For the stuffed potatoes:
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) salsa of choice
- shredded cheese*
- guacamole or diced avocado
- pico de gallo or diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- Cook your sweet potatoes. Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C). Wash your sweet potatoes and prick them all over with a fork before placing them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and baking for 50-60 minutes, or until soft and tender.** When they are done, remove them from the oven and let them sit for about 10 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Prepare the filling. Add the oil to a medium skillet set over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the diced onion and cook until it is translucent and soft, ~2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a potato masher or the back of a fork to mash half the beans. Add all the beans along with the spices, salt, and salsa to the skillet, mixing well to ensure that everything is evenly distributed. Lower the heat, cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
- To serve, Slice each sweet potato lengthwise and use a fork to break up the flesh of each potato so that it looks almost mashed. If you want room for more filling, scoop out some of the flesh and set aside.
- Spoon a desired amount of filling into each sweet potato and top with desired toppings. If you’re using cheese, add that first and put the potatoes back into a warm oven for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts. Remove from the oven, add remaining toppings, and enjoy!
* To make these vegan, use a non-dairy cheese substitute.
** You can also cook your sweet potatoes in the microwave. Wrap them in a wet paper towel and nuke on high for 5 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Or bake them ahead of time and simply skip to step 2 when you’re ready to enjoy your stuffed sweet potato. I like to bake up a big batch of potatoes and store them in the fridge so that they’re ready to go when I need them.
*** Nutritional info is calculated based on sweet potato and filling ONLY.
Keywords: sweet potatoes, taco, black beans, healthy, vegan, gluten-free, recipe, dinner, vegetarian, easy, quick