. WIAW … from the depths of the pantry .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on May 22, 2013

Blogging has been good to me.

Friendship. Inspiration. Motivation. Creativity. It’s gotten to a point where it’s hard to imagine my life without it. Unfortunately, with the good comes the bad; and the bad in this case is the fact that blogging has also left me with a pantry that’s become not only cluttered, but cluttered with foods that I’m not quite sure what to do with.

Pantry Grains

Millet – Amaranth – Polenta – Bulgur

Pantry Cereals

Quinoa flakes – Brown rice flakes – Mighty tasty hot cereal – 7 grain hot cereal

Pantry Flours

Garbanzo flour – Coconut flour – Carob powder

Pantry Nuts

Almonds – Barney Butter – Sunbutter – Chia seeds – Hemp seeds – Vega  smoothie mix

We’ve all been there, right? We see something splashed across the pages of the blog world and then rush out to buy it only to discover that we’re not really all that crazy about it? And there are like 823.9 servings in the bag? Yeah. I’m looking at you, chia seeds *stank eye* So our unfortunate purchase sits forgotten, getting pushed to the back of our pantry while we continue to stock up on more misses, until we eventually find ourselves waist deep in “what-the-heck-do-I-do-with-this”…

Amaranth

I bought that bag of amaranth over 6 months ago and haven’t even opened it yet. I don’t know if I like amaranth or not… all I know is that I heard great things about it (typical) so I picked up a bag only to spend some more time thinking about it and coming to the conclusion that… I’m not sure if I’d like the texture – the individual grains are so tiny! But see, I remember thinking the same thing about steel cut oats before I finally tried them, and they’re now my favorite variety…

Steel Cut Oats

But we’ll address amaranth later. I guess I’m just afraid of not liking something and forcing myself to eat it anyways; but really… who would actually enjoy that? I’ve choked down all manner of nasties in the name of health and I’d really prefer not to do it anymore… But you gotta do what you gotta do, and I gotta spring clean my pantry. Since the garbage bin isn’t really an option and I can only pawn off so much of my “new age rabbit food” onto my parents (they’re old-fashioned “meat and potatoes” kind of Europeans), I need to come up with tasty alternatives. So that’s what I’ve been doing…

WIAW

Normally, I don’t like to mess with breakfast. It’s my favorite meal, a lot is riding on it. I mean, why risk starting out the day on a sour note? Because we’re a clean freak on a mission…

Oats and Quinoa

A combination of quick oats and quinoa flakes to make eggy banana oats, topped with homemade applesauce, roasted almond butter, and cinnamon.

I’ll admit to only going 50% on this one – 50% oats and 50% quinoa flakes. Verdict? What quinoa flakes? I honestly couldn’t even tell they were in there. Maybe this won’t be so painful after all. But really, with the right toppings, anything becomes edible.

Snack time. I’ve mentioned before that I’m not the biggest fan of eating nuts on their own – too dry and unsatisfying. Solution? Combine them with tastier things like dates, oats, and chocolate…

Cookie Dough Bites

Chocolate chip cookie dough bites.

And yes, chocolate is completely acceptable at 9:30 AM. Acceptable and highly recommended. Bonus points for being able to sneak it in to lunch, too…

Vega Shake

Into the blender: 1 cup milk, ½ banana, 1 serving Vega choc-a-lot smoothie mix, 1 Tbsp. coconut flour, 1 Tbsp. cocoa, 1 Tbsp. almond butter.

I’ve stopped relying on protein/supplement powders in my daily diet, but I still have a decent collection of them left over from back in the day, and I’ve been trying to sneak them in here and there in an effort to get rid of them. Shakes are a perfect way to do that, in addition to being a great opportunity to get rid of some unloved almond butter…

Barney Butter, I don’t like you – you taste and feel like plastic. You don’t hold a candle to my beloved Maisie Jane’s, and it pains me to realize that I still have a full jar of you sitting in my pantry.

Barney Butter

Stank eye, Barney Butter… stank eye.

But a spoonful of sugar blueberry jam makes the medicine Barney Butter go down…

ABJ Toast

As does chasing it with my beloved coffee…

Foamy Cappuccino

Dry cappuccino.

Dinners are tricky. Mostly because I’m pretty tired when I get home from work and not really willing to get all that creative with my meals. All I can say is thank goodness for leftovers and pre-cooked batches of grains…

Italian Stuffed Chicken

I always forget how much I love bulgur – it has a wonderfully chewy texture accompanied by a wonderfully nutty taste. I paired it with an Italian stuffed chicken breast that I made on the weekend and some steamed green beans covered with a simple alfredo sauce. Delicious. Well, aside from the fact that the beans were a little freezer burnt… but I guess that’s to be expected when you keep them buried in the depths of the freezer for a few months too many. Ahh well… again, nothing a healthy helping of toppings can’t fix.

Last but not least, I’ve been ending my days with a big bowl of mixed cereal and milk…

Nightly Cereal

Kashi Honey Sunshine – Kashi Flakes & Berries – Barbara’s Shredded Spoonfuls.

My cereal collection is getting a little out of hand… I currently have something like 8 open boxes in my pantry, and while I go through my favorites like nobody’s business, the ones I don’t care for end up sitting around and going stale. I’ve been picking away at them slowly but surely, and while they’re not as good as my beloved Cinnamon Harvest or Puffins, cereal is still cereal (read: I can’t complain).

And that, my good friends, is a little glimpse into my pantry cleanup what I’ve been eating lately. Now head on over to Jenn’s to see some more delicious eats, and I’ll see you again tomorrow!

What are some blog world inspired misses for you? I have quite a few, but I’m happy to no longer be investing in all of the crazy expensive superfoods and powders I used to buy :shock:
What’s one thing sitting in your pantry right now that you don’t know what to do with?
Have you tried bulgur or any of the less popular grains like amaranth, millet, buckwheat, etc?

1 sara @ fitcupcaker May 22, 2013 at 7:07 am

I think I have like 10 boxes of cereal in my pantry too, I keep telling my husband and step son that I will not buy any more until they finish them off, but that never happens! I love your collection of Bobs Red Mill, I love their granola and almond flour!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- Back To The BasicsMy Profile

2 Khushboo May 22, 2013 at 7:10 am

OMG are you in my brain- I have a similar post coming up…definitely a case of “great minds”, I’m thinking ;)! There are so many products I’ve bought under the “HLB Influence” and unfortunately not all of them have been a hit. Amazing Grass is one that comes to mind- while it wasn’t awfully unbearable, I definitely don’t feel like I got the best bang for my buck! A HLB recipe that didn’t and probably will never get my approval is “chickpea blondies”–> yuck! It was like eating sweetened chickpeas, or as some people would say “chickpea cookie dough”—> YEAH, NO!! As much as I love nut butter for the most part, I wasn’t a fan of Justin’s Chocolate Nut Butter…whoever says it tastes like Reeses has clearly not eaten the latter in a loong time!
Khushboo recently posted..Spreading breakfast rumorsMy Profile

3 Khushboo May 22, 2013 at 9:39 am

I meant to add that your cookie dough bites, on the other hand, are definitely something I can get on board with :D

4 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I’ve tried Amazing Grass as well with pretty much the same thoughts – thankfully it was just a single serving sample baggie. And oh man, the bean desserts… I’ve never tried chickpea blondies, but that’s because I had a bad experience with black bean brownies and swore I’d never let a bean within close proximity of my desserts again.

5 Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 22, 2013 at 7:15 am

“chocolate is completely acceptable at 9:30 AM. Acceptable and highly recommended.” lol AMEN (takes another bite of choc chip banana bread) This is a great post. I live in a studio, so space is limited and fills up really quickly. I have an entire shelf dedicated to things i dont eat, i should just toss them but i feel so bad throwing out all that food (and $$) i love your sneaky ways of working them into yummy food. Im going to have to give that a shot
Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted..There’s a Snack For ThatMy Profile

6 Jessie May 22, 2013 at 7:16 am

Sigh… I wish you lived close enough that I could raid your pantry!!
Jessie recently posted..WIAW: TUESDAY!My Profile

7 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I wish you lived close enough so I could see you!!

8 Ari @ The Pace of it All May 22, 2013 at 7:21 am

Uh, I hear you. I have a pack of chia seeds and coconut sugar (why did I buy this?!) and some form of alternate flour that I’m not using. Sad waste of money.

Your breakfast always looks so yum to me! I need to get better at eating breakfast.
Ari @ The Pace of it All recently posted..Running and me: the love-hate relationship.My Profile

9 Ashley @ Life and Fitness May 22, 2013 at 7:22 am

My pantry is pretty similar to yours with a huge collection of Bob’s Red Mill items from a vendor fair. I’ve been donating it to my church pantry because well I don’t want it to sit up there for 5,000 years.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..WIAW-Discovering A New VeggieMy Profile

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:17 pm

That’s such a great idea! I’m going to have to look in to donation centers, because I have a fair share of unopened things. Thanks, girl :D

11 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 22, 2013 at 7:27 am

I have sooooo many chia seeds! I’m never going to use them all, and I actually like them!

Great eats! Especially those choc chip balls. I made a batch of some that were incredibly similar not long ago, and they really hit the spot.
Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #280182373My Profile

12 Ashley @ OurPersonalRecords May 22, 2013 at 7:30 am

I have so many random flours and grains that I will probably never eat. I’ve been better lately about not buying things that I will only eat once. My biggest issue as of late has been around guacamole! Every time I go shopping I decide I want to make guac, I always have a few of the ingredients at home, so I just pick up what I need, then I get home to find out what I thought I had is actually moldy at this point. First it was the jalapeno, then the lime, and most recently the avocado. It seems like I’m never going to have everything I need to make it!
Ashley @ OurPersonalRecords recently posted..100 For BostonMy Profile

13 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 22, 2013 at 7:33 am

That’s quite a giant load of random foods you have there! Love the chocolate chip cookie dough bites. It’s never too early for chocolate! :)

One thing sitting in my pantry right now that I don’t know what to do with is cacao powder. Well, I know what to do with it, but you can only eat chocolate chia seed pudding and chocolate overnight oats so many times before you want something else. I should have gotten a smaller bag…it’d be useful occasionally, but not in the gigantic quantity I decided to buy it in!
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..My Race Bucket ListMy Profile

14 Megan @ runningonjava May 22, 2013 at 7:34 am

You should see all the weird flours we have in our pantry! I am way too much of an impulse buyer thanks to the blog world. The one thing I DON’T complain about having large amounts of is nut butter. You can never have too much of that!
Megan @ runningonjava recently posted..what i ate: semi-solidsMy Profile

15 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:18 pm

You can if it’s Barney Butter :oops:

16 AC May 22, 2013 at 7:35 am

I’ve tried a few protein powders that bloggers raved about, but could never get over the funky aftertaste. I also got very into chia seeds at one point…until I realized that the amount of Omega 3s in a tiny serving of chia seeds is nearly nothing…it wasn’t worth the money OR getting those buggers stuck in my teeth. They don’t taste bad, but the texture was kind of off-putting. I would have put up with it had they been chock full of Omega 3s, but I’d rather just stick with grass-fed met, Omega 3 eggs and salmon

At the moment, I’ve got a few weird grain mixes, like SooFoo (lentils and grains) sitting in my pantry. I almost never cook grains…I’m more of a sweet potato or french fry girl :)

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I couldn’t help but laugh at your chia seed in teeth comment – that’s pretty much the main reason I don’t like them as well. It helps if you throw them into a blender with a smoothie and shred the heck out of them.

18 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy May 22, 2013 at 7:36 am

The only out side of the box grain I’ve tried and liked is Quinoa. I love it now if I cook it right. I had buckwheat flour once and it was one of the worst things I’ve ever tasted in my life. I’m glad I finally (as in the last two weeks) have come to the conclusion that just because it’s healthy or better for you doesn’t mean I HAVE to eat it.
And I’m getting ready to go to the store and stock up on cereal so I can try the mix bowl thing. I’m thinking it’s a great idea!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..WIAW #2- Trigger FoodsMy Profile

19 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm

:lol: Buckwheat flour is actually one of the things that I ended up tossing because there was just NO way to make that stuff taste good. And mixing cereals is great! Especially if you get ones that really vary in texture.

20 Parita May 22, 2013 at 7:47 am

Chia pudding was a huge miss for me! It came out so gross when I made it. YUCK! I like chia seeds just not in glob form! :)
Parita recently posted..Semi Sleepless Nights Make for Humorous MorningsMy Profile

21 Carly @ Snack Therapy May 22, 2013 at 7:51 am

I try not to buy all of those crazy blogger health foods (coconut flour and psyllium husks both sit forgotten in my pantry). I do sometimes give in, but I mostly stick with my tried and true favorites. Mostly because I’m broke and I can’t afford to purchase something and hate it. College student problems!!
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..Blend 2013 Recap- SaturdayMy Profile

22 Rachel May 22, 2013 at 7:52 am

haha I’m not a fan of Barney Butter either.. too artificial I’m much more of a Maranatha fan ;) hmm one thing sitting in my pantry that idk what to do with is my coconut butter lol do I heat it, eat it as is, will it clog my arteries? lol these are the questions that haunt me lol
Rachel recently posted..I’m on a boatMy Profile

23 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Hehe. I usually heat mine a little bit to get it all melty, and it’s really great on oatmeal or toast. You know the jury keeps going back and forth on which foods are good for us and which ones aren’t, but I figure that as long as you’re not overdoing it, you should be fine :)

24 Alex @ therunwithin May 22, 2013 at 7:52 am

You are braver than I am. I tend to not buy anything because I fear I will hate it and not like it and then waste it. I am a frugal fanny but you knew that. I actually hate chia seeds. I only like them in that Drink Chia drink but besides that just not a fan.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Don’t Panic.My Profile

25 De @ Cooking for the Other Half May 22, 2013 at 7:52 am

Those cookie dough bites look awesome! And I also loooooove Barney Butter. Mmm.

I have a ton of canned beans and pasta in my pantry. We don’t eat pasta a lot, so boxes tend to pile up because we buy them frequently (despite not eating it often. Weird.)
De @ Cooking for the Other Half recently posted..blend recap 3: saturday, burpees, and mountainsMy Profile

26 Lisa May 22, 2013 at 7:57 am

There’s been a lot of blogs that have influenced me to buy some delicious tasting things…others, not so tasty;)
There’s been a few things I’ve tried that I’ve hated, but feel like I shouldn’t hate them since others rave about them ;)
I have SO many weird flours, but I truly love them all…amaranth (I’ve had my Mom try it and she doesn’t like it). It’s a very bold flavor (if you ever want to try it be warned of that), quinoa, brown rice, millet, teff, hemp, coconut. Sheesh, I could go on to hah.
I don’t like barney butter either!!! I thought I was the only one. I just bought some and ick, like it’s really bad tasting. Doesn’t even taste like regular almond butter. Sad.
Have a great Wednesday love!
Lisa recently posted..Paleo Chocolate Coconut CupcakesMy Profile

27 Trina May 22, 2013 at 8:10 am

You have an awesome pantry! I wish I could try those things, but I live in southeast Kansas and I’d have to spend a fortune to buy any of them. Right now I’ve got some nasty chocolate protein powder and a large box of unsweetened grape nuts. Yuck!

28 Gloria May 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

I can definitely relate to this. I have so many flours and grains in my pantry that I don’t use very often.

You should try puffed amaranth cereal!

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Ohhh, I remember seeing that a while ago and thinking it was a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing, Gloria! If I ever end up opening my bag of amaranth, that’s definitely how I’ll be using it.

30 Kate May 22, 2013 at 8:26 am

ohhhh man I used to have this problem too!! After realizing I couldn’t eat gluten I went out and bought every GF grain under the sun – rice, quinoa, farro, amaranth, millet, you name it. Turns out I LOOOOVE quinoa, tolerate farro but wouldn’t buy it again, and hate the rest. With nut butters and protein powders I don’t like, I bake them into stuff (ALWAYS with chocolate!) and…..well thank god for all the new-age-health-freaks working at CTS that would always take the stuff I hated. Box of cereal I wasn’t a fan of? Just put it on the break room table and with an office full of hungry cyclists it’ll be gone in 45 minutes lol. I like your efforts to “eat down the inventory” – I’ll admit I often just cop out and toss things haha

31 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 22, 2013 at 8:30 am

I have heard such great things about Barney Butter, but have not purchased it due to the price. Your review of it makes me feel a little better and like I am not missing out on something that I should be eating! ;)

And seriously, I have the same issue with cereal. I can never eat just one kind, which then leaves me with several opened boxes in my pantry. Luckily, I go through it fast enough that it doesn’t get stale :). And yay for the Kashi Honey Sunshine. I seriously think that it tastes like Captain Crunch!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Omaha Eats: IngredientMy Profile

32 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm

It does! Except it doesn’t leave your mouth feeling like your gums are bleeding. Good old childhood memories :lol:

33 Sarah @pickyrunner May 22, 2013 at 8:33 am

I’m really bad. If I don’t like something I either pawn it off onmy roommate or throw it out. I refuse to eat something I don’t like. I guess that’s the pickiness in me. Sneaking those things into your daily meals though is pretty smart! I guess that’s the one upside to being picky- I rarely have something new in my pantry. Except quinoa, but I gave that to my roommate
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..Throwback…wednesday?My Profile

34 Nicole May 22, 2013 at 8:44 am

I snort-laughed when you gave chia seeds the stank eye. I kind of envisioned this showdown in your kitchen with Clint Eastwood-style tumbleweeds and music. I’m thinking perhaps I’ve had a bit too much coffee this morning.
Nicole recently posted..This is Sid. Sid, the Vicious ‘Cycle. I love this bike,…My Profile

35 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling May 22, 2013 at 8:48 am

I definitely have some of those same items in my pantry and still haven’t used them up. I think I tend to just stick to the same staples and forget about everything else. I need to work on using stuff up as well!
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..WIAW: Cheesecake Lovin’My Profile

36 Susan May 22, 2013 at 9:02 am

After the disastrous peanut flour debacle of 2010, I decided to stick to foods that I knew existed before I started blogging. I ended up having to throw the rest of the bag away, which pained me because, like you, I hate to waste food!

I love alternative grains too. I’m not a big fan of rice, partly because there are so many more interesting, flavorful options (my opinion).

Happy Wednesday!
Susan recently posted..Back from AustinMy Profile

37 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:30 pm

You know, you may just be the first person I’ve ever heard say they don’t like peanut flour – everyone else seems to rave about it, and I’ll never know what all the fuss is about since I’m allergic :?

38 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

I’m surprised by your dislike of Barney Butter! I’ve never tried it, but I’ve always heard good things. Good thing I haven’t bought it, because I already have my fair share of HLB-inspired stuff that I have no idea what to do with. I got the black bean flour with Lisa, so I may be asking her what the hell I can do with it. I’ve also got half a bag of almond flour and a big bag of ground flax in my freezer. I’ve only been using coconut flour in smoothies, so I should probably find something else to do with that. I had chia seeds going largely unused for a while, but I’ve been throwing a teaspoon or two into oats while they’re cooking, which I do actually enjoy.

I’m pretty sure the only ‘odd’ grain I’ve tried is quinoa, which I don’t think really counts. I’ve never tried bulgar, buckwheat, amaranth, wheatberries….I’m curious, but I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’m pretty happy with my oats, rice and quinoa!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Victoria Day Eats.My Profile

39 Maddy May 22, 2013 at 9:10 am

I bought flaxseed a few years ago. Definitely a miss. I can’t believe I forced myself to get through half of it. I don’t mind when flaxseed is already in stuff, but I don’t like mixing it into things. Also, most protein powders.
Right now I have super old oat bran and Kashi oatmeal sitting in my pantry. Oh, and a can of tuna. I like them but just never get around to eating them.
I’ve never tried bulgur or any grains like that because I’m a poor college kid. But I’m pretty sure I’d like them.
Maddy recently posted..applesauce injuries and coffee addictionMy Profile

40 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Flaxseeds can be a tough one to get rid of. One of my favorite ways to eat them has always been to grind them up until they’re kind of powdery, and then mix them into yogurt with a little bit of cinnamon and honey. They add a really interesting taste, and also help thicken up the yogurt a little.

41 lucie May 22, 2013 at 9:22 am

YES for chocolate at 9:30 am!!! I am on the chocolate trip even earlier, like AT breakfast (7:30) or as my first dessert of the day. CHocolate ALWAYS wins.
And I also dod buy several protein powders which make me sick now by even looking at them. I figuress that baking with them is perfect.
I love buckwheat and still have it in my pantry, thank you for the reminder :-)
lucie recently posted..Friday Favorites – Bloglove and another TripMy Profile

42 Alyssa @ Road to RD May 22, 2013 at 9:26 am

Personally, I love amaranth in stir fry! Cook it up with some veggies and substitute it for rice. It has a nice, nutty taste!
Alyssa @ Road to RD recently posted..WIAW #3My Profile

43 Caitlin May 22, 2013 at 9:31 am

Chocolate is a part of my diet all day….i have a few dark chocolate craisins after breakfast and lunch and dessert after dinner :) i think the biggest blog food fail for me recently waa zevia…not a fan which made me sad. Not a fan of stevia though either so maybe not too surprising :P my biggest pet peeve with food from blogs is how expensive a lot of it is…i see something i want to try and then get disappointed when i see the price haha
Caitlin recently posted..The PlanMy Profile

44 Lauren May 22, 2013 at 9:46 am

My brother just recommended bulgur to me because it’s one of the closest things to meat a vegetarian can eat for the protein, etc. I’m not really sure HOW to eat it, though. I’ve definitely bought my share of things which ended up sitting over time. One thing I thought would be a flub was nooch which I ended up really liking once I started sprinkling it on everything with paprika. As for the chia seeds, I would just start adding random amounts into baked goods just to get rid of it or even your cereal bowls. There are some things out there I will NEVER try. I get confused by a lot of it.

I will GLADLY take that Barney Butter off of your hands if you want to mail it to me ;-)
Lauren recently posted..Tuesday Thoughts: The Fear of Gaining WeightMy Profile

45 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:35 pm

You can use bulgur pretty much anywhere you would use rice. Except maybe in sushi :lol: Really, though, it’s pretty versatile and also tastes good if you want to go the sweet route. The texture kind of reminds me of oatmeal – sort of sticky – which could be why I love it so much. And seriously… I wouldn’t mind sending you my jar if you want it. Talk more in e-mail ;)

46 Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 22, 2013 at 9:46 am

I love chia seeds! I have actually been really happy with most everything I have tried after seeing on blogs. I love trying new things so I always want to try the fun new foods.
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..WIAW #19 InternshipMy Profile

47 Sky @ The Blonde In Black May 22, 2013 at 10:00 am

Agave Nectar. I haven’t really played around with it yet to see what I should use it with, but it’s just chilling in my fridge. I bought coconut oil yesterday and I’m hoping I actually use that too! My reason for buying it was to do a hair treatment…we’ll see.
Sky @ The Blonde In Black recently posted..My Sister Graduated from High School! Weekend RecapMy Profile

48 morgan May 22, 2013 at 10:03 am

I am afraid I am slightly jealous (ok a whole lot!) of your collections! Its weird, after I became GF I started hoarding the small collection of foods that I could eat & that I really liked (they were hard to find!) I am afraid my protein powder collection is rather out of control right now. I had to look after reading this post & there are 8 different open containers…..I love Bob’s stuff & have a minor collection (of unopened!) bags of assorted new flours & such. I buy his flax meal, TVP, chia & oats by the giant bags though :) its the blog world of new & cool stuff that sucks me in- love it though!

49 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin May 22, 2013 at 10:06 am

Haha I definitely have a few blog inspired foods in my pantry that I haven’t touched since the day I bought them…I have a huge tub of protein powder that I have used one scoop of. Sigh…just not a fan of protein powder, even if it is the tastiest one I have tried. I like this idea of being creative to clean out your pantry – maybe I will jump on board with this!

50 meredith May 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

I have been on a major quinoa kick lately, which is completely out of the norm for me. I am more of a sweet potato a day (twice a day lol) instead of grains (seeds) like quinoa. But I had it in the pantry and decided to give it another try- I can’t get enough of it lately. I never really cared for it much, I always felt like I could take it or leave it. Now something happened and I am in love. I haven’t tried the other grains in terms of cooking them myself but I have seen Trader Joe’s displaying them on end caps recently so maybe I will pick up a bag.
meredith recently posted..Creature of Habit – BreakfastMy Profile

51 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I feel like the complete opposite happened with me. I really loved quinoa when I first tried it and went through multiple bags, and then something happened and now I haven’t touched it in months. I still have a decent amount of it to use up, too, so I’ll have to look into some good recipes.

52 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit May 22, 2013 at 10:16 am

This is so time appropriate, I cannot even tell you! I was staring at boxes of couscous & barley yesterday wondering WTF to do with them. I just need to cook them up & start tossing them together with random things! As for blog inspired “misses”…crossfit! I went once & really tried to like it, I did like it, just didn’t drink the kool-aid…haven’t been back, oops!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..I Think I’ll Check Out…Plus WIAW…My Profile

53 Brittany May 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

Call me crazy, but I don’t really fall prey to the blogging trends. I usually buy new foods I discover while shopping at the store!! ALL of these things you have in your pantry though..are my staples!! I LOVE chia seeds, send them my way! HA. They have no flavor so just mix em with cereal or something!! As long as you can get over the texture! :). Bulgar is amazing, as is farro..I am in love with those grains right now! I’m so jazzed about your ways of using this stuff up because the idea of tossing them makes me shiver!
Brittany recently posted..When Nature CallsMy Profile

54 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Not crazy – smart! And it’s pretty much a texture thing for me with chia… I just can’t get past the grainy sliminess :shock:

55 Sloane@StrengthinFreedom May 22, 2013 at 10:27 am

I KNOW THIS LIFE. What in the world compels me to buy all this crap? I’ve been trying to clean out my pantry as well, and I’m pretty much doing the same things you are. What’s this? I’ll throw it in a smoothie? Hmm…an unopened $8 bag of *insert superfantastic protein packed fairy dusted magical miracle grain here* Well, looks like I’m cooking up a batch of savory and sweet. One for breakfast, the other for throwing loads of veggies in. Love the oat ball idea too! Thanks for sharing and good luck on your quest!
xoxo
Sloane@StrengthinFreedom recently posted..The F word.My Profile

56 Miss Polkadot May 22, 2013 at 11:09 am

As weird as it might sound I’m glad not to be the only one buying lots of products and then letting them collect dust in the pantry. For me, some of those are buckwheat and steel-cut oats (sorry, I know you like them), polenta, TVP, overly sweetened cereals, snacks (like cookies) I tried and ended up not liking. Have you tried the coconut flour in Greek yogurt yet? As for the bulgur I do really like it. Tell me if you need some recipes – such as Bulgur Chili and Apple-Cinnamon Bulgur – and I’ll mail them to you.
Chia seeds make for even thicker oatmeal or – better yet – oat bran. I actually gave some to one of my non-blog-reading friends recently and she thought they were funny in yogurt.
Woops, sorry for giving you a slew of recommendations though you didn’t ask for them …
Happy Wednesday <3!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..When life hands you [avocado]My Profile

57 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Don’t apologize for the recommendations! I love ‘em :D I completely forgot about the coconut flour in Greek yogurt, so I’ll definitely be giving that a try, and the apple-cinnamon bulgur sounds -amazing- so I’d love to have the recipe for it!

58 dixya| food, pleasure, and health May 22, 2013 at 11:22 am

this post is very appropriate reminder – I need to clean out my pantry and start using things rather than piling up things. I have 3+ varieties of grains and multiple lentils I bought few months ago.
dixya| food, pleasure, and health recently posted..Brunch Favorites {Recipe Redux}My Profile

59 Missy May 22, 2013 at 11:26 am

I have amaranth, too!
Tried popping it, it burned… tried cooking it…turned out gummy/
Stopped trying.

I also have ground chia seed in my freezer.. I’ve used like.. 1/2 a Tbsp. They work as a binder but… when do I ever bind things?

However I must say I owe the blog world BIG for introducing me to Nutritional Yeast.
And Kombucha.
And Socca (with that grabanzo flour) is delicious, try it!
Missy recently posted..Show and TellMy Profile

60 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Socca is actually the reason that I bought the flour in the first place, but that was forever ago and I still haven’t gotten around to making it. Lol oh man… I need to stop being lazy.

61 Shira May 22, 2013 at 11:40 am

Funny topic because there are so many things on blogs that I would have no clue what to do with.. During an allergen removing diet (only 6 weeks) through a naturopath years ago, I had to try things like quinoa, millet, and buckwheat.. millet was ok, mild, quinoa I am not a fan of at all, and buckwheat, barrrrf. I am Jewish and Russian and I didn’t know that buckwheat is Kasha (if anyone would know what that is who isn’t, I’m not sure!), which is the stinkiest old school Jewish (and Eastern European, I think) food ever.. I don’t know how people enjoy buckwheat! My Mom laughed at me for awhile over that one :)
I was recommended by another natural doctor to try Maca powder.. and it is straight up nasty. I don’t know how people stand it.. big bag sitting in the pantry right now.

62 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm

European roots, right here, so kasha was a pretty big staple in my home growing up. I can’t say I love it, but I don’t have it either. And oh man… maca. I had a bag of that AND lucuma powder that I just couldn’t get through. Eventually they expired so I didn’t feel so bad about tossing them.

63 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 22, 2013 at 11:44 am

I was just thinking last night how I have way too many flours in my pantry and I need to start making my way through them, so I can totally relate. Have you tried mixing about 1/2-1 tbsp of chia into your oats about halfway through cooking them? It really thickens them up and I can’t even tell the seeds are in there. I need to give bulger a try….that’s one I haven’t tasted yet.
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Nerve-wracking DayMy Profile

64 Lisa @ Live and Be Awesome May 22, 2013 at 11:47 am

That was me and almond meal. And pretty much every type of flour that’s not white or whole wheat. Since I’m not gluten free there’s really no need for me to use other types of flours, so I don’t know why I bothered!
Lisa @ Live and Be Awesome recently posted..The Past Nine Years (Part 2)My Profile

65 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) May 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Hahaha love this. I never tried any of the crazy, obscure blogger recipes – you’re braver than I am. I appreciate the friendships from blogging more :)

66 Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen May 22, 2013 at 12:09 pm

My parents definitely think some of my foods are weird but I’m lucky in that they are always down to *try* one of my weird ingredients! I’m actually going to take them hemp seed because I have too much of it. Okay so it will probably just be sitting in the back of their pantry instead of mine but whatever!

I have a ton of flax seed that I’d like to get through!
Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen recently posted..Conserving FoodMy Profile

67 Hollie May 22, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I actually won quite a few giveaways in the span of a month getting a bunch of free blogging foodie items that honestly I don’t use. I actually was just talking about having a giveaway to get rid of it. There are always interesting foods I would have never tried if I didn’t blog (almond butter and almond milk) but there is a lot that I’m just like…uhh what.
Hollie recently posted..Empire Brewery ReviewMy Profile

68 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I’m in the same boat. I owe a lot of great food finds to blogging (AB, Greek yogurt), buuuuut I’d have to say that the nasty stuff outweighs the good :?

69 Letizia May 22, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Great post!! I have SO MANY blog world inspired misses!! Such a waste of money! First, hemp seeds! What am I supposed to do with them? I tried to sprinkle them on salads but I didn’t like it. Then, there is coconut flour. It was good at first, but I quickly got tired of it. Also, I have so many different protein powders! It’s like I am a bodybuilder or something! So unnecessary. Unfortunately, I realized too late that I didn’t need that much protein… 3 1kg tubs are in my pantry right now. I have to give them to one of my guy friends. I also didn’t like Artisana’s coconut butter and raw almond butter. Such a shame because they are really expensive. Oh well, live and learn.

Eventually I ended up realizing that I just prefer the foods I grew up with: Pasta, bread, regular butter. I don’t know why I thought the newer foods were so necessary.

I really like bulgur too, because it cooks so much faster than rice! I also love quinoa. I have never tried amaranth, millet, and buckwheat. I am going to stick to bulgur for now.

70 Nicole May 22, 2013 at 12:53 pm

You have definitely perfected that stuffed chicken breast because I just checked out the original recipe and your pictures are almost identical! I need your skills, dude.

And I actually just in the past year finally gave protein powders a try after seeing them so much, but I’m not a fan… they make me all bloated and uncomfortable. So that’s actually what’s in my pantry and I keep thinking I should use at least a little at a time because I don’t want them to go to waste! Maybe if I feel like staying in all day I’ll whip up a smoothie or something and just deal with a prego belly… lol.

71 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I have the same reaction to protein powders, and I’ve found that the best way to avoid the preggo belly is to either bake with them or use them in some kind of protein bites.

72 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Enjoyed reading this post! My pantry is busting at the seams too! In fact, I went grocery shopping the other day and when I went to put the food away, I had no room for stuff and I dropped like 3 things on the floor trying to make room. So annoying!

I currently have a bag of bulgur wheat in my pantry. I used it once in a recipe that I ended up not being too crazy about, and its been sitting there ever since. I should give it another try! I also have quinoa, which I love and barley, which is very good too!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Our Weekend in PA Dutch Country – Day 3 and 4My Profile

73 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 22, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I think we can all relate to this one!! I found Nuttzo on sale which I kept seeing all over blog world so I gave it a try and was not impressed. And I’m sure I could dig up a ton of other things that were blog inspired in the back of my pantry!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Thank You + Howling CocoMy Profile

74 Ja @ Ja on the RUN May 22, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I am in the same boat. My pantry is over loaded with stuff I already forgot I have. :) I could totally relate.
Ja @ Ja on the RUN recently posted..Reebok Spartan Race Entry GIVEAWAY and DISCOUNT!My Profile

75 Andrea @pencils and pancakes May 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm

No a fan of chia seeds either…..
Andrea @pencils and pancakes recently posted..Acorn Squash Hamburger ‘Rolls’My Profile

76 Michelle @ Mishfish13 May 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Ahh! The things you have are always so unique! I always just fool around with the blandest things ever. I need to start trying ONE new food every week.
Michelle @ Mishfish13 recently posted..WIAWMy Profile

77 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I actually end up eating a lot of the same things for the most part… I used to do a lot of new food experimenting in the past and I think I’ve basically figured out all the hits and misses. It’s always worth a try, though! You may find things that you really love :)

78 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 22, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I often find things in the back of my cupboards that I have totally forgotten about. It’s such a bad habit of mine!
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..{WIAW} “Me” day and health shop haulMy Profile

79 Lift, Sleep, Eat May 22, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I’m always reading about crazes but thankfully since a lot of the stuff isn’t really widely available in the UK I haven’t rushed out to buy anything that I now have no use for! My cupboards still end up getting pretty stocked up as I end up buying loads of things and then don’t want to eat it all at once/every day as I feel it would get repetitive so it ends up sitting there forever!!
I actually haven’t tried buckwheat or anything like that; as I thought I would probably never end up using it all..I’ll stick to my beloved oats!
Lift, Sleep, Eat recently posted..WIAW : One Down 4 To GoMy Profile

80 Ali May 22, 2013 at 4:36 pm

And this… is why I love your blog. Keepin’ real for all of us readers. I cannot agree with you more about the need to stop and keep yourself in check before running out to buy what you see on someone’s blog. I too fell prey to the Barney Butter pushers and not again! Never again will I will be influenced in that way. That’s some nasty shite right there. I am also not a fan of any of the Justin’s brand almond butters. In general, I find that I am not a fan of any almond butters that include anything beyond simply almonds, duh. I mean, why do they have to add sweeteners and this and that when you have the whole yummy goodness of real almonds! Gah! I’ll never understand it. Of the foods that you have had up, I love, love, LOVE MJ’s Almond Butter, Kashi Cinnamon Wheat Cereal and the Oikos Coconut Yogurt (which I happened to have just eaten prior to seeing your first post – great minds!)

As a fellow (lady) Cdn, I have to admit that I get a little too excited to pick up any of the purported treasures that those in the states go googoo gaga over on their blogs – the one that stands out recently are Quest Bars (I was so excited to find them), and they are NASTY. That’s just my opinion but ugh, so gross. Yeah, they may be low in calories but they are hella sweet and just overall artificial tasty. No thanks. Would rather just throw together a treat with natural ingredients and call it a day.

Anyway, great post. Good Food for Thought, hehehe… ;)

81 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 8:00 pm

You may just be the first person to admit that you don’t like Quest bars, and seeing as our tastes seem to be so similar (MJ’s, Cinnamon Harvest, coconut Oikos), I’m going to assume that I wouldn’t enjoy them either. I can’t have them because of allergies, so it’s nice to feel like I’m not missing out :D

82 Sabrina May 22, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Funny post! Curiosity always gets the better of me and admittedly, I easily fall prey to food trends – with good and bad outcomes. While [steel cut] oats and coconut butter has been life-changingly awesome, nutritional yeast, flaxseeds, some brands of energy bars, grain-based cereals and cereal (eg Kashi, Cascadian Farms etc) in general doesn’t quite sit with my palate. *I know you’re going to kill me for the latter.*

Regarding amaranth, like Gloria said above, you just gotta try popped amaranth (see Edible Perspective)! It’s toasty flavour is so much more palatable than plain bland amaranth. Though it can get a little messy popping those bits (they fly everywhere), it’s all great fun! And if all else fails, just add banana, cinnamon and almond butter and all is saved. :D

83 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 22, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Well this post is timely! I was actually going through my mom’s pantry last week because she requested that I clear out the 4329832 bags of “who knows what” (<—her words) that I've stockpiled at her house over the years. I lived at home for nine months in 2010, which was also when I started reading healthy living blogs. Needless to say, I simultaneously began collecting a slew of off-beat ingredients that I'd never heard of. Many "experiments" went down, and if I remember correctly, 95% of them were major flops. All of those mystery ingredients are (surprise!) still sitting around the house. A few that I found: chia seeds, quinoa flakes, amaranth (in case you're wondering, it's just ehhh—definitely not a buy-again!), arrowroot powder, tapioca powder, and guar gum (ewww).

A blog trend that I was never able to get on board with is chia pudding. I made it once, and ended up tossing the entire thing. Throwing out food isn't something I do easily at all, but I couldn't choke the stuff down–no matter how much chocolate and peanut butter I added!

Hope you're having a great Wednesday, Amanda! <3
Sara @ Nourish and Flourish recently posted..Banana Bread Protein Pancakes and Park City EatsMy Profile

84 Miss Polkadot May 23, 2013 at 8:32 am

Your mum sounds just like mine :D – I’m glad to know I’m not the only one hogging up pantry space at my parents’.
Miss Polkadot recently posted..When life hands you [avocado]My Profile

85 Eating 4 Balance May 22, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Buckwheat is one of my favorite flours ever. Homemade buckwheat pancakes drenched in syrup is such a great way to start the day.

Let’s see… what else did you buy? Lol. :) Coconut flour is so great in baked breads. I have quite a few recipes on my blog using coconut flour. You just have to make sure you get the other measurements right or it turns out really dense! And quinoa/rice flakes… Those are great to make just a simple porridge. Cook with some water/milk, add in sugar/stevia/whatever. Eat like cream of wheat!

I saw the link for this polenta pie on Peace Love and Oats awhile back: http://www.poshmeetspavement.com/2013/01/vegan-polenta-pie.html Great way to use up those corn grits! Or make simple polenta and top in syrup. Another delicious breakfast (love love love breakfast foods!).

There are some things that I’ve tried to jump on the bandwagon with in the past. Like cottage cheese or savory oats. Those are just not me though. I’m also not a huge fan of flavored yogurt either. I think my taste buds are constantly adjusting though. Who knows? Maybe if I try them again someday I’ll find that I love them!

86 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, girl! I’ll definitely keep picking away at them, slowly but surely. I’ve wanted to do more baking with coconut flour, but it’s definitely a fickle one, and the measurements are hard to get just right. I do love the taste and texture that it gives baked goods, though.

87 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body May 22, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I am totally the same way with being tired after getting home from work and having no creativity. I definitely have a pantry full of things that needs to get used up, most of which I bought when they were on sale. I actually really like bulgur!
Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted..Lessons From VacationMy Profile

88 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny May 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm

i gave myself a mission recently to not go food shopping until i had cleaned out the fridge and pantry. i did great for about a week, until i ran out of anything fresh and had to subsidize! iv’e since given up…
it’s nice, though, to have a little bit of extra room! I’ve got a thing of corn flour sitting in my pantry that i’m not sure what to do with…
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..WIAW: what is healthyMy Profile

89 nicole May 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm

you’re hilarious, i love your “stank eyes” ;) you seem to have accumulate quite the healthy-foodie-blog stash there.. i need to go grocery shopping, and this is a nice reminder to not overbuy things i may not need. i hope you find delicious recipes to use up these items! :)
nicole recently posted..To be healthyMy Profile

90 Emily May 22, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I totally feel you, girl. I actually set up a ‘challenge’ for myself at the beginning of this month to use up as much of the stuff that has been cluttering my pantry/freezer as possible. So far I’ve made quite a bit of progress! And this post definitely inspired me to get even more creative…

The one thing I haven’t been able to find a use for are chia seeds. I seriously cannot STAND them. Weird, I know. Oh and I also have a bag of TVP (that I bought thinking I would make homemade seitan) and now I have no idea what to do with it…le sigh.

PS: Chocolate is always acceptable in the morning. Always. (:
Emily recently posted..inside my brain #1My Profile

91 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 22, 2013 at 10:42 pm

The only way I’ve found to use chia seeds is to toss them into smoothies. If you grind the heck out of them, the texture is a lot less noticeable. And as a bonus, they make the smoothie a lot thicker too :)

92 Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition May 22, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I can relate to this haha- I think I have about 6 different flours going right now! Why have I not bough coconut flour? I feel like I am missing out! And I’ll let you know if I come across a good amaranth recipe :)
Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition recently posted..WIAW- Lately!My Profile

93 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie May 22, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I feel like a total HLB sheep because I use and love so many of those products–coconut flour is my personal favorite, I love Sunwarrior and Vega protein powders and I use chia seeds a lot in homemade chia jams. But there is way too much brand whoring (is that appropriate lol?) in the blogging world and I usually don’t care much for the brand of choice. Bloggers always make a huge deal about certain brands and I feel like it’s just a popularity contest or a way to get the company to send them products for free. I like to say good things about products I love, especially if they’re lesser known brands, but I’m definitely not trying to score some free stuff. I do like to try new things and new brands, but if I don’t absolutely love it, I’m probably not buying it again.
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..WIAW: Best of the WeekMy Profile

94 kris May 22, 2013 at 10:43 pm

The pantry of a blogger for sure haha. I need to do a pantry clean up soon.
Something that’s really been a miss for me is canned pumpkin. I can do with it in baked goods, but some of the other ways I’ve seen it used was so not for me.
I have a bag of buckwheat flour in my pantry thats been sitting there for wayy too long. Everything I used it with just came out so dense. I’ve definitely learned to take precautions before buying things now. I still make impulse buys after seeing items on blogs, but I think I’ve scaled it back quite a bit already.
I’m still interested in the whole popping of the amaranth though! Ever since I’ve seen it I’ve been intrigued.
kris recently posted..coconut butter vs. coconut oilMy Profile

95 Courtney @ Star Systemz May 22, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I too used to obsess over buying whatever was in the blog realm but have saved boat loads of cash straying away from the useless powders + other supplements and actually feel much better and my body has become what I want it to be just by saying real food. Thanks for sharing all of your eats I do enjoy buckwheat groats from time to time. Love + Shine Courtstar
Courtney @ Star Systemz recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: WIAWMy Profile

96 Kat @ a dash of fairydust May 23, 2013 at 2:58 am

Uuuhm,yes… I SO know what you’re talking about,girl.
Until not too long ago,I felt like I needed EVERYTHING the “holy” “clean” blog world was talking about – and oh. my. gosh. Where is all my precious money?!
Some stupid buys of mine would be
- Protein Powders: I’ve tried like A LOT of different brands,but not only had I problems finding good ways to incorporate them into my diet,they also made me feel SO super sick it was awful. Of course,I ate them anyways because,you know… I needed the protein punch. Not.
- peanut flour: My attempt on cutting back on fat and finding a replacement for peanut butter. Needless to say,not very successful. {Plus,mine has huge lumps in it which makes it impossible to make a smooth paste with it. Bleh.}
- Chickpea flour: Okay,I’ve once made socca crackers with it,but that’s pretty much all I have ever used it for {and they took hours to crisp up so it was a huge waste of energy,too!}. I’ve tried to make normal socca,too,but I didn’t quite like it too much… I prefer wraps or regular pancakes.
And then… The WORST…
Quest bars. Some taste very good,no doubt,but since I have a problem with protein powder and they consist of practically nothing else {and a little nut butter}… Ouch. And I’ve spent a FORTUNE on themas I needed to let them ship to Germany… Aaaah,I am getting angry with myself again now,so I better stop.
Kat @ a dash of fairydust recently posted..WIAWow.My Profile

97 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 23, 2013 at 6:57 am

You’re the second person to say that they don’t like Quest bars, which makes me feel a little better about not being able to eat them. Everyone seems to rave about them, so it’s nice to hear that they’re not all they’re cracked up to be. And don’t get mad, girl… we’ve all fallen into the trap… countless times.

98 Katie May 23, 2013 at 4:30 am

Haha! Yes the blog world can inspire you to try new things and you end up buying lots of stuff! The garbanzo flour was one thing that was a miss for me, I never really used it, but saw so many bloggers loving it and making recipes with it!

Happy Thursday love!
Katie recently posted..5 YearsMy Profile

99 Jo @ Living Mint Green May 23, 2013 at 5:09 am

Misses:
Quest bars (they are THE WORST)
Flavoured Vega protein powder
CAROB
Stevia – I hate it more than anything I’ve ever hated in my entire life
Vans waffles – they’re oily & crumbly… Natures Path toaster waffles are THE BEST
And I agree, Barney butter does suck – I was so disappointed that it ended up being like Kraft PB
-The worst HLB recipe I’ve ever tried was eggy oats – *don’t be mad* – I just couldn’t get past the horrific texture or the taste. I *wanted* to like it, though! :D

All in all though, I find health food stores have the most influence on me – I love trying all sorts of food and I get excited when I see something new.
Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted..Simple Summer SaladMy Profile

100 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 23, 2013 at 5:47 am

Hahaha this is the story of my life. I can’t even fit all my foods in my pantry, so I have to store most of them in a shelving unit in another room. :P And some of them I’ve barely used because I don’t know what to do with them, like coconut flour, quinoa flour, buckwheat groats, and oat bran.

I’ve liked a lot of the products I’ve tried because of blogs, but I’ve never really been a fan of frozen waffles. They’re all really hard, tasteless and unsatisfying to me!

I love bulgur, especially paired with tomato dishes. Millet is good too! I wasn’t a big fan of amaranth though. I made a savoury side dish out of it for dinner, but it seemed more like it should be a hot cereal. It was kind of soupy! I probably prepared it incorrectly though haha.
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Birthday dinner at KindfoodMy Profile

101 Kat May 23, 2013 at 8:39 am

Ummmm is that chicken dish for realz? Cause holy gosh I need it.
And I am def grateful to the things the blogworld has introduced me to, but some I def could have done without!! Like I love adding xantham to my smoothies to get them SUPER thick so that I can douse them with cereal or whatever other toppings I want. But Im not really a fan of quinoa, unless Im baking with it or blending it up. Although sometimes I do like using it mixed with oats, but by itself Im not that huge of a fan!!
Kat recently posted..Cilantro Lime SauceMy Profile

102 Sarah May 24, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I must say you deserve credit for this one. My pantry’s not nearly as stocked but I do have some not so favorites lurking and it’s driving me nuts. I have a whole bag of coconut flour and coconut butter and I just don’t like either right now!
Sarah recently posted..Suggestions For Running?My Profile

103 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets May 25, 2013 at 9:27 am

I like this post because it’s so spot on. I have a host of pantry staples I need to work through like Arborio rice and coconut flour. Yep, not a fan of coconut flour but I have a large bag just staring at me every time I open the pantry. I’m pretty sure the coconut flour is giving me the stank eye.
You did a great job working your way through some of this stuff. I’ll have to follow suit.
Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted..Week In Review: The Eighteenth EditionMy Profile

104 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate May 25, 2013 at 4:31 pm

While I don’t have quite as large of a collection as you’ve acquired, I am definitely guilty of doing this as well. Luckily, I love experimenting with foods and have founds uses for almost everything, and even found ways to make the failure products edible. ;-)
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Five Facts on FridayMy Profile

105 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 26, 2013 at 12:37 am

Seriously?! I am SO glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like Barney Butter! I just don’t get the blogworld’s obsession with it! And I’m also happy to know I’m not the only one with an embarrassing amount of open cereal boxes in her pantry! But hey, I have gotten it down to 4 in the last few weeks (of course that’s only counting the OPEN ones!) Lol

It’s funny that you posted this because I just decided that I’m going to have to do some major cleaning out of the pantry before I do ANY more shopping! It’s gotten completely out of hand! Like you said, I just keep pushing aside the things I don’t love/have no idea what to do with and end up buying more of the stuff I use everyday. There’s no telling HOW long I’ve had some of the grains in there! But I do need to say a big THANK YOU for this…because I had totally forgotten until just now how much I LOVE bulgar! And I have an obscene amount right now…definitely need to cook up a batch for this weeks meals! I guess I’ll be doing some meal preppin’ tomorrow for sure!

Ugh…chia seeds…why was I so enamored with you in the beginning? You are tasteless and basically serve no purpose in the satisfaction category…and you get stuck in my teeth…I hate you.
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Blends, Bits, & BreaksMy Profile

106 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 26, 2013 at 6:35 pm

:lol: That’s exactly why I hate chias too… I can’t stand the texture or the fact that they get stuck in my teeth. And I’ve been wondering about how long some grains have been sitting in my pantry as well. Do those things ever go bad? :shock:

107 Emma May 26, 2013 at 10:04 am

I can definitely relate to this! Honestly, whatever possessed me to buy buckwheat, I will NEVER know. I tried making pancakes with it… let’s just say I haven’t eaten pancakes in a while :( Also, WHERE ON EARTH did you find Sunbutter in Edmonton? I’ve seen so many bloggers raving about it but have never been able to find it! Yay for finding somebody else living in this forgotten tundra though, haha.
Emma recently posted..Tropical Tango SmoothieMy Profile

108 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm

They sell Sunbutter in Planet Organic :)

109 Jess May 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I have some “simmering sauce” from Trader Joe’s I’d totally forgotten about. Your post just reminded me I should make something with it soon!
Jess recently posted..Best MedicineMy Profile

110 Albizia May 28, 2013 at 7:40 am

There isn’t even enough space for so much food in my “pantry”. I have a single cupboard and it’s already stuffed with more than it can handle. I don’t think I’ve ever bought something that I didn’t know what to do with under the influence of other blogs. The only product I’m not sure how to finish is a bottle of molasses of the wrong kind. It just has a too sharp flavour for eating with tahini on bread and I don’t have time for baking.

Actually bulgur, millet and buckwheat are pretty popular in other countries. Millet and buckwheat are as popular in Russia as cereal in western countries. I love them all.

111 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 28, 2013 at 8:29 am

Buckwheat is really popular in Poland, and I actually grew up eating a lot of that, but millet and bulgur less so. As for the molasses, I have a bottle of it hanging out in my pantry too, but at least you don’t really have to worry about it ever going bad…