. WIAW … i totally did .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on November 21, 2012

Hey hey, it’s Wednesday! :D

But my guess is that you’re not here for me to tell you what day of the week it is – you want to know whether I did or didn’t give in to what may or may not have been a craving for hot and crispy McDonald’s fries…

I totally did :D

And holy.wow were they ever good – exactly like I remember. I was kind of worried that the greasiness would leave me feeling sick, but in all honesty? No problems whatsoever. I can’t handle the healthy stuff, but when it comes to junk food I seem to have a stomach of steel. Huh. I’m honestly not quite sure how to interpret that…

Oh well. It is what it is. It’s probably not something that’ll become a regular part of my diet, but when the craving hits? Definitely. I just hope the craving doesn’t decide to hit at 1 AM like it used to back in the day – let’s just say that I spent quite a bit of time waiting in line at 24-hour drive throughs. True story.

And speaking of 1 AM… I actually managed to get to sleep at a decent hour last night – 12:30! Oddly enough, I’m feeling pretty darn good today – I’m actually starting to think that my body has a mind of its own, because no matter what I do, it seems to randomly do its own thing. At least I know how to satisfy a grumbling stomach, though…

Breakfast

Kashi Cinnamon Harvest,  plain Greek yogurt, a banana, Puffins, homemade applesauce, and roasted almond butter.

Snack

Enjoy Life Cocoa Loco chewy bar – black tea.

Lunch

Turkey and hummus sandwich – random veggies.

Snack

Applesauce with yogurt, a sliced banana, and cinnamon. This cup x3 because it wouldn’t all fit in one go.

Snack

Plain Greek yogurt with honey.

Me time

Starbucks Cappuccino

Dinner

TBD! I baked up a bunch of sweet potatoes so I’ll probably have a couple of those with something else. I’m thinking yogurt and almond butter.

Yesss. All in all, I’d say it was a pretty good day of eats. My car had a flat this morning, so I ended up having to work from home… which basically translates to being able to eat whatever the heck I wanted. No complaints! As for the rest of the evening, I’m seeing a movie, a big bowl of popcorn, and maybe a certain guy in my very near future ;)

See you guys tomorrow!

What’s your favorite fast food? McD’s fries (and chicken nuggets) will always be my #1.
Ever make any midnight food runs? Story of my life in my late teens and early 20′s.
Favorite way to eat sweet potatoes? With yogurt, AB, and cinnamon.

1 Aimee November 21, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Favorite fast food- pizza!! I definitely remember late night food and coffee runs when I was in college. Those were fun times! Roasted sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine – I actually like mine savory – topped with grated Parmesan cheese. What can I say – I love cheese!!
Can’t wait to hear more about the mystery guy!

2 Miss Polkadot November 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Yay you, Amanda! Giving in to a craving is good but giving in to a fast food craving is more of an accomplishment in the healthy living blogosphere. As I keep calling you an inspiration I guess it’s time to tackle the fries myself. Maybe a certain guy in my life might support me :)?!

Applesauce with cinnamon and yogurt is a favourite snack of mine, too.

Okay, I’m going to admit right here that I haven’t yet gotten the sweet potato hype. Maybe I’m doing something wrong??? I don’t really enjoy them, shame on me.

Which movie are you going to watch? Great you’re getting to see a certain someone again soon!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Whipping out the big girl pantiesMy Profile

3 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Definitely have your guy take you out for some fries! It’s great to have that extra support, and it feels like having fun in college all over again :D Oh and don’t worry about not liking sweet potatoes – they’re not something that you have to force down :P To be honest, I could take them or leave them… Mom just happened to give me some extras that she had lying around, which is why I cooked them.

4 Alex @ therunwithin November 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Holy yummy. You make everything look amazing. I wish those french fries were gluten free, I am telling you that is one thing I do miss about being celiacs is being able to get fries anywhere. Also, can I just say I am so glad I started following your blog? I am just so happy to see someone who freaking understands balance, moderation and most of all living. You make me happy. On a daily basis.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..No More SleepsMy Profile

5 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate November 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I haven’t had fast food since 2008. LOL.

I still eat fries though :)
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..This WeekMy Profile

6 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 21, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Yay for giving your body what you wanted! All your meals look great too! Love it!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

7 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 21, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Booster Juice is totally my favourite fast food. If it counts?? I think it should!! :)
And to reiterate my text … AHHHHHhhhh!!! SO PROUD OF YOUUUU!!!! :D
Girl — you’re rocking it. Way to take advantage of life. This is a total victory and you are a rockstar. Love you!!!! xo
Ps. Star Wars = best date night movie. There’s quite a bit to enjoy for both parties watching and there are enough boring sections to be able to appreciate the company. ;)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Memories Old and NewMy Profile

8 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Haha! I’d never even considered watching Star Wars – heck, it’s been ages since I’ve seen it. I’ll keep that in mind though ;)

9 Katie November 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Have fun at the movie!!! I am so glad that is going well! <3

AND I love McDonald's french fries dipped in sweet and sour sauce! The best!!!

Katie recently posted..What Wednesday!My Profile

10 Brittany November 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm

YESS YOU got them!! I am so glad you did!! Was that the key??! Did the cravings stop!? HAA. I haven’t make a late night run in a while..well I take that back. One time like 2 weeks ago I ran to BK for fries..and they SUCKED! I was so sad. Ohh YES man time!
Brittany recently posted..Straight to the PointMy Profile

11 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yessss they definitely stopped after that. Thank goodness because I was kind of going insane. Boo about the BK fries – I hate when that happens.

12 Caitlin November 21, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Ahhhh I love the fact that you went to McDonalds for fries! My personal fast food favs would have to be wendys fries for the straight ones, arbys for curly fries or a random diner for steak fries…or any sweet potato fry known to man…
Caitlin recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

13 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 21, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I’m so glad you listened to your body! I can’t eat fast food anymore. I had my gallbladder out and I can’t take the grease anymore. Serious pain ensues! :(
I used to love McD’s fries dipped in honey!
You need to throw some cinnamon and coconut butter on those sweet potatoes!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..WIAW #26 On The RoadMy Profile

14 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 12:44 pm

McD’s dipped in honey?! Omigosh I’ve never tried that but it sounds amazing!

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Harvey’s onion rings! So, so good. While I’m not big on McD’s fries, that sweet and sour sauce has a habit for making absolutely everything taste amazing!

There’s a place a few blocks away that’s open 24/7 and has fries, burritos, ice cream, desserts, burgers…I’m just waiting for some midnight munchies so I can take advantage. :-D

And I like sweet potatoes with cinnamon and butter. Super simple but delicious.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW #11: Chicago Eats.My Profile

16 Olivia @ Life As Liv November 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Chik-fil-a all the way. Give me a chicken biscuit with a medium diet lemonade any day. I get ice cream cravings in the middle of the night. Hello, Steak and Shake chocolate milkshake, I’m talking to you. As far as sweet potatoes go, I prefer to cut them up, cover them in salt and coconut oil, and then roast those babies. The end result? Delicious sweet potato fries.
Olivia @ Life As Liv recently posted..Happy Holidays + Guest PostMy Profile

17 Floey November 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I need mcdonalds every so often. I just love it :) And it sits well with me too! So nostalgic
Floey recently posted..Right Now.My Profile

18 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Definitely nostalgic. Actually reminds me so much of family vacations as a kid.

19 Jess(ica) November 21, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Fast food.

It’s been…God, it’s been so VERY, VERY long. I don’t even remember, that’s how long it’s been. Funny considering four-five years ago, I used to eat it all the time without a second thought. Seems a lifetime ago, but I do remember that McDonald’s fries are pretty damn good when they’re fresh. Whenever I went there I always made sure to ask when the last time they changed their grease was, and that I didn’t mind waiting for them to make a fresh batch. It made a huge difference in the quality of the fry. Or so my memory recollects…God, that was a long time ago.

Favorite fast food? Hmm. There’s nothing quite like a good hamburger. For a ‘plain’ one, McD’s regular burgers were tasty. But lately when I’m in my ED daydreams about food that I want, I’ve found myself craving a Rally/Checker’s burger and french fries. Their burgers have this charbroiled taste and juiciness to them and the fries? Don’t get me started. Ironically enough a Rally’s burger and fries is on my ED Bucket List. I hope to cross it off as accomplished one day soon enough.

And then there’s pizza. Pizza Hut, and a chain in my area called Marco’s is my favorite; a pizza with chewy, garlicky crust, pepperoni, jalapenos, red/green peppers, extra pizza sauce and Frank’s Red Hot sprinkled on top. That’s the kind of food that literally makes you feel good about everything, I swear.

Sweet potato french fries. Another goal on my list. Which really makes me feel like an idiot because it’s a friggin vegetable and I’ve let myself become afraid to eat it. But! You’ll be glad to know that there is one sitting on my kitchen table right now, and sooner rather than later, it will be going into my belly, fear or no fear. Recovery ftw!

My first two years in college I did the midnight food runs all the time- the good old days. B.E.D. (Before the Eating Disorder) Me and my sister/roomie ordered and smashed on boneless buffalo wings, pizza, wraps, piping hot cookies from a bakery down the street- all that good stuff that college kids eat lol. What I remember most from that time is literally feeling happy when I ate. The food was probably the furthest thing from ‘healthy’ as it could be, and the thought of eating it to me now is terrifying, but I literally remember feeling joyful as me and my sister ate together during those times. The meals were experiences that made me feel better- not in a gluttonous kind of way, but because it was really good food, and I was watching a favorite movie with my best friend and having a good time.

ED took that away from me. Now, I have this hate-obsessive relationship with my meals where instead of enjoying them, I scrutinize them for any flaw that I can pick out to try and guilt myself into. Sometimes I so wish I could throw up my hands and scream “Who the hell CARES about the calories? Someone take me out for a burger/fries or order me a damn pizza…or both!” lol

Fast food. Yeah, it’s not the healthiest thing scientifically and nutritionally that you could put in your body, but having been on both ends of the spectrum I can say that there is a freedom and a state of mental and physical ‘healthiness’ in eating fast food that I’ve never been able to have while stuck in my so called ‘healthy’ lifestyle change. Ever. So people can take that for whatever it’s worth.

Thanks Amanda :-)

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm

My hiatus from fast food lasted about 4 or 5 years as well, so you’re due to enjoy some soon. Let’s go out for a burger and fries ;)

21 Jessie November 21, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I love that you ventured to the arch’s & got yourself some crispy fries! I don’t remember when the last time I had fast food french fries was.. but dang, yours look pretty darn tasty! Hope your night ended exactly how you hoped it would :).

Favorite Fast Food: Does subway count?
Oh & yes, especially when Joshua was deployed. I made quite a few trips to Taco Bell, oh & to the grocery store to get big bags of peanut m&ms :)
Jessie recently posted..Thankful Thursday: Happy ThanksgivingMy Profile

22 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie November 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Now I really want a sweet potato! I love them with almond butter, maple syrup and dark chocolate, or taco style with black beans, guac and salsa. Buuuuuut now I’m kind of in the mood for some sweet potato fries, I love the spicy ones made by Alexia.
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..WIAW: Ashley LatelyMy Profile

23 Khushboo November 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm

When I saw your fries Instagram, it made me smile so much….glad you went for it! And they look divine. I know they’re probably made with absolute crap, but I still have a soft spot for their chicken nuggets…naturally dipped in BBQ sauce!

I take it you’re a fan of a dairy? Haha you and me both, my friend…my yogurt consumption makes up for those who are lactose intolerant (poor guys)! As for my favorite sweet potato topper, I’m going to have to go with cottage cheese & baked beans- mmmm!
Khushboo recently posted..Giving thanksMy Profile

24 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm

A fan of dairy? Pft! What gave it away? Was it the fact that I go through a huge tub of yogurt on basically a daily basis? And here I was thinking that I was being discreet…

25 Devon @ Health in Equilibrium November 21, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I am 100% in support of eating McDonald’s fries when you crave them. I had pizza tonight! I wanted it, I ate it, and I’m happy as a clam :)

And knock on wood when you say you have a stomach of steel!!! After my first two months in India, I was the only one in my group of 25 who hadn’t been hugging a toilet bowl at some point. For some reason, I found it necessary to brag to my friends about my “iron stomach” one night… Let’s just say that Karma decided to come back and drop-kick me in the intestines less than 24 hours later. I’ll spare you the details.
Devon @ Health in Equilibrium recently posted..Why Does it Matter?My Profile

26 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Ack! That doesn’t sound pleasant at all! I only seem to have a stomach of steel when it comes to junk food… anything else and my stomach is super sensitive!

27 Jun November 21, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I don’t crave fast food, but I definitely crave junk food!

And I don’t know if it’s a habit of mine or what, but I have the tendency of eating food just by itself. If I were to eat sweet potato I’d eat it plain (instead of stirring it in oatmeal), if I were to eat a banana I’d eat it plain (topping it with nut butter or slicing them into my bowl of cereal never came across my mind), also I prefer having an apple in terms of eating it as a fruit instead of juicing it or incorporating it into baked goods… Strange to a lot of people how I actually enjoy consuming food in its most original state… but that’s how I roll.

On another note, it’s delightful knowing you’re currently doing better!

28 Lucie November 22, 2012 at 1:20 am

Favorite fast food….hmmmm. McFlurry with M&M’s. I can’t eat the rest of McD, not because of my ED, I just can’t stand the taste – never could not even as a child. BUT I loved burritos when I was over in the U.S. and today I totally love Pizza as Fast Food. Or Subway. Haha, give me midnight food runs – old fashioned Switzerland is not allowed to have 24hours shops. NO Food after midnight, yup. So you see why I always have my kitchen stocked up!!
Lucie recently posted..Thankful Thursday #4My Profile

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I had no idea you guys didn’t have 24 hour shops! Honestly, that’s kind of a nice thing, inconvenient maybe, but the go-go-go attitude that North Americans have can be a little tiring.

30 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 22, 2012 at 3:30 am

I love having baked sweet potatoes all ready prepared in batches like that. They make meals so easy when you have no time.
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..{WIAW} Waitrose treatsMy Profile

31 M November 22, 2012 at 5:04 am

Amanda! I’ve been sort of lurking around for a while… I really like your blog and the way you write! Two days ago, I decided to get a few sweet potatoes even though I had never really paid attention to them before, cept for sad attempt at making sweet potato fries, which didn’t come out too well. Anyways. So I wanted to bake them in the oven and I didn’t know what topping to use. So I thought to myself “Hey! I’m sure Amanda has a few ideas on her blog!”. I didn’t really find what I was looking for, so I ended up having mine with cottage cheese and a bit of soy sauce since I wanted a savory side dish. And man, did I enjoy it! And then yesterday, what do I see? Yay! Sweet potatoes in your post! :P I was so craving it, I couldn’t wait to get home and eat leftovers after work… :D Hope you have a great day! M xx

32 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Well that’s a tasty coincidence! I’ve never tried adding soy sauce, but the cottage cheese combo is fabulous :D If only my sweet tooth wasn’t so adamant…

33 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 22, 2012 at 5:43 am

I love that you went out and got Mickey D’s! I think you might be one of the first blogs that I’ve seen a picture of McDonalds on. And I love you for that. :D My favourite fast food is their McFlurries! And I also really love Subway, even if I end up smelling like it for the rest of the day haha.

I’m thinking of roasting up some sweet potatoes later on today too! My favourite way to eat them is with Barney Butter.
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..A weekend for myselfMy Profile

34 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) November 22, 2012 at 6:30 am

You did it!! Awesome. Worth every bite :)

Roasting up sweet potatoes ahead of time is always a great time-saver. Haven’t eaten one with yogurt before but I love them with either hummus or almond butter.

35 Jo November 22, 2012 at 6:34 am

I had a McDonald’s on Saturday (double cheeseburger – NO relish – and large fries), it felt naughty but it was SO good. Anyways, i only have them like every couple of months so i reckon that’s ok, right? Like you say you can’t be too strict on yourself or it becomes a chore :)

36 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm

It’s definitely okay. Everything in moderation!

37 Laura November 22, 2012 at 6:38 am

I could be a copout and say Subway, but that’s not REALLY fast food. I really love McDonalds fries, but their McFlurry’s will always be a favorite. OR Wendy’s Frosty’s. Ice cream Ice cream Ice cream!!

Midnight food runs? Never. If I was hungry at that time I would just eat something I already had in the house. I don’t know if it was laziness, seeing it as more “healthy”, or wanting to save money. Maybe all of them?? Mostly laziness. =)

Favorite way to eat Sweet Potatoes? Besides fry form, I love melting sharp cheddar over the top. It sounds a little weird but trust me…it’s good. I love cheese, and I love sweet potatoes.
Laura recently posted..Some Days, I Don’t WorkMy Profile

38 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Hehe if I was at home, I probably wouldn’t bother running out to pick up fast food at 1 AM, but back in my crazy days I was usually out until 2 or 3 more often than not. And I’m not sure if I’ve ever thought to put cheese on sweet potatoes, but it sounds freakin’ delicious so I’m going to have to give it a shot.

39 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 22, 2012 at 8:38 am

That is so awesome that you totally did it!! It looks delicious! Good for you :) .

Now that I am a vegetarian I do not have many fast food options (unless Subway and Jimmy John’s count- both of with I love, by the way!). But during my college years I remember making several late night runs to McDonald’s and Taco Bell. Yum, I can still taste their cheesy fiesta potatoes!

My favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is as french fries dipped in ketchup and mustard.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: November 21, 2012 + A Last-Minute Thanksgiving Breakfast RecipeMy Profile

40 Nicole November 22, 2012 at 11:24 am

Well of course you did! Fries are a perfectly legit snack every once in a while. It’s good to mix things up, then you don’t feel like you’re depriving yourself :)

41 Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) November 22, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Those sweet potatoes look so inviting! Almond butter on them all the way for me :-) When I did eat fast food I loved KFC! Even though I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having fast food occasionally the thought of it makes me feel sick to be honest, I think I OD’d on it and now it just aint happening!

42 Lisa November 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Way to go! I’m impressed you went out and got that, especially all the waiting in line. I’m so impatient;) All your food looks super yummy. Yogurt and sweet potato sounds amazing! Why haven’t I tried this. Need to change that asap!
Lisa recently posted..Busy Trap and VlogMy Profile

43 Anna @AnnaTheApple November 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm

A little bit of what you fancy is a necessity for a sane and healthy life I think! :)
Favourite fast food? Indian take-away for definite. Especially with the really sugary mango chutney. Delicious!
I really can’t eat late at night. I can’t sleep if I’m still digesting…weird I guess but I just don’t crave food in the middle of the night.
Sweet potato and PB2 chcolate flavour. It’s so wrong it’s right hehe!
Anna @AnnaTheApple recently posted..Christmas, coconut flour and Ben & Jerry’sMy Profile

44 Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk November 22, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I find myself craving those delicious salty McDonald’s fries too! There’s just something about them! But I dip them in BBQ sauce, so good!

45 Irina @ Chocolatea Time November 23, 2012 at 9:12 am

Fries! Yum, it’s been a while since I had some (crispy with honey mustard = the best). My favorite fries are from Wendy’s (do you have Wendy’s in Canada?) – they are always so crispy and thick! Looks like now I have a craving for fries too…thanks Amanda :) My favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is with applesauce and coconut butter! I love all potatoes in general, no discrimination here.
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Running Towards GratitudeMy Profile

46 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling November 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Ice cream is usually my go-to midnight food run ;) And sweet potatoes + AB=amazing.
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..Friday FactsMy Profile

47 Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset November 23, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Greek yogurt, sweet potatoes and almond butter is my favourite! Actually, I just ate that ;)
Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..The monster within…My Profile

48 Jess November 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I love sweet potatoes with any and all nut butters.

I was wondering – do you measure any of your foods at all now? With your yoghurt bowls, for example – do you weigh the cereal and other ingredients, not necessarily for calories (getting the ratios right so it tastes good?) I keep trying to work out the portion size but it’s so difficult with the angle of shots and different sizes of plates, bowls, etc.

xxx

49 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I don’t weigh or measure any of my food, no. I just go by how hungry I’m feeling and eyeball it.

50 kris November 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm

i think i need to go find myself a turkey + hummus sandwich right now. it just looks SO good.
kris recently posted..paris + boxed thanksgivingMy Profile