! And I really need to listen to the Imagine Dragons song now that I’m not reading from my phone like I was earlier this week!

I’m with you…totally deprived of all squashy goodness until discovering the blogging community a few years ago…such a shame! Obviously I have to make up for lost time now! ;) LOVE doughnuts! My favorite has always been blueberry cake…unglazed…with coffee because dunking is NOT optional! And funny that you mentioned buying a doughnut pan…I bought one a couple of years ago, used it twice and haven’t brought it out since, but was JUST saying the other day about how I plan one dusting it off and playing around with some ideas soon! Hmm, good T-Day dessert that’s not pecan or pumpkin pie (can’t say I blame ya on not liking pecan pie…ugh, too sweet for me!)….how about a fudge pie…or a peanut butter pie…or a CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER PIE?! :D
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Pumpkin PaloozaMy Profile

91 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 11, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Oh and ps, you’ve totally inspired me to break out the fall decor this weekend! Love your balls! Yep, that’s totally what.she.said! ;)
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Pumpkin PaloozaMy Profile

92 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm

OMG!!! DON’T DO IT!!! THERE WILL BE NO SUICIDES ON THANKSGIVING!!! I FORGOT!!! 8O
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Pumpkin PaloozaMy Profile

93 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Peanut butter?! Are you taunting me? :P

94 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Haha! We just typed our comments at the same time!! SO sorry love, I’m a forgetful ninny!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Pumpkin PaloozaMy Profile