It’s hard to go wrong with the combination of bananas and chocolate, especially when it comes in the form of a deliciously dense loaf of bread that isn’t overly sweet or heavy feeling. In other words, it’s relatively healthy without seeming so.
Ingredients (makes one 9 x 5 loaf)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 large, ripe bananas (~1 cup mashed)
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF, and lightly grease a 9 x 5 bread pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until well combined and set aside.
- Melt your coconut oil by placing it in a microwave safe dish and heating for 15 seconds. Remove, stir, and repeat until no chunks remain.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla. Stir until well combined before adding the melted coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently. Do not overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips, mixing lightly.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, spreading it out evenly, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.