. a curious craving .

by Amanda @ .running with spoons. on November 20, 2012

Oh coffee, I really needed you today…

I’ve officially given up all hope of being able to get to bed at a decent hour – last night’s 1 AM bedtime is becoming pretty standard around these parts, which is crazy considering I used to have trouble staying up past 10. How times have changed. I just wish that my early mornings would adjust themselves accordingly. Sigh. Wishful thinking… So yeah, I really needed coffee today…

Actually, I really needed something today. You know those days where you’re craving a certain something but you have absolutely no idea what it is? So you pick away at about a million things hoping that you’ll get lucky and hit the nail on the head? Today was one of those, and I think I may lose my mind if I don’t figure out how to satisfy this curious craving soon. I tried salty…

I tried sweet…

I tried chocolate…

I tried real food…

Pumpkin hummus tortilla pizza

I even tried sleep…

(sometimes I get super snacky when I’m tired… and yes I have a teddy)

Nothing. That nagging little itch is still there, and it’s been there all day. What gives? It’s not hunger – it’s hunger for something. But what? Ooooo, I know! Breakfast for dinner!

No, that wasn’t it, but it sure was good :D Frankly, I think it’s a lost cause at this point. I’m all for being persistent, but this is just getting ridiculous. Watch my craving be for something super specific likeeee crispy fries and sweet ‘n sour sauce from McD’s. Actually… that doesn’t sound too bad :shock: Ohhhh I’m torn! Should I? Shouldn’t I? Squeak!

Can you relate to my craving frustration?
Do you find yourself feeling snackier when you don’t get enough sleep?
Should I, or shouldn’t I? ;)

1 Daybelis November 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Omg I seriously wish I could meet you’re day, or that you lived next door and we can be the bestow friends lol. All your posts are so relatable it scares me lol.That coffee pic, I dieee… It’s what I need right now. I can definitely relate to your craving frustration, today I didn’t know what I wanted to snack on…tried nuts, cottage cheese, apples, and nothing satisfied me. Suddenly I opened my fridge and saw Lindt chocolate, I was sold ;) when I don’t get enough sleep, I do snack much more, and apparently researchers say its because lettin levels are thrown off sigh. And about your question….give in Hun, you deserve every bit of it. YOLO lol

2 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I’ve heard that about the sleep thing, which worries me since I’ve been getting less and less lately :lol: And yes, neighbors – definitely! We could chat over coffee and chocolate chip cookies!

3 Miss Polkadot November 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Aaaah, I SO get your frustration! I dislike when I can’t pinpoint out a craving and am nibbling on everything but can’t find satisfaction. It feels like “Seriously, body?! I’d give you everything but pleeeease let me know what exactly you want”.

Yes, you should. And please let me come with you. I haven’t had french fries in ages and even though I’m not craving them have been thinking about getting some. Just to show ED who’s boss.

As for your late bed times: Will you tell us more about Mr. Starbucks :)?

Awww, I do have a stuffed animal,too, so no shame. What’s your Teddy’s name and how long have you been having him? I’ve gotten a Waldorf doll my mum made for me and though it’s at my parents’ place still it has a special place in my heart.
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Let’s [not] talk about itMy Profile

4 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Hehe I’ll definitely have to bring up Mr.Starbucks more soon… I’m just trying to figure out how to go about doing it since I’m shy :oops: And my teddy’s name is Trips, and I think I’ve had him since I was 2 or 3… so he’s getting a little old.

5 Alex @ therunwithin November 20, 2012 at 5:20 pm

GOSH i HATE THAT noo really. i hate not knowing what I want and not finding anything that can fill that. it makes me very mad. I hate those days but i have been feeling them lately more than ever. Hopefully you got some relief tonight and get some sleep. Your stamina is amazing, 1 am WOW I would be a crash and burn case.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Where You Least Expect It: #freEDom HitsMy Profile

6 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I totally have days like these too! It’s so frustrating cause nothing seems to do the trick. Sometimes I spend so much time just wandering around my kitchen debating what to have!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Peppermint Chocolate Cupcake for OneMy Profile

7 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate November 20, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I basically always crave cheese and nut butter. Always helps :)
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..This WeekMy Profile

8 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Yup – I’m definitely snacky when I’m low on energy. If it’s a little low, a quick but brisk walk can help. If I’m dragging, then I just need a nap!
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Healthy on a Budget: Saving in the Grocery StoreMy Profile

9 Caitlin November 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I have that problem all the time!! So aggravating :( Anddddddd your Tim Hortons coffee cup made me miss Canada and skating camps in Barrie, ON and Bagels with Timbits for breakfast (#breakfastofchampions for sure ;) )………..and I have a giraffe that I sleep with every night…who cares what anyone thinks, right? Right :)
Caitlin recently posted..FreEDom From FearMy Profile

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Ack Timbits! Love them! Which ones were your favorites? I was a complete sucker for the chocolate glazed.

11 Caitlin November 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

chocolate glazed are my favs hands down…out of any doughnut or bit actually
Caitlin recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

12 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale November 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I TOTALLY have this problem. And OHmygoodness is it EVER annoying!! It was happening nearly daily before, but now that I’m lovin’ on the cereal, not so much. ;) And I find that I get snacky when I’m tired too, and when I’m thirsty. So typically I’ll try the water way first, and then the nap. But that’s only after I’ve tried actually snacking. In the olden days it would have been ignore the craving and to bed, so I’m proud of my new ways. ;)
I sincerely hope you went for the fries. Or at the very least, figured out what you were craving. Perhaps it wasn’t food after all? Perhaps it was a craving for someone whose name starts with a Mr. and rhymes with an Arbucks? ;)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Personal BestMy Profile

13 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I will neither confirm nor deny your last statement! :P

14 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling November 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I definitely still sleep with a stuffed monkey. I have since I was five :) And can I just say that that Tim Hortons cup is too cute? I’m a sucker for anything holiday themed.
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..Marvelous MondayMy Profile

15 Devon @ Health in Equilibrium November 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Can I make a formal request for you to include a picture of said stuffed monkey on a future post? :P
Devon @ Health in Equilibrium recently posted..Why Does it Matter?My Profile

16 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 20, 2012 at 7:07 pm

French fries dipped in sweet and sour sauce actually does sound really really good!! I bet sweet potato fries with sweet and sour sauce would be amazing! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Butternut Squash Mac and CheeseMy Profile

17 Devon @ Health in Equilibrium November 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I’m totally having one of those moments right now!! I’m not hungry, but I’m craving…something. I had a terrible sleep last night, and had to get up at 3am to eat because my hunger was keeping me awake. I always have a super weird appetite when I don’t sleep much, I was ravenous all day. Also, Timmies Christmas cup, holla!
Devon @ Health in Equilibrium recently posted..Why Does it Matter?My Profile

18 Karey @ Nutty About Health November 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Yay for Brinner!! I absolutely love breakfast for dinner. Sorry about the unsatisfied craving… hate that. Yeah, I notice I’m so snacky & hungry when I’m tired… it’s horrible.
Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted..Hydrogenated Oils: Why They’re Bad NewsMy Profile

19 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 20, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I absolutely get snacky when I’m lacking on sleep…when I was working overnights last spring, I became a round-the-clock snacker because trying to sleep when you don’t get to bed until 9 am is ridiculous.

I am 100% supportive of getting McD’s fries. I’ve never been a big fan of them, but you get me near Harvey’s onion rings and I am one happy girl! :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..FreEDom: Back to Normal.My Profile

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

:shock: Never a big fan!?! Girl, it’s a good thing you forgive me for not loving fish, because now we’re even :P

21 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Hehe deal <3
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW #11: Chicago Eats.My Profile

22 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie November 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm

No shame in having a stuffed animal, girl! I sleep with a few every night and I swear they help me sleep better.

When I have weird cravings, I try to satisfy them all by having a snack plate snack or lunch. That way, I can cover sweet, salty, veggie and fruit all in one!
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..Recipe Redux: Festive Garland BarsMy Profile

23 Olivia @ Life As Liv November 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I can 100% relate to that itch-you-can’t-scratch hunger. I basically invented that hunger. It may be super annoying to not know what the heck it is you’re craving but there’s nothing quite like the taste of that FINALLY satisfying food. Heaven.
Olivia @ Life As Liv recently posted..Learning to Let Go + FrEDom from PerfectionMy Profile

24 Kate November 20, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!! honestly I think 9 times out of 10 i NEVER get it, and the craving just goes aaway. ughh. today at the airport I was craving something, and I thought it was coffee with steamed soymilk (something one of my new friends gets all the time and I tried it and love it!), but in retrospect I think I just wanted the steamed soymilk haha. Oh well. Wish I had a milk steamer in my house, right? Hopefully whatever it is either goes away or speaks up more clearly for you!

25 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I didn’t get it this time either, so I’m thinking that it might have been due to a lack of sleep. At least it’s gone today! And I swear that sometimes I’m the same when it comes to coffee – I love my capps, but I wonder if there are times where I’m just craving some hot milk. Epitome of comfort, right there.

26 Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 11:12 pm

DO IT…get the fries and enjoy every last one! I don’t even eat beef and haven’t for the majority of my life but lately I’ve been craving some badly…particularly in a burger form! Looks my non-beef eating days are behind me…this craving needs to be nixed!

Lack of sleep definitely throws my hunger levels out of whack….no amount of food seems to put a dent in my hunger! Hope you manage to get in some extra zzzz’s tonight, girl!
Khushboo recently posted..Hanging overMy Profile

27 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate November 20, 2012 at 11:48 pm

This actually doesn’t happen to me too often because I have such a sweet tooth that my cravings always seem to be for dark chocolate. ALWAYS. :-)
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Spiced Walnut Pecan ButterMy Profile

28 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish November 21, 2012 at 1:15 am

Ahh, McD’s fries. They hold a special place in my heart, and remain the only burger-type fast food that I enjoy on an occasional basis. There’s something so simple–so wonderful about those fries! Maybe it’s that eating them invokes childhood nostalgia? Probably…but it’s also because they’re pretty damn delicious. ;) If you went that route tonight, I sure hope you enjoyed them!

I can definitely relate to the snacking conundrum; occasionally I experience intense cravings for one particular food, but most of the time I feel peckish for an undefined “something.” This often results in a bite of this, a bite of that, another bite of this, four bites of that, etc. etc. Rarely does eating like that satisfy my cravings, though!
Sara @ Nourish and Flourish recently posted..Pin-spiration, Plyometrics, and Pumpkin Spice Coconut MilkMy Profile

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm

McD’s fries have always been my fast food love as well! It might be nostalgia, but I’m more tempted to lean towards the fact that they’re just straight up delicious. Hot, crispy, salty… oh man. Add sweet and sour sauce to the mix and I’m in heaven.

30 Floey November 21, 2012 at 2:14 am

Yeah, I always crave weird things when I don’t sleep enough. Mostly salty I think. And then sweet. On and off. I’ll let you know tomorrow, as I have a 12hr shift today and it’s almost 2am and I’m not asleep yet. Hah hah.
Floey recently posted..Right Now.My Profile

31 Lucie November 21, 2012 at 2:52 am

Oh yes! Especially when I was out the night and only slept a few hours I crave carbs. Bread and more bread and pizza and pasta. BAM. If I have a craving frustration I mostly go for a huge spoon of AB. It always works. I love that coffee-winter-cup! So cute!
Have a lovely day Bella!
Lucie recently posted..Detox Day #3 – Shopping – MailMy Profile

32 Jun November 21, 2012 at 3:53 am

I think it definitely has something to do with lack of sleep.

I feel completely out of place when I experience sleep deprivation- it seldom occurs to us the significance of sleep to many of us, but go have a good sleep and you’ll feel all the difference!

Also, perhaps, if boredom happens to be the order of the day, or your mind is just constantly spinning, you can’t seem to focus on anything you do, you could go out for an exercise! Sweating will perk you up and you’ll feel better instantly.

Or, indulge in a square or two of chocolates, ha ha.

I hope you

33 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I never want to admit to myself how big of an impact a lack of sleep can make, but it’s definitely true. I got a better sleep last night and feel back to normal today :)

34 Jessica November 21, 2012 at 5:39 am

You should! Cravings should be had! If that’s the craving, it won’t go until you’ve had some…plus, it’s not like you live in McD’s, we all deserve treats, especially at this time of year!

I don’t know whether it’s constantly seeing coffee on your blog (and I mean good looking coffee) or what, but I am so obsessed with cappuccino at the moment. I was prepared to be all over the Christmas releases but no, I want a good, frothy cappuccino and nothing else!

As for snacking and sleeplessness, I hear you! ;-) I think in general when you chronically lack sleep, your body sort of feels out of wack in other areas too. I struggle with sleep and have to be really disciplined in bed-times and wake-times otherwise I end up similar…sleeping late and then not being able to get off when I need to be up for work. It’s nice in some ways though. I’m beginning to embrace mornings and my day seems a lot more productive when I’m fed, bathed and make-uped by 9:30 latest. I suck at power napping too…pain in the bum sometimes since they really seem to help others. One tip, not sure whether it works but I’ve read that two kiwis an hour before bedtime are supposed to help!? I’m sceptical… ;-)

Hope your sleep remedies itself soon! :-)

35 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I can’t give up my capps either – all the people at Bux already know what I’m going to order as soon as I walk in. Sometimes I think I should switch it up to mess with them, but I just love my foamy capps too much. And that’s interesting about the kiwi thing, but I don’t even think I’ve seen them around!

36 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 21, 2012 at 6:07 am

A lack of sleep totally throws off my hunger! Last week I was really sleep deprived and I swear I felt like I could eat a whole cow every day!

Oh McDonald’s fries… so salty and delicious! But if I’m going to McDonald’s for just one thing, I always go for a McFlurry. My sweet tooth always wins haha.
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..A weekend for myselfMy Profile

37 Laura November 21, 2012 at 6:15 am

Can I be super creepy for like, 2 seconds and just say that if we knew each other in real life we would PROBABLY be best friends. Well…maybe not BEST friends but we’d rock at the friendship thing.

When I get that feeling (which is more often than one can imagine) I usually drink tea and eat chocolate. I don’t know why, but the combo seems to put my stomach and my mind at ease.
Laura recently posted..Some Days, I Don’t WorkMy Profile

38 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

You can be super creepy for as many seconds as you like :P

39 Laura November 21, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Yessssss :-P
Laura recently posted..Some Days, I Don’t WorkMy Profile

40 Kat November 21, 2012 at 7:42 am

DOOOO IT!! I was craving mexican so I made my hubby pick me up some Chipotle and I ate is so fast I was absolutely stuffed. But it hit the spot in all the right places :) Sometimes no matter how hard we try to ignore what we really want or substitute something else, we wont feel satisfied until we give ourselves what we really want! So if you want some crispy fries, go for it. And next time your having problems figuring out what you want, I say start with fries ;)
Kat recently posted..Spiced Pumpkin Biscotti.My Profile

41 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

I was like that just the other day! Searching my cabinets/fridge/takeout menus for something, anything to satisfy whatever the heck I wanted. Nothing was sounding good to me, even though I was definitely hungry cuz the ol’ tummy was growling. Kind of frustrating when you can’t figure out what you want but it happens! That teddy is adorable, he looks very cozy haha. And I definitely get snacky when I’m sleepy, probably searching for some more energy!

You should :)
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #12: I Have No Food, Don’t Judge MeMy Profile

42 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) November 21, 2012 at 11:02 am

I say you should if you’re really feelin’ it :D Go for it and enjoy! Hope you’re able to 100% pinpoint the craving and satisfy it.

Happy Wednesday!!!

43 Hollie November 21, 2012 at 11:32 am

Oh coffee…I needed you everyday…. That looks like you had a ton of fun and have a great Thanksgiving!
Hollie recently posted..WIAW: At the Gas StationMy Profile

44 Brittany November 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm

When this happens to me I just want to scream! I can’t stand it when I eat and eat and eat and nothing satisfies me. If you think it’s those fries, GO GET THEM!! If it wasn’t then shit, enjoy it anyway!

45 Missy November 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm

You have to do it.
I mean…once the thought is there?
Am I right?
I guarantee that will be happening at least in the next month.
Missy recently posted..Most Likelys…or LikeliesMy Profile

46 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm

The thought was there. And you know me well :P

47 Allison @ Life's a Bowl November 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

How did the coffee swan dive end up? Hope it was a splashing success ;) Haha pardon the cornsterness I’m waiting in the lobby while Ryan’s in surgery- happy thoughts! And I have been super snacky lately too, but I also haven’t slept much lately… Maybe they’re related, not really sure, but what I am sure of is that breakfast for dinner is always acceptable and delicious! XO
Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Spinning Out of Control & WIAW 11.21.12My Profile

48 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Ack! Thinking of you and Ryan! Hope everything went okay <3 <3

49 Lisa November 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I’ve been needing coffee so much more lately ha. I’m an early bird but also a night owl. Kind of a lose lose situation there! When I get a bad night sleep, my stomach is constantly in a nit picky mood. It wants this and that and can’t decide on a true flavour that would satisfy its hunger. I already saw your instagram pic, so I know you satisfied that Mc. D’s craving and I think that’s awesome! Go with your cravings:)
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

50 Katy November 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I usually have that when I’m wanting something fizzy and I don’t usually drink fizz. Interesting.
Katy recently posted..My Thoughts on MedicationMy Profile

51 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 21, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’m ALWAYS more snacky when I don’t get enough sleep. I say give into the cravings!
I LOVE your bedspread, and I’m all about teddies. Nothing wrong with them. I have one that sits on our bed. Luvy draws the line at that! :)
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..WIAW #26 On The RoadMy Profile

52 Irina @ Chocolatea Time November 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I get horribly snacky if I don’t get enough sleep. It’s something I figured out in college (the ultimate sleep-deprivation period in my life). I also tend to gravitate towards carbs and sugar when this happens. It’s taken a long time for me to figure out how much sleep my body needs, but my body now thanks me :) Love your stuffed animal…I think we all need to keep at least a small piece of our childhood with us !
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..NYC AdventuresMy Profile